Mothering Forum banner

Nov 2004 Mommies-Feb Thread

4K views 177 replies 24 participants last post by  tuffykenwell 
#1 ·
Here we go...

#3 ·
Hey guys..

Stacy..hope you don't mind, I used your location for posting that pic to the MD board siggy line

I'm doing ok..don't know how I got mastitis, unless it was because I switched bras that day from my really comfy one to my slightly small bravado...yesterday I was feverish but that broke overnight and today I'm just feeling icky and in pain..I have a big red spot on one boob that has clogged ducts but I'm sure it's not infected thanks to my breastfeeding answer book!!

well...Happy February all..1 week till I'm the big 3-9

#4 ·
aiee! so this is what they mean when they say time flies. my goodness.

lucretia, hazel's favorite game is standing up, too! she opens her mouth in this happy suprised look, then looks all proud. it just kills me every time.

thanks everyone for the nice comments! stace, that was the same day i *got* that haircut; it hasn't looked that good since, heh--mostly because i cannot be bothered to fuss with a hairdryer.

ava and meg, your girls are so cute! i love that sophia laugh, and ava is looking so grown up! love the hood, too. oh meg, the jumper is from wilkinet.com--all their stuff is reversible! whee. i'm so sorry to hear about your mastitis--hope you're feeling better soon.

little one is having such a time getting her morning nap today--it's 12:45 and we're still at it--sleeping for ten minutes, then waking up sad. poor little tearstained thing is sleeping in the sling now. i hope it sticks this time.

#5 ·
I'm going to cross post this on the lactation board, but hopefully you ladies can help clue me in!

The night before last when I fed Livi on the left side I had excrutiating pain. In the morning when I fed her on that same side again it was the same thing, and has been ever since. It is sore on the INSIDE, if that makes sense, not sore nipple. The pain is kind of localized in one spot on my areola that radiates up through my nipple and down into my breast. The pain is the most intense when my milk lets down, and then every time she sucks. When you look at it, all looks normal - no redness or anything like that. It is tender and kind of aches for a bit after feeding, as well.

This morning I decided to pump instead of nursing on that side, to see if it was any better. It didn't hurt quite as bad, but still hurt. I think the only reason it didn't hurt as bad was because I had the suction level on the pump down pretty low.

Any ideas??

#6 ·
Hi Monica:

you might have a plugged duct deep in the tissue where you can't feel it, but do a regula breast exam and see if you can find anything lumpish...if it's a plugged duct, apply a heating pad or moist heat, nurse often on that side and it will hopefully get better in a couple days. IF for any reason you get a fever of 101 or more, call your doctor, you probably have an infection. Otherwise, treat yourself as if you are coming down with something and rest and relax. I've had something similar but I could see the big red area on my breast since it was close to the surface..it's been 3 days and I'm feeling better.
If this is the case, nursing often on the side that has the problem is the best cure.

Best of luck

#7 ·
ouch, yup sounds like a plugged duct
here is a great site to check out;

Kelly Mom.com

You should nurse, nurse, nurse & pump too. Is you get right in it with nursing/pumping, warm packs/ showers it could clear up quickly (but still will be a little sore) Rice in a sock, microwaved is a really good warm pack

What you want is to "unclog" it. That is why all the nursing helps. Also a thing that works for alot of moms is straddling baby, with breast hanging down and nursing. (like on all fours) It sounds crazy, but it can work.

try to rest too mama!

#8 ·
Do you think it's yeast, Monica??? I had similar symptoms when we had yeast, he had it on his bum and in his mouth and I had painful letdown.

So I had Xander propped on his nursing pillow while I was straightening up and he fell asleep sucking his thumb. Now he's fallen asleep on the floor. Holy crap that kid's a dream. I am so not used to an hour of fighting, screaming and arms flailing for naps. Just sharing my amazement at how different kids really are.

My toddler says today after I offer him some trail mix "Peanuts aren't for eating, they're for looking at, they're yucky." Huh.

Off to conquer "heap dirty laundry" that's on my floor...

Annette

#9 ·
I don't think it is yeast. I checked over baby and she shows no signs of yeast. Also, I take a probiotic daily. I'll throw in some GSE for good measure, though.

It sounds like a plugged duct, although I gave myself a good exam and there are no lumps or redness. Thanks for the link and the info! I have my lavender heat pack on my boob right now, and I'll keep nursing and pumping on that side. Livi really is helping since she is having a good eats day! She has days where she just isn't very hungry, but thankfully today isn't one of them. Oh, and I don't have a fever - my temp is actually below normal.

I had to mail my snugglebum fleece sling back to Molly because it is too big. I'm still losing weight (I LOVE nursing! I get to eat like a pig!) and the more weight Livi gains the lower she is hanging. I hope we can survive until the XS arrives. I wear Livi in that sling every day and it is her favorite. I just tried wearing her in the Maya in all the positions and she wouldn't have it. She's lying on the floor next to me with her paci and seems to be content for the moment, with her little arms waving around.

#10 ·
Monica -- do not under estimate the power of ibuprofen. I've had every breastfeeding problem since Amelia was born 12 weeks ago -- mastitis, thrush, plugged ducts, cracked and blisted nipples. Ibuprofen really does provide relief from the pain. Nothing is worse than dreading nursing sessions. I've taken ibuprofen around the clock -- it also reduces inflamation. I am not a big fan of taking any drugs at all, but ibuprofen is not supposed to effect the baby, and I didn't want to give up nursing!

Also, the best thing I've done for plugged ducts is to lay on my belly in a hot bath (as hot as you can stand), let my breasts soak, and then massage my breasts and manually express the clog. Regular milk, when it hits the water, will instantly dissapate, sort of like fog. The clog, on the other hand, will come out looking like string and will float around the tub a bit. It will take a bit to start to get the clog moving. You may have to take several baths throughout the day, every few hours. But it is worth it! You can definitely get rid of a clog this way. Nurse or pump right after you get out of the tub.

Good luck!

#11 ·
Hey ladies! I have a friend w/a nb and he just looks so "new" compared to Bronwynn. I can't believe it's February! I have my 3 mo. pp exam on Feb. 14 and on March 2 I'm scheduled to get a Mirena IUD put in.

Monica, I'm so sorry you're in so much pain! I hope it clears up soon.

Jecaly, Bronwynn loves standing up too! She's gets so excited about it.

Here's some pics! I have to show off my cutie's! Evereyone's babies are just darling!!
http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeAM3Lho5aM2zFOg

Can't remeber who linked the pics of their baby in the KKAFP, but I wanted to give a big thanks! I wanted to order one so bad, but couldn't convince dh until I showed him those pics of how cozy and warm the baby looked!

#14 ·
Thanks!
I think so too!!! I probably won't post much, 'cuz I just don't have enough time to keep up with all the conversations w/being in school full time.

Hey Monica, did things clear up with Livi's bm? I sure hope so. Bronwynn was going a week in between bm's for all of her life until a week ago. I found myself always counting the days. Now in the last week, someone has replaced my child with one who poos 3-5 times a day! Now, my first dd pood 6-8 times per day, so this still isn't bad, but it's just so different! You get used to one thing and then they go and change on you!!! My mom said she never liked the baby phase much, but I just
it! I love their snuggly furry heads and the way they look after they've had a lovely meal of bm! I even love that their cries are still cute compared to a toddler's shriek. Anyway, better go for now.

#15 ·
Alisha - your girls are adorable!!! What pretty kidlets! I gave Livi a total of 4 suppositories, morning and night. After the first one she had two BM, then one after each of the others getting smaller each time. The last was Sunday morning and she hasn't pooped since. I'm *praying* she'll poop before tomorrow because if she doesn't, I'll have to take her in to the pediatrician. I really don't want to put her on any more medication. I hate that she has to be on prevacid for the reflux. I can't wait till I can take her off of it. I really wonder if it is what is causing her constipation. The Dr. said it only does in 1/2% of kids so there is no way. But then, why was she normal before??

Thanks, Shell, for the advise on the plug. I'll give it a try! I didn't even THINK of taking ibuprofen. I'll try the hot bath although I don't think I'll be able to take several throughout the day - Livi just won't go for that.

Anybody else's babes have cold hands and feet most the time? I can dress that girl in multiple layers, wrap her up in blankets, and her hands and feet are STILL cold.
(And we keep our heat set at 71F, not exactly an icebox.)

#16 ·
Anyone else noticed you are starting to lose tons of hair? Ugh...I hate it. It's so annoying to be washing or brushing your hair and ending up with hair all over me.

It's so nice today outside! It's at least 60 degrees and sunny. We went for a walk downtown this morning and the best part was that Children's Orchard, my very favorite children's resale shop, was having a big sale, and I didn't know. So, it was a wonderful surprise! I got bunches of cute girly clothes.
Hope everyone is doing okay. It's been knid of quiet the last few days.

#17 ·
So far so good on the hair, but I do know it's about 3 months post partum before that happens and that's not for a couple weeks for me

We're doign ok..just busy..got a blessing way to go to tonight, been selling off some of my diapers and other random stuff, etc. The post office is becoming my 2nd home

Hugs all

#18 ·
Alisha, I remember losing A LOT of hair with ds#1, and then it grew back and left it really annoying because there were all these short pieces at the bottom that wouldn't go into an elastic and just stuck out. And my hair us usually in an elastic due to having no time for hairdos these days. UGH, I assume that's what'll start soon here too. I'll be wearing
: for months.

Monica, even though I'm in Ontario and it's COLD here, I have the opposite problem, Xander gets too warm too fast. But so does his Daddy, so it comes honestly.

#19 ·
I'm losing hair, too. And my leg hair is back in full force (it stopped growing during pregnancy). I guess I'm back to normal!

Livi went to her first funeral today. She did pretty well, but I think all the people made her a bit nervous. She's used to just staying home with mama! She cried the whole way home in the car,
, but luckily it was a pretty short drive. I pulled over once to put her binky back in her mouth, but she had spit it out by the time we were moving again. Poor kidlet! I hate it when she cries in the car and I can't comfort her!

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MonikitaUT
I'm losing hair, too. And my leg hair is back in full force (it stopped growing during pregnancy). I guess I'm back to normal!

Me too! That's so funny! I had heard somewhere that your hair often grows faster during pregnancy, but my leg hair always slows down drastically. Still grows, but not so fast. I can go much longer w/o shaving.

Monica, Sorry to hear about the funeral. I'm glad Livi did well. I hate it too when they cry in the car. Bronwynn usually conks out after just a few minutes of crying, but Scheeli never did as a baby. She would cry until she got what she wanted, sometimes for hours at a time. Oh wait! She still does that! :LOL It can be so frustrating.

#21 ·
We just got back from Ava's first overnight trip. We drove north about 3 hours to a snow tubing place in North Carolina. Ava was amazing! She slept the whole drive, both ways! Ds slept about an hour each way too, so it was a very enjoyable car trip. The snow tubing was fun (I went a few times while dh held the baby), and Ava got lots of smiles in her little bonnet & gloves inside my sling. She didn't sleep well last night at the hotel, but I'm not about to complain.

Ds is calling...

#22 ·
Rowan's had a funeral too (a distant relative of dh, I had never met her). She was quiet, it was pretty much like church, which we do almost every week. She usually gets hungry right about time to leave, so we're always late but she's well fed and sleeps through the whole service, which impresses the old ladies.

Scheelimama, I'll have to remember Children's Orchard, in case I ever get up to Lawrence. (Not likely, we have a motel so we can never ever leave.)

We've passed the 3 month mark, but I haven't noticed any hair changes yet. But I'm still hopeful that the prego acne will go away someday. My face is fine, but it's on my arms and legs. Sigh. anybody else?

rowan is getting so talky! She goes on and on. I'm so looking forward to when she speaks in words so I can understand what she's trying to tell me. At this time I only get it in hindsight -- like yesterday she had just fed and I was taking my feeding turn, hoping to snarf a few bites before burping, and suddenly she was going aahhh aaahhh aaahh like she was talking to me, then a big wet burp came up. Should have listened.

And then she threw up again this morning . . . still haven't figured it out. I've quit all nuts and thought that was going to be it, but apparently not.

#23 ·
Richella,
Bronwynn has been quite the little talker too lately. She's been making sounds for several weeks, but the last two days she has really found her voice. She's just been talkin' up a storm. I had to leave the church service yesterday b/c she was making so much noise. It's totally adorable.

I didn't have hair changes until closer to 4 months pp last time. Just came a little earlier this time. Grrr.... Maybe it has something to do with the nursing too. My first was a champion nurser and nursed every hour and a half. This one isn't quite a champion nurser and likes to go longer in between feedings. Hmmm....

#24 ·
:

I thought I was going to have to take her to the pediatrician today. He said if she didn't poop within 5 days to bring her in. Well, that fell over the weekend so she got a couple extra days, and this morning while we were all still lying in bed she managed to get it out. Yea!!!! It had been since last Sunday. There were little solid pieces in with the mush, but mostly mush so I'm not going to take her to the doctor.

I gave her homemade gripe water (from a recipe an MDC mama gave me) on Friday and Saturday... I wonder if it helped at all or if she just got it out on her own. ?

It is sooo beautiful here this morning. We got about 3-4 inches of snow last night. I love snow! And DH is home from work today because he had a ski camp all weekend and knew I'd need a break. It's a good day.

Meg,
: I don't know if that is early, late, or on time, but I'm thinking of you.

#25 ·
How wonderful Monica! You know, Bronwynn used to go about a week in between bowel movements (from birth on until recently) and I used to worry about her. But about 2 weeks ago, she started pooping all the time, like 4-5 times a day!!! It's so weird. I kept thinking it was a fluke, but she has continued. I guess her bowels have matured enough now, they work like they are suppose to (for her that is, since I know it can be perfectly normal to go long periods for some babies.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.