June '04 Mamas - is it really February? - Page 13 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#361 of 442 Old 02-23-2005, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I had an unbelievable day yesterday and Monday. BeanBea's stitch was taken out Monday; the poor kid backed into a cabinet when the doctor walked in to the room. Then when we got in the car to leave, he said "We're going to see ChibiChibi. We're going to see BeastieBeast. We're going to see Nanny. We are not going to see the doctor!" It's a good thing he's healthy as a horse, I think he'd be happy never to see the doctor again. *sigh*

Afterwards, we went to a birthday party for a girl I've known since she was really small, but I haven't seen in a while. She turned 18, and I felt really freaking old! :LOL She's a sweet kid, though, and it was good to see her. I ate something there that disagreed with me, and felt sick and miserable and couldn't drive home Monday night, and that totally sucked. So I stayed Tuesday, had a huge fight with my sister because she yelled at BeanBean for no good reason (in other words, he wasn't about to kill or severely injure himself), and then I burned myself pretty badly by accidently spilling very hot, just-shy-of-boiling soup on my leg. I went to the ER with it because a few hours later it was very painful whenever I moved my leg or wore pants, which I sort of can't get out of. :LOL

Right now, BeanBean and BooBah are asleep with their little arms around each other. It's absolutely adorable. Last night, mom watched BeanBean try to hold BooBah and help her for the zillionth time, and asked if he "muchas" her this much at home. I said of course, that's why his grandmother got him the doll. His new baby doll is named "Sweet Andy" or just "Andy," because his grandmother told him that it's a Raggedy Andy doll. He's absolutely perfect, looks like a real baby but totally soft and cozy. I think he's adorable. BeanBean likes to cuddle him and talk to him, and throws him remarkably infrequently. I think if Andy was a bit heavier (felt more like BooBah) then he would never get thrown at all. :LOL

Teeth-- BooBah still doesn't have any. I think I can see where they'll be under her gums, but it still looks to me like teeth are a good month or two off, at least. Her gums still feel soft and smooth as when she was first born. :LOL She'll probably really enjoy them, but I'm in no hurry for them to show up. :LOL

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#362 of 442 Old 02-23-2005, 12:09 PM

Rynna I hope you're okay!

Infant development called yesterday at the last moment to say she couldn't make it, and to reschedule. I told her about the x-rays, and the peds opinion, and that I'll call her to reschedule if the physiotherapist sees anything of concern. I'm keeping the physio appointment just to be thorough, and because I think it'll be interesting. Thats not until March 2nd.

I think I've got a mild case of mastitis. I'm sore on the right side, and I've got a reddish area thats a bit warm... no fever though, so I'm just getting Caitlin to nurse as much as possible. I pumped a bit yesterday. I've never had mastitis before. The kids are getting over their colds. I think I am too.

Last night after Caitlin was finished one of her nursings, she decided it was time to play. I was ignoring her trying to get to sleep, and she was going "AAAAAAHHHHH!!!" then she'd pause & wait for me to do/say something then "AAAAAAHHH!!!" So I got Kevin to take her to the livingroom. I had 3 hours of sleep the night before, and with possibly getting mastitis I *really* needed to sleep. He swaddled her & laid down on the couch with her & they both fell asleep out there until 1amI don't remember them coming back to bed, so I must've been in a deep sleep

We've got another counsellor appointment tonight. Kevin went & got anti depressants on Monday, but it'll be a while before they kick in... he takes them at suppertime because he's supposed to take them about 4 hours before bed. he's actually been going to bed at 9:30 or so, which is good (he gets up for school at 5:15) I think the counselling is making a big difference.

Tommorow is LLL enrichment. Im facilitating the meeting... the topic is breastfeeding & dental health. I think it'll be fun.

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#363 of 442 Old 02-23-2005, 12:53 PM

Rynna- Ouch! I hope you heal quickly. And to your sister for yelling at BeanBean.

Mummoth- I highly recommend taking a nice HOT bath and leaning over in the tub so that your sore breast is in the water and massaging and expressing milk into the water. I'm always amazed at what my milk looks like when I do that but it really helps. I usually bring the baby in when the water cools enough for her to be there. If you can't do that then try laying the baby on your bed and getting on all fours over her to nurse her. Using gravity to help the clog is usually pretty helpful. Also putting a warm pack or wash cloth on it while you are nursing sometimes works too. Good Luck and get some rest! Hope you feel better soon!
#364 of 442 Old 02-23-2005, 01:00 PM
Banned

is this one new or did i just never see it before?

you know, i didn't even think about any other type of seat! :LOL

Rynna-hope you feel better soon...

3 teeth at once! geez.

mum-glad the counseling is already working. sleep definitely improves things too!

both my kids are freaking out, i guess i'll go
#365 of 442 Old 02-23-2005, 01:18 PM

Oh, I'm going to live, it's just irritating. They kept asking me how painful it was, and I said "Just enough to piss me off." :LOL It's still at that level. They sent me home with vicodin, which I most assuredly will not take, it's not nearly painful enough to merit that! : I know if I took the vicodin it would be too much pain relief, and I'd get high and I work extra hard to avoid that.

My toilet backed up this morning. After trying to clean up a bit and turning off the water, I called Mike and told him that I really can't manage it; the vaccuum woke up both kids and they were hysterical about it. So I planned to just get in the shower, get dressed and take the kids somewhere. Trouble is, neither of them is cooperating. Surprise, surprise, who could imagine a two year old and an eight month old not cooperating with their mother's well-intentioned plans? BeanBean is holding an old phone, singing "this is my Sony, this is my Sony, I've got my Sony..." and BooBah just finished nursing and is trying to find things to put into her mouth. I will make another effort to get into the shower; I really can't go anywhere without one, unfortunately.

Oh-- My sister yelled at BeanBean and told him he couldn't sit at the table and eat with his cousins because he'd peed on the floor. I kid you not! The kid is two years old, and I couldn't be in four places at once and she yelled at him for that. The most ironic part of all is that I spent a fair bit of my childhood cleaning up her pee-- she wet the bed at least 6 nights out of 7 until she was 13, and it was always my job to clean her, her bed, and her laundry. Never once in all that time did *anyone* thank me for washing my sister, her sheets, and her bed every day. I don't think it's too much to ask that she not yell at my two year old and threaten to starve him just because he had an accident on the floor. In fact, I don't think it's asking too much for her to just clean it up and chalk it up to karma. But maybe I'm expecting too much from her.

#366 of 442 Old 02-23-2005, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy
Oh, I'm going to live, it's just irritating. They kept asking me how painful it was, and I said "Just enough to piss me off." :LOL It's still at that level. They sent me home with vicodin, which I most assuredly will not take, it's not nearly painful enough to merit that! : I know if I took the vicodin it would be too much pain relief, and I'd get high and I work extra hard to avoid that.
Are they tablets? If so, you could take 1/2 pill if necessary.

#367 of 442 Old 02-23-2005, 01:39 PM

Rynna, glad you are okay.

Mum, I'm so happy to hear about the counseling working so well for you guys. The fact that your DH took over so you could sleep last night, and a few other things you've mentioned like that...it seems like he is really trying. Good for you guys! Regarding mastitis. Hot compresses worked for me. To make this easier, someone recommended I put a bunch of wash cloths and water in my crockpot and just leave it plugged in all day. That way right before you nurse you can grab an already prepared compress. The bathtub idea and the all fours nursing has also been employed with varying degrees of success in this household. Good luck with it...take it as easy as the kids will let you. Mastitis is UGLY.

Has anybody else's baby just started phasing out (or in my case, never really taking) morning naps? Flora has NEVER settled into a good napper. She now takes about a 20-30 minute nap in the morning and then an hour to two hour nap in the afternoon. But she generally goes to sleep by 9pm and only wakes to nurse until 7 am. Is that possibly enough sleep for a baby? She doesn't act tired but it's wearing ME out.

Gotta go. Fussing.
#368 of 442 Old 02-23-2005, 01:40 PM

Awwww! Roland was just 'reading' Caitlin The Three Bears!! I've read it to him so many times he's got it memorized. It's one of his favorites. His all-time favorite is The Lorax, which *I've* got memorized... it's NOT a short book, and I DON'T memorize thinks very easily, so that should tell you how frequently the book has been read. It's always been handled gently and it's still needed repairs a few times.

#369 of 442 Old 02-23-2005, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girlsmommy
Mummoth- I highly recommend taking a nice HOT bath and leaning over in the tub so that your sore breast is in the water and massaging and expressing milk into the water. I'm always amazed at what my milk looks like when I do that but it really helps. I usually bring the baby in when the water cools enough for her to be there. If you can't do that then try laying the baby on your bed and getting on all fours over her to nurse her. Using gravity to help the clog is usually pretty helpful. Also putting a warm pack or wash cloth on it while you are nursing sometimes works too. Good Luck and get some rest! Hope you feel better soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by seedling
Mum, I'm so happy to hear about the counseling working so well for you guys. The fact that your DH took over so you could sleep last night, and a few other things you've mentioned like that...it seems like he is really trying. Good for you guys! Regarding mastitis. Hot compresses worked for me. To make this easier, someone recommended I put a bunch of wash cloths and water in my crockpot and just leave it plugged in all day. That way right before you nurse you can grab an already prepared compress. The bathtub idea and the all fours nursing has also been employed with varying degrees of success in this household. Good luck with it...take it as easy as the kids will let you. Mastitis is UGLY.
Thanks for this. So far I've found that nursing her with her chin on the side of the blockage has made a big difference. I haven't tried the bath, but I hand expressed into a receiving blanket whenever I started to feel full between feeds in the night.

We're going to my moms house for lunch, and Roland is staying there for the afternoon, so I'll be getting a big break today. I might even get to take a nap with Caitlin if she's so inclined this afternoon!

Yes, Kevin really has been trying lately. Suprisingly, getting up in the night has usually been something he's willing to do. He's not nearly as entertaining to Caitlin as I am, so she pretty much goes to sleep right away once he's in charge. I've always said "...for half an hour" in the night, so he always know when he'll be going back to bed even if she doesn't go back to sleep. He pretty much taken over laundry, and that's been a major help.

Oh my! Caitlin likes blueberries! She's actually chewing... thats the first time I've seen her do that!!! Hmmm... I think it was a good judgement call stripping her down for this meal... she looks like a little Smurf!! :LOL

#370 of 442 Old 02-23-2005, 03:06 PM

My midwife doesn't recommend the cabbage leaf cure, but I know some women swear by it. Others say it can dry up your milk.

My midwife *does* recommend putting castor oil on the breasts and getting into a hot shower. She says the castor oil and heat will cause the milk to just wwwwhooooosssssshhhh out. I haven't tried this though.
#371 of 442 Old 02-23-2005, 03:34 PM

I can't do cabbage leaves anyway... anything cold makes my Raynauds act up. I wonder if any kind of oil would work... I've got grapeseed, olive & canola :LOL It's feeling a bit better now... Caitlin had a big nurse a while ago. She's such a helpful little sucker

#372 of 442 Old 02-23-2005, 03:40 PM

rynna-wow! i hope you feel better soon. that is awful what your sister did.

Mummoth-I hope your mastitis clears up. I sometimes wondered if I could still get it...apparently it's possible.

Gavin is still not eating other than bm. I tried to cook him carrots today. He played with them, but not interested. I feel like he is just losing weight. I may have to try more fruit. He sucked on a mango not to long ago and loved it. I got a book from my lc about feeding infants whole foods as opposed to jarred baby foods. I need to read up.

Logan is so sick right now. He is running a high temp. All my children (bio and childcare kids) have gotten this weird flu bug that is floating around. Hopefully I won't get sick.

Better go...crying baby
#373 of 442 Old 02-23-2005, 08:15 PM

It sounds like everyone is having a L-O-N-G week, with being sick and fussy teething babes and trips to the ER. I hope everything calms down for all of us soon!

Killy had his 9-month appt today and he is wonderfully healthy! (Bragging ahead - feel free to skip!) He's 22lb 9oz and at the 80th percentile for weight, 29.75 inches and at the 90th percentile for height. The pediatrician was impressed with his crawling and cruising, and that he's using three words regularly (mama, dada, and duck -- she said how many they'd expect at 12 months, I didn't mention that he also uses a couple signs and there are a couple other words I think I've heard him use once or twice, but not regularly), and really impressed that he's doing both. She said usually babies tend to have the either the crawling or the verbal skills by this age, but rarely both. Go, Killy! We're doing delayed/selective vaxing, and he did okay with his two shots - cried for about three minutes and then napped in the car. The Dr. also said we could stop mashing up his food and just give him table food - cool! I never made the really watery baby food like you get in jars, though - just fork mashing, so its not much of a change. It was a short checkup and she said everything was great. Since we live in an older house (lead concern) and Killy's breastfed she reccomended testing for anemia sometime between now and 15 months, and since we didn't have this house checked for lead when we bought it I'll probably agree to that.

Oh, and I LOVE the new smilies, too!

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#374 of 442 Old 02-23-2005, 09:38 PM

QoC-- That diaper on Killy's head is absolutely adorable! :LOL

BooBah, BeanBean, and I took off for the yarn store I've been wanting to visit. I had a great time, and the kids actually did really well. I had a great time, everyone was very sweet and helpful, and when I switched the kids and put BooBah in the stroller & BeanBean in the sling so he could nurse, one woman giggled and said "awww!" and everyone else just smiled and wondered at my dexterity.

I also took an application to the library to apply for the most perfect position-- one evening a week and one weekend a month! It'll be absolutely brilliant if I can get it, I'll have exactly what I wanted, a little bit of time away from the kids, but not so much time that I'd have to work really hard on childcare arrangements. Mike would just have to get home from work on time once a week, and he says he can manage that. :

#375 of 442 Old 02-23-2005, 10:35 PM

QoC sounds like you had a great dr visit. Rynna, glad you had a good afternoon. Mum, hope the mastitis keeps clearing up. Prmom, hope everyone in your care is healthy soon.

Vent ahead...

How would you feel if your baby had had ONE 20-30 minute nap all day and you then had to take your oldest to dance class, you walked to the grocery store and got some stuff for dinner while she was in class instead of sitting on your butt and enjoying a latte like usual, you busted it home, wrangled both kids inside and started a marathon of playing pirate/nursing mom/cook. You did this for TWO HOURS all the while wondering where the (censored word here) your DH is b/c you were expecting him home at 5:30 with a bag of cat food in one hand and a bag of cat litter in the other like you called and requested at 3:30. Instead, you get a phone call at 6:15 saying that he's JUST leaving work and STILL has to get gas. You say, forget the cats, just get home. He walks in at 6:45 and tells you "That game I wanted to watch comes on at 7:00". How would you feel? You've busted your hiney all day, you still have to feed and bathe and get both kids to bed, then clean up from dinner, put away the day's laundry and work another hour and a half before going to bed yourself. What would you say? DH and I got into an ugly fight tonight. And "I'm" the one who blew it all out of proportion. Heck, I could've just made grilled cheese sandwiches. If I'd KNOWN that he wasn't gonna be home till 6:45! AND...he's got class tomorrow night so I'm on my own again. I HATE HATE HATE HATE sports. I HATE THEM.
#376 of 442 Old 02-23-2005, 10:41 PM

seedling- :HUGS Where's the butt kicking smiley! I think I would have loosened the cable to the cable box so he couldn't watch the !@#$ game. But I'm a snot like that!
#377 of 442 Old 02-23-2005, 10:48 PM

Seedling, I'd have ripped someone a new one, and I can promise there would be no game-watching! OMG, just reading that really pissed me off! Maybe because I have a cold/sore throat and dh came home for 30 minutes at 8 o'clock and then left to go have a late dinner with some people from work! Now I get to work on getting both kids to bed by myself. While I'm sick!

Rynna, I really hope you get that job. It just sounds perfect. Oh, I hope your leg is feeling better!
#378 of 442 Old 02-23-2005, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedling
How would you feel if your baby had had ONE 20-30 minute nap all day and you then had to take your oldest to dance class, you walked to the grocery store and got some stuff for dinner while she was in class instead of sitting on your butt and enjoying a latte like usual, you busted it home, wrangled both kids inside and started a marathon of playing pirate/nursing mom/cook. You did this for TWO HOURS all the while wondering where the (censored word here) your DH is b/c you were expecting him home at 5:30 with a bag of cat food in one hand and a bag of cat litter in the other like you called and requested at 3:30. Instead, you get a phone call at 6:15 saying that he's JUST leaving work and STILL has to get gas. You say, forget the cats, just get home. He walks in at 6:45 and tells you "That game I wanted to watch comes on at 7:00". How would you feel? You've busted your hiney all day, you still have to feed and bathe and get both kids to bed, then clean up from dinner, put away the day's laundry and work another hour and a half before going to bed yourself. What would you say?
I'd have said a lot of things which can only be posted on MDC thusly: : Then I'd tell my husband very politely that I was leaving, that x,y, and z need to happen and that I couldn't care less about his game as long as those things are accomplished, and I'd walk out the door.

#379 of 442 Old 02-24-2005, 12:54 AM

Finally put new photos on the yahoo group site, if anyone is interested.

Vents and bragging and trips to the ER...oh my! No one need apologize as far as I'm concerned.

My dh is working in the Bahamas, Orlando and back to the Bahamas...then to nyc and I might go this time 'cos MIL will pay for dd's ticket. It will interfere with dd's Shakespeare thing so I'll have to sound her out...I am fed up with the whole thing...
#380 of 442 Old 02-24-2005, 11:38 AM
Banned

Wow Liz, your dd DOES look really different! And I cannot believe how much hair Rowan has! Goodness! My Rowan is so bald...

I've been working on website/product stuff. It's coming along. I need to meet with a local vendor next week. I feel really unprepared for that, at least as far as having any inventory goes...

Rynna-your sister sounds like a real piece of work-you know, similar to mine!

Ro is better but Tain is still sick. We had him in bed with me last night, even though we are weaning away from my bed, so dh could get some solid sleep. It worked with only minimal irritation on my part and I think everyone slept better.

I'm obviously a little fuzzy this morning b/c I can't think of anything else to say!

Have a great day...
#381 of 442 Old 02-24-2005, 11:59 AM

I forgot to sign up for the yahoo group. Can someone tell me how to get there?
#382 of 442 Old 02-24-2005, 12:46 PM

Poor Lily had her first fever last night. I woke up around 2:30 and realized that she was HOT. I took her temp and it was 101.5. She didn't sleep well at all. She is finally sleeping in my arms right now. I think it is teeth related although doctors always tell you NO! My kids have always had a runny nose and a fever when they got teeth.

Rynna- I hope your leg is feeling better.

Seedling- I hope things got better last night.

Julie- I'm glad Ro is better and I hope Tain is all better soon.

I took the girls to the library yesterday. I've been wanting to start reading the Little House series to the girls. I got Little HOUse in the Big Woods. They loved it and they are talking about it right now.
#383 of 442 Old 02-24-2005, 01:18 PM

Isabel loves the Little House books too. We just have one but she really likes it. I'll have to check our local library.

Things did get better last night. I feel kind of like a jerk. DH contends that he didn't realize it was 6:45 when he announced that the game came on at 7:00. I jumped down his throat when he said the game was coming on b/c I thought he was saying he was going to go watch it and we could eat alone or eat with him in front of the tv and that made me so mad b/c I'd made a really nice dinner under stressful conditions. Anyway, he simply didn't realize what time it was. He ate dinner with us and helped with pj's and stuff during commercials and at half time. I was still angry with him and was until we sat down and talked about it after the game was over and the kids were in bed. Basically, both of us have been really bad about assuming the worst of each other lately. I said something last week that he totally took the wrong way and got his panties all wadded up about and it was totally innocent on my part. I assumed the worst of him last night. I'm totally sure that all this strife in our relationship is still adjustment stuff to life as four. I've still not got my period back and my libido is so low it's ridiculous. That's really important to him and when that part of our relationship is rocky, the rest is too. Plus we are both working so hard right now. It's just hard to not feel like "if I'm working so hard, he (or she) must be slacking off". Anyway, we agreed to try to use a silly phrase to redirect next time this happens...so when I start going off on him or vice versa, the other person uses the silly phrase to difuse the situation and remind the irrate person that we're really not out to get each other. Kind of the same idea as using silliness to get Isabel to do something she doesn't want to do. We'll see if it works. We both agree that we are modeling horrible behavior for the kids. The thing is, we both WANT to be good parents and good partners. It's so disheartening to try so hard and still mess up so frequently.

Anyway, I'm supposed to be working so I'd better go. Thanks for all the hugs last night.

Can anybody post the link to the yahoo group for Doodlebugsmom? I'll try to figure out how to do that later if no one else does!
#384 of 442 Old 02-24-2005, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I forgot to sign up for the yahoo group. Can someone tell me how to get there?
Go here to sign up. Any of the new mamas who want to join are welcome too! Just be sure to tell me your user name so I know who you are! And if you want, you can post your name and address in the database so we can send cards or fairy each other! You can also post pictures privately here.

Speaking of photos...there were a bunch I hadn't seen! Super-cute!

I added one of Lil too - her Valentine pic!
#385 of 442 Old 02-24-2005, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Basically, both of us have been really bad about assuming the worst of each other lately. I said something last week that he totally took the wrong way and got his panties all wadded up about and it was totally innocent on my part. I assumed the worst of him last night. I'm totally sure that all this strife in our relationship is still adjustment stuff to life as four. I've still not got my period back and my libido is so low it's ridiculous. That's really important to him and when that part of our relationship is rocky, the rest is too. Plus we are both working so hard right now. It's just hard to not feel like "if I'm working so hard, he (or she) must be slacking off". Anyway, we agreed to try to use a silly phrase to redirect next time this happens...so when I start going off on him or vice versa, the other person uses the silly phrase to difuse the situation and remind the irrate person that we're really not out to get each other. Kind of the same idea as using silliness to get Isabel to do something she doesn't want to do. We'll see if it works. We both agree that we are modeling horrible behavior for the kids. The thing is, we both WANT to be good parents and good partners. It's so disheartening to try so hard and still mess up so frequently.
Seed ~ Big I can relate to so much of what you wrote. I think it's great that you guys are talking about it. My libido is pretty low too but I've found that if I "take one for the team" every once in a while (even when I would SOOOO rather ) it really helps us feel more connected...which makes DH want to be more helpful with Lily...which makes my life easier...which actually makes my libido less than totally non-existent!
#386 of 442 Old 02-24-2005, 03:12 PM

Thanks for the link, Erin, but I can't get it to work!
#387 of 442 Old 02-24-2005, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Ummm....yeah. That would be 'cause I posted a link to nowhere! :LOL

Try it now.
#388 of 442 Old 02-24-2005, 04:05 PM

Cool. It worked! My name there is momto2doodlebugs.
#389 of 442 Old 02-24-2005, 04:53 PM
Banned

My mom read us all the Little House books and we loved them. She even named my younger sister Carrie :LOL Those are really loving bedtime memories...

seedling- so glad things are better. I have had more than my share of feeling like a total jerk once we talked things over. it's amazing how much better things get once you have the time to really talk to each other. good for you guys.
#390 of 442 Old 02-24-2005, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjule
I have had more than my share of feeling like a total jerk once we talked things over.
Oh, me too. For sure!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page