June '04 Mamas - is it really February? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 442 Old 02-07-2005, 08:26 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am a little late on the response but I thought it was noteworthy anyway. We seem to have the opposite problem you have. Dh is onboard, we parent very similarly, he really listens when I tell him something he is doing doesn't work with Tain. It's Tain that is the issue. He doesn't listen, he is totally bratty, he is mean. So I started giving dh credit for all sorts of things. "Look Tain! Daddy brought you a treat! Did you say thank you Daddy for the treat?" I realized that I was calling dh to active duty when I was strung out and DONE so Tain learned that Daddy is the bad guy, even though he really isn't. It's crazy, especially with a kid with limited language, but it does work to start a dialogue between your child and your spouse. Sometimes both sides forget that the other is a PERSON. Having more than a disciplinary relationship helps your kids be better behaved when your dh is around. And I totally feel the pressure to have perfect angels in front of family. It seems like all I hear about other ppl's kids is that they are beautiful and well mannered. Mine is handsome, but a bit of a hellion. I put that undercurrent in the situation, then he freaks out more than normal, which makes me more tense, which makes him freak out more...

Liz-loved the names. :lmao

Just got back from the surgeon. First of all, our ped was right, he is great with kids. He even got Tain to smile and Tain let him pick him up! He complimented me on how good my kids were and how nice and well-fed. Then he told me Tain needs surgery. I am glad we are getting this taken care of. I am glad I was right. On all counts. He has a hernia, it is on the right side, it does need surgery. It should be pretty easy. He goes under general anesthesia and the dr will give him a local right before he wakes up so he won't be in pain. I thought that was nice. I was concerned that he would be feeling *too* good but the dr said that it is unrealistic to expect them to not act their age so he better put him back together with the assumption he'll try to elbow drop his brother when he gets home. Did I say I loved this dr??! It should happen in the next couple weeks...

I agree that the news you get isn't always what you'd like to hear, but it is so much better to know and have tools to use IMO. That is what I am wondering about the OCD thing. I don't want to make the appt until Tain's surgery is over and he has recovered so it will still be a while before I know anything for sure.

I made a new carrier that fixed some of the design flaws of my other one. It is really pretty. Chinese silk print, copper with blue dragons that look really blue and matte at the right angle. I put Ro in it on my back at the dr. So far so good... I am seriously considering making them for a business. They only take me a little over an hour from start to finish-much faster than any other project I've done. I can make them out of inexpensive fabrics or expensive ones so the price can be affordable, especially for retail. The wheels are churning...

Balancin-You should only need 20" (5/8 of a yd if that is easier). And make sure the lining and straps is a strong twill with no stretch.

Oh, I am a SAHM, with a cottage industry I make no effort to get off the ground.
#122 of 442 Old 02-07-2005, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummoth
He says "Gimme 10!" & holds out both his hands for Roland to smack when he notices he's got a hand down his pants (frequently )Unfortunetly, Rolands wising up to it & has started saying "Too busy!" :LOL
: :LOL :LOL : That's hilarious! BeanBean has been learning that "it's private." Today, he shoved both hands down his pants and said, "my penis is private." "Yes," I told him. "Mamma, is your vulva is private?" "Yes." "BooBah's vulva is private. BooBah does not have a penis." "Yes, that's right."

I guess all little boys are obsessed with their penises. Ah, who am I kidding, a lot of the big ones are, too.

Quote:
I was kindof expecting her to go "You silly woman, quit wasting my time, your daughter is perfectly fine" but she didn't
I've been there.

My niece with Asperger's didn't roll over or sit up or crawl until she'd been in therapy for a while. She's got some major issues, though, and they're definately not physical in origin. I really hope all goes well for your little girl.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#123 of 442 Old 02-07-2005, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Oh, Im a SAHM too. we have a basement suitre for extra income, but it's vacant right now. There are a few minor repairs that need to be done before we can rent it out again & DH hasn't gotten his butt in gear yet! I like not worrying about Roland stomping around, so I haven't been nagging nearly as much as I should

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#124 of 442 Old 02-07-2005, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjule
I made a new carrier that fixed some of the design flaws of my other one. It is really pretty. Chinese silk print, copper with blue dragons that look really blue and matte at the right angle. I put Ro in it on my back at the dr. So far so good... I am seriously considering making them for a business. They only take me a little over an hour from start to finish-much faster than any other project I've done. I can make them out of inexpensive fabrics or expensive ones so the price can be affordable, especially for retail. The wheels are churning...
Let's see some pictures!

#125 of 442 Old 02-07-2005, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy
: :LOL :LOL : That's hilarious! BeanBean has been learning that "it's private." Today, he shoved both hands down his pants and said, "my penis is private." "Yes," I told him. "Mamma, is your vulva is private?" "Yes." "BooBah's vulva is private. BooBah does not have a penis." "Yes, that's right."

I guess all little boys are obsessed with their penises. Ah, who am I kidding, a lot of the big ones are, too.

I've been there.

My niece with Asperger's didn't roll over or sit up or crawl until she'd been in therapy for a while. She's got some major issues, though, and they're definately not physical in origin. I really hope all goes well for your little girl.
Yep, we have that one every day. A few weeks ago, he didn't put the seat up properly when he went pee & it crashed back down on him. He came out to me & in this pathetic little voice said "Mommy, snuggle my penis!" Dh & I just : : Poor kid. Of couse, every time DH has propositioned me since, he's used that line (stangely enough, my response is usually : uh....NO! )

I hope all goes well for your DD too.

I know you all are probably bored to death with our eczema issues, but I *think* I've got some good news for once. The past 2 weeks, Caitlin hasn't had a flare up!! I've been avoiding tomatos, eggs & citrus. The only patches left are slightly pink cheeky-poos (and that's cute!!) Posting this is the final test, to make sure it's jinx-proof :LOL If all goes well for the next 10 days - 2 weeks, I'll have a cirtussy day one week, a tomatoey day the next & then an eggy day the week after that (waiting for any rashes to clear in between) I really hope this is it. I'm down to patch treating her twice daily, from head to toe four times daily with hydracortizone

#126 of 442 Old 02-07-2005, 10:58 PM

I'm glad to hear Caitlin seems to be getting over the eczema! Wow, I hope it's for good!

Well, dd is about as into her yoni as some of the boys seem to be into their penises! She likes to go without pants and undies since she started using the potty, so she's finally been exploring her yoni. I actually think she's doing it later than most kids. The other day I walked into her playroom and she was on the floor in an odd position and I asked her what she was doing. "Trying to open my yoni, Mommy!" :LOL She always says, "baby Juian has a penus. I don't have a penus, I have a yoni!" Yes, she pronounces it "penus". Kind of like peanuts.

Julie, poor Tain. I would be worried sick about my child having surgery. At least it sounds like a pretty easy, routine procedure. I'd still be a little worried though.
#127 of 442 Old 02-07-2005, 11:26 PM
Banned

Strangely, I'm not. I am terrified of it becoming an incarcerated hernia (silly name). That is when the intestines get stuck and the blood supply is cut off. They will experience extreme pain and bowel obstruction and could lose that part of their intestines if it isn't operated on immediately. It is very dangerous and far more complicated and life threatening. The only way to avoid that possibility is to have the surgery so I will be a lot less worried when it is over. Especially with the way kids his age move their bodies and tense when they cry, you just never know if it is going to happen. And he's had the hernia since Jan 22 so I feel like I am on borrowed time as it is.

well, ro has found the m&m's tain spilled.

I'll try to get dh to take a pic of the carrier tonight.

i never get tired of hearing about caitlin's excema! i am so happy for you both!!!

tain is surrounded by men so he'll run off a litany of who has a penis. the most i get is "mommy no have a penis" and i say, "no, mommy has a vagina" (dh and i had the talk about what term to use. i personally don't care and that is what dh liked best. and i *do* have one) and he says "no, mommy no have a penis" so evidently i don't have my own genitals, I simply lack a male's. But then again according to Tain Rowan has little nursies (breasts and nipples interchangeably) and Tain has big nursies and mommy has big nursies but mommy doesn't have bigger nursies than Tain. I really wish he would pick language up faster. There is no way he comprehends what Eli told you, Rynna. Tain is definitely more athletic and less academic. Which puts me at a loss since I am the exact opposite. He isn't stagnating so I am not worried, but it is difficult when he is "huh?"ing me all the time.
#128 of 442 Old 02-07-2005, 11:27 PM
Banned

oh, and Roland is the funniest little man I have ever heard!!
#129 of 442 Old 02-08-2005, 11:24 AM

Mummoth-Just have to say. I have appreciated hearing your insight re: excema. Thanks to your suggestion of fragrance free aveeno, for the first time in a long while Gavin actually has smooth skin. Thanks!

Logan is always asking me about penises and vaginas. At first he would ask me if I had a penis and I, of course said "no". then he asked me how I peed and said "so, do you pee out of your butt?" I explained to him that i have a vagina and he said "oh...i didn't know that" He is so cute! He is also into asking me why I am married and how did he get parents? Interesting questions .

Well, I took Gavin to the doctor yesterday. He doesn't have RSV or anything too scary, but they put him on Zythromax to see if that clears up his respiratory infection. I was up so much last night and at one point I just started crying b/c I feel like he is just so miserable and I just can't make him feel better. Hopefully, this tx will work. I need to find time to get some probiotics as well. I rarely have time to leave the house.
#130 of 442 Old 02-08-2005, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Yep, we have that one every day. A few weeks ago, he didn't put the seat up properly when he went pee & it crashed back down on him. He came out to me & in this pathetic little voice said "Mommy, snuggle my penis!" Dh & I just : : Poor kid. Of couse, every time DH has propositioned me since, he's used that line (stangely enough, my response is usually : uh....NO! )
: Oh that poor child! :LOL ml: I always feel so bad laughing about things like that, I bet he was really upset, but it's so hard! The other night in the car, BeanBean kept saying the same phrase, over and over again, and I was turning purple trying not to laugh out loud. (I believe it was "Holy S***!") I couldn't talk for about 5 minutes, I just sat there shaking with laughter and turning purple, not making a sound. :

Quote:
I *think* I've got some good news for once. The past 2 weeks, Caitlin hasn't had a flare up!! I've been avoiding tomatos, eggs & citrus. The only patches left are slightly pink cheeky-poos (and that's cute!!)
Are you kidding, that's wonderful news! As if we'd want to stop hearing about her eczema just when it's starting to get better! I wanted to add something about the tomatos; if it turns out that they are one of her triggers, you'll need to avoid eggplant, too, because they're closely related. This may not be an issue for you at all, but everyone I've met has either loved or hated eggplant, so I thought I'd let you know in case your on the love side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjule
tain is surrounded by men so he'll run off a litany of who has a penis. the most i get is "mommy no have a penis" and i say, "no, mommy has a vagina" (dh and i had the talk about what term to use. i personally don't care and that is what dh liked best. and i *do* have one) and he says "no, mommy no have a penis" so evidently i don't have my own genitals, I simply lack a male's
Interestingly enough, my niece did the same thing only backwards; everyone had either a vagina or no vagina for ages. She didn't really understand about penises until my nephew was born, and when he came to visit she and her sister would stand and stare while he had his diaper changed. The first time, ChibiChibi screamed quietly and said in a hushed, sickbed sort of voice, "Nanny, what's wrong with his vagina?!" :LOL I almost fell off the couch laughing. Her sister wasn't speaking well at that point, but she would stare with her brow furrowed, trying to figure it all out. :LOL

Hm. I just told BeanBean that he could get a Pop Tart (heck no I didn't buy them! ) if he wanted to, and he came back with a bottle of Mylicon. "Pop Tarts are yucky. I want medicine!" It's mostly empty anyway, because of the *last* time he grabbed it and started drinking it, dipping the dropper in and sucking up little bits at a time. What a freaky little man! Ah, well, at least it's not going to hurt him.

I got my period this morning. It was so strange, I had to stop and think about it for a moment. :LOL I've had a tummy ache for the past day or so, but I was thinking it was a stomach virus until this morning, when everything suddenly came clear. I'm thrilled to have my period, though, despite the fact that I may have to spend a fair bit of today in the bathroom.

#131 of 442 Old 02-08-2005, 01:05 PM

Sandra, I'm glad the Aveeno is working out for you guys! I thought it was a rip off at first, but it's worth paying for when it works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy
Are you kidding, that's wonderful news! As if we'd want to stop hearing about her eczema just when it's starting to get better! I wanted to add something about the tomatos; if it turns out that they are one of her triggers, you'll need to avoid eggplant, too, because they're closely related. This may not be an issue for you at all, but everyone I've met has either loved or hated eggplant, so I thought I'd let you know in case your on the love side.

Interestingly enough, my niece did the same thing only backwards; everyone had either a vagina or no vagina for ages. She didn't really understand about penises until my nephew was born, and when he came to visit she and her sister would stand and stare while he had his diaper changed. The first time, ChibiChibi screamed quietly and said in a hushed, sickbed sort of voice, "Nanny, what's wrong with his vagina?!" :LOL I almost fell off the couch laughing. Her sister wasn't speaking well at that point, but she would stare with her brow furrowed, trying to figure it all out. :LOL
Kevin isn't too keen on eggplant, so I don't make it at home, but it might've been an issua a week from now. The next counesslors appointment is on Valentines Day at 8PM & Im supposed to go with him if we can find a sitter for Roland (my mom will probably take him) I was thinking that we should go out to a Greek restaurant for dinner beforehand... theres some idunnwhats that I like that have eggplant... I've been avoiding peppers, aswell, because they're another similar one.

Penis was a dirty word when Kevin was a kid. One day at MIL's when Roland was a baby, I was changing his diaper & he was grabbing himself & saying "dis?" (he was very interested in what all his part are called at that point) I just matter of factly said "Thats your penis" and MIL gasped and said "Don't teach him to say *that*!!" to which I said "...but thats what it is... ?" Kevin, his brother & dad all burst out killing themselves laughing. Appparently anytime any of them said *that word* they got in trouble for it, and their response had always been just to apologise as if they had sworn.

Seeing the counsellor has already made a difference. The 'homework' for this time was: Kevin limits computer time to 1 hr. daily. Kevin will not to be rough with Roland. Neither of us criticises the other. He's been getting stir crazy and then he does laundry!! The kitchen is more consistently tidy, too. It's a whoooooole lot easier not to criticise when he's doing his fair share... that part of it almost takes care of itself. I've even been able to pick up a bit of the 'extracurricular cleaning this week (you know, like mopping the kitchen floor, instead of just sweeping it)

#132 of 442 Old 02-08-2005, 01:45 PM
Banned

prmom, , I hope he feels better soon.

Rynna-congrats on AF! I know that sounds silly but at least you know a)you aren't pg and b)you could get pg now whenever you want. Something about having my period back just makes me feel more regular, like my hormones are more predictable now. That story about your nieces is hilarious! I'd put smilies on but I am too lazy to not use quick reply.

Mum-Yay!! I know it is too early to know if the changes are long term, but even a little help now is great! good for you! Dh has a friend whose mom was like that about words describing genitals. The guy is in high school and his mom refers to penises as "doopies" and vulvas are "hoohoos". To this day dh and his friends will occasionally call each other doopy slots. It is so gross. Oh, I guess that falls under the sexual innuendo thing, huh? Eh, I'll leave it until I get tattled on. Cuz it's funny. Dh also does this hilarious imitation-he makes his voice really high and slightly lispy and says all sing-song "don't forget to wash your doo-py!" It always slays me. He's a silly man.

Speaking of, I went to sleep last night before the kiddos-they've both been taking early evening naps so they are up from 6-7am to like, 11pm or mdnight! They aren't tired at bedtime and they keep falling asleep too early to put them to bed for the night. Anyway, dh watches them and lets me go to bed. THEN he gets up with them early this morning. I didn't get up until 9:15 and it felt like I must have slept until noon. When I got up, the laundry is loaded in the car to take to the laundromat and every room is beautifully clean. And he's dozing in his chair with no pants on. He's got a sweatshirt on, but nothing on bottom. Guess it's nice to all be the same gender. He's so weird. Anyone else's mate have a habit of walking around the house in various states of undress?

The sad thing is that I used to get that amount of sleep all the time until Ro decided to get up early again. So now dh is in the bedroom sleeping. He deserves it. I am so grateful.
#133 of 442 Old 02-08-2005, 01:48 PM
Banned

oh, I'm going to change my user name too. I have to wait for my paypal to transfer. But I wanted to give y'all a heads up. I have wanted to change it for a long time, just haven't figured out what to. Then I discovered if I put my kids names together, it spells Taiwan. Which is really funny to me for some reason. So I think I'll change it to that. Oh, if I put the remaining letters together I get Ron. I could be Taiwan Ron. That's even sillier. Maybe a bit too silly...
#134 of 442 Old 02-08-2005, 01:50 PM

Sorry I've been missing. I've been busy feeling sorry for myself with this stupid cold. I don't even know where to start to catch up, so I guess I'll just start here. Mum, sounds like a good counsellor and congrats on the excema. Julie, so excited about the carrier. I am expecting visitors this weekend but looking forward to fabric shopping after that. I am going to PM you about some fabric I am clearing out of my stash, if you can use it, I may as well ship you a big box.

R got her first "shiner" the other day. She is pulling up on everything and pulled up on a plastic file box I have, and hit it on the way down. Every time I look at the scratch I feel so awful. I feel stupid now for assuming kids learned to balance before they started cruising. Her desire to be moving is so strong I think it pains her when she is not practicing.

I am a full-time WOHM whose job allows me to WAH a lot, and R comes to work with me every day I go in (3-5 days a week, for 1-4hrs) The whole SAHM/WOHM thing was really depressing and stressful to me the first few months after R was born but I've found my niche now. Loved the article in the latest Mothering--at times I have felt like I was the only person trying to make something like this work. I honestly can neither imagine not working nor putting R in daycare. I am still finding that how to manage it all is an ongoing challenge best met on a day-by-day basis, but although sometimes it feels like the worst of all worlds, I am glad I can do it this way.
#135 of 442 Old 02-08-2005, 02:00 PM

I'm a WAHM mostly - DH and I started a business a couple years ago and its been successful enough that I spent a lot of time helping him by dealing with clients, doing accounting, and figuring and filing taxes each month. I also teach a preschool science workshop every Thursday afternoon at a local children's museum (where I was the floor manager for 3 years before having Killy). Since DH also works from home, he watches Killy during my class.

I have to do some serious cleaning today - Killy has found an alarming amount of crud on the floor and put it into his mouth in the last 24 hours, including: part of a broken Christmas ornament, a hairball, and a miniature candy bar wrapper. I'm appalled because generally I'm a bit of a neat freak and I try to make sure that my house is always visitor ready (especially since we run our business out of our home). But aparently I'm not doing a good enough job...

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#136 of 442 Old 02-08-2005, 02:03 PM

OK, Taiwan Ron, we'll be watching for your posts.

Mum- Glad about the eczema, and that you're not too worried about the hip thing (which is super-common btw) but what happened with the swallowing question, or did I miss that?

Also: There's a Simpsons wherein there's a newscast and Kent Brockman says, "How do you know we're really broadcasting live? PENIS."

You are lucky, Balancin, I wish I could make something like that work. As a doula I'd have to be away from the baby for too long at a stretch and never knowing how long.... Also trying to get it together to WAH making waldorf dolls and silks and such, but it's been difficult at best. The problem is it is also difficult not working- I didn't make vast sums as a doula but I liked at least earning some money while homeschooling dd and I like being at work. I probably wouldn't like to be separated from him, though, and he is definitely one of those babies who doesn't want to be separated from me.

We have entered into separation anxiety full force, but stranger awareness lasted only a few weeks and never really escalated into a problem. Now he screams his heart out if I leave the room or leave him with dh, which doesn't make anyone feel good. I hope it passes quickly. On the plus side, he's been sleeping a lot better, so I at least feel a little more human.
#137 of 442 Old 02-08-2005, 02:24 PM

For me to SAH without working, (which I admit would have been my first choice) DH would have to put his PhD on the sort of hold one probably doesn't come back from, and that is too big a price to put on our partnership. I could not stand to be separated from R on a regular basis and I still can't believe I don't have to be. My boss is awesome. Though sometimes the work stress is a lot too. I don't think there's a perfect answer, just a "good enough" answer.

How long have you been a doula, Liz?

Love the new username, Julie!

QoC, how cool is that preschool science class!

R's been napping for a long time (over 2 hrs) again this morning. She must still be fighting off the cold.
#138 of 442 Old 02-08-2005, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizD
OK, Taiwan Ron, we'll be watching for your posts.

Mum- Glad about the eczema, and that you're not too worried about the hip thing (which is super-common btw) but what happened with the swallowing question, or did I miss that?
I like Taiwan Ron

She didn't bring up the solid food thing, and I hadn't been worried about it until they brought it up, so I just let it lay. I think once the nurse saw what a Sumo Baby Caitlin is, it wasn't as much of a concern. I think I'll start to worry about that if she hasn't got it figured out in another month or so. The nurse is coming again in 3 weeks, maybe it'll come up then.

Quote:
We have entered into separation anxiety full force, but stranger awareness lasted only a few weeks and never really escalated into a problem. Now he screams his heart out if I leave the room or leave him with dh, which doesn't make anyone feel good. I hope it passes quickly. On the plus side, he's been sleeping a lot better, so I at least feel a little more human.
We're going through or second phase of seperation anxiety... Caitlin did it from about 3 - 6 months, and quit for a month & now she's back at it. Yesterday when the nurse was here she cried anytime she touched her! Even when she was in my arms, if she felt a 3rd hand on her she started up!

#139 of 442 Old 02-08-2005, 03:58 PM

Taiwan Ron! That's one of the best user names I've ever heard! : That's just so perfect!
#140 of 442 Old 02-08-2005, 04:00 PM

Ugh! I'm exhuasted already! And I haven't even started vacuuming... I've swept and mopped the house (about half the house is carpeted, half hardwood or linoleum, and we have 1700 square feet of house!), am washing the rugs, and have straightened things up but that's it. Its just sooo exhausting to do all that with Killy in the backpack. I weighed him yesterday and he was 22lbs 4oz - I'm pretty sure that my backpack in high school and college were at least that heavy, so you'd think this wouldn't phase me...

I LOVE the user name Taiwan Ron!

I really shouldn't complain, though, because Killy slept pretty well last night and we even slept in till 9:45! And, its snowing here and looks beautiful! We're supposed to get 3-6 inches by tomorrow. I love snow, as long as there's no ice. I just did about 2 weeks of grocery shopping yesterday so we're set as far as supplies go.

So, yesterday I cleaned out BRU - they're having the big baby sale. I got a carseat on sale for our second car, a bunch of awesome clothes on 50% off clearance prices, a new diaper bag that was on sale, a free stroller, and a potty (also on sale)! Twice this week Killy's started pooping while we're changing his diaper, so I figured if I got a potty next time he does it we'll just set him down on it. We put him on it last night and he tooted a little (!) and seemed to think the whole thing was really funny.

#141 of 442 Old 02-08-2005, 04:06 PM

Oh! And Killy has started saying Dada! DH is thrilled!

(It was kind of funny, because when Killy was saying Mama while DH was talking to MIL on the phone she "didn't hear that" everytime he said it. But, sure enough, as soon as Killy says Dada she understands perfectly! Its so petty, but I just hate how my in-laws totally focus all attention on DH and Killy and ignore everything I do and the influence/nurturing I do with Killy. Maybe they are starting to realize how things really are, though, because last night when Killy started saying Dada I made DH call them - and when he got off the phone FIL told him to thank me for suggesting calling them - even though DH hadn't mentioned it was my idea!)

#142 of 442 Old 02-08-2005, 07:04 PM

Taiwan Ron!!! PERFECT!!! I love it!

I haven't been around much, again. I am sorry. I am no good at nak, so I read a lot, and post when I can. By the time I get to post, there is so much to reply to, I never have enough time to reply to it all. Sheesh....

We have always used the correct terms for genitals. When Codey was about 3yo, I had a little girl in my day care who was the same age. I was in the store with them one day, and they were singing "I got a "peanuts" and you got a "gina", oh I got a "peanuts" and you got a "gina'!" It was hysterical! No one had any idea what it was they were really saying!

I am a WAHM. I have been doing licensed day care for 14 1/2 years now. I would much rather not have to work at all, but the reality is, we need for me to work to support our family. Considering that, it has been a great job to allow me to be at home with my kids.
#143 of 442 Old 02-08-2005, 07:20 PM

How do you like doing the licensed day care? Is it difficult to get started at it? A couple of women in my neighborhood do it and they seem to have happy little groups of toddlers playing all the time. I don't know if I would like it so much but it seems it would be really nice in some ways: instant crowd, at home with kids anyway, etc. What are the drawbacks for you? Around here it seems really expensive too so at least women are making money at it.
#144 of 442 Old 02-09-2005, 01:09 AM
Banned

Glad you all like the name. Now I just need a senior title to go with it...

That is so awesome that some of the kiddos are talking!! Tain is sort of verbally challenged, as you all know, and so far Ro isn't saying anything that even remotely resembles words. It is really nice to have such a blend of mamas that SAH, or WAH or WOH, I think it helps us all have a healthy perspective about our own lives-the things we take for granted, the things that are hard.

My youngest sister is the only girl in a line of about 6 boys so she would always grab her crotch and say "oh my peanuts!" when they were playing (like she was hit in the balls).

my baby has an obsessive attraction to cat food and power cords. arg!
#145 of 442 Old 02-09-2005, 01:21 AM
Banned

#146 of 442 Old 02-09-2005, 01:50 AM

Wow, Julie! That is beautiful!

I got some Asian styled fabric a couple weeks ago and am planning to make myself another carrier. I'm curious - I think you suggested using a fabric with no stretch for the straps, and I was wondering why. I used a stretchy ribbed fleece for my last carrier and really liked the way it worked...

#147 of 442 Old 02-09-2005, 07:59 AM

Wow, that carrier is so pretty. You momma's who sew blow me away. I can make really simple curtains and pillows and mend holes in clothing but that's the extent of my sewing abilities.

Julie, does that hernia cause any discomfort other than that one time he complained? I know it's routine but I'm sure I wouldn't be as calm about it as you are.

Mum, that's wonderful about the ezcema. I know Flora just had a tiny tiny bit but I was so excited when it finally went away. I have also meant to tell you several times how sometimes it seems we are living parallel lives...babies doing about the same things, DH both acting like idiots, old houses in various stages of repair.

Prmom, I hope Gavin is feeling better soon. It's so frustrating when our kids don't feel well.

Balancin, and every other Mom trying to find that delicate balance with work and kids and how to meet everyone's needs, I'm RIGHT THERE with ya. It's so hard.

I got some good resources yesterday for the whole DH situation. It seems he realizes he was a nutcase on Sunday. We watched this video about yelling last night and what to do instead and he said regarding one parent "Yeah, that's what I did on Sunday". Which is just HUGE. HUGE! Him realizing that he didn't handle himself appropriately is so important. I mean, I've had less than stellar parenting moments myself and in my opionion, its the shame those moments cause that make me strive to be a better parent, make me renew my effort to grow myself. Anyway, I got a couple of wonderful videos about positive parenting that discuss the negative effects of traditional methods of discipline and the positive effects of positive discipline and discuss what it is reasonable to expect of children. I also picked up a book about four year olds (she's almost there) and what is developmentally appropriate behavior for that age and am going thru and marking sections to read aloud to him. I figure if he wants to feel more a part of the parenting philosophy in this household (which is what he said on Sunday), I'm gonna get him the information he needs to do so in an informed manner. I also found out about a class in April on Anger Management in the family and we are *SO* going to that. I've got it on our calendars.

Flora is sitting up so well lately. She corrects the almost tumbles more and more these days. I've got a pediatrician appointment in about a month so I'm going to bring my concerns about her slow developement of mobility then. Until then, I'm going to encourage tummy time as much as I can bear to. She's started saying Mamma too. But it's more like "mammamammmamammma" over and over and it's not really directed at me. But it's definitely "mamma". Still no teeth but I imagined I felt a point in her mouth yesterday, we'll see. DH has gotten her to sleep three nights in a row. There's not a smiley for passing out on the floor from shock. But I can see where he is gaining some confidence in dealing with her and that makes my heart so happy.

Well, I got up early to work and I'm now fully awake so I'd better get to it. Have a good day all!
#148 of 442 Old 02-09-2005, 09:37 AM
Banned

QoC-In my experience, stretchy stuff for straps only works well if they are really wide-like 12" or more. I had a hug-a-bub and really didn't like dealing with long, wide straps so mine are about 3.5". When it is that narrow, it tends to stretch a lot more and you end up with a baby totally sagging about an hour after you put it on, plus you have to constantly adjust it, plus you have to wash it a lot to get the straps back to original length or deal with constantly lengthening straps. All things that are a PITA for a marginal amount of comfort IMO. Oh, and stretchy stuff, especially knit, will not stay flat when it is narrow but twill, which is a little stiff, will so it is actually more comfortable than a knit that is bunching all the time. It also depends a lot on how you cut them, cutting them where the width has the most stretch or the length. With non-stretch fabrics, I can cut a length selvage to selvage, thereby needing to buy a lot less fabric. Yeah, I am totally cheap, but if I decide to sell them, stuff like that keeps my cost, and therefore my price, down. I am neurotic about options, can you tell? Actually, it is really difficult for me to have perspective and decide on one route to go as well as limited options. It usually incapacitates the forward motion of a business plan. I am trying to keep it simple this time and so far my simplifying ideas appease my need for variety while still being realistic with cost and manhours.

Seedling-no, the hernia doesn't hurt. In fact, most of the time in children they don't hurt and a parent usually finds it before a child ever has a problem.

Our group is so awesome. I love that no one feels alone in their experience, no matter how diverse it all seems to be. I have never had an experience like this last this long. Usually something that is forged during a certain situation (i.e. pregnancy) ends shortly after the situation is over. I am so happy we have all stayed around, even if some of us don't get to post as much as they'd like

My enter button has started to stick. Yesterday I thought we had a wicked virus (is there a silly mama smilie?)

Anyone know the rules about talking about a business? If I try to get this thing off the ground, it'd be nice to know what I could tell you guys and what would be a violation of MDC policy.
#149 of 442 Old 02-09-2005, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quick

I've been kinda MIA for a couple of days. I tried to skim the posts but there is a LOT of stuff I want to go back and read.

DH and I have been having a rough couple of days but as it usually does...the tension builds, we have our words (I have my tears) and then we spend some time talking about ways to make things better...we have a romantic night and ahhhhhhh....AMAZING what actually talking to each other and touching each other can do for the relationship!

I was at a friends house yesterday and was telling her a little about our struggles (SAH/WOH issues...how much free time should dh get in the evening...what's a reasonable time for him to come home...who should be making dinner every night...who should be paying bills etc.) and she was like...wow....you guys are already talking about this and your dd is only 8 mos old! It took us three kids and a lot of counseling to sort those kinds of issues out!

Anyway...I need to read back so I can catch up on the rest of your lives!

Lil is pulling up on everything!! OMG - she is getting so mobile.
#150 of 442 Old 02-09-2005, 10:31 AM

R will be up any minute... but I thought I'd try to post while I can.

Julie, LOVE the pictures. I am so excited! If you worry about violating MDC policy talking about your biz, you could always take the discussion to the yahoo group. I would love to hear about it, 'cause I'm so excited about the beautiful carriers you make.

I have to tell you guys how nice it is to feel welcome and that we welcome all moms here. I agree just knowing there's someone else with some of the same issues makes life so much easier.

seedling, it sounds like you and your DH are really making progress. this parenting thing is so hard, and I agree one learns by one's mistakes. Have to admit sometimes I feel like I should have another baby just to get it "right" next time but I know that baby would be different and I'd be learning all over again.

DH wants to be called papa. It's a pity, because R is saying Dada clear as day!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page