June '04 Mamas - is it really February? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 442 Old 02-10-2005, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
re: snot suckers....

i found that if i let lily play with the bottle while i change her and then hold it up and tell her what i'm going to do, she's less outraged by the process. (doesn't mean she likes it but she doesn't scream bloody murder while i'm trying to do it like she used to when we tried the 'sneak attack' method)

i started diced food with her and she s it!!! cooked up some carrots and cut them really really small (i'm totally paranoid about choking...always have been). also gave her some diced avacado. just cooked up some apples to dice too.

she has never been very interested in the pureed foods. for the last several days i've been offering her diced finger foods at dinner and she is actually ingesting it and looking for more!

for what it's worth...i'll toss this out there...as i know many of us are struggling with relating to our partners.

i e-mailed dh this morning with a "heads up" about the weekend. it's going to be really busy...lots going on at our church (our new minister is being installed). several social gatherings and we're also having some friends over.

anyway...i e-mailed him and told him what was on tap for the weekend and asked him to look at the schedule and see where he could spend some time with us and where he needed some alone time. the only thing i told him that he *has* to do is be home when our friends come over sat night (obviously) and go to our minister's installation ceremony (because i sing in the choir and i need him to tend to lil).

he wrote me back and said that he REALLY appreciated me doing this. a lot of times he feels like he has no say and just gets dragged around all weekend based on whatever plans i've made.

anyway...just a small thing but i feel good about it and apparently he does too! every little opportunity to connect helps!
#182 of 442 Old 02-10-2005, 06:48 PM

Erin, ds is the same way about foods. I've been giving him some diced food and he loves it. He won't touch anything pureed though. Dd was the same way. Ds likes diced banana and Purely Os ceral the best. He also loved french toast casserole that my mom made! He also likes to be fed brown rice, one grain at a time! :LOL That's cool that your dh was so appreciative of your email. Yes, every opportunity to connect does help.
#183 of 442 Old 02-11-2005, 02:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanx for all the hugs, I've really needed them this week. I have felt so rotten and having 2 kids also feeling rotten was just about more than I could take. I told Dan I keep feeling like things have been so bad lately but at the same time so great. Like we're going into bankruptcy, sucks, but we moved into a house, great. I keep getting sick/hurt, sucks, but I'm also getting so many of my lifetime health issues healed, great. We're totally overwhelmed by 2 kids and all that, sucks, but we have 2 amazing kids that we adore, great. Our marriage keeps getting stretched to almost breaking, but we're also closer than we've ever been. KWIM??? Like life gets exponentially better and that causes exponentially bigger problems. So it's all good and at the same time, it all sucks, lol!

Anyway, we meet with our bankruptcy attorney tomorrow and get the ball rolling. Then I can finally start answering the phone again and tell the bad collections people, "You'll have to call my lawyer!" See, again, the good and the bad all wrapped up together!

I really gotta make a more concious effort to get food for Kieran. We are holding off on all dairy and gluten and allergens like citrus until after a year but we mostly eat dairy and gluten and allergens like citrus. The only thing I consistently have around is applesauce, but it bound him up a bit and I think he'd like a bit more variety. I'll have to poke around at Whole Foods and see if there's something interesting to get for him. He really likes feeding himself, he'll grab the spoon away, suck on it maniacally and hurl it down when he's done. I'm sure he's ready for diced bits, if they're super soft cause he has no teeth, but I'm not quite ready for the messiness of that. Gotta go get a splat mat, lol!

Erin, that's a good idea! I try to do that for Dan verbally, but email would work so much better.

OK, I have to finish up. Hope you all have a great Friday!

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#184 of 442 Old 02-11-2005, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubelin
Then I can finally start answering the phone again and tell the bad collections people, "You'll have to call my lawyer!" See, again, the good and the bad all wrapped up together!
Goodness, that almost makes me want to file for bankruptcy. Anything for those people to stop trying to get money from me that I really don't have. They're such jerks, too! I had one call the other day and interrupt me and say "I don't know who you think you're talking to.." and I just hung up and said "well, I'm not talking to an insufferable ****." Anyway.

QoC-- I used to have a diaphragm, once upon a time, so getting the Instead cup in wasn't a problem-- I just really think it's too big for me. It didn't sit behind the bones like it's supposed to, you know? I had that problem with the diaphragm, too; even after BeanBean was born, I wore the smallest size and it had to be special ordered for me because pharmacies don't keep them in stock. That's one of my bigger questions about the keeper/diva cup: don't they have one size for people who have given birth vaginally which is bigger than the other? What if you *know* that you're "little" in there? I dunno. Anyway, it's a moot point right this minute, I haven't got the money to spend on one. I just really like the idea of it, for some reason. I dunno, maybe I'm strange. I can't even think of what forum I'd ask that in... maybe TAO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn
I completely went balistic on my mom yesterday. Didn't really mean to, I just did. She saw me changing Dakota's diaper and she had to say it. She said "you just need to be a better mom and not let her sit so long in her diapers, you need to learn to change them more often"
Try "You just need to be a better mom and learn when to keep your mouth shut." That's probably what I'd say to my mom if I ever heard something like that come out of her mouth. Lucky for me, my mom knows all about different causes of rashes. BeanBean gets eczema on his tush when he has citrus (everywhere else, too) and whenever he has antibiotics (luckily not since he was little); BooBah's recurring diaper rash is from thrush (also from antibiotics-- my kids are really sensitive to them ). It's got nothing to do with how often they're changed, although my mother said that she'd never seen a rash on a cloth diapered baby before BooBah's antibiotic rashes and she'll tell anyone who's got bad diaper rash problems that they really ought to consider switching to cloth.

Speaking of cloth, I'm very depressed-- I haven't been able to find most of my covers for a while now. I've had to use sposies this past week, and they're so depressing! BooBah doesn't really like them, and all of her clothing fits her differently... it's just irritating to me. I have no clue where the covers are. They just seem to have vanished into thin air.

I'm still sick, and very tired. I've got such a headache right now! But I have to get some math and grammar and history done with ChibiChibi. She really likes homeschooling, and she has to do a lot more work, which is a lot more challenging than she ever had to do at school, without the distractions of a social life and a teacher who's already assigned a role to her. At first, she wasn't sure what to make of it, but at this point she's really decided that she likes to work. She's technically finished with the school year-- she's completed at least 900 hours of school work-- but we're not stopping. Why waste any more time, you know? I think today I'll encourage her to do some "Slow and Steady, Get Me Ready" stuff with BooBah & BeanBean. It gives her something to do with the kids, and it's good for all three of them. She just loves doing it and asks all the time. :LOL It's very cute.

Oh! I'm going to make play dough today, too! I have to get to the grocery store, but I'm totally going to do it! Maybe, if I can find a giant bottle of glue, I'll make some goozy, flubbery stuff, too.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#185 of 442 Old 02-11-2005, 12:37 PM
Banned

Rynna-if you have a recipe for flubbery stuff, I'd love to have it! That totally sucks about your covers! Maybe you left them at someone's house? You don't use the laundromat, so at least they weren't left there or stolen. I have lost so many things where I think it could not have possibly made it outside the house and to this day have never found it. I hope that isn't the case with your covers.

Robin-I so know where you are coming from with having two kids stretching your relationship thin but having two is wonderful. I know I couldn't be a good mom to more than two but some days it feels like I can't be a good mom to the ones I've already got.

My mom is making an active effort to get here. That is really encouraging. When she was here in November, she had to go home to deal with my siblings freaking out and all sorts of crazy stuff. She was supposed to come right back and so far she hasn't made it. But she is hoping my sister gets a bed in a residential treatment center here and if she does, she'll be coming down for about 10 days as a trial run, then hopefully moving here. I love her so much and she gets treated so badly by everyone around her when she is home, she has been suicidal more than once and that really scares me. I want so badly for her to be somewhere where she knows she is loved, not for what she gives, but for who she is. And I really want her to be with kids that have good parents. She is always rescuing my sister's kids and when she does, it's a 24hour a day job. It makes her tired. We are going to set up a system where she can live with us, but have her own space, and she can watch the kids for me while I work at the biz. She always says that what she wants to do with her life is play with kids and cook dinner. I never met someone so happy to be a homemaker. Too bad that didn't work out for her...

Erin- so glad you are finding ways to connect with your dh! I never make plans on dh's day off without consulting him first. And usually don't make any at all. But he never has weekends off so that is different. No one is ever doing anything "social" on a weds! It's funny, all my ap friends know I am going MIA whenever dh has a day off.
#186 of 442 Old 02-11-2005, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn
I completely went balistic on my mom yesterday. Didn't really mean to, I just did.
s I know how it is w/ moms. I flipped on my mom not too long ago because she was telling me that I'm mean and condesending to my brother. And the conversation turned into all the ways that life sucks for my brother. blah blah blah. He has made his own problems and ya know what we all have our own problems. Then she went into how formula is just fine for my brothers new baby. The other 4 had formula and they're just fine. Fine now maybe but down the road maybe not. Anyway it ended e/ me just flipping out and telling her that maybe sometimes I would appriciate help that I didn't have to BEG for. Two days later she gave me a check. This is what she does. I use to use it to my advantage in college when I was broke. My roommate would joke that it was time to start a fight w/ mom 'cause my funds were low. Sad but true! In her eyes money= everything.
ANyway I just wanted to say that moms can be tough. I always remind myself when my mom does things that make me nuts to try and not do those types of things to my girls. I always want them to feel loved and respected.
#187 of 442 Old 02-11-2005, 01:47 PM

I once used a laundromat in upstate NY for washing and drying the diapers. It was right before we moved back to the city full-time. It wasn't where I usually laundered, I hadn't been there before. I was *sure* someone had stolen quite a few of our hourglass diapers and gerber wraps. : I left this scolding note with the address of our apt in nyc saying could whoever took them please return them, no questions asked, but we didn't have a whole lot of money to cover people ripping us off. I left the Natural Baby Catalog's name too so they could get their own damned diapers. : So I got home and realized that in all the packing mess I had not in fact been robbed in the laundromat. : Oh well. Forgot all about it until about two months later this huge box arrived at the apt in Brooklyn from someone I'd never heard of. She had read the note in the laundromat and since it was "part of her ministry" to "help the poor and destitute," she was sending this box of baby clothes. (can I say they were so disgusting I wouldn't even give them to the VA when I give stuff away?) And -get this- maybe having the clothes would help us be able to afford "proper" diapers so we didn't have to use cloth ones!!

I have been staying in bed much later than I'd like, but I figure I have to sleep sometime, and if I'm up until 2am, I can't get up at 7. I woke at 7 today and thought, maybe if I can get up in an hour or so (Rowan sleeps til about 10, 10:30) I'd have some time to myself. Next thing I knew it was 10:30 and the only thing that woke R was my phone ringing.

Playful Learning has some recipes for stuff like that.

Marshall's has taggies books for $7. I thought Rowan would like taggies and they're one of the few soft toys he does focus on. He likes turning the pages of books but has destroyed any board books he has been given. We still have dd's board books but ds's are falling apart. I know everyone is going to label him "such a boy," and so on. We were talking yesterday about my neighbor's kids with her and dh said of Rowan, "I bet they're going to call him ADD."

Rowan has "cruised" the short ends of crib and playpen, and last night crept torturously, with much rolling and squirming, from the middle to the edge of the bed.

I have used sposies for 2 weeks and plan to go back to cloth now, or rather once the house is a bit more caught up. I see how people get kind of trapped into using them. It is also *really nice* not to do a middle-of-the-night diaper change, or double cloth up so much the baby can barely move.
#188 of 442 Old 02-11-2005, 02:05 PM

Oh, and I look forward to seeing the thigh shots- I have good-sized hands and I can't make my fingers & thumb meet around Rowan's thighs. They just barely touch around his calves!
#189 of 442 Old 02-11-2005, 02:09 PM

Flubber Recipe. There are loads of fun recipes for things like play dough and bubbles, too!

#190 of 442 Old 02-11-2005, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Oh, and I look forward to seeing the thigh shots- I have good-sized hands and I can't make my fingers & thumb meet around Rowan's thighs. They just barely touch around his calves!
Ds's are the same way. I promise I'll take pics this weekend and post them. I'll probably post lots. Dd's birthday is Monday, so we'll celebrate this weekend and take lots of pics!

ETA: OMG! I just tried, and I can't make my fingers and thumb meet around his ankles!
#191 of 442 Old 02-11-2005, 02:38 PM

Rynna, that sucks about your covers. I hope they turn up. We currently have misplaced Isabel's pink cowgirl boots which, let me tell you, has her quite in an uproar. We're also missing her fleece vest. I can't imagine where they are. We actually cleaned the house yesterday b/c we were having people over to play and they still didn't turn up. I hate when stuff disappears.

Moms...I cycle in and out of being mad with mine. She is really clueless about a lot of stuff that's important to me but she's also really great about other things. For instance, this past weekend she totally restocked my pantry/freezer.

The rest of my week has been so much better. I feel like I've kind of gotten recharged about being a good parent to Isabel (instead of being all no-nonsense, survival mode), I've been more playful, less impatient, have had two whole days with NO yelling at all. It's wonderful! She's at grandma's today. I actually slept 8 whole hours last night! Man, I needed it. I *think* Flora has a little pointy off centered tooth trying to poke thru but I may just be crazy. I thought they usually got the front teeth first but this one could be a canine. It could be my imagination...I just think her gum looks whiteish and she was up most of the night two nights okay so I'm just looking for something to blame it on.

I went in on a produce co-op this week and got a whole box full of produce for $12. My friend who lives in the next town organizes it. She lives in the same neighborhood as Grandma though so it's easy enough to pick up the produce the Thursdays I drop Isabel off. So I think I'm going to start doing it on a regular basis. It's not organic but I can't afford to be picky right now so I'm just going to do it. We got grapes, apples, oranges, pineapple, mango, tomatoes, and mushrooms this week.

On other news, Dh found out we can retroactively do financial aid. So I filled out the part of the paperwork he was having a hard time with and hopefully we'll know something by next week.

Well, I'd better get back to work. Isabel will be home in a few hours and I'll be kicking myself for not getting more done.
#192 of 442 Old 02-11-2005, 03:21 PM

Is it wrong to wish that all Killy's teeth would come in immediately, and then I wouldn't have to deal with this for the next couple years? I thought he just had the top two front teeth coming in, but there's actually three on the top that are clearly visible under the gum (well one is partly poking through, the other two are under). I'm about to go get some Hylands Teething Tablets. I totally don't believe in Homeopathy, but I'm willing to try anything. Last night was a bit better than the night before, but still a lot of waking!! (Just every 2 hours instead of every 45 minutes.)

All this talk of moms... My mom and dad are coming to visit in 2 weeks. I'm really lucky because we get along great most of the time. The only big issue I have with my parents is that my dad is always lecturing me on how I'm not a nice enough person to my sister and DH. Rationally, I know my Dad has a lot of guilt from having to travel a lot when my sister was a baby with health problems, and he worries about her now because she has epilepsy and has some issue with depression... But it still hurts that every time she's upset his automatic response is, "What did you do/say to her?" Honestly, she's a bit self-centered and never goes out of her way to call them, send gifts, invite them to visit like I do... but she'll always be his favorite. Just one of those things I have to deal with, and that I really should be over by this point in my life. (My sister lives with us, by the way, while she's getting her masters degree.)

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#193 of 442 Old 02-11-2005, 03:40 PM

Okay, I'm back (yes, I should be working, I HAVE been, just saw a new post and decided to pop in).

QoC, if your sister is LIVING with you, that sounds like you are pretty darn nice to her imo. I love my sister but there is NO WAY I could EVER live with her. EVER.
#194 of 442 Old 02-11-2005, 05:42 PM

Okay, I am going to try to reply to as many as I can. I actually have two windows open so I can keep track!!!

Liz,
I have been doing day care for 14 1/2 years. There are good things and bad things. It is not easy, but it has been the best choice for us. In order to support our family, I have to bring in an income. This allows me to do that, and of course, be home with my kids. I have had issues with my own values, and not agreeing with my day care parents philosophies, and sometimes I have felt that I was compromising. But this isn't a perfect world, and we are doing the best we can. Now, I will say, that it can be tough to find the right balance. I have had times where I have really loved the kids I watched, but had problems with the parents, and times when the parents were great, but the kids and I didn't mesh. Right now, for the most part, I have a great mix. A couple of the parents are late more often than not (even thought it is usually less than 5 minutes, it bugs me), but they are wonderful people, we get along well, and all the kids are awesome. They do appreciate me, and the children fit so well with each other. It hasn't always been this way for me, and I have had some tough kids and parents. As far as cost, it is probably one of the least expensive businesses to start up. Out here, we have to be licensed through the Department of Social Services Community Care Licensing. We get inspected, have to take CPR/First Aid, Health and Nutrition class, get finger printed, have a criminal background check and a child abuse index check (the last three apply to ANY person over the age of 18 years living in your house). Some people go further and take college classes. I have a pre-school teacher permit. (We have a great incentive program here in San Diego, paid for by the tobaccoa tax, which pays stipends for completing college units. I have received $2500 over two years for taking classes and getting my permit). I would recommend anyone who is interested in getting licensed check with your local YMCA Childcare Resource Service, if you have one. If you do not have one, ask a licensed provider where to start. Most providers love helping others to get started. I have a great network of fellow day care providers, and they are an awesome support system for me. The biggest drawbacks for me, is that it is a longer day than most other jobs, I typically work 10 hours a day. Also, I can't really just take a day off if I am sick. 3 or more families are depending on me so that they can go to work. Sometimes, parents aren't as accomodating as I would like, when I really DO need to take a day off. I try to give as much notice as possible, and I send out my yearly holiday schedule in January with my paid days off and my yearly vacation. But sometimes, things come up. I tell parents to make sure they have reliable back-up, but sometimes, they give me crap about it. Overall, I have enjoyed my job, but it is tough. Make sure you have the support of your family, and support from colleagues, and it can be great.

Julie, your carrier is awesome!! I received an ABC as ababy gift, but I have been afraid to try it out. I am so used to my sling, the ties intimidate me. I would love to add your link to my site when you get yours up and running. And I agree with you on the cohesiveness of our group. I often feel bad for not posting. Then, I feel bad if I do post and can't respond to everyone. Then I feel bad that so much time has gone by and I haven't posted. Vicious cycle, I tell ya! So, I figured I would just post as much as I could, and hope to keep up as much as possible.

Rynna,
I also can not wear Instead cups. I have a whole box sitting here, doing nothing. I thought there was something wrong with me. I bought a Diva cup, but never got to use it....I got a BFP instead! As far as being a WAHM and talking about your stuff, yeah, it is discussed somewhere, although I don't remember exactly where. There is a charge for biz sig line advertising, but you still can't really say "Buy from me" even if you pay for it. Btw, I love the pics in your sig line.

Robin,
I know just how you feel! That is part of why I keep popping in and out. Sometimes, I get so overwhelmed with life, and I want to post, but I feel horrible coming in just to dump. I am honestly going to try to post at least once a day. Subscribing to the threads helps a lot.

Landen started pulling himself up the other day. Now he won't stop! It is so cute, because he is still so little, at least for one of my babies!!! He can still wear size medium diapers and many of his clothes are around 12 months. Unheard of for us usually!!! He is now crawling properly, instead of only doing his commando crawl. Gosh, they grow so fast!!! I started knitting a few months ago, and I love it. It is the hobby I can take with me. I am taking my second class at Wooly Wonders Forums.

Sandi, How cool to find a playgroup of MDC mamas! I used to go to or LLL meetings, and made lots of friends, but we seem to have drifted. They have moved on to having older children, and I still have younger children, and I am kind of in the middle. The things that are so new with young children, well, I am not as stressed over most of it anymore. I see the light at the end of the tunnel. But the people I know with older kids, well, they aren't dealing with getting up 3 or 4 times a night to nurse, or worrying about changing a diaper while out in public. Yeah, it is interesting around here.

Not to be a downer, but my own mother died almost 8 years ago (on March 28th), and I miss her. I was only 29yo, and I only had 5 kids. Yes, she used to drive me crazy, but she was not judgemental at all. I did things VERY differently than she did, but she was usually more curious than defensive or mean. I try to remember that, and appreciate it, for the time I had it. My MIL is also not a judgemental kind of person. She asks questions, but doesn't say anything mean. Once or twice she has said something like "That is just so strange to me." And I tell her "You know, I know I am probably doing things now, that my kids will think were outrageous and wonder what we were thinking!" It has been interesting for me, to be a woman having babies over the course of 20 years. I have seen trends come and go, and have seen practices change. I hope, when my own kids atart having kids, that I can be supporting without being defensive. To accept that they are doing what they feel is best, even if I don't agree. (Although I think it would KILL me if my grandbabies were not breastfed!!!)

I LOVE FLUBBER!!!! I used to make it for the kids all the time! We usually used watercolor paint to color it, but I would make 5 or 6 colors for them. Beware, it does NOT come out of clothes!!!

Landen's thighs are not that big, at least I don't think so. Maybe I will to the thumb/finger test later!

Okay, it has taken 5 hours back and forth to write this. I hope to chat more with everyone soon!
#195 of 442 Old 02-11-2005, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenofCups
I'm about to go get some Hylands Teething Tablets. I totally don't believe in Homeopathy, but I'm willing to try anything.
You know, I didn't believe in homeopathy either. It took me a while to wrap my head around the concept, and the way it was originally explained to me didn't actually make any sense. However, once I'd wrapped my head around the idea and given it a shot, I was pleasantly surprised by how well it can work. It seems counter-intuitive in a lot of ways, but when you realize that we were all raised with the allopathic model of medicine and that we see things a certain way as a result, it makes it easier to see things from a different perspective. Anyway, in short, what I'm saying is those Hyland's Teething Tablets work *wonders*. I also really like the homeopathic migraine medicine (the only kind I can use while I'm pregnant/nursing) that I found in a health food store.

Donna-- :LOL I think that BooBah's thighs are *huge*, but I know that it's only because BeanBean hardly had thighs at all. She can wear 3-6 month sized pants quite comfortably; most 6-9's are still too long and have to be rolled down two or three times at the waist. Yeah, this is my bigger baby. :LOL We're just little people. I should really get over it, but sometimes I still feel like I'm doing something wrong to have such small kids, despite the fact that Mike and I were both small kids.

Hmmmm... I'm going to have to figure out how to make the flubber washable. I guess it's a good thing that I wasn't able to find a gallon of glue! :LOL

My new Over the Shoulder Baby Holder (replacement for the one with a broken ring) came today! I was so excited to see it waiting for me when the kids and I got back from our errands! I think BooBah will be excited to see it when she wakes up, too. BeanBean already gave it a test drive. He declared, "It's comfy with mamma in the sling. I like it!"

I finally remembered to stop into my local print shop and ask for paper scraps. I got some really cool ones, including some large pieces of pink posterboard. They're always so nice in there, I wish I remembered to stop in more often!

Anyway, I got all the stuff together that I need to make play dough (essentially, cream of tartar; I had the other stuff around). I'm also going to try the lip gloss, if I can find something to put it in. Boy, do I ever run through lip gloss; my lips are always horribly chapped. If I can make it with that recipe, and it's tolerable, well, it's sure cheap enough!

#196 of 442 Old 02-11-2005, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
She can wear 3-6 month sized pants quite comfortably; most 6-9's are still too long and have to be rolled down two or three times at the waist. Yeah, this is my bigger baby.
:LOL

i just started packing up 12 month sizes because they are getting too small! last night i pulled out some size 24 month jammies thinking they would be way too big and they fit great w/ one roll of the leg and arm cuffs!

one of my best friends has "small babies" (lily weighs as much as her 18 month old) and she has always had concerns about her milk or if she is doing something wrong but her children are very healthy...just petit.

i keep reminding her that people come in all shapes and sizes...so it makes sense that babies do too!
#197 of 442 Old 02-11-2005, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmama
:LOL

i just started packing up 12 month sizes because they are getting too small! last night i pulled out some size 24 month jammies thinking they would be way too big and they fit great w/ one roll of the leg and arm cuffs!

one of my best friends has "small babies" (lily weighs as much as her 18 month old) and she has always had concerns about her milk or if she is doing something wrong but her children are very healthy...just petit.

i keep reminding her that people come in all shapes and sizes...so it makes sense that babies do too!
:LOL BooBah will probably not be in a 12 month size until the fall. Maybe later. :LOL I've got a pair of really cute 6-9 month sized pants, two of them actually, that my sister bought BeanBean on clearance when he was about 4 months old. They were $1.97 each and she thought he might wear them for a month or two and that was worthwhile. He wore them until he was 15 months old; at that point, when he sat down his ankles stuck out. :LOL

I can get my fingers around BooBah's upper thigh, but it's a tight fit and I have huge hands. I can get my fingers around BeanBean's upper thigh more easily, and I suspect that as BooBah becomes more proficient at standing and starts really walking that the chunkiness of her thighs will vanish. Still, she's got lovely dimpled knees!

#198 of 442 Old 02-11-2005, 09:16 PM

We had beautiful weather here today - 55 degrees and sunny! (but they're calling for snow on Tuesday) Killy and I went to the park and then walked to a Big Lots where I found some cool wooden toys for Killy and DH's best friend's son, who is turning 1 year this month. Yay!

Sadly, while I was walking, I saw a family with a 3 year old and a baby in a car and neither kid was in a carseat, so I wrote down their license plate number and emailed the local police about it. That just makes me sick... How could you risk your kids life like that? I mean, is there anyone who really doesn't know that you're supposed to have a BABY in a car seat?! The baby looked around 6 months at the oldest.

Killy has decided he HATES diaper changes. Hysterical crying going on here every single time. I play games, let him open and close the window shade while I change him, I've tried changing him on the changing table and on the floor, I put music on, I hand him toys... NOTHING helps. Its so upsetting. A few minutes ago he got so upset that he needed to nurse afterward - and Killy's never been too much of a comfort nurser. Any suggestions on diaper changes?

Poor DH is sooo overwhelmed with work right now. He's got 10 different projects going on for 5 different clients, plus got a request for a portfolic today for a possible new client. Its wonderful to be so busy ($$), but I hate to see him this stressed. After our super-expensive year last year - new baby and new house the same week! - we're not in a position to turn down any business right now. So, he's not able to help around the house at all, and really hasn't been able to spend much time with Killy either.

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#199 of 442 Old 02-11-2005, 09:59 PM
Banned

Donna-thanks! I'll send you the link when it is operational.

Rynna-thanks for the link, what a cool site!

I put a pair of 9 mo pants on Ro today and they were so loose in the belly, but he is sticking out of most 6-9 mo stuff at the ankles and wrists. He is a lot skinnier than Tain. All of Tain's hand me downs look ridiculously wide on him, even though the length fits.

My boys look so much alike that it is weird when things like that are different. All the things I thought would be the same (loving the sling, loving to nurse, being hugely fat) are different. The only thing that is the same is their faces. Oh, I don't know if I told you guys, but Ro's weight is similar to Tain's at this age but he is an inch taller.

Got my business license today and am going to get my name trademarked next month. Now if I only had fabric to make stuff :LOL No, it's okay, I still have a lot of paperwork type stuff to do.

Rynna-I sent you that pattern, along with a bunch of other ones, keep what you want, pass on the others.

I've started using the laptop in the bedroom since Tain is such a puter hog but somehow the children have migrated to hanging in here at my feet.

speaking of, Ro is head butting my legs gotta go!
#200 of 442 Old 02-11-2005, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Killy has decided he HATES diaper changes. Hysterical crying going on here every single time. I play games, let him open and close the window shade while I change him, I've tried changing him on the changing table and on the floor, I put music on, I hand him toys... NOTHING helps. Its so upsetting. A few minutes ago he got so upset that he needed to nurse afterward - and Killy's never been too much of a comfort nurser. Any suggestions on diaper changes?
no real suggestions but we're dealing with the same thing. she SCREAMS like i'm hurting her when i change her diaper.

in the morning dh distracts her while i change (or vice versa) which is lucky because the first diaper of the day is usually the super-pooper.

lately i've been changing on the fly....like where ever i am sitting i just hold her on my lap and do a quick change. can be messy and when it's a poopy but she doesn't scream as much this way.

she's upstairs with dh getting changed right now and SCREAMING!!!!
#201 of 442 Old 02-12-2005, 03:42 AM

I often change Rowan in the crib and he at least looks at his mobile and plays with toys and things. But we don't (yet) have any screaming issues, just squirming.

Some states have a specific hotline for carseat things- the people get a pamphlet in the mail about carseat safety with a little note, "you were observed..."

So we had all this excitement here about the poor baby supposedly being thrown out of a car but it turned out to be a hoax by the birth mother, as she was unaware she could drop the baby at the hospital if she didn't want him. At least he wasn't really thrown from the car. Poor baby, poor mama.
#202 of 442 Old 02-12-2005, 10:55 AM

As for diaper changes, ds loves them. He has discovered his penis! He loves to lay there and tug at it!

Liz, that sure is a strange story. I've been following it on cnn.com.

I just took some thigh shots of ds, but we'll have to hook up dh's computer before I can upload them.
#203 of 442 Old 02-12-2005, 12:00 PM

Wow. I didn't realize how tiny my baby really was. :LOL She's still wearing 0-3 and some 3-6 month clothing. Her 3-6 month pants have to have 3 rolls on the cuffs. Her legs are pretty skinny too. My fingers fit around them with no trouble at all.
Well, Dakota is growing up way too fast. As of Feb. 10th, she is standing on her own without any support.
On one hand, I'm really happy, but then I get so sad because she's not a little baby anymore. She's getting so big!

Dakota is horrible during diaper changes. I have to hold her down to get her diapers on because she will run away so fast. Usually I will end up giving up and just let her run around naked. The only things that work with her is singing songs she likes and scaring her .

The Hylands tablets are a godsend. They work wonders on my dd. She loves taking them and they get rid of her pain almost instantly.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
#204 of 442 Old 02-12-2005, 12:01 PM

Yeah, we have the Incredible Stretching Foreskin here, too.

Last night while watching "The Bear" (dd cried and cried and the movie had barely begun) Rowan kept ducking his head into my belly and then popping up to catch my eye! It was so cool!

He also rolled over while asleep, woke angrily on his belly, and then didn't sleep well the whole night. One of those can't-move-away-from-him nights, which leave me pretty sore and tired. It also got quite cold for SFL so I was either chilly or worried the comforters would smother Rowan or that the heat would cause carbon monoxide poisoning (even though it's electric heat!). Once it's daylight out all these paranoias seem ridiculous; why didn't I just relax and go to sleep?

I will have to get it together to upload some photos too....one of these hours....
#205 of 442 Old 02-12-2005, 12:13 PM

Oh yeah! I forgot to tell you all my little vent. My husband went to the doctor yesterday (bad ear infection) and I went in the room with him (as normal). His family practice doctor saw Dakota and started grilling us about her. He asked how old she was and when we told him he asked if she was up to date on her shots ( ). I kindly said we were not vaccinating. Then he starts asking who her pedi is and who my OB was and where I delivered and when was the last time she saw her doctor. I very sweetly explained to him that I did not have an OB, I delivered with a midwife (not that it's any of his business anyway), I told him that Dakota hasn't needed to go to the doctor because she's not sick. I told him that I know my daughter better than any doctor does and I listen to what she's telling me about what she needs. I told him I don't care where my daughter is on some silly little chart and I know she is growing the way a breast fed baby should grow. He just smiled and walked out of the room. I've never liked him anyway. :

#206 of 442 Old 02-12-2005, 12:41 PM

Ok, here are some links to photos of the kids, including some leg shots of ds:

http://www.racerxill.com/legs.jpg

http://www.racerxill.com/strawberries.jpg

http://www.racerxill.com/plate.jpg

Kathryn, what a jerk that dr. was! I'd be finding a new one.
#207 of 442 Old 02-12-2005, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebugsmom
Kathryn, what a jerk that dr. was! I'd be finding a new one.
Oh, trust me, I would never put my health in his hands. My dh only sees him because it's who he's been with for a few years. I would NEVER let him touch me or my child. Ugh.

#208 of 442 Old 02-12-2005, 01:08 PM

Those thighs are too cute! I just want to nibble on them! He's got Flora beat. Hers are quite chunkalious but not like his.
#209 of 442 Old 02-12-2005, 02:43 PM

Wow what a cute cubby baby! I think Lily is a chunk and then I see your little guy and hear what size all your kids are in and I realize that she's a peanut! She is just getting too big for her 3-6 month stuff and is moving into 6-9 months. It's mainly the length that is too small and the width is a big baggy. She's probably aroun 16 or 17 pounds which is just about where my oldest was at 1. Did I mention that she's everywhere!!! I blink and she has moved clear across the room. This morning dh found a polly pocket shoe in her poopy diaper. : Good thing they're soft!
#210 of 442 Old 02-12-2005, 04:32 PM
Banned

Those thighs are delicious! I can fit my finger and thumb around Ro's ankle-that's it-but I have small hands.

new pics in my sig line

no time to post

Erin-you are not crazy about the teeth. We have been teething over 2 years nonstop now. It gets old, believe you me. I wish the same thing about Ro. Let's just have it done, all the way to 2yr molars. Sigh.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page