June '04 Mamas - is it really February? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 442 Old 02-01-2005, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good morning everyone!! Come on in to our new February chat thread and get comfy...new June mamas/babys are always welcome!!

What's going on in your baby's world?

We have two teeth (bottom)...lots of peek-a-boo playing...raspberry blowing...babbling - mamamama...dadddadddda...sleep is very varied...some nights are awesome, some are painful...sitting up...getting into crawl position but no real crawl steps yet...very little solid food eating...separation/stranger anxiety kicking in.

That's all I can think of for now. Time to eat some breakfast while she's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 442 Old 02-01-2005, 12:47 PM
Banned

Erin, you are so awesome. Just because

What my baby is doing...

He can sit, though most of the time he'd rather be moving...He can't classic crawl yet, but that doesn't prevent him from moving around *FAST*...he is loving the solids...he is getting big enough to have fun with Tain w/o getting hurt...separation anxiety in full swing-I'm back to having a kid in the bathroom with me when I go...he suddenly loves the binky...babbles bababababa...sticks out his tongue a lot...is ticklish!...no teeth, but his hair is growing...he loves to crawl over ppl when they are lying next to him...starting to be too distracted to fall asleep outside of the bedroom.

Carrying baggage over from the last thread...
We had decided after Tain was born that we would start TTC #2 when he turned 1 yo. When his birthday came, we just weren't ready. It didn't seem right. I was enjoying my body getting back to normal, he still nursed a lot and didn't eat many solids, he was in so many ways still a baby. It wasn't until 4 months later that we finally decided it was time. And we struggled with that decision even while TTC. But by the time I got pg and my milk became an issue, a lot of the feeding things had resolved themselves. And by the time Ro was born, Tain had turned into a little boy. He was a bit of a slow developer, maybe that is why he felt like a baby for so long. Trust your instincts about your readiness. And respect your partner. There are days when I want another child, but I think about how hard dh works already, how much harder he'd have to work to support us, and it is almost cruel to ask that of him. Plus, I know I like the idea of having another, but I don't really want the reality. You shouldn't have a baby b/c your partner wants one. That introduces a LOAD of emotional baggage to a relationship, not to mention the child itself, who doesn't deserve it. That is obviously distilling any situation immensely, but as women we tend to be the ones who bend to make someone happy and agreeing to have a child is not a good time to bend. jmo
#3 of 442 Old 02-01-2005, 01:18 PM

Hello & Happy February!

What are we doing here: Well Lily does the inch worm and can get into just about anything! She has 2 teeth and is working on a couple more. She loves to "play" on the floor w/ her sisters. If she's right in the middle of it all she's happy! She's also getting LOTS of hair! Oh and she sits up really well too and has mastered going from sitting to all fours. She's getting so big! It really is bittersweet. I love watching her grow and change but it feels like it's going by so quick and she's our last one.
#4 of 442 Old 02-01-2005, 01:58 PM

Just subscribing. No sleep last night. Working on top teeth. Aaaargh.
#5 of 442 Old 02-01-2005, 01:58 PM

Hi everyone!!!
I am still here, and now I will be able to keep up with the whole thread.

Landen now has 2 bottom teeth, and he is getting quite a bit of hair. He can sit up fine, but prefers to scoot around instead. He does more of a commando type crawl, but likes to get up on his hands and knees and his hands and feet. Looks like he is trying to do a somersault. He is one of my smaller babies, which I really enjoy because it makes it so much easier to carry him around. He hasn't tried solid food yet, but I usually don't start any until 9-10 months. Lots of seperation anxiety if I walk away from him, but he is not too worried about strangers yet.
#6 of 442 Old 02-01-2005, 02:21 PM

I got up early today!! This is a major achievement. Rowan still sleeps best between eleven pm and eleven am. Today I managed to get up at 8 and he slept until 10:30, so I had that time without him and what a difference it has made! Dd is almost done with a whole day's schoolwork and though I'm tired, I just feel a little better.

Last night he pulled himself to standing all alone in the crib! I lowered the mattress this morning- it was still on its highest setting. So sad, these "milestones." Cannot believe he will be 8 months old in one week!!! At the same time I am so anxious to see how cute I know he will be as a toddler. That's a difficult part about the second one, I find, I know how fast it goes and that I should treasure it and at the same time I know just what great things we have to look forward to!

Of course if I take in so much caffeine from getting up early this might not make tonight so easy, hahaha.

My friend just got back to Greece and said he will just have to bring their baby girl with him when he travels from now on because he can't bear to be apart from her for that long. So sweet! Though there's nothing wrong with being glad to get away too, IMO.

It is still cool out and I am so happy with getting a good start to the day, I have all kinds of fantasies about how much I could accomplish, but I'd better start by paying the bills!
#7 of 442 Old 02-01-2005, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

hey - anyone heard from laura (bandana)?

and where's grease??
#8 of 442 Old 02-01-2005, 06:39 PM

Hi all!

DD sits like a master. ha ha on the inch worm! She's been doing that in full force, although for the past few days, she's been doing a gimpy crawl, which is just like a regular crawl, except one foot gets stuck so she kind of drags it and looks like a gimp.

Same as PP, who said that some nights are better than others. I've been trying to get her to bed much earlier, around 7. Sometimes she wakes up over and over again in the evenings after I put her down, and I get slightly frustrated!

No teeth yet, although I thought she'd get some a few months ago! Not that much hair either! But boy, she's into everything! And I mean everything. I've been working on trying to completely organize my whole house, but I am far from there yet, and I am always scooting things out of her reach. She pulled herself up to stand on the side of the tub last week, now she can reach more! Very fun, but very aggravating sometimes too

Separation anxiety is here too. It's definitely that object permanence thing, because as soon as I leave the room she looks around for me and tries to come find me. It's funny because she'll crawl around the house, but cry as she's crawling away! We had maybe one week there where she was content to just sit and play and be happy with other people. Oh well.....

Living it up with DH, DD 6, DD 4, DS 1 and
:
#9 of 442 Old 02-01-2005, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We're working on the top teeth as well. He's a real trooper, sleep was OK, but he can't eat his beloved purees - I think the spoon hurts him. He hardly ate any solids yesterday. Rigt now he's working on diced fruit and cubed tofu, which seems to fit the bill, along with twice as much mama milk as usual

We went to playgroup today, and all the other kids were crawling and cruising and he was just sitting there like a lump. He is the least mobile baby in the group. And I breastfeed and we coslept and I wear him! I am like an anti-advertisement for AP! :
#10 of 442 Old 02-02-2005, 01:39 AM

No, he's just relaxed enough because he's attached enough!!! It's kind of early for them to be crawling. I know plenty are, but it's well before average.

When do you take off the crib bumper? I can't remember from dd. Rowan was poking under it this evening and pulling it up enough to peek through. Obviously he can't use it to climb out yet, but I don't want to find out I should have taken it out, you know?

I am guiltily enjoying my brief stint with disposable diapers. From an evil corporate empire, too. :

My dd is doing much better this week. Our early start to the day made such a huge difference. Tomorrow we are going to Miami to visit my favourite consignment shop and see the new Parrot Jungle, which replaced the old wonderful one, and is somehow now twice as expensive to visit!
#11 of 442 Old 02-02-2005, 01:39 AM

I'm subscribing to the thread and just saying hi! I've been cleaning today and I have to teach classes the next two days, so things are busy at the moment... Happy February everyone!

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#12 of 442 Old 02-02-2005, 10:06 AM

Flora is sitting to play more and more. I've been putting the boppy behind her so if she does tumble she has something to cushion the fall. She's getting better and better at it. She's also been rolling! Seems like that practice we had together last week has motivated her. She only does it on the bed but she'll roll from her back to her tummy and them screech because she doesn't want to be on her tummy. She's not eating many solids at all but I'm offering her some twice a day now.

Now, can I feel sorry for myself? I was up until 12:00 with Flora last night despite a real desperate desire to accomplish something, anything. I nursed her from practically 8:00 to 12:00 with only 10 minutes here or there to pee, etc. So I ask DH to get me up at 5:30 so I can get a jump start on the day. Wednesday's are our busiest day of the week around here. So I get up at 5:45, pee, brush my teeth, Flora wakes up and starts crying. I go up to nurse her back down and fall back asleep my self. At 6:45 I wake up and come back downstairs. Before I even get my first cup of coffee poured, Isabel comes trotting down the stair case. I'm being a bad momma and ignoring her to post this and drink my coffee. It's a bad bad thing to start the day feeling so burnt out.
#13 of 442 Old 02-02-2005, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

seedling

i know what you mean...i love this time early in the morning (well it's not that early...7:30) when i can come downstairs by myself for a half an hour or so. sorry you had such a rough night.

well...i guess i need to edit my first post about what's going on in lily's world! yesterday i was in the kitchen and she was nearby playing (i created a little playspace in what used to be our dinette). she was babbling and having fun and i was doing my thing. all of the sudden i noticed that it was too quiet and looked up. there she was standing in the middle of the room! pulled up on her busy box and was just hanging out smiling!! my first reaction was omg...she's going to fall back and i ran over but then i took a breath and just watched her and she was pretty steady so i quietly slipped in behind her and just sat there (just in case she decided to throw herself back). she stood for a good long time!! so neat. and bittersweet.
#14 of 442 Old 02-02-2005, 12:39 PM

How exciting Erin! Gosh, that seems really far away for us. They all develop so differently.

Well Isabel is at school. Today is picture day. The teacher offered for us to come early so we could get a picture of Isabel and Flora together too. And of course this morning Isabel went upstairs to play LOUDLY (her only volume level) and woke Flora up about two hours earlier than normal. So by the time we get there for pictures Flora is tired (oh, and maybe the tiredness is also because she partied until 12:00 last night). And Isabel was in a MOOD. Probably partly MY fault b/c I was (AM!) in a MOOD. So it was just horrible. H.O.R.R.I.B.L.E. Anyway, it's not really a big deal. I can get pictures done at Sears. I'm just in a whiny mood.
#15 of 442 Old 02-02-2005, 02:13 PM
Banned

I thought babies were supposed to start crawling at around 6 mo according to the "experts"? I totally freaked out with Tain because of that.

Seedling-Argh. So frustrating!! I love the way you talk about Isabel having bad days. It always makes me laugh when you write MOOD, it makes it so easy to imagine. (Boy, does Tain have those sometimes!)

I've been missing Grease lately too. And Bandana has been gone quite a while...
Speaking of, congrats Mummoth on your name change! What made you decide to change it? It's weird to call you that, like our user names have become our real names after a while, yk? I want to change mine too, I still have no idea as to what.

I set up my easel yesterday. I have so much art stuff, charcoals, graphite, paint and I never use it. I figured out that if my easel is up on my sewing table Tain leaves it alone. It is a traveling one, so I can set it up w/o extending the legs. I took some pics of the boys' feet yesterday and decided to make a drawing. It is coming out a lot better than I expected. I have a couple nice drawings from an art class (my only one) that I took and dropped half way through when I was pg with Tain, but I have trouble recreating that space (n easy to pick out, dynamic subject under good light and about 3 hours to focus on it) at home so my drawings come out terrible in comparison. But with it set up like this I can work and take a break and work and take a break so my kids don't get furious with me. It is the first time I have attempted a project that I didn't do in one sitting. Makes me feel like a real artist and not how I usually feel-"I don't know, it just happened. There is no way I could recreate it"

#16 of 442 Old 02-02-2005, 03:21 PM

So this is what my darling husband said to me after I responded to his email about Isabel waking early enough to say bye to him...it was venty email and I concluded it by saying I wasn't mad at him, I was just burnt out:

"I know it's not directed at me, but when it's this tornado that surrounds you, it hits me, too."

I would like to hit him. *HE* got to go to sleep last night. *HE* helped me out by getting aggravated with Isabel and forcing me to do bedtime last night after I'd already said I needed a break. *HE* helped me out by taking Flora up to bed with him and promptly falling asleep while she fussed and whined. Would it kill him to put her in the sling and walk? Would it kill him to drive her around? One would think so. I can count on one hand the number of times he has done that in the past 8 months.

But NO, I'm wonder woman didn't ya know? I can work, I can care for the kids, I can make it on 4 hours of sleep a night. I can do it and by golly I can be chipper too. Here are my feelings. Here's a paper bag. Here I am shoving them in and folding the bag down. My feelings are effectively stuffed.

Julie, that's cool about the artwork. I like to scrapbook (as hoakie as that is) and can't wait to get back to it. It's meditative.
#17 of 442 Old 02-02-2005, 03:31 PM

I've been wondering where the heck Grease is! Hmmmm.

Things are going pretty smoothly. We've settled into a routine with dh gone. It's actually getting pretty easy. Both kids were asleep by 8:30 last night. That's a first! It's actually easier to keep the house clean with dh gone. Anyone else have that experience?

Wow. Babies standing! I don't think ds will stand for quite a while. No sign of crawling yet, but he can roll wherever he wants to go. He won't touch pureed stuff, so he just nibbles on Os and teething biscuits. He's getting lots of light blonde hair and he's just enormous! He's such a little sweetie. All smiles, all the time. He's had his two bottom teeth for almost two months and there is no sign of the top ones yet.

Dd has had a really runny nose, but thank goodness she feels absolutely fine. She has peed through her diaper at night 3 times in the last week! One of the disadvantages of co-sleeping, I guess, is waking up in a huge wet spot and having to cover it with a towel til morning. Not to mention washing king size bedding 3 times in 6 days! She sleeps in a Huggies Overnight diaper because it is the only thing that actually works MOST nights. I just don't know what else to try!
#18 of 442 Old 02-02-2005, 06:13 PM
Banned

susan-we have been having the same problem! we are off to buy nighttime dipes for Tain tomorrow. I totally feel your pain!
#19 of 442 Old 02-02-2005, 07:00 PM

Still no teeth here, and no sign of one, either.

BooBah took two steps in a row yesterday. She loves eating things, and it's a huge struggle to keep things out of her mouth. Anything she can find goes right in, and she can find *anything*. On a freshly vaccuumed floor, she can find the single staple that the machine didn't pick up, or the rubber band that fell off the bottom of your shoe... yich. :LOL

You guys should knit some wool pants to go over the diapers for bedtime-- I am continually amazed by how useful they are. If you put them over a Fuzzi Bunz or even a sposie, they'll absorb what would have leaked out and left you in a puddle. Very cool stuff, and it easily buys me another hour of sleep each night.

Tomorrow, my sister is taking my son and nieces to this place where they can run around like maniacs for hours on end. What a brilliant idea! Maybe BeanBean will actually tire himself out. :LOL

I'm going to knit a pair for BeanBean because he always wants to wear BooBah's (they're so soft and comfy and "cute cute!") as well as a smaller pair for BooBah who's got a big diaper booty but very short legs and a small waist. She's growing so well, though, she looks really healthy and strong. I really need to call and ask how her last creatnine was, but I've been putting it off because she seems so healthy and strong that I'm worried about something bursting the bubble. I'll call tomorrow, I guess.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#20 of 442 Old 02-02-2005, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithie
We went to playgroup today, and all the other kids were crawling and cruising and he was just sitting there like a lump. He is the least mobile baby in the group. And I breastfeed and we coslept and I wear him! I am like an anti-advertisement for AP! :
Ironically enough, I felt the same way when BooBah crawled away from me and pulled up to cruise and just stand around at my last LLL meeting. It was like, if I'd carried her more, and slept closer to her, she shouldn't be doing that stuff yet she should be content to sit in the sling and stay with mamma.

It's so strange, how that stuff can mess with you no matter where your baby is on the spectrum.

#21 of 442 Old 02-02-2005, 07:45 PM

Us too on the nighttime diaper front. I have been changing R several times a night.

R goes onto her hands and knees from a sit, rocks for a while, then bellyflops and howls. It's so funny and so pathetic. She loves to stand up, can bend down and pick something up and right herself again if she is hanging on with the other hand. Still has no sense of caution about gravity though. I wonder if babies would ever stand if they knew what they were up against.

A better night's sleep last night, but those teeth are still bothering her, poor munchkin. My batteries are pretty low too so I am trying to nurture myself.

seedling, tell your DH the tornado will let him off in Oz, that he ain't in Kansas anymore. I can relate. I hope things get better and I think its really hard not to be in a mood when one is drained beyond belief. I can't believe I am driving a car some days...
#22 of 442 Old 02-02-2005, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
:
#23 of 442 Old 02-02-2005, 11:05 PM
Banned

yay, good to see you grease!!

mum-thanks for posting that link to up to ten. tain has been glued to the puter all day laughing hysterically! he was getting so bored with pbs and thomas...
#24 of 442 Old 02-03-2005, 02:54 AM

I know, I've been guilty of only popping in when I want to talk about ME...
#25 of 442 Old 02-03-2005, 03:51 AM

Hey all! I've been having just a rotten day. Finally got the boys to bed and Dan is off to dry the laundry at the laundromat so I'm having some quiet time at last

Kieran is also getting serious seperation anxiety; whenever I have to run into the next room for something, he's heading my way, gets about halfway there before I come back in and he turns back around, and he sometimes does it several times. He's way advanced mobility-wise, which I kind of expected as Ben was also, but he's just moving far too early. He's been crawling since around Thanksgiving, started pulling up to stand and cruise just after Thanksgiving and I swear he'll be walking on his own in a minute. He's really agile, too, can crawl right to the edge of the bed and turn around to sit without even teetering. He's fallen over a lot in the past 2 months, but it's happening less and less as his balance is getting so much better.

Still no teeth and barely any hair, and what little he has is so light you can barely see it. He laughs so much and babbles almost constantly; "ba ba ba ba ba ba and ma ma ma ma ma ma (each syllable said very distinctly, with lips smacking, it's almost funnier to watch than to hear!), keekeekeekeekee (which seems to be directed at the cats, like he's trying to say kitty??) raspberries and assorted other interesting sounds. He's had some solids, just stuff that we're eating, but he had a really, um, solid poo yesterday so I might back off a bit to let his system get used to it all more slowly. I'm doing that gall bladder cleanse this week so I'm eating a lot of apples (the pectin is supposed to help soften the gallstones) and he's been wanting to share but I think they're binding him up too much.

hmm, what else?? oh yes, nursing gymnastics driving. me. insane! He's so freaking distractable he pops on and off 20 times and tries to climb over my shoulder while still holding on to my breast. When I put him to bed, he skooches up and up with his tush in the air trying to keep a latch on the nipple until he's almost above me and can't hold on anymore, so I scoop him up and put him back down, relatch and he does it again. It takes 2 or 3 cycles before he'll settle enough to actually fall asleep. have I mentioned it is driving me insane??

I really hope things settle down soon around here, I don't think I can keep going at this pace without snapping. My dad came and rewired the electric in the garage/studio so I can start working out there when it's not too cold (which it has been). Now we just have ot wait for our tax return to get the plywood to finish the walls of the garage and set up the playroom. I can't wait!!

Geez, this got long. Sorry to write such a me post especially seeing as I post so rarely. I'm reading often and answering y'all in my head, I just never get it typed out Hope you are all having a good week. May February be a faboo month for us all!!

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#26 of 442 Old 02-03-2005, 04:10 AM
Banned

don't we all talk about us when we post? Besides, I love hearing about everyone else, I don't think anyone should apologize!

I can't believe the acrobatics slipped my mind! He will only nurse now with one leg on mine but the other between my legs. That isn't so bad except he is really into putting both his legs in between mine and pushing them straight so he is standing on the couch but bent at the waist to stay latched on. He isn't cruising yet so he bends and straightens his legs a lot, very jerkily since he doesn't have good muscle control yet. Makes me crazy!!

Ro IS getting a tooth! So I was right the first time. He never got a bump in his gums, they just sort of made a hole and now I can feel the tooth. Since he didn't get a bump, I started to think I was hallucinating the little hole but it is definitely there today and, like I said, I can feel the edge of the tooth. I called my mom and told her he was too little to get teeth. She said "he's just too young for one of your babies. He can even be considered a little late by other people's standards." It was funny since Tain didn't get any teeth until 11 mo.

Ro is so loving the solids. He has had some stinky farts, though! After someone posted about solids giving their baby painful gas I have tried to give him plenty of time between the last feeding of the day and bedtime. It is working well for us. So thanks for that, I don't think I would have thought about it otherwise.

Gotta go
#27 of 442 Old 02-03-2005, 04:51 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My God, did anybody read that sticky from Cynthia about cursing and sexy talk?

You just KNOW that there have been people, actual adult human beings who are responsible for the care of children, who have been whining to the mods about dirty words and dirty talk. I wonder how THEIR babies got made. Me, I had sex with my husband. And I would do it again. And sometimes when my frustration with my husband or my baby reaches a high level, I like to use adult language when conversing with my peers. Imagine that.

(collectively addressing the prudish PMers) Get a freaking LIFE! Telling your KID how to behave is "coercive," but playing hall monitor with other adults in what is supposed to be a supportive community space is hunky-dory? A little consistency, please, mamas!

:
#28 of 442 Old 02-03-2005, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithie
I wonder how THEIR babies got made. Me, I had sex with my husband. And I would do it again. And sometimes when my frustration with my husband or my baby reaches a high level, I like to use adult language when conversing with my peers. Imagine that.

:LOL Well, that's how my babies got made, too... but in all fairness, it's not always the case these days.... As to the language, if you think I have a problem with it, you probably haven't read my blog at all. : :

:

#29 of 442 Old 02-03-2005, 12:25 PM

smithie: I think some complain just to complain.

Lily is becoming a monkey while she nurses. She flips and flops and kneads my boob.
#30 of 442 Old 02-03-2005, 12:30 PM
Banned

i was wondering about the sexual innuendo part last night. does that mean we aren't supposed to talk about sex at all or that we just aren't supposed to go into details or that they would like some ppl to be less lewd? Because sex is part of being a mother and when you have really young children, sex is a issue you talk to your peers about. Our problems surrounding it aren't going to go away just because we aren't supposed to talk about it, that just seems so 50's, yk? Shove it down, ignore it, don't talk about it and miraculously it won't exist anymore. Plus, how many children are reading MDC? Come on, we are all adults here. Maybe they are having problems with certain forums and so made a blanket statement. When I surf TAO, the flavor of the threads is a lot more "adult" (not the XXX type of adult :LOL). I don't think anything we say here is really a problem and I would be surprised if someone outside of our circle thought so.

Balancin-how's your sleep? Have those teeth shown up yet?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page