September 2004 Mamas February Thread - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-17-2005, 01:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's an allergy elimination technique - www.naet.com

I did something similar to diagnose ds sensitivities. For the first few weeks of his life he had what we thought was colic (screaming in pain, clawing at us, etc), but I couldn't accept that. My gut told me it was something I was eating. So, I did an elimination diet based on info I got from http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/t041200.asp
As soon as I changed my diet, he improved SO much. I had to eliminate a lot out of my diet b/c he had reactions to lots of foods (dairy, wheat, corn, soy, gluten, eggs, nuts, fish, beef, pork, potatoes, bananas, and more that I can't remember right now). It was difficult to adjust at first, but he is so much happier and sleeps better. It took awhile to figure out all the foods he had problems with, lots of trial and error, so it took a while to nail it down. We are still experimenting, for instance I just recently added legumes and kale back into my diet. So far, he seems to be okay. I also just starting going to a naturopathic doctor and he's trying to help us figure out all these sensitivites that ds has. Hopefully, we will get them cleared up and I will be able to have a more diversified diet. I have lost a lot of weight (not a bad thing, but I didn't have much too lose so its been hard eating enough to keep from losing too much more).
Okay, i'll stop ranting b/c I don't know how relevant any of this is.

Christine - mama to my 4 boys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2005, 02:47 AM

We've had a lot of success with NAET. At first I was skeptical because diagnosis is based on muscle testing and the whole concept seemed quite bizarre to me, but when I saw the information and results that this technique can get, I was amazed. A lot of the success has to do with the skill of the practitioner, so you would want to go to one who is experienced.
For us, it's worked really well. Ds is still fussy, but is getting a lot better. Now, if we could just get him down for a nap....
Old 02-17-2005, 03:21 AM

Denise, those are super cute Eli pictures!
Old 02-17-2005, 01:39 PM

Kate's not really fussy at all, she's just not a good sleeper. Could that be allergies?
Old 02-17-2005, 01:39 PM

Makynzi can wear 12 month clothes!!!! DH's grandma had sent a bunch of nice baby clothes but several of them were 12 mos. Well just out of curiosity I tried them on her. They fit great. A little long but none of them have feet so that is a good thing. She doesnt weigh that much. She is just really tall. Maybe these are just sized small or something? I dont know they are different brands.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:44 PM

I am also going insane with sleep deprivation. But I'm pretty sure the cause is from trying to get Miles to sleep in his crib. DH is so squished in our bed all the time, so we start him out in the crib. I just have to get up so many times because he sleeps better with us. I think I'll just wait until DH is asleep, then bring him in with me as usual. My mother won't stop bugging me about putting him in his own room "so he'll be a well-adjusted person." She lets her dog sleep between her and my dad's heads! Whatever, I've just started telling people he sleeps through the night in his own room. It's easier to lie to some people. :
Hey- does anyone have any adoption success stories from their friends, etc? Also, how long do people you know generally wait to get a child? Have you known anyone that has been trying to adopt for years and still hasn't gotten a child? I ask because I have a friend who is getting discouraged. She had to have a hysterectamy sp? after her son was born. I would appreciate any stories- PM me or post. Thanks.

A good book series I can reccommend is "The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency" by Alexander McCall Smith. It takes place in modern day Botswana, and is really funny. Also, anything by Barbara Kingsolver- I second that.
It's funny about onesies- Miles has used the extenders since birth- no matter what size he wears. He is still in 0-3 mo. pants, and 12 mo. shirts. I think he got my long body!

Busy mama to 4 boys, M 9/04, E 4/06, our angel baby N (passed 10/09 at 1 day old) & newbie C, 12/10
Old 02-17-2005, 03:08 PM

Jen- Is this what you are talking about? I just found the link on another board I read.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6959880/site/newsweek/
Old 02-17-2005, 03:30 PM

Mandy - might very well be, I haven't read the story yet.

Kinsey - my friends Cheryl and Bill have just adopted a gorgeous little girl whom you've possibly seen in sistermama's announcements portfolio or on my page (see sig, I know there are pics of her on p 14). They ttc for 5+ years with nearly every intervention you can imagine except for in vitro, and decided at the end of last year to throw in the fertility towel. They took January off and started with the whole adoption thing in February. They were "in the book" (their profile was in the book of waiting families for mothers to go through - they did an open adoption) in June, and got the call about Estella in late November. She came home to them at the beginning of December.

Granted, 5+ mos is remarkably fast, but that's their story. And they've got a sweet little lovey! So I hope your friend keeps her chin up!

That's all, T is asleep for a nap so I think I'd better go do my morning things and make myself some while I have the chance.

j

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
Old 02-17-2005, 03:35 PM

wow, I just read all 3 of those articles and all I can say is wow. There are some very good points in all of them. I would definately recommend reading it.
I do think some of the things the first author wrote were negative about a lot of things we feel strongly on. However, the point she wast trying to get at was a very good one.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:00 PM

In NAET, allergy is loosely defined as anything that creates dissonance in the body. This can even include maladaptive/distressing emotions. Therefore, anything that creates a feeling of unbalance or a maladaptive reaction can in theory be treated by NAET.
As an example, some of the treatments with ds were to treat my breastmilk with upsetting emotions that I was having that were affecting him (through the breastmilk). Again, I know it sounds bizarre, but it worked! We also treated him for more physical things. I've really been amazed by these treatments. It's a treatment method that I find fascinating and does make sense when you look at things from an energetic perspective. I'm in the field of Chinese medicine so looking at things from this perspective is not a far off concept for me.
And really, if things aren't working and you're going crazy, anything's worth a try, right?
Old 02-17-2005, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkymonkeymom
Jen- Is this what you are talking about? I just found the link on another board I read.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6959880/site/newsweek/

Great article. To provide some perspective on a better way, check out this article on Sweden's family policies. Wouldn't it be incredible if we could have what they have?
Old 02-17-2005, 06:26 PM

I keep seeing all these beautiful babies so I wanted to share pictures of Prudence. I still don't have a good shot of her dark blue eyes. But you'll see that neither dad or I are fair and blonde like she is
I know someone else here was talking about how their child didn't favor them I think....?

http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EegMm7Rm0bOHCQ
Old 02-17-2005, 07:51 PM

pretty girl, Megan! How long has your husband been stretching his lobes?

Old 02-17-2005, 07:54 PM

Thanks Jen. I could just eat Tristan up. Some of his pics remind me of Prue. Ryan's been stretching for 10yrs. He's done.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:10 PM

So cute, Megan!!!
Old 02-17-2005, 08:10 PM

Megan, Prue is such a cutie! She chubbed out nicely over the last few months. =O) I love her diapers...
Old 02-17-2005, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganW
I keep seeing all these beautiful babies so I wanted to share pictures of Prudence. I still don't have a good shot of her dark blue eyes. But you'll see that neither dad or I are fair and blonde like she is

So cute!
We're still trying to figure out who ds looks like :LOL
I think as he gets older, we'll figure out who he looks like.

Old 02-17-2005, 09:33 PM

I like watching all of our babies get chunkier!

Mamas - I am TIRED!!! I need a break from being a mom. But even when I get one, my body starts demanding I get back to Lucy. Jack's favorite new thing to say is, "I'm having a hard time, I need YOU, YOU, YOU!" Don't I know it kid. But Mommy needs some SPACE, SPACE, SPACE!!!! I can't even pump without him being on top of me. I don't really mean this, but sometimes I wonder, why in the hell did I want to "attach" this child to me???? Go watch TV for 4 hours a day like "normal" toddlers!!!
Old 02-17-2005, 09:50 PM

Yipes, so behind again! Jen, you have more posts than I do and I've been here for over 4 years! I think I lost my postcount a few years ago when the boards went down for weeks and weeks. I've always been more of a lurker than a poster, though.

Megan-Prudence is adorable! She's got nice round cheeks like Bhavani--I love her name, btw.

Gotta go! DH needs the computer. I can't wait until my mil gives us her old computer--we'll have our internet access out in the dining room then--yay!

Bhavani is starting to "triangle sit." (sitting leaning forward, using her arms to hold her up). I got some really cute photos of her looking very pround of herself--will post when I have more time.

Heather

Heather, Mama to DS(10) DD(7.5),DD(6)
Old 02-18-2005, 12:54 AM

Eli the NAET sounds interesting. Desi doesn't sleep too well. I wouldn't say that she is fussy. She has her moments. She just doesn't like to sleep.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:09 AM

I've been here for 4 years as well and only have this many since I had to start over(Didn't remember my last log in name, switched emails, moved, whatta mess). I was always a : when Aidan was a baby. Also I was new to parenting and living next to my militant AP inlaws. It just freaked me out even more to come here.

Bryn is definately sick. He keeps waking from naps when he coughs, and I keep holding off on the meds.

The babies are chunking out very nicely
Can someone tell me the process again to get the pics onto shutterbug and link it onto a post? I feel so left out, even though I'm sure if I just followed the directions...

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
Old 02-18-2005, 01:34 AM

Bendmom - on shutterfly open the album you want to share. Go to "share online" which is a tab on the upper part of the page. Choose the pics you want to share, follow the directions and then email the share to yourself. Once you get the email, scroll down and you will see a line the says something like: if this link doesn't work for you cut and paste this address. Copy that address and then paste it into a link in your post on mothering. Do you know how to do links on mothering? If not, let me know and I"ll email that to you.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sistermama
Go watch TV for 4 hours a day like "normal" toddlers!!!
:LOL

*building temporary fence around Sarah*

Old 02-18-2005, 03:00 AM

Here are some pics-

Hope this works http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EegNXLNs0ZuHBA

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
Old 02-18-2005, 03:05 AM

He is cute!!!! Aidan is a sweetie too. I love the cuddling pics.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:09 AM

What cute boys! I have that same saucer for Lu at work - scored it out of my neighbors trash! People throw away the damndest things!

Lu has crud in her eye, so I'm off to pump and then squirt. Wish I could do it straight from the tap, but I haven't figured out how.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sistermama
Lu has crud in her eye, so I'm off to pump and then squirt. Wish I could do it straight from the tap, but I haven't figured out how.
I've tried it and its not easy (did it once when ds has scratched his eyeball). I try to unlatch ds when i'm having let-down, but it winds up getting all over the place. Pumping is probably better. Besides, unlatching him makes for a very unhappy baby. :LOL
It did help his eye heal though. I also use bm whenever he scratches his face (I try to trim his nails often, but they grow so fast). Heals him up real quick!!!

Old 02-18-2005, 03:13 AM

Bendmom, what beautiful children!!! And I love Bryn's big smile.

Sistermama, you made me laugh. I'm sorry to laugh at your "pain", but your post about needing SPACE SPACE SPACE, and wishing yours would watch 4 hours of TV a day like normal toddlers just tickled my funny bone. Maybe if he must hang all over you, he could be doing something productive, like playing gently with your hair or walking on your back while you lay on the floor (gotta love those kid massages)...

Ack, my bird will not SHUT UP!

P.S. Today was the first day a baby tried out that green and red striped diaper I made... William looked so cute in it, and ended up peeing and pooping in it, while wearing it about 2 hours in his car seat on errands. Drum roll -- the diaper passed the test with flying colors! I'm so thrilled.

And I finally got to talk to my Mom again today... She sounds so great, and is doing much, much better. She's recovering at my sister's house.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sorry to interrupt ladies, but sistermama, could you please check your pms if you read this? Thanks so much!
Old 02-18-2005, 11:27 AM

Adorable pictures, bendmom! I like the one of the two boys snuggling.

And Megan, what a sweet little girl!

Do any of you have an ABC? I'm debating on getting one or making one-do you think it would be difficult to sew one? I'm thinking of a Mei Tei.

User Tag List