September 2004 Mamas February Thread - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-22-2005, 02:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sistermama -- that cardigan sounds great! I would love it, I'll email you right now.

Punkymonkey -- for LaRue it seems like whenever you touch the back of her hand she will open it and thus, let go of the handful of hair. This also works well when they start pulling on an animal's fur. We always did that for Chloë when she was little (tell her "open hands"), and then we opened her hand and showed her how to pet our cat. Poor cat, he had to go through a few months of trying very hard to not be too close to her.

LaRue is so silly, she has the hardest time playing with toys. She wants everything to go into her mouth, but when she holds a toy she tries to immediately put it in her mouth, but it never seems to get in her mouth the way she wants it too and then she gets mad. Chloë never had this frustration with toys, she would hold toys, shake toys, then chew on it a little, but toys never got her mad. Are any of your babies like this too, or is LaRue the only one.

Also, another thing that cracks me up is that she can be so spastic sometimes. We walk into a busy place, like Coffee Bean, and she has to look at everything immediately, so she is looking around and swinging her head everywhere trying to take everything in, she'll smile at someone who is looking at her, then in an instant is swinging her head around again. Finally after a few minutes she can relax, I guess since she's scoped out the place sufficiently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2005, 03:07 AM

Look what happenend when I was at Target
Old 02-22-2005, 05:11 AM

I've finished a seventh diaper... on a roll... come see! http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeAM2TRszcsWzH5g I especially like the cute hot chili pepper one at the end. I'm hoping it works as well as the last couple have!

This is so much fun!

Sleep? What's that? Mwah hah hah...
Old 02-22-2005, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
toh...sleeping babe...

I'm skimming through pages of posts... Big to all those with sick/hurting babies/selves!

We're trying to finish getting ready to move... Just crazy how much there is to do! I check five things off my list and add 10 more! :

Iain is feeling some better, though I think his first tooth i finally breaking through. Pretty sure it's the first on the right - not in the middle. He's awakened inconsolably the last two nights, crying but not hysterical IYKWIM, and I've seen a white dot for days. Today he's been chewing on his tongue in that one spot. Anyway, hopefully it'll finish and we'll all get some sleep!

We've ALL been sick, so I didn't get to go up and see my friend and her new baby (who JUST came home from the hospital, thankfully) today - it's a 7-8hr drive and my other friend bailed, too.

I better get some sleep - but I miss all of you mamas!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 02-22-2005, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeministFatale
Also, another thing that cracks me up is that she can be so spastic sometimes. We walk into a busy place, like Coffee Bean, and she has to look at everything immediately, so she is looking around and swinging her head everywhere trying to take everything in, she'll smile at someone who is looking at her, then in an instant is swinging her head around again. Finally after a few minutes she can relax, I guess since she's scoped out the place sufficiently.
LMAO! I love when babies do this - great description!

DD1 (8yrs) + DD2 (6yrs) + DS1 (4/25/11) = one crazy adventure!
Old 02-22-2005, 12:20 PM

Jen, so sorry you have the evil mastitis! How sweet of Jo to stay home, though! Sending healing vibes your way. Keep taking that acidopholus to keep away the yeasties.

Sarah--What a horrible story! That poor, sweet little boy! Good for you for saying something. It just brings tears to my eyes when I hear about parents like that. So, so sad.

Savannah--Your diapers are looking beautiful! They look so cute on the babies, too! I'm sure I'm not the only one who's amazed you have time to sew. I think I left a part of my machine at a friend's house. I really want to finish the cashmere longies I cut out for both girls.

Leela turned two on Sunday. She got a cute, smallish wooden dollhouse and wooden birthday cake (with velcro'd pieces to decorate it with candles, etc, really cute) from dh's mom, a wooden bus with little people pegs in bright colors and some Maisy books from my parents, and a little Waldorf style doll from us. Does anyone else's toddler LOVE Maisy? We don't have cable, so she doesn't watch it on TV, but we have a video and several books.

We did get our rental car from the other guy's insurance yesterday. It's a minivan, all they had that would fit 3 carseats, and I'm loving it! If we do get money for a new car, we'll buy a several year old minivan, probably a Toyota Previa. We should hear today what's up with our poor little Corolla--keeping my fingers crossed that it's totalled. Farmer's (his insurance) is being very accomodating, as he was clearly at fault.

I'm wondering if Bhavani is already getting more teeth. She was really fussy yesterday. She slept well, though. Even while she was getting those two bottom teeth at the same time she slept well. Yesterday she just couldn't seem to settle for a decent length nap.

The medium Happy Heiny pocket dipes I got on the TP are too big for Bhavani. They're supposed to fit 14-25 lbs, and she's around 14, but the legs are too big. They do fit Leela, though, at 25 lbs. I just bought a Happy Hempy off the Diaper Pin forums for B to try. They're pocket fitteds, so they need cover. After years of only prefolds, I find myself wanting something "fancier," even though I love using pinned prefolds still.

Well, everyone have a happy, healthy day! Healing vibes going out to the remaining sick babies and families!
Heather

Heather, Mama to DS(10) DD(7.5),DD(6)
Old 02-22-2005, 12:29 PM

Savannah - your diapers look GREAT! I'm seriously impressed!

HeatherB - moving sucks - thinking of you!

We're finally all healthy again, thank goodness. Dp's 30th bday was Sunday - had a sushi party and lots of fun. Kept teasing him, but he's just taking it in stride.

DD1 (8yrs) + DD2 (6yrs) + DS1 (4/25/11) = one crazy adventure!
Old 02-22-2005, 01:06 PM

Alamiel, I wanted to thank you again for your bf support when my milk mysteriously dropped to almost nothing last week. Turns out it WAS AF...went right back up to normal on the 2nd day!

Savannah.... ......I'm drooling over those...I especially love the girly flower PUL.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:35 PM

Just wanted to pop in and say hi. What a yucky weekend! Yikes! My brother also cracked his skull as an infant (fell out of his crib), but the hospital misread his x-rays and sent him home saying nothing was wrong. Two days later, the hospital calls my mom back saying that he fractured his skull and to watch him closely for 24 hours (now 36 hours after the fall)! Glad Lucy is on the mend! How's Jack doing?

We're dealing with a sick baby here too. Jackson had a 103 fever all day Saturday and now he's all congested and everything else. Poor guy is really struggling with sleep, and so am I. Think we may spend tonight in the recliner rather than going to bed.

Jen, I hope your feeling better today!

Savannah, dipes are beautiful! I'm in awe!

Let's hope the week gets better and leads to healthy happy babies who enjoy sleeping!

Pam

Mama to ds 11, ds 7, dd 5, dd 2, and dd born on 6/17/12!

Old 02-22-2005, 01:50 PM

Thanks everyone!

Heather, glad moving prep is going well. Good thing you're a list maker!!!

Boobykins, when my small Happy Heinys were too big in the legs for my babies, I discovered they fit better if I crossed the tabs in front. It looks funny, like a duckbill sticking out, but you have half of each tab gripping the velcro strip, and the other half poking up against the other half tab. The HH maker really should put a crossover tab on those dipes.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:39 PM

FeministFatale I hope you're avoiding that psycho weather in CA.

Thanks to those of you who have wished me well. I had a 103 fever last night and was alternating Tylenol and mega-dose Advil to try to keep it around 101. It broke finally around 10:30 or so. I slept in the den by myself but it was a good thing I heard Tristan at 4:30 because both of my breasts were leaking (isn't that strange to have so little milk but have breasts that leak so much!?) so I got up and nursed him. I am having a hard time rocking him to sleep, though, or at least i did last night, because I was too hot for him! I guess he had an ok night's sleep in the co-sleeper; Jo is too nervous that she'll roll into him to sleep next to him in bed.

But he did the sweetest thing after I nursed him at 4:30: I was rocking him, he was nearly asleep, and he grabbed two fistfuls of my pj shirt, pulled them to his face, breathed deeply and fell asleep with his face buried in my shirt. How adorable! I was so touched that he missed me.

Jo has been busy finding out just how much emotional and mental energy goes into taking care of a baby in addition to the sheer physical labor but somehow it's turning into a kind of resentment that I'm making her do it instead of the awe and understanding I'd hoped for. she does, however, have T *at work* with her right now... I hope it's going ok.

I am feeling better, able to nurse T on the infected breast, the salty milk doesn't seem to bother him (it still tastes better than formula!), but it's still bright red.

and now, since I can... I'm going to go take a nap. wow.

xo, j.

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
Old 02-22-2005, 02:42 PM

Nice diapers, Savannah!

Jen, sorry to hear about the mastitis. I hope it clears up really fast.

Yesterday, Arowen wasn't feeling herself. I noticed the white spots on her gums, so I'm blaming teething. Poor little girl.
Our van is out of commission because one of the tires looks like it will rip apart anytime. I've got some library books due today, so it looks like we will be taking a very long walk.
Thanks for the link to Mamatoto. I finally mastered a back carry with my homemade wrap. I kept trying when Mika was a baby, but could never get it. I got much better instructions from Mamatoto, and can do it easily now. I must say that my trekker is a lot more comfortable though. (And I am learning to relax enough that I don't end up with a headache from babywearing, so I am proud of myself.) I wonder if I should drop into the public health unit to have Arowen weighed? It's right there, but is probably too much trouble with 7 rambunctious children in tow.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:16 PM

Jen, what a sweet snuggly thing Tristan did last night! That is so cute.

Melanie, the thought of you trekking to the library with 7 rambunctious children in tow is quite awe-inspiring, LOL. I hope to be in your shoes one day.

I got my gauze appliqued wrap, and have the front cross carry down pat. I've tried the back carry a couple of times, but my babies are so wiggly that I can't do it until I have a helper. I really want to hurry up and learn it!! I also love that Mamatoto site.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:07 PM

wow, those diapers are looking great!

Jen-It is so awesome Jo took T to work! Im sure you need the rest!As much as she may gripe, I bet she will get a new appreciation of what it takes to care for a baby all the time.

I agree with Savannah. Melanie, the thought of taking 7 kids anywhere is awe-inspiring.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardermom
Thanks for the link to Mamatoto. I finally mastered a back carry with my homemade wrap. I kept trying when Mika was a baby, but could never get it. I got much better instructions from Mamatoto, and can do it easily now.
Yay!!! Nothing like having them on you, but free to move your arms!

Check out this way of getting the baby onto your back. I find it easier than the way they have you do it on Mamatoto. I get Lucy up like that and then go on with a Tibetan/rucksack carry.

Great dipes Savannah. I've got to get my machine fixed.....

Jen that is that sweetest thing that T did. What a lovey!

Pam - thanks for asking about Jack. He is fine now as well. We played out me falling a bunch of times with him as Lucy. (I love that book Playful Parenting) Now I think he is just a little sad that he didn't get to go in the ambulance.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:52 PM

Hello everyone! I hope all the sickness heals. (mastitis sucks, I'm sorry!) Things here are good, except I'm having such a hard time : He won't go in cradle unless he's tired. If I try kangaroo, he stands up, and he won't do hip yet. I used a stroller at the museum yesterday. :

So is anyone else's baby sitting up but not rolling over? Miles can sit for an hour just playing, not using his arms at all to help prop, and he can almost go from lying down to sitting just with his stomach muscles, but he won't roll over or try to use his arms to get him up!?

I think his teeth went back down again, UUUGGGgghh! I just want them to break through already. Oh well, at least I'm not getting my nipple bitten off yet.

BTW, he still doesn't fit Med. HH, and he's around 17 lbs. And he has chubby legs!!?

Busy mama to 4 boys, M 9/04, E 4/06, our angel baby N (passed 10/09 at 1 day old) & newbie C, 12/10
Old 02-22-2005, 07:03 PM

Holy cow, lookit the new smilies!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sept04mama
I used a stroller at the museum yesterday. :
Don't even hide for using a stroller! There is absolutely nothing wrong with using a stroller! Tristan will frequently get fed up with being carried and *need* to be physically by himself to stay calm. We have *two* strollers - a fold-up one and a jogging - and I wouldn't trade either of them for anything. So there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sept04mama
So is anyone else's baby sitting up but not rolling over?
yup yup, T can sit unassisted and play for a while, but he hasn't figured out rolling over - although he's getting closer. He can roll his top half over and prefers to sleep with his top half rolled to the left while his butt and legs are flat. I can see my chiropractor wincing.

Jo has hiked over to our doula's house with T in the Björn to pick up some of her "boobie tea", as she calls it - an anti-inflammatory herbal concoction that helps with mastitis. I'm happy to say the fever and headache are all gone, but boy oh boy, is my breast red. What's best: I told Jo she could leave Tristan, but she asked "has Beth seen him lately?" and when I said no, she said, "well, then he should go!". Yippee! I hope Beth is excited to see him I'm sure he recognizes her voice from her being around so much in the weeks before he was born.

OK, gotta call my mom back. One more bit of ammunition for her to try to convince me that this nursing thing is unwarranted.

Old 02-22-2005, 07:04 PM

Kinsey - maybe pick up some cheap fabric and try a front cross carry? Be sure to click through to here to see her putting the baby in. Lu LOVES being carried like this.

Also, I wouldn't worry about the not rolling. Both of my babies hated rolling and rarely ever did it.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:07 PM

Link in sig!

bottom 1/2 of page 14: wearing new sweater for the first time (adorable navy blue with cable knits, yay eBay! 99 cents!); peaceable kitties, the super-cute red overalls from the Hanna outlet for $5, the crazy toy he picked out for himself (sitting in blue armchair),goofy pics with mama... page 15: flirting with himself in the overstim-gym mirror and can you tell he's trying to roll?!! :LOL and some changing table antics.

We both love the expression on the last pic of page 14 but are going to have to photoshop out that red-eye; iPhoto wouldn't even clear it. Don't like the red-eye fixer in the new version! Want the old one back!!! :

j

oh... and Sydney in the sock drawer!!

Old 02-22-2005, 11:47 PM

Jen I have dealt with two bouts of mastitis so far since David was born. Thankfully I haven't dealt with thrush yet.

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
Old 02-22-2005, 11:50 PM

Jen I love the pictures! He makes David look thin. David is a "skinny minnie".

Old 02-23-2005, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjohnson
Jen I love the pictures! He makes David look thin. David is a "skinny minnie".
And if you look at the ones of Oscar and Tristan - Oz makes T look absolutely lithe! Oscar is ... well, he's dense! :LOL but so nice to hold, because he's not nearly as wiggly as Tristan is!!

Old 02-23-2005, 12:12 AM

Jen, just noticed the sleep sequence photos on page 9 in your link pics :LOL
Those are the best! Where did you get Tristan's playmat thing? I can't seem to find any w/ a mirror, and he really loves them.

I use my jogging stroller like it's going out of style.. I love it now that Bryn is to big to wear in front. We also used our jogger for Aidan, and I love my stroller for two reasons; they pass right out , and you can carry everything in/ on them.

My mother just left to go back to AK and I miss the help . It was really nice to have someone else make the meals, do the dishes, hold the baby. It might be a good thing she left because I was So taking advantage of her

My brother just E-mailed and he might be coming back home in March. I'm trying to find him a house in our nieghborhood to make up for the distance the last 4 1/2 years thanks to the shrub in the big house .

Anyway, hope you mommas are doing well and your babies too

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
Old 02-23-2005, 12:36 AM

bendmom the ones of jo and t on the leather couch?! Those crack me up. We got the "overstim gym" from my doula because her 1-year-old had outgrown it, but I've seen them at Target. I cannot. believe. the. price. !!! Glad we got it for free. May want to check e-bay...

May your brother come home safely!! That's great news, I will cross my fingers that it comes true!!!

gotta put T-man to bed...

j

Old 02-23-2005, 12:57 AM

Time to put myself to bed!

Old 02-23-2005, 01:13 PM

Jen--Keep getting better! And such cute new photos of T in his new duds! He looks great in red.

Savannah--I do actually did try that with the HH tabs, but I think the leg elastic might be stretched out a bit. I got them from the trading post, and they're pretty well used. I think they also just run really large. I think the legs and waist on the smalls could last for several more months, but she might outgrow the rise fairly quickly.

They called from the "other guy's" car insurance yesterday, and they are going to declare it a total loss. It'll be a few days before we hear what they'll give us for the car. It has a damaged rear door from when I pulled out of the garage with it open and hit dh's out-of-commission van, so that will count against us. Meanwhile, I'm being very spoiled by the rental minivan!

Gotta go throw in some laundry. I finally got somewhat caught up last week, and our bedroom closet floor actually reappeared again!

Have a happy day, mamas and babes!

Heather, Mama to DS(10) DD(7.5),DD(6)
Old 02-23-2005, 01:36 PM

(On a side note- Found this website: http://www.fabriclink.com/caresymbols.html
I always wondered what the wash symbols meant, and now I know! )

Not having a good week - I am having major supply issues. There's hardly any milk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I only had 16 oz of frozen bm. I would try to nurse ds - he would pull of crying really hard. Until I gave him a bottle, he would not settle down. He chugged down 4 oz real quick. We have been giving him some solids, hoping to keep him from getting to hungry. I am pumping, trying to have him nurse often and drinking Nettle tea. I don't know what to do. It's like all of a sudden my breasts are soft and small. I can't figure it out. I think I'm going to call my LLL leader. I don't know if he's going through a growth spurt. But it's been almost 5 days. In the past his growth spurts would take 2 - 3 days and my body would adjust to the new demands. It's like my body's not responding.

Christine - mama to my 4 boys
Old 02-23-2005, 01:43 PM

Ok, a couple of week's ago I read somewhere on here that a Mama's dc hadn't rolled over- she suspected because she never put the child down. :LOL

Well, I started thinking about that...and it was true for Kate and me also, so I put her on a blanket and went into the kitchen (I can still see the den) and she rolled over! So, I thought, "Wow! I need to give her more time for free play."

Also, I had started to notice that she required my entertainment all day long and I thought that letting her have some free time, supervised of course, would encourage her creativity and blah blah blah.

So for the last few weeks, I feel like I've been sliding down a slippery slope and I didn't realize it until last night. I started thinking, and I think I've gone from too much interaction to not nearly enough. I've been so tired that at least 3 times a day I've been putting her in the swing, the exersaucer, or on the floor to play alone. And though I'm always talking to her, I've been doing things like cooking and housework instead of playing with her. :

And now I just feel like a neglectful rotten Mama because I relaized that she really hasn't done anything "new" developmentally since she rolled over, and maybe I'm not stimulating her enough. : : :

There's so much guilt that goes with mothering, sometimes it's juts overwhelming. I'm just having one of those guilt ridden mornings where I feel like the worst, laziest Mama in the world, and I was just wondering if any of who ever feel that way..and how you pull yourself out of the self-pitying slump...
Old 02-23-2005, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Bear
(On a side note- Found this website: http://www.fabriclink.com/caresymbols.html
I always wondered what the wash symbols meant, and now I know! )

Not having a good week - I am having major supply issues. There's hardly any milk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I only had 16 oz of frozen bm. I would try to nurse ds - he would pull of crying really hard. Until I gave him a bottle, he would not settle down. He chugged down 4 oz real quick. We have been giving him some solids, hoping to keep him from getting to hungry. I am pumping, trying to have him nurse often and drinking Nettle tea. I don't know what to do. It's like all of a sudden my breasts are soft and small. I can't figure it out. I think I'm going to call my LLL leader. I don't know if he's going through a growth spurt. But it's been almost 5 days. In the past his growth spurts would take 2 - 3 days and my body would adjust to the new demands. It's like my body's not responding.
I was having the same issues last week, and it's hard not to panic. Mine turned out to be because of AF..and about 6 days later (2 days after I started my period) my supply just went back to normal...Kate was also pulling off and crying because my let down was so slow. One thing that I got from kellymom.com was to pump until let down and then bf. That seemed to help a little. Also, to pump one side while nursing on the other. HTH.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:00 PM

Stacey - Drop the guilt, mama, drop it now!!!!! :cop:

I've always felt that babies should be in the center of attention, not the center of attention. As long as you keep her near you (have you tried some back carry baby wearing?) I think it is great for babies to see people go about their day, that's how they learn!

Plus I'm part of the camp that doesn't really think babies need purposeful stimulation, per say. Most environments are stimulating enough!

I'm sure Jen can add something waldorfy in here!

User Tag List