September 2004 Mamas February Thread - Page 19 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#541 of 564 Old 02-28-2005, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When flying by myself with both kiddos, I use a wrap to get through security (no metal). They haven't made me take it off and my plan if they tried to get me to is to simply pull up my shirt underneath and tell them that it is part of my garment. :LOL
#542 of 564 Old 02-28-2005, 12:25 PM

OMG Savannah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was too much!!!
: : : :

Christine - mama to my 4 boys
#543 of 564 Old 02-28-2005, 12:36 PM

That is very annoying about the slings. I can't believe that the airline needs an ID for a 6 week old to let them know thet they're under 2!

Jen I hope that you get much needed sleep.
#544 of 564 Old 02-28-2005, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi, all... I haven't got much time but need to weigh in on the babies on airplanes/in slings thing. I, too, thought it was terribly stupid to have rules about such things. BUT - there really is a reason for it. (The horrendously stupid thing is that all babies are not required to be in carseats on planes!)

In a car, you've got a 3-point belt on, which holds your upper body in place. In a plane - a lap belt only. This serves ONLY to hold you *down*, for such things like turbulence which is generally an up-down motion. However, for a sudden stop (crash or otherwise), you're likely to go *forward*. Your upper body is NOT restrained on an airplane - and no, you can't hold yourself back during crash or sudden stop forces. The crash dynamics include you moving forward into the seat in front of you (if a crash is imminent or a sudden stop expected, they'll tell you to put your hands/head on the seat in front of you to minimize how much you'll move and therefore injury). If you have a baby between you and the seat, they WILL be crushed. It's a "baby airbag" scenario, and it's happened numerous times. It is, infact, safer for baby to be between your feet (where they would instruct you to place them in case of a problem) than to be in your arms or strapped to your body.

So - spend an extra $100 or $150 and buy your baby a seat on the plane! It is infinitely safer - not to mention the ease of having a little extra space.

Okay, off my .

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#545 of 564 Old 02-28-2005, 01:24 PM

I wasn't able too get the movie to load but I heard the introduction about the "retarded" songs and frankly, I don't mind. one of these days parents are going to stop perpetuating the use of "retarded" to mean dumb, dorky or ridiculous and teach their kids a little respect for all people, regardless of their abilities. I'm looking forward to the day when kids don't even know that usage of the word... and don't get me started on the use of "gay" to mean "stupid".

Savannah - I think I have pretty reasonable expectations - I don't want to get up before it is starting to dawn. It is still dark at 5 AM. When it's dark, we sleep. Besides, I had just been up with him from 2-3. I know this will get me in trouble if I ever take him with me up to German camp, where it starts to get light around 4 AM in the summer, but for now, 6 would be fine! Just not 5!!!

OK, T is starting to get a little crispy. Time for a nap, I think.

j

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#546 of 564 Old 02-28-2005, 04:24 PM

I forgot who had asked about babes taking late evening naps - ds usually takes a nap in the late morning another in the afternoon (right now actually) and then another in the evening. When I put him down in the evening, I usually hope he'll stay asleep for the night - but he almost always wakes up again to nurse around 9 or 10, then he goes down for the night (he will usually wake up once or twice to nurse during the night).
I also wanted to mentioned to Jen - I almost always put ds down for nap or bedtime while he's still awake, but showing signs of needed to sleep. If I put him down while he's on the brink of falling asleep all hell breaks loose. I have been reading the NCSS and was trying to follow it when my milk supply issue started, so I have since stopped doing the NCSS and just trying to read his signs. There are some mornings when 6am is his time to wake up and he will whine, fuss, grab my face until I get up with him - so I completely understand your frustration.

#547 of 564 Old 02-28-2005, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Bear
There are some mornings when 6am is his time to wake up and he will whine, fuss, grab my face until I get up with him -
Tristan will pat me, especially if I have my back turned toward him. Pat. Pat pat. Pat pat pat. Poke. Nudge. As if to say "mom. c'mon, mom. MOM! It's time to get up! Mooooooooooooooom!"

Sometimes if I have my back to him all he wants is for me to turn and face him and then he goes back to sleep! Hmph!!

j

#548 of 564 Old 02-28-2005, 05:03 PM

When Aidan was 2 we came into some money to go on a trip. Hans said we could go any where in the U.S., but not anywhere I have been . I suggested Vermont because I could go antiquing & snowboarding, and Hans used to live there so he would know the cheap places to stay and good places to go. The airlines wouldn't let Aidan ride on our lap because he was a few mo. over 2. We couldn't afford the extra seat We ended up driving like 14 hours to Mammoth which convieniently Hans got to compete in Nationals because we "happened" to be there at the same time, even though it was his suggestion. Now with Bryn I don't want to fly. Just to much effort.

Bryn woke up last night/morning(?) and I just let him goof around in bed, then when he got upset I patted his back and offered the boob, and he fussed for a bit and then fell asleep. I just get to exhausted getting up in the middle of the night to bounce, only to get up a few hours later : . It made Aidan mad, but I didn't really let him CIO, so I think it was okay . I don't know, I just think that at this point maybe he could *learn : * to get back to sleep while still in bed. He seemed to do okay, no real crying or anything. I think it has to do with his temperment too. I could have never have done that to Aidan, as he would have cried for 4 hrs., puked, then cry 4 hrs. more .

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
#549 of 564 Old 02-28-2005, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenInMpls
Tristan will pat me, especially if I have my back turned toward him. Pat. Pat pat. Pat pat pat. Poke. Nudge. As if to say "mom. c'mon, mom. MOM! It's time to get up! Mooooooooooooooom!"

Sometimes if I have my back to him all he wants is for me to turn and face him and then he goes back to sleep! Hmph!!

j
What a cute description! Made me smile. It must be the age... Bendmom mentioning Bryn messing around in bed and a little fussy in the middle of the night... William's been doing it too. Just when I think I'm going to have to figure out something else to do to get him to GO BACK TO SLEEP, I'll notice I've fallen asleep during the little fusses, and woke up to a sleeping baby.
#550 of 564 Old 02-28-2005, 06:24 PM

Makynzi wakes me up by pulling my hair! I dont know what i'm gonna do with her. She pulls everybody's hair but especially mine. My hair comes down past my shoulders and rests on the upper part of my breasts. When she is nursing she will grab a fistful of hair instead of my breasts. I dont know its a comfort thing I think. All I know is it hurts and waking up to a baby with 2 fistfuls of hair isnt pleasant. Maybe I should cut it but man it took 2 years to grow this long. FeministFatale had suggested touching the back of her hand and saying no pull. Well it doesnt even phase Makynzi. The only way to get her hand out is to literally pry it open.

Makynzi fell off the couch about 45 minutes ago. She had been happily playing on the floor and I picked her up to sweep. Well, before I knew what was happening there was a big thud and Makynzi was on the floor. I figured she would be safe since I was right there with her. The weird thing is I had just gotten off the phone with my mom and we had been talking about how Makynzi hadnt rolled off the bed or couch yet. And I had just made the comment I think it happens to all kids. I still feel guilty but at least I didnt freak out like I did the first time Madyson did it. She cried for just a minute and was fine. She had a pretty big red spot above her left eyebrow but it seems to be fading. Hopefully it wont bruise. I know that hardwood floor had to hurt. She played on the floor for a while and now about an hour later she is falling asleep. I shouldnt be too worried should I?
#551 of 564 Old 02-28-2005, 06:35 PM

I've been told that if you fall, don't go to sleep for atleast an hour. I guess that way you know the person is okay and isn't going to be unconsicous or something. Could be an old wives tale, or not, I have no clue. When DS rolled/fell off the Aero bed the other week, we kept him up for an hour before putting him down for a nap. We have carpet and he didn't get a bump - I would just keep an eye on her - I am sure she's fine though. Babies are tougher than we think.

#552 of 564 Old 02-28-2005, 06:53 PM

mandy I'm betting she'll be fine, a little of hyland's bumps and bruises arnica cream would take care of the bruise, although by the time you read this it may be a little too late babies seem to heal so quickly, though...

bendmom sounds like you and adventuregirl (another sept mama) should get together - she's a snowboarder too! Sheryl, are you still reading? We miss you...

T and I had a nice nap! I was rocking him to sleep and falling asleep myself so I said what the heck... I just could always sleep longer than he wants to! One of these days, though, I will get all the sleep I need and he'll still be asleep when I wake up, right? (Yah when he's 15 or so!! :LOL)

#553 of 564 Old 02-28-2005, 06:54 PM

Thanks for the advice!Never mind on the nap thing. That was an extremely short-lived nap . Somewhere between 10-15 minutes. LOL And the red is down to one tiny place right on her eyebrow.
#554 of 564 Old 02-28-2005, 09:01 PM

Omgoodness where does the time go? Our computer has been down for a couple of days. It is an antique as far as computers go :LOL I am just glad to have one.
Thank you to everyone for the "welcomes" I love having nine kids, but I should first say that five of them are teenagers already! And I am not that old, well I don't feel that old anyway! Thankfully they don't all come at once (for most of us!) Just having two six month olds in the house is probably harder than when I had three kids, 3 and under! These babies kick my butt most days.....it can get really busy.

-Savannah...E.J., our foster baby has Torticollis, and I also take him to rehab two times a month and someone comes to our home one time a month to work with him. He has some trouble with tummy time, but other than that is doing much better. It was hard in the beginning to get two babies to rehab and occupy one for an hour. For us it is an hour drive one way as well. I am glad that they are getting older now and like riding in the car much better!
And no, he is our only foster child at this point. We are considering two others though, that need a home badly.

I am curious about everyone's bedtime routines? Do you all pretty much put your babies to bed at the same time? Do you have a routine?
#555 of 564 Old 03-01-2005, 12:48 AM

New photos! Page 15, bottom and page 16: antics with the big green turtle and yummy blocks in the big boy chair.

Time for bed!

j

#556 of 564 Old 03-01-2005, 12:55 AM

Jen - that T is one yummy baby!!! He and Lu look a lot alike to me somehow. I think it is the big blue eyes and the way their ears turn out a little at the top. My grandma is always all over me to "watch out for her ears" so they don't turn out, but I don't really know what she means! I actually love that little turn out. He is really looking a lot like you lately.

Julie - Lu is asleep most nights by 8:00. I don't really do any routines or anything right now. I'd rather wait until she is about 10 months or so, and then start with those. Right now she falls asleep so easy with just nursing, that I'll wait until it starts to annoy me before I get her doing something else.
#557 of 564 Old 03-01-2005, 01:02 AM

Routine? What is that?

We have no routine and that's how it has always been. There are times when we need to go to sleep early, or something like that, but we're not much for the dinner, bath, book, whatever. Most times Aidan falls asleep on teh couch, since he sleeps in our room and we don't go to bed until 10:30 or later(unless we have something planned early next morn.) Maybe it's just lazyness , but it seems to work pretty well. Bryn sleeps (for the most part)on our sleep schedual as well, so I don't feel obligated to get him down by some magic time that all kids should be in bed by.

I'm with you Jen, where have all the mommies gone ? I've only been here a month and half the moms are gone. But I see alot of moms w/ babies born in Sept. on their sig. lines in other places. It could be that it's just to much keeping up with this incredibly fast thread :LOL
I have five books now that are waiting to opened, but I find myself drawn to the computer instead.

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
#558 of 564 Old 03-01-2005, 01:08 AM

oh, bedtime routine: between 7:45 - 8 we start our bedtime routine. have some naked time (sometimes baby massage but usually that wakes him up) before putting on a nice thick fuzzi bunz, put on pjs, read a couple of books and nurse to sleep.

If we're running late T lets us know. Pteradactyl boy!! (insert prehistoric sounding crowing noise here)

#559 of 564 Old 03-01-2005, 01:13 AM

LaRue's ears turn out at the top a little too, I absolutely love it! I think it looks so cute.
#560 of 564 Old 03-01-2005, 01:22 AM

Jen - too cute!!! I especially love the last one of him on the turtle - those dimples!!!
Oh, and ds ears turn out too. :LOL
I'd better not push my luck - time to make my way towards the bed.
Only a few more days until ds is 6 months!!!!!!

#561 of 564 Old 03-01-2005, 02:18 AM

Jen T is so cute! I love the turtle. He looks very happy.

I'm starting a sleep log today. I'll see how it works out.
#562 of 564 Old 03-01-2005, 02:59 AM

Punkymonkeymom -- sorry my tip didn't work out, sometimes I have to pry LaRue's hand open, though most of the time just touching the back of her hand gets her to open it. Can you pull your hair back with an elastic band? She wouldn't have such easy access to your hair if it's all pulled back and you won't have to cut it. When my hair was falling out a lot I even slept with my hair pulled back in a low messy bun so that my hair didn't get everywhere.
#563 of 564 Old 03-01-2005, 03:01 AM

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? How do I quote someone? I hit quote, and high light that area, but it doesn't turn out right.

Good night mommas

#564 of 564 Old 03-01-2005, 10:51 AM

I started the March thread:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...18#post2754718

Mama to ds 11, ds 7, dd 5, dd 2, and dd born on 6/17/12!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page