September 2004 Mamas February Thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-08-2005, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leomom
She still is way too wobbly to sit up though....

And has no interest in her feet....

Jackson is too fat to sit up OR reach his feet!!

~C~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2005, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucysmom

Llyra, I recognize you from another board, one where you are the minority voice against CIO etc. ... funny, I thought you should be on MDC, and here you are. I saw your daughter in an "anarchy" t-shirt on the other board & was sad that I could not upload my picture of Lucy in her "Anarchy in the Pre-K" onesie.
Oh, hi! I get more comments about Julia's t-shirts! Yeah, I like to think of the handful of AP mamas over there as the voice crying out in the wilderness "don't do it!" Not that anyone listens, of course, which saddens me. Poor babies...

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Old 02-08-2005, 02:35 PM

Listen Julia's just about busting out of her Bummis trying to reach the keyboard , so i'm gonna let her send you all a little message:

jiulo08 /'- dhghghgh vhcfv jbblllll c a1Z KJH/WCV / KNY7F hhgbhhhfhhhhvnvvnbbhhhgggfggc kynnnnn

okay we're going now!

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Old 02-08-2005, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leomom
And has no interest in her feet....
Aidan discovered his feet this week during a diaper change. I was actually a little worried that he wouldn't because he discovered his aah... cough, cough... umm "popo" the week before. When Jack found "his" at about 4 months... all interest in feet and crawling... ceased. Guess he was like "who needs feet when I've got this instead". Aah boys and their "packages".

Jack didn't crawl for a long time, he preferred to "roll" everywhere. My little steamroller. Even when he did finally start crawling some (at about 9 months) he still did the commando crawl for a long time. He didn't start walking until almost 14 months (he took 3 steps on his birthday over to me, laided his head on my knee said "Mommy" and patted my knee... then didn't walk again for almost 2 months and didn't call me Mommy again for almost 10 months!! . He would totally freestand on his own at 10 months but wouldn't walk. Totally different than Tori who on the otherhand was crawling at 4 months and WALKING at 10 months and full on running at 11 months. They are so funny how differently they each develop.

Chrissy-
I forgot to post about the woman asking if you were expecting again. I totally feel for you. I still look like I'm 5+ month pregnant. Doesn't help that hardly any of my non-maternity clothes fit either. I think most people are smart enough to not open their mouths and stick their foot in right now. :LOL Of course the fact that I've eaten at least 5 Krispy Kreme donuts in the last 24 hours doesn't help either.

Jen-
Glad to hear the results are negative.

HeatherB-
I've reinstituted manditory naps in this household. Even if Tori doesn't actually go to sleep (though she really needs to!) she has stay in her bed and quietly read or play with her babydoll while Jack and Aidan take a nap. Sometimes I've been able to get both Jack and Aidan to sleep at the same time for longer than 30 mintues and I get a nap too!!

Happy Fat Tuesday!!
We had Popeye's chicken last night. Too kind of "celebrate". I was going to make red beans and rice but forgot to get any andouille sausage. Maybe I'll make Chicken Etoufee tonight... I loved the food when I lived in New Orleans.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:39 PM

Caroline - you are so AP, mama, its all about responding to babies' needs!!!

I've got to find those "anarchy in the pre-k" shirts. Would I have the nerve to send Jack to his little school in one? Not sure yet!!!

Lucy is a teething demon. She is soooooo miserable, I'm actually dosing her up with Motrin, hoping that will help. The hylands just aren't cutting it. I wish these things would come through!

Jack had his MMR last week, and of course now has the fever. He is a sad little thing. We made valentines for his friends today and, on his own, he said, "I want to make one for you to take to work, Mommy!" What a sweetheart!
Old 02-08-2005, 05:50 PM

This week started out pretty good yesterday, but today I'm feeling the stress. Work piled up a mile high. Jackson is refusing to nap langer than 10 minutes at a time and is having a spit-up day. Alex is starved for attention. And dh was diagnosed with moderate depression today and put on Lexapro.

Any suggestions about dealing with depression in a spouse?

Pam

Mama to ds 11, ds 7, dd 5, dd 2, and dd born on 6/17/12!

Old 02-08-2005, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaAcorn

Any suggestions about dealing with depression in a spouse?

Pam
I'd love some, too, if anyone has been through it.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:50 PM

Oh man....

We found a Westfalia up in Seattle at a dealership. We paid a guy to go check it out(compression, timing, rust, etc.)and he said it was perfect and we shouldn't pass it up. I paid the dealer over the phone w/ my check card. We drove 8 hours up to the dealership and found the van to be a total piece of crap rust bucket. We then had to fight the dealer to get our money back . Then drive 8 hours back over the Mount Hood pass with a bored 5yr old and screaming 5mnth old .

My milk came in almost every hour, but I could only feed him about every 3, because the weather was not great and we wanted to get home at a reasonable time. So today I tried to pump because I needed to leave for a few hours, and I couldn't get anything all the way up to 11:30. I didn't really feel anything until about 3. Can my milk production be affected this fast?

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
Old 02-08-2005, 11:57 PM

Hi there everyone!

Boy oh boy is it hard to get caught up! We have GOT to get internet connection at home again! Hi to all the new mamas, I used to post about 15 times a day, but moved into a drafty old barn of a farmhouse in northern wisconsin... no internet!

Anyway, it's been nice reading about all the rolling, sitting, head whacking and spitting up going on with all those little cuties! Mielle is getting stronger and more coordinated every day. It is amazing to watch her doing little push-ups and "baby crunches" she's so strong! She was almost crawling today, more like scooting, but she did move forward about a foot!!!! She's still really bald but has the most gorgeous smokey blue eyes! I get so many compliments on our little beauty. She remains very slender, grows out of her onsies in the inseam, long before she fills out the tummy. Such a pretty girl!

I don't have any current photos to share, we haven't gotten any film developed in about a month. 6 rolls ready and waiting, but we are too broke to get them developed! Oh well, one of these days we'll get a digital camera and things will be simpler! I wish I could post a current photo of us, cause I am currently sporting short spiky bright purple hair. Yes, purple. I wanted to remind myself that I am still hip and cool..... besides I don't have a job to go to, so why not? It looks pretty cool. And I feel about 5 years younger!

Simeone mentioned babies taking interest in their feet... well Mielle has been seen putting them in her mouth!! And it was just a few weeks ago that she took a sudden interest in her "Yoni". When ever her diapers off her hands just fly down there! She actually slaps herself in her enthusiasm.... a real pain with poopey diapers!!! It's pretty funny, I don't want to discourage her, it is her body after all, but jeez she sure isnt very gentle, silly chicken!

Caroline- I have been thinking of you and hoping you find healing and peace. it seems like life keeps handing you alot of challenges.

adventuregirl- glad to hear you are well and busy as always!!!

sistermama- That Jack is a real riot! Sounds like an anarchy tee would suit him admirably. Wasn't he the one who was mimicking you barfing in the toilet in the first tri??? He sure cracks me up!

chrissy- People suck! I can't believe she asked you that! How stupid can you get anyway???

Jen- glad to hear the results are not bad news... I remember waiting to get some info on my rotten rash a few months ago... boy did that suck! Hope Tristan is feeling better, give him a hug from me!!!

Well I wish I had time to respond to all the things and people individually, but I have got stuff to do. I'm in town visiting a friend and we are gonna go out to eat at Red Lobster! yum yum.

I miss you all and am sending you warm thoughts.
kisses

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
Old 02-09-2005, 01:50 AM

llyra~ Desi likes to type when I'm at the computer too. Its so cute.

Hi Anna~ I'm glad to see you posting again. I have a long skinny baby too. We call her our bananna baby or Skinny Minnie.

Desi is sitting up for longer now. She just found her toes. Its so cute. She still hasn't rolled from back to tummy. And rarely does she roll over tummy to back.
As for nursing. Ther girl won't nurse sometimes! I have to position just right. Today she wanted to do it upside down. I'll post a pic later. She wanted to lay on my legs, heads towrd my feed and have me lean over her. Silly girl.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2tori
...he discovered his aah... cough, cough... umm "popo" the week before
Popo in German = butt! :LOL
Quote:
Happy Fat Tuesday!!
We had Popeye's chicken last night. To kind of "celebrate".
I love Popeye's chicken! There is one Popeye's in Minnesota and blissfully it is about a mile away. Unfortunately it reminds me a lot of my dad's final stages of cancer because I always used to buy it for him then, the taste of it made him happy. Sigh. I miss my papa, but I miss him more for Tristan, because he would have been a swell grandpa...

I bought 2 doughnuts and took them to my mom's to celebrate Fat Tuesday. Tristan was a great baby and did all of the typical things that my mom never really believes me about - taking 1/2 hour to fall asleep, etc. Now she believes me and he took a nearly 3-hour long nap on her couch. That made me happy. Let's hope he has a good night's sleep and doesn't wake up at 6 again.

OH!

At 7 this morning I went into the bedroom and begged Jo to get up with him so I could get an hour's nap before she went to work. She got up with him, managed to get him back to sleep, and put him back into bed with me and we both slept until...

get ready for this...

11 o'clock!!!!!

yeah!

I'm gonna brusha my toofies and go to bed so that I can get some sleep while he does in case he wakes up early again, but I whispered in his ear that he should sleep until at least 3, if not 4.

j

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
Old 02-09-2005, 01:56 AM

LOL about the babies discovering themselves. Desi has too.
Jen~ Get some sleep.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendmom
Oh man....

We found a Westfalia up in Seattle at a dealership. We paid a guy to go check it out(compression, timing, rust, etc.)and he said it was perfect and we shouldn't pass it up. I paid the dealer over the phone w/ my check card. We drove 8 hours up to the dealership and found the van to be a total piece of crap rust bucket. We then had to fight the dealer to get our money back . Then drive 8 hours back over the Mount Hood pass with a bored 5yr old and screaming 5mnth old .

My milk came in almost every hour, but I could only feed him about every 3, because the weather was not great and we wanted to get home at a reasonable time. So today I tried to pump because I needed to leave for a few hours, and I couldn't get anything all the way up to 11:30. I didn't really feel anything until about 3. Can my milk production be affected this fast?
Sorry...I don't have any experience with this...but when I feel like my milk supply is low, I try to get Kate to nurse all the time, drink raspberry tea, lots of water, and rest. And eat.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:10 AM

Stacey~ Me too! I've been eating oatmeal, taking fenu greek, drinking mother's tea. getting her to nurse or try to. She is just so easily distracted! I just started pumping more often. I've been pumping before a feeding so she can get the hindmilk and after so I can my supply up.

Bendmom~ I don't think your milk supply will be affected. Usually its supply and demand. So you can get it back to where it is.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendmom
Oh man....

Yeah, the stress could screw it up too....just all that traveling would do it for me. Eat lots of oatmeal for breakfast and drink....it should come back up!!

~C~

ETA: Cynthia, we cross posted..sorry....
Old 02-09-2005, 02:13 AM

Anna, thanks. You know, I feel so lucky to have these kids and be able to be a SAHM...I don't think things are really all that difficult. Just life stuff! Goes with the terratory. I am blessed my challenges are so simple....

I hope you are settling in better...how is the renovations going?

~C~
Old 02-09-2005, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter

Alex found his feet during a diaper change last week also. Now he keeps grabbing them when he's on the table, so it makes it hard to change him 'cause I have to wait till he's done before I can get the diaper on or off! Little stinker!

We had a happy Fat Tuesday. We had our priest over for dinner and I made a feast: blue crab & artichoke dip with crackers and beers for an appetizer, then garlic-rosemary rack of lamb for dinner with cheesy potatoes, and asparagus, and pinot noir to drink. For dessert I made some homemade pistachio ice cream that I served over fresh poached white peaches. It was delish!

I have a couple new cute pics of Alex I will post tomorrow - right now I'm off to bed cause I'm beat from all that slavin' in the kitchen.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenInMpls
Popo in German = butt! :LOL
: : Too funny. I told David this and he was like huh! He'd never heard it called that in German. But then, his German is a little bit rusty. :LOL

No it definitely wasn't Aidan "butt" that he found. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenInMpls
I love Popeye's chicken! There is one Popeye's in Minnesota and blissfully it is about a mile away. Unfortunately it reminds me a lot of my dad's final stages of cancer because I always used to buy it for him then, the taste of it made him happy. Sigh. I miss my papa, but I miss him more for Tristan, because he would have been a swell grandpa...
I hear ya. I miss my Daddy too. His favorite was Enchiritos from Taco Bell. I'd pick them up on the way over to stay with him after his chemo treatments. Those and Keebler Pecan Sandies always remind me of my dad. He would have been an awesome grandpa. Everybody loved my dad. Jack has my Daddy's laugh, its bittersweet sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyL
blue crab & artichoke dip with crackers
That meal sounds soo ! Okay I want this recipe!
Old 02-09-2005, 11:26 AM

stacy, that sounds wonderful!

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
Old 02-09-2005, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2tori
I told David this and he was like huh! He'd never heard it called that in German.
Well, it's little kid German. That is what you'd call it to a little one - when you're older, you drop a syllable and it's just a Po. Of course, as in English, there are many other terms for it...but not wanting to get in trouble for inappropriate language, I won't list them here
Quote:
I'd pick them up on the way over to stay with him after his chemo treatments.
Good daughter. That's when I brought over Popeye's. Those days after chemo were like walking through the valley of the shadow of death. BLEAH. Those of you mamas whose kids still have lovin' grandpas, please be thankful! Tristan doesn't have a grandpa and we are both very sad about it for him. Nor can we find an older man who would be a suitable Ersatz-grandpa. My mom's boyfriend-of-sorts just overstimulates him and makes him cry, and the way he spoils his granddaughter makes me unsure of whether we'd even want him as a grandpa-type for T.

OK, that was kind of tangential. Sorry!

Any of you mamas who have pets, how are your sept babes reacting? Tristan is so into the cats right now! He watches them wherever they go and reaches out toward them. They of course walk by right out of his reach. When I help him, they let him pet them and I'm amazed, but he never grabs a fistful of fur and he's getting the hang of the motion of petting. It usually means, though, that his sticky hand gets a layer of fur attached to it, and then the fur goes straight into his mouth... I swear, one of these days he's going to cough up a hairball.

I had a dream that I dropped Tristan on his head and had brought all of the homeopathic meds along except for the arnica, which I had left at home. I think next time I am at the co-op I will be buying some little brown glass pill bottles and keeping a supply in my diaper bag!

T was up this morning at 6:45, I suppose that's better than 6, huh?

Off to go find coffee with little man in tow. My mom was so stunned at how he could drink from a glass with assistance. Of course it gave her an opening to tell me how I should be feeding him solids because they'd help him sleep through the night. and now she doesn't care if I say that our dr said not to, she just said "I'm not sure if your doctor knows what she's talking about!". Ah, grandmothers.

j

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
Old 02-09-2005, 04:07 PM

Jen - your mom cracks me up! About the cats, Jack loved our cats when he was little and it was so neat because they obviously knew that he was a baby and not to be taken too seriously! He was usually pretty gentle with them, but if he got too rough, they would just cuff him upside the head with a "closed" paw (ie no claws). So really, they taught him how to treat them!

I'm off to NY again tomorrow, so I'll "talk" to you mamas later!
Old 02-09-2005, 04:24 PM

I know exactly what you mean about no grandpa. David's dad well let's just say good thing he isn't a violent man and they'd already caught Ted Kaczynski or I'd swear he was the Unabomber. He's got that kind of paranoid anti-social anti-government off the wall genius kind of mind. The last time we saw him was 4 days after Tori was born... and he lives only an hour away from us. We only know a general location, no address or phone number. And my MIL now soon to be ex-husband... well you get the picture. She's really got really bad taste in men. And my mom... she's got her dogs... Don't even get me started on the married man she was involved with until recently for the past 12 years off and on. Let's just say, he wasn't married when they first got involved years ago... and this is the second wife he's had since then. No good candidates here either.

And about the cats. Yep Aidan has noticed our cats too. And the furry fist. : Luckily the cats are use to babies now. Bot-bot the big white alpha-male is the best with them. He just lays there while they pet and lay on him. When he's tired of it... he just gets up and leaves. NEVER scratches or hisses. He's a really good cat. He's my big fat cat pelt cat kind of cat. :LOL :LOL

Well Aidan's awake now. And the other two want lunch. So demanding.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:26 PM

Oh, Julia is downright obssessed (sp?) with my cats. I have three. She watches every move they make, and reaches out and tries to grab them. She squeals and kicks whenever they do ANYTHING, and I think they're going to be her number 1 incentive to learn to crawl early.

Luckily, one cat, my older female cat) is very steady and patient and will actually sit still and let Julia "pet" her, and grab her ears, and pull her tail, and rake her fur. Julia loves it! The other two keep their distance, though.

Old 02-09-2005, 04:34 PM

to all those dealing with illnesses (family members, babes, self, etc) Stay strong!

Random cute story - The other week, we went to a new dr (naturopath/homeopathic) and while I was being seen, dh watched ds in the waiting room. When I came out to the waiting room, I see dh has ds in the Maya Wrap sling. It was so sweet! When I wanted to buy the Maya, dh was a little weary of it and thought it would be a waste of money. I had only once showed him how to use it. I couldn't believe he remembered how to put it on - and he actually did a really good job and ds was just as happy as could be slinging with his daddy. Now, he thinks its the greatest thing b/c he can hold ds without killing his back.
Just wanted to share the story. I know we all got on a complaining about dh thing, but just when I get annoyed or upset, he does something sweet like that and I get over it. I know that I have my days too when dh gets annoyed with me :

Alrighty then, need to shower while little man is napping.

ETA: We don't have any pets, but my MIL has 2 mini-schunazers (sp?) and we saw them at Thanskgiving. They were SO curious about the little babe. Any time ds made a noise, they would bark. Oddly, ds wasn't phased by the noise. He would just stare at them. I think he thought they were oversized toys or something. :LOL Maybe when we get a house, we'll considered getting a pet...

Christine - mama to my 4 boys
Old 02-09-2005, 05:13 PM

Chrissy - I think the lady probably felt worse than you once she found out you're not pregnant! People really don't think before they open their mouths!!!

Something sorta similar happened to me the other week. I went to an orthodontist b/c I still have a permanent retainer bonded on the back of my teeth from treatment I had years ago in FL, and wanted to find someone local to remove it. Anyways - when I went in to see the dr, she asks "Where's your mom?" I just kinda stood there not knowing how to respond. I said "My mom's in Florida, though I don't know why she would need to be here considering i'm 24, have been married for almost 6 years and have a 5 month old son at home." Only then did she look at my chart and apologized. My hubby got a kick out of it when I told him what happened. Craziness!

Old 02-09-2005, 07:49 PM

Ok - so ds had some spots of blood in his poopie when I changed him. I put a call into his ped. I am freaking out. He is fine, not acting different, so I probably shouldn't worry, right?
Maybe he was just pushing too hard? Other than a few spots of blood, his poop was typical bf poop.

Old 02-10-2005, 02:25 AM

I did it!!!! I found where you sept mommy's posted. Thanks Cyn.

I am just going to jump in. I am a SAHM and have a baby boy Peter. His new skills include holding on to and picking up off the floor his ball while he is sitting up. WE are working of teeth and he is always soaked with a wet drool bib. I hope I make good friends here. HI
Old 02-10-2005, 03:08 AM

Pets: Desi has noticed our pug. She laughs at him and trys to reach out for him. The other day she caught some of his fur and pulled. Fortuantely he is a sweet dog. He gets hyper sometimes but he loves her. When she cries he will jump on the bed or sit on the floor next to her.

Christine~ I hope your baby is okay. I'm sure its just straining involved. Glad that your Dh is using the sling. I wish mine would more often. He does sometimes. Desi just wants to nurse so often. She is still so small that I think her belly doesn't take much.

Hi Julie! Nice to see you post here too!

Desi picked up a construction worker for me the otherday. I was nursing her n the sling at our house..its being built. Well anyways she was making kissing noises on me. The guy didn't know she was nursing and looked at me.
The maintence guy came by to fix some stuff in the apartment today. He thought I was Desi's sister. LOL that's why I'm nursing her. He only realized who I was when he went back to the office and they told him. He aplogized to me afterwards. He says I look well maintained. I do look young for my age.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:16 AM

oops double post
Old 02-10-2005, 04:29 AM

LOL at your "kissing" at the construction worker, Veganbaby. He must have been pretty confused.

Welcome, Julia. You'll love it here, if you can keep up, LOL

Mama bear, how are the poopies now? Blood in the diaper is scary! Usually no big deal. But once when he was 8 months old, Nicolas had major cramps, bloody diarrhea and bright green vomit. Turned out to be life threatening Intussusception. But you'll definitely know when you need to be concerned. Docs kept telling me it was just a virus and to wait it out... I knew better...

Stacey, that meal sounds incredible. You are amazing.

Unbelievably, the babies slept the entire trip on our way back from Florida... nearly 5 straight hours. On the way down, they slept most of the way, but it took us 6 1/2 hours because we stopped to change and nurse them. Much more pleasant than the time I drove down without dh. Then I got at least an hour of screaming each way.

My mom should be released from the hospital later today, hooray! She seems to be back to her feisty self. Thank you so much for your prayers and well wishes.

OK, I'd better go get some sleep. The babies have been waking every couple of hours or more lately. I really really really miss those long nights they used to give me. Sometimes they would sleep up to 11 hours straight!

So great to hear from Anna and Caroline again.

And Pam. Hugs. I have a book I'm borrowing from my sister called "Building Your Mate's Self Esteem". Maybe you could look it up at your library? Only thing I can think to offer is to encourage him and praise him specifically and stealthily. He needs your praise and confirmation, but doesn't want to feel like you're treating him like a kid, you know? And all I know about depression is that when I was dealing with it myself, it stemmed from unmet expectations mostly. And I had put ME at the center of my life, wanting everything else to fall into place around me. Instead of putting Jesus in the center, me yielding to his will, and letting everything fall into place according to His plan. Plus I needed to stop making (often unrealistic) expectations on myself and others.

BTW, are any of you watching Supernanny? I just love that show!

User Tag List