September 2004 Mamas February Thread - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-14-2005, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Savannah, you're doing a great job sewing! I'm so impressed.

Jen, I can so relate to having a spouse that doesn't get up with the baby! I was thinking about the last time that dh got up with the boys to let me sleep in and realized that it was long before Jackson was born!

I like my Bummis SWW too. I haven't had any problems with them, except that the smalls no longer fit, so I finally had to break down and buy a medium. I love my one lonely wool cover too! I want/need more. I'm trying to wait for natural babies to restock the sugarpeas med wool since I have a gc there from Christmas, but I don't know how much longer I can wait with the way Jackson is growing.

I had fun at the diapering party over the weekend. I saw lots of beautiful diapers! All the wool was amazing! And it was so cool to meet Chrissy, Lilah, and Noah.

Dh is doing well. He wrote me an e-mail to me on Friday that addressed all of my concerns about things around here lately and his depression and literally brought tears (of happiness) to my eyes. It was soo reassurring! It gives me so much hope.

Well, gotta get in the shower now. Happy Valentine's Day!!!!

Mama to ds 11, ds 7, dd 5, dd 2, and dd born on 6/17/12!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2005, 01:52 PM

Pam, I'm so glad to hear your dh is tackling his depression. Good for him!

Thanks for your compliments on my sewing babysteps.

Almamiel, I know what you mean about life taking a turn, seeming to make you stick your foot in your mouth! I did the very same thing. Now I've done it all -- stay home, work from home, work part time away from home, work full time away from home -- and I can't judge anyone for how they must live.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:46 PM

Happy V-Day! We had muffins with candles this morning and sang Happy Valentines to Us - Jack LOVES blowing out candles, as I'm sure most kids do! I made him a really cute heart pattern sock doll that I'll post pics of later and I got him a little heart of candy. He and I are making a heart cake this afternoon for dh and then I'm making a "fancy" dinner for all of us. I will celebrate just about anything - makes childhood so fun!

Here's a link to all the announcements I've done so far, with several new ones. The last one in the slide show I just did for a baby blessing / dedication so I'm going to do one for Lucy's baby blessing as well. I wouldn't have thought of it, but let me know if anyone wants one for a christening, etc. I also thought they would be cute for a first birthday - or actually any birthday. I'll always design them free for September mamas!
Old 02-14-2005, 03:02 PM

This isn't one of our better Valentine's days. We have to bury one of our hamster friends today. He got a big tumor in his cheek pouch quite quickly. He was 2yo Mika's hamster, Teddy Bear.
Dh is very depressed these days. Big financial problems. He won't get help though, and it's so hard. I've gotten to the point where I just want to shout "Get over it and deal with things.", not very sensitive I know. I'm usually understanding about it, but it's just too much when I'm feeling overwhelmed myself right now. I don't know.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:08 PM

Those announcements are beautiful!!! You are SO talented. My SIL designed our birth annoucement (she's a graphic artist/Art Director). We actually only just sent them out with our Christmas cards in December!!! : Oh well...better late than never...:LOL

Savannah - love the sewing pics! They look pretty good to me - I could never do that. I am going to try to learn to knit and make my own soakers. Maybe if I get good, i'll sell them. I might need some 'testers' - but I don't think it'll be anytime soon....

s - to all you mamas dealing with difficult situations! You are in my thoughts and prayers!

Happy Valentine's Day

Christine - mama to my 4 boys
Old 02-14-2005, 03:21 PM

Very nice birth annoucements! Very beautiful

This whole breastfeeding is quite frustrating. I had a breakdown yeserrday and started crying. Desi is such a slow gainer. I need to stop weighing her so often and stop worrying. I don't think she is going to double her birthweight by 6 months. It seems like she is getting enough milk with her wet diapers and BMs. She is growing in lenght and in head. She just isn't gaining in weight much. She is gaining like an ounce a week. This started after her 4 month appointment. I don't know if I should get a SNS or not. Any suggestions?
Old 02-14-2005, 03:27 PM

Don't know if this helps or not, but if Desi's very active she might just be burning off calories. If she's growing and having enough wet/solied diapers I don't know if I would worry too much. Plus, the charts here in the US are mainly based on ff white babies. Your baby is bf and asian. IMO - She is going to have a different growth pattern. Hang in there. If she's not losing weight and gaining, even if its slow, I think that's great and don't be so hard on yourself!

Old 02-14-2005, 04:12 PM

Veganbaby- was she born early? Every time we bring Bryn in they always point out that he is in a lower percentile for weight. At the school fundraiser the other night there was a couple from Shri Lanka and they had a five month old son too. He was maybe half the size of Bryn, but healthy and bf, and Bryn is small.

Anyone else frustrated w/ V.day?

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
Old 02-14-2005, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendmom
Anyone else frustrated w/ V.day?
If Jo asks me one more time what i want for valentine's day, I'm going to

We went to the chiropractor this am and Tristan did *not* like her using the activator (clicky thing they use to adjust vertebrae in kids and fragile folks instead of torsion) on his back, he cried like crazy. I'm thinking we may not do that again.

Cynthia, I personally think you should scrap that scale. My friend's son was always off the charts on the low end and he's just a lean, lanky guy. Never was pudgy. And I agree that the Asian ancestry must influence her size. If it really gets to be a concern for you, find a lactation consultant *who is really truly pro-breastfeeding* (many seem to be really anxious to jump to formula), perhaps through your local LLL.

OK, time to myself, ought to do something with it.

xo, j.

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
Old 02-14-2005, 05:21 PM

Hi everyone!

Savannah, I think your dipes look sooo cool! You are so talented.

Sarah, I would for you to design a birthday invitation for Kate! Also, dh's 30th birthday is in July and I'm thinking of throwing him a surprise party. If you want to branch out, I'd love you to design something for that, also. Maybe using a childhood picture of his or something?

Cynthia, I agree that you should get rid of that scale. As long as her diapers are fine, I wouldn't worry at all! I have to constantly remind myself to not compare Kate with other babies. It can drive you crazy.

Wardermom, sorry about your hamster and your husband. We are feeling the strains of money as dh just changed jobs. This too will pass, right?

Speaking of things passing, Kate is now waking up every hour or two to nurse at night...has been for 3 weeks and I am exhausted. I'm really starting to resent the whole thing. And that makes me feel awful.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:10 PM

Sarah, your announcements are so beautiful! We have such talented September moms!
Old 02-14-2005, 11:35 PM

Hugs, Melanie! We are here for you.

Mama Bear, my birth announcements went out with the Christmas cards, too.

Leomom, William has been nursing every 1-2 hours at night for a couple of weeks now, too. I HATE IT! Just wanted to let you know that I feel your pain.

Cynthia, I've not heard you mention Desi being extra crabby or "colicky". If she's not crying, IMO, she's not starving. I hope you will stop worrying, and just enjoy your sweet petite little girl.

We don't really make a lot of fuss about holidays. In fact, the sewing machine repair cost about $15 more than expected, so I told dh not to buy me anything. But he still brought home a chocolate rose, big stinker. Nicolas and I made him a quick card. No big deal. In fact, he's asleep in bed now, after pulling an all-nighter yesterday.

Sistermama, your announcements are great. Could you send me the file of mine so I can make prints of it? Thanks.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:11 AM

Thanks mamas. I'll try not to worry. I need to put the scale away so I don't get tempted to weigh her. She gets grumpy sometimes, but she doesn't act like she is straving or anything.

Stacey~ I hope that Kate will give you some sleep soon. There was a few nights a few weeks ago where Desi wanted to wake up every half hour! I was so tired that week.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:31 AM

Cynthia, I don't think David will have doubled his birth weight by 6 months either. He is 13lbs 11 oz right now and he is 5 months old. He was 8lbs 4oz at birth. He is a slow gainer as well. He has another 2 pounds and 5 ounces to go and I don't see that happening in a month. He is a happy baby though.

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
Old 02-15-2005, 12:45 PM

It's good to be back!

Our vacation was fun, but home is so much more convenient and comfortable when you have three little ones to take care of every day.

It was quite a shock to the system to leave the Florida sunshine and return to our freezing Upstate NY winter.

Anna is doing so well, and growing up so fast. Once I finally recovered (well, mostly, I still have bad days) from my formula-supplimenting guilt and realized that I should do whatever is best for her growth, things got alot easier at feeding times around here. Anna nurses 4 times daily now and takes 3 bottles of formula (6 ounces each). So, basically she gets a little more than half of her nutrition from formula.

Our ped asked us nicely to start her on soilds because of her FTT (failure to thrive) back at 4 months, and she's doing wonderfully with table foods. We're not big jarred food people. She eats variations of whatever we're eating.

I was in major doubt about the solids issue, but it has definately helped her to get back into the growth curve. She's at 13 pounds now, which is more than double her birth weight. She's just over 5 and a half months now, so that's still very small for her age, but not for her own PERSONAL curve.

Anna is a perpetual motion machine. I had hoped that her small size would mean she would be a BIT slower to start being mobile than her older sibs were (both were walkers by 8-9 months and running by 10-11 months). Right now, Annie can do a mean backwards crawl across an entire room and, if given the time and space, will army crawl forward for 15-20 feet as well. She loves to roll, too.

We're enjoying this phase of her babyhood. She's happy, bright, engaging and loves to laugh with us and talk to anyone who will listen.

I've missed all of you. Can't wait to catch up on everything I've missed, but I know it will take forever since I also have 6 suitcases full of "stuff" to unpack, sort, wash, fold and put away.

~L
Old 02-15-2005, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuddlemama
I also have 6 suitcases full of "stuff" to unpack, sort, wash, fold and put away.

~L
:
Old 02-15-2005, 01:27 PM

WB Cuddlemama! Glad to hear that Anna is doing well. Desi isn't even 13 lbs yet. She is still under 11 lbs. But she is also following her own growth curve as well. Good luck with unpacking.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:31 PM

Yeah, I know!

That's what you get when you take a 16 day vacation with a very pack-ratty husband and three children under 5, one of whom is still in cloth diapers full time and another who is not night-trained.

We went down with 3 suitcases full of clothing and one of diapers plus one of food. (Dave's parents can't do that many days of American food without freaking out, so we had to pack the stuff to make a few Chinese meals). We cleared out most of the food suitcase, but filled it back up with stuff we bought on the trip, plus an additional suitcase full of souvenirs as well. We're not typically big vacation-gift buyers but this trip had a celebration of Emily and Nate's birthdays, the Chinese New Year, and Mardi Gras all rolled up into one time period so we ended up with a large accumulation of gifts from other people as well as our own purchases.

~L
Old 02-15-2005, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganbaby
WB Cuddlemama! Glad to hear that Anna is doing well. Desi isn't even 13 lbs yet. She is still under 11 lbs. But she is also following her own growth curve as well. Good luck with unpacking.

Anna gained 3 pounds in a little over a month. She was barely 10 pounds at 4 months. In the past 6 weeks, she shot up about 2 inches in length and gained that 3 pounds that will, HOPEFULLY, convince the peds to take the FTT diagnosis off her charts.

~L
Old 02-15-2005, 01:50 PM

Kate is just now 13 pounds, too. She's in the 25%, whatever that's worth, but her pedi. says she's gaining fine.

BUT WHEN WILL SHE SLEEP???????????????????????????? :
Old 02-15-2005, 02:04 PM

When ds is on his back, he arches his back and props himself up on his head. DH is worried about him hurting his neck or something. I was just curious if anyone else's babes were doing this?
Thanks!

Old 02-15-2005, 02:30 PM

: I cant believe it!!! UGH!!! My flipping washing machine will not drain the water out. This is it. I cant take anymore stress. How am I supposed to wash diapers? We have no clean towels in the house. I just want this month to be over. We bought this car with our tax refund and now there are 15 other things that we should have spent the money on. There just isnt any more money we can squeeze out of DH's paycheck. And can someone tell me why our electric bill has suddenly went from $160.00 to $250.00? The hot water heater was leaking but that is fixed now. We arent doing anything different. Well at least with the washer not working the bill may go down. And what does DH say when I tell him the washing machine is broke? Im not a washing machine repair man. I dont know what's wrong with it. Well of course you dont. You would have to make an effort to look at it first!!!! UGH! I dont want to have to drag both kids plus baskets of laundry to MIL's house. I have too many things that need to be done around here. Ok rant over. I just cant take anymore stress this month.

OH and I just realized my baby is 5 months old today. How did they all get this old already???
Old 02-15-2005, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Bear
When ds is on his back, he arches his back and props himself up on his head. DH is worried about him hurting his neck or something. I was just curious if anyone else's babes were doing this?
Thanks!
Yes, Arowen does it.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkymonkeymom
: I cant believe it!!! UGH!!! My flipping washing machine will not drain the water out. This is it. I cant take anymore stress. How am I supposed to wash diapers? We have no clean towels in the house. I just want this month to be over. We bought this car with our tax refund and now there are 15 other things that we should have spent the money on. There just isnt any more money we can squeeze out of DH's paycheck. And can someone tell me why our electric bill has suddenly went from $160.00 to $250.00? The hot water heater was leaking but that is fixed now. We arent doing anything different. Well at least with the washer not working the bill may go down. And what does DH say when I tell him the washing machine is broke? Im not a washing machine repair man. I dont know what's wrong with it. Well of course you dont. You would have to make an effort to look at it first!!!! UGH! I dont want to have to drag both kids plus baskets of laundry to MIL's house. I have too many things that need to be done around here. Ok rant over. I just cant take anymore stress this month.
I'm sorry your washer isn't working. Mine is making a weird noise and I dread the thought of it breaking.
OH and I just realized my baby is 5 months old today. How did they all get this old already???
I'm amazed too. Arowen is 5 1/2 months now. How'd she get so big? Pregnancy seemed so long ,but time with our babes is going by so quickly.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:43 PM

Quote:
And what does DH say when I tell him the washing machine is broke? Im not a washing machine repair man. I dont know what's wrong with it. Well of course you dont. You would have to make an effort to look at it first!!!! UGH!

Here's a link that may help your dh fix your washer. good luck!

Mama to ds 11, ds 7, dd 5, dd 2, and dd born on 6/17/12!

Old 02-15-2005, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Thanks!

Sorry, I forgot to post an answer to this . I was too busy with my rant . Makynzi does that when she is trying to roll over and just cant seem to make it work.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:02 PM

Quote:
I dont want to have to drag both kids plus baskets of laundry to MIL's house.
If you lived closer, i'd say come do your laundry over here ...

Old 02-15-2005, 03:24 PM

Punkymonkeymom- Our washer stopped awhile back too. The diapers backed up so bad I swear I had flies growing in the pail. Dh said the same thing so I called Sears and told dh how much it was and that I was going to make an app. He freaked and fixed it the next day

Where are you mommas finding out how big your babies are? I missed Bryn's 4 month check up : and have no idea until next month at his 6 mo.one. I keep thinking I should put him on the produce scale as we do not have a scale at home(I'm to critical of the baby fat I'm sporting )

Dh told me my Vday gift is to go shopping since he doesn't know what to get me. But I can't get something like a nice lotion or cashmere socks. No. He thinks I need a new pair of shoes for work, or a decent pair of pants. What fun is shopping to get a gift for yourself if it's somthing you need and will be getting anyway? :

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
Old 02-15-2005, 04:05 PM

Cuddlemama~ I hope that your ped takes of FTT on the charts too. I was worried that Desi would have FTT on her charts. She is growing in length and in head just fine though. Its just frustrating sometimes to see that she isn't gaining in weight though. But I'm going to ignore the scales for now, because its causing me to worry. Her new doctor hasn't expressed any concerns for her weight.

Desi too is arching her back. She has been doing it for a long time now.

Mandy~ Sorry to hear about your washer. Hopefully you can get it fixed soon.

bendmom~ We bought a baby scale. My dh put it high up though so now I can't weigh her as often. Which is a good thing.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks!
Yes, McKenna loves doing this. They're just enjoying theur new-found necks and how neat they are, LOL

User Tag List