Weirdest baby product - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-21-2007, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskmom View Post
LMAO... guess my mouth isn't good enough?

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2007, 06:07 PM

Having just come from vacation... if it were not for the size, I think the portable changer is a good idea...

And I saw the suitcase stroller in action at the airport. It looked pretty cool. I know that one of my problems when traveling was all the STUFF we had to put on the belt for security, and this would make that easier. Only one thing to go through the screener.

I mean if you know you only need a stroller to get your kid to the gate and won't need one or will have one when you get there, why bring another stroller.

But yes, I can see the 'doh nature of all these products.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:11 PM

Oh, and for the baby robes, I finally found a use... My little sister is giving DD private swimming lessons... (mostly an excuse for my sister to play with DD in a pool) and the robe is really nice for when we get her out of the pool and into the locker room. Otherwise they have been a very cute waste of space.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:19 PM

I love how one person posts "OMG this is horrifing!" and then someone else chimes in that they have it. :

I have something similar to that big playyard that was ridiculed. It's really useful now that my twins are too big to carry both at one time and too mobile to easily contain. It's in my livingroom, set up either as a circle or as just a "fence." When I'm bringing one baby from upstairs to downstairs, changing one in the next room, or going to the bathroom myself, it keeps them from getting into danger. I'll probably use it outside this summer if they are playing in the yard and I am gardening or BBQing or doing something that might delay me from grabbing someone if she decides to run off.

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:20 PM

For every product, there's people out there that will buy them. I see some of them as so excessive. A butt fan? can't I just wave a cloth over my babies bottom, or dry it with a dry cloth? True, I'm anti-gadget at heart and not everyone is.

I actually thought the Ride-On Carry-On looked like a cool idea. Until I realized that I don't take a carry on when traveling with baby. I've got my hands full enough with a baby and diaper bag, I can't wrangle a suitcase, too!
Old 03-21-2007, 06:25 PM

I have a portable changing table of sorts. It's just a vinyl type thing that folds and is flat. I always pack it in my diaper bag because changing my baby in public without anything under him kind of squicks me out. It was great when he was a newborn and would blow poop out while changing too. (I don't have a changing table.)
Old 03-21-2007, 06:25 PM

The Flying Falcon is quite possibly the most ridiculous looking thing I've ever seen...
Old 03-21-2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wednesday View Post
That Podee tubing thing is pretty messed up too. I love how they say it can also be used for expressed breastmilk. Yeah...I'm going to pump my milk, put it into a bottle and then feed my baby through the Podee tube-and-pacifier thingie...because god forbid I actually touch my baby at any point.
I'm not sure how I feel about the Podee, but WOHMs have to use bottles of EBM. Even when there's a SAHD. So . . . I'd like to know dd has the best bottle. And I would simply love to hold my dd every time she eats.

Usually, though, I just pretend these "bottle" things don't even exist. When I see one around the house I kind of block it out. Bottle? What bottle? You use BOTTLES? What could those possibly be for when I have breasts??

Julia
dd 1 year old
Old 03-21-2007, 07:07 PM

I honestly don't understand the use for a portable changer. I change ds on the bed, the sofa, the backseat of the car...

Mom to a bright & energetic 6 y.o. boy  blahblah.gif   With my sweetie for 10 years now  blowkiss.gif  Registered nurse  caffix.gif

Old 03-21-2007, 07:15 PM

Come on ladies - you know if we got someone to publish a study that says kids that wore purple were going to be smarter, we could corner the market on purple clothes...

Supply and demand... ugh!

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
Old 03-22-2007, 01:37 AM

I'm totally in the minority on this product...and it is by no means in the same class as all of the other products listed here,...I personally just don't see a need for them...

Babylegs...:

When you are covering that much of the leg...just put a pair of leggings on...I try to rationalize the need maybe for a girl, but then I just say put tights on...

Okay you can all stone me now

Mama to Jack (12/7/06) & Liam (4/3/08) & Iris Hope (10/6/10)
Old 03-22-2007, 02:17 AM

: me too on the baby legs. I don't get them at all.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueIrises View Post
I'm totally in the minority on this product...and it is by no means in the same class as all of the other products listed here,...I personally just don't see a need for them...

Babylegs...:

When you are covering that much of the leg...just put a pair of leggings on...I try to rationalize the need maybe for a girl, but then I just say put tights on...

No stones.

We do tights with pocket dipes at night and going out and babylegs with fitteds w/ no cover for home. It's nice to have just a fluffy kissaluv on her butt sometimes. Especially since we EC. It makes it easier. She topples off the potty with tights around her ankles.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:41 AM

I know that us mommas are a lil forgetful sometimes, but did this really need to be invented???

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/...mSource=Search

April ... wife to Logan since 12/21/08, momma to Revi 10/30/03 & Wrenna 03/27/09, other-momma to Zoe 10/14/02 & Xander 08/17/04.... still figuring out how to blend a family!
Old 03-22-2007, 04:15 AM

Someone gave us what I suppose was supposed to be a safer blankie option. It's a square of blanket maybe a foot square with the top half of a teddy bear sticking out of the middle. It's blue.

I just thought it was stupid until DH asked me what i was trying to do traumatizing our kid? He laid the blanket out flat with the bear in the middle and asked me how I expected to explain it to him. Was the bear drowning? Had his bottom half been bitten off by a shark? Was he sinking in weird colored quicksand? Was he born without legs and left alone on a raft to die because his parents didn't want him?
Old 03-22-2007, 10:04 AM

Quote:

Babylegs...:

OMGoodness.... I see what you mean about them being silly... but they are CUTE! I want those for DD

(runs off to ebay)
Old 03-22-2007, 10:36 AM

I like babylegs because I can show off the cute nappy
Old 03-22-2007, 10:38 AM

How about this:

Maybe there IS a use for it (my babe isn't old enough to potty learn, and is a girl to boot), but it still makes me .
Old 03-22-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbeachgirl View Post
OMGoodness.... I see what you mean about them being silly... but they are CUTE! I want those for DD

(runs off to ebay)
Oh don't get me wrong, they are cute...and I grew up in the 80s so I get the whole leg warmer thing...I just think they are kinda silly...

Old 03-22-2007, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCVeg View Post
How about this:

Maybe there IS a use for it (my babe isn't old enough to potty learn, and is a girl to boot), but it still makes me .
That is funny...so ridiculous!

So I'm guessing the One Step Ahead mag is basically on the outs here!
Did I mention I am VP of baby products there?

Just kidding, I'm a teacher!

Old 03-22-2007, 12:13 PM

A woman in my mothers group uses the pacifier/bottle with her twins when they are in the car or on the move. I didnt think it was that bad or at least didn't judge my friend using it at all. When at a coffee shop I have seen her props one bottle with a pillow while feeding the other. I think it depends on one's situation. I would never use such a thing for my one baby, but maybe twins and bottle feeding is different. who knows? All I know is that when my baby is hungry he wants to nurse/feed NOW. I cant imagine two starving babies.
Hmmm,
sarah
Old 03-22-2007, 01:53 PM

Definitely the pee-pee-teepee.

Old 03-22-2007, 02:58 PM

Quote:

Babylegs...:

They are mainly used by the EC moms. There is an EC subforum under Diapering. It's another part of Attachment Parenting. I love them for ECing. No messing with pants or taking anything, but diaper or underwear when pottying them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCVeg View Post
How about this:

Um, the urinal is a bit much, but yes babies can potty learn when they are born. Here is a link that will explain what I mean. http://www.diaperfreebaby.org/

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

Old 03-22-2007, 05:35 PM

how about this:

prenatal education system

Momma to my sweet kiddos DD (2.19.07) and DS (9.27.09) and wife to the most amazing man (7.24.04)
: :
Old 03-22-2007, 05:48 PM

This will make you laugh until you cry... or if you're pregnant- until you wet your pants.

http://shiveredsky.blogspot.com/2006...ducts-for.html

Enjoy!

Kristi

Kristi wife to Mal , mom to Ziva (4/07) (3/08) Aliyah (1/09) and somebody new (edd 11/10). I
Old 03-22-2007, 06:01 PM

I LOVE babylegs! They are great for quick diaper changes, around the house dd wears her bl's, cloth diaper & a t shirt. Also, she's growing like a weed, so for some of her pants that are to short, I fill in the gap between socks & hem with her bl's, that way she stays warm when we are out & about, I also use her disana wool knickers (soaker shortie) as a warm dipe cover with dresses and again cover the gaps between sock & knickers with b.l.'s....did I mention how super cute they are?
Old 03-22-2007, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemrose View Post
OMG!! Did you see the price?! To let your baby listen to an imitation heartbeat? Ummm, isn't the baby positioned conveniently right under a real heartbeat?

I love this thread!

Malinda, partner to Ryan, Mama to Super-Holden (Nov 2006) and my new little bundle, Declan (Feb 2010)
Old 03-22-2007, 07:20 PM

It's funny how many of these come from One Step Ahead!
Old 03-22-2007, 08:52 PM

No stones on Babylegs but we EC PT too & they save my lil guy from getting cold!
Old 03-22-2007, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathysteck View Post
Um, the urinal is a bit much, but yes babies can potty learn when they are born. Here is a link that will explain what I mean. http://www.diaperfreebaby.org/
Yes, of course. I know about EC. But MY babe wears dipes and we don't practice it. So, yes, at 10 months of diapers and no attempt whatsoever on my part to learn her signals, I think she IS to young to do traditional potty learning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldensMama View Post
OMG!! Did you see the price?! To let your baby listen to an imitation heartbeat? Ummm, isn't the baby positioned conveniently right under a real heartbeat?
No no no--you don't get it. The ARTIFICIAL heartbeat makes 'em smarter. It's scientific, you see? That's why they have those stuffed animals with the heartbeat noise--put that it the crib and keep 'em away from those darned unstable mothers.

User Tag List