Weirdest baby product - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 163 Old 02-01-2005, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know if anyone has brought this up yet. I was at Target a while back. I saw a bottle that was inside animal holders. The nipple would come out of the animals mouth. So its like the animal was thowing up the food into the baby's mouth. I was with a friend. I think she thought it was cute until I made a snidey comment about it. She probably made a note to self not to buy it for me.
#2 of 163 Old 02-01-2005, 10:49 PM

Hm, that is weird. I formula feed and that just sounds too weird for me... ever see
THESE?
ICK ICK ICK ICK ICK

These are the reasons why people think that formula feeding moms are cold and uncaring. ANY mom that uses this would strike me as cold and uncaring...
#3 of 163 Old 02-01-2005, 11:04 PM

bottle propers are weird to me
#4 of 163 Old 02-01-2005, 11:08 PM
Banned

oh.my.lord. @ the second one...the first one sounds gross, but the second one, the weird pacifier bottle feeder dont have to do anything with or for your baby during feeding time at all thingie is WEIRD....
#5 of 163 Old 02-01-2005, 11:27 PM

What is worse is I actually SAW a mom at the mall strollering her daughter around with one of those things. ICK! I just hugged Moo and moved on.....

I figured that everyone would think they are weird.

(sorry Veganmama, didn't mean to hijack your thread)
#6 of 163 Old 02-01-2005, 11:37 PM

we actually have one of those stupid bottle holder animals .. lovely baby shower gift. *rolles her eyes*

oddly enough .. dd (18mo) loves to put her sippie cups in it. :LOL at least it's getting SOME kinda use
#7 of 163 Old 02-02-2005, 12:28 AM

Dd pointed out the animal thing in Babies R Us and we were both a bit perturbed. Those things remind me of the loveys you buy your pet bird so he thinks he's not alone. Though I'm sure plenty of sensible people use them and just think they're cute. Bottle propping is horrible IMO. Dd was breastfed but had an occasional bottle of almond milk when she was older and I didn't even like to see her hold her own bottle when she was a toddler! There's something not right about it.
#8 of 163 Old 02-02-2005, 12:31 AM

That self-feeding bottle system is kind of like a camelback. Except just get your toddler a straw, and accept your baby needs attention! -sigh- I bet they're going to make a mint, too, though maybe people will be creeped out by the tube.
#9 of 163 Old 02-02-2005, 08:42 AM

Wouldn't that tube be a strangulation hazard?!
#10 of 163 Old 02-02-2005, 10:14 AM

this is the one that gets me in a tizzy

http://www.bottlesling.com/product.h...%7D&sReferrer=
#11 of 163 Old 02-02-2005, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchy Dragon

At least that site has a huge warning now not to use the bottle sling in a moving vehicle. I recall seeing it six months or so ago and one of the "advantages" listed was that you could feed the baby while you were driving somewhere. I was horrified that such a dangerous practice would be recommended--let's see, the baby is rear-facing, out of sight, and we're going to stick a bottle of liquid in her mouth that she is physically unable to remove. Not a good idea!!!

That Podee tubing thing is pretty messed up too. I love how they say it can also be used for expressed breastmilk. Yeah...I'm going to pump my milk, put it into a bottle and then feed my baby through the Podee tube-and-pacifier thingie...because god forbid I actually touch my baby at any point.
#12 of 163 Old 02-02-2005, 12:15 PM

We have the Podee thing. It was a shower gift from a SIL. We haven't used it, but did think about it. We were going to try it when we were doing a 13 hour drive with DS when he was only 10 weeks and eating every 2 hours and taking 45 min to eat. We thought if we could do every other feeding "on the go" it would greatly shorten the trip. We ended up with DH feeding him EBM in a bottle while I pumped. It was actually faster than me feeding DS.

I've thought about returning it, since BRU carries it. I probalby should now.
#13 of 163 Old 02-02-2005, 01:13 PM

OMG, that bottle sling says you can "tend to baby" while "enjoying hobbies"????

Yes, let me just IGNORE my child while I play with my crossword puzzle?
#14 of 163 Old 02-02-2005, 02:39 PM

I poured through every catalog that came to the house when I was pregnant, afraid I would miss something I just had to have. This one just make me burst into laughter...

http://www.onestepahead.com/product/27219/686/117.html

In all fairness to One Step Ahead, I love their baby safe feeders, the mesh things for fruit, oh well here....

http://www.onestepahead.com/product/...07755/117.html
#15 of 163 Old 02-02-2005, 03:56 PM

I know a mom who had to return to work, and the only bottle her baby would take was the breastbottle. I think it's a great idea, though the daycare people were a little weirded out by it.

weirdest baby product... hmmm... those bottle proppers would have to be at the top of my list. But lots of items most people use I think are weird, like cribs, strollers, those bathtub seats, special washcloths marketed just for babies, baby shampoo, oh, what about that baby perfume sold by Burt's Bees???
#16 of 163 Old 02-02-2005, 04:10 PM

The animal bottle thing is odd considering that there are plenty of animals who feed their young by regurgitating into their mouths. They should make a wolf one they deposits mushed up food into your baby's mouth--then it would at least be grounded in biological fact.
#17 of 163 Old 02-02-2005, 07:00 PM

LOL, regurgitated food is the first thing I thought of when I saw those animal holders! Ick.

Bottle proppers of any kind just make me sad. That second product shows a baby with what looks to me like the loneliest little face there in his carseat.
#18 of 163 Old 02-02-2005, 11:37 PM

I think Diaper Genies are the strangest thing! Toss in that nasty disposable, poop and all, give er a twist, and save it for later!! :Puke

Terri, sewing mama to 4 beautiful girls and the boy, Finn. We novaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gifh20homebirth.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gifsewmachine.gif since 1996!
#19 of 163 Old 02-03-2005, 10:57 AM

Regarding bottle proppers - DH and I went with mil to bru to register before dd was born. MIL saw one of those bottle proppers and said how wonderful that would have been to have had when dh was little. Fortunately, she didn't actually come out and tell me to register for it.

Weirdest - I'm drawing a blank, but there are some doozies out there.
#20 of 163 Old 02-03-2005, 04:20 PM

I actually own, and use, a Podee. I can't breastfeed because of meds I must take, so I cuddle my baby close in the cradle hold and in that hand, near her bottom, I hold the Podee. I use the other free hand to stroke dd's hair or face, or just hug her closer. Because it has the tube, dd can be facing me, cuddled up near my breast, without the bottle in the way or poking us at weird angles. I love that it lets us be close while she's bottlefeeding.

I do imagine the tube could be a strangulation hazard, if someone left the baby alone with it, but the tubing slips off the connectors pretty easily. Regardless, I would certainly hope no one would just stick a bottle, Podee or not, in their babe's mouth and leave.

So you can laugh at the Podee- it certainly does look weird. But dd and I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything (except a chance to breastfeed).
#21 of 163 Old 02-03-2005, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytheria
I actually own, and use, a Podee. I can't breastfeed because of meds I must take, so I cuddle my baby close in the cradle hold and in that hand, near her bottom, I hold the Podee. I use the other free hand to stroke dd's hair or face, or just hug her closer. Because it has the tube, dd can be facing me, cuddled up near my breast, without the bottle in the way or poking us at weird angles. I love that it lets us be close while she's bottlefeeding.

I do imagine the tube could be a strangulation hazard, if someone left the baby alone with it, but the tubing slips off the connectors pretty easily. Regardless, I would certainly hope no one would just stick a bottle, Podee or not, in their babe's mouth and leave.

So you can laugh at the Podee- it certainly does look weird. But dd and I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything (except a chance to breastfeed).

Yeah, I guess I could see that. I also ff, but I just cradle Moo and hold her bottle, lately, she's been holding her own bottle so I can play with her more during snuggle/feed...
#22 of 163 Old 02-03-2005, 05:59 PM

kytheria, i have to FF for the same reason, i can see using a Podee for snuggle-feeding. sometimes i prop the baby (rather than the bottle! ugh), she's in my lap facing me with a pillow behind her and i feed her with one hand and stroke her with the other hand, lots of eye contact

here's the worst i'd seen before i saw the other stuff posted here! http://bababib.com/

treehugger.gif Willow (6) says: "Mother Earth is the mother of all mothers"

angel1.gif Phoenix (6/2011) ♥      print-n-color mandalas >photosmile3.gif

#23 of 163 Old 02-03-2005, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
That’s what I was thinking about that bottle holder thing. Seems fair enough that a bottle fed child’s parent or person feeing them should have hands free if there’s some gadget. I know I BFed hands free. I even BFed while chatting to friends, watching a movie, typing, sleeping…

That podee thing seems like a really nice idea for bottle fed children.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#24 of 163 Old 02-03-2005, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchy Dragon

pnnak (post-nurse napping at keyboard )

That's the saddest thing I've seen in a long time. ... reminds me of those watermelons they grow in a box so they come out square - you could literally never take your baby out of that seat and end up with a bucket-shaped babe, so, so sad
#25 of 163 Old 02-03-2005, 11:20 PM

I just want to clarify that I meant no disrespect or insult to those who use bottles or the camel-back-type thing with "safety and love," as Dr Sears says. Every gadget has its place - it was the advertising of what I would call misuse (not "needing" to hold the baby while feeding, so you can get something else done) that I found disturbing.

I've considered the breastbottle might be the one thing my son might take. Don't know why they had to call it that, though, it seems that would make it unpopular.
#26 of 163 Old 02-03-2005, 11:41 PM

Just another note on the Podee, when I saw it being used, the mom was completly ignoring the child. She was in her stroller and drinking while mom was talking with someone else not even making any eye contact with her daughter
#27 of 163 Old 02-04-2005, 04:22 AM

that podee thing mght be good for babies with lots of gassiness to avoid air :dk

one ofthe dumbest things i got as a shower gift was a pacifier thermometer. good in theory, but it was terrible. it didnt work. I even tried to use it myself. My temp read 96 :LOL weird.
they make some WEIRD stuff for babies!

that bottlesling looks one step removed from a hamster feeder!! :LOL
hmmm, now that you meantion it, late night feedings could be so much easier... just kidding

Amy
#28 of 163 Old 02-04-2005, 04:23 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Oh, sorry, people. I was thinking of the sling that you use to hold the bottle to your body (breast level) while you hold the baby.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#29 of 163 Old 02-04-2005, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgoddess
I poured through every catalog that came to the house when I was pregnant, afraid I would miss something I just had to have. This one just make me burst into laughter...

http://www.onestepahead.com/product/27219/686/117.html

In all fairness to One Step Ahead, I love their baby safe feeders, the mesh things for fruit, oh well here....

http://www.onestepahead.com/product/...07755/117.html
we actaully bought that breast bottle. we had a tough start with bfing and we were willing to try anything (i had flat nipples and he had aversion from a tube shoved down his throat but we managed to solved our problems and bfed for almost 2 years)

anyway, i thought it sucked and a huge waste of money!
#30 of 163 Old 02-04-2005, 02:35 PM

My BIL used a podee. He has joint custody of his son and has since he was teeny tiny. He would walk him back and forth to get him to sleep while tucking the bottle somewhere and putting the little pacifier thing in my nephew's mouth. My nephew would be cuddled up to him resting his head on his shoulder. I think in that case he probably just used it because it would be easier on his back or something. He might have used it more often, though, I wasn't around him that much when my nephew was a baby. When we had dd#2 BIL gave us all his baby stuff including his podee. I was like, uuuuummmm no. Since I was breastfeeding I had no use for it and even if dd had the occasional bottle of EBM I knew someone would be cradling her.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page