outgrowing car seat already, need recommendations - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 02-03-2005, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
while pregnant with number 3 i bought her a baby trend latch loc car seat because it was supposed to be good till she weighed 22 pounds. my first baby grew fast and my second baby grew really fast, so i wanted that extra two pounds. well, i just checked the height limits and it turns out my seat is only good to 20 pounds! ARRGGHH!!! and guess who already weighs almost 20 pounds? that's right, my not quite 5 month old. sheesh.

ok, i guess i got shafted somehow, but it's way too late to fix the problem. i'm hardly going to be able to return the thing now! still -- i'll have to replace it a LOT sooner than i anticipated. (like, probably in the next 2 or 3 weeks! $h!t!)

i drive a 2000 Ford Windstar with LATCH. i have three kids, all in some form of car seat. bird and night star sit in the middle seat and my secret sits in the back seat. i need something that will fit next to bird's britax roundabout. i want something safe, rear-facing to 30 pounds or so, and front facing to 40 or 50 pounds. i'd like to spend less than an arm and a leg. any recommendations for me?

also -- the last time i did any research on this i vowed never to buy anything from evenflo, since they had a habit of putting out bad products and fighting like the dickens not to recall them. has that changed?

does the latest baby bargains book have a recommendation about this? they seemed to be really trustworthy when i went to them for advice before.

oh yeah, and i will only be able to buy something locally if target or kmart carry it. no baby superstores around here. so i will probably end up ordering something on-line. sigh.
#2 of 15 Old 02-03-2005, 12:33 AM

DD grew out of her infant car seat just a few weeks ago (at about 4 months), only with her it was a height thing, not a weight thing. I now have a Cosco Alpha Omega (not the old recalled one, a new one.) It's one of those that will be a booster seat later on, as well. I am using it rear facing now. I would definitely NOT recommend this seat. The only reason I'm using it is because my mom bought it for me, and I'd already sent in the warranty card so the store won't take it back.

It is ENORMOUS. I have a Nissan Pathfinder, with a really really roomy backseat, and rear-facing the seat barely fits. It is almost impossible to get at the correct angle and you have to completely uninstall it to adjust the harness settings, so everytime DD grows an inch or gains a pound I have to remove the seat. Also, the buckle is this really awkward puzzle one and it's really hard to use.

All in all, it's not a good seat. I recommend don't buy it!

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#3 of 15 Old 02-03-2005, 12:58 AM

Britax, Britax, Britax. Try ebay!
#4 of 15 Old 02-03-2005, 01:09 AM

I would not buy anything from Cosco as they have a very bad habit of not recalling faulty items until forced to do so and making inferior products

If you don't want to spend an arm and a leg the Graco Comfort Sport is good but I don't know the rear facing specs on it (FF is until 40 pounds)

The only seats I can think of that are harnessed beyond 40 pounds is Britax

jen: caring auntie to a bunch of little (and some not so little anymore) wild things. Teacher to my whackadoodle 3s (and sometimes infants)
#5 of 15 Old 02-03-2005, 01:52 AM

We LOVE our Britax Wizard. Just moved Savannah into it about a month ago (at about 5 months- she hated the laying down of the infant seat) It's good rear-facing to 30lbs I think and forward to 65 so we won't have to buy another for quite awhile. It fits fine in our Honda Civic.

good luck!

-Angela
#6 of 15 Old 02-03-2005, 11:11 AM

Actually, it's Cosco who fights their products being recalled(they were fined millions of dollars for it a few years ago). I wouldn't touch a Cosco/Dorel/Safety 1st product with ten foot pole.

Anyway, how about you buy a Marathon for the child who is in the Roundabout, and use the Roundabout for the baby? If you do a search, you'll be able to find the Marathon online for $200-210 with free shipping. That way, your older child will be able to stay harnessed longer, and you'll still have the Roundabout for your little one(BTW, my son outgrew his infant seat at about the same age)

STAY AWAY FROM EBAY!! I shudder to think of parents who buy their child's seats from Ebay. Plus, consider that many companies, even if you buy the seats new from Ebay, will not honor their warranty if it's purchased in such a way.
#7 of 15 Old 02-03-2005, 12:41 PM

We have the Baby Bargains book and got the BabyTrend Latch Loc and loved it but our "little" guy outgrew it really fast, too.

So, we went back to the book and got the Evenflo Triumph. They said it was a good seat and very affordable. We bought ours at Toys R Us but I've also seen them at Target.

Not sure about the recall issues with Evenflo? Charlie's been in the seat for about five months now and we love it. It is a bit wide so you might take measurements of your car seat space and the seat if you are interested in getting it.
#8 of 15 Old 02-03-2005, 04:27 PM

We also bought an Evenflo Triumph when my dd outgrew her seat at 5 months. We LOVE it! I liked what I saw and read about it so much it was my first choice, and the Roundabout my second. I've had it for three months now, and have no regrets about buying it. I got mine at Sears for $120. (I read ALL the reviews at Amazon and Epinions. I could barely see straight afterwards.)
#9 of 15 Old 02-04-2005, 05:18 AM

I second the idea of buying a Marathon for the older child and putting the baby in the Roundabout. Unless your car can't take that, then I'd just get another Roundabout.

FYI, Target now sells Roundabouts and Marathons. At least ours does.
#10 of 15 Old 02-04-2005, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyeilis
I second the idea of buying a Marathon for the older child and putting the baby in the Roundabout. Unless your car can't take that, then I'd just get another Roundabout.
I third this idea, though we got the Husky for Ben when he turned 2 cause he's a big kid and I wanted to make sure he didn't grow out of the Marathon before he turned 6 (which is likely!)

BTW, the LatchLoc comes in 2 styles, the one that goes to 22 lbs used to only be available in their travel system, you had to specially request it if you wanted it by itself.

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#11 of 15 Old 02-20-2005, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

today i went to target and dropped an arm, leg and some internal organ (didn't check to see which one - was crying too hard to see it clearly!) to buy a britax marathon for my little bird and then i turned her britax roundabout round about to the back again for my little night star.

and thus, i do not plan to spend another red cent on a car seat for many, many pounds!
#12 of 15 Old 02-21-2005, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana ima
today i went to target and dropped an arm, leg and some internal organ (didn't check to see which one - was crying too hard to see it clearly!) to buy a britax marathon for my little bird and then i turned her britax roundabout round about to the back again for my little night star.

and thus, i do not plan to spend another red cent on a car seat for many, many pounds!

Hey, I was also at Target yesterday! Did you happen to notice that the Roundabouts were on sale? Unfortunately, the Marathon's were still full-priced. Would two Roundabouts work for you? If so, you could probably exchange the new Marathon for one of the Roundabouts and save about $80.

I feel your pain. DH and I need to start saving for 2 new seats- one for my van, one for his car because I don't want to hassle with switching the seat from one vehicle to the other every time we need to go somewhere. At least right now, we only needed an extra base for his infant seat (also a Britax) so that helped money-wise. Still, with the Marathons running around $250, 2 new seats ain't gonna be cheap... sigh.
#13 of 15 Old 02-21-2005, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabi Sabi
Hey, I was also at Target yesterday! Did you happen to notice that the Roundabouts were on sale?
yes, but i bought the marathon for my middle kid, and she's already around 35 pounds. there was no reason to get her a seat she would outgrow in 5 pounds!
sigh. so i dropped about $265 on a seat she will fit in for 30 more pounds. and that had better be YEARS!
#14 of 15 Old 02-22-2005, 12:16 PM

i would get the britax. i love mine.
its rear facing now, but will still have room to grow when i turn it around!.
i have a 28 inch long 21 pound 6 month old... he outgrew an infant carrier length wise months ago. sheesh! who knew.
i think in this case, $$ does equal quality. i don't think i will ever buy another carseat thats not a britax. BRU has closeouts all the time on last years models....
ETA: now i have read all the posts, and realize i am chiming in VERY late here! sorry
#15 of 15 Old 02-22-2005, 12:18 PM

We had the same problem and got a Britax Marathon (new on eBay) its WONDERFUL!

Who stole my signature!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page