September 2004 Mamas - March Thread - Our babies are 6 months already!!! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 524 Old 03-20-2005, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mama Bear- I was pretty frustrated with the no feet past 6 months too. It gets really cold here and I hate putting all the foot layers on. I'm guessing that they do that because some kids might be walking sometime during the 6-12 mo. stage, but at least crawling, so it would be no good if they had the foot things because they need shoes at that point. Just my opinion though.
We had some really great footed rompers from GAP : that were bought new this winter, so they might still have them on their sale page online. I would be thrilled if Hanna made the zippers and stripes with feet

Leomom- My doc told me that dairy rarely effect babies through bm. The protiens are to large to pass and if they do anything at all they unsettle the baby's tummy. I haven't noticed any change when I do or don't drink caffiene, and again the doc said that so little is passed through, it's really not worth worring about. This doc is a family practice, more natural an dis okay with our life style so I tend to pay attention to him, as aposed to Bryn's Ped. I'm a caffiene aholic : (my sig) and he sleeps great.

I want to learn to knit! I am worried that it will be like me sewing a million throw pillow covers, I will only knit scarves, or whatever is the easiest.

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
#302 of 524 Old 03-20-2005, 03:29 PM

I've been sewing all morning, that's where... =O) I cannot wait to finish this latest pocket dipe... SO CUTE! It is red microfleece inside, yellow PUL and outer fabric, with a hand-embroidered (appliqued? stitched? whatever) design I drew that says "HOT STUFF". I'm experimenting with the butt words as well as, this is my first "serged" dipe... only, I don't have a serger, so it's stitched all around, then I went back and did an overlock stitch.

I'm supposed to be on the road to FL, but I want to finish the dipe and show it to my mom, whom I'm visiting.

Congrats on the knitting, Stacey!!! I'll keep my eyes out for monkeys. Speaking of monkeys, would you please email me a picture of either just your shirt and closeup of the monkey design, or of Kate in the shirt? I didn't take a picture, and now I want one to put on my web site's gallery. Thanks! msrog@yahoo.com.

Sorry, mamabear, about your foiled attempts to buy those outfits. Children's Place and GAP have some cute ones, I think in that size. Not sure, though. I also prefer the one piece footed outfits. Post an ISO on the Trading Post here and you might find a few...

Have a great weekend, ladies.
#303 of 524 Old 03-20-2005, 04:40 PM

I, too, am a coffe/caffeine addict. I stear clear during pregnancy and then swill it all other times. Love the stuff.

We have a couple of pairs of Robeez for R - keeps the socks on and the feet warm! My mom always buys a couple of pairs in each size for the girls (love her!).

M spent the night with mother-in-law so dp spent the morning reading and I attached the yard with pruning shears and R on my back in the Ergo. Felt really good to do some physical work but now I have blisters all over my hands.

Oh, new pics

Have a great Sunday, all!

DD1 (8yrs) + DD2 (6yrs) + DS1 (4/25/11) = one crazy adventure!
#304 of 524 Old 03-20-2005, 04:43 PM

Savannah- What's the web adress for gallery? Do you post pics of what you have made? I would be interested in a fleece on the inside cd if you get around to it...

Sarah- What do you do when dd falls asleep in the Ergo? I would think that their little heads fall back or have no where to go, Just wondering

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
#305 of 524 Old 03-20-2005, 04:52 PM

THere's actually a flap with little straps on the back that you can pull over her head and velcro through rings on the front to hold her head in place- works very, very well!

#306 of 524 Old 03-20-2005, 05:06 PM

Wish I had the flexibility to actually grab the straps to pull the head thing up! T never falls asleep in it, though.

I wish, too, that I could teach you guys knitting! Except that you're a little bit far away... oh well. You'd probably get tired of me treating you like a Waldorf school first grader anyway "now try again... under the fence, catch the sheep, back you come, and off you leap! well done! now again... under the fence..." I'm ashamed that I haven't picked up needles since I knit Tristan's hat - don't worry, I felted it and unfortunately I don't think it will fit next winter but I'm hatching ideas for a new sweater (since his old one is going to get too small one of these days - hopefully not before spring is over, though. I bought some nice mohair yarn on the TP here - maybe I will make some longies. Pretty snazzy longies - mohair - !

I started drinking decaf while ttc and now if I drink fully caf coffee I get a headache like you wouldn't believe, so I stick with decaf coffee, although I do drink caffeinated black tea. I guess that's one (small, insignificant) benefit of having low milk supply: Tristan gets so little milk per feeding that I don't have to worry much about caffeine or alcohol...

well, it's time for T's lunch - rice cereal and sweet potato with a formula+breast milk chaser -

j

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#307 of 524 Old 03-20-2005, 05:50 PM

I don't drink Coffee, but I do drink an occasional Pepsi.. Bad I know. It doesn't seem to affect Julian at all.

As for baby weight.. I gained 54 pounds with Julian. The first 40 came off so quickly and easily, but this last 14 is hanging out. I haven't done much to try to get it off, but I really need to.

As for pain and soreness from birth. I don't have any at all. Sadly I had a c-section. I have felt fine since six weeks postpartum.

Julian has been so fussy the last few days. He is teething. I can see them under the gums, but they haven't poked through yet. Hopefully it won't be long...
#308 of 524 Old 03-20-2005, 07:30 PM

Sam- I'm more of a Coke fan myself

Jen, that sweater is adorable! Did you do the booties too? I read back awhile that you only speak German to T? He's going to be so proud of his super mom someday. My mom could speak Japanese, knit, sew, play piano, artist too, she tought me nothing so I now have to teach myself.

Bryn sweet potato too, and I have to wonder if it is because it's the first solid he had, even though it was only a bit? I caved and bought one of those little mesh holders for pieces of fruit. I think it makes his gums feel good with a piece of cold apple in there. I kinda mush it abit with my teeth so it's not so edgy and he can get the juice too.

Off to sew another pillow cover

#309 of 524 Old 03-20-2005, 11:42 PM

Forgot to say that Target sells sleep-n-plays that have (1) a zipper from the foot up (2) feet (3) have a nice snap over the zipper at the neck and (4) come in plenty of big sizes. T is in 6-9 mos ones right now. They're Circo brand and are not that pricey.

I do speak mostly German to Tristan, primarily during the day when we're alone. Jo feels a little left out when I speak German to him when she's around so in the evenings it's alles auf Englisch. And I can't take credit for the booties, they were a gift. But I do love the colors! Tristan has grown out of them and they've gone on to Estella.

#310 of 524 Old 03-21-2005, 11:08 AM

Our DSL is down at home, and I have missed you mamas! I second the Target Circo sleepers, they are really nice. I need to get Lu the next size up. She can't fit in the 3-6 month ones anymore.

When Jack was a baby dairy REALLY affected him. I had to cut it completely out of my diet. I then waited until he was two to give him anything but yogurt, and he is fine with it now.

Sam - have you considered the Britax husky for Tori? I was going to get a Marathon for Jack, so Lu could move into his RA, but my friend talked me out of it because she loves her Husky, and you can use it for an additional 20 pounds.
#311 of 524 Old 03-21-2005, 11:20 AM

Jen - to reach the ergo straps, I have to reach around, grab the strap, un-velcro it so it's really long, then pull it around. Still takes a little contorting :LOL

Dp's headed to Netherlands/Belgium/Germany next week for a short band tour and I'm going to camp out at my mom and dad's all next week. Since dp's a SAHD, my parents are going to take some days of work to help watch the girls so that I can continue working. My dad's a little nervous to be responsible for both kids for 8 hours all by himself . He wants to buy a frame baby back-pack for the girls, any suggestions?

Have a great Monday!

#312 of 524 Old 03-21-2005, 12:55 PM

Where is Chrissy???

Sarah, did I ever send you that email about John's birthday invites??? :

Kate has a tooth! I can feel it, and so can my boob! : But, I can't see it yet. She is not happy about it!

Savannah, the monkey onesie is still too small for Kate...do you want me to wait and take a picture of her in it, or would you rather have just the onesie? It'll probably fit this summer....she is so small!
#313 of 524 Old 03-21-2005, 01:08 PM

Hi Mamas! I've been reading this thread for a while but this is the first time I've posted. My baby boy is just over 6 months (born on Sept.14) and I'm staying home from teaching high school for at least a year (maybe more...). Life with him has been great so far.... except for the nighttime thing... I want to see if any of you have had similar experiences as me, and what you did (or would advise) to do about it.

My husband and I cosleep with Thor and have since he was born. Overall, we have loved it, except lately it's been hard. Ever since he was born he hasn't slept more than a 6 hour stretch, and there have only been about 10 of those total. The past month or even two, he has been waking at least every 2 hours. Sometimes he'll sleep from 9-12 or 1, but that is rare. Last night he woke up at 2:30 wide awake and didn't go back to sleep for an hour and a half, then woke up wide awake at 5:30. Basically, I'm wondering if the cosleeping is what is causing him to wake, or if he'd be doing this no matter where he slept. I've tried to get him to sleep in his crib from the time he was born, but he never took to it. He is impossible to lie down after you have him asleep... he wakes right up again. So I have to lie down with him and nurse him until he falls asleep, then sneak away (which I don't mind -- love the snuggling).

Anyway, is this typical behavior (the constant night waking)? He's got the two bottom teeth (at 4 mo).... help!

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#314 of 524 Old 03-21-2005, 02:18 PM

Sarah- How hun for Dh! I use a simple pack that the boys love because it keeps them low and right behind, it doesn't sit them high up, and it doesn't have alot of straps and fancy stuff. I got mine at a resale shop for $15 and it's teal green. This is the link, I think. vehttp://www.babystyle.com/common/dProductDetail.asp?PMId=16384&SIND=1&dept=36&cmCL= geardept-slingscarriers&cmPG=ry

I have those Target Circo sleepers and love them, but have to size up because of cd.

Welcome new mom!!!!
Bryn wakes like that alot too, and especially with the teething it can be hard. I always end up rolling side to side with him all night.

I'm getting the most recent set of pics together so hopefully I will get to them today.

#315 of 524 Old 03-21-2005, 02:36 PM

Hi Ashley! Welcome!!!

It sounds like you have a similar situation to what I was dealing with not too long ago. We had been co-sleeping with ds since he was about 3 weeks old. Prior to that, he was napping/sleeping in a bassinet next to me. Then he would nap in his bassinet and sleep with us at night. When he was about 2 months old, I started putting him down for naps in his crib. It took a few weeks, but he started going down for naps relatively easy and consistently. About a month and half ago, his constant waking at night was becoming very bothersome for dh b/c when ds would wake up, he would cry at the top of his lungs until I fed him. And even after eating, he would be restless and take forever to go back to sleep. Needless to say, dh (and me) were not sleeping well because of this. So, one night after he awoke and fed and was not going back to sleep, I (out of despartation) decided to try putting him down in his crib (he is already use to it b/c he's in there for naps). That first night I did this, he only woke up twice. Both times I went into his room, feed him there and put him right back down. He fell back to sleep without a peep. Now, he's only usually waking up once. I feed him, change him, and he goes right back down. I've tried on nights when he's been real fussy to co-sleep again - and he just fusses more. He sleeps better and longer in his crib. It's not very AP, but its what works best for him. And I think its more important to tune into your child's needs. If he's sleeping better in his crib, then that's where I will put him down to sleep. I only figured it out once I tried, so I would say try it with your babe and see how he does.

HTH

ETA: I put ds down to nap / sleep while he's still awake. He's never been one to nurse to sleep. I've tried offering him the breast, but unless he's hungry - he's not interested.

Christine - mama to my 4 boys
#316 of 524 Old 03-21-2005, 02:37 PM

Thanks, Becca - I'll pass the link on to my dad!

#317 of 524 Old 03-21-2005, 04:31 PM

Ok, Kate is driving me crazy today. I can finally feel a tooth, but now she WILL NOT SLEEP...at all...Oh, sure, she's tired...and fussy...but WILL NOT sleep...and I just want a break...for more than 5 minutes...maybe a full hour! But it's just not gonna happen.

She has been "trying" to nap all day long....she's tired, rubbing her eyes, fussy...I nurse her, rock her to sleep, put her down...she's UP! 10 minutes later... I'm beat and it's only 1:30.
#318 of 524 Old 03-21-2005, 07:19 PM

Thanks Mama Bear for the sleep suggestions. I think that soon I will try going into his room with him and seeing if the crib sleeping works better for him. It could be that we're waking him up... I don't know. Right now he's so hard to lay down while asleep that I don't know if I could put him in his crib without him waking up... maybe if I left him alone for a little bit he'd sleep -- but so far he's cried and protested when he's alone for too long. We'll see how it goes.

Leomom -- Sounds so tiring! Will she sleep if you nurse her in bed sidelying? That's one of the only ways my ds naps! Then he'll sleep for an hour usually, while I sneak off.

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#319 of 524 Old 03-21-2005, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustineM
maybe if I left him alone for a little bit he'd sleep -- but so far he's cried and protested when he's alone for too long. We'll see how it goes.
Ds uses a paci to go to sleep. : If I just put him in the crib w/o it he would cry and fuss also. We started out using it b/c he had reflux when he was younger and the sucking helped him. Now, it's become a habit. Good thing is anyone can put him to sleep (b/c doesn't need to nurse) bad thing is how/when to wean him.

Christine - mama to my 4 boys
#320 of 524 Old 03-21-2005, 08:07 PM

Okay- here are the latest photos..

I am pre shower in these, and don't mind the naked 5yr old!

http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EegNXLNs0ZuHcw

#321 of 524 Old 03-21-2005, 09:26 PM

Sorry about the lack of sleep over at your house. It must be something in the air. Desi didn' take a nap today. And she too did the trying to nap.

Love the pics Becca! You did an awesome job on the pillow covers!
#322 of 524 Old 03-21-2005, 10:24 PM

Mama Bear--

Carter's makes fleece sleepers with feet. We found them at Baby Depot (burlington coat factory). Lulu (28 inches) squeezes into the 12 month size, and fits well into the 18 month size (she's got a LONG thin torso, so don't go by our sizing).

They were 8 bucks, on sale.

Also, the children's place (available online) makes some cotton sleepers with feet. We steer clear because the arms are so skinny, and even our thin baby doesn't fit easily into them.

For winter, we loved the "feeted" sleepers. But now that its warmer, and baby is older, we are leaning towards the feetless ones. Why? Cause they can have access to their toes!!!!!!!! Lulu loves to hold hers while nursing.
AND: she's starting to rumble and roll and "pre crawl" = MUCH easier without the feetsies covered up.

Liz

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#323 of 524 Old 03-22-2005, 12:01 AM

Great pictures, becca!

#324 of 524 Old 03-22-2005, 01:23 AM

Thanks mommas

Okay, question about feeding food to babies-
How much do you give, and when? Bryn is eating like a horse and it has started to worry me. I am afraid he loves food so much he might wean himself earlier due to love of food, I am not kidding. We had a friend who's baby ate anything, nonstop. We would joke about it, but now we have one, and I'm not sure what to do. I only let him eat after he has bf, and only once, maybe twice a day. But so far, everytime he has eaten about a cup of pureed food, and then nawed on whatever I am eating. And will eat more if didn't stop feeding it to him. Now I am wondering if I should take out bf certain times to let him eat? He still soly bf for naps and night time. Also if he is really upset. But during the day do you let him eat food for every meal you eat? We have no eating schedule, adn just eat when we are hungry, but when do I feed him?

#325 of 524 Old 03-22-2005, 02:11 AM

Bendmom, your kids (and you!) are adorable. I really like the photo of your baby with wide eyes!
#326 of 524 Old 03-22-2005, 02:20 AM

Thanks Bunsmom-nice to see you

#327 of 524 Old 03-22-2005, 10:25 AM

Becca, you guys are all so adorable! I love the pics.

As far as food goes, I haven't started Kate yet. I'm reading Super Baby Foods, and I have to admit that it is overwhelming me. I had no idea there were so many things to think about....from what I've read so far, it seems that food at this age should not replace breastmilk and is more about socialization. The book says to start with a couple of T. of food mixed with that much breastmilk....but I haven't read far enough to get to what we should be doing at 6 months...
#328 of 524 Old 03-22-2005, 10:34 AM

I don't know what to do with soilds either. We gave her a bit of banannas on Sunday to see if she was ready. I was eating spagetti and she kept reaching out for my food. She took the bananna really well. She seemed to really like it. It didn't constipate her. We'll probably give it to her once a week now. I think along as Aiden is still nursing he won't wean early.
#329 of 524 Old 03-22-2005, 02:51 PM

Cynthia- looks like you were up early

I should correct myself. He doesn't eat a cup as in a measuring cup. It's a tiny baby cup. I guess I'm pretty easy going in someways, so if my children want something I try to hold back, but end up caving in the end.(can we say pushover?) Anyway, I keep thinking that I should go get that book, But I have so many I have to wonder if I'm doing everything *by the book*, or if I should start doing more based on intuition.

Anyway, I actually have to work today for the first time in about 3 weeks as I cannot find a decent employee(or am I just lazy), so Hans gets the boys for a few hours. Wonder what the house will look like when I come back. Oh, here is my new website if you want to check it out and give me some feedback. I would like to put pics of the boys and family on the About Us page, but have to Hans do it because he designed(for the most part)it.
www.centraloregoncleaning.net

#330 of 524 Old 03-22-2005, 03:39 PM

super baby food is a great book but a daunting read because she sends you all over the place. you can't get through a paragraph w/o going back to pg 60 to check this, up to page 259 to check that... however, there is a really good section of "feeding your super baby at [x] months" where she lists the foods recommended for that month and how best to prepare them. She also indicates what a serving is and how much to feed your baby, as well as gives "meal plans" for the day. At this age I think they should be eating 2 meals a day max with 2 kinds of food per meal. Tristan has one meal right after his morning nap (which he's conveniently not taking right this very instant! ) of rice cereal and whatever food we're on at the moment - right now it's sweet potato which he loves like crazy. He ate a lot of it yesterday but it didn't spoil his appetite for nursing afterwards. Sometimes he gets a little more rice cereal in the evening but not always. Right now we're all about trying out new foods and seeing how his body reacts to them.

I swear, if he *&$*ing spits up one more time I'm going to blow a *#(@ing gasket. Of course you all didn't notice but I just took a 15-minute break to change both his outfit and socks and my jeans as he horked up a ton of half-digested milk. Now that he's nice and clean and dry, he just did it again. When is he going to grow out of this?!!!!!!

I'm not going to apologize for my profanity, there, because I needed to get it out and it's driving me absolutely bonkers. Besides, everyone can fill in their own &#*! and not be offended by their own choice.

(In the meantime - I started this post 2 hours ago - I blew a couple of gaskets but was pleased to see the mailman arrive with my birthday package from my MIL - two books I wanted - along with my copy of the German parenting mag I subscribe to. And Tristan finally went down for a nap. May he sleep a while.)

j

eta: if your baby wants food... would seem to me that you ought to feed him. At this age, want = need!

etaa (edited to also add): Becca I'd totally hire you! We couldn't find a cleaning service here in the Twin Cities to suit us. My mom wanted to pay for a cleaning service for a few months as a shower gift.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page