September 2004 Mamas - March Thread - Our babies are 6 months already!!! - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-24-2005, 03:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
AugustineM -- definitely the same temperment as Andrew. He is always intense, always "on", there is never a break! When I took him to see my family, my sister nicknamed him the "uberbaby" :LOL

I think I have read in a couple of books that babies do wake more when they are accomplishing milestones, so since all our babes are flying through the whole sitting / rolling / crawling stuff, that probably accounts for all the waking. Plus teeth.

I agree that things should be cleaned when lent out, although I gladly took my friend's excersaucer even though it was covered in graham cracker mush.

We are still using the ring sling, only in the hip carry now. It is a padded ring sling, made by jellybean baby. I find it helps to wear it with the rings on my back and the padded part across my chest. That way the rings fall nicely between my shoulder blades and don't bother me. OH, baby woke. Bye.

Jill , mom to Andrew (09/04), Aaron(01/07), and Emma (11/09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2005, 04:15 AM

chatty bunch!

I was out of town, so will try to catch up and respond to as much as I can:

Stacey, both pictures would be helpful, thanks!
- the babies are starting to sleep a little longer again, but only after I started buckling them into their car seats to sleep again. I think their stuffy teething noses are making them wake up more. And McKenna forgot how to suck her thumb, which had been really helpful, ack!
- they are so mobile! and very grabby. this weekend at my mom's they found new tricks... mcKenna likes to drink from a cup, and William discovered it's great fun to rip to shreds a paper napkin. My family bought them a bunch of cute coordinating outfits for spring.
- William dumped a bowl of cereal all over me just last week!
- I mostly use my gauze wrap sling. I also like my ring sling, but the fabric is kindof hard to pull through the rings still.
- welcome, Thor's mommy!
-congrats on the diapers, Julie!
- congrats on the new web site, bendmom. And 40 to sweep is quite a deal for you! he he

OK, I can't remember the rest. Oh, Jen, it's so cool that you're speaking to T in German. I have given up on nagging and hinting and suggesting to dh (whose mother is Italian and he speaks it fluently) that he speak to our kids in Italian. So now and then when I remember, they hear a few words that I know.

Gotta run. Sleep beckons.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:29 AM

One more thing... we also decided to delay vax when we learned there were reasons not to vax. I have a couple of books but haven't read them through, and haven't done LOADS of internet research; but we got just enough info to make us not want to pursue the shot schedule, knowing we didn't have to. We just canceled our 6 month visit too, but it was more because our insurance is set up weird and we were going to pay $450 to have our two babies weighed and measured. HA!
Old 03-24-2005, 05:09 AM

When Chloë was little I had a Maya Wrap ring sling that I wore her in until she was 3 y.o. Now I've transitioned to a pouch, I actually make them, it's a new business for me, and it is really picking up. So far everyone has LOVED their pouch, yay! I absolutely love my pouch, much more than the Maya Wrap, I like not having an rings. Before the Maya Wrap I had an OTSBH which was my least favorite of all, I wasn't into all the padding. I changed to a pouch because I didn't want the fuss of a ring sling and also I like that I can flip her all around in it and not worry about the rings digging into my shoulder or boob. We are having to change the way she is in the pouch which is a bit sad. She is so long now that she doesn't fit really well in our modified cradle hold (modified because she sits upright. So instead of laying down in that position, she is sitting which her back supported by the pouch). She is mostly on my hip now.

CatskillMtnMama -- That is a pretty funny story about her spitting up into a pair of shoes :LOL

LaRue's six month appt. is on Monday, her six month birthday. I'm so conflicted with vaccinations. I'm definitely against the standard vaccination schedule, but it's a tough call to make either way with selective/delayed vaccinations or no vaccinations. But the plan is for her to have her first DTaP.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:10 PM

Thanks for the info on the slinging! I wish I had known that there were dif styles out there when I had Aidan. I was given a size large fully padded one back then and it was way to much for my 5-5frame, and Hans ended up using it instead. I bought one when Bryn was born and it was the same type. I traded it in. I had no idea that you could get them with out all that padding, and that the padding was for infants anyway. We had to run some errands last night and I had Bryn in the sling both places and it was great, he was on my hip. I think it is home made, and has kinda a pouch seam towards the ring, does that make it a pouch sling? Maybe I should check out one of these sites on the flashing ads...

Oooh, shredded paper... :LOL It is still snowing hard out and I am having flash backs of Cabin Fever back home. We used to Ice Skate in the street and x-country ski around the house back in Alaska. I am not sure if it would be to cold to put Bryn in the sled we have that has runners on the bottom for classic ski grooves, hmm. He is in his exercauser and has a million toys piled on it. He takes about 5-10 min to throw every one off, but until then I have time on the computer.

FF- forgot to say that I am sorry about everyone being sick. We just went through all that pretty hard core too. I have heard good things about that Airborn supplement, has anyone tried it?

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
Old 03-24-2005, 02:23 PM

We are undecided on vaxes. Leaning to selective and very delayed. I think we are doing the Hib when she starts school. And then wait to do chicken pox and german measles if she hasn't had them by the time she is a teenager. Thats about the only ones I will do I think. The german measles only because she is a girl.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:36 PM

Savannah- Glad to hear your trip was nice, how did your auctions go?

We are vax informed, but still decided to do them all as we travel across Canadian border( they have hassled about dog and kids)d and for school, etc. I think Hans really wanted them to be vaxd, but we didn't want circ, pretty firm on that one.

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
Old 03-24-2005, 02:48 PM

What my very informed dr told me about vaccinations:

1. Hib, pneumococcal conjugate, and Hep b are really only necessary if your child attends daycare or is exposed to large groups of children where germs are spread around handily or may be exposed to others' body fluids. Hep b is also recommendable if there is a Hep b + family member.

2. You can wait until late childhood or teenagerhood to give chicken pox in the hopes that the child will contract a wild strain prior to then, but don't wait too long, because it can be much harsher to older teens and adults.

3. The rubella vaccine began to be administered to young children primarily for the protection of pregnant women. Rubella can cause a fetus to be born deaf, blind, with heart defects or with other forms of disability. Rubella itself is a relatively mild childhood disease and one bout of it confers lifelong immunity. Unfortunately, children may be infected with it and shedding it well before they begin showing symptoms of illness, which means that confining your child when they are sick does not provide protection to any pregnant women, although most women getting pregnant nowadays have been vaccinated as children or are vaccinated very early in their pregnancies if they are neg for rubella antibodies. If a woman has not yet had rubella by the time she is considering having children, she can receive the vaccine then.

4. This is arguable - and I am not taking sides, I am merely informing you of what my dr gives as her opinion - she is supportive of people everywhere on the vaccination spectrum - but she says: it is easier and much less traumatic to give a shot to a baby and then nurse them for comfort for a little while than to hold down a screaming toddler.

--

I am having a morning to myself, Jo has T at work. I am going to go pick up friend + baby (Steph and Oscar) at the airport in about 1/2 hour, and dumb me, haven't gotten a single solitary errand done, but I did make pancakes and read the paper. And tell you what I know about vaccines. Now I am going to take a shower sans audience and put on my new thrift store cashmere sweater while I have a few spit-up free hours. Can you believe it? A cashmere sweater at the thrift store for $19!

j

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
Old 03-24-2005, 03:28 PM

Oh, and I forgot to thank everyone for the well wishes. Thanks, luckily we all seem to be feeling a bit better today, functional.

Bendmom -- A pouch is generally a baby carrier without rings, a sling generally has rings. Here are a few links to the different kinds of slings.

Here's the Maya Wrap, which is an unpadded ring sling. http://mayawrap.com/p_mayawrap.php

Here is my original sling, which is padded, I personally didn't like it because it was just too much padding and I didn't like that it could only tighten up so much, but some people like them.
http://www.otsbh.net/slings/slings.html

Then there are two types of pouches, adjustable pouches with either zippers or snaps, or non-adjustable pouches (which is the kind I have, very simple and easy).

Here is the Maya Wrap adjustable pouch.
http://mayawrap.com/p_mwpouch.php

Here is a Hotsling which is non-adjustable.
http://hotslings.com/

There is also the New Native pouch, which is pretty well known.
http://www.newnativebaby.com/

I've heard a lot of good things about hotslings on Mothering, but my friend who bought one said that the opening was too tight and her and her daughter are both very small Also, the key to getting a non-adjustable pouch is too make sure it's the right size, when it's too big or too small it just isn't right, but when it's the right size, it's perfect.

Then there are so many other kinds of baby carriers out there, and of course, my links only show a small portion of companies that make slings and pouches. Here is a link to a website that has all different kinds of baby carriers.

http://store.peppermint.com/baby-slings-by-name.html

Wow, I'm sure that was more than anybody every wanted to know, but there you go.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:47 PM

Thanks FF

The one I found is DEFINATELY home made. It has giant rings and the is kinda Maya style, but the fabric that you pull through is all sewn together so you don't have all that fabric hanging out. I think that is one of the things that I didn't like about the one's that I had. It just seemed, to much kwim? This one seems to be made out of very soft moleskin, and I am tempted to take it apart and make some myself, but dh has suggested that I not, since everytime I think I could *do it myself* and sell them, I end up with an unfinished project sitting in the closet :

Jen- I'm jealouse that you get to wear something nice. I just can't risk it with his spitting/puking. I bought a couple of little bibs last night and put one on him this morning, he freaked! I bought some with these really bright fabric frogs on them and he gets really angry because he can't get it off I should have known better. But all the bibs I could find had "little slugger" or some sort of group sport related sayng or picture on them : . I'm tempted to make some with " future snowboarder/skateboarder/mountainbiker". Is it to early to make political sports statements on children

Old 03-24-2005, 03:58 PM

ff, I was hoping you'd post a link to the slings you've been making!....????
Old 03-24-2005, 04:03 PM

FF, so where's the link to your pouches

Vaxing is such a hard decision! I spent days in the vax forum M was a newborn. We have ended up vaxing both girls, but think that mamas who don't vax have made an equally as valid choice.

I have a hotsling, which I love, an Ergo, which I love, an OTSBH which I feel pretty lukewarm about. I had a ellaroo wrap, which was great, but I sold it to buy dipes.

DD1 (8yrs) + DD2 (6yrs) + DS1 (4/25/11) = one crazy adventure!
Old 03-24-2005, 04:04 PM

Lol, Savannah, we had the same idea about FF's pouches!

Old 03-24-2005, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrog
ff, I was hoping you'd post a link to the slings you've been making!....????
I want to know also!!!

Christine - mama to my 4 boys
Old 03-24-2005, 04:07 PM

Oh, and this site is an awesome comprehensive baby wearing site!

Old 03-24-2005, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendmom
This one seems to be made out of very soft moleskin, and I am tempted to take it apart and make some myself, but dh has suggested that I not, since everytime I think I could *do it myself* and sell them, I end up with an unfinished project sitting in the closet :

and

But all the bibs I could find had "little slugger" or some sort of group sport related sayng or picture on them : . I'm tempted to make some with " future snowboarder/skateboarder/mountainbiker". Is it to early to make political sports statements on children
Hi Bendmom! I am always trying to do things myself or make things...alas, I rarely complete a project.

Yeah, make your own bibs, could you scan something on your computer and then use those iron on transfer sheets? Maybe something cool like Elvis Costello or the Ramones (just my preferences!), or print up your own saying like above.

MIL bought DD a bib that has a sports team, MALE sports team. I would have been o.k. with a female BB team, but nooooo. MIL is very weird about the things she buys DD. Bought her a boys little carters thing that goes over the whole outfit, it is blue and has doggie ears, super cute but it was obviously for a boy and she said "I don't like pink" to which I WANTED to say "but your not wearing it". My Mom was very sweet and went and bought her one in pink. I really don't have a gender issue, it is just if I don't dress DD in something that is pink, I get the whole "what a cute boy" and I get sick of it.

I also don't like any logos on DD clothes (or mine for that matter) and no way and I going to give a sports team even MORE free advertising.

There are some onesies I saw advertised that say "future feminist" and I do want to get DD one of those!

Thinking of getting a wrap, I have two fleece pouches from Kangaroo Korner, but it is getting too warm for that, and I have a mai tei that I LOVE, but would like one more option. I also have a lightweight pouch, sort of like a native carrier, but DD will only stay in it for a very short period.

Hope everyone has a really wonderful day.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:35 PM

Bunsmom -- I've seen some baby clothes that say "Already a feminist" which I thought was really cute.

Oh, I did a search for the "already a feminist" and the company that made them has closed down.

Well, I don't have a website yet. I'm slightly overwhelmed at the thought of making a website, while sewing all the pouches that need to be sewn. But here are a few pictures of them.

http://images.snapfish.com/34348%3B9...C4639%3Bot1lsi

The Japanese-esque flower one is mine, it's reversible, the other side is a super soft black brushed cotton (most of my pouches are reversible, with a print on one side and a solid color on the other). The one next to mine is my partner's, the fabric is of '50s style tattoo art. The polkadot is one that a customer ordered, the other side is a a brown brushed cotton.

Here is the first pouch I made, I was pregnant with LaRue at the time.
http://images.snapfish.com/34348%3B9...6958%3B3ot1lsi

And here is a picture of a pouch I made for Chloë. I made it out of a stretchy cotton knit, that way it's easy for her to take it off and put it on, plus baby dolls of all sizes can fit in it.
http://images.snapfish.com/34348%3B9...C465%3A7ot1lsi
Old 03-24-2005, 05:13 PM

FF- What a hottie! The slings too. I love the fabrics. Have you gone to AP stores to sell them through? Those are really cute/modern.

I always thought if I had a girl I would dress her in t-shirts and jeans, cuz that's what I wear. But when I got preg. and before we found out what it was I went and bought all these dresses : like Hannas. Good Lord, maybe it's a good thing I had boys.

Bunsmom- We have a friend who owns a t-shirt company and sells them through Urban Outfitters and he had some copyright issues in the beginning w/ using music group stuff. Otherwise my kids would be wairing homemade Mary's Danish or Screaming Trees, Maybe some Frank Black? I'll bet with the Romones you could just put his silohette(sp?) on there and those in the know would get it.

Old 03-24-2005, 06:00 PM

Very nice slings, FF - love the materials!

Old 03-24-2005, 07:21 PM

Have I mentioned these slings?

http://www.thumbelinababy.com/snugglesack.htm

I drool over them - I think they are so pretty, but my dh would never let me pay the price they are charging for them!
Old 03-24-2005, 07:46 PM

OOOhhh....Pretty....

Old 03-24-2005, 08:13 PM

nak

ff-thanks for the info. That is better than future feminist. Love the photo of you and your babe, great slings too!

bendmom-Thanks for the head's up on that. I don't know who those groups are. I am an old lady

Today is a mellow day. DD ate a little bit of banana but then had two really runny poops...hmmm. She doesn't eat much solid food, but seemed more into today than before. She finally, finally, finally is falling asleep, and then we are going to take a walk. When DH gets home we are going to run errands/get groceries.

DH is taking the next week off so we can get some things done around here. Tomorrow night we are having my closest GF and her partner over for dinner. Then getting ready for Easter on Saturday. I need to make everything we are going to bring and set everything out etc..or we will never make it out the door in time. My parents live over an hour away and we are always late I am going to try (with DH's Help) to get out of here on time on Sunday!

What are you mamas doing for Easter? We normally don't celebrate since we are not religious, but now that DD is here we will take her to see her GPs.

Have a great one!
Old 03-24-2005, 09:41 PM

Wait, those groups have been around for awhile, I feel old because I never hear them on the radio anymore.

We have always driven up to dh parents house up in the Silver Valley in Northen Idaho, his sister brings our nephew from Seattle who is 6 and they have an egg hunt around the yard, then after they get all the eggs they come in and their baskets are on the table. We make sandwiches out of the eggs and then overload on chocolate(the adults). I feel no real need to take the family to church since the whole thing is so Paganistic I would rather it be about family and rejuvination of mother nature than a man who was beaten, nailed to death and then rises from the dead, a bit to much for children IMO.

Old 03-24-2005, 09:49 PM

About slings -- I've been thinking about getting a hip hammock of some kind. One Step Ahead makes them, but there is also a company that makes them out of hemp. Anyone have one of these or know about them? My babe is too big for the snugli anymore and I have a Nojo sling but he doesn't like having his legs confined...

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
Old 03-24-2005, 10:17 PM

Those Thumbelina pouches are gorgeous!!! I am drooling.....but think of how many diapers I could get for that price....:LOL

For Easter, we usually go to service (which we do every week regardless of holidays) and then have a large family meal. But, since we are no longer living by family (moved away in Summer 2003), we'll just have a nice dinner at home with our little family.

Old 03-24-2005, 11:23 PM

Thank you Jen for telling me about this. Our ped suggested (because of Lulu's throwing up and slow weight gain -- she's shy of 16 pounds but very long, only gained 3 oz last month) formula thickened with rice cereal to keep the food in a little better.

My DH and I just had a nasty little tiff about the formula. He's on vacation and I requested that he offer it to DD once a day so we can try the ped's suggestion. Also, her taking formula would be a VERY nice backup/ emergency thing for me. DH failed to do so so far (vacation's half over) and then got mad at me for being upset. Yes, I know I could learn to pump (my efforts were pathetic so far, like one ounce at a time...) better, but when??? I sometimes don't even get a chance to shower or return phone calls!

Turns out, he remembers Nestle's brutality towards third world moms (give them free formula so they wean, then charge them unaffordable prices for formula... babies starve). He says that is why he wasn't giving Lulu the formula. Unconsciously.

I am not sure that is the whole story... but anyway...

I think we all would feel better with organic. 'Specially Lulu! The Woodstock health food store sells it apparently.

Thanks again.

Kids. I got two of 'em.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:46 PM

Hi Mamas!

I haven't had a chance to read all the posts, but wanted to subscribe. Zeke was born September 1, and he joins Owen (4) and Zoey (almost 3). He is truly the sweetest baby I have ever experienced! He just snuggles all the time and loves to be close. His sense of humor is really starting to emerge. I melt when he starts to laugh!

Well, I look forward to getting to know every one! Can't beleive I haven't subscribes yet!
Old 03-25-2005, 01:04 AM

Welcome Kristin!!!

Old 03-25-2005, 02:05 AM

Ashley - my friend has a hip sling and loves it, I will ask her where she ordered it from, I can't remember the name of the company right now, it's a WAHM business. btw - I love Thor's name. That's a big name to live up to!! :LOL

j

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
Old 03-25-2005, 02:13 AM

FF - gorgeous pouch slings! I love the fabric and patterns!

Jill , mom to Andrew (09/04), Aaron(01/07), and Emma (11/09)

User Tag List