September 2004 Mamas - March Thread - Our babies are 6 months already!!! - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-29-2005, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow it sure is dark and stormy here... has been for the past week or so. Wish it was nice outside like it is where you are MamaAcorn so I could go for a walk. I'm sick , too, so ugh... there's my complaining for the day!

This morning I noticed that Thor has his third tooth, but it's really weird because it's not one of his top two front teeth, it's like the one right next to the top front left tooth. Not his eyetooth, but the one next to it. It's hard to explain. But since he got his front bottom teeth both at the same time at 4 1/2 months, I though he'd get his front top teeth together too. I don't even feel them yet! He'll look pretty funny with one tooth off to the side. I'll have to take a picture if it turns out that way.

Man, it's POURING here now. Thor's napping, maybe I'll try to.

BTW anyone have more intense cravings for sweets now than they did before they were pregnant? I swear, I can't get enough chocolate : .... and I wasn't like that before!

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2005, 08:17 PM

Ashley - I hear you on the chocolate! I've always had a sweet tooth, but could take or leave chocolate. Now I can't get enough chocolate...
Old 03-29-2005, 09:04 PM

LOL I'm sitting here reading these with a fudgesicle in hand...
Old 03-29-2005, 09:47 PM

Sistermama-- Just looked at your pics. Lucy Lu is SUCH a sweet thing!!

Old 03-29-2005, 10:19 PM

www.couponcabin.com has percents off for OneStepAhead, and I was at Wal-Mart last night and saw one there, but it didn't screw in, and looked like if babe sucked to hard the whole thing might pop off.

Those pics are so cute! Last night I sat Bryn down and put his legs out far to balance him and he sat by himself, I'm yelling at Hans who is 4 feet away "GET THE CAMERA! GET THE CAMERA!" Plop, he fell over. I got a pic of the side of his butt .

Bryn was only 17 pounds when I took him in the other week, but he is kinda long, so I don't really give a @*^% : about the charts. All I know is, I bought 2 Bumkins AIO size medium the other day and he doesn't fit them comfortably. Off to order larges.

I was up all night last night because I am worried that my milk is drying up. I tried to pump yesterday morning and again at night because that is when I feel I am full. I got MAYBE 2 ounces. All night I paid attention to when he ate and I felt nothing come in. He is obviously gaining weight, but I started to think about how he never really wants to eat and I am wondering if it's because I don't get enough milk. If he latches on and sees that there is nothing there, he pops off. I went off caffiene (today) and I guess I will start up on the mother's milk tea, but I was told that for milk you need Hops, and this tea doesn't have it, and seems that this tea will only make my milk come in because I am taking the time to sit and drink it, also the water in the tea would hydrate? I'm so confused!

Bryn just woke up so I will catch up later!

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
Old 03-30-2005, 12:16 AM

It was a beautiful day today so the boys and I met up for a playdate at the park. Several of the moms "oohed and ahhed" over my new Ellaroo wrap. I love it! Now to work on getting David onto my back. Sarah any tips?

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
Old 03-30-2005, 12:21 AM

Becca - the latching on and off is VERY common for babies the age of ours. They know now that there is such a fascinating world out there beyond our breasts! I have noticed with Lucy, that she is now nursing much more often, but for only little bits at a time. Have you noticed this, too? As long as Bryn is having at least 6 wet dipes a day (and you aren't giving him water) than you know that he is getting enough milk.

Also, with the pumping, what you can pump in NO WAY relates to the amount of milk in your breast. I was going to post tonight to bitch about how much I HATE pumping. I never get more than two ounces at a time, but Jack was 20 lbs by the time he was six months old. Thank God I don't have to pump for Lu like I did for Jack. For her, I only need it for cereal and emergency.

For the tea, hops is one substance that acts as a galactagogue (any substance that increases your supply), but you won't find it in tea. I bet your tea has blessed thistle and fenugreek among other things in it. You can also take blessed thistle and fenugreek in capsule form, which for me was easier than drinking 4 cups of tea a day. I bet that your supply is just fine though.

Check out this great site -
Kellymom
I bet you feel a lot better after you read this page.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjohnson
my new Ellaroo wrap. I love it! Now to work on getting David onto my back. Sarah any tips?
I like using this way to get Lucy up onto my back, then I go onto a Tibetan carry. I find that this carry offers Lucy the most stability. I will probably use a back cross carry when she is a little bit older.

Do you like your Ellaroo? I want one! (But then I want one of every wrap ever made)

Hey Heather, you were my thousandth post! Hope you feel special!
Old 03-30-2005, 12:55 AM

I can't believe Miles is six mos! I thought that was old awhile ago! I posted some new (adorable) pics of him in my sig. today. Check out!

So at his checkup (at which I got crap for him waking at night- and I even lied and said he only got up once) he weighed 18 lbs. 4 oz. and the doctor was a little worried, since that's only 50th % (doesn't seem right?!) and he's been in the 75th -80th before. He is 26 in. is that short? I thought he was big for his age, I guess not!

Anyway, I just kind or ignore the doctor. We just go in to please the insurance co.

I also reccomend fuzzi bunz (like who doesn't) and also have liked Wonderoos a lot.

Busy mama to 4 boys, M 9/04, E 4/06, our angel baby N (passed 10/09 at 1 day old) & newbie C, 12/10
Old 03-30-2005, 01:33 AM

Miles is precious!
Stacey~ Thanks for the reminder of me not worrying. I'm not that worried. Her head is still getting bigger and so is her height. She has lots of wet diapers still.
Its annoying how much doctors pay attention to growth charts.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:03 AM

Kinsey, there is no way that fine little chunk is in the 50th percentile! Man, those are super pictures. And that 3 month one of him standing in Daddy's hand is really cool. I especially love his 6 month pictures with the jacket and tie...

Heather, I finally met with my slinging friend today and got a lesson in back carries! And we finally put both babies on me; in two Maya slings. My friend is quite disdainful of padded ring slings, so I didn't get to play with my Nojo or the new AWESOMELY BEAUTIFUL tie dye OTSBH Extravagant Love Sling... and I didn't try that two=babies-in=one carry with my gauze sling. But man, my back was tired carrying both before too long!

I have to post the pictures I took of the twins in their little Easter duds. But ... must ... go ... sew ... (I love that kind of typing. I stole it from Anna Banana) =O)
Old 03-30-2005, 02:04 AM

Just wanted to check in and let you guys know that we're still alive, kicking and waiting impatiently for Spring.

For some reason, I can't seem to stay subscribed to this thread. It's driving me INSANE.

I read constantly, and keep all the babes in our thoughts and meditations every day, but it's a rare treat to have hands free to type. Especially since Anna has recently become addicted to the "cick, cick"-errr, the click, click of the keyboard.

~L
Old 03-30-2005, 02:38 AM

Thanks everyone for your kind words about my cute babes! There are lots of cute babes around here!!!
Old 03-30-2005, 03:31 AM

NAK

Sistermama- Bryn eats hardly at all. The world is just to fascinating right now. He only wants to eat when he tired. I tried to give him bm mixed with cereal and he HATED it. Ate a whole bowl of sweet potato though. That's my baby, only eat the sweet stuff!

How do you carry twins? do you always have them in a stroller? I would.OOh, office is on, gotta go, cute pics!

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
Old 03-30-2005, 06:16 AM

I'm glad to hear that LaRue isn't the only one not nursing much. LaRue only nurses when she is tired too, about every 3 hours. It's just weird to me because Chloë nursed all the time, hourly. No wonder LaRue is so much smaller! LaRue is so interested in food though, anytime I eat anything, she wants it, she just stares at me eating the whole time. Then if I hold out a spoon of food or food on my finger she gets so excited and opens her mouth all wide. I don't think she is going to be picky, she seems to like everything so far, including eggless tofu salad, which has a pretty strong taste. Actually her trying everything, has gotten Chloë to be more adventurous with food.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:10 PM

Good morning! Raney, too, is less interested in nursing and more interested in food than her sister was.

Great pics, everyone! I think all these peds saying our babies are too small are full of...um, no profanity, right? :LOL Our ped's never said a thing - I think Raney is like 80th for height and 30th for weight or something...

I second sistermama's recomendation of mamatoto.org for carrying suggestions - that sight rocks!

Still haven't heard from dp - grrr. Thanks for the hugs, leomom Guess he's too busy being a rock-n-roller to call his WIFE and let her know he's still alive....:

Have a great day, all.

DD1 (8yrs) + DD2 (6yrs) + DS1 (4/25/11) = one crazy adventure!
Old 03-30-2005, 12:28 PM

Bhavani has cut back a lot on nursing, too, and on the length of nursing sessions as well--just too busy checking out the world, I guess. She's right around Kate's size, Stacey. Shankar was a little smaller, and Leela was about 3.5 lbs heavier and an inch or two shorter--interesting how many different sizes babies come in. My other two gained only about 2 lbs. from 6-12 months. Shankar was only 15-16 lbs. at a year (he was low birth weight and remains small), Leela was maybe 19.5 or 20 (18 at 6 months). She actually lost a half a pound around 9 months; she was just incredibly active. If Bhavani follows their patten I expect her to be around 17-18 lbs. at a year. I was looking at Bhavani's 3 month photos the other day and can see that she's already slimming down a little--she's never been particularly chubby, but her belly was rounder than it is now. Her cheeks are really chubby, though, which makes her look rounder than she actually is.

Such cute, cute pictures, mamas! I need to post some new ones. We really need to get some prints! All of ours are on the computer still, thousands of them. Has anyone used winkflash.com for prints? What online digital photo printing services have you been happy with?

Yesterday I went to a friend's house and used her sewing machine. Mine is broken. I've had this little Taggies-type toy cut out and pinned for months, and finally got to sew it together. Bhavani loves it--it's a triangle of fleece with 3 different tags (ribbons) sewn into each side. My friend's machine was SO much better than mine, and old White that belonged to her great aunt, very heavy and sturdy and sews like a dream. It made me want to get my machine fixed and start sewing again. Actually, it make me want a really good machine like hers, but I think Whites are pretty pricey.

Does anyone use Sugarplum Baby diapers? I love them! I got 8 of them (6 hemp, two cotton) in a large lot of dipes I bought on the TP, and they're so absorbent and soft. I also love the Luke's Drawers that came in the lot. I'm loving the TP--great deals! I'm waiting on a Lucy's Hope Chest fitted--5 bucks, ppd, for an almost new diaper.

Have a fabulous day, everyone!

Heather

Heather, Mama to DS(10) DD(7.5),DD(6)
Old 03-30-2005, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeministFatale
LaRue only nurses when she is tired too, about every 3 hours. It's just weird to me because Chloë nursed all the time, hourly. No wonder LaRue is so much smaller! LaRue is so interested in food though, anytime I eat anything, she wants it, she just stares at me eating the whole time. Then if I hold out a spoon of food or food on my finger she gets so excited and opens her mouth all wide.
I have thought about this too. Aidan ate all day, day and night. He was a huge baby, upper 90% on the charts for years. He also did not have the stimulation of another sibling to peak his interest, and ate to fill the space, I think. I wonder if there is a study done on younger bf siblings being smaller than the first. That would be interesting and put my mind at ease. Sometimes I'm worried that Bryn is small because I don't feed him enough, but then when I do he just rips off, so I guess it's just normal.

If anyone is inerested I have two brand new bumkins AIO prints that I would sell for $18 ppd (for both). They are 12-22 and he only wore them 3 times with a liner. Sorry to spam the group, but Ebay is just to time consuming.

Alright , Bryn is just to wiggly to keep typing. Catch up to you moms later!
(Sarah)-Dh does the same when he goes out of town. He says talking to me breaks his concentration

Old 03-30-2005, 03:30 PM

Thor is a big baby (20 lbs and 30 inches) but rarely nurses for more than 5 minutes at a time every 2-3 hours. And he only nurses to where I feel letdown and I hear his big gulps, about 2 or 3 times a day (usually right before he sleeps for the night). Otherwise I never feel letdown anymore (it used to hurt!!) and it seems like he just snacks. And he's not very interested in solids either, though he will eat about once a day. My midwife told me that by 6 months our breasts are so efficient at delivering milk and the babies are so efficient at drinking it that often many women think they aren't producing as much anymore, because we quit feeling letdown and the babies are done so quickly. She said this is a reason that many women start using formula and quit breastfeeding around 6 mo. Interesting!! And I can't pump more than 2 ounces at a time either, partly because I HATE pumping... but I know I have adequate milk supply. Breasts are just such mysterious milk producing machines.... It amazes me all the time... I feel so lucky to be a woman and a mother and have the power to feed my child!

BTW Heather, I have used Photoworks.com and Yahoo.com photos for digital prints. I like both of them, but I think Photoworks.com has more options. Also, they give you free prints and a free photo book when you sign up. I think shutterfly.com is pretty good too.

Old 03-30-2005, 03:42 PM

Ok, I started Kate on soilds last Friday...avaocado...she seemed to really like it the 1st night...2nd night she wouldnt touch it...so I gave her a little multi-grain cereal...and she lapped it up...next night, not so much...next night, a little less. What does this mean? Is she not ready for solids?

Another thought...I was feeding her in the evening b/c dh is home then and likes to feed her, but it's also her fussy time. Could she be too fussy/tired to mess with food then? Should I try earlier?

TIA!
Old 03-30-2005, 03:52 PM

Ashley- that's exactly what is going on here, make me feel better Especially about the pumping.

When ever I give Bryn food in the evening and he gets upset/fussy, I put him in the bath and he has a total mood change. Plus it wears him out and he passes out imediately after. I almost prefer feeding him later and bathing because it means I can get to sleep sooner

Old 03-30-2005, 04:49 PM

Bendmom, Kate also goes in the bath right after eating and loves it. I guess my question is, should I not be feeding her this late because she gets fussy? Or is she fussy because she isn't ready for solids?

Right now, here's out late afternoon/evening routine:

(She usually takes a nap at 4 and is up by 5)
5:00 Bfding
5:45 Solids
6:00 Naked Play Time
6:30 Bath
7:00 Nurse/Bedtime

Everything works really well except the solids time.....
Old 03-30-2005, 05:09 PM

Hard to tell if I have increased chocolate cravings -- I've always been a chocaholic. But I have come up with a great solution for satiating the craving while not killing my attempts to finish losing my baby weight. I buy one super dark chocolate (like 70% coaco) bar and break it up into 1" squares. I find that it is such rich chocolate that one of those a day is enough. And maybe some hot chocolate before bed.
Andrew is nursing less, although for him this means he no longer nurses every 45 min. or hour, but more like 1 1/2 - 2 hrs apart. I have never really felt let down or been able to pump much more than 1 1/2 oz of milk, but he is growing like a weed so I'm not worried. I did notice that my breasts got smaller this week, though. I guess my body is finally starting to go back to "normal" which is not really an accurate description because it's a lot different than it was before.
Andrew is also really irregular with solids -- some days he'll eat half a banana and a bunch of Cheerios (gave up on rice ceral entirely and decided that since Cheerios are whole grain oats and only have "sugar" not glucose, fructose, corn syrup, etc, etc they are ok. Also trying rice cakes), other days he just wants to play with the spoon and whatever's on it. I have found that he's more likely to eat in the early afternoon or when I'm having breakfast than at other times. But DR Sears says to expect babies to be irregular eaters, so I'm not too worried. I'll check with the health nurse next week when we go for our vax / weigh in.
Andrew has started bellowing when he gets excited. Not screaming, but just this really loud belly "ooooooohohohohoho". It's really funny, but I try not to laugh too hard because I imagine that two months from now it will start to get on my nerves if I've encouraged it. :LOL
Cute babies, everyone! I love the pics of the baby with the big tie and jacket! I don't have a digital camera (dh and I had a 386 until '97 or so -- we're slight ludites), but we're thinking of getting one and when we do I'll post pics.
We finally have weather above zero (celsius) so I"m going to take Andrew out for a walk! Yay! I'm not going to say winter is over because all the naitives seem reticent to say this is spring. But I"m excited to get out while the weather lasts!
Hope you're all having a good day, mamas!

Jill , mom to Andrew (09/04), Aaron(01/07), and Emma (11/09)
Old 03-30-2005, 06:17 PM

Hey Stacey- With Aidan he was just never into food and fussy everytime I gave it to him. Since he wasn't eating fine during the day but fussy at night with it, just fussy about it all day, I quit and waited till he was able to go for what he wanted. He ended up not eating solids until around 9-10 months. That why I figured I would wait that long with Bryn. I thought that's how all babes were Bryn will eat food even if he is upset. It's the most rediculous thing to watch too. He will be yelling and fussy, but open his mouth and root as soon as he sees the spoon :LOL , so maybe yours is just not quite ready? Babes should really come with a manual.

Iam sooo excited!!!! I just recieved a call from the host of a local talk show host. She found my website and liked it so much she wants me to come on her show and talk about spring cleaning! I'm really nervous and need to come up with tips and what to deep clean, de clutter for spring cleaning. She wants to focus on closets, entryways, stuff like that. I need to figure out what to do with Bryn as well since Hans will be out of town. I can have Aidan go to a friend's, but will need to hire someone to come with me. The last person she had doing this was a gardner and he ended up doing a weekly call in on the 5 pm news, then went on to do a 20 min thing around noon. I'm pretty excited!

Old 03-30-2005, 06:36 PM

Zeke loves avacodo and banana, but that is it right now. Something about that texture that he really likes. He also eats organic O's. We have tried carrots, apples, green beans, sweet peas (that was really bad!). But avacoado is the hit. I have found that he is getting pretty constipated since starting solids. This is probably in the category of TMI, but the other day he was really straining to go, pushing really hard. He did this for a few minutes, and I thought he was done, so I decided to change his diaper. As I was lifting his feet to clean his bottom, I realized that there was more in there to come out, so I pushed with his feet on his belly. A 2 inch long hard poop came flying out and hit the couch and landed on the floor! My 4 y/o DS saw the whole thing and screamed and started cracking up! It was like a missile!

Bendmom -- Cool about the talkshow! Have fun!
Old 03-30-2005, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Has anyone else not really tried solids yet? This is about when we introduced them to Gabriel (a little shy of *eek* 7 months), but we haven't really done it with Iain. Gabriel didn't really get into solids until he was closer to a year, though.

Well, we have a tooth! It broke through on the 28th - FINALLY!! I'm pretty sure the second one won't be far behind - Gabriel's came in a week apart with the first ones. Thankfully it's quite obvious that there's a very sharp point in his mouth now, so there's no question that it's in - and it'll be easy to tell in the future, too.

I took Iain to a new pedi here last week (he's got an ongoing cough and wanted to recheck his ears), and he was 17lbs 11oz!!! :Jaw I couldn't believe he was so big already - but he's definitely getting chunkier! My kids both have big "kissable" cheeks, so everyone says they're big, even if they're skinny for age/length. :LOL Iain is rolling really well, sitting well, but not too interested in mobility yet. I think this is a good thing.

I've been eating oatmeal on some mornings, and yesterday, being very hungry, made four of the instant organic oatmeal packets. Whadya know, when I was driving home from the airport (my family came to visit for Easter) I noticed I actually felt like I had milk! So, I'm eating a bunch of oatmeal again to see if it really works. :LOL I haven't had much in the way of "feeling full" in quite a long time, so I'm curious just what happens.

Hope everyone's doing well... I keep up a little big by the email alerts, but just haven't had too much time to devote to reading threads.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 03-30-2005, 07:25 PM

zen-ozz :LOL what a missile!

bendmom - so exciting!!!

It's 80 degrees outside!!! Can't wait to get off work and play with the girls!

DD1 (8yrs) + DD2 (6yrs) + DS1 (4/25/11) = one crazy adventure!
Old 03-30-2005, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen-ozz
This is probably in the category of TMI, but the other day he was really straining to go, pushing really hard. He did this for a few minutes, and I thought he was done, so I decided to change his diaper. As I was lifting his feet to clean his bottom, I realized that there was more in there to come out, so I pushed with his feet on his belly. A 2 inch long hard poop came flying out and hit the couch and landed on the floor! My 4 y/o DS saw the whole thing and screamed and started cracking up! It was like a missile!
:
Old 03-30-2005, 11:30 PM

The warm weather is intoxicating!!!! I may never post again!!! Just kidding.

We went for a walk a little before sunset yesterday, Mielle was freakishly happy about it. She was absolutely ecstatic! We were skipping and she was just giggling her head off! There is a herd of cows just up the road that we went to visit and she was so excited about them... as they were about us. Not kidding, they came GALLOPING up at us, panting and grunting and mooing. (I think it was dinner time)

We recently started tearing down a building on the property... the guys have been enjoying using crowbars and hammers to strip down walls and tearing a roof entirely off! It's been such a trip! My sister and her husband are planning on moving a mobile home onto the property and the old rotten corn crib needs to go.

We had our first major rain storm today. thunder, lightning, the works! It rocked!

Well better get going! Almost Happy April to all!

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
Old 03-31-2005, 01:57 AM

Some more pics
http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeNuXDJqxuA
I must force myself to clean up the house before I go to bed! I know I will be glad I did in the morning...

User Tag List