September 2004 Mamas - March Thread - Our babies are 6 months already!!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 524 Old 03-03-2005, 04:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Whoa, check out Chrissy's post count!!! Good golly, woman! Lucky girl going to PR. Have a wonderful time.

So great to hear from you, Caroline. I hope each day gets better and better for you.
#62 of 524 Old 03-03-2005, 10:00 AM

I have to agree with Sarah, Super Baby Food is a great resource; she suggests different foods for each month and tells you all about each food, food preparation, and a whole lot of other stuff. Some of her suggested first foods are brown rice cereal (a complex carb since it's brown rice), avocado, banana, baked sweet potato and yogurt, unless there's a milk allergy in the family. Only try one at a time and give each food a 4-day trial run for allergies.

Puerto Rico, sounds fun... and warm. Today's high in Minneapolis is going to be a balmy 35. I'm ready for spring, if for no other reason than we can get outside of the house more often without putting on sweater... coat... hat... mittens... yada yada yada.

bendmom - really? It's not helping at all? When you change a diaper, does the microfleece feel all wet? Because if it doesn't feel wet, then it's working! T's get mushed into his diaper too but they still wick which is the important part.

Jo is sending her resume in by Friday, so hopefully she'll have an interview before March is over.

Is it not allowed to say Girl Scouts? Or may we not refer to their cookies... in which case, are we still allowed to say Oreo? I'll say that Jo brought 3 boxes home from work and it's taken great restraint to not eat them all, I too am a thin mint addict.

Well, Mr. up-at-5:30 is being really noisy here next to me so I should see what the problem is (besides his being tired ).

j

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#63 of 524 Old 03-03-2005, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenInMpls
bendmom - really? It's not helping at all? When you change a diaper, does the microfleece feel all wet? Because if it doesn't feel wet, then it's working! T's get mushed into his diaper too but they still wick which is the important part.
I agree here... If baby is starting out with a pink rashy bum, then keep using the liners, even if it seems they are squishing into the diaper and not working. I think you'll find after just a day or two that the rash magically disappears. Make sure the liners are big enough to cover the whole private area and don't bunch up when you put on the diaper, too. I use that same thin microfleece, and it works fine for us.

William's not happy in his new playpen anymore.... My 15 minutes are up...
#64 of 524 Old 03-03-2005, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leomom
Caroline, I post often b/c I have become addicted to the computer druing my down time. It's my way of zoning out and relaxing when Kate's sleeping. :LOL

Ah, that is the trick!! Jackson hardly ever naps!! He is still sleeping now, but when I got up I smelt a poopy diaper, so I know he won't be sleeping for long!

~C~
#65 of 524 Old 03-03-2005, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrog
William's not happy in his new playpen anymore.... My 15 minutes are up...

Ok, I have to ask. How do you even get him to sit in the playpen for 15 minutes? I have been trying to get Jackson to play there, we have an Akita (a really big dog) and while she is gentle, i don't want her stepping on the baby. I really would love someplace safe to let him play, I really think a little of "alone" time is good for the baby. As soon as I put him in, he screams. Did you just keep at it with William, or did he like it from the beginning??

~C~
#66 of 524 Old 03-03-2005, 10:50 AM

re: solids -- I know the officical American Pediatrics thing is 6 mos, but I've also heard from lots of magazines and from The Baby Book that when they can sit up, tongue (sp?) thrust is pretty much gone and they're interested it's ok to start them. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Ug, we have been up since 5:30 am bcause Andrew woke up stuffy nosed, gassy, hungry, and teething. Can you say crazy morning? He's happy now, though ( after only 2 hrs .of troubleshooting)

Teething question: is it possible that he's been teething for a week and a half and all we have is a little nub of a tooth? He doesn't seem sick -- no fever, no extra gas, no runny nose, but he's been SO fussy for the last week or so, and the last few days he's just wanted to be carried and won't even nap without me. But still nothing is happening. I don't know. I just don't want to take him to the doctor and waste tax payer's money (I'm Canadian) for her to say "He's teething. Give him some tylenol when it gets really bad." The same thing happened in Dec. with his stuffy nose. After enduring it for 3 weeks I went to see if there was something wrong and she told me there was nothing I could do that I wasn't already doing. Sigh. I'm such a silly first time mom. BUt I just want to fix it for him, you know?

Jill , mom to Andrew (09/04), Aaron(01/07), and Emma (11/09)
#67 of 524 Old 03-03-2005, 12:14 PM

Caroline, I am sure I've been putting the babies down to play alone much more than other MDC moms. Actually, William isn't the biggest fan of being down on a play mat. He really prefers being held. But lately it's working out better now that he's interested in toys. Plus he figured out how to roll both ways and does it often. It also helped to expand their play time when I put them down there together... another "toy" to explore, LOL.

One of the tricks for getting my little 15 minute snatches is to vary their view... I'll put him on his tummy at first, for instance; then when he fusses 5 minutes later, I would flip and spin him to his back and at a different angle. Then the next time I might go back and open the curtains. Next time I might turn on the radio... And of course, Nicolas helps immensely. He has become a master at turning wails into laughter in an instant.

Oh, and I try to come back and pick them up to snuggle again before they get really worked up. I don't want them to think they have to cry before someone will come.

I mostly use this rotation technique (also with the exersaucer, sling, swing, doorway jumper, bouncy seats, floor gym) when I've got one baby to change or nurse and the other needs to wait.

It became easier to keep up with this thread when I figured out how to subscribe. Then I just remember to click the link and read every time I check email, or every other time. And I check it often. It's one of the only things I feel I can do while holding a baby...
#68 of 524 Old 03-03-2005, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline248
Ok, I have to ask. How do you even get him to sit in the playpen for 15 minutes? I have been trying to get Jackson to play there, we have an Akita (a really big dog) and while she is gentle, i don't want her stepping on the baby. I really would love someplace safe to let him play, I really think a little of "alone" time is good for the baby. As soon as I put him in, he screams. Did you just keep at it with William, or did he like it from the beginning??

~C~
Kate will play on the floor for about 10 minutes at a time. She used to scream when I put her down, but we slowly worked our way up to 10 minutes. I would just put her down to play until she got upset, and then try again the next day. Little by little, she played by herself longer.

I am about to break down and cry. Just as I am getting well, Kate is getting sick. She has had 102 temp. since 3:30. We're going to the doctor at 10. I really thought that she was going to keep from getting my cold this time. She's had no symptoms, other than being fussy and having a very, very low grade fever which I chalked up to teething. When her fever spiked, I started thinking it my be an ear infection and that's why she's been waking up screaming, not b/c of teething. But now she is coughing and her nose is starting to run a little. I just want to hide. I don't think I can do another cold- the last one was pure misery for all of us. I am just so stressed I don't know what to do.

My grandmother is in the hospital, possibly dying, and I just booked us tickets (nonrefundable) to go see her tomorrow. But I don't think that's going to happen. So, I might not be able to see her again.

To top it all of, my husband LET OUR HEALTH INSURANCE LAPSE!!!!!! And that is one of the FEW things he is in charge of. :

And now my mom is sitting here telling me that dh married me because I reminded him of his mom. And, let me just say, I AM NOT LIKE HER!!! :

Ok, this is my day from you know where.
#69 of 524 Old 03-03-2005, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrog
Caroline, I am sure I've been putting the babies down to play alone much more than other MDC moms. Actually, William isn't the biggest fan of being down on a play mat. He really prefers being held. But lately it's working out better now that he's interested in toys. Plus he figured out how to roll both ways and does it often. It also helped to expand their play time when I put them down there together... another "toy" to explore, LOL.

Hmm, could that be because there are TWO??? I would think you have to put them down more, just to care for the basic needs of the other. I really think a little down time is good for them....

As I "type" Jackson is on the floor playing with a stuffed ball!!! See, I sopke too soon. He is also watching the girls play....I guess that is a help I hadn't thought of.

~C~
#70 of 524 Old 03-03-2005, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leomom

Ok, this is my day from you know where.

Stacey, sounds like a lot of stress. I am sorry Kate is sick again, that is so frustrating. Maybe you could still go oon the plane if you gave her some cold medicine? I have had to give Jack some already, the poor kid couldn't breath. I hated giving him anyhting, but if it helps her so you can see your Grandmother...

Jackson also kept getting this awful cold, I finally broke down and put him on antibiotics. The cold went away, and all this mucus started coming out in his diaper. The chiropracter we are taking him to said that was an infection breaking up....Oh, that is another thing to try....the chiropracter did wonders with Jackson and this cold!

~C~
#71 of 524 Old 03-03-2005, 01:00 PM

s, Stacey

DD1 (8yrs) + DD2 (6yrs) + DS1 (4/25/11) = one crazy adventure!
#72 of 524 Old 03-03-2005, 01:35 PM

I quit!!!!! NO MORE!!!!!! ARRGGGHHHHHHHH!!! Everything that could go wrong with this babysitting week... HAS!!!

I have not been contacted once by my sister since she left 2 full days and 2 full nights ago!!! Can you believe that!!!! I didn't get any other contact info besides their cell phone... I don't know where they are staying or even if they are ok. I don't know if I should be worried or just pissed!
Their washing machine spewed water all over the floor and made horrible noises, so I can't wash my cloth diapers (had to buy sposies!) The 4 year old has been a little JERK.. testing the limits. The 2 year old has an on going skin condition that I have to medicate twice a day. My husband has been ridiculously ill since the night they left....Then last night the cell phone quit working (no land line) the kids all started coughing and sneezing.... and Mielle has thrown up everytime I have fed her since about 6 this morning!!!!

So, I have begun packing up all our stuff, plus all the clothes, food and toys I can for the 2 older kids. I'm packing everyone into the car and driving 5 hours back to Eau Claire, where at least I can wrangle my other siblings and Dad into helping with these kids.
I haven't gotten "really" sick yet, but I am dreading getting what Jerome has... fever, coughing up chunks, and diahrea!!! I just can't do this without help!!! Not with sick crabby kids!!

If it weren't for the sickness passing among us I would be fine... I've been coping, but can forsee it getting MUCH worse if more kids get sick, or I do. So, within the next hour or so I'll be on the road with my husband with diahrea, my baby girl puking, the 2 year old scratching her rash and crying while the 4 year old fidgets in the back, repeating everything incessantly! Oh it is gonna be so FUN!!!!

AARRRGGGHHHHH!!! What have I gotten myself into??????

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
#73 of 524 Old 03-03-2005, 01:48 PM

hang in there, Stacey and Anna. Dare I say things can't get any worse?

Jill , mom to Andrew (09/04), Aaron(01/07), and Emma (11/09)
#74 of 524 Old 03-03-2005, 02:26 PM

Anna- I can't imagine someone turning off their phone when someone is watching their kids : . I would have mine glued to my hand the whole time. I'm so sorry about the washer. When Aidan was a baby we caved and got a Sears card and bought a new set. It took us a while to pay it off, but it was really worth it. I think we used Han's student loans : to pay it off, then cut up the card.

Bryn does okay on the floor. There is so much dog hair! It gets all over his blanket, and every time I put him down, he rolls over. He can't just lay there :LOL

Of course you can say Girl Scouts. I just can't say them around the house. You know, eat them from the freezer when the kid isn't looking because he isn't supposed to eat the junk I do.

I don't think the liners are working because when I take off his cd his skin is wet. My theory is that I cut the pattern to the whole size of the diaper, so the pe has no where to go, but as I write this I realize that the pee should just go through anyway. The expensive $5 liners I bought that have M. Mills fleece backed w/ hemp work great, and I am trying to figure out why they work better than just a layer of fleece. I'm sure it will come to me after another cup

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
#75 of 524 Old 03-03-2005, 03:48 PM

Anna and Stacey, hope your day/week gets better.

Anna, you have every right to be upset, that is really obnoxious of them not to call you or have a number where you can call them at all times.

Stacey, so sorry about your sick babe and your grandmother.
#76 of 524 Old 03-03-2005, 05:32 PM

Ok, Anna, your life officially stinks more than mine right now. Hope the drive goes really quickly and that when you get there everyone takes over and lets you relax a bit.

It's the FLU!!!!!!!!! Kate has gone from awful to worse and the dr. thinks it will continue to get worse. And last from 7 to 14 days. Hannah has already been exposed and may get it, too. As well as her parents. Mess, mess, mess. Anyone ever dealt with the flu in an infant?
#77 of 524 Old 03-03-2005, 05:44 PM

Anna and Stacey

I too would probably take baby on the plain as long as their is nothing majorly wrong. Like you said if you dont you may not get to see your Grandma again.

Anna- we had a similiar babysitting experience once. It wasnt my sister but a former roomate and dear friend. We asked to keep her little boy for the weekend to spend some time with him. Well he got sick and when we called her home, she had taken off to Myrtle Beach with her boyfriend! Without ever trying to contact us. Needless to say we never volunteered to watch him again. Fortunately it wasnt serious because we had no health insurance information or anything. I always make sure to find out probably too much informaion now.
#78 of 524 Old 03-03-2005, 05:47 PM

Oh no Stacey! I just read your update. I have no advice. All I know is the one time in my life I had the Flu was the worst week ever. Poor Kate! I cant even imagine.
#79 of 524 Old 03-03-2005, 06:23 PM

I feel for you mommas w/ sick kids . We just went through our sick ordeals. we just came back froma long walk. Bryn is still having trouble breathing and the cold air helps open airways, I just can't keep him on hormones. Lucky for me he slept the whole time. The other half of my cd order still isn't here where are they?

I'm getting so frustrated with dh : . Last night he got upset that I was just spending money all over the place. The charges? I bought a few outfits($7) at a resale shop because he(Bryn) had grown out of his 3-6mo. clothing, and the cd order. It's not like I'm out buying shoes for myself and house accessories KWIM? I told him that's fine, he can get the boys dressed everyday and change all Bryn's diapers. He can deal with all the sposie garbage and trying to find the cloths that still fit them both. I'm just at a loss. He works all day so he has no idea what we need. He runs out of shampoo and razors and uses my razor and his bar soap for shampoo. He will wear t-shirts with bleach spots and holes in them. I feel like I'm constantly getting in trouble for just buying the essentials. And I'm buying used essentials at that! I feel like we made the decition for me to be home w/ the boys, but I can't even get dish soap get because he doesn't understand why I can't just use my shampoo. It all works the same, right?

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
#80 of 524 Old 03-03-2005, 06:25 PM

kate and anna,
((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#81 of 524 Old 03-03-2005, 07:15 PM

Chrissy- You're beautiful! Did you knit your kid's outfits in those pictures?

#82 of 524 Old 03-03-2005, 07:21 PM

awww, thanks! the only thing i knit in those pics are the pants lilah is wearing- the browny pink ones.

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#83 of 524 Old 03-03-2005, 07:26 PM

Hugs to Stacey and Anna!!!!
I hope that Kate feels better soon. And I'm sorry about your grandmother. Did you talk to the ped about taking Kate. How long is the flight?
I would be very annoyed with anyone who doesn't answer their phone when your're watching their kids. What if it was an emergency?
Desi still hasn't shown any signs of readiness for soilds. She sits with us for dinner everyda and she watches us eat. I don't know when we will give her soilds. I'm waiting until she at least doubles her weight, which won't be at 6 months. I'm hoping it will happen soon.
#84 of 524 Old 03-03-2005, 07:33 PM

Shampoo to wash the dishes?!! no, not quite the same, dear hubby... he sounds like one of those people who buys a gallon of Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap and uses it for everything. Or if he isn't, maybe he should!! Good for you buying used clothes. Maybe he needs to see a list of the real costs of things... I dunno, but I offer you support !

Stacey - YUCKO! Sending you healing thoughts.

Anna - that sounds like a car trip that could be in a horror movie. here's hoping you haven't blown a gasket by the time you get back to EC.

ok, mr man thinks he's hungry - and i think he needs a nap because we're going over to a friend's tonight to get hands-on, personal Ergo lessons - namely, how to get him in on our backs!

xo and thinking of all of you stressed mamas,

j

and t says c mn ;.-;;;;;;;;; vb f

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#85 of 524 Old 03-04-2005, 01:01 AM

Anyone else's babies wearing themselves out from tummy time or sitting up? Makynzi has just recently started loving tummy time. She is doing the lift upper body up, cant go anywhere, rock on tummy flailing arms and legs thing (we call it swimming). Anytime I put her down she immediatly flips to tummy and will stay on it until she exhausts herself. When she starts to fuss I pick her up and she nurses to sleep. She has started taking a nap in the evenings from 4-8 because she is so tired, then wakes up, nurses, tummy time and back to sleep by 10. The quiet is refreshing but the poor baby is exhausted before the day is through. How long does it normally take them to crawl after they start this? I can't remember from Madyson. I do know that as soon as Madyson crawled she began pulling up on everything and would only crawl when she ran out of something to hold on to. She never actually walked until the week of her 1st bday though. Makynzi can pivot any direction she wants to go, scoot backwards about a foot, and if you put your hands behind her feet she will keep pushing against them to move foward as long as you let her. She can also roll both directions to wherever she wants but prefers to try on her tummy. She can sit for a about 30 seconds unsupported and I suspect probably longer except she is too interested in getting to her tummy.
#86 of 524 Old 03-04-2005, 02:03 AM

Stacey - when did your brother get back??? Yay!!!! I'm so glad he's safe. Having to budget on essentials sucks. My money pet peeve right now is having to budget on food. And I'm not trying to eat steak and cavier every night either. I hate feeling like I have to choose between food that I know is best for us (like organic milk, hormone free meat, etc.) and less good stuff.

Lucy has been so yummylicious lately! She is such a good natured baby, I think I earned it after Jack's babyhood. What has me worried is that Jack is now so good natured, I hope it doesn't do an opposite switch for Lu!

Night Mamas.
#87 of 524 Old 03-04-2005, 02:10 AM

Oh, I feel for you gals, Anna and Stacey... and Bendmom! I've had similar disagreements with my dh. Ugh.

McKenna is starting to get onto all fours and rock a little. And she stands up with only the support of one or two of our fingers. Pretty cute. OH! And her neck is doing so good that today her physical therapist said we can drop down to once a month appointments, woo hoo!

I meant to report that I haven't used disposable wipes at home for months now! I hadn't even planned on switching to cloth wipes, but it just happened. Man, we are saving bucks over here...

Speaking of diapering stuff... I borrowed an Elimination Communication book from a local MDC friend and started reading it. I can tell I won't be able to pull it off this time with twins, but it makes sense to train them to go potty instead of training them to go in their pants. So this week I'm noticing that sure enough, I have unwittingly already "trained" William to pee as soon as I lay him down on the changing pad. :LOL If I could get him to wait just a minute longer so I could get that diaper off and his butt over the sink... I have no idea when McK goes. They don't get much naked time.
#88 of 524 Old 03-04-2005, 02:18 AM

There is a great book called "Potty Train Your Baby" It's cheap and usually locally available. Here's my review of the book (which you will see on the Amazon page if you go there -

I started using this book when my son was 7 months old. He is now 22 months old and almost completely potty trained, without any fights, hassle or stress. The main thing about this book that is different from the others is that it sees potty training as something that takes 12-18 months, not something to be done in a weekend or two. Its premise is that you teach children all the necessary skills to using the potty so that when their body is ready, the skills are already there. This book does NOT claim that your child will (or should be) potty trained at 12 months of age. The book does point out that it is a much more difficult process to potty train a child who is 2+ and who has already reached the age of "NO"!

I couldn't ever EC cause of having my babes at work with me for at least 20 hrs a week. Don't think that would go over well!

Savannah - we are such night owls. I can't believe McKenna is on all fours already. You need to get some pics!
#89 of 524 Old 03-04-2005, 05:51 AM

can i join this group? my name is alia and i'm a 20 year old SAHM to rowan nikolaos who was born on 9-8-04. i'm a cloth diapering, sling wearing, co-sleeping mama and my son is the light of my life. i'm also married to a wonderful guy and have been since august '03. the 3 of us live happily in south eastern idaho. i look forward to meeting all of you!!

Alia + Brian proud parents to Rowan (9/8/04) Lila (9/3/07) and Rhys (6/11/10)
#90 of 524 Old 03-04-2005, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Okay, how can there be FIVE pages of posts in less than five days time?! :LOL At least I figured out why the other thread was so quiet.

Well, we're here... We made it in yesterday evening to our new home (for six months, anyway). The house is nice - the wood floors will be quite an adventure come crawling and walking time! DS#1 has already slipped a few times. I'm a little freaked by how cramped the town seems - narrow roads, etc. I'm used to Texas and WIDE open spaces. :LOL Of course, by the time we got to drive around it was dusk and raining and I was way tired, so it didn't help my sense of things much!

So, now I sit here (at 5:00am ) with a croupy baby. Poor thing - I finally coaxed him to sleep last night, only to have him start getting noisy shortly thereafter. Within the last hour or two he's been coughing, that awful seal cough. He doesn't seem TOO bad, but I'm figuring we're off to meet the local pedi come daylight.

I'm wondering if he picked this up on the road when he started sitting in highchairs for the first time (and very proudly, too!). I've used the Maya to cover them mostly, but who knows... Poor baby sounds awful.

Off to try to get us back to sleep...

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page