September 2004 Mamas - March Thread - Our babies are 6 months already!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 524 Old 03-01-2005, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I woke up early this morning and have been keeping busy. Jackson got up 30 minutes after me and is already back asleep for his first nap of the day.

Since I'm in a "get things done" mode, I thought I'd start the March thread.

And I have pictures to share!!!

Mama to ds 11, ds 7, dd 5, dd 2, and dd born on 6/17/12!

#2 of 524 Old 03-01-2005, 10:58 AM

holy cow, it's March! I turn 31 in 5 days!

T got up at 5:30 to nurse and when he didn't fall back asleep, I ignored him. I think that did not please Jo to get out of bed and take charge of him but I am officially on a walking-rocking strike between 5 and 7!!! I think the last straw was trying to change the diaper in the dark at 5:30 and finding all of the dipes gone. Using the last nappy is like using the last of the toilet paper - REPLACE IT...

Anyone else have a kid whose lip splits?! T's bottom lip constantly has a crack right in the middle. I've been putting un-petroleum jelly on it but how do you keep that on when they keep putting everything in their mouths? Maybe I should try some Lansinoh?

rabbit rabbit!!!

j

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#3 of 524 Old 03-01-2005, 11:13 AM

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!

I woke up, open up the blinds and saw SNOW!!! Hurray!

:

Christine - mama to my 4 boys
#4 of 524 Old 03-01-2005, 11:21 AM

snow?!? No fair! I'm in GA too and I don't have snow, just COLD. Brrrr.

I like your strike plan, Jen! That should work! =O)

Pam, those portraits are incredible! How in the world did the photographer get such huge smiles out of your boys in EVERY PICTURE???? Such cuties.

I've lost the charger to our digital camera. So no pix for us for awhile. Darn it.

Bendmom, I usually hit quote (which takes you to a reply screen with the entire message quoted), then I delete all but the part I actually wanted to quote. Leaving the bracketed info at the beginning and end. Then you hit enter at the end of it all to start typing your own message. There's probably a better way, but that's what I do...
#5 of 524 Old 03-01-2005, 11:41 AM

Happy March! I can't believe my little Banana will be 6 months old tomorrow. She's such an amazing blessing. This pregnancy and her early infancy nearly drove me to insanity (and definately drove me to drink a few times), but it's all been worth the trouble every time she gives me her goofy smile and big sloppy kisses.

~L
#6 of 524 Old 03-01-2005, 11:49 AM

Julia has apparently decided to spend her 6-month birthday (born 9/1) by having a feast. I swear this kid has been EATING nonstop since yesterday afternoon. I guess she's growth spurting again, but heck the kid's almost out of the 6-9 month clothes. This can't go on indefinitely-- she's gonna be 9 feet tall!!! Soon!

Snow here (NJ), but not enough to close the school so DH is not home. Every other district in the county closed but his. It's just not fair-- I was so psyched that he'd be home all day.

Anyway, gotta run. In addition to being Hungry Girl, she's also Ornery Girl. I can already tell it's gonna be a sling day, and it's not even 10 am yet.

I want spring to come. I feel like I've been cooped up in this house for an eternity (I have, actually-- I was on bedrest all summer) and I'm going NUTS.

I think my period's gonna finally come. I've got that cranky hormonal feeling; it's been so long since I felt this way, but I think that's what it is.

Happy March, BTW. Maybe I'll get happy later, once Grumpy Girl takes a nap.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#7 of 524 Old 03-01-2005, 11:54 AM

Happy March! Desi will be 6 months on Sunday. Shhh don't tell her: we got her a booster/high chair, a book, and some rings. I want to get her a shape sorter, but all the ones I saw were battery operated.
#8 of 524 Old 03-01-2005, 12:26 PM

hi everybody!

great pics of your beautiful boys pam!

lilah is just 5 months today but i can't believe she is that old. crazy how time flies.

not much time to type (girl asleep in lap) but wanted to pop in for a quick hi and to get myself subscribed to the thread.

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#9 of 524 Old 03-01-2005, 01:27 PM

Hi everyone! Happy March!

I'm still sick , but my mom came over to help me with Kate and Hannah. I think I'm on the road to recovery, just still a little weak.
#10 of 524 Old 03-01-2005, 02:06 PM

Howdy Mamas! I'm here with my rare check in, I've just accepted that I can't keep up (or maybe that I don't want to spend the time ) so I have no idea what's going on with y'all, but I hope it is well. We are good, Nessa is 6 months today (no 29th in Feb), I can hardly believe it! She's getting way big, I actually have been putting some of the smaller 12 mo size clothing on her! Yipes! She's mostly very tall, she's got some chunk, but probably abt 17 pounds. We've been getting out a lot to hike, she loves the backpack. I think we are dealing with a little thrush, my nipples have been killing me, although she has no sign of it. So we're getting ourselves on a program to kick it. Sleep is ever changing. I guess that's the nutshell. She's getting antsy and in need of a diaper change. Happy healthy wishes to all, I'll try to check in again soon.

Lovies,

-Sheryl

Mama to DD 8 blahblah.gif and  3rdtri.gif EDD 5/21/13 joy.gif

#11 of 524 Old 03-01-2005, 02:35 PM

Hey Everyone!

Miles is 5 Mos. old already! I'm glad he's younger than most of yours so that I know what is coming just before it happens.

Well, I feel really weird because all of a sudden, I'm expected to know EVERYTHING. All my friends/relatives are asking me for advise on bfing, cd's, etc. and I feel so pressured to be this expert or something. But since I'm the only one they know, they ask me. I'm so glad I have you ladies for advise/support. Thanks!

So I noticed some of you are celebrating the 6 month b-day. That never occured to me. What are some of the things you are doing? This would be a good topic for those of us that have another few weeks to plan.

Busy mama to 4 boys, M 9/04, E 4/06, our angel baby N (passed 10/09 at 1 day old) & newbie C, 12/10
#12 of 524 Old 03-01-2005, 03:46 PM

Jackson is adorable!

It has been awhile since I've been around. I've been so busy as I have a new boyfriend. He is super sweet and just loves Julian. Julian just turned five months old yesterday, so we have until the 28th for his six month birthday. We aren't doing a huge celebration or anything, but I did order a Kozy Carrier for him because our sling : has started to kill my back! He is a big boy and weighs 21 pounds at five months! Has anyone tried these? I sure hope I like it. We'll also start some solids at six months. What is everyone elses plans regarding solids?
#13 of 524 Old 03-01-2005, 04:57 PM

Hello! Happy March everyone!

I remember the days when i was excited about snow . . (I just moved from Vancouver, B.C. -- similar weather to Seattle). But here is Saskatchewan we have had snow since NOVEMEBER! ARG! WHEN WILL IT GO AWAY?! WHEN CAN I ESCAPE THIS HOUSE! Okay, I am perfectly calm. It's all good. Even when it's only -5 or so I can't take Andrew out because he hates the cold wind on his face, and they don't clear the sidewalks on most of the roads here, so we're stuck. :

Okay, so :

Bedtime: Andrew is a terrible sleeper, so we had to start a routine: bath around 7:30 or 8, then we sing "jesus loves me", pray and nurse (simultaniously for now), and if we're still not asleep I wrap him up in my nursing shawl and we walk and listen to soothing music. On non-cranky nights he's been falling asleep at 9ish, but this is new -- up until last month it was a miracle if he'd be asleep before midnight! He usually wakes up to feed around 11, when I go to bed. the two hours of free time is amazing! He doesn't fall asleep on his own at all. Sometimes he won't even nap if I'm not right next to him.

Hair: I feel your pain (quite literally). I've taken to braiding my hair at night and most of the rest of the time. I'm also trying to pry his hands loose and teach him the word "gentle". so when he just touches my hair rather than wrenching on it I say, "good. gentle" and when he pulls it I say "no. be gentle". It's sort of working.

Solids: Arg! don't get me started on starting solids! I tried about a month ago because Andrew was SO grouchy whenever we ate and was grabbing utensils out of my hands and looking longingly and making chewing faces when I ate while he was in the sling. Rice cereal = contipation. So I tried oat cereal which also = constipation. He likes apples. So we eat applesause or pureed peaches whenever, usually around supper and breakfast. I think I'm going to try cooking up an adult brown rice ceral I saw and try that. IT doesn't have any iron supplement to plug him up.
Wow, this message is long. Sorry.
Oh, nap's over, I guess. bye!

Jill , mom to Andrew (09/04), Aaron(01/07), and Emma (11/09)
#14 of 524 Old 03-01-2005, 05:04 PM

For soilds we're going to wait a while still. She hasn't shown any signs of being ready. I don't know how long we're going to wait.

Ihope you feel better soon Stacey! You konw what the Best Buy guy cancelled on us today. Grrr.
#15 of 524 Old 03-01-2005, 06:31 PM

Jill - have you got a food processor? If you do, send some rice on a whir through it an then cook it up. Voila - baby cereal! Jack never had extra iron, just through breastmilk and his iron levels never got low, so if you get worried about the iron, I would just ask the ped to check the next time you are in.

So, now that we are on one of my favorite subjects (that being baby food), save your money mamas and don't buy those little jars. The cost really does add up. Plus, aren't we as adults told to steer away from canned veggies and eat fresh or frozen? I think we should do the same for our kids. Lots of nutrients are lost during the canning (jarring) process. If you look at the ingredients for baby food, you will see that vitamins are usually added back in, meaning that you might as well just be giving your baby a multivitamin.

You can find lots of great ways to make and freeze baby food in Super Baby Food. Also, foods don't really have to be totally pureed in order for babies to eat them, by the time they are as big as ours are. So you can just mash up lots of food that you would be eating anyway - like peas or avacado with your dinner. I have even chewed up little bits of food for my babies, sounds gross, but not really any "grosser" than breastmilk, right?

Okay, I'll step off my soapbox now, but pm me if you want anymore info about making your own baby food. It's nice knowing where it comes from!!!
#16 of 524 Old 03-01-2005, 06:32 PM

I've given Lucy little tastes of things, but she really isn't ready yet. Still lots of tongue thrusting and I'm in no rush to change smelly diapers.
#17 of 524 Old 03-01-2005, 06:45 PM

Hi there. I am new to the board, but our baby girl was born on 9/4/04.

The last few days have been difficult, she won't nap. For nothing, and it is stressing me out. I have tried everything. I can get her to sleep and the POOF she wakes right up. I am just exhausted. I am thinking that it might have to do with her teething, all I am using is the Hyland's tablets or gel, and then a cold washcloth for her to suck on. Any other ideas?

Besides that, she is wonderful and kissable. We too are celebrating her 6 mo. birthday on Friday. I was just going to take some photos and make a print of her hand and feet.

We haven't really started solids. Been letting her lick large pieces of apple or bannana but she doesn't seem too interested so we are waiting.

Have a great day and hopefully we will get some rest around here!
#18 of 524 Old 03-01-2005, 06:46 PM

Mamacorn, we use that same toy. It seems to be on eof his favorites, or at least is easy to hold on to, so doesn't cry right away because it doesn't fall right away. Very cute boys too

I made a big nono and gave Bryn some of my popcicle. He loved it and I gave him a few more tastes. Realizing my mistake I had to put it back in the freezer and finish it when he is not around. I'm gonna hold off on solids at this point until he is more mobile, since all he does now is hold on to my shoulder, and that doesn't burn more calories than I can provide.

Veganbaby, I haven't thought about a 6 mo. b-day. My SIL does one for my nephew and they call it his unb-day. They wrap presents and have cake and everything. I think they might take it a bit to far, but the idea seems fun. We still haven't bought a highchair for Bryn, I keep holding out for one at a resale shop. I remember at this point w/ Aidan the best toys were my plastic cooking utensils

Bryn is sick. Again. Not fever sick, no, just tons and tons of snot sick. I have so many errands to run and I just can't justify getting him all bundled and frustrated if he's sleeping.

Adventuregirl, do you have snow? We don't. Don't get me started on how jealous I am of you moms on the East Coast. We're going to end up with a super dry summer and won't be allowed to water our yards. :

Okay, Dh is waking from nap so I should start looking busy :LOL

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
#19 of 524 Old 03-01-2005, 06:52 PM

Kate - hoping you feel better and get strong real soon!!!

bunsmom - Welcome!!! Our babes have the same birthday!!! Your babe might be going through a growth spurt.

I am actually going tomorrow morning to get my hair cut. I usually only trim it, but its at a point where its quite long, very thin (b/c post-partum loss) and ds is constantly grabbing at it. So, I decided I would get it cut shorter (should length) for a change. If I don't like it, i'll just grow it back out.

We had started ds on solids the other week. I think it just caused all sorts of problems. He became real gassy and fussy and wasn't sleeping well. A few days without solids - viola! back to normal. So I will just at solids for now. He's doing just fine on bm.

I hardly ever complain or rant, but I can't help it this time. Why do some AP moms have to be such snots????????? Ughhhh!
I went to my monthly LLL meeting and there was a mom there (very AP) and she was just so stuck up. (I think she used to post here on MDC) I don't know any AP mamas IRL, so I am trying to get to know more and get involved in local groups. So I tried chatting with her, but I guess I look funny or smell b/c she hardly acknowledged me. It made me quite upset at first, then I figured I wouldn't want to be friends with her if that's how she is. If I didn't know as much as I do about AP and I went to the meeting for the first time - I would've been SO turned off. Whatever...
ok - enough complaining

#20 of 524 Old 03-01-2005, 07:04 PM

I've experienced the same thing! I only have a few momma friends in town because they all seem to be *staring at the sky* I went to LLL meeting once and this woman acted so much better than everyone else because she was bf her 4 yr.old, where as most of us were stopping at 2. It seems that when ever I make an AP friend, they turn out nutty, not me :LOL

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
#21 of 524 Old 03-01-2005, 07:12 PM

Welcome bunsmom - love your location!!!
#22 of 524 Old 03-01-2005, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Bear
I hardly ever complain or rant, but I can't help it this time. Why do some AP moms have to be such snots????????? Ughhhh!
I went to my monthly LLL meeting and there was a mom there (very AP) and she was just so stuck up. (I think she used to post here on MDC) I don't know any AP mamas IRL, so I am trying to get to know more and get involved in local groups. So I tried chatting with her, but I guess I look funny or smell b/c she hardly acknowledged me. It made me quite upset at first, then I figured I wouldn't want to be friends with her if that's how she is. If I didn't know as much as I do about AP and I went to the meeting for the first time - I would've been SO turned off. Whatever...
ok - enough complaining
Unfortunately, I have found this to be the case in many instances, even here at MDC. I just try to remind myself how many great AP Mamas there are and not let a few rotten apples spoil the bunch. But I know several people IRL who have been turned off to some aspects because they couldn't find anyone willing to give them advice. So sad.

Along those lines, I have a question I hope one if you can answer. I've asked it a couple of times on the food boards, and no one will answer it. I guess because it's a stupid question that I should already know.

Ok, I found these list of "must buy" organics, and at the bottom was "animal fat products." What does that mean? Chicken and beef? Butter? Milk? Fish? All of the above? I know virtually nothing about organics, but am trying to learn before Kate starts solids. If someone can please answer this question, I would be most grateful. It's driving me crazy!
#23 of 524 Old 03-01-2005, 07:18 PM

MamaAcorn, I love that picture where it looks like Jackson is trying to eat Alex's neck! I assume he's laughing? Too funny!
#24 of 524 Old 03-01-2005, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leomom
Ok, I found these list of "must buy" organics, and at the bottom was "animal fat products." What does that mean? Chicken and beef? Butter? Milk? Fish? All of the above? I know virtually nothing about organics, but am trying to learn before Kate starts solids. If someone can please answer this question, I would be most grateful. It's driving me crazy!
My diet is almost 100% organic - so feel free to ask me any other questions. What I *think* it means is things like butter/lard.

#25 of 524 Old 03-01-2005, 07:35 PM

I would think milk, too, since for kids the higher fat is usually better. Plus I really think you get a lot of bang for your buck with organic milk - it tastes sooooo much better.
#26 of 524 Old 03-01-2005, 07:40 PM

I looked on line and couldn't find anything on animal fat products. Hmmm. We are vegetarian so the only thing I can think of that contains animal fat is lard. I'm not sure that lard can be called organic. I do know that we have found food items that tout vegetarian on the label, but have chemicals that are derived from animal fat. But because it doesn't actually say, Beef stock, or whatever, they can get away with it, for the most part.

#27 of 524 Old 03-01-2005, 07:57 PM

Hey all!

Been forever since I found time to actually post, although i have been reading when i can.

I am spending the next week with neice and nephew (4 and 2 years old) My sister and her husband asked me to watch them while they are on vacation. So, here I am with 3 kids for a week! My hubby is here with me for now, but is leaving tommorrow cause he has to work all week. Yikes!!!

So far so good, but don't be surprised if I go stark raving mad this week! :LOL

Mielle sends a drooley slobbery hello your way. She recently started crinkling up her nose just like I do when I smile. Boy is it weird to see someone making "your" face back at you. Speaking of mimicry..... Maybe I am imagining things, BUT I swear she says "Hi", "Mama", "Papa" and "Up"!!!! Other people have witnessed her "talking" not just me.... but I don't know if we are just "hearing things" or if she really is mimicking this stuff.

Gotta go, small children are crying!

love to all

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
#28 of 524 Old 03-01-2005, 11:54 PM

high quality animal fats - milk fat (cream, butter, whole milk) for sure... have those good essential fatty acids in them. Many - especially devotees of Sally Fallon's work - would say that the best way to go is unpasteurized, non-homogenized whole milk. If you do the raw milk thing, be very, very sure that the cows/goats/sheep you get milk from are super healthy and the farm very clean... but I must say (and I'm not advocating either way): raw milk is *really* yummy. BUT you need not worry about this because you shouldn't feed milk products before a year old, except for yogurt.

My boy just won't go to sleep! He took almost his whole nap this afternoon on my shoulder, and now he's nursed down and he's SOOOO tired but won't fall asleep. Jo is rocking him. I guess that's the perks I get for having made dinner and done all the dishes tonight. And there's chocolate pudding in the fridge...

Anna you are brave and crazy!!

Finally, the shrieks from the next room have ended...

did anyone see supernanny last night? Was it good?

j

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#29 of 524 Old 03-02-2005, 12:14 AM

I priced raw milk (only available from one place that I could find) and it was $12 a gallon!!!!! I guess Florida isn't exactly dairy country....
#30 of 524 Old 03-02-2005, 12:42 AM

Hi again. Mama bear, that is so sweet that our babes are born on the same day!

I am sooo glad I read this post again. I have been feeling so out of sorts lately. I have NO women friends with kids. I thought that by going to a support group (all of who appear to be AP type Moms), I would find like minded friends. I went, and well, it wasn't what I expected. I was sad about it, felt like high school all over again. BUT I am going to try again.

There are babies on our block around the same age as ours but for some reason we have never connected with the parents. One women describes herself as "crunchy granola" yet is very stand offish at times, and also does things that are not very "AP" at all (using a stroller at all times for one), and I sooo do not care about any of that, but the fact that she calls herself crunchy....I don't know, this is turning into a vent...sorry.

I just wish I had just ONE friend that had a babe the same age as mine, even if we didn't see eye to eye on all parenting issues. Heavy sigh. My closet male friend is a single gay man, my closet women friends are married w/out children and a just "out" lesbian, which is totally, but she is really busy out having fun. Anywho, I love this board, at least I feel not so alone. I was even thinking of going to a LLL meeting but not sure now.

Have a wonderful evening all of you!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page