January Babylicious March Thread - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 497 Old 03-27-2005, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Happy Easter Mamas!

We had a good night last night. Mr. Will is now a batptized man. He did so well, didn't even cry. It was Emily who made noise during the ceremony. The priest would stop talking and she would yell "Hi Laura" (the kids godmother) and stand up and wave. It was cute and most people laughed at her.

MIL is very southern baptist, so she disapproved of the whole thing. We go to an Episcopal church, so they did the whole ceremony with communion and the whole nine yards. She refused to sing, refused to sit and stand, and basically just did not participate. She was also pissed that they couldn't take pictures during the ceremony (as is standard in any religious ceremony) so that didn't make matters better. Fortunately, she is leaving today, so all I have to get through is Easter dinner.

We did the "hide the Easter basket" thing this morning. Emily is now eating tootsie rolls and getting more wound up by the minute. Better go rescue Will as he is fussing and they are gearing up to start shaking things at his head.

More later, I am sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#362 of 497 Old 03-27-2005, 02:43 PM

I had so much to say last night before I got off, but I forgot it all.... that's what interrupted sleep and wake up at 5:30am will do to you, I guess.

It's Easter- not my holiday, but we were invited to do some egg hunt. I bought eggs, the kids (and someadults) colored them last night, but it's absolutely pouring here, and cold (for us). It;s probably in the 60s. I know that's warm for you guys, in the snow, but our house is like a sieve- it's been windy and there's noway to keep it out of the house. The windows are all jalusies (louvers) and many are missing.... oh well. We're all bundled up.

Ann- I also hope you got the thing with the neighbors resolved. I so hate confrontation too, that i would probably end up paying for the damn board and then being resentful of the neighbors- or maybe it would come out.... not sure. Last time we had a serious neighbor issue, the landlord accused ds1 who was 5 at the time of going into his shower (under his house) and pooping all over and smearing it all over the walls- WTF??? He came over to my house at 7 am to do this. That afternoon I went off on him. ds denied it, of course and I believed him. He didn't. What an a**hole. Turned out his plumbing backed up or something. He didn't even have the balls to apologize in person. He left a message. geesh.
ds never played with his son again and we moved soon thereafter. my poor baby thought he was gonng get arrested by the police. it sucked.

anyhow, don't know where that ramble came from.
#363 of 497 Old 03-27-2005, 03:20 PM

nak

Hi all - just reading this thread and hoping I can join you ladies! I SO wish I'd known about MDC while I was pregnant! I was on a mainstream Jan '05 board that sometimes made me crazy!

Hope you're all having good Easters! Here in Cali it is a bit rainy so the easter egg hunt at MILs will probably be moved indoors. It will probably result in some serious cabin fever for the 12-and-under crowd. I'm excited tho because Helen will be meeting her giant extended family for the first time... great op for cute pics with all the cousins! She'll be in a silly frilly dress that MIL bought - the kind I swore I'd never put her in but somehow decided recently was sooo cute - what has motherhood done to my brain?
#364 of 497 Old 03-27-2005, 05:06 PM

Welcome Liz! of course you can join us!
Helen is a sweetie- those must be old pics though- she looks very new born!
Where in CA are you? I'm originally from there.

It's pouring here too, but apparently the party we were invited to is still on- at a river park, no less.
#365 of 497 Old 03-27-2005, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Az - I think you're beautiful with mussy hair - and if your robe is anything like mine, who CARES how many extra pounds it LOOKS like you have gained just by putting it on... it feels SOOOO comfy!

Having a bad nap day here...ugh. Lisa - I'm glad something is working for you! Or more to the point, for Lauren! Probably she'll not need it for long, as her system matures.

Hi Liz - welcome! Your Helen is beaoootiful! Hope easter is good for everyone! Enjoy the parties. dd and dh are still sick. Ugh ugh.

Must go rescue dh from howling babe... andy

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
#366 of 497 Old 03-27-2005, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Nicole - So glad the baptism went well! Ceremony is so fun!!! Also glad mil is on her way OUT of town!

K - WTF on the nasty neighbor!? We haven't had anything that bad yet...thank goodness! I'm glad that ds1 hasn't let it scar his spirit - he looks like quite a happy boy, really!

Ok, NOW I'm going to rescue the BABY from dh who is IN HIS FACE about being quiet because they're watching harry potter. HUH?

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
#367 of 497 Old 03-27-2005, 09:24 PM

Hi mamas!

Ooh, Ori looks so cute in those shorts!!! I love them! That's exactly what I thought was going to happen with the soaker - I tried it on Violet and it wouldn't fit over her thighs, but I though it *might* fit Ori and I'd pass it along anyways...It can be easily fixed, if you send it back to me (first class) I can fix it up and send it right back. No point in having a useless soaker, eh?

K- What is up with this cold weather? I had to dig around to find some pants and sweatshirts for the kids, of course they were all a bit too tight, lol. Yesterday was the first time I'd worn shoes in a year or something - weird! Have fun at your egg hunt! I hope your neighbor wasn't a big scary local guy. Scary, and um, is he PSYCHO?!?! Why would a little kid go under a house and do that? It was probably cats or chickens or something.

Welcome Liz! I'm from NorCal originally too. The wee one is a cutie patootie. I love your username, btw.

Nicole - glad the baptism went well and MIL is a packin' Take care, ok.

Whew - almost done - Lisa, hopefully around the three month mark her system will mature and she can go off the med. Most important thing is she's feeling better. Who wants to walk around with a tummy ache all the time? (Or in Lauren's case be carried around, lol)
#368 of 497 Old 03-27-2005, 10:26 PM

Andy_I forgot to say that little Ori is just looking dashing and oh so squeezable. I wish we could all get together so I could kiss all these little ones. they are all so sweet looking!!! sorry to hear that the family is sick! bummer!

Ann- I do NOT know what's up with this weather. Noam wore a turtleneck to the party we went to! lol! I wore both shoes and socks and everyone else there was super dressed. crazy! it's spring!

Our party was fun though- Luka slept the whole time in the sling and then when he awoke, one of my girlfriends held him for a long time. Was helpful to me and saved my back. yay for moms who are done having babies- they ALWAYS want to hold others!

that incident with our neighbor was about 6 years ago. Was more traumatic in the long run for me than for ds. I still sometimes have dreams about that guy- who was not a big local guy, but a man from Mississippi- he was actually the evil twin bro of the labdlord (seriously).

Oh, baby's crying- gotta run!

Love to all!
#369 of 497 Old 03-28-2005, 01:09 AM

Well, things went from bad to worse today . MIL showed up around 9:30 or so and then took DD to Walgreens and the grocery to pick up some stuff. No biggie. I asked her to pick up some nasal spray from my allergies and to let me know how much it cost so I could pay her back. They got back around around 11:30 - noon. We fed Em and tried for a nap. I was working frantically to get everything ready for dinner and they were all sitting on the back porch talking. Never even offered to help. Will got up and they proceeded to shake things at him and disappeared again to go get a rattle. He goes back to napping. So far so good.

Here's where it gets bad. We were supposed to eat aroudn 2:30. I had everything ready to go, was letting a couple things finish cooking and sat down. MIL turns to me and asks "we are eating at 2:30, right?" My answer, "yes, give or take" She turns away and then turns back again, clearly angry, "are we eating at 2:30?" my answer was the same. Then my dad said that he thought he heard my grandmother. I went out to help her carry things in, and when I turn around, MIL is right behind me, furious. Not sure what happened. Sent DH out to talk to her, walked out to find her yelling at him. When I started to tell her that she didn't need to do this, she told me "You can go to he!!" At that point I lost it and yelled back "You don't talk to me like that in my house" She squelled out of the subdivision and took off. I am so furious : : right now. She is not welcome in my house at all.

This all stems from her intense hatred of my mother from things that happened long ago. She just can't let go of it, and everyone else has. Not sure what DH is going to do. However, she will be civil to me, or she won't see the kids. She also complained that we didn't appreciate the fact that she came up, which is not true. We wanted her here for the baptism, we invited her for Easter. She said that she spent $250 on the hotel and we didn't even reimburse her for the nasal spray. They didn't even tell me how much it was. So DH is thinking of sending a certified check for $250 for the hotel and $15 for the nasal spray. Not sure, but I think it would make things worse. Don't know if I care!

Now that my rant is over, I will do another post with happier things.
#370 of 497 Old 03-28-2005, 01:18 AM

Oh Nicole, that sounds yucky. I'm sorry

Here are some pics of Violet. If you go to the end, you'll see the most recent pics.

http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeEM2zlm1ZtmGY
#371 of 497 Old 03-28-2005, 01:32 AM

Okay, more cheerful post about the kiddos.

They had a great easter. Will was a good kid all day. Good sleeping, despite all to comotion. Emily was sufficiently hopped up on candy that no real meal stood a chance. She was so spoiled by everyone.

We didn't make it to church, but I did dress the kids in their Easter outfits for the day.

Here is the link to those pictures. I also included one of the fam, and one with DH slinging will. There is also a picture of Will doing his first true and full baby push-up!
http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeANXLNo2bOGblY
Hope all had a great Easter!
#372 of 497 Old 03-28-2005, 01:56 AM

Nicole - what us UP with your MIL? geesh. I think you should send her the check. then she can't hold that against you for all times- as she seems to be a big grudge holder.
the pics are beautiful. Your kids are so cute! I love Will holding up his head and I also really liked that pic of the 2 kids on the couch. sweet.

Ann- I looked at all of your pics- coulnd't just look at the recent ones- the kiddos are just too cute. Your family is beautiful!!!!! And the rolls on Violet. OMG! She's so young yet- and what a roly poly! One of the last ones shows her arm real well with all of her creases- soooooo delish!!! Can you tell I love to eat babies!

My baby is being so good and mellow today. I'm enjoying him more every day!

Dh is going away for 2 weeks tomorrow. the bed will be more spacious, but I'm gonna miss him. With all of our issues though of the past week, it'll probably good to get some space and miss each other and so we can reconnect.
Aloha!
#373 of 497 Old 03-28-2005, 02:11 AM

Oh my goodness such junky days with neighbors and family!! I hope all gets resolved. I don't understand why we can be so nice and other people so miserable?!?!?!

Ann - love the pics of Violet. My Aine has arm rolls too...She is getting very big.

Nicole - Too cute. Good luck and well wishes on the surgery (if I don't post again b4 it)

AZ - thanks again for getting the Robeez. So very cute If you go again let me know - we may be in the market for another pair

Karen - I hope you and dh are able to use the separation to your benefit. Relationships are a tough animal.

Lisa - So glad the medicine is working for Lauren.

I liked the reminder to use the abc/kozy. I have been using our pouch and ring sling. I might try the other tomorrow to expand our arsenal My sister sent some fabric back with my mom (she went out to visit the new baby). We bought it when our first babies were little. She was supposed to make me a carrier with it, but alas now I have to ...

Heather
#374 of 497 Old 03-28-2005, 02:15 AM

Thought I should add some pics...We are bad lately about snapping them. this batch has quite a few of ds...

PM

http://www.snapfish.com/share/p=1000...=SYE/otsi=SALB
#375 of 497 Old 03-28-2005, 05:23 AM

Hi all-i am catching up here...
Welcome Liz!

Thanks for the latest photos all....Luka, Violet, elizabeth, Lauren, Ori, and Will! Did I forget anyone? I look at them all. It's so fun to see how different all of out babies are! You are all a bit ahead of me, so It's fun to see where Iris is headed.

Laura- hoo-rah, hoo-rah! I about cried when I read you finally nursed! All your hard work is, and will pay off. I hope it feels like the accomplishment it is.

Lisa, what changes do you see with the pepcid? Was she still pooping green?
I am seeing occ. yellow frothy/foamy poops, never green. Since you are the poop queen, do you know anything about this? I searched forums and there was some speclation it is yeast related? What have you gleened about this from your poop adventures?

About yeast- I think I ris has yeast in her chubby milky neck folds. I tried a bit of antifungal cream in there for her cause it looks really raw in a couple of places.

Jess, so what are your diaper favorites after all your experimenting? What have you settled on for night, still the sposies? Iris is just 6 weeks and starting to leak at night. By the wa i am coming to St. Louis for a wedding in May, the weekend of the fifteenth. We'll be at a hotel downtown, maybe we could have evelyn and Iris meet if the timing is good!

Good luck Good luck to Will. Sorry the family stuff is going down. Maybe she's stressed about the surgery, too? You all need to remeber to be gentle with each other, it's gonna be tough for awhile. You would think she'd be kind enough to consider that for you!!!

Karen, hear ya on the on call thing. I am SOOOO glad to be off call, and keeping birth world at bay. I so need this time to be here with my babe, but at the same time many of my old favorites are coming back pregnant again and it's killing me not to go into the office and do their visits! But, I am still hobbling around- my back and now sciatica is serious. All my work stuff is on the second floor of my birth center and I can't get up stairs, so, well I know where my place is for now- gazing at Iris and that is fine for me! It's still hard to miss out on the big events though. I love conferences, but there is always another chance, and Suzanne Arms speaks at almost every one of em'. At some point I realized my mom had had a career for 17 years, and she didn't work until her youngest was 12. There is plently of time to work in this world, and Luka will only be an armful for a while.

Any ideas on sacro-illiac joint healing or sciatica? I am seeing chiro (surprisingly not helping at all), accupuncturist (helping), and massage (helps- when does massage not make you feel at least A LITTLE better!)I am still having major trouble with my back and sciatica. I fear I will never be better!

Well happy easter to those of you who celebrated. I like it for the spring ritual, so i got choclate bunnies and got the fam ding easter eggs at dinner tonight. I t was fun....

Heidi and Iris- 6 weeks today!
#376 of 497 Old 03-28-2005, 07:14 AM

Hi Heidi!

Just chiming in here real fast before I'm off to bed - regarding your sciatica. Certain types of massage are better than others for this, I would recommend seeking out a therapist who can perform some type of passive stretching, particularly something called "breema". Its sort of like thai massage, only much gentler, lol. If you need help finding a practitioner, lmk, I may be able to look around for one. That really sucks that your back is in so much pain still. I'm sorry. I've been having major back/hip issues lately too, but I can still get around fine.

Great to hear from you!!!

I am loving all the cute babes they are just precious!!!!
#377 of 497 Old 03-28-2005, 02:17 PM

Heidi - I haven't found anything about yeast making poo change colors. If it's yellow and foamy I wouldn't really worry, it's just lots of air getting mixed in there, as long as baby isn't upset.
What I have figured out with Lauren is that her night nursing makes green poo (foamy) in the afternoon/evening (because I HAVE to switch sides each time at night since she's sleeping a lot) and her night and morning poo is nice yellow and normal from block feeding throughout the day.

I've learned a lot more about poo, but that's another discussion for another day.

Nicole - UGH, awful MIL! I'd send the $ for the spray but not the hotel, she's being an idiot. If dh is all riled up at her, let him deal with it, it might just turn out for the best if he (instead of you) gets to be the bad guy and lays down the law of being civil to you or not seeing kids.

Lauren slept 7+ hrs straight last night. I wish I had been sleeping with her. She nursed FOREVER to sleep so I don't know when she actually fell asleep as I was sleeping before she was! But I got up at 1:30 to tell dh to go to bed and to pee, and when I woke at 5:30 she was still sleeping, fitfully and ready to wake, but still sleeping!

Meds: well they seem to help some, but she's still not a happy baby. Pedi said to give it a week, so I will, we have a well baby on April 11, so I'll follow up then with her, but I think something else is going on. Since I slammed her with dairy last week and had a reaction, I am suspicious maybe there is another sensitivity or allergy in there too. So I'm going to start excluding more stuff (no fun!) but I'm starting with the easy ones, caffeine and citrus, before trying the ones that are harder to get around when cooking/eating.

Easter: UGH my family was worse than the inlaws. Not so much in how they behaved with Lauren, but in the constant yelling at me about how she's so sick and how she needs to go back to the doctor right away and blah blah blah blah. She was VERY fussy at my mom's house (we were there 1-5) which happens to be when she usually is fussy OR naps depending on the day, and she just couldn't nap over there. She'd nurse and nurse and fall half asleep and then my niece would scream or the dog would bark or something to wake her back up, or my brother's gf would want to hold her just as she calmed down, she just had a bad afternoon. They want a giggly happy baby who will smile all day, and that just isn't her! As for the inlaws, well SIL (age 11) wasn't there, which helped, since she is about as bad as they come for wanting to hold the baby. MIL of course grabbed her right away and walked off, so I followed, since she has a habit of thinking she can calm Lauren no matter how hard she screams. So I rescued her back, fed her, and gave her to another aunt who rocked her and bounced her and actually got her to sleep. I think poor Lauren was just so exhausted from the day that she gave in. We were only there about 1.5 hrs. so it wasn't too bad.

Nursing to sleep last night took FOREVER though, poor overstimulated baby, and she's still in bed, mostly because I just didn't want to get her up yet, so I went back and nursed her down one more time.

Should eat breakfast before she wakes!

Lisa

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#378 of 497 Old 03-28-2005, 02:53 PM

the holidays really bring out in-laws problems, huh?

Violet looks so big, I just love fat babies. Makai looks like a little doll.

Heidi are you sure its just siatica? You may want to concider seeing your gp it could be a slipped disk or something like that. You seem to be in anfull lot of pain

Heather the shop with the shoes is right around the corner I don't mind if you want another pair. I want another pair myself but just haven't made it over...yet

Nicole forget about mil and don't pay for her hotel room, she stayed there she wanted to visit the $250 is all her. I'd prob pay for the spray just to shut her up and so you don't "owe" her anything.

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#379 of 497 Old 03-28-2005, 03:35 PM

Wow, there's so much to respond to! Long Post Warning.

Ann, what pattern and yarn do you recommend for soakers? Ori looks darn cute. What cute skinny legs he has.

Nicole, your MIL sounds dreadful! After your Friday's post, I was reading in great suspense to hear what happened next with her. You of all people need support from your family, and it sounds like they are not giving it at all. Thank goodness DH is on your side, not under some illusion that his mother's behaviour is rational. I agree that you should pay her for the nose spray (what kind of MIL wants to be reimbursed for that kind of money anyway?) but not the hotel. Crappy that she complained about the ceremony. Episcopalians and Baptists worship the same God so what is her problem with it? Southern Baptists like her make all of us look bad. Ticks me off.

Az, what color is your hair now?

Kudos to the moms who teach their boys to sit down to pee. I dated a guy for a while who did that and it was nice. DH doesn't, and while he's fairly neat and always puts the seat down, if I'm standing at the sink next to him while he pees I can feel a light spray hit my legs. Ew, and I know it's putting a fine mist over half the bathroom. It's really bad after he eats asparagus.

The other day I had Evelyn in the ABC for a while, and when i took her out, she had crusty boogers all over her face. She must have wiped them on my shirt and then rubbed her face in it. At least they were out of her nose without a fight.

Ann, if you're close enough to your doula friend, you should tell her how it bothers you that she criticizes your birth, and how as a doula, she should never come across as condescending to her clients. This is some professional feedback that she really needs.

omigosh Violet is adorable! How cute and fat she is! Even fatter than Evelyn.

I'm glad Lisa confirms that frothy poo is fine. Evelyn does that sometimes. It cracks me up when I see it. (no pun intended)
We also have green poo after a two-sided nighttime feeding. I try to only feed from one side but ooooo they hurt. Her green poo was sooner, though, in the morning.

Eating babies - DH is always saying I'd better not make her look too yummy. The joke is that she'd better not dress up as bacon-wrapped filet mignon for Halloween, or he'll eat her for sure.

Karen, on losing the keys: you and DH are complimenting each other if he worries about the keys and you don't. Somebody has to worry about those things, and somebody else has to be cool about it and not get upset. DH and I are the same way.

Andy, you get to have two lives in your lifetime, at least. One before Becca, and one now with your kids, and when Ori starts school, another new kind. I hope you enjoy them all.
Oh, and ramble away. If people don't have time, they can scroll past it.

Men and sheets - men just don't see why they are important. Whenever a guy sleeps on our couch, he doesn't want to use the sheets, thinking that this is saving me the trouble of washing them. No, you wankers, it is exchanging a simple sheet washing for a huge PITA, no-couch-for-three-days $50 washing of the futon cover! When women sleep there and want to save me trouble, they put the sheets in the washer for me. Sheets are for protecting the mattress, not for our comfort. Somehow, we get it and they don't.

Ann, I am so jealous that you can go a year without wearing shoes! If i had my way, I would hardly ever wear them. Clothes too - especially while nursing.

Heidi, oooo goodie about coming to St. Louis! I would love to get together. What hotel are you staying in, do you know? Downtown is 15-20 minutes from our house, not far at all. We can come out and meet you.

On the diapers: we haven't tried a sposie at night except once. Well, the other day I put a cheap one on her and it leaked at the first pee. What was I thinking, getting cheap ones? I was tired. With the cloth diapers, she'll go about three hours and then get really restless. We change her, and then she settles down for a few more hours before she eats. This is the pattern for the last three nights, anyway. The problem is, if I wake up to change her and she does not eat, then my boobs hurt like crazy and I can't get back to sleep. Friday night sucked for that reason. Sat & Sun were great, 4-6 hours in a block of sleep for me, because DH did that first diaper change at 2 a.m. before he came to bed.

So far the best for her is the Sugar Peas. They run bigger than other dipes, esp in the thighs. The fleece lining on them is the best for wicking by far. I'm also planning to get more pockets for daytime, because with those we can buy a size to fit her thighs (large, at 7 weeks!) and fill it to fit her age. That's the only way to get anything that fits and is trim, I think. We like Cloth-Ease (www.greenacredesigns.com) and then Snap-EZ (www.snapez.com) best so far for the pockets. Well, okay, I'll admit it - the FuzziBunz mediums fit the best, but I can't bring myself to go with something so mainstream. In the others, I can get all kinds of crazy colors. Cloth-Ease is much faster to fill custom orders, and their prices are better, and they're side-snap. Snap-EZ has some awesome wipes, with purple-and-white striped terrycloth on one side. Both have clever inserts.

Heidi, if chiropractic is not helping, do you think you should try another chiropractor? I know they all have different styles, and the styles are suited to different patients, so maybe another one could help you more.

Lisa, what are they thinking that Lauren is sick? she just wants her mommy, and some peace.

Lucky me, Evelyn is happy with almost anyone, as long as they hold her and bounce her and walk with her constantly. She loooooves Nana Linda; sometimes Nana can calm her when I can't. Thank goodness, since she stays with her all day.

On DH helping - one good thing about working is that DH and I are on equal footing for needing sleep and showers. He watches her in the morning while I shower. It's fun to come back in and see him playing with her, and her cooing at him.

Okay, done with responding.

We had a fantastic weekend! It was my first weekend after starting work, and I just looooved it. I held her and played with her most of Saturday, and she was a total sweetheart all day. She is playing more and more. She looks at the toys, and at us, and tries to smile and succeeds more and more. Every day she is more fun. I can't wait for her to start laughing.
Yesterday we all went to Hannibal, to my parents', for Easter. At the church they have a cry room in the back, with a changing table and a couple gliders and toys, and windows and a speaker for hearing and seeing the service. We need to find a church with one of those here. After service, the grandfather carried her around and showed her off; he and Nana Cat and Aunt Rachel (15) and Uncle Seth (11) were very proud of her. She wore a dress, but no lace, and bunny slippers that rattle.

After church we visited my brother, who hadn't met Evelyn before. (He's in a wheelchair and doesn't drive.) He is fabulous with kids, so she loved him. Wish he could be so good with adults. Then Easter dinner was excellent, and Evelyn played and slept and played and was delightful until about 6, her fussy time. The trip back (2 hr drive) was not so good; she got really pissed and we had to stop for half an hour or so for nursing, soothing, and nursing. Then she finally stayed asleep and when we got home she stayed asleep for another 6 hrs! Yay!

Gah, my boobs are reminding me that I was supposed to pump an hour ago. Maybe I'll just go home and feed the baby early.

Happy Monday to everybody!
#380 of 497 Old 03-28-2005, 03:57 PM

Thanks for the welcome all! I look forward to getting to know everyone soon!

Nicole, sorry to hear about your Easter fiasco... it always has to be something, doesn't it? This year for us it was DH's unstable older brother having a near panic-attack in the brunch hall, and then his 12-yo son emulating him and having one too! I feel bad for him but also know how abusive and terrible he can be to his family... and how he refuses to get any help. :sigh:

Our other wacky highlight was DH's stepbrother (who I usually like) telling us how they'd started CIO with their 6mo DD and how great it was, how they wish they'd done it with their DS 'cause now he's spoiled (he's in a very whiny/demanding stage). I do feel sorry for him - he's a SAHD with a toddler and a teether on his hands - so I just replied:

"Dale, I don't think your son is spoiled, I think he's two!"

I thought it was a pretty good response but of course he still urged us to begin CIO early. He also told us the wonders of DD holding her own bottle while watching Baby Einstein. DH and I rolled our eyes all the way home.

Oh and I also got to nurse on a bench in a smelly bathroom - NIP would be scandalous in and of itself, and then there's the fact that DD has latch issues that make her pop off frequently... not gonna happen!

Otherwise it was a fun day! :LOL
#381 of 497 Old 03-28-2005, 04:01 PM

OMG mamas. so much to read adn then my mind is blank to write! I was laughing reading your posts- esp something Jessica said- what was it though.....?

Heidi- so glad to see you here! I'm glad to hear you're having so much fun with Iris. So sorry to hear about the sciatica though. What's helped me in the past is yoga- certain hip openers. With me, it's always one hip that's waaaay tight that pulls my sacrum to one side adn causes problems. It happens periodically and causes pain, sciatica and an altogether unhappy me. It's fortunate for me that my yoga mama is also my massage therpist, so she really knows my body and helps me figure out what will work for me.
maybe this is all a message though to slooooow down? I hear you on being sad about missing out on fav clients, and just staying away. perhaps it's just what you need right now- that if you were feeling better you might be dragging Iris up those stairs to be a part of the visits and stuff. I dunno- just a theory.
I actually do have one birth coming up at the end of April, for a close friend, adn Luka will join me. It should be interesting. Just trying to meet for prenatals has been a hassle though for sure.

Oh Heather- the pics are beautiful. Your ds has the bluest eyes- what a sweetie! And I have to admit that what caught my eye in the pics of Aine was the white tongue.... I'm not alone.....

Lisa- we had a night just like yours. Luka kept falling asleep (from 7 on) and waking up right away. But he was completely UNhappy awake, so it was bounceing and walking and nursing again til he would fall asleep and do that again. Finally was out after 10 (wouldn't have been so bad if I wasn't trying to have some quality time with dh who left this am!)- and slept most of the night. What was up with him? I dunno.

Oh, I just saw what made me laugh at Jessica's post- it was the SPRAY in the bathroom. Yuck!, but funny too!
mama you wrote a tome- but was all interesting. I think you ARE the diaper guru! and so fb are "mainstream"? lol! Every time I change Luka's diaper in public, everyone crouwds around to look at his diapes- they've never seen anything like them! and when they're hanging on the line, in theor rainbow colors, everyone comments on them as well. not so mainstream around here!

another wet and rainy day here. somehow we gotta get to the airport and p/u dh's car. I'm NOT in the mood to stick the car hater in the car though. we'lll see what we can do.
thanks for all the entertaining reading this am!

Oh, and I can't remember who was interested in gauze, but I did post the colors on Sat- if you want some just pm me. I think I'm definitely going into town on Wed.
#382 of 497 Old 03-28-2005, 04:08 PM

Hi mamas!

Going to make this sort of quick before I'm off to drop ds at preschool.

Heidi, I was thinking maybe a floor shiatsu treatment would do you good, or possibly chi gong. Could it possibly that you have some bruising on your spine fromt he epidural? I've heard this can cause really intense back pain for quite awhile .

Jesse - I've tried a few the patterns, they are all fairly similar (a pair of pants is a pair of pants) and by now I just use sort of a mish mash of a bunch of techniques, no real pattern. I like the woolywonders the best - its the most stylish, imo and her sizing is great for chubba wubbas. As, for pocket dipes- I really like the Wonderoos. They fit her very well, although they are a tiny bit bulky (probably because I stuff a prefold in them).

Thanks for the compliments on Violet. She is delish. I'm always trying to nibble her chub.

We had a nice Easter. Went to church, Makai was complteley insane, but so were half the other kids there. Violet and Makai both got baby blessings from the priest, so that was nice. Dh was sort of rude and grumpy all weekend (sounds mean, but he was). Wouldn't help wiht the Easter baskets, wouldn't goto church, just worked and watched tv all weekend : so the kids and I just tried to ignore him and do our stuff.

Karen, I hope dh;s trip gives you the space you both need, and when he gets back things are better. These relationships are tough. Most days I am done with dh, it seems like I'm a single mom - his choice not mine. I wonder if that's how it is with small children (from the stress?) Sometimes I think I should just be on my own, but it seems really hard and I'm too scared to do it. Anyways, sounds like you and dh's relationship is pretty solid, you're just ina dip right now. I hope it gets better mama!
#383 of 497 Old 03-28-2005, 05:21 PM

geesh I just got off the phone with one of my friends and grrrr.

She came over yesterday and when she said bye to dh she said "I hope you come back". didn't really understand WHY she'd say that. But then today she asks me HOW I can let dh go on a trip to another country like that. She says she'd be all worried, it's so far, it's foreign, who cares how much his back hurts, etc.... Well I said that I don't control him and that the deal was that he wouldn't leave me w/o another adult here (the au pair), and that I understood he needed to go (and his back probs affect us all negatively anyways). I also am not afraid of him going somewhere. Then she says she doesn't even like it if her dh goes to HOnolulu overnite.... well that put things into perspective, cuz I am usually glad to have one or 2 nites away just for variety.
anyhow, she just turned my mood.
she's an odd person though adn she really hangs on to her family with a SUPER tight grip.... more than anyone else I know and it's hard to deal with.

my and dh's relationship issues, I'm sure came up because 1) we have a newborn- and his needs are coming 1st adn 2) before we're separated at all, we tend to be on each others cases. has happened before, as annoying as it is.
we do have a lot of issues, but we also do have a very solid relationship in many ways.
it's hard keeping relationships good and fresh when there's a baby/ little kids around. THey take up so much of our time and energy- and they DESERVE it. but we tend to put ourselves adn dhs on the backburner and well, that's not always great.

ok... I'm rambling on adn will stop.
love to you all
and ann- I love the olelo no'eau in your siggy.
#384 of 497 Old 03-28-2005, 06:08 PM

also- I'm clearly using this forum to work out my thoughts...
I also told my friend that it's not a problem for dh to go because I would want the same treatment. When I needed a break this summer, I went to visit my folks adn expected him to take care of the kids and support me. goes both ways, I guess.

anyhow thanks for listening!
#385 of 497 Old 03-28-2005, 06:17 PM

Hey now - that's what this forum is for right? I post stuff like this all the time - I hope nobody minds. That's what we're here for Karen. I wish we were all closer, so we could talk and hang IRL, but I still consider you guys my friends and talk to you the same as I would them.

Dh just called and apologized about being a stinky poo this weekend. He really hates his job and its stressing him out. Anyways, I think I'll keep him

I think the first year of having a baby is SO hard on relationships. The dynamic completely changes - with dh and I everytime we get out of that phase, we have another kid - we just need some time alone together and everyhting will be ok with us.
#386 of 497 Old 03-28-2005, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3_opihi
Dh just called and apologized about being a stinky poo this weekend. He really hates his job and its stressing him out. Anyways, I think I'll keep him
aaawwwww
so good when they recognize how lame they've been!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3_opihi
I think the first year of having a baby is SO hard on relationships. The dynamic completely changes - with dh and I everytime we get out of that phase, we have another kid - we just need some time alone together and everyhting will be ok with us.
sooooooo true. dh had been resisting having a 3rd kid for this reason. it's such a challenge. but then if you make it through, the rewards are AWESOME!!!!
#387 of 497 Old 03-28-2005, 07:58 PM

Hey there-
Karen I like that everyone keeps this so persoanl, even if i have been away it's such a cozy group to return to. We made a great on-line community herre! Anyway, sounds like your friend is just different about that stuff, keeping a tight hold on her partner like that. I know folks like that that stay on top of every aspect off their spouses life, and its kinda weird to me, like they are too controlling and insecure. I think it's awesome he's heading out and think its healthy to have space. I loved it at times when dh worked out of town and I had nights to myself. I was bored at times but rediscovered lots of parts of myself and old friends in that time. i would never ever ever think dh was cheating on me, and I "let him" work out of town, and go on weekend or month long trips alone. I guess folks that have insecurity/fear of chaeting as an issue just couldn't imagine being comfortable with thta kind of space. I say good for you guys. If you have the support you need at home, its not like he's leaving it all on you. Sounds healthy enough to me, I hope he has a good time and gets some back help. I feel for him!

Thansk for the suggestions on the back, too. I am seeing a chiro/massage person wed that hopefully can do something to release it. After that I am going to see if I can find someone to do some therapeutic yoga/ chi gong/shiatusu, as suggested here.

I am glad to hear going back to work went smoothly Jess. I will let you know where we are staying in St. Louis and details as the time is near. It probably makes sense to hook up at lunch SAturday May 16th. Cool.

Oh, I think I'll share this piece of writing I just got from a friend-former client....it made me proud, and made me cry!

Anyway, take it easy, Heidi

The Fiber That Makes a Woman

How expected would it be? How predictable and perfect and “normal” would it be? If on that day, that telling day, that holy day, the beloved, dedicated, earth mama, homebirth, unmedicated, putting herself out there, warrior, tea drinkin’, elderberry fasting, teacher of us all went into a predictable progression. An Oh, here they come, kind of way. A yeah, fill the tub kinda way. A no doubt about it kind of way. And after the pace quickened she fell into that space. That space of knowing, that experiential space. Then we all would have been hovered around our computers checking the blog. Shaking our heads and saying “Yes” here it is the birth we all envisioned, the one we all imagined would come. And how simple would it be? A gentle water birth, no tear, no shit, no puking, no transfer. A storybook, the birth of all births.

But wait, wouldn’t that have just slid by, expected. Like a video in childbirth ed. Like the hopes we all had for ourselves, like the reason we chose to go midwife, unmedicated, unnumb.

No, she needed more growth that that. So the growth goddesses laid it right the fuck on.

Who knew that week what was coming, who knew that “it” could happen to “her.”

Who knew of the infinite healing that would occur on that Valentine’s Day.

All of those women waiting for their midwife to feel a contraction, to feel the insanity, to become one of us.

Who now was speaking for all of the ones who never got to use their homebirth kits. The items that they had checked, double checked, that were left in their wrapping at home and alone. For all of the sheets that lay waiting under plastic for the big reveal. For all of that fucking disappointment, that blame, that deep, hard, impossible place to be.

For all of the tears falling, the outrage, the anger the second guessing and now for all of the knowing. Knowing for real that it isn’t about fault, lack of trying or inadequacy. It isn’t about doing a good enough job. Shit will happen. To the best of us. To the purest, most educated, most advocating, most well intended. And it may floor us; it may send us into places we thought were reserved for the insane, the violent, the depressed and disconnected. But resilient is the fiber that makes a woman.

And this is one hell of a woman, a teacher, healer, educator and friend. A provider of insight and wisdom. That deep, old wisdom that seeps up to us from all of the women who have been before. That knowing kind of wisdom that connects and strengthens.

This is about a giver of gifts. And in the most hardcore and personal of places, she continues to give. This birth story carries a power far greater than any textbook home birth. Its implications will continue to give and grow and empower women. It will help diminish doubt, and heal the old, but tender wounds of women who once thought that they were not powerful enough. As this warrior heals from her wounds she will grow ever stronger. Her growl will be more fierce, her eyes more intense, her heart and soul deeper. And this Mother will pour into her daughter a lifetime of wisdom, a chain that will never be broken, a love unspeakable, and a story of strength, endurance and power. Rock on Heidi, you are an inspiration.
#388 of 497 Old 03-28-2005, 08:13 PM

Oh Heidi, that's beautiful! Thank you for sharing that with us. You are an inspiration, definitely. Your birth story helps me process mine.

Ann, I'm glad to hear that your DH recognized his poopheadedness and apologized for it.

Karen, sounds like you're in for a long two weeks but it'll be worth it. Don't let your possessive friend ruin your mood for long.

Darwinphish, sounds like you belong here. What was the mainstream board you posted on during pregnancy? Was it BabyCenter?
Do you find NIP embarrassing, or was it the people you were with? I don't care a whit who sees me nurse, but then, I never cared who saw my boobs before I had a baby either. I pitty the foo who complains at me about NIP.

Guess what I did this morning instead of working... yep, ordered more diapers. Bad chica!

At lunch today I went home to nurse Evelyn. It is a gorgeous day outside, in the sixties and sunny with a light breeze. Hurray! I nursed her in the porch swing. She looked around and listened to the birds. It turned into a long lunch, because it was so nice. It's a slow week at work so I'm taking advantage of that.
#389 of 497 Old 03-28-2005, 09:17 PM

Heidi that was really sweet. thanks for sharing. yk, I transported for my 1st birth and though I feel like I've come to terms with it and it was 12 years ago.... I still question why that had to be MY story. Sometimes I attend a primip who has a super easy time- or a hard time and stays at home and I am glad for her, but I think why did SHE get to have such a birth and I had to be hooked up to machines??? WHy did I need that help? It'sa journey. But I KNOW that my experience has opened my eyes to things and gives me a better birth perspective.

And one last word on dh's trip. I think we're gonna have FUN here! I love him and love his presence, but when part of your comfort zone is gone, you get creative! I also like having time apart and coming back together- so sweet. AND, my bro and dad are coming to visit the last 5 days dh will be gone and we're going to go stay at a mega resort with waterslides and trams and stuff- disgusting, but the kids will have a blast. so.... all is good.

having trouble trying to get Luka to nap in bed today- that's why I'm on so often (laptop is sitting on the bed, and I keep trying the inch away thing....).
#390 of 497 Old 03-28-2005, 10:58 PM

Hey mamas! I think Lauren is hitting the 3 month spurt early (if she were on time instead of late, she'd be nearly 3 months now!) and so she's been eating and sleeping all day, nonstop. She's been rather pleasant today too, not the child I had yesterday with family!

She nursed to sleep at 6:30 and I actually carried her and put her down (very unusual) and she didn't wake. Yay!

Back in the morning, I'm going to watch part of a show and wait for dh to get home from school, then I'm off to bed.

Lisa

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page