January Babylicious March Thread - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 497 Old 03-31-2005, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
on crunchiness:
I think I wrote about this the other day in my lost post...
I'm crunchy but very normal looking these days. Used to look crunchy too, but got very worried about my message being lost in my appearance. It;s my issue, I know, but I never wanted anyone to not extend breastfeed or not choose homebirth because Ilooked too out there. So I'm not religious and not super hippie. I own my own house and drive a new minivan. I'm just me.
Here the crunchy folks are alsoeither uber conservative religious, OR super hippie, live in a tent folks. In our hb practice we always get excited when we get to go to a real house with running water. lol. other side of the island is different, but that's a broad generalization of here.

we had a poor showing at the LLL metting. oh well. I hosted it because we've lost our meeting place in town and I've been too busy to find a new one. So people didn't want to drive OUT of town.

Jessica- wow, $25 for one diape??? i thought i was way splurging w/the fb!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#482 of 497 Old 03-31-2005, 07:51 PM

Ooh, I am way sick mamas I sent dh out to get me the lecithin, and he calls and asked "soy or kelp" I have no idea, so I said soy. I took a big dose of goldenseal - now my fever is way high (a good thing, I want to flush everything out) But its making me feel more crappy. I think its giving V the sweats too.

So Karen, did you like the Wonderoos?

Paq- do you need dipes? I have lots of prefolds

The site with the jellyroll fold is karen's cloth diaper pages, sorry, I don't know the exact address.

I will mail out everyone's stuff tomorrow, or the next day.
#483 of 497 Old 03-31-2005, 07:59 PM

Annie- think you're sick with the flu? or mastitis is making all the infection?? DRINK DRINK DRINK whatever the case. I've had mastitis a few times and always treated it at home. But I always stay in bed and drink til I have water up to my eyeballs.

wonderoos... she forgot to bring me one to try, but I did check out the ones on her toddlers.... I didn't really like the feel of the suedecloth- felt VERY polyester-y to me. But I might just order one and try it out and see if I like it. Wouldn't be hard to get rid of if I don't!
#484 of 497 Old 03-31-2005, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

WAIT!!! I just put in a req. for 14 new wonderoos! I want about 5 of them. Anyone else want some? I have to wait and hear back from her before I can commit, but don't go buying them new yet! they're 12$ ea. brand new. Bunch of colors. BTW - she also had FUZZI BUNZ – 4 NEW, large, frog print, $10 each. that's it for her stash. Unfortunately she lost an adoption (4th this year, poor mama) so she's selling out the diapes.

Annie - I'm SO sorry to hear you are not feeling well! Yuck. Double yuck having to nurse TWO kiddos with a sore boob and fever and not feeling good at all. I'm so sorry. HUGS HUGS HUGS!!! At least dh came through for you a bit... did he take the kids for a while today?

I asked the mama selling the wonderoos if I could have them all. I said if I can I'd pay her outright for them and deal with the splits on my end, not to worry. That's easier, I think. I sure hope we can get at least some of them! Anyway, I'm always happy to share - I only really need 4 or 5 of them for nighttime. Is that when you use them? Can Makai still wear them? Take care of yoself mama!!!

On crunchiness - I too have become way more mainstream looking the past few years (house, clothes, volvo wagon). After I cut off my dreads, basically. I have very few crunchy mama friends here, basically because the ones I meet are very young (like early 20's, and I'm creeping up on 40 pdq!) and single (although mamas, some of them), and just have a different set of needs and priorities than I have, or are too hippy for me (I actually do enjoy sitting on furniture these days). I haven't met any christian hip mamas yet. Not here, anyway. It's a pretty 'straight' community here. At Beca's school there are a bunch of cool mamas, but I haven't met many yet. Maybe next year, when there's turn over in her classroom (3 yr multiage) there will be some new ones. Most of the ones this year are pretty straight and farily religious (too much for us).

OK, time to go pop some popcorn and chill for an hour. Lotsa hugs! andy

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
#485 of 497 Old 03-31-2005, 11:06 PM

Andy- I'm down for a few Wonderoos- maybe 3-4? just for trying mostly- IF the come with inserts. do they? I like purple
so you were a dready mama? Been there too- for a short while while Ra'am was a baby, but dh had em for 8 years. long and blond. they were nice, but now, here, if you're white with dreads, you live in Puna (hippie area) and live in a tent- well I'm exaggerating a little, but there is a stereotype

Luka fusses..... better go
#486 of 497 Old 03-31-2005, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessitron
Az, how could you tell that the saline was coming out of her mouth? Did you lick her spit?
Do you think maybe she pees this much normally, but you don't catch it when she has a cover on? Maybe that contributes to the redness.
I know the saline was coming out of her mouth because I gave the bottle a good squeez and she was sputtering and coughing and a bunch of clear liquid came out of her mouth.
I think she may pee close to this much normally because some of the diapers weren't as wet as they are when I normally change her, but about 75% of them were. We've gone through 21 diapers today! Well I think 5 were from yesterday.
The redness was/is from the disposibles at night. Its the worst 1st change in the morning and gets lighter as the day goes on, never completly going away but the lowest point has been progressivly getting redder. Its completly gone now, however I couldn't put her in a cloth diaper tonight even if I wanted to. We only have 3 clean ones left and they are all aios, and no doublers.

Annie, sorry your sick. I hope you're resting and Violet isn't getting sick too

Karen sorry you didn't have a good turn out for the LLL meeting.

Crunchiness? I'm not very crunchy, crunchiness requires effort and I'm lazy. We cd, but not because of enviomental reasons, I think cloth is much nicer on baby bums and I have super sensitive skin so we want to keep dd skins as chemical free as possible. I bf and would concider ebf, but there have been many times, many many times, where I've thought about quitting. You guys have kept me going many times. We do babywear, and co-sleep. DS shared a bed with me on and off until he was 5 and a room until he was 4. I do see a midwife, both of my children were delivered by mw. I buy organic when I can afford to. We prefer to shop at local stores. I use a lot of natural products, mostly because of my sensitive skin.
If I could have a garden I would, but we live in an apartment and there not a plant around that I couldn't kill. Plus I'm too lazy to plant one. We do try to conserve energy and half-a$$ recycle.

However I'm more likely than not to vote repulican, and I think that pretty much disqualifies you from being crunchy. We also love our meat. I've tried going veggie but I just can't give up the ham : We're not very religious/spirital. We vax. DS is circ, I didn't know any better and if I had another boy he wouldn't be. Oh dh threw in that I don't partake of anysort of recreational "activities" so I could never be a "real hippie"

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#487 of 497 Old 03-31-2005, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azreial
Oh dh threw in that I don't partake of anysort of recreational "activities" so I could never be a "real hippie"
#488 of 497 Old 03-31-2005, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azreial
Oh dh threw in that I don't partake of anysort of recreational "activities" so I could never be a "real hippie"

aak! us too...sad but true. a few beers here and there just don't cut it any more in the 'real hippie' world :LOL

double aak! The wonderoos are sold. not to us. aakaak

sorry to get hopes up, mine were pretty high too. she still has the FB's (lrg). anyone want? caio, andy

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
#489 of 497 Old 04-01-2005, 12:02 AM

Andy - I could always take a couple of the Wonderoos

Karen I'm cracking up at this
Quote:
Been there too- for a short while while Ra'am was a baby, but dh had em for 8 years. long and blond. they were nice, but now, here, if you're white with dreads, you live in Puna (hippie area) and live in a tent- well I'm exaggerating a little, but there is a stereotype
because one of my very good friends lives down in Puna (old red road) in a tent and has long blonde dreads. I haven't talked to her in awhile because I have no way to reach her, unless she sends me a letter, lol.

Anyways, I'm more in the middle these days - used to be the uber hippy. Dh and I lived in Humboldt county, he worked at the coop while, I went to school and hung with Kobe. Never had the dreads, but I did cut 2 feet off my hair 2 summers ago . I miss that way of life, but it did take alot of effort to look that way. I'm happy with myself these days - no more VW bus, just a dodge caravan and a saturn. But its cool. Dh is a surfer boy. He doesn't like "hippies", I'm not sure how he ended up with me. Oh, we were at a rave and partaking in some "recreational activities"...that's how

I take the kids to the Catholic church, but am far far to liberal to be a good Catholic. There's just something very peaceful and meditative about a Catholic mass that I like, so I go

Whose dh is the entomologist? Can you please tell my dh that there is such a bug as a boll weevil? He doesn't believe me. (and do they bite?)
#490 of 497 Old 04-01-2005, 12:09 AM

FWIW - large FB are big. We used them intermittently on ds with two joeybunz and a microfiber towel. It took that much stuffing in them to fit. He is close to 30 lbs and he still wears mediums.

Crunchiness - I am pretty crunchy on the inside. I shave my legs, wear makeup(sometimes), highlight my hair(sometimes), etc. However I have a garden, I insist that our yard be xeriscape, I recycle, I CD, I cosleep, I selectively vax, ebf, homebirth, etc... I agree that there are two camps. I belong to a local group that have a fractious discussion online around election time. Phew!! things got heated between the liberal and conservative crunchy mamas in our group!!

Diapers - I am in need of covers. I may also be shopping for medium diapers because I don't have enough for two in mediums. So, why are Wonderoos so great?? I personally REALLY LOVE wool. The upkeep is a bit of a pain with bf poops, but it is my cover of choice...

Proudmom
#491 of 497 Old 04-01-2005, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3_opihi

I take the kids to the Catholic church, but am far far to liberal to be a good Catholic. There's just something very peaceful and meditative about a Catholic mass that I like, so I go
Oh, that is me! I went to Catholic school from kindergarten thru high school... I will end up getting Aine baptized. I do enjoy going to mass, but I don't like the bureaucracy and male dominated structure of Catholicism.

Heather
#492 of 497 Old 04-01-2005, 12:21 AM

Annie- where did you live in Humboldt?? Ra'am was born in Arcata. Dh was in grad school there at HSU and we moved here when he was 1. I loved living there, but it was too cold and grey all year round. If the summers had been warmer and the ocean swimmable, we wouldn't have left. I miss the trees!!
#493 of 497 Old 04-01-2005, 02:20 AM

Karen, we lived in Arcata too. I miss it so much! Especially the farmer's market. We went back last summer and I cried and cried. If we ever moved back, that's where we'd go - but I don't think we'll move. We love Hawaii. So, was Jan your midwife?

Heather - you seem like a really cool person. I hear ya on loving wool. Its my fave. Especially yummy merino wool soakers. So, how much does ds weigh? Makai wears a large FB nicely, but he has fleece issues, so we only have very old sad one. I really need to make you a soaker. As soon as I finish up the next few soakers I have, I'm going to do that
#494 of 497 Old 04-01-2005, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3_opihi
Karen, we lived in Arcata too. I miss it so much! Especially the farmer's market. We went back last summer and I cried and cried. If we ever moved back, that's where we'd go - but I don't think we'll move. We love Hawaii. So, was Jan your midwife?
YES... Jan and Barbara were my midwives. Was Kobe born there too? Did you work with Jan? I her and really miss her. When I had Noam here, I just was so sad not to have Jan and my mw here just didn't measure up for the longest time- she ended up later becoming my close friend, and the mw I apprenticed under, but she's not Jan. I also took a beginning midwifery class from Jan.
I haven't been back there in maybe 9 years . Dh and Ra'am were there last year this time. Dh was a judge at the film fest there. I miss Arcata. He talked again about how cool it is there. sigh.

But we also Hawaii!!!

Some good friends were just here for dinner. They always take care of me so well. Brought sushi and pie and then cleaned up all the dishes after dinner. It's nice to have good friends.
Luka had trouble going to sleep w/ the action, and so I HOPE that tomorrow morning he sleeps PAST 6am. These 5:30 am morns are killing me.
#495 of 497 Old 04-01-2005, 05:02 AM

Hi everyone....

Where to start?
With Will the most important---so glad he's extubated and out of the scariest part.

Hope all you sickies feel better.

Iris is getting to be so fun- the last two days she's been a whole new baby very interactive, responsive, and giggly. She's "talking" lots and acting out into her world so much more. She's a very sturdy baby, too, keeping her head up and getting stronger all the time. She just really seems to have suddenly become more grounded. She's 6 1/2 weeks and now 12-11, up from 8-7 at birth and getting to be a chubby one.

Crunchiness- I think I was considered crunchy when I was high school-college age (I was a hairy legged vegan women's studies major, uh, I guess that qualifies), maybe more mainstreamy folks still see me that way, but as a homebirth midwife I try to stay pretty neutral so just about anyone can feel comfy with me. I shed the excessive body hair when I graduated from college and worked for Outward Bound kids program- young boys had a bit to much too say about leg hair for my comfort. I started midwifery school when I was 22 -I had no kids and lived in a house with 4 glitter girls, as many cats, a crazy dog, a tire swing, and a tree house 25 feet high in a big oak. I had imposter syndrome as it was, I felt like I had little business being in something as real and raw as birth with people much more grounded and usually older than me. So I tryed to be accessable and not do anything to turn folks off. Clients are usually on the far right or far left, or at least marching to their own drummer. I wanted the mormons and mennonites to feel as at home with me as the rainbow gathering folks and the Basque rebels. I like to set a neutral, but warmy and cozy, stage at my birth center so whoever comes in can fill it with their personality, who they are, and feel at home.

GIO- It's a fact you don't make much lube when breastfeeding, bring that astroglide on.

The tingly breast feeling- I've bee nwondering about that too think maybe it was the start of a yeast infection, but I think it's just normal let down stuff.

Dipes- After reading all the lengthy musings on dipes, and going to the righteous babe site and dreaming of getting more really nice diapers(I'm a sucker for them cause I am a big Ani DiFranco fan, and her label is righteous babe ) I went and crawled into bed with my baby in her very nice fleece purple rb fleece shell set. I was smug reading about all your night time diaper woes cause I was assured she was in the super dipe. I nursed her a bit and felt a warm rivulet on my belly, and jerked up to find her leaking pee all over me and the bed. I carried her to the changing spot, seeing a butt crack peeking over, and took the diaper off to find it totally dry. A mystery- how'd she pee out of the diaper and it stay toitally dry. Well, she went back to my current night time solution size 0 kissaluv with an all in one for a cover. I love the kissaluvs fitteds, they are our fav. Mine were all used and I had no absorbabncy problems, but they do get soaked. They fit great though, and go good with a bummis wrap. I'm sorry I missed the size 1's i need to get some. And Ann if you still got your wraps and prefolds's I'd love em.

How's your back now Karen? What's up with all the back trouble? Too bad LLL wasn't a big event. I am impressed you would take on having all the folks over. My house is far from that state. I still can't bend and reach well, so a frind came and cleaned my floors today. She asked how sleepy Iris would do with the vacuum, and it made me thin I really don't think she'd heard it yet

Thanks Andy for the distance healing offer. I'll take whatever vibes you got...
My regular (free) chiro was more helpful this week, my (free) massage was canceled this week and her husband a retired chiro was gonna look at me too. He's done some special points for sciatica in massage. And I couldn't afford my accupuncture this week. I feel like my back is better, and the sciatica just needs to heal- the nerve is irritated at this point. But my energy is overall way better, so I have hope. I definately would have overdone it if I'd had more energy earlier. As soon as I got a glimmer of energy my mind was racing as to what I could busy my renewed self with. But somehow, taxes, which need much attention, didn't come up as the answer......

And Jess- i am so iimpressed with your graceful return to work. How cool you have a reliable family member for evelyn. I haven't tried pumping yet, somehow figuring how to insure my used medela pump is sanitary and then figuring how to store milk has been an obstacle since I have been not doing to much more than sitting in a chair. I made my hotel reservation for St. Louis- we are staying at the Windham (sp?) historic hotel downtown Thursday May 12th leaving Sunday May 15th. There are wedding activities Friday night and my cousin's wedding is Sat night. We have Friday day all free and Sat I don't know if we'll hang with family or be out and about.

So, take care all. It's 3 am and I have the birth center mom's group and a birth center meeting tomorrow....what am I doing up?
geez, it's april now, time for a new thread!
Heidi
#496 of 497 Old 04-01-2005, 05:41 AM

Heidi- what on earth are you doing online at 3am??? Last night I was feeling insomniac and thought about getting online like I did while pregnant, but I stopped myself because I remembered that I'd have to take care of Luka all day adn that he likes to wake up sooo early! damn
Thanks for asking about my back. I've been doing the exercises the chiro gave me (she's also a PT). Basically I'm doing pelvic tilts and moving my arms and legs. It's helping, but I'm DEFINITLY going to need another adjustment or 2 next week. My sacrum is always shifty and my lumbar spine is just locked up. I'm on the road to recovery though. gotta be....

Righteous babe..... another diaper site- will check it out today.
and why am I still up? Was falling asleep at the puter but checked my email one last time and there was one from dh.... missing him. He's feeling confused about shopping for me- he hates shoppiong and I said he HAD to bring me back stuff. poor guy. He says the brutal thai massage he's getting seems to be working. I hope so. his back is BAD.

gotta sleep. g'nite all!
#497 of 497 Old 04-01-2005, 11:18 AM

New thread mamas, come on over to April!

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page