January Babylicious March Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-05-2005, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yikes Andy, talk about *pressure* I know nothing about wool or diaper covers beyond the bummis we have... but I'll try! Most of the gals selling today are on my crunchy local email list, so I trust their work and their opinions... I'll ask and find out what to get for you.

I'm taking my best friend with me - she's pg (due Aug) and has a 15 mo. old girl too, when she was pg w/#1 she was the uber-mainstream parent, set up the perfect nursery, bought all the baby gadgets, etc. and then ended up AP by accident - she kept falling asleep while nursing baby in bed, they still co-sleep, she's still bf'ing #1 and plans to tandem when 2 is born, and now she's asking me about dipes. Since all I use are cpfs, we're going to look at fitteds and such today for her. So while she learns about fitteds, aios and covers, I'll learn about covers too.

And I'm really excited because I'm going to use the wrap I made to wear Lauren today. I should really take my maya instead, since the gal who does babywearing classes will be there doing instruction, I'm having such a hard time being comfortable in the maya and getting her in snug enough to move around the house. But no, I want to wear my wrap.

And this afternoon if it stays above freezing we're going to go to the maple sugaring fest in the park, taking my 8 yo niece along, and the dog. Yesterday my lovely dog rolled in the nastiest stinkiest muddy poo stuff in the park while walking with dh, they came home and she was a chocolate lab instead of a yellow.

Ann, oh life as a good Catholic! Over here, we've been eating steak on Friday nights, by the time I've started dinner I realize it's Friday. UGH. Dh and I really aren't practicing either, so now we have the torment of his Irish and my Italian families about baptizing Lauren. Ooooh the pain and torture!

Gotta run and shower, somehow I have to manage to feed babe and bathe myself in the next hour.

Lisa

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2005, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Lisa - SERIOUSLY no pressure. I'm so sorry...:-(

I have some wraps coming, and some soakers. I just won three wraps on ebay, although my paypal acc't is not working for me...hmmm. Anyway, go and educate yourself, enjoy having a day with your wrap, your baby, your friend, and lots of cool mamas! Don't even think about my world, PLEASE!

Ok, this is not technically a rant, but I am SO confused! Ori was up at 6am, as usual, I passed him off to dh in exactly the condition he passed him to me in last night - poopie - and went back to bed (having been up till 2am (duh) and still really tired). They played with dd until 9am, and then he brought him upstairs *in a clean diape!* and we nursed for about 40 min. Then it was nap time, but the little stinker wouldn't sleep. I rocked, sang, swaddled, burped, sang more, bounced, bla bla bla. Finally, in desperation, I puthim down to go pee and WHAMMO - the kid is asleep. WTF?!?! I totally don't read this kid sometimes, and it's so disconcerting. HELP? Anyone else go through this? How do I learn his signals on this kind of thing? It's so counter-intuitive to me to just plop the kid down on the bed and walk away...and he's never done this before, that I recall. Geesh!

Well, time to go check the mail for the first time today. Hey - never know when the parcelfairy will appear! Bye!

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
Old 03-05-2005, 03:19 PM

Andy- one of these days you'll figure that baby out. maybe just don't try anymore and see what happens
I hope your packages come today! I know what it's like to obsess over stuff coming in the mail and it can be frustrating!!!! you'll get your wool!

Ann- what a sad story about the neighbor. I don't know how it would be to have a neighbor adopt a kid- one that you saw ALL the time. I have a friend who has 2 kids who were adopted by a couple- my friend sees them (they are on the mainland).... i don't know that i could do that. i hope they come to a happy solution for everyone!

oh mamas, we had a visit form a 2 week old yesterday! What a difference 3 weeks makes. I'm not necessarily referring to size, but affect. this babe was taken too early IMO(scheduled c/s), but she just is so different than Luka is now. he's all wide-eyed, alert (she's real sleepy). Interesting thing is that this mama has a 2 yo she's still nursing. Baby wasn't gaining (I think she was born too early and is sleeping off drugs and stuff) and so the mom is supplementing the baby with formula..... but then also nursing them both. Seemed weird to me, but it was clear that she did NOT want to discuss it or think of a better solution. hmmph. she's a friend's friend, so we don't have a long track record or anything. I think her high needs 2 year old made her ap by necessity and since this baby is mellow, she can go back to"regular" parenting. whatever

better get back to my baby. he's on my knees looking for me
Old 03-05-2005, 03:24 PM

Hmmm...the Irish Catholic thing hasn't helped my knitting

Perhaps it is also because we seem to eat chicken every Friday. Lisa, we also are struggling with the baptism thing. DS was baptized and we have arranged for dd to be. The tough part was that we don't go to church! I have struggled lately with it, and I am not sure what to do. We will probably start going again.

I have two knitting projects going and they have been that way for months I wish I had your skills, Ann!!

No help for you, Andy. DD is much different from ds. I am modifying daily...

Proudmom
Old 03-05-2005, 03:29 PM

Hey Heather- it's March 5th- have your dreams come true yet??? It was your sister's EDD right?
Old 03-05-2005, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Karen - I just noticed that too, that it's Mar. 5 - well I'm dying to know how it went/goes Heather! Well, I didn't go skiing today. I think the measels comment really freaked me out. Now I don't want anyone to see my baby, at ALL! Beautiful day here today, so we did go for a walk, and I got 3 Lana soakers in the mail - Yeah!! the first is drying now. Your vibes worked Karen! Thank You!

Ann very tough situation - I think you've made the only sane choice - be neutral. I wish them all luck!!!

very fussy boy right now, so caio.

Old 03-05-2005, 08:07 PM

lol andy, i even stopped at the bank to make sure i had enough cash for both of us, and nobody had any wool. lots of aios and fitteds, i got some swim dipes too, and i found a new carrier a local mom makes that i MUST have. i've becone sling/carrier obsessed. i guess its been cheaper than a dipe obsession.

lauren did the sleep as soon as i walked away thing last night. they do like to play with our minds, eh?

yah this catholic thing is going to be an issue. my niece wasn't baptized until 3 but my brother was also a teen parent and didn't really care what was going on, dh's brother baptize their ds1and then converted to mormon out of the blue, so the irish side got really bent out of shape over that and forgot about baptizing their ds2. we were married in the church but have only been a dozen times since, and i really appreciate how i was raised and the structure it provided, yet i feel so uncompelled to do it now.

lisa

Old 03-05-2005, 08:46 PM

Andy, is this what you were trying? http://www.mamatoto.org/Default.aspx?tabid=162

Old 03-05-2005, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

OMG It SO is exactly what I was trying for. I thought it could be done with weenie ones, but not being able to hold his head up means I want to support the head with some cloth, which means his whole little self is inside the cloth. That was our downfall, 'cause he just sort of slumped into a lumpy little bump and then started to slide. The cloth is genuine Kanga from Zimbabwe, just exactly the right length etc., but getting him on and in was harder than that cute little vid. makes it look!

Gotta go get dinner on the table! Our neighbor went skiing in my place and BROKE HIS COLLARBONE! I can't believe it. His folks are away for the week, and we're sort of his "other" family for now, so I'm going to try to have this done before dh gets back from the hospital with him. Drag, huh!

I need to be VEEERY careful about spending on the carriers - once I get the Kanga thing down that's probably all I'll need for a long time. Oh, and I looked up the sling online and got directions for a bunch of holds, it's a jellybean or jellybaby Kindersling, and it's a good sling, I'm not dissing it at all, but getting used to how to put the little fella in there is hard. I made up a new hold today, trying to get his little bum in the air to get some wind out of him. It worked for about 20 min.

I'm not loving the front carrier right now, because of the head support issue. The sling is better, but I constantly have one hand on him, just a little. I'll have to use it a lot more before I really trust it. Usually he faces front and leans over my arm. ok - THANKS Lisa - I REALLY appreciate your thinking of me today - I hope you had FUN!

Have a good night/afternoon mamas! andy

Old 03-05-2005, 10:14 PM

I am totally with you all on the baptism thing. We haven't done it yet, mainly because anyone we would want to be godparents lives on the mainland. I can never make it to church on time -there's only one mass, Sunday at 9:00 so we haven't gone in a looong time. ds sometimes goes with our neighbors to the christian services on saturday night. He likes it because they have a little sunday school where and a lot of his classmates attend. I don't know though, the whole "born again" just isn't for me. I've been thinking of signing ds up for CCD lately but dh is just sooo not into the whole thing - he was raised japanese buddhist. I think its important for the kids to have knowledge of both religions, and honestly, I tend to lean more towards the buddha anyways So we'll see. Ds1 starts Japanese school this year, and its at the buddhist mission, where they are required to attend temple. So I think he'll get a good taste of it there.

Heather - not sure if Catholicism made me a great knitter. Probably just made me overly pushy when it comes to giving people things and have a bad temper, :LOL.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:45 AM

Hey, that's neat about tying the baby on the back, it's what my mw recommended. Still can't get her happy in the maya unless she's asleep.

As far as baptism etc, we had a pagan ceremony for dd1 and I'm planning the same for dd2, this one will be sometime around conception date, as I feel she will have been with us for a year at that time, and it will be the end of the 4th trimester. I'm purposely making sure she doesn't touch the ground before then, it's an old tradition in some cultures. I know my mil won't be happy, as last time, rather than simply gracefully decline the invitation, she called all the other grandparents (two sets as both my parents remarried), TELLING them it was wrong and they shouldn't support me in this, and it was sinful to attend. Well, my Dad bought it, so even though I'd talked to him about how I'd arranged the ceremony so he wouldn't have to actually be there for the ritual, and he was totally cool with going, he changed his mind. He was actually the one who told me mil had called. Anyway, it makes me angry still to think back, and we haven't really sorted it out. Whenever I try to start up a dialog about religion it falls apart on her end.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:10 AM

Hey Pam, that's really cool that you will do a ceremony like that! When you have the time, and if you're willing, could you share some of what you did/will do?
We're culturally Jewish, but not religious. In theory, the ceremony my boys should have gotten is a circumcision :, but we don't do that (thankfully). The *only* good thing about it, is that it's a rite of passage into the world. But still not our cuppa tea. It would be nice to mark Luka's entrance into the world somehow though. In many places, the big celebration comes at one year and we might wait until then. Our ds1 will have a bar mitzvah (another religious rite of passage which we are semi reluctantly taking part in for family reasons) at the same time that Luka turns one- all of our family will be here, so we might have a celebration for him then. we'll see. don't want to take the glory away from ds1.....

it's been a mellow day here. My friend was here sketching Luka and I. She wants to do a block print of us. A few years ago she did a painting of our yard with Noam and a friend playing. I never got to see the original becuase she sent it to a show and it was bought quicly, but she made greeting cards and they are awesome. So I'm eager to see what she creates- if she stays motivated.
Now I'm just starving and completely UNmotivated to cook anything. Should get dh to cook- he went diving and then hung out partying with his buddy most of the day (something he NEVER does, so a good thing).

Anyhow, rambling I am. Hope everyone is having fun!
Old 03-06-2005, 03:42 AM

Well, today was an okay day. Will didn't nap well, but since DD was/is skiing with my parents for the weekend, we were all over town, so it was our own fault. He is sleeping now (and I should be) but the evening was pretty awful, so here I am. (I'll get into that later)

BC - DH is getting snipped. We were planning to have it done already, but due to Will's impending surgery we got to have a very fun conversation about why we should wait until after that event. To horrible to contemplate, but I/we don't want Emily to be an only child.

Baptism - Will is being baptised, actually on the 26th of this month. I usually would have waited for a while, but I feel like it is really important to have it done before the surgery.

Now for my horrible night. We have these friends who we have know for nearing 3 years. They have no children. We also have a very good friend that we have had since college, almost 10 years now. These 3 came over for dinner, and our friend from college has a new girlfriend. It is very clear that the four of them have been hanging out together quite often and we have not been invited. Not a big deal, but it made the night very awkward. They have all these things they have been doing, and it made me feel very conflicted. On the one hand, I resent the fact that we have kids and can't do things with them at the drop of a hat. On the other hand, I resent them because they leave us out of things because we have kids. Perhaps it is an emotional thing, but I seriously feel like our friends have no more time for us because we have children.

I thought writing it down would help me feel better, but no such luck. Perhaps some sleep would do me good.

Hope everyone is having a better night then me.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter

Hey now - still awake here (why?!). Nicole - I think that is the crux of why so many people grow apart (GROW being operative here). The ways that we push limits, the kinds of fun we have just change as our family status changes from boy/girlfriend to married couple to family. It's ok to feel unhappy that the change has happened, but it is BOUND to happen - change is all that we can count on. It's good that you can still do SOME stuff with those folks, and also good that they enjoy each other's company. If things stay akward, it's likely that the friendships will dissolve, sad to say. Try to talk with them (individually?) about it, and see if they felt the akwardness too. It's always better just to tell them straight out that you KNOW you have kids (DUH?!) and that you can't do all the stuff you used/would like to do with them. BUT that you are happy that they are still your friends and you are working on your feelings about losing out on some of the fun stuff. If you keep them in the loop, it might help you not feel akward. This happened to me too - one of my very best and oldest friends, which in one way made it easier (to talk) but made it super hard because I didn't want to see her bonding in 'that' way with other friends. She was MY friend first! I know how you must be feeling, and I think that talking about it in safe arenas and getting to understand those feelings is a HUGE step toward getting past the worst of the feelings. Nighttime pshrink andy signing off.

Old 03-06-2005, 12:11 PM

Wow, I would have thought that haveing teeny babies would have slowed down the postings not increased them. Everyone just has so much to say.

We're not getting Elizabeth baptised. DS isn't baptised either (his dad was violently opposed) I don't have any strong opinions if dh wanted to do it we would, but he doesn't so we're not. Both of us were raised catholic to some extent. MIL is very religious but becuase of the extreem greed of the local catholic church she converted to espicapol when dh was a an early teen. My sister and I went to our catholic church sometimes and to my aunts church of the nazareen (I'm really sorry I can't spell anything today and I'm putting no effort into it), with a bit of my uncle's evangalist church throw in. WE got married in a non-demoniational church. MIL was semi-happy about that, we were oringally planning an outdoor wedding with a jp. MIL doesn't know that ELizabeth is not getting baptised yet. DH says he thinks it will be quite a mess when she does know, crying pleading etc. I think a lot of his family if going to be upset.

As for attenting church. I do like to go now and again. I always enjoyed the cathloic masses, especially around the holidays, not sure how much my beleifs fit with theirs, but... I always felt good after going to church, except my uncle's church (I hate strangers touching me, and random people at his church will walk up and hug you : ) I would like to go more than I do, but I never seemed to make it. There's a few church's in walking distance from my apartment. I should see what time their masses are

Elizabeth is starting to sleep for longer strecthes. Yesterday she napped from about 8:30 to about 1. Then last night she slept from 9:30 to 2. At night I always seem to get one long stretch then she wakes up every two or less hours after that until we get up.

Well she's up got to go

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
Old 03-06-2005, 01:41 PM

See, that whole godparent thing, that's the problem we really have right now, I think dh would go along with a baptism if I asked, but I'm not sure I want it or not, anyhow, back to point, we don't have anyone to ask to be godparents. We have very few close friends who are Catholic and we really don't want to ask them, and our siblings are either not cath or are not the kind of people you'd want to be godparents.

Either way, my mother has already gotten out my gown, she spent 2 weeks locked in her room making it when I was born, hired a sitter to sit in the house with me and bring me in to nurse and keep me occupied so she could finish it. Had special imported fabric and lace and who knows what else but it was uber-$$ at the time to make. And it's now cleaned and she's embroidered my initials and my brothers (although he was too big to wear it, they just laid it over top of him), and she's all excited about Lauren using it too. UGH. She's too big too, she'll never fit in it, and then dh's grandparents (grandpa is in the hosp. in Fla) who were angry with me that she wasn't born before they left for Fla. called to tell us we can't have a baptism until they come home at the end of April. Oooh ugh ggggh!

Andy, does Ori do a Stevie Wonder type head thrashing on your breast when he's so super tired like that? Lauren is doing that, and I just get tired of it and I pull my shirt back down and roll away from her, and 9x out of 10 she falls asleep in 2 min. I think maybe the boob is too much stimulation for her when what she really needs is left alone, so you might just be on to something by walking away.

Isn't there a girl-equiv. of a circumcision in Jewish tradition? I want to say maybe a naming ceremony or something? Could we all just do naming ceremonies or a blessingway type thing? Forget holy water and snipping boys, there has to be a better solution! Maybe Pam can teach all of us about her ritual.

Got to go, someone is squeaking from dh's arms, I think she's giving a potty signal but he's ignoring it... "I think she NEEDS to poop!" just got his arse up.

Ooooh and magical discovery, I made pancakes today with rice milk, and they taste nearly the same as regular pancakes, which means I'm a happy girl again. I'm going to have to go get more rice milk though, so I can make a big batch of pancakes and freeze them, it's better to micro them for a few seconds than try to hang on to babe and cook.

Lisa

Old 03-09-2005, 10:52 AM

Oh my goodness! I never knew just how much I would miss you guys until we had to go 3 days without posting. Thank goodness it is back up.

Not much has really happened over the last 3 days. We are still waiting to hear from the surgeon and the hospital to see when they are going to do the surgery. The insurance denials keep rolling in, but until I get actual bills, we are pretty much ignoring them.

Well, I better get going for the day. Have a good one.

Good to "see" you all again.
Mamabeca - hope Ori is sleeping better.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa2976
Andy, does Ori do a Stevie Wonder type head thrashing on your breast when he's so super tired like that?
Mine rubs her face back and forth on my shirt between my breasts and snorts and grunts; she'll do it if I'm topless but she seems frustrated if there's no shirt there. It's been puzzling me. She seems sleepy when she's doing it so maybe that is it, but I was thinking that she's either trying to itch her face or clear her nose out, since she's both spotty and snuffly.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:28 AM

Hehehe, yes, Lauren does the face rubbing thing, especially back and forth on the bed, maybe it's the baby equiv. of rubbing our eyes when we are tired?

OOoooh so happy to be back, I resorted to chatting on the AP thread on evil babycenter I was so lonely! And yesterday I could have written a dissertation on here, Lauren slept in, then slept 2 4 hr. naps, and slept all night (of course that was only 2-3 hrs at a time so I'm tired today...) - she seriously grew yesterday, because I cut her nails on Monday and I need to do it again. We'll hit the scale today and find out what's up.

Nicole, ooh I hear ya, I just spent 2 days on the phone with India and S.Africa, where the insurance outsouces the call center... they really don't understand what I'm explaining, but I managed to get transferred up the chain of command 3x and finally back to someone in the states. And they told me everything is going to be ok, they are just waiting on some checks to clear?

Andy, did you guys get pounded with the storm? We only got a dusting but it's bad cold here.

Pam, how goes nakeybutt? I think we are doing better at night catching than during the day. I really need to pick a few days to just go nakey and figure her out.

Oooh and someone local started a diaper free group, we have our first meeting on Friday!

Lisa

Old 03-09-2005, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Hola! My dh seriously thinks I'm addicted to this chat line - I'm not sure he's wrong, but I, too, am GLAD we're back up! I feel like I was back in seclusion!

My .02 on the face rubbing is that they're tired. I don't think the spots make them itchy, but Ori also has dry skin on his face, and that might be itchy. I'm seriously paying attention to those signals. Even in doing that, though, he will still have 'no sleep' days. Y'day he slept maybe 1.5 hrs. all day (although he also nursed quite a bit and rested doing that, so maybe it was a little more), and then really fussed about going to sleep at night, too. Dh finally got him down (and crashed with him). Then he fussed again at 3am. geesh!

Lisa - we got a small knock - about 6 or 7 inches. The wind was amazing, though! No damage, but the snow is in actual (tundra like) drifts! We couldn't open the back door, there was like 18 inches blown up against it. Dh had to go out the garage and dig it out. LOL!! It's wicked cold here, too, but VERY bright and sunny today. Walking the dog this AM I was just about BLINDED! The wind is down now, too. I got to walk the dog while dh was ironing and Ori hung out in his chair and dd showered (twice becuase she forgot to rinse out the conditioner LOL!). It was nice to get outside in the daylight hours! Sometimes I feel like a bit of a vampire, because I can only get out of the house when dh is here (before 7:30am or after 6pm). I can hardly wait for the weather to really warm up so I can get OUT!

Oh, really super news - I'd forgotten all about these wonderful silk pieces that dh brought back froma trip to China about 4 yrs ago. They are PERFECT for tying on baby! I haven't tried it with Ori yet, but with the 5 lb pillow (buckwheat) it works like a charm. They are also really beautiful. sigh. may be the answer to all my problems!!! Then again, I won't get my hopes up too high. He's almost holding up his head regularly now - just bobbles when he's feeling mushy.

Nicole - hang tough mama. This is the hard part. Once he's through the surgery, he'll be bright and peppy, even more than he is now. Just keep talking to us, to anyone who will listen to keep the anxiety levels low. He's really very strong, and will come through all this with shining colors, I'm sure.

Pac - I feel your pain, mama. I know these babies will figure out the sleep thing eventually...it's just having the tenacity to not fall apart before they do that is killing me. Actually that and not snapping at every living thing around me because I'm wound so tight from the baby not sleeping... well, good days and bad days, but he's still YUMMY!

Ok, must help dd (2 hr. delay on school) finish her puzzles. Chat more later! Andy

Old 03-09-2005, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.gypsymama.com/shop/products.php?id=1

check this out if you're interested in a wrap style carrier . they're on sale for preorder discount prices, if you're in the market. I'm not promoting, or vouching, btw. andy

Old 03-09-2005, 12:08 PM

Well, I had a really rotten two days at home with the babies. I'm really at my wit's end. Yesterday, I did the unspeakable and hit my poor dd1 while trying to pry her off dd2. I don't think she even noticed it, it was a little slap on the leg, but I didn't realize it happened till after. I am so ashamed of myself. It's hard to even post it. I've been slacking off EC while the days are so hard. I still catch a few, but I've been diapering her some.
I'm really getting worried about the psychological effects my dd2 will suffer from being hit and hurt on a daily basis. DD1's latest thing is to rock the playpen back and forth (we got it to keep the baby safe, but it's not working). I get so angry at her, I'm a mess. I'm almost ready to give up on AP and everything. The only thing keeping me from running awaysomtimes is the thought of dd2 having to go on formula.

Anyay, sorry I don't have anything good to say...

Glad to be back, though
Old 03-09-2005, 12:18 PM

Yeah it's back

Pam so sorry you had a rough few days. Try not to be ashamed about it. I know I've lost my temper several times with my first dd. It's hard but when she's throwing stuff at the baby, what else is there to do. Especially since I'm so sleep deprived. She's actually getting better with her, so things are improving.
big ((HUGS)) to you, i hope things improve

We only got about 4-5 inches of snow but the wind was ferocious. Some of our doors are frozen shut, can't see out of some of the windows cuz of ice and snow all over them and it's absolutely freezing! spring is how many days away and windchill is -10 degrees! insane

Megan is been kinda cranky past few days, I'm about to lose it. I just broke down and cried yesterday. For about 6 hrs straight each day she is so unconsolable. I hold her most of the time, so needless to say not much gets done and my first dd get's a bit short on the attention side. She doesn't even like the sling so that doesn't help much. Hoping it will pass.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:38 PM

Andy we had a school delay here also. The kiddos were only having a half day anyway so we didn't bother to send him, school would have been 9-11. Plus he has been sick and home from school for the last two days. I'm sure another day home won't hurt, where he still seems a little off.

Man I am so glad mdc is back up. I really missed it. I'm a bit of a recluse (dh says I'm almost a hermit) so this is a big sorce of "social interactions" for me. Though it wasn't so bad sicne I did finally get a wipes warmer that I've been wanting to get.

Sleeping hasn't been going so well here. We had a real rough 24hrs. Elizabeth has been super fussy. She's sleeping now but I doubt it will last very long. Last night after not getting more than 15 minutes of sleep at a go I gave up and came downstairs and popped her in the swing. I really didn't care if she screeched all night at that point. She had started fussing at 4am the previous night. Luckily dh had soem sense and picked her out the moment she fussed the teenist bit. He walked her and bounced her and talked to her and gave her a bottle (thank god I didn't give up pumping, even though I get so little) and got me some sleep and even better a camler baby who slept somewhat better for the rest of the night. I got 45min-1hr strecthes

oh well she's waking up now, not even 30 minutes I'm just about ready to take a 4 hour drive just so she'll get some sleep and hopefully be in a better mood

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
Old 03-09-2005, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeca
I don't think the spots make them itchy, but Ori also has dry skin on his face, and that might be itchy.
That might be part of it, too. I've got some on my chin right now and they're super itchy, but plenty of dry skin, too. I run the vaporizer but it doesn't do much good in this house. Plus I dry my laundry hanging all over the house, and it's still dry in here.

Pam: Hugs! What about a timeout or solitary naptime or whatever for DD1? Might not be the greatest thing, but could get you and the baby a break.

Sorry about the rough sleepers. Mine's good today, but yesterday was difficult. I hate not being able to figure out what she wants! I feel so guilty, and then I get mad at her. Like what's she supposed to do, she's already trying to tell me and I just don't get it. And my husband's changed schedule so we're off an hour. I get almost no evening break, and he gives up on trying to calm her himself if she fusses more than like 45 seconds and gives her back to me.

Monday we did pictures at Sears, but she was not happy or smiley, and she cranked so much her face was pretty red and blotchy (otherwise it's all but gone now, until she cries). So I just bought the $10 package, and anyone in the family who just HAS to have an Easter portrait can buy one from their website. I think that's pretty cool, that you can share the url with the pics and family can buy whatever they want.

Hmm, maybe I'll try to slip her into the sling and wash some dishes.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:36 PM

I missed you ALL mamas. That was a rough 3 days, eh?

OK, plug for book. I got that happiest baby book yesterday. Luka was having a fussy day (and of course we have visitors). He just couldn't seem to get in a good sleep and so he'd wake up and be happy for 10 minutes and then fuss and cry until he was asleep again. Well I busted out the book and swaddled him (didn't get to the rest). He had been crying for awhile- nothing was working to soothe him. I wrapped him up and he was asleep within minutes (crying stopped instantly) and then he slept for 6 hours! he just doesn't sleep that long. I think he might have even slept longer but when i heard him make a few noises I rousted him to nurse because I thought i'd burst. woo hoo. still woke up at 6am, but i'm feeling a lot more rested than before!

hugs to pam and sweetpeas mom and everyone frustrated with their older kids. I've found that whenever they get really annoying, it's gnerally a phase that will soon pass. Pam, Geneva will just have a different perception of reality as a second child... they handle more "abuse" and can nap in louder places.

we've had lots of guests since mdc was down. Had a big party here on sunday and I was really worried that Luka would get all overstimulated ad never sleep. But he did really well- barely fussed- even got passed around happily.

ok, he's fussing now- I better not ignore him- i'll be back later

Old 03-09-2005, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

I read that around six wks of age is the HARDEST for infants. They are growing fast, adjusting lots to the noises, feels, smells and sights that accost them continually, and they are starting to move past the newborn and into the infant stage of development. It's the hardest for parents and according to that source (which my milk for brains head can't think of right now) it is normal to feel overwhelmed, angry (even at the baby), unable to soothe or comfort the baby, and, just to top things off, it is also the height of sleep deprivation.

The good news is that it really does get better! Once past the hurdles, and who actually knows how many there are, things smooth over and you get a nice grace period before the next wave of panic ensues. uh huh.

Pam - I wish I had some words of wisdom, but I can offer my sympathy and encouragement. You are a WONDERFUL hardworking and very loving mama. Dd1 is just young and wanting ALL that wonderful attention she was getting up until recently. Soon she will not even remember life without babe, so just hang in there. IMO, I think the needs and safety of both girls is more important than diapers/no diapers, but I'd like to think that it's possible for you to continue to ec ...just know that if you decide to stop for a while you can go back to it later (like when dd2 moves into that lovely phase of biting and hair pulling and can defend herself better!) ;-)

Oh, just gotta love the half-assed vacuum job I did while slinging Ori today...totally pathetic, but at least I get to say I got SOMETHING done and he wasn't howling and a few layers of dog hair have been removed...so sad :-)

Az- hope ds is getting better quick! I know with dd here, it's SO much harder to schedule life: them wanting baby, attention, love and so forth makes it really hard to stay focused. It's really REALLY hard for me to imagine how mamas do this with babies/toddlers at home. BIG HUGS!!!

Gotta go get ready for Brownies today...not exactly looking forward to it because there's a big parents mtg I called because co-leader has drifted to sea without even a phone call...ugh. I can't do this by myself (although I have been), so it's time to schedule some activities the moms/dads are willing to do. sigh. Ok, take it easy mamas. It's SO nice to hear from everyone!

Old 03-09-2005, 04:34 PM

Andy, I was just looking at gipsymama for a gauze wrap. I love the moby-esque one I made from polycotton knit, but it's a bit warm for summer. Great now under my coat with babe to take walks though.

Happiest baby - oh yes, I think it's a great idea, we do all the S's except hand babe a paci, although she gets to nurse if we're not bouncing/walking her around. Speaking of which, she's cranky again, I'm thinking a swaddle and nurse might put her to sleep for a few hours.

Hugs to you mamas with toddlers, wow, I can't imagine, I'm soooo tired and intolerant right now already!

Lauren is 13 lbs today. My arms are getting buff!
Lisa

Old 03-09-2005, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeca
http://www.gypsymama.com/shop/products.php?id=1

check this out if you're interested in a wrap style carrier . they're on sale for preorder discount prices, if you're in the market. I'm not promoting, or vouching, btw. andy
lol Andy, I pre-order one in the sky color earlier today before I even saw this. Are you on the baby wearing co-op yahoo group too?

Old 03-09-2005, 08:46 PM

Thanks mamas for encouragement. Today could've been a bad day, as it satrted out that way, but MIL came by in the afternoon for a few hours, had fun with dd1, dd2 slept, and I did a balance of tidying and sitting around chatting. Then the public health nurse was by, so I've had lots of company.
I may give up EC. It's really important to me, and it's going well, but it's something I feel I could cut loose if I had to.
At least we sleep well around here most nights. *hugs* to the mamas with rough nights and sleep deprivation. Really liked Happiest Baby with dd1, haven't really used it with #2, but she likes to bounce. Not much of a comfort nurser.

We're getting the kid's book "I Have Feelings" from the library. I hope it helps #1 to express herself more.

I found a sling position yesterday that G likes. She was ha;f asleep, so that helped, and then she fell asleep and stayed that way for half an hour while I played with dd1. I had her half-sitting up with her feet towards the rings, her body perpendicular to mine, and the top rail behind her head for support. I was able to chase dd1 around the house and play one of her favourite tickle-chase games, and then we did a puzzle, and I think I can nurse them both with this position.

User Tag List