Car seat trauma - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 03-03-2005, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live in Northern California, and am currently visiting my mother in LA with my 5 week old daughter. I took Amtrak to Bakersfield and Mom picked us up for the rest of the trip. This involves a trip over the San Gabriel mountains. I did not think about the discomfort that my no pacifier breast baby was going to experience with the pressure changes. Next trip we will take the bus the rest of the way to LA, but I have to get her back over those mountains in the car on the 15th. Does anyone have ANY suggestions, or just moral support?

This isn't the only time we've been stuck in a situation where she has been very distressed and we've been unable to pull over so I can get her out of the carseat and nurse/comfort. I always sit in the back with her, and hold her as best I can, but it is upsetting to her, me, and the driver. What do other mamas do? I take public transit whenever I can, I just need advice for the unavoidable situations.
#2 of 15 Old 03-03-2005, 07:19 PM

Can she suck on your pinky? Can you manuever yourself to nurse while she's in the carseat? If nothing else, the crying will help her ears feel better -- not that that will make it much easier for you.

#3 of 15 Old 03-03-2005, 07:23 PM

Can she hold her head up well? The reason I'm asking is Nitara hated her infant seat but when I put her in the convertible seat at 2 mos old she immediately improved and has never screamed in the carseat since. I wonder if you could borrow a convertible to test out before your trip? Some babies just don't like infant seats. They are all scrunched up and can't see anything but the back of the seat. A convertible allows them to see out the window, see you in the back seat more easily, and sit up more.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#4 of 15 Old 03-03-2005, 07:24 PM

I don't remember the exact name of them, but...

There are earplugs that you can buy to help relieve the pressure that builds up with changes in elevation.

I think the brand name is Airplugs.

I've bought them at CVS. They come in adult and kid sizes. Dss (when as young as 6 mos) have worn them for take-off and landing on flights. I remember that I had to put them into dss' ears before the actual elevation change, (the directions are on the box) for them to work.
#5 of 15 Old 03-03-2005, 07:27 PM

I second the try to nurse suggestion. It's he** on your back, but really helped my son.
#6 of 15 Old 03-03-2005, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAmma
Can she hold her head up well? The reason I'm asking is Nitara hated her infant seat but when I put her in the convertible seat at 2 mos old she immediately improved and has never screamed in the carseat since. I wonder if you could borrow a convertible to test out before your trip? Some babies just don't like infant seats. They are all scrunched up and can't see anything but the back of the seat. A convertible allows them to see out the window, see you in the back seat more easily, and sit up more.
My ds was like that. He HATED the infant carseat and screamed whenever he was in it. We tried staying home a lot, but I've found that leads to depression for me. We went ahead and bought a convertible carseat, since he'd outgrow the infant seat sometime anyway. It was amazing the difference it made.
#7 of 15 Old 03-03-2005, 08:53 PM

Try giving her your pinky. My daughter is breast-fed and doesn't take a pacifier but she'll take my pinky with no problem!

Mama of three.

#8 of 15 Old 03-03-2005, 08:58 PM

Yeah, I found the only thing that would work was nursing/sucking my fingers while in the carseat. After awhile I figured out how to do it with my seatbelt still on! :LOL
#9 of 15 Old 03-03-2005, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I didn't go anywhere alone before ds was 9 mos old. I frequently nursed him while we were in transit. It wasn't fun but it was better than a screaming baby. I would put the shoulder strap of the seatbelt behind me and leave my lapbelt on.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#10 of 15 Old 03-03-2005, 10:35 PM

With a little contorting I was able to nurse my DD while she was in her infant car seat. I'm sure I got alot of strange looks from the people behind us.

And yes, I was belted as well.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#11 of 15 Old 03-04-2005, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

I can manage to nurse her in our VW Vanagon, but not in my mom's honda. I'm going to trim my pinky nail to nonexistance for this trip. It was just long enough to irritate her tounge last time. We'll see how it goes.

Every time she stops fussing without obvious intervention from me, I feel like I've broken her trust in me. But she's (knock on wood) never cried for more than 5 minutes or so at a time, and I never leave her to cry when I can possibly avoid it. But when I have to put her down for a potty emergency that catches me without her in the sling or something like that, sometimes all I can do is tell her I am on my way. Am I a horrible mother?
#12 of 15 Old 03-04-2005, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip

Every time she stops fussing without obvious intervention from me, I feel like I've broken her trust in me. But she's (knock on wood) never cried for more than 5 minutes or so at a time, and I never leave her to cry when I can possibly avoid it. But when I have to put her down for a potty emergency that catches me without her in the sling or something like that, sometimes all I can do is tell her I am on my way. Am I a horrible mother?
no you are not. i can tell this because yoiu ask, you are here and you are bothered by her cries that you want to fix the underlying problem, ie her needs.

it is unfortunate, but we must potty, older sibs can be a little rough, we may be driving and not able to stop immediately. they will survive, mamas will too.

it is so hard to hear them cry and be powerless. do the best you can, that is all she can ask.
#13 of 15 Old 03-17-2005, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Just to update you all, we got stuck in a traffic jam on the 405, and I managed to contort to nurse her then. (I thought the van was hard on the back...) She then fell asleep until we got to the other side of the mountains. So, much ado about nothing. She got a lot better about carseats on this trip, enough so that I took her out for a drive by myself yesterday, and had no troubles.
#14 of 15 Old 03-17-2005, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
ARG, the 405 totally sucks for babies who hate car seats! We live right off it and I try to avoid it whenever I can. Actually, come to think of it, most of Los Angeles County sucks for babies! The best I've found is to make sure they are fed, have gone pee and are dry, and as sleepy as possible. Then we have a pacifier that lives in the car (the only place we use one) and a bunch of rattly toys. And I've had to learn to ignore the crying a bit

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#15 of 15 Old 03-17-2005, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paquerette
Can she suck on your pinky? Can you manuever yourself to nurse while she's in the carseat? If nothing else, the crying will help her ears feel better -- not that that will make it much easier for you.

...well, that's what I was going to say!
Best wishes on your trip!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page