Screaming in pain when pooping...please help.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-11-2005, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 7 month old ds is having a terrible time. The last 3 days whenever he has to poop he starts grunting extremely loudly. His entire face turns red and he stiffens up head to toe. When the poop finally comes out he screames in pain...it's heart breaking to have to change his diaper while he's crying like that instead of holding him (he always has a blow out because he poops best sitting in his bouncer...that's really all we use it for)

He's in obvious pain and I need help figuring it out.

The poop looks normal.

I am dairy free, but recently added soy into my diet...I discovered chocolate soy milk....went a little nuts.

The only solid food he's been eating is peaches.

I don't want to jump to conclusions and blame the soy, but it's looking like the culprit. How long should I give it up to determine if it's the cause? I know dairy takes about a month to get out of our systems.

Also, any other ideas if not the soy? The reaction to dairy never involved his pooping.

Any ideas for helpinghim with the pain?
#2 of 12 Old 03-11-2005, 12:09 PM

if it was food, I think he'd be irritable all the time, not just when going poop. is his poo really hard?
#3 of 12 Old 03-11-2005, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

See, that's what I thought too. That's how he was when I was eating dairy....in pain constantly.

The poop looks like normal breatfed baby poop....mustardy.

I'm so confused....
#4 of 12 Old 03-11-2005, 12:41 PM

i just posted in another thread... I'll find it & copy in a sec. some kids just do this. my friends 13 mo just went through this for a few weeks.
#5 of 12 Old 03-11-2005, 12:43 PM

nak

i've heard lots of things. the ones that make sense are that they have a hard time figuring out how to relax the anal sphincter while pushing & it's an odd sensation that they sometimes don't like. unfortunatley, there's nothing you can do - they'll figure it out. you can draw from your years of experience and know that it's virtually never painfull (esp if it's soft baby poo) and they WILL figure it out. and please don't give a baby prune juice or corn syrup. this may make YOU feel better because you think you actively DOING something to help, but it's not good for the kiddo. the best thing to do is nurse. breast milk is so awesome - good for everything!
#6 of 12 Old 03-11-2005, 12:45 PM

this is like the 4th thread i've posted on about poop!!! how funny. maybe someone else will have some thoughts for you.
#7 of 12 Old 03-11-2005, 12:48 PM

My 11 mo. ds started doing this about 1.5 months ago (without the screaming.) He usually poops in his highchair. He's also bf'd and has nice soft poops. He seems to think it's funny after. I think like the pp said, he's just figuring out how it all works
#8 of 12 Old 03-11-2005, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm...that would be nice if it's not the soy...I sure have enjoyed the Luna bars and chocolate soy milk.

It's just that if he were just figuring things out, would he cry like he's in pain? I mean tears and everything....
#9 of 12 Old 03-11-2005, 01:43 PM

I love Luna bars!!!

I'd imagine he could be crying not from the act of pooping, but possibly from cramps before it comes out, because he's not using his muscles effectively. I'd maybe hold him in a potty position, legs up and bent, and just be soothing.
#10 of 12 Old 03-11-2005, 02:01 PM

Like the above poster suggested, I'd hold him in the potty position when he's pooping. Upright with his knees bent to his chest. Like imitating a squat position. It makes it easier on the child to poop. You could also "bicycle" his legs, that helps.

Maybe that would help him learn the process a little better.
#11 of 12 Old 03-12-2005, 05:19 PM
Banned

Lukas is FF and had a lot of problems with constipation until we started solids. I think he was just growing so fast his body was using up everything he was taking in. But if your child has soft poop that's a little different. His were hard balls. I would help him best I could. Either in the exersaucer or just push his legs up by his knees to help him push. It is heart wrenching to watch sometimes.
#12 of 12 Old 03-12-2005, 06:35 PM

OH thats got to be taken care of quickly. I would be freaking out. When our 6 month old got constipated I gave her two dropperfulls of prune juice. It always worked like a charm. I think a little extra fluids help. TJ sucked on ice inside her mesh feeder and it gave her a bit of water. That made her poop a little more runny as well.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page