Essential Baby Gear - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-15-2005, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all!! I don't usually visit this forum as my baby is going to be 2 this weekend, but I was hoping you all could help me. It's hard for me to remember exactly what a baby needs. I'm trying to give away most of our baby stuff, but I'll probably keep the very basics just in case a third baby should ever join our family. I sort of remember what baby would need clothing/diaper wise, but what are the baby gear basics you couldn't live without?!? I know I would need a car seat, but probably would get a new one as our infant type seat is near it's "expiration" date so I already gave it away, but besides that and a few slings, what else does baby need?

TIA!!

Mama to three sweet girls (a dramatic, chatty 10yo, a bouncy, dynamo of a 7yo, and a delightful, whimsical 3.5yo)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 03-15-2005, 11:40 PM

not much if you ask me. I so wish I would have more closely followed to less is better, although I hardly bought anything well-meaning relatives bought more than I needed. So, the essentials for me;

nursing pillow for the first few awkward weeks
a place to change the baby and to keep diaper supplies
sling, or other carrier
gowns

really that is all I can think of, there are very few things that a baby really needs. I never understood people that just raved and raved about this or that, I really found that most things have just gotten in the way. Now, I use a plastic babysitter from time to time as he is mobile and has a tendency to hurt himself if I am not watching every second- I will probably get rid of most things before the next one is born. The concept of toys for newborns and even babies is completely lost on me as well, lil' man would rather play with my rolling pin and measuring cups.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#3 of 9 Old 03-16-2005, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

thanks so much!! i never could get used to a nursing pillow so i guess everything besides my slings (which i still use on the 2-year old) will be going soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama
The concept of toys for newborns and even babies is completely lost on me as well, lil' man would rather play with my rolling pin and measuring cups.
fwiw, both my almost 2 and 4.5 year old would rather play with my kitchen stuff than their toys. other than their few favorites they still don't play as much with toys as they do with their imaginations.

thanks again!

Mama to three sweet girls (a dramatic, chatty 10yo, a bouncy, dynamo of a 7yo, and a delightful, whimsical 3.5yo)
#4 of 9 Old 03-16-2005, 10:16 AM

I definitely like a separate place for changing. Keeps shooting pee and poop to one area! Keep your changing table or whatever you used! Oh, and I LOVE my glider. Sometimes I sit in it and relax after ds is asleep. I guess we all love motion.

Also, books, books, books...

Though I have to admit, my little one does love those stuffed, colorful toys to chew on.
#5 of 9 Old 03-16-2005, 01:11 PM

oh, I forgot about the rocking chair, that was for sure one essential. We got a pack and play and that is what we use for a changing area. I keep the diapers in the bassinet area.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#6 of 9 Old 03-16-2005, 01:26 PM

A sling! : I couldn't have lived w/o when dd wouldn't be put down those first two months.

Mom to Iris and Henry
#7 of 9 Old 03-16-2005, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Let's see, a baby needs at least one lactating breast and loving arms. If one lactating breast isn't available, then the baby needs bottles (or bottle alternatives) and formula and loving arms. A carseat is a neccessity unless you're living way off the grid and will never ever be in a car.

Ok, we've covered "needs." Now for the "nice to have" stuff:

baby clothes and diapers, washcloths/wipes, some sort of container for wipe solution
nursing bras and nursing pads for mom
drool bibs for teething and feeding bibs for big babies/toddlers
formula feeding stuff if breastfeeding isn't an option
breastpump?? Not needed for everybody, but the kind of item worth keeping if you have one already.
A pile of baby blankets and soft cloths, towels, burp cloths, etc
sling and/or other soft baby carriers
a highchair or booster seat with straps
stroller (to put stuff in while shopping with baby in sling :LOL)
crib, basinette, or co-sleeper- with more than one child, it's nice to have a safe place to put baby even if you plan on co-sleeping. Besides, some babies surprise us and like their own sleeping space.
changing table
diaper pail

Items I found useless:
baby swing, infant seat, exersaucer, any kind of annoying bulky toy, baby monitor, rocking chair

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
#8 of 9 Old 03-16-2005, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

thanks so much everyone!!!

#9 of 9 Old 03-16-2005, 03:42 PM

some good dipes and a boob.everything else is just surplus.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page