September 2004 Moms - Happy April! Mobile babies in the near future! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 507 Old 04-18-2005, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New things going on with LaRue. She is working on her d sounds, it is SO cute, all day long dadadadadaaaa, that makes my partner very happy. She loves to splash in the bathtub, she gets the water everywhere. She'll do a big splash and it will all go on her face, she takes a surprised breath and then get right back to splashing, it's so funny. She has been saying "hi" a lot, she first said hi about a month ago and would sometimes say it, but now she does it more often. I woke up this morning and looked at LaRue and she turned and said hi to me and then smiled She is also starting to wave hello. She still just does commando crawling and rolling, she hasn't gotten onto her hands and knees yet. That's all I can think of for now.

I'm going to get a serger for my birthday, I'm so excited! But now I have to wait to sew my girls some clothes until then because they will look so much better than sewing with just my sewing machine.
#302 of 507 Old 04-18-2005, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sistermama
Chrissy - Cute pics. So, Jack isn't the only crazy older brother, hmmm? Are you ever going to tell me what pattern you used to make Lucy's soaker, or is it a secret? lol It is my favorite one, but it doesn't really fit anymore and I want to try making one.
Sorry Sarah! : I *think* I used the Little Turtle Knits longies pattern and made them shorts. I also like the LTK soaker pattern. And I the Wooly Wonder Perfection Pants pattern.

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#303 of 507 Old 04-18-2005, 05:40 PM

FF, lucky girl getting a serger! That's so cool.

The LLL conference went great! The babies were great as long as they were being held; a few times they slept in their seats or played on the floor gym, thank goodness there were people around to help. Everyone was pretty interested when I would tandem nurse or double sling the babies. They took a few conference pictures; I'm the second one: http://cbodin.photosite.com/LLLGA2005/ ETA: Actually the fourth picture.

I'll post more once I finally update Shutterfly. You would think it shouldn't be so hard to keep up with that...

Baby calls!
#304 of 507 Old 04-18-2005, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrog
I'll post more once I finally update Shutterfly. You would think it shouldn't be so hard to keep up with that...
Yeah, Savannah, it's not like you're busy or anything...:LOL

FF, your girls are absolutely beautiful, Chrissy - love the new pics! All the new pics are awesome, I agree with whoever said we make beautiful babies

Welcome, childishgoth

I'm jealous of all you swimmers! We don't even have a flippin' bathtub.

Dp and I were looking at R last night (she was asleep and sprawled across my lap) - she's getting so big. Looks almost like a toddler already. Bittersweet days! I need to convince the rest of our family to start churning out the kiddos so I'll be able to hold a newborn again!

DD1 (8yrs) + DD2 (6yrs) + DS1 (4/25/11) = one crazy adventure!
#305 of 507 Old 04-18-2005, 06:25 PM

I was just saying that today, how the babies look like little kids already, instead of babies...

I got "called away" earlier before I had the chance to say, Chrissy, that I love your new pictures!!! Love that flower-eater!
#306 of 507 Old 04-18-2005, 09:21 PM

Is anyones baby actualy fitting the clothes guidelines... because eirik just turned 7 months and he is in 18-24 month clothes. I wish someone had told me that before i had him.. i would have saved alot of money. also did everyones baby already double their birth weight because i was told he should have done that at 5 months and he is still a lb shy
#307 of 507 Old 04-18-2005, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Savannah I love the picture of you nursing William and McKenna. They look quite comfy.

David is a bit on the small side. He can still fit into some 0-3month clothes that run big but he is mostly wearing 3-6 months and some of those are still too big on him. He is about a pound shy of doubling his birth weight.

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
#308 of 507 Old 04-18-2005, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Iain is just about right for clothing. He's fitting well in 6-9 month clothes, as well as 12 month tees in brands like Hanes that run 6 month and then 12 month. He can still wear some 3-6, especially in pants, but most of it is getting tight. Both my boys have move to 3-6 month clothes at 2 months, and then pretty much right on cue from then. Iain is now (at 7+months) 17lbs11oz, and was 7lbs 2oz at birth, so he's more than doubled.

Savannah, loved the pic of you tandem nursing! Sounds like you guys had a great time!

FF, aren't the new sounds fun!? Iain will just babble, sometimes with meaning, it seems, and other times just for fun. He loves to "talk" to lights! :LOL Lately he's been making a "dja" sound. So funny!

Now he's squawking. I think it's naptime for the boys (again!).

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#309 of 507 Old 04-19-2005, 12:15 AM

Heather (B), my brain is so fried that it took me several hours to remember what ISO i had posted on the TP recently. :LOL But now that I remember I did get a few large fireflies.

Savannah, i the tandem nursing pic!! was the lll conference really fun? i'm not even that involved in my local lll but i'm thinking of going to the conference this summer anyway.

On weight and doubling and clothing size. Noah was born at 10.6. He shot up to about 18 lbs fast and then stayed there. It took him forever to get to 20 lbs. I think he was just barely there at a year. Lilah was born at 8.14 and is now 20.4 so she has already doubled. She is wearing mainly size 18 mos stuff now.

So tired.

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#310 of 507 Old 04-19-2005, 12:24 AM

Ds was 8.15 and is hovering at about 18 lbs now (and has been for a while - he was 17.11 at the end of Jan). I was putting him in 6-9 mth clothes when he was only 3 or 4 mth old. He is long (seems to be gaining more length than weight) so he quickly outgrew his stretchies/pants, but can still wear 6-9 mths t shirts - otherwise it's 12mth+ sizes for him.

My MIL is coming into town tomorrow for a week, so I may be MIA for a while. I think she's gonna watch ds for a few hours on Saturday so dh and I can get a break - but only if I can pump some milk for ds. Otherwise it will be a short outing. Any tips on pumping? I have an Avent Isis hand pump. I've used it before and it seems to work well - it just seems like lately I don't have any milk to spare. I'll keep trying - I just don't want to pump, then when ds goes to nurse, he's hungry cause my breast hasn't 'filled' back.
We'll see....

Christine - mama to my 4 boys
#311 of 507 Old 04-19-2005, 12:30 AM

Christine - here's a good once in a while pumping tip. Over night, only nurse babe on one side, your other side will be engorged when you wake up (wake up before baby if you can). Pump from that side, and remember that just like orgasms, let down can happen more than once! LOL So keep pumping.
#312 of 507 Old 04-19-2005, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy
So tired.
Yes. And so hot. Oh for the love of central air. The window units are not yet in and our house is hot. T is not interested in sleeping, he is so uncomfortable. He will fall back asleep on someone or in someone's arms, I don't understand that, to me that would seem that much hotter.

We bought a rug at IKEA today. Huge, wool, lovely. Yay tax return. At IKEA a woman ogled my Maya wrap and I saw another woman NIPing a little teeny babe in the storage bin department. Yay!

Jo complained to me this evening about her back hurting from carrying T around so much. Talk to the hand, woman! My back constantly hurts and my knee is starting to do strange things, too.

I gotta get ready for bed whether T's asleep or not. Sigh. Everyone promises me that one day, he will sleep through the night. when? ! I need a smilie called :despair !

j

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#313 of 507 Old 04-19-2005, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sistermama
orgasms ... can happen more than once!
REALLY???? :LOL

J/k - thank you for the advice. I will try that tonight and see how it goes.

#314 of 507 Old 04-19-2005, 01:15 AM

Hi there-

I'm new on MDC - I've been lurking since my girl was born from my in-laws house, but we only just got fast access, so I only now have the time to actually post . Just wanted to say hi.

Robin is 7.5 months old. She hasn't doubled her weight yet ( 15 lb at her 6.5 month appt, 8lb3oz at birth) but almost - she's tall-ish, but can still wear a lot of her 3-6 month clothes - some are getting too short, and the footed stuff is gone.

She just cut tooth #3, and #4 is right behind, so we haven't gotten any sleep since thursday. I'm stupidly stayign up to be online, but this is my only opportunity - Baby's asleep, kitchen is clean When she's awake, she sees the lights blinking on the modem and router, and all the black cables for the laptop, and she makes a beeline for it. She's crawling really fast, climbing 1-2 stairs, and pulling up. I can only get her to stay "still" in her jogging stroller. The biggest adaptation of the pastfew months: I now am sweeping every other day, and mopping my kitchen floor at least weekly. Pre-Robin, I maybe mopped 2ce a year. But she is changing my hygene habits - I have fished several leaves and dust bunnies out of her mouth ( i know, it's gross - we have wood and linoleum floors, with pets - the hairballs are ubiquitous). Thank god and Mr. hoover for my new best friend - the Floor Mate.

BTW - can anyone recommend a sling that's summer weight? I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Kangaroo Korner fleece pouch - easy in and out, very hip and comfy - but fleece in the hot hot Georgia heat sounds....hot. anybody know a cool option for summer?

take care,
becca
#315 of 507 Old 04-19-2005, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenInMpls
My back constantly hurts and my knee is starting to do strange things, too.
I've been getting these weird pains in a muscle I never knew existed... right in the middle of the base of my palm, like where that crease at the base of your thumb ends and the wrist begins. Seems like a version of carpal tunnel, from toting the twins. OUCH!

You know, Chrissy, I have no idea how fun the actual LLL conference was, since I was an exhibitor and not a registrant. I saw lots of happy faces and heard positive comments, though. I didn't go to any of the sessions, just got to explore the booths and the Pamper Mom expo they had Friday night. I've only been to a LLL meeting once. MY friend was the booth organizer and made me come, LOL. I can't wait to show pictures of the cute booth we put together... my dad built and helped me paint a sky and clouds backdrop, and we hung clothesline across it with different CDs clipped on. So cool!

OK, gotta go make my MIL's bday present. Dh wants me to make her a photo cube with updated pictures.
#316 of 507 Old 04-19-2005, 01:24 AM

Oh - I have the avent hand pump. I used it over the holidays - pumped a bottle, then when we were driving long distance to visit family, I would warm up the bottle with the car heater, feed robin in her car seat while we drove, then pump - kept up my supply, and then I would use that bottle for the next leg of the trip. Plus, we didn't have to pull over except to change diapers.

But, the hand pump was basically self-abuse. I found it unconfortable and hard to get milk with...at first. But then, I guess because it required so much nipple stimulation to get milk, my production increased dramatically! By the third day of using it a 1-2times a day, I could easily pump an extra bottle to freeze - all my frozen supply (my just-in-case stash) is from right after the holidays.

So, you might want to try pumping a little bit at the same time for a few days and see if you have a similar response. The night-nursing tip is great. I've also tried that during the day - nursing 2ce on the same side, then pumping the other side - with some success.

good luck!
#317 of 507 Old 04-19-2005, 01:28 AM

Welcome, Becca! Columbus isn't so far from our southside gatherings... (see the Northeast Altanta thread on MDC's finding your tribe board)

I forgot to say, my babies are fitting perfectly in 6-9 month clothes. The 12 months hang off their feet. They're actually sleepig in 3-6 month PJs tonight, because all the laundry is dirty from my preparing all week for and being away at LLL conference. So their feet are a bit cramped tonight, and the top snap isn't snapped.

They were 5-12 and 6-3 at birth; and are now about 15 pounds, so yep, we doubled our birth weights. They've been hovering around 14-15 lbs for the past few months now...
#318 of 507 Old 04-19-2005, 01:31 AM

Welcome Yo Becca!

LaRue has more than doubled her birth weight (she started at 6 lbs. 14 oz. and is now around 17 lbs.), but she is short so she definitely wouldn't be fitting into any 18 mo. clothes, she can only fit into a few 12 mo. She is actually at the right clothing size, 6-12 mo. It's funny because my first dd was so huge that she fit into 6-12 mo. clothes at 3 mo. so at that time I thought the clothing sizes were all whacked.
#319 of 507 Old 04-19-2005, 01:36 AM

Welcome Yo Becca! I'm in Georgia too (North suburbs of Atlanta)

#320 of 507 Old 04-19-2005, 02:01 AM

Welcome, Becca! I my Kangaroo Korner Adjustable COTTON Pouch! All the ease of the fleece, but not nearly as HOT! I think Solarveil is another good option for hot weather. I'm from the Houston area (currently in Santa Cruz, CA, where it is NOT hot!), so I know all about heat! :LOL

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#321 of 507 Old 04-19-2005, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenInMpls
Jo complained to me this evening about her back hurting from carrying T around so much. Talk to the hand, woman! My back constantly hurts and my knee is starting to do strange things, too.

j
:LOL

I know, I know!!! Mr. Man last night was saying the same thing, from just holding her around the house. Please!

Things are MUCH better at casa de buns today. Getting over (still) the Mastitsis, and then yesterday "El Cappo" (out little mob boss), was crying almost all day. I think it was from being overtired, if that makes any sense. There was one point when I was holding her and she was crying, I was crying. Finally, finally got her to sleep and a neighbor came by and the knock on the door woke her right up. I must have looked scary when I opened the door (and I am sure I did), because she said "is this a bad time?". I said it was, but it wasn't her fault....I should put a sign on the door next time.

Cats- that sounds like FUN!

FF- That veg. fest would be so great for us to go, we don't have anything like that around these parts!

I don't know what is wrong with me lately, feeling very anti-social. Not sure what is going on. Anyone else go through this? I have always been fairly private and would only be able to have fun/open up to people if I was able to drink, but ever since becoming pregnant and now BF, I don't drink (well, a glass of wine here or there, but not like before, not even close), I think the "real me" is pretty anti-social/private. I am having a hard time dealing with this and I am not sure why. Everyone else (MIL, the woman down the street, My father etc...) thinks I need to get out there and meet some other Moms, but I really am not interested. I feel a lot of pressure to all of a sudden form these new friendships with other Moms, but all the ones I have met are not people I would be friends with if we didn't have children. Oh well, I will keep working on it.

Hope this week is great for all of you. After Buns wakes up we are going to go for a walk and to get some coffee...for me!
#322 of 507 Old 04-19-2005, 06:03 PM

bunsmom, maybe you'd enjoy meeting other MDC moms in your area... Have you tried the 'finding your tribe" boards to see if there are some around you? If I found 4 in my area, you MUST have some where you are!
#323 of 507 Old 04-19-2005, 09:07 PM

Crazy all the cleaning you have to do when they become mobile! Miles isn't yet, but probably soon. He got his second tooth today, and was in such pain, the poor guy, that I had to cancel all spring break plans with my siblings. Oh well, they'll understand when they're older (they're in HS, JR HS, etc) So I can SO relate on the carpul tunnel. I just lurked my whole pregnancy here, since I was in too much pain to type, and I had to go on disability because I couldn't do my job for 2 weeks. Anyway, I just got it back yesterday. The only think I can think of is that I am retaining water due to PMS. (please not yet AF!) It kills to type this!

So for pumping, I really have a hard time. Miles will only eat fresh milk, nothing that has been frozen. EVERY time I pump to leave him, I am engorged for days, and get plugged ducts and stuff. I will have to try that advise about pumping in the morning. I leak all night anyway, since I can't stand to wear a bra to bed, so I know there's plenty in there. Just don't want to make more!

On clothing and whatnot, Miles is funny. He still wears size 1 shoes 0-6 robeez, and 3-6 pants, and 12 or 18 mo. tops. I think the only "right on" size is his onesies 6-9. Poor guy got my and DH's long bodies and short legs. He would fit into more of the smaller pants lengthwise if it weren't for the CD's.
Speaking of diapers, I NEED HELP!!! I have turned to the diapering board many times, but alas, no solution. Maybe you ladies can help me. Okay, so I use pockets. (Wonderoos, then some FB's, then 1 HH) I have like 6 hemp inserts, then use IPF's the rest of the time. We started to get HORRIBLE stink awhile ago, so I have been trying to troubleshoot. Regularly, I wash every other day, with the Costco brand of tide free (just a little bit) I do a cold rinse, 2 hot washes, and a hot rinse, adding baking soda sometimes. Nothing was helping. I boiled the hemp for 2 hrs. with bleach, nothing.

So on Sunday I:

soaked the hemp in bleach, then rinsed, then added the pockets, then did 6 hot (160 deg) washes, then added PF's, did 2 more hot washes, then added 1 c. vinegar and did a cold rinse. I saw no suds. I thought that would do the trick. No joke, I think they smell WORSE now!! Esp the PUL on all the pockets. Hemp still reaks. Any help before I quit CDing? (we are to that point)

Thanks in advance, and BTW, CUTE babies!!!

Busy mama to 4 boys, M 9/04, E 4/06, our angel baby N (passed 10/09 at 1 day old) & newbie C, 12/10
#324 of 507 Old 04-19-2005, 09:12 PM

Jen- Too cute about Tristan's green barf! You know, it is reassuring. We worry so much about our kids choking. Well, sounds like the all natural gag response works just fine!!

Carriers: I have had to give up slings too. The assymmetrical nature hurt my back. Personally, I think over the shoulder slings are an american invention and not realistic for long-term carrying of babies. I spent a few summers in west africa and never saw a single sling. Women wrap their babies on their backs!

I have found an excellent solution: mei tei (sp?) -- the asian baby carrier. So good. I have the kozy carrier version made of canvas which really makes it easy to secure to your body. You knot it around your waist first then cross it over your shoulders. Weight is very evenly distributed and baby is held nice and close to your body (essential if you want to carry them for any length of time).

Since my DH bought me the kozy I have been able to cook with Lulu on my back, do several hours (in a row!) of raking with her on my back, take walks with her on my front. Also, baby can easily tie on your hip.

It's really easy to put on by yourself (as long as baby is about six months and has some body strength and neck control). I do it with a couch. I really recommend it.

I also have the ergo, which is great as well. A little harder with straps and clips to put on. The papatum (sp?) is the cheaper version of this -- the only problem is that it has no head cover. The ergo has a little peice of fabric to pull over their head when they sleep to give them support. Works great.

If I could only have one, I would probably get the Kozy. Very versatile, easy to put on, looks very pretty, baby fits closer to you. However, my sense is Lulu prefers the ergo because her upper body is looser and she can reach out and grab stuff or swivel. I feel lucky to have both.

Check out the reviews and discussion on the babywearing forum. They were very helpful to me. I also did a few searches on MDC.

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#325 of 507 Old 04-19-2005, 10:00 PM

Kinsey - I think you've got hard water, not detergent build up. I went through lots of diaper stink issues and finally discovered that I have really hard water and was not using NEAR enough detergent. So, you might want to try the following. Get some Calgon water softener (this is a laundry, not a bath product - call around to find it, my grocery store has it, but walmart and target don't). Wash your dipes with a big ole capful of it, then wash them again with a normal amount of the softener, plus your detergent. Do it again if necessary. You should notice a big difference. Once you get your dipes back to normal, wash them every time with a full cup of detergent, and use the Calgon once every week or two. If you have hard water, you need to use more than the normal amount of detergent.
#326 of 507 Old 04-19-2005, 10:43 PM

Kinsey, have you tried:

1) SportWash (hunting/sports section of Wal-Mart, bright orange plastic bottle with white lid) - helped me A LOT - a great short term solution.

2) take a small load (just your hemp or just inserts, etc.) and wash on the SMALLest water setting on the HOTtest water you've got (I'm sure you know all about turning the water heater up!). Maybe even throw in some boiling water if the water isn't steaming. Add ONLY baking soda or calgon to soften the water. If you don't have either, try it by itself. This is the ONLY thing that brought out the "bubbles" for me. I couldn't believe the amt of suds! I had very hard water and boiling water/calgon/bs/etc never brought out suds until I lowered the water level.

If even with that you don't see suds, I'd definitely try increasing the detergent!

#327 of 507 Old 04-19-2005, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Becca
Hi there-

I'm new on MDC - I've been lurking since my girl was born from my in-laws house, but we only just got fast access, so I only now have the time to actually post . Just wanted to say hi.

Robin is 7.5 months old. She hasn't doubled her weight yet ( 15 lb at her 6.5 month appt, 8lb3oz at birth) but almost - she's tall-ish, but can still wear a lot of her 3-6 month clothes - some are getting too short, and the footed stuff is gone.

She just cut tooth #3, and #4 is right behind, so we haven't gotten any sleep since thursday. I'm stupidly stayign up to be online, but this is my only opportunity - Baby's asleep, kitchen is clean When she's awake, she sees the lights blinking on the modem and router, and all the black cables for the laptop, and she makes a beeline for it. She's crawling really fast, climbing 1-2 stairs, and pulling up. I can only get her to stay "still" in her jogging stroller.
take care,
becca
Hi Becca

Welcome! Robin and Zeke have the same birthday, but let me tell you! Robin is blowing Zeke away in the milestone department! Zeke has no teeth and doesn't crawl or move in any way. He just sit's up on his own for extended periods. Maybe we should get them together so she can teach him a thing or two!
#328 of 507 Old 04-19-2005, 11:40 PM

Just a quick "Hi"! Ds got his 2nd tooth yesterday - the bottom right. So, now his mood is MUCH better. MIL is in town - she brought LOTS of clothes for him!!! All awesome stuff - a lot in larger sizes - so we are pretty much set to 18 mths - hehe!!! She went grocery shopping for me already AND made dinner...I just love her!

#329 of 507 Old 04-19-2005, 11:41 PM

Christine - bleh to you on winning the MIL lottery - wanna trade?
#330 of 507 Old 04-19-2005, 11:50 PM

Welcome new mamas!

Kate was born at a little under 7 and is now 15...she's filling out in the last few weeks. She wears 6-12 month clothes well, but the pants fit her legs perfectly, so I think she'll grow out of them lengthwise in a couple of months. She's a long baby.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page