September 2004 Moms - Happy April! Mobile babies in the near future! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-14-2005, 12:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
leomom -- I got the tape today and just watched it! You Rock!!!! I love LOST! Thanks Mama!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2005, 01:32 AM

lilah had her 6 mo check up yesterday. she weighs 20 lbs 4.5 oz and is 28 inches tall! my big girl!

anna, it is so good to see you! you sound so happy!

tv- we have it and watch it some. noah is realy into firetrucks and has a movie about firetrucks that he is really into. even that he doesn't really sit and zone out on though. i am not ready for lilah to watch any tv at all but she seems to want to. i like to watch really crappy tv (like catskillmama) so i just keep it off until after the kids are asleep. i do like the west wing and some of the crime/court shows though.

ff- yay for getting a website!! i've picked my fabric- just have to measure myself and will get back to you.

sarah, okay i you even though you aren't my original sarah with an h.

stacey, that is hysterical!!

i turned 30 in sept. brian is 32. i don't feel old though i do have lots of gray!

it's late....

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
Old 04-14-2005, 03:41 AM

Hello! I am seriously ill. I had to go and get x-rays and blood tests done today -- doc thinks I might have pnumonia.
We had a much happier day here. Ds is adjusting to spending more time with dad at night while I'm at rehearsals. two weeks to performance! Hope I get over this cold in time!
Andrew has just started saying "dada" and "Mumum". And he's said it directly to dh and sort of like he's calling for me, so I think he actually knows what he's saying.
Dh is 30 and I'm 29. I have white hairs, but I'm a coppery auburn red head and have been getting them since I was 17. Going white early goes with the territory. My bro is 42 and almost white already.
Well, I should really be lying in my vapor filled room sleeping or studying my lines. Good night mamas!

Jill , mom to Andrew (09/04), Aaron(01/07), and Emma (11/09)
Old 04-14-2005, 03:43 AM

Oh, also, anyone else have babies who hate Hyland's teething tablets? I got some because I felt guilty about going through two bottles of Tylenol in 3 weeks when ds got his bottom two teeth. But he refuses to open his mouth once he knows what it is, and all I end up with is a soaking wet but still grouch baby.

Jill , mom to Andrew (09/04), Aaron(01/07), and Emma (11/09)
Old 04-14-2005, 08:47 AM

oh man! get better soon, ,jill!

I am grateful that Tristan slept from 8-5 with one little wake-up whimper at 2:30. I'm just waiting now for him to get sleepy again so I can get a few more hours before Jo's alarm goes off. I wish I could just leave him in his co-sleeper to babble but he's loud and he kicks and it shakes not only his bed but ours. I am thinking about detaching the co-sleeper...

Liz - mmmmmm, VH1! I can watch Behind the Music for hours. We don't have cable, though, I only get to see it when I'm at my sister's house. Tristan is mesmerized by any screen.

Well, off to pay some attention to mr wakey-wakey...

j

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
Old 04-14-2005, 12:07 PM

yay, jen, for a sleppful night!

get better soon, jill.

hi anna, glad you're having nice weather.

congrats ff on the web site, can't wait to see it!

twins went to their first "class" tuesday.. baby signs. so cute and fun! it's a 6-wk program.

gotta run
Old 04-14-2005, 12:08 PM

Jilly -- Thor also has started saying "MummMaaa" when he is sad or wants me. He stares at me when he says it with a desperate look. Last night during one of his many tearful wake-ups he was lying in bed, crying, saying mamamama.

jen -- you are so lucky for that amount of sleep! I'm jealous.

Ugh, TV. I watch it in the morning (the Today show) but then try to avoid it the rest of the day. DH likes it too much so it's hard to shut it off at night. We used to not have cable but recently got it again. Netflix is my favorite. I love good movies. DS doesn't seem to be that interested in TV thankfully!

I'm 29 on Saturday... we're going camping and staying in a yurt! It should be interesting to see how it goes with Thor. I hope he sleeps at least fairly well and holds off on the waking up and crying every couple hours. This is hilarious... we're bringing his small rocking chair so that we can rock him! We're going to be the most prepared campers around. But otherwise he's almost impossible to get to sleep.

Anyone else have the experience that Tylenol doesn't seem to hold off teething pain too well? Unless maybe teeth aren't his problem?

Well, he's just about to crawl. Someone else mentioned how their babe does face plants and eats carpet with their butt in the air. That's my DS as well! Yesterday he "crawled" over to the DVDs and started chewing on them. Man, I've got to baby proof!!

Thor says:. bmy7yh

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
Old 04-14-2005, 12:40 PM

I'm behind on the thread and will have to read later, but I have a question for you Mamas:

Can you all recommend some good brands of fitted, non-pocket diapers? I have a Fuzzi Bunz, and a Happy Heiny, and have decided I really do not like stuffing (or more accurately, REMOVING) the pocket dipes after they are wet. I have some Bummis SWW which I really like that I have been using with CPF's, but I would really like to get some fitted dipes to use with the BSWW's. Any advice?
Old 04-14-2005, 12:48 PM

Stacy:
1- BSWW seem to cover anything, unlike Proraps, so you could try any fitted and have it work out! I love all the various fitteds I have.

2- You don't usually have to remove the soaked FB insert! It took me weeks to figure this out, but you are supposed to just shake the insert out into the diaper pail. I haven't touched a yucky insert in months...

I just finished a cute Japanese print fitted for an MDC mama last night. (Actually, if it sells at the conference this weekend I'll have to make another one for her, LOL) I used terrycloth inside, flannel outside, and it has a coordinating fleece-topped soaker sewn on at one end. I love the design. I also made one in a zebra print, and next will use a cute celestial print I found. I'm going to sell them for $10 or $12; they take more time than the pocket dipes to make. Let me know if you want to try one.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherB
We also got a white noise CD (from Harvey Karp) at that shop today. It's actually a little annoying to me. :LOL But hopefully it'll help Iain. We used to play a "water tape" that we recorded from running the bathtub. I've been looking for a water/white-noise tape for ages now!
I know this is an old post, but I am catching up and I have a recommendation: we have a small CD/clock radio/white noise machine. It is so nice because it can sit right next to Alex's Amby bed, and it will play wind, ocean, forest, white noise and it plays cd's, so I can play his Baby Einstein classical & lullabies too. This is what I have, but you can get a similar item at Walmart, Bed Bath & Beyond, etc.

Timex Stereo Clock with Nature Sounds
Old 04-14-2005, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrog
Stacy:
1- BSWW seem to cover anything, unlike Proraps, so you could try any fitted and have it work out! I love all the various fitteds I have.

I also made one in a zebra print, and next will use a cute celestial print I found. I'm going to sell them for $10 or $12; they take more time than the pocket dipes to make. Let me know if you want to try one.
But do you have any particular brand of fitteds that you like, or are they all kind of the same?

I didn't know you can shake out the insert of a FB & HH. Guess I'll have to try that.

Yeah, I would buy one of your new diapers! Let me know..

I try not to watch much TV. I will sometimes turn it on in the morning to watch the first 10 minutes of The View to see what current events they are talking about. Other than that, I never turn it on in the daytime. The only show I watch is Lost, which I love! But, dh and I probably watch 1-2 DVD movies a week at night after Alex is asleep. It's good that Alex doesn't see TV - it's a real thief of children's innocence.

I sometimes listen to radio talk shows in the daytime on the computer like Alex Jones - love his show!

I play a lot of classical music in the house during the day when Alex is awake. Also some Latin guitar stuff like Ottmar Liebert. I save my pop music stuff (Coldplay, Maroon 5, Jimmy Eat World) for when he is asleep so he doesn't hear it.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamiel
Mieke typically watches Sesame Street from 8am-9am and then Clifford and Postcards from Buster in the afternoon. Not completely comfortable with up to two hrs of TV a day, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do...I know that hour in the afternoon helps dp keep his sanity :LOL
BTW - this is my 2 and a half year old described above. The baby watches no TV - she hangs out with dp in the 'office' while the tv is on. And M didn't either, until after we had R.

Not defensive or anything, am I :LOL

StaceyL - I really like SOS (suzie's one size) and sugarpeas. Sugarpeas you can get pretty easy on the trading post for $8-13, the SOS are a little harder to find but will fit until the kiddo's out of dipes. I refuse to pay more than $15 for one on the TP.

It's funny. I bought a full moon baby gear fitted the other day and told dp it was the last diaper we'd ever buy. No more kids and the stash is complete. Makes me sad, but dp didn't quite see it the same...

You really need to ask mum2tori (think the name's about right), she's the real hyena around

DD1 (8yrs) + DD2 (6yrs) + DS1 (4/25/11) = one crazy adventure!
Old 04-14-2005, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyL
I'm behind on the thread and will have to read later, but I have a question for you Mamas:

Can you all recommend some good brands of fitted, non-pocket diapers? I have a Fuzzi Bunz, and a Happy Heiny, and have decided I really do not like stuffing (or more accurately, REMOVING) the pocket dipes after they are wet. I have some Bummis SWW which I really like that I have been using with CPF's, but I would really like to get some fitted dipes to use with the BSWW's. Any advice?

I second the Sugarpeas hemp diaper with their wool covers. They're great diapers. And so far, no diaper rash ever! They are a little bulky but I guess most cloth diapers are. We call ds our little "pear boy" when they really stick out!
Old 04-14-2005, 04:42 PM

jilly - hope you feel better real soon!!!

TV - we rarely watch tv, though dh loves watching news/stocks in the morning and ds tries everything in his might to contort himself to catch a glimpse - I usually ask dh to just watch it in his office (he works from home); side note - when we got married I was adamantly against a TV in the bedroom - and I can proudly say we never put one in there. IMHO, I feel that the bedroom is a 'haven' and don't feel that a TV has a place in there.
Teething med - I give ds the Hyland's teething gel only, never liked the tablets (plus they are lactose based and he doesn't do dairy)
Diapers - I only have organic fitteds and them. SOS, Cuddlebums, Fireflies, Sugarpeas, etc... I think you can get some of them in non-organic. All of them are really trim too!!!
I guess I am on the younger scale (24) - but dh is approaching 30 and he is always showing me his "new" gray hairs :LOL I am sure I will have some soon....

Christine - mama to my 4 boys
Old 04-14-2005, 06:04 PM

Jilly - try disolving the Hylands in a little water, and then giving it in a medicine droppper.

Ashley - Does tylenol work for you? Acetaminophen really doesn't do anything for me, so I wasn't surprised when I found out that it didn't really work for Jack at all.

For the fitteds, my favorite AIO is a Fairyland Creation . She makes fitted and I'm sure they are super nice as well. But I also second shaking out your insert. That's what I do, too, even works on the poopy ones. My pet peeve is when dh doesn't shake out insert and just tosses the whole thing into the diaper pail. YUCK - it means I have to sort through the dipes instead of just dumping the whole pail in the wash.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:20 PM

Sistermama -- I guess Tylenol doesn't really work for me unless I take quite a bit (which isn't a good thing!). Good point. For some reason that hadn't occurred to me to be why it doesn't work for him (or doesn't seem to!).

Mamabear -- I didn't realize Hyland's made teething gel. I'll have to try that. I use the tablets now.

Old 04-14-2005, 10:23 PM

AugustineM-
Camping in a yurt with Thor!! Sounds wonderful. I was just looking at the LLBean camping catalogue for family tents. (Ours got destroyed in the Flood ... FEMA's not gonna help out our area ... guess we are a BLUE state).
Just dreaming of sleeping out in the woods with Lulu and DH.
Please let us know how it goes. Is there a forum for campers/hikers/wilderness freaks on MDC? Can't wait to get out in the woods with baby!!
Have fun!
Liz

Kids. I got two of 'em.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:31 PM

sistermama, the times I've left the inserts in pocket diapers, they've almost always come out in the wash on their own. Even the few times they stayed bunched up inside the pocket, they come out seeming pretty clean. I usually sun them just in case. But I figure, soap and water is getting in there just as well as if it were tight layers of sewn fabric in a fitted or AIO, you know?
Old 04-15-2005, 12:39 AM

We have Crickett's fitteds and like them. We got the hemp ones on sale because she was dissatified with the serging on the liners. I don't care that they're tan instead of rainbow!!! I need to get knitting and make some wool covers. Knitters: what are your favorite cover patterns (both shorties and longies)?

We had our first swim class today. It exhausted him but it was the first time I have ever felt completely unconscious of myself in a swim suit - probably because I was so tuned into the baby we had fun. He was so tired he fell asleep in the car on the way home.

Off to eat my pudding and get ready for bed.

xo, j

Old 04-15-2005, 02:42 AM

Hi all:

Back from a trip to Kentucky to see Lucy's dad's family. She got her first tooth while there -- can't see it well but can feel it & hear it clanking on her water glass when she drinks -- and her first haircut, and she stood up!! I had her sitting on my lap in the grass and all of a sudden she put her feet down on the ground, pushed, and stood! She kept doing it too. I wonder now if she is going to crawl at all -- she will not spend time on her tummy & turns over to her back instantly, but she seems quite interested in this vertical movement.

Off to bed to recover from the time change ... hope all have been well. I have some catching up to do!

Lisa

Loving Lucy Amelia
"light makes it better"
Old 04-15-2005, 10:36 AM

becca here's what the mom from my school had to say about the pox:

I've always been one to welcome a chicken pox
exposure. Gracie was under 1 when she got it but she
fares illnesses well and we use homeopathy so the
effects were not too bad for her or Sam. They had lots
of pox but it only lasted a few days. I'd suggest she
talk to whomever provides healthcare for her to see
how they'd view her kids would handle it. Many people
intentionally expose their kids to that one because it
is much more difficult to have it as an adult.

so there you go.

Tristan's going to fall over asleep here, so I'm going to take him back to the bedroom...

j

Old 04-15-2005, 11:21 AM

Jilly - hope you're feeling better!

Ashley - camping sounds so fun! We went went R was about 3 or 4 weeks old and it was just fine. Except that M was scared of the dark and our camp was invaded by racoons (we had no food out, so they were just noisy). The next morning, M kept saying 'the baboons stole my food, the baboons stole my food" :LOL Have fun!

R has her first tooth (thank god) and is crawling like mad all over the place. She can pull herself up to a stand on just about anything with a raised surface. My bet's on her being an early walker - she so wants to follow her sister around!

Jen, methinks you have new pics? Very Cute!!

Me too...

Old 04-15-2005, 12:01 PM

Sarah, your family is beautiful -- and what a gorgeous baby!

Lisa

Loving Lucy Amelia
"light makes it better"
Old 04-15-2005, 12:08 PM

What a bunch of cuties!! And look at her crawling!!!!!!
I am SO not ready for ds to do that...:LOL

Old 04-15-2005, 01:05 PM

Jen -- Thor had his second waterbabies class on Monday and he was fine until we got to the submersion part. He went under just fine, and held his breath, but when we tried to do it again he instantly remembered the "cue" and started crying. He didn't stop until we got out of the pool. I hope the next class is OK! He loved the warm water pool... I sort of wish they'd held off on the submersion a little.

Last night was another rough night , but I just felt Thor's fourth tooth. He's getting the one to the left of his bottom two teeth -- I just feel a sharp pokey. He was so wakeful all night, and finally at 4 am refused to go back to sleep. I kept him in bed and didn't turn on any lights, but he started to get mad after a while. DH got up with him at 5:30 finally. So now he's napping in his carseat. Hopefully that will last a while!

A question for all you mamas: Does anyone else have a baby that is impossible to lie down on a flat surface while asleep , but will do fine if they're layed down on an incline (like a carseat)? I have tried, over and over, to lay Thor down in his crib or on our bed asleep and he wakes up every time, even if he's in a solid deep sleep. Finally I tried a carseat and he is fine when I lay him asleep in there. He's getting too big for it, though. Any ideas for what to do when he outgrows it?

Almamiel -- LOVE the pics! The one with Mieke in a wig is so funny.

Leaving for the yurt today....

Old 04-15-2005, 06:45 PM

Hi all you sweet mamas.

This week has been difficult. I am going through a bout of Mastitis...ugh. I have had a plugged duct, but this was much worse. I do not want to go to the Dr. or take antibiotics. I talked to our midwife, and did what she told us to do. Rest, breastfeed on that side (sooo painful), warm compresses and massage that breast. Has anyone else been through this? I was so sick the first day that DH came home to watch Buns so I could rest. I had the chills and a 102 temp. Today is better though.

FF- That for the advie on my MIL, you are so right, I just need to remember that!

Hope everyone is doing wonderfully and that you feel better Jilly!
Old 04-15-2005, 07:02 PM

Oh, yuck, Bunsmom - had mastitus for the 1st time when R was about 6 weeks old and it was awful. I must admit, I headed straight for the dr (and I haven't been to the doctor for anything except childbirth since I was under 18 and living at home) for antibiotics. If you're feeling better, than you probably don't need to worry. But if you start feeling worse, you should probably head to a doctor - I think mastitus can turn into absess in really bad cases?

This might be helpful what kellymom has to say about mastitus

Hope your feeling better soon!

Old 04-15-2005, 10:09 PM

Bunsmom -- Been where you are, and it's no fun! I did a number of natural remedies, but I think the most important was garlic. I'm sure you know it has antibiotic qualities. Take as much as you can stand. The real stuff is the best. Hope you are feeling better. . .
Old 04-15-2005, 10:30 PM

bunsmom hoping you get better real soon....

On a side note - I played Hyena today scored some fluff from SOS!!! It was quite a rush.....:LOL

Old 04-15-2005, 10:33 PM

:LOL Christine, saw your posts on the SOS thread. Good scores!

User Tag List