January Babylicious April Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 497 Old 04-04-2005, 03:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
YAY!!! Will's home
You're right Nicole, that I have no idea what you've been thru.... It must have been/is very hard. And I'm sure seeing the sicker kids there was horrible...
One thing is that those little bodies are AMAZING and he will heal so quickly. Aknowledging that he's gone through a major trauma is good. I had surgery at 5 and was in the hosp for 3 weeks and I think that I could have used some healing afterwards that I never got- I deal with the pain of it now.

I'm so glad you all wanna come camping in HI- i'm all for it!!! just think of all those naked baby butts together... sigh

I''m feeling so frustrated. got an asia calling card so i could try and connect with my sweetie over there in thailand, but it's just not going through He's in his hotel room and i've tried a gazillion times to call, but they must have crappy phone service there.

friends came over adn made us dinner. their 3.5 year old has this thing where he won't poop. he holds it in. today he was at the height of having held it and he is sooo uncomfortable, his mood is foul and he scrambles around trying to keepit in. wow. they'vetold me about it, but this was the 1st time I've seen him like this. the poor guy even talks about how much better he feels when he goes, but he still doesn't go. he kinda acted like all ofthese

Andy- I bought way too much stuff at the mall. those sale signs get me every time. i did need some better fitting clothes though. My t-shirts are all so teeny and I'm needing a little, ahem, fuller cut these days. I also gota few things for Luka.
oh, also mama, your mei tai is almost done. Luka is almost asleep now so I may be able to finish it tonite and send out tomorrow...have faith mama!

Annie- glad you're doing better. we can have our HI vacation anywhere! Here,Kauai, wherever.... and please do come to Waimea-- it's about 45mins from my house. we could PLAY!!!

Jeni- the pics are great. Baby B is looking verycute!

it's been a long day, adn i had a nap, so I'm not falling over now (at 9pm). It's nice to feel not absolutely exhausted.

ok... gonna put my baby in bed and be a grown up for a bit
#62 of 497 Old 04-04-2005, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Yaay Will! Way to go!

Nicole, *hugs* to you, his physical scars match your emotional scars, and they will keep you two as close as can be as he grows. I can't wait for the next few weeks as he becomes superbaby and astounds us all with new and exciting things.

So being the mean mommy that I am, I kept poor cranky Lauren awake until 9 last night, and she slept until 4:30, which for me was a HUGE difference from going to bed at 7:30 and sleeping the same amt. of time. My body after 2 nights of this is feeling much more rested in the morning. She'll nurse at 4ish and sleep until 7 and nurse and sleep again, which gives me enough sleep and a few hours in the morning w/o her on me to get things done.

Which this morning is all of my paperwork that I didn't do for work and laundry. We've had her closet on the porch in a box for nearly 3 weeks now, and I'd go drag it in and put it together but it's too heavy for me!

Breakfast and a shower, here I come.
Lisa

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#63 of 497 Old 04-04-2005, 12:48 PM

Yay for Will and Nicole!
I just caught up on the last few pages... mamabecca (?I think it was you taking the dog for a walk) thanks for helping me see that we've been expecting too much of our 2 1/2 yr old, cuz your story sounds just like our house!

catnip: yay on the naming. I'm still working on plans for ours and they aren't coming together. dd1's was when she was 11 mos, but I really don't want to put dd2's off so long.

hmmm... what else... bad wedding vibes... sounds yucky!
3opihi: sorry things are so rough for you. Sounds familiar to me, though.

would write more but dd1 just made the poop sound...
#64 of 497 Old 04-04-2005, 02:09 PM

P&A Let me know if you'd like to look over the ritual we wrote. Her older sisters are going to be playing flute for the air invocation and clarinet for the earth. It is going to be SO cool. My mom should be here in about 2 hours, she left LA at 6 this am.

Nicole, my cousin went through something similar with her little boy. He had open heart surgery at 4 months old. She also talked about feeling guilty to take him home when... well, you know. It's normal. Hard but normal. One thing to note, Ethan is now 10 months old and healthy as can be, but he gets nightmares. My cousin has good luck helping him with Bach Flower Remedies. If you have similar problems, it is something to keep in mind. (Would also be happy to make a dream catcher or "dream pillow" sachet... I wildcraft or grow all nine herbs I use in it. Anyone who wants one, let me know.)
#65 of 497 Old 04-04-2005, 02:19 PM

Catnip - that nightmare satchet sounds so cool! My 2yo has been having really bad nightmares. I hope they don't turn into night terrors. He would probably like one

I'm so relieved that little Will is home!!!!! :

Nicole, I can't understand at all how traumatic this was for you. But I'm still here to listen. I must reiterate how awesome you are to have stayed with Will the entire time and to be taking such good care of him. When I was about his age, I had surg. and was in the hospital for two weeks. My parents just left me there though Please, through all of this, try (and I know its hard) to take time to process all of this. My heart and prayers are with ya mama!

Um...not much else to write. How cool is that that ya'll really want to come to Hawaii?! Ok, coffee is done and I so need it :

Az - I need your address.
#66 of 497 Old 04-04-2005, 02:22 PM

Oh yeah, any ideas on how to get a baby to poop? V hasn't gone since thurs. and she's starting to get a little desparate.
#67 of 497 Old 04-04-2005, 02:36 PM

Yea!! Will is home! Nicole you must be so releaved. That's great hopefully things will be in an upswing now.

I've got my sick nephew here. I had to pick him up from school becuase he was throwing up. However on the good news front Elizabeth slept all night!! We went to bed about 10 and she didn't wake up once until 5:30!! I couldn;t believe it when I looked at the clock and saw the time. She got up 15 mintues before dh's alarm.

I've got to be quick here. Miss E is due to wake up from her nap shortly and I have to get ds from the bus in 20 mintues.

Andy, bummer about MIL I hope dd is taking it ok. Hopefully you'll get your car back asap. It has to be a bummer no dh and now car. I know when I didn't have my car, even though I rarely use it, I felt trapt. It wasn't even that I wanted to go somewhere it was more that I couldn't.

Annie, I hope venting helped you some. Having a little vacation with dh sounds like it will be good for your mental health and your relationship

Ahhh camping in HI would be nice, even with the bugs. If only we were rich and could fuel up the private plane and jet off to cheer Ann up and give Karen some adult company.

My nephew talks so much. I don't think he stops for more than 2 minutes at a time. I just can't remember what else I wanted to say

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#68 of 497 Old 04-04-2005, 02:38 PM

Ann on the poop you could stick the thermometer up her bum, yucky but it always seems to work.

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#69 of 497 Old 04-04-2005, 02:48 PM

Nicole, I am so glad to hear that Will is home!! YAY!!!!! I'm sure that I can't in any way fully *understand* what you've been through, but I am here to listen & support in any way I can.

Ann, how 'bout bicycling her legs? Brynn tends to be rather, um, "productive" when we do that...

Pam, I'm right there with you in coming to see that my expectations are, at times, too high for our eldest girl. It's tough to remember sometimes that she's a babe herself! I'm doing better now, but a few weeks ago I found that I was sooooooo lacking patience. I've also been incorporating a bit more structure in our day, and that has been really positive.
#70 of 497 Old 04-04-2005, 02:49 PM

What is UP with Luka- his wake up times seem to be getting earlier and earlier : . today he started his pre-waking squirm at 4:45 and was wide awake by 5:15. This is just NOT working for me. argh. And I don't know that keeping him up later, like Lisa did will make any difference, because he's gone to bed at 8-9-10 and always wakes up around 5-5:30ish. I'm kinda a morning person, but not THAT morning!
Damn.... might have to start drinking coffee again- just to COPE.

Az- your nephew would fit right in with my boys. Luka talks tons and I can tell he's going to have to yell to be heard in this verbal household. Poor thing.

Annie- Luka doesn't poop that often, but he doesn't seem to be too perturbed by it.... is she really fussy? Are you eating good fiber-y foods? I've always found that my nurslings have similar digestive things going on as me- like if I'm gassy, they are too, constipated,etc....

I can't wait to see my dad. Silly, but he always takes good care of me adn I'm feeling like I could use some papa tlc. When he's around I always get uninterrupted mealtimes, he takes baby early in the am, all the great stuff. I think I should hire him to be my nanny, in fact, lol! only 3 more days
#71 of 497 Old 04-04-2005, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azreial
Ann on the poop you could stick the thermometer up her bum, yucky but it always seems to work.
I've heard that suggested too, but then elsewhere (maybe kellymom?) that its not good cause they get used to needing stimulation to go. Bea always seems to go if she's sitting on me, facing me with her legs drawn up. Bicycling works for gas but not for poop, here.

Probably the best way is to travel at least an hour from home with one spare pf and no spare covers. :LOL

Hurray Will!
#72 of 497 Old 04-04-2005, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3_opihi
Catnip - that nightmare satchet sounds so cool! My 2yo has been having really bad nightmares. I hope they don't turn into night terrors. He would probably like one
Tell me where to send it, I have to go down to the river to collect mugwort and vervain for Kaia's naming anyway. Anyone else who wants one, let me know by Friday so I can pick enough. It will take about 3 weeks for the herbs to dry so I can make them into pillows. I use mugwort (wildcraft), lavender(homegrown), rosemary(homegrown), vervain(wildcraft), chamomile(sometimes homegrown, sometimes wildcraft, will depend on if the wild is blooming yet or if I have to use my dried crop from last year), peppermint(homegrown), catnip(homegrown), morning glory seeds(homegrown), and rose petals (homegrown). I also usually put a little piece of malachite or amethyst in them. Then I tuck the sachet between the mattress and the sheet under where I lay my head.
#73 of 497 Old 04-04-2005, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paquerette

Probably the best way is to travel at least an hour from home with one spare pf and no spare covers. :LOL
No kidding! That has been known to get a second poop in a day out of Kaia. And she's usually an every other day-er. Goes along with wearing white to make your period start.
#74 of 497 Old 04-04-2005, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

ROFL I can't help but laugh, the last cover and one prefold IS the way to do it. I'll gladly trade some poo vibes with you, I swear Lauren is still going as often as she eats, but now she waits instead of going while she's eating. Even at night. Poo all the time.

Dh and babe are napping upstairs and I'm in the batcave (computer lab) doing nothing.. aaahhhh. Ok so I'm waiting for the laundry to finish so I can put my dipes in the dryer and maybe wash some grown up clothes.

Going to work on Thurs. and then Tues in 2 weeks and then I will be officially done with all obligations except report cards, which are easy enough to do from home.

Catnip, I'd love one too, they sound mmmmmmmmy.

Lisa

#75 of 497 Old 04-04-2005, 05:32 PM

Alas, I forgot the old, put the baby in expensive white babygap dress technique. worked like a charm :LOL how do they know these things???
#76 of 497 Old 04-04-2005, 05:50 PM

catnip- can you count me in too? that sounds delicious!!!

My babe is having trouble getting in a good nap today. it's just LOUD at my house and he's not a heavy sleeper.... sigh.

Annie- so does that mean she went? good deal!

I went out on our lanai to swing Luka to sleep.He just will NOT nurse if he's not hungry- sleepy or not. Anyhow, it's a little windy and the wind was blowing straight from the gardenia bushes to me.... heaven. You should all get your butts over here!!!
#77 of 497 Old 04-04-2005, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

We're having a no nap day today either. Dh says every time he tried to sneak out of bed she'd wake. So I tried to nurse her down and that didn't work either. So I gave up and we went to the local discount mart and got produce and cereal and she fussed like mad the whole time.

Dh is off to school so we're gonna hang on the couch and veg for 2 hrs.

-L

#78 of 497 Old 04-04-2005, 06:46 PM

Nicole, Yay for you and Will!
Leave the feeling guilty to us, those of us whose babes didn't have to have surgery at all, if you can.

Ann, s and more s - it is horrible that your DH is not there for you now. I wish we could all come over. I hope everything has fallen back together. Sorry Waikiki did not work out. I hope DH gets a good clue and takes you someplace great.

Lisa, that's crazy about the weather, and hilarious about the batteries! Your DH is industrious that way. It's funny how everybody is good at something. Mine is a metallurgist and can tell me which dishes can't go in the dishwasher and why. Everybody else, what is your DH especially good at?
Nightmares - are you worried about the kids you taught?
That wedding - yuck! Sounds like one of those weddings where you can take bets with the other people at the table about how long it will last.
Andy's comments about soul mates are interesting. My DH and I aren't as much soul mates as life mates; I've felt stronger connections to other men, but DH and I get along so well and love and respect each other the most. It makes for a relatively easy marriage.
Giggles - lucky you! I can't wait for Evelyn to start giggling. She is cooing more now.

Catnip, crazy birth story there! The hospital sounds horrible. I'm sorry they treated you like that.

Cottonbabies has some good microfiber inserts. Microfiber looks like towels but it feels more slippery, somehow.

Andy, yeah, better to outgrow the clothes than those beautiful soakers!

Karen, good that DH misses you. His homecoming will be fun.
How frustrating that you can't connect to him on the phone.
Luka woke up earlier even with the time change? That's crazy.

Az, bummer about the sick nephew. I hope he is not contagious.

Pooping - Evelyn is like Lauren. She poops more often than she pees. Today she got a good poop cannon launch during a diaper change. That'll fill the laundry basket instantly.
Oh, and our technique for instapoop is "This is a very pretty hyena dipe that I'm putting on her now."

Paq, cute baby!

Sorry for the people with snow and rain. It is Gorgeous here! Sunday was fantastic, seventy degrees and beautiful. Today it's actually hot, like 75 and a bit of a breeze. Fan-tastic! Nana and the baby and I even went to church yesterday, it was so pretty.

Oh, the other day I added pics to the website. http://www.cirerrek.addr.com/evelyn
If you're in a hurry, at least check this one out: http://www.cirerrek.addr.com/evelyn/twomouthsopen.jpg

Yesterday Evelyn went down for the night, on DH's shoulder, at about 5 pm. Eep! So she was wide awake from 3:30 - 5:30. This morning, DH thanked me for staying up with her, even though most of it was in our room, keeping him awake. He told me I am a good mother. That made it all better.

Are there lots of mosquitos in Hawaii?
#79 of 497 Old 04-04-2005, 07:15 PM

nak
jessica-
no time change in HI at all... you guys changed??
and yes, there are mosquitoes here, but the amt depends on where you are... no malaria or anything tho
#80 of 497 Old 04-04-2005, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Oh yeah, time change for everyone but Indiana. We all sprung forward an hour, making it light later and dawn at a normal time.

I'm sitting on the couch watching the new neighbors clean up their garden. Only problem is it looks like they are tearing out some great perennials and they just need to cut the dead stuff down and be patient. ggrrrrr!

Lisa

#81 of 497 Old 04-04-2005, 08:41 PM

Ooooh, gardenia... mmmmmm!

Michelle - I'd love one for ds. He's also a light sleeper. Sheesh! I finally put the fan in his room (along with the electric heater and the radio). I actually do NOT like the static station near us. It inconsistent and yucky. Maybe I just don't like static? The fan is much better. Maybe he'll sleep longer than 3 hrs.? It's been weeks since I've gotten 4-5 hrs. sleep. sigh. He just keeps waking up today - won't sleep more than 15 min. unless he's ON me, which isn't possible all day long. I have NOONE to help, so he's just gotta suck it up, which SUCKS for me. I have slung the little man for 14 straight hours today. I'm feeling quite done for the day. Obviously we're up at that godawful hour too, Karen. 5 am is a regular waking around these parts. sucks.

Well, we're supposed to get our car back sometime tonight...hold thumbs! It cost me a plane tix to Hawaii to fix. sad. very sad.

YEA WILL!!! YEA NICOLE!!! I'm so SO glad you guys are home, even if it's just temp. You won't need to go back in for a long stay, though, right? How was today? Did you two sleep well? Was Will happy? Big hugs to you all!

And glad too that Little V. is feeling better. Yup, white Gap, or even just your very best cover with a loose diape inside will work! It's just like magic... glad that's taken care of!

Ok, baby is crying ... again. I will go one more time and nurse him. I say that every time. K - he's a lot like Luka though. He doesn't want to bounce, doesn't want to nurse, just wants to ... I don't know WHAT he wants. But the crying MUST stop. caio.

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
#82 of 497 Old 04-04-2005, 08:55 PM

whew! By the time I'd snuck up the stairs he had quieted. I sat outside the door for a few min., but he was fine. Now I want to add Jessica - your pics are SO great! Jerry walks Ori around for the tour, too. Here's the window pane I fixed just before it snowed, and here's a doodlelupper screw that holds the whatchamacallit to the thingamajiggy...it goes on forEVER. Good news is he can drag out a tour for upwards of 30 min. and the little one seems enthralled the entire time. Evelyn and Ori both have the monk's thingee around the back of their heads...VERY cute! I wonder if that means they'll lose the hair or not. Beca didn't have that, didn't lose her hair. hmmm. Oh well, he's crying again! Caio!

#83 of 497 Old 04-04-2005, 08:57 PM

Jessi, wow is Evelyn big! I was thinking she was looking like a little butterball outgrowing all those diapers but nope she's big all around. My nephew is like that. He's 9mths and he looks about 18mths

I don't think AZ does the time change either. I forget who lives in AZ, but whoever you are can you correct me if I'm wrong.

If anyone wants the formula for explosive poo, I've got that one now. DH had never seen an explosive poo, Miss E hadn't done one ever. We were talking about it yesterday. Well she was wearing these too cute, but baggy, shorties I got off the tp when dh got home he changed her into a diaper that gapes at the thighs. Well cute shorties+gaping legs=explosive poo. It even dripped out of the leg onto my pants. Cute little shorties I wanted to show off and take pictures of her in went right in the sink and are now drying. Since its too warm for heat here, it'll prob take days for them to dry

#84 of 497 Old 04-04-2005, 09:30 PM

jessica- I thoroughly enjoyed looking at the pics of Evelyn! What a cutie! She looks content throughout!

Andy- what's up with that expensive car repair??? more worth it to fly here . Hang in there mama.... how many more days til papa comes home? I have another week from today, but will be rescued by my dad on thursday.... I CAN'T wait. seriously.
Worst part is that dh might go away AGAIN at the end of April. I'm not exactly sure when, but I'm pretty sure it's gonna happen. I had conveniently forgotten about that, but realized it today too close together....
then we're going on a big family trip in the summer to see all the family and show off the babe. We're coming all the way to the E.Coast, to Nantucket- anyone else go there? I've heard that's an ECoast thing. I dunno anything about that. I'm a west coast girl myself.

It's beautiful out and I'm just to damn tired to enjoy it. I've tried to nap today with the baby, but I can't really sleep until the afternoon. Napping at 10am just wasn't cutting it for me.

well, I'm just rambling now. Luka is asleep and I'm not much for doing anything else.
#85 of 497 Old 04-04-2005, 11:05 PM

Hey thanks mama - I'm ok. Just talked w/dh - he's feeling all lonely...I guess he's feeling it for yours, too... at least we CAN talk! I'm feeling lucky there. The car thing sucked. I'm just trying not to think about all that cash. kinda like digging a bit pit in the yard, tossing all that green into it, and then just covering it back up. When the car does get back (which isn't today, I guess, as it's almost 10pm and no car yet), it'll just be like it was before it got broke. sigh. 300/month every month for the next 10 months and we are THERE! Anini beach - check that one out for me, will ya - it's somewhere on kauai I remember, between Lihui and Hanalei. pretty and good for older kids to snorkle etc. Can't remember too much more, tho. If I had tons of moolah I'd say lets all go to Kalalau on the Na'Pali coast - we could go by boat. The hike in is pretty brutal, but it is amazing. I think, tho, that Hanalei bay is maybe better for all of us. Who's in, anyway?

I'm so zoned, I think I'll just ramble for 5 more min. and then that's it, bed time for me.

Did someone ask about bugs? My dh is a bug guy. He has them in the freezer, on his desk, he's just chocka-fulla bugs. The Boll Weevil is REAL - more real than Horton's whos. Totally real, evil little buggers. Dh knows more than me, I just know they kill cotton plants. I think they have caused like BILLIONS in damage over the years. They don't seem attracted to very many other plants, though.

Dh works for the DEC here. He's in charge of forest health. He gets cool t-shirts and goes to a lot of conferences all over the place. Field work is all over NY state, as well as in the 'region', which goes from maine to maryland, Atlantic shore to Michigan. He's working a lot with several invasive species, mostly trying to control (rather than eradicate) them. He used to work with pheremones, which are the special secret chemical messages that bugs emit to each other. His company would collect them in the wild and them synthesize them and sell them commercially to the forest service, golf courses etc. to control pests. Instead of spraying, that is. They put the chemicals into traps and lure the bugs in, so no spraying. Kinda cool in a weird, icky sort of way. Bugs are weird to me.

So outside is SPRING! Still chilly and rainy, but "April showers bring May flowers!" I'm totally psyched to see our tulips. I made several new beds in the front and side yards last fall (yup, big fat preggo butt!), so hopefully we'll see something soon. New task is to rip up the yard in the back and get some grass growing there. I got some done today, but little Ori wasn't that keen on being worn while I did it, so I plonked him into the stroller and he watched for about 10 min., before starting the rounds of complaining. You know, they start with a babble, then move to a mild complaint, then to a whimper, then to a cry, then to a HOWL! I stopped before the cry, but after the whimper...bad mama. I still only got about 10sq ft. done. sigh. I can tell it's REALLY spring because there are zillions of dead worms out in the street. They leave the soil (or drown) and then can''t get back into the dirt fast enough and 1) get squished by cars 2) drown in the creavices of the asphalt or 3) bake in the sun. The stench is very distinct. At least to me. Very SPRING. (I think I like spring the best, but I love the SMELL of fall the best.)

Well, I've eaten two muffins, let out and in the dog, straightened a tiny bit - the house is just going to be a pit tomorrow for mom's visit (and I really just do NOT care). I hope everyone is having a peaceful night! Hugs, andy

#86 of 497 Old 04-04-2005, 11:07 PM

Ok. I'm counting 5 pillows so far.

Went to the Ped today. Kaia is now 23.5 inches long and 8 lbs 15 oz. This is up from 6-13, 19 inches at birth, 6-7 at lowest recorded (3 days), and 7 lbs at her 2 week visit. She's gone from the 10th to the 70th percentile on height, but from the 10th to the 5th on weight. Dr started making bottle of formula noises. I'm so freaked and feeling like a bad mom. Called LaLeche, and they said her weight gain is within the 4-7 oz per week range that is considered normal. There wasn't anything else sending up red flags, she's alert, happy and developmentally normal. And DH and I are not small people. So I'm scared. But my mama wisdom says I just need to focus more on nursing her. ANyway, Mom is taking DH and us out to dinner tonight, so going to run. HUgs, mamas!
#87 of 497 Old 04-05-2005, 12:18 AM

Time Change - Arizona does not change....

Yippee for Will on the arrival home. I have no idea what you are going through, Nicole. Like everyone else, I am available if you need me.

Catnip - I will take a pillow, too I think the weight gain is fine. DS was off the charts for height and around 30-50% for weight. I never supplemented. Some babies are lean and others are chunky. DD is a chunkster. She has arm rolls - same family different body/weight gaining pattern than ds. Trust yourself and your ability to feed her. She is gaining weight. Just follow her cues and feed on demand. Your are doing the best thing for her by nursing.

Anne - glad things are going better. A vacation sounds like it is in order!

Mamabeca - glad dh will be home soon. I like your Hawaii suggestions.

Hmmmm...Hawaii sounds oh so nice. Not sure if we can save enough by January, but I am willing to try

Frustration with toddler/other children - I notice some days I just have no patience. Usually it is when I try to accomplish too much. I have discovered if we just take it slowly and ds gets plenty of time with me that days go MUCH better. I have decided to not worry too much about the house. I figure the board of health hasn't come yet Today we painted, colored, played outside, glued and played with stickers...Phew - ds was so much easier to get along with. DD did very well in the sling...I was pleasantly surprised.

DD is getting so big She is interacting more and more. She gives everyone big smiles and talks a bit. It is so amazing the changes that take place the first year...

Proudmom
#88 of 497 Old 04-05-2005, 02:11 AM

That's great Heather! It's nice when the groove works. I love it too!

Michelle - my dd was a "slow gainer" by the traditional standards, but was very long and lean. STILL IS and she's 6! She's in like the 15% for weight, 85th for height. Tough nuggies on them. Your baby sounds and looks perfect. You and dh being big (I take to mean no skinny lizzie) has nothing to do with her being on the slight side. If you were both super tall and she were a shrimpie, that'd be weird, but ALSO not unheard of.

I got scared into supplementing dd by the pedi., and will NEVER listen to them again because of it. It just about ruined our breastfeeding. It took me weeks to get her ONTO a bottle, and then, when I'd snapped back into the reality of my own little one being just perfect for herself, it took MONTHS to get her off of it! Ugh. It sucked.

If there is something wrong with dd you will know it - weight gain is only one of many indicators (wet diapes being the most important for how much food she is really getting). She should have 10 - 12 wet cloth diapes a day (at least - we go through 15 - 18 a day sometimes!), or like 6 - 8 disposables if you change frequently (every 3 hrs.). RELAX! She will tell you if there is something wrong, and it doesn't sound like there are any signals in that dept. She is certainly GROWING lots!!!!

Please people, I need help. My baby is sleeping. It's 1am and I am buying CRIB BUMPERS on ebay (for $2 - who could resist that?!). heeeeelp.... ok, going to bed now. lol! Andy

#89 of 497 Old 04-05-2005, 02:11 AM

Michelle, I'd love a pillow too please! They sound lovely. I wouldn't get too concerned about Kaia's weight gain ~ my first DD was consistently at the lower end of the charts for weight, but she had her own little "curve". Someone's gotta be at the low end, too! It's also important to remember that those charts are made with formula-fed babies stats in mind, not b'fed. I think that as long as she is thriving, and having plenty of wet/soiled diapers & is interested at the breast I wouldn't be concerned. It sounds like you two are doing a great job of it!

I'm looking for used cars tonight... ugh, what a lesson in frustration! Honestly, the web is just AWFUL for certain things.... used car shopping being one of them. So many links that take you no where you want to go ~ i.e. to cars available in CA, even though I put in my AL zip code! Annoying, annoying...

Tomorrow we have a playdate, which I am looking forward to but DD less so. She is kind of in an "inertia" phase, it seems. Wants to stay home, not keen on playmates, etc. Her temperament tends towards being more cautious, but particularly in recent months. Thing is, after a bit of angst when we first arrive somewhere, she usually has a great time. She's quite sensitive, and it can sometimes be a bit tricky with a babe in arms to provide the support she needs. She is a gentle soul
#90 of 497 Old 04-05-2005, 03:16 AM

Andy- what ARE you doing up at 1am on ebay? You're doing the single mama thing, so you should be ASLEEP right now since you have to be ON tomorrow-- or is that when your mom comes? Is she helpful with the bambino? or isn't she the weird one?

Michele- i second all that everyone else said- charts are not representative of every baby! at the same time, like it's been said, watch and make sure she's doing well. from her pics, she seems like an alert and aware little being- not one who's not getting enough. geesh... the way those peds drive parents CRAZY!

Heather- whether you have a toddler or not, it's a good lesson to slow down and expect less... everyone will be happier. I notice it with my kids, and they are "old"

Kathy- isn't it funny how playdates are often about us! we had a baby group that met when Noam was little, and he had fun, but frankly, it was more about me. I just needed the adult/ women interaction.

It's 8pm here and Luka is out for the night (shouldn't SAY that, but this has been the pattern so far). Since he's been getting up so early, I think i'll brush my teeth and try and be asleep by 9- or at least close to it. We hung out with a sick family yesterday : so I'm trying to stay healthy. yeah, my close friend- I love her to pieces, but we hung out.... her ds who is 6 was really dragging when we were at the mall. I figured if he was just coming down with something, then whatever. BUT while eating lunch, she told me that he'd been up several times in the night not feeling well and that he got up at 4am for the day.... clearly the boy was sick. oh well. pray we stay healthy.

g'nite all

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page