January Babylicious April Thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 497 Old 04-06-2005, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paquerette
And I thought we were weird going thru 18+ dipes a day. I always heard 8-10.
We go through about 12 but she usualy poos once day to a day and a half.

I forgot to mention that I got my fuzzibuns today so no more sposies at night : I could have kissed the UPS guy
I also got a hug-a-bub wrap that I traded for, with the video. I can't wait to try it out. Today was a good mail day

You know I feel kinda guilty about switching over to cloth only at night. We have so many sposies that I don't see that we'll ever use before she out grows. Dh's sister's bf's mother (geeze) gave us a box of 204 size 1-2 but they were too big so we bought a jumbo bag of size 1s (114 diapers) that we've only used 1/4 of

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#122 of 497 Old 04-06-2005, 02:02 PM

Az- I'm SURE you can fid a home for those unused sposies- you could donate them to a women's shelter or something. Bummer to waste the $$ on them, but they can go for a good thing...Also people sell them on ebay. you could try that.
Oh, I also didn't tell you that I got the diapes. THeyy are really nice- I like them! One persons junk is another's treasure, I guess!

I stayed up way too late last night with a sore throat and Luka slept poorly- oh well. Not smart on my part. I was watching sex and the city on dh's laptop :. WHen you don't have TV and then are faced with a whole DVD of shows, it's hard to stop.
Of course I have a full day of errands... oh well.
Luka sleeps in just a tshirt and diaper as well. We've tried different things, and he's a sweaty one. I also don't really like the feel of sticky skin on skin, so I want him dressed- also his upper half is usually out of the covers, so this works. As it is, his legs are always sweaty (i'm always paranoid the diaper is leaking).

he's hanging out naked on the bed now. I bought one of those flannely feeling waterproof pads at Ross for $2. It's nice, but when he pees, it sits on top, threatening to roll onto the bed. I think I need to make something absorbant and waterproof on the back.... hmmmm a new project!

baby fusses. gotta run
#123 of 497 Old 04-06-2005, 02:15 PM

Karen I'm glad the diapers are working for you. They're nice and soft but just didn't hold enough pee for us.

I got Elizabeth in the hug-a-bub. Oh I think I'm going to love this. I tied it on a couple of times with the video to make sure I could do it. Then I went downstair and picked Miss E up from her nap popped her in and she went right back to sleep. I think this is even more comfortalbe than the mei tai and I can bend over without her moving at all. I'll be going out to the bus (again!) in almost an hour so I'll see how well it works on the go in the sun.
I used dh's hotsling as partial trade for the hug-a-bub, hoping to get another carrier he liked (he's got a mei tai that he likes and uses) but I don't know if he's going to get a shot at this. It just might be mine.

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#124 of 497 Old 04-06-2005, 02:30 PM

Sorry folks don't have time to read through all posts right now but wanted to update. Through great determination on my part, I found a lactation consultant who, after a 3 hour consultation yesterday, determined that (thank heavens) there is nothing wrong with Kaia. The problem is me. I'm one of the rare women who have innsufficient glandular material to keep up with my growing baby's needs. With a lot of work and a hospital grade pump, I may be able to supplement with my own milk, but she may eventually need formula supplements. And only because I've done EVERYTHING right so far, is she doing as well as she is. I'll get the dream pillows soon, but building my milk supply is my number one priority right now. I'll check in as I can. Think milky for me!

ETA: Lactation consultant says it breaks her heart to see a woman like me who so desperately wants to breast feed and may not be able to and then watch women with perfectly good breasts formula feed.
#125 of 497 Old 04-06-2005, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Jessi, lol, right now we don't have a kitchen, we've been remodeling it for nearly a year. BUT do you remember i-opener or "net appliances" type things? Dh has one that he hacked, they are essentially a laptop screen with the hd glued to the back on a swivel stand with a keyboard, and ours now runs linux. I have every intention of it living on my new counter in my new kitchen so I can surf food.com while I cook

Ezzo is BAD.

Paq, I do just that ALL the time, at least I've learned to ALWAYS take the sling with me no matter how fast I think the shopping trip might be. Today in the pasta aisle I put my fussy baby in her sling and then got lots more groceries because I filled up the bucket with them too.

Az, their toes are still sharp even if you cut them. Trust me.

My afternoon routine is no fun, sitting here in bed on a way gorgeous day trying to get Lauren to nap. She hasn't napped yet this week, and it's getting REALLY hard in the evenings to tolerate her fussies. Dh and I pass her back and forth all evening on days like this.

Lisa

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#126 of 497 Old 04-06-2005, 04:13 PM

Hey Ladies,

So much to catch up on. Now that Will and I have finally started to catch up on sleep, we are feeling much better. Were to start.

Will is doing good. He is more himself everyday. I took a picture of his incision, 1) so that I can remember how big it seemed when he gets older and it is very tiny and 2) so that he can see it when he grows up. If any of you want to see it, PM me. Its not gross or anything, the surgeon did a great job. He is having a hard time sleeping though. He tends to be really twitchy during the day. I think that part of that is the fact that he is still hurting and sore. We are on an every 3 hours sort of routine with the meds. He gets ibuprophen 3 times a day and tylenol every 4 hours. We go for a follow up with the cardiologist tomorrow and the surgeon in 3 weeks.

I am doing better. Sleep is really helping.; I think that in 3 days I got a sum total of 6-7 hours of sleep and I am really feeling it now. My temper is much shorter with both kids and especially DH. I find that I get really frustrated if Will won't sleep and just cries and cries, even though I know the reason behind it. :

Catnip - good luck on increasing your milk supply. But, if you have to supplement, at least your kiddo is still getting some good mama's milk. Some is better than nothing.

Sleeping - Will usually sleeps in a onsie or a sleeper with a zipper. We only co-sleep part of the night, but on the nights that he has a onsie on, he does wear socks since I think he could actually cause blood shed with his toenails.

Diapers - I am so jealous of you who are trying new things. We have one system and stick with it. I don't really want to buy new things, I just wnat to try them and give them back. Generally doesn't work that way. :LOL

Wraps - I got my new carrier from the lady who sold me the shrinking one. I compared the 2 and the other one shrunk like 1 inch lengthwise and 2 or 3 width wise. No wonder it felt too small.

Thought I would relay another episode of th "Crazy MIL" story. If you all remember, she lost it on Easter and stormed out of here. Well, she came up to the hospital last Wednesday (I can't believe it has only been a week! Feels like much longer) and instead of coming into the waiting room, sat outside the hospital. She said she didn't know if she would be welcome. She was welcome to come in, but after her behavior, we weren't going to roll out the red carpet or anything. Then, she woulnd't even come in to see him after surgery. All she suceeded in doing was pissing of DH even more.

Well, babe cries and is hungry and needs medicine.
#127 of 497 Old 04-06-2005, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Jessi, I emailed dh an article about no-poo, and he says to me "hey if you want to try no shampoo thing, that's ok with me. I'll do it" So as soon as his bottle of 'poo is gone, I'm not buying any more!

L

#128 of 497 Old 04-06-2005, 06:26 PM

Lisa, cool about DH liking the no 'poo idea. My DH climbed aboard after I'd been doing it for a few weeks. It is even easier for them; with short hair, the natural oils reach the ends a lot easier. Not as much brushing is necessary for the hair to look great.
Yuck about the no-nap babe. Passing a fussy baby around in the evenings is no fun. Evelyn hasn't had an hour straight of fussing in a while, not since I came back to work. I guess the enforced routine helps.

Nicole, yay for doing better! Thank you for posting. Know that we all get frustrated with our babies when they cry and cry and don't sleep; that is natural. Even though you know the reason, you can't do anything about it, so it is just as bad.
That is insane about your MIL sitting outside the hospital! What a weird person.
How much does Will weigh now? Will he fit in small diapers? Is there a particular kind (or two or three) that you wanted to try? While the shops are not try-it-and-send-it-back, we are.

Lisa, DH would love to get to epicurious from the kitchen too, but I like my counterspace so have not mentioned the computer-in-the-kitchen idea. Fortunately he is content with building one computer for each of us, so far.

Catnip, that's great that you finally have a diagnosis you can trust on the breastfeeding difficulty. Are you renting a hospital pump? Milky vibes for you.

Az, where do they sell the hug-a-bub? The Baby Bjorn, to my dismay, has mostly replaced the Asian Baby Carrier at my house. We find it easier on our back. Evelyn looks so funny with her little limbs hanging out of it.

Karen, on the waterproof pad - we have one that's fleece on top and PUL on the bottom and we loooove it. You should make one! They'd make good shower presents, too.

We haven't cut Evelyn's toenails yet either. They're just starting to need it, the big ones. She wears socks almost all the time, even in the sleepers.

Someone mentioned the incredibly good baby smell. ITA! I could sniff her head for hours. It's intoxicating. Love that.
#129 of 497 Old 04-06-2005, 08:16 PM

'Nother confessed baby-sniffer here. Mmmmm, baby head! I kinda wish I hadn't started using stuff on her. We stuck with plain water for the first month, but then I got the Burts Bees sample pack with soap and shampoo bar. It smells good, but not as good as baby.

Catnip: s Lots of good milky vibes!

Wheee, nice day here! I was actually kinda hot by the end of our walk. She did have a couple of nice long sleeps, but still crabby in between.

Tomorrow is DH's birthday. I hope she behaves well enough for us to go out, cause I'm not up for cooking anything special, not after 2 crabby days.
#130 of 497 Old 04-06-2005, 08:56 PM

Yeah, what IS a pac man cabinet? It sounds big and kinda ugly (or maybe you'd turn it into a planter?)...trying to pawn off some big ugly thing on these nice mamas...LOL!

Heidi - as always, so great to hear from you! It sounds like your road to recovery is smoother now, which is really terrific! I have a hard time imagining myself with O-man trying to get anything actually done in a 'time limit' kind of way, it often takes SO long just to get supper made. He can get very demanding, especially if he's tired or just wanting some cuddle time. Which is prety much a lot of the time. He's in the swing at the moment, but that generally doesn't last too long. mornings are better for us - afternoons he seems to miss his big long sleep from the night before (yeah, like 4 hrs. is so long for a grown up, but it's working for him!). here at home we can work around it, but you mamas getting work done with the bambinos by your side is AMAZING!!!

Sorry to hear about the kids getting sick Ann. I hope they get better quickly! Poor V. I hate that babies get sick - not that it's much un for a two year old (or a four year old) either! LOL on the diapes.! I saw it and in an INSTANT knew it was for V. That's so funny you got the whole bunch! Did you buy last night? I ALMOST had a buy-free night, but found two cute outfits on ebay and bought them - 1.99 for both, which is amazing to me. They're swim outfits, two little pants, one hat, one t-shirt. One is boats and stuff, the other frogs and lilly pads. I just couldn't resist :LOL

Oh my gosh - I started writing this at like 9am, and now it's 7:30pm!!! Well, I guess I'll post and just catch up reading and then post again. Lisa - that's GREAT about your friend! If I can just buy a couple now, that's actually better. LMK. Jess - you really DO have an awesome baby. Ori has been out to dinner once, out to lunch twice. I dread taking him, mostly becuase I really see eating out as a total treat for ME (this is all about me) and then I have to cave and start walking and bouncing and I don't ever get to eat. I'd rather not eat at my own counter at home, thanks. That way I can graze in peace. He's really needy and his sleep is funny these days...growing and changing. Maybe we'll work into a nap schedule???

on all the pee issues. I got sprayed today, managed to duck JUST in time to avoid a full face shot. Totally soaked my shirt (after JUST getting dressed :LOL ). But no leaks. I LOVE wool wraps!!! Az - I realy recommend the Valor Kids all in 2, which I bought at Jam Tots, or Jess - help me out here, there is one wool wrap with side snaps, turquoise in color. Whatever that one is is also great. A little too small for nighttime for us, but a bigger size would be great for that. Also I just bought (this morning, not yesterday!) a Chumba diape. which is a lot like a fuzzy bunz but an older one. Supposed to work very well on skinny legs (and all).

Heidi - I've been thinking on the sun issue and have two responses.

1) is the Dr. Hauschka stuff works well on dd, I've used it on her since she was about two. I don't know about the baby thing. The only really powerful sunblock I know of for babies is made by Jason. They have one that goes up to like 56 or something. If you kept it fresh, like every 2 hrs. kind of thing. I imagine she'd be covered. Also
2. I would definately keep her under a tent/canopy during the heat of the day (11 - 3?). They do sell them but you may be better off getting some solerveil material and using tent poles and just rigging it up. That way you could have enough room for like two deck chairs, a small table, a blanket on the sand, etc. It's probably worth $100 worth of material to be able to go and enjoy yourselves! Good luck! Well, it's been like 1/2 an hour since I started this for the second time. so I'm excited to go read what's been happening all day! Caio for now. andy

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
#131 of 497 Old 04-06-2005, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessitron
Az, where do they sell the hug-a-bub? The Baby Bjorn, to my dismay, has mostly replaced the Asian Baby Carrier at my house. We find it easier on our back. Evelyn looks so funny with her little limbs hanging out of it.
Jesi, they sell the hug-a-bub at cotton cradles and tots and bottoms they look like they have the best deal $85 and free shipping. Its kinda expensive but after using it today I'd say its worth it. I had her in it for 8 hours, with two probably 20 minute breaks. I don't feel any strain anywhere. She loved it. And its got a neat pocket in front. It was great we were out for 3 hours and didn't have to bring a diaper bag. I just popped a diaper in the pocket and we were all set.

well dh is giving me the lets get going look, so I'm off to bed

#132 of 497 Old 04-06-2005, 10:44 PM

Oh wow, ok, - here's what I think

GOOD FOR YOU Michelle!!! Getting really good help is awesome. It's not fun to have not enough milk, so MILKY VIBES mama! Crank the mothers milk tea, nurse nurse nurse, drink a ton of water...all the stuff you already know, I'm sure. You are awesome for working so hard to give your dd the very best. Also, maybe ask your LC about milk not from cows but from say goat or sheep? As a supplement, it may be better than formula, it may not, depending upon how much she needs. It's high in fat and protein, but doesn't maybe have all the stuff that they can stuff into formula. I supplemented dd with 1 bottle of soy formula at night and it didn't hurt our supply at all (she nursed successfully for 18 mos) because that doctor scared me so much. shiver...

Ok, glad pac man cabinet has a home. nuf 'bout that! Hey Lisa - can I borrow dh for a few days to come fix this sh**box computer over here?! I shouldn't say that too loudly, as it's been working the last few days without too many crashes, but DAILY it's a nightmare. My dh isn't a complete idiot about puters, but he's no programmer, either.

Thanks again for the good wishes for his mom. He's having a rough week out there coping with obits, pictures for the service, etc., and he's giving the eulogy...I can't even imagine how hard that is. I SO wish I was there for him, but flying out there with the 2 kids for just a day is so overwhelming otherwise, and we really don't have the money...it's all tied up in the dumb bed! I do love the bed, but it seems stupid now.

I got like 2sq, ft more of dirt turned today, and I feel pretty darned good about that! I can't wait to have the new mei tai...from Annie's ravings it's gunna be awesome!!! I'm going to a street fair on Sat., maybe it'll get here for that! I had to have him in the stroller because I tell ya, this kid just is too floppy or skinny or SOMETHING for back carry! I'm sure dd was like 3-4 mos and I wore her on my back all the time! Weird.

Oh yeah, so Karen, have a great weekend! I hope the boys have a great time! Enjoy being with the men in your family ( ... except dh), and give your dad hugs from all the girls here who's dad's are NOT into babies. We love Dad's who ARE! I used my gauze today - I had it doubled too, but it isn't so hot here (tho today it hit 74!). It worked GREAT! Ori slept for over an hour in it! Made the brownie meeting SO much better! Whew. Girls were sewing pocketbooks (actually cutting out the patterns and choosing embellishments, which is half the fun. Next week is the actual sewing.) I really dig working with the kids on this stuff!

Nicole - your MIL takes the CAKE! With all you have going on I would seriously not even THINK about what she is trying to manipulate. She sounds like a really selfish mama to me. I'm glad dh is mad about it too. I suppose the silver lining is that while you're thinking about her, you're NOT worrying about Will! I'm torn about wanting to see the wound... it sounds like things are reall getting back to normal. He's crying, you're tired and frustrated :LOL welcome back, mama!!!

Oh, and yup - another baby sniffer. I'll even admit to wearing the baby more than he would like, just to sniff him! I wish I could bottle that smell. Do all babies smell alike? I haven't smelled anyone else's for a long time now, and dd is way to old for me to remember her smell. It's sort of milky, which is me, and sort of soft and sort of ooooooh, just yummy!!!

Paq - I hear ya on the craby baby no way am I putting out energy for someone ELSE thing. I really feel maxed out right now. I am doing it all, which is ok in a very temporary sort of way, but there is no WAY I could do anything 'special' and keep up this pace. Tonight was healthy dogs on the bbq and left over quiche (from mom's visit). That had some broccoli in it. Does ketchup count as a vegetable??? I haven't resorted to paper plates yet, but I'm close!!! Today I did sleep with O from 8:30 until almost 10am, or maybe 9:30, I forget, but for a while anyway, and it felt great. I woke up from last night more tired then when I went to bed! Tonight I'm not going to mess around on this dumb machine, I'm grabbing my book and heading up to relax in that wonderful bed (that O. doesn't like).

Jess - what's ITA? I can help send some diapes. to Nicole too, although we don't have anything fancy... some of yours, maybe! And certainly, Nicole, I can send you some to TRY and you can send them back after a couple weeks or something...mostly I have the Mother Ease One Size (and prefolds) but I also just got 6 Liz's hemp diapes. and the bunch from Jessi. Let me know! WHat I'm finding the MOST helpful are really good inserts. I find I can put a good thick hemp insert into any ole diape. and it's working great. and if I don't, that same diape. is just not doin the trick... Wet Spot City!

Bedtime, we're still swaddling. He's maybe getting old enough where I don't do it, but when try to get him to sleep w/o the swaddle at naptime he's just too jumpy. Can't sleep. The swaddle is like magic! I have him in a light terry sleeper or a cotton one, w/socks. If it's very chilly I put a t-shirt on too. But mostly he doesn't want me to sleep snuggled. He really wakes up too often and cries but doesn't want to nurse...it's a really bad cycle. We'll see what happens come summertime...

Ok, time to clean up the kitchen, walk the dog, straighten up the first floor so we can walk through it tomorrow (and not stumble on everything left on the floor today) and hit the sack. I love you guys too. This group has been a real lifeline for me! THANK YOU!!! :andy

#133 of 497 Old 04-06-2005, 11:27 PM

Jess and Mamabeca - Thanks for the offer to send the dipes. I totally appreciate it, but I think for the ease of things and to stave of temptation, I am just going to stick with what I have. Don't want to risk having to buy more if I find something I like better. DH would flip. He tolerated my trying stuff last time, but since this is the last kiddo, we agreed that I would not just go experimenting.

Will did not nap all day. I would get him down and go to lay him in the bassinett and he would wake up 5 minutes later. It was only so frustrating because I wanted to get the floor mopped, but I guess that for the next while I am just going to have to accept that he might need more time just cuddling. Intersting mind shift.

Gotta go get Em in bed.
#134 of 497 Old 04-07-2005, 01:42 AM

Michele -that's the same thing my LLL friend had, she ended up using a SnS for the first year, and everything worked out great. You should really talk to her. s.
#135 of 497 Old 04-07-2005, 04:10 AM

hey mamas! It's been a long and exhausting day for me. I am soooo needing my dh to return. I'm so over him being gone. Andy, I'm sure you can relate. It's just too much. I did all these errands today and then there was a ton of laundry to do and food to eat and I'm getting ready everyones stuff for our little vacation (I know, can't complain about the vacation- just the getting ready part). And I'm still not feeling well. But whatever... enough about that.

Catnip .... I know only very little about insufficient glandular tissue- I second Annie's suggestion that you contact her friend (I know her too online and she's a wealth of knowledge)... I know I also saw a thread about it in breastfeeding somewhere. If I wasn't pressed for time tonite, I'd look some stuff up, but maybe when I get back.

Nicole- I'm glad you're catching up on sleep. And forget the house mama!!! Just be there for that little man. THough he can't say so right now, I suspect he's going thru a lot of stuff.... just hold him and be with him. You'll be glad you did in the long run. And your MIL... geesh. I am just shocked at her behavior. Amazing people can make it into grandmother age and treat people so poorly.

Andy- hang in there. No guilt about the bed now. it would be a huge shlep for you to go anyhow, with the kids, so just be there at home and try and enjoy it.

ugh. I can't remember anything else I was gonna write. I need to take more vit c and stuff.... I'm just doing all i can to not get sicker....
I hope I can get online at this hotel. What will I do w/o you all for 4 days???? go insane!!! I'm going to be hanging out with, gasp, 5 males.... OMG. this is the curse of having sons. Love em to death, but no one in this house will be relating to me! oh well. at leaset sons LOVE their mamas!
g'nite
#136 of 497 Old 04-07-2005, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Just a quick fly-by posting this morning...

Andy, ketchup is a veggie according to the Reagan administration. Yum!
And I pm'd the gal with the soakers on my other board (we're geeks here, we have a local board set up like MDC so we can pretend we're cool)...

Nicole, enjoy the rest!

Karen, get some rest!

I have a 10:00 meeting with a parent/student today. Only one more after this to deal with. Of course I have to take babe with me, and she's NOT one to sit and be content. UGH! So I'm hoping to get to work 20 min prior to my meeting, nurse and walk her in the sling and knock her out cold! She's up and cooing at dh now, so she hasn't had her full 12 hrs of sleep, maybe she will take a decent nap at work.

Gotta talk to my principal today too, I put in my paperwork for next year to have the entire school year on leave, and it's being fwd to her for a signature, I should probably beat the paperwork to her desk if I ever want to go back there for work!

Lisa

#137 of 497 Old 04-07-2005, 09:19 AM

Karen - good luck keeping healthy mama! What's the point of a spa vacation if you are drippy and achey?!?! I'll send out some healthy vibes for ya! I hear ya on the boy thing. I did a lot of stuff with my dad and brothers growing up, my mom (you might guess) wasn't into doing stuff like skiing, so I was the lone female. It's not easy. I always managed to get my own room (or at least bed), though! I guess that won't be for you this time, you'll be sharing with at LEAST one kid - but the good news is that you will be able to spend some QT with the family and then when Dad gets back (theirs, not yours), you will have lots of energy to put into spending some healing time with him. I get to talk to dh a couple of times a day (expensive, but WORTH it), so yeah, I'm so totally DONE being the one on call 24/7, but it's not THAT different from normal, just the evenings and weekends that are tougher. Jerry is due back on Sat night (late). Your dh is gone a few days longer, isn't he. sigh. It will be nice to have the family whole again. I used the gauze again today facing out and it sucked. His head bobbled like a toy and my back hurt after just 1/2 mi. around the block. I will keep it to a front wrap for now. Eventually I will get online and try other wraps with it. I think you can do a hip wrap when they are about 4 mos. that is secure and better for cooking and stuff - a little safer than the front in-face carry.

Lisa - good luck with leave next year! I read your post wrong the first time, and I thought you had petitioned to have the entire school take a year off! I thought WOW! That mama has some clout! Then I re-read and it pinged for me. HA! Good luck at the mtg.

Nicole. ok, I will respect you need for simplicity, at least right now while life is still chaotic. Big hugs, anyway!

Ann - You are LURKING! LOL!

Ori isn't nursing very well today (last night was fine, every 3 hrs. on the dot for 12 hrs exactly). Latch on latch off. I'm going to go take some probiotics. Maybe the thrush is making a comeback??? I will look in his little mouth. This morning, for probably the first time, he woke up with the BIGGEST SMILES!!! He was really laughing at dd and I; 'course we were doing a strip show for him, getting out of jammies etc., you should see our act with the toothpaste foaming and the bootie shakes...it's a riot. actually, maybe you shouldn't!!!

Lots of hugs to mamas today. xxx andy

Lisa

#138 of 497 Old 04-07-2005, 09:20 AM

Hey - I just noticed that the MDC forum hasn't changed time for spring!

#139 of 497 Old 04-07-2005, 10:14 AM

Morning, Mamas!

Holy FUN mail day yesterday!!!! Karen, thank you SOOOO much!! Of course, DH and I brewed up a *big* pot of it last night after dinner, and it was divine.... I had no idea that Hawaii produced such awesome coffee! Seriously, it is so smooth & wonderful. DH says (and I concur!) that it just might be the best we've ever tasted. I'm really touched by your thoughtfulness.

Wow, lotsa posting yesterday! I wasn't around much, and we had a late evening thunderstorm that made it necessary to unplug all the 'puters, so it was kind of a quiet night. Nice, though ~ DH couldn't work (no computer), and so we spent it together

Heidi, thanks for commiserating about the weight thing. I just figure I'll keep exercising, add some weight lifting in here & there, and take what life has to dish out I guess! Luckily, I don't go enough places for anyone to notice yet that I wear the same 2 pairs of pants over and over again...

Man, I wish we all lived in a happy little January commune! IRL, I mean! Hawaii would do nicely as a set-up spot, no? I have to say that I'm so glad that I've "met" you all, and how wonderful it is to have such an amazing, supportive group. It's funny how I feel like I "know" some of you so well.

Our garden is doing GREAT!! The radishes and broccoli are really shooting up, and we're also seeing peas, lettuce and some peppers coming through. My little herb garden is doing fantastic as well! Man oh man, after 8 YEARS of apartment living, I can't express in words just how excited we are about this yard & garden. I think next weekend we'll be having friends over for a little backyard bbq ~ our first ever!

Brynn had a rare tough day y'day ~ she's usually such a total jolly gal, but yesterday afternoon I think she was super gassy but couldn't toot. Just stiff as a board, and alternating between sleeping and being unhappy. Finally, at around 4pm, she had LOTS of toots and immediately she returned to her super jolly little self. Gad, wouldn't she just DIE as a teen knowing I wrote this?? She is a really tooty girl, this one!

Nicole, it's good to hear your updates! I agree with what others have said ~ relax, lay back & give yourself some R&R time when it's possible. The housework and stuff can wait (invariably, it does... )

Andy, sorry that the nursing is off today. You know what worked great for our little bout of thrush? The grapefruit seed extract! A bit of an aside, a friend of mine's chiropractor (sp?) also said that GSE is great for the immune system. Makes sense! I love those morning smiles ~ what a treat! Brynn is a happy morning gal, and it's nice because her big sis has been a bit of a bear in the morning (like her daddy! )

Karen, I hope the time flies between now and when your DH returns. I know how hard that is ~ the first couple of days are ok... even kind of fun, but then BAM! It's really tough to fly solo for so long.

Michelle, lots of milky thoughts heading out your way! I think it's awesome & inspiring how committed you are to giving your baby the absolute best.
#140 of 497 Old 04-07-2005, 11:07 AM

ya know andy I was just looking at your sig and it looks like your dh is 7years old :LOL I had to read it a couple of times to firgure it out.

karen and andy. I know how tough it is to go it alone with a babym I can't imagine how hard it is with other little ones.

Karen I hear you on the boys. Well I have Miss E now, but before that it was dh, ds and I. Ds bio-dad is kinda on the femine side, he colors his hair, would go shopping for hours, most of his friends have even been girls. Plus I grew up with just girls, me, my mum and my sister, even the dog and cat were girls! Sometimes I feel so out of place. I don't know anything about man things. DS and DH like to go fishing and talk about cars, and I'm all like "eww I don't want to touch fish or worms" and hey to me a good car is one that will get you where you need to go, a great car is one that'll get you there comfortably without using a ton of gas. Oh but boys do LOVE their mamas almost without exception

Nicole screw the floor, go cuddle with that boy. Don't worry the dirt will still be there. Will needs you much more than the house needs to be clean. Maybe you could sucker, err ahh I mean ask someone else to do it Hey, you're busy with the baby, that's not an excuse you have for too long, better get the most use out of it.
I uset hat on dh sometimes when he comes home and the place is trashed. He'll look around and I say I'm sorry the place is a mess but do you know what I did all day. He never askes usually the place is a mess becuase I was online all day and didn't feel like cleaning.

Thanks to whoever brought up the thrush. It reminded me to treat myself. It doesn't bother me too much and it doesn't seem to bother Miss E at all so I forget all the time.

Well we used the fuzzibuns last night No leaks, no yucky smell and no redness this am ok a little redness but just what you would expect from wearing a pee soaked anything for 11hours. That girl is a heavy wetter though, I put 2 microfibre inserts and a hemp joey bunz and all of them were totally soaked when I pulled them out this am. She's only 2mths old I don't know what I'm going to do when she's older and does bigger pees.

Well today really is the half day so I've got to cut my computer time short and start getting ready.

Andy are you sure you have you time selection right? Becuase the forums are shpwing the "new" tiem for me

#141 of 497 Old 04-07-2005, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Nicole screw the floor, go cuddle with that boy.
Okay, it's been way too long since we GIO, because I read "screw the floor" entirely wrong. Last night I dreamed that DH made love to me, and then woke up and told him about the dream and then he made love to me, except wait that was a dream too, and then I told him about both the dreams and we made love - no, dangit, they were all three dreams! I didn't get any at all.

Az, does your DH go to bed at the same time you do? Mine goes to bed later, so he changes the diaper whenever he goes to bed. She doesn't wake up, and it's that much less pee she is sleeping in.

Andy, the turquoise wrap is a FLAM from Righteous Baby. I have a size 1 FLAG wool cover too, but it is lost. That and the turtle one disappeared around the time Nana Linda took over the laundry - along with some other items. She probably put them someplace weird and doesn't remember it now. Oh well, it's worth it to have someone else doing the laundry and putting our clothes away. How lucky am I?

Karen, mmm, that coffee sounds good. What can a mama send you, in exchange for some of that? Really, I want to send you something too. I have a FB you don't have, but it is not the most desirable one - a second of the bug print with the fabric inside out. Unique, yes, but not so pretty. Need any bibs? Or a pail liner? Or a web page? I can make a web page. No sewing involved there.

Today Evelyn is two months old. DH says, "She's only two months old? No way... [counting]... yeah, I guess it is only two months. She has come a long way."
#142 of 497 Old 04-07-2005, 01:22 PM

Morning
Jessica, I was , reading your comment about screwing the floor. too bad those were all just dreams, lol!
so you wanna try some coffee too? no prob.. can you pm me your address again? I'll send you some next week. and surprise me with something

Kathy- I'm glad you liked the coffee.... I'm going to send on what you wrote to my friends who grew it. didn't know HI was a coffee place? ever hear pf Kona Coffee? it's the most $$$ coffee in the world, grown on this island on a small area with a certain climate. it's all smalla family farms. VERY yummy. When you come visit , we can go tour some.

Az- glad the FB worked last night!!! She IS a big wetter- those are a lot of inserts at once! wow. when she's older, she'll probably space out her pees (and feedings, hopefully!), so it won't be too bad... right? it's been so long since I've had a baby!

Andy- dh comes home on monday. We're gone til sun nite, so it's perfect. I don't want to be in our house here anymore w/o him. I'm done. Yours will be there soon!!! if not for the babies, it wouldn't be a big deal, but when care is required 24/7 it's different.

Lisa- good luck on the job thing. I hope you get the leave you want and that Lauren is asleep for your meeting!
oh, and funny you mention the ketchup/ Reagan thing, because we were JUST talking about that the other nite! lol!
#143 of 497 Old 04-07-2005, 01:40 PM

Karen, I also meant to mention how much I loved the painting on the front of the card. It's *gorgeous*, and caught my eye immediately. It's extra-special, knowing it's Noam!
#144 of 497 Old 04-07-2005, 02:28 PM

Isn't it amazing! Babies make such amazing leaps. Their little brains grow twice as big, their bodies make so many developmental leaps, it's no WONDER they cry! They have to leave behind a whole world of little babyhood and leap into the real world and stretch and grow like some kind of rubber superhero, it's amazing!

Not much to add, but to say thanks for the good vibes. We're having a pretty good day here, O-man slept a bunch of hrs. and I got some work done that's been piling up. That always feels good.

Jess - that's pretty funny about mil doing the laundry but losing the good diapes. and covers!!! Aak - kinda a nasty little trade off, that. But as you said, WORTH it!

So WHAT IS UP with all of us reading stuff wrong!!! A sure sign of exhaustion and sleep deprivation. Dh 7 yrs old! HA! Even his mother (didn't) remember him 7 yrs old. Once an Angel, always an Angel, so they say. He doesn't look much like a motorcycle gang member when he's changing diapes.!
Happy two mos Evelyn, happy 11 wks Luka, happy weeks to all our babies!!! Hugs and Peace, andy

#145 of 497 Old 04-07-2005, 02:37 PM

Oh Karen is there anyway I could get some coffee too? DH really loves coffee. I used to buy him differnt coffees when I was working and I think he misses it. Maybe there's something from around here that you'd like?

Poor Jessi gio can be very tough sometimes. Plus its hard to be sexy with a flabby toneless belly.
Yes dh usually goes to bed with me, except Tuesdays. He watches The Shield then and I hate that show I don't even want to hear it. We normally go to bed about 9 and usually I get up at 6:30-7 with dh and ds, but sometimes Miss E just wants to take her morning nap right in bed with mama. Which is fine we wake up for 10-15 minutes and say hi to dh. She'll do some smiles and then be searching for the boob again and off to sleep we go. I really should change her then, but I don't have any diapers upstairs, and I'm tired.
Having dh do it is a good idea though. I'll have to bring a diaper upstairs with us tonight

Quote:
Az- glad the FB worked last night!!! She IS a big wetter- those are a lot of inserts at once! wow. when she's older, she'll probably space out her pees (and feedings, hopefully!), so it won't be too bad... right? it's been so long since I've had a baby!
:LOL its been almost as long for me as you. DS is going to be 7 June 1st. You know having two children makes me feel older than havgin one that's almost 7. I swear I aged at least 10 years the moment Miss E was born.

#146 of 497 Old 04-07-2005, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Jess, your dreams made me giggle.

And oh Kathy, I'm jealous of the garden, I only have flowers here, I'd like to get some basic veggies (peppers, cukes, tomatos, etc) in this year, or maybe in cotainers, that way they don't take over the garden.

Healthy vibes Karen!

Well I'm in my usual afternoon mode - laptop in bed w/babe. She just fell off my breast, but she's still wiggling a little. I hope she falls into a super sleep so I can get up and do something. She was SO good today. I don't know if it's the pepcid or just that she's getting older, but this week she has tolerated the car much more than usual. And I've figured out how to drive with one hand in the back holding the paci for her. She'll suck for about 3 min. and then get comfy and spit it out and ride along for about 10 min. before needing a comfort suck again. Most places we go are less than 10 away, so it all works out.

So I was worried that she'd insist on nursing during my meeting, but she was great. I gave her a finger to suck on and she fell right to sleep (bad mama!) and I nursed her when she woke up after the meeting. Visited with my favorite coworkers, talked to the principal (she is cool with my leave) and picked up some really yummy middle eastern food and went to my friends house for lunch. Her babe and the one she watches were both cranky, so mine looked like a good babe when she fussed only a bit. Now we're home, and I see her eyes popping open, guess she needs a little more mamamilk to put her out cold.

Lisa

#147 of 497 Old 04-07-2005, 06:40 PM

We have done a lot more cuddling today. He even took an hour or so nap this morning. Still, there is a fair amount of crying in between, which is really frustrating. I want to do something to help him feel better, but I can't figure out what that is, so I just hold him.

Jess I read it totally differently too. :LOL
Az- I took your advice, and actually made DH do it.

Well, he is down fro a few, so I am going to try and get some lunch.

Later.
#148 of 497 Old 04-07-2005, 08:11 PM

We went to the ped today 10lbs 4ozs 22 1/2". 75th %height 50th%weight. She got shots today and I just think I can do it again. I jut wanted to snatch her up and run away. I'm still shaken up about it.

Annie I got your package today She's in the soaker shorts or capris and the pretty little diaper. I wasn't sure if the little pants would fit, they looked so small. But they do and they look so cute. I took a couple of pictures, I'll get them posted up tomorrow. They really cheered me up.

#149 of 497 Old 04-07-2005, 11:10 PM

YEA Miss E. I think it's generally WAY harder for moms than for kids on the shot front. Esp. these little uns., they don't like it, of course (who DOES?! ) but watching it is actually, imho, harder. Anticipation is the worst part, and they don't have that, but we do. Kwim?

It is so great that we are all passing stuff around...makes me feel a bit sluggy for not sending out stuff : . I am going to a street fair on Sat. and will start collecting nice necklace beads for nursing necklaces. If anyone wants one, lmk . These are bigger beads for little fingers to play with as they nurse (keeps them somewhat occupied, prevents pinching the breast, etc.). I love mine!

The kids took a bath tonight and I just love the pics. http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/newand...hIEJzCBhDMJYCw
Nicole - you sound kinda wiped. Get some more sleep, eat good food, and know that your baby has been through a trauma. Your holding him is so important, even when he is still crying. Also, have you tried white noise to get him to sleep when he's crying? Works for Ori - the dishwasher when it's on), the vacuum cleaner is good, or anythign loud and constant. Ori doesn't like static from the radio (I just figured this out) because it wavers and isn't constant noise. Doesn't like that. Picky picky picky! I use the fan at night because it's loud enough for him but not too loud. I'd love to get a white noise machine for him, but I don't reallyt want to buy another gadget that will last for only 3 months and then become junk. grrrrr.

Lots of hugs mamas! Andy

#150 of 497 Old 04-07-2005, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azreial
I jut wanted to snatch her up and run away. I'm still shaken up about it.
Trust your instincts mama! It's not too late to stop. Have you done vax research? It's not an all or nothing, but go with what you're comfortable with.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page