January Babylicious April Thread - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 497 Old 04-11-2005, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpeasmom
Then I'm pondering while dh is getting the bottle, she's crying cuz she's hungry and I'm like I just don't understand those moms that formula feed, the ones that do it by choice not the ones that were not able to bf for some reason or another. But why would you want to deprive your baby for just a few minutes by getting a bottle ready when you can give instant food with you. It just kinda made me sad. I hate seeing her cry when I have to get a bottle ready.
even beyond that, and I know you understand this, it seriously disrupts your sleep. Even when ds was on formula, he breastfed at night until he gave up the night feeding. I just can't understand why anyone would want to do that. When I was still pg and dh and I were talking about pumping he thought he'd "give me a break" by giving her a bottle at night. Yeah ok...

Anyway things are kinda crappy here. Miss E has been a fussy bum. DH and I aren't doing so well. He was gone almost all weekend, he got all angry when I tried to talk to him about my feelings (about the baby and ppd, not going out) He keeps saying how if when we met ds wasn't on his meds (ds is bi-polar) "this would have never happened" yeah ds can get wild and extremly overemotional but he's not a bad kid and wasn't like that all the time off his meds. I can't even begin to explain how much that hurts. DS loves dh. I thought we were all a nice happy family, now it sounds like dh thinks ds is a burden. I never got that impression before but since the baby came ds has been acting up more, which is to be expected, and a lot more comments like that have been coming up. I don't think he's ever once said he loved ds. Seriouly I've been thinking about it since yesterday am and I can't think of one time. DH's said how he enjoys ds's company and that he's a good kid etc. I just don't know what to do. I went out all day yesterday and when I came home dh had almost nothing to say to me. We talked about as much as roommates who don't have anything in common. Same thing this am. I have this terrible sinking feeling that I made a horrible mistake getting married and having a baby both so quickly.
Oh and to add to that ds's dad wants to take him every weekend now. DS does nothing but hangout in their smokefilled filthy house playing video games or watching tv all day. I don't want to deny ds a relationship with his dad, but at the same time ds's dad doesn't pay child support and I can't even get the $$ for the dentist out of him. The dentist and ds's meds co-pay every other month is the only money that I ask for from him. Normally the $$ wouldn't be too big of a deal, ds's dad is un-emploted again , but with me not working money is tight around here. Especially since dh hasn't been able to find a second job yet. I made more than double what dh makes so the loss of my income is a huge financal blow.

I just feel like hiding in bed all day

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#182 of 497 Old 04-11-2005, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Laura, ugh, solids? Tell her to go away

Karen, welcome back. And Jess too!

Az, *hugs* to you, what crazy stuff to deal with. Maybe a few hours apart and then trying to talk again?

Andy, I shoved the website through the translator and it says something about "manufacturing your own oil cloth" which I'm taking to mean "make your own baby wipes" or something.

So I've got these piles of kids clothes all over the house, by size, still sorting.. dh is getting annoyed with it all and has started to walk over/through them rather than go around, so they might as well all fall over and get mixed up again.

Lauren will be 3 ms next week, and we're finally going to her 2 month well baby today. Can't wait for the nurses to freak on me when I tell them no shots. I'm also thinking of dumping the pedi and switching to a family practice for all of us, but I think I need to meditate on that a bit. I know of 2 FP in the area who won't hassle me on vax, one who is an ap mom, coslept, ebf her kids, etc. and the other is a wannabecrunchy dad, very open to trying natural stuff before abx, etc. Such a tossup

Lisa

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#183 of 497 Old 04-11-2005, 11:49 AM

Az, I'm so sorry! That sounds horrible. My dad did something similar with my brother. Josh is the poster child for ADD. My mom and dad married when he was only 2. When my dad was in a bad mood he'd blame Josh for everything. Not fun. Mom stuck it out for 17 years before she finally divorced him - but dad was lazy and wouldn't hold a job, not like your DH. I hope you guys have a good talk and he gets really nice.
If DS's dad does not pay child support and there's no divorce settlement that says he gets DS every weekend, then don't give him DS every weekend. Don't let either of them guilt you into it - he is your son too, and you take good care of him.

Lisa, we take Evelyn to an FP and we're very happy with her.

Laura, sorry that you have to supplement with formula. Good for you for only supplementing when you have to, though! It must be really hard to maintain a supply when Megan will not usually breastfeed. Pumping is so yucky.

Jess, welcome back! We're still the greatest group ever. Sorry to hear you'll have to go back to work. I'm back at work, and it's not all bad. When I come home at night and see Evelyn, I'm all happy to see her, even when she's fussy. I appreciate her a lot more because I'm not with her all day, which gets stressful. And weekends are fabulous now! And work is not bad either. I get to go pee whenever I want, and take as long as I want, and eat with two hands, and post on this board, and talk to other adults - lots of perks! Then I go home and cuddle with my baby, and that's great too.

Andy, that is a hilarious thing! What a great guessing game. I think it's a ... fortune teller. When you take some TP, it spits out a little slip of paper with your fortune on it, and lucky numbers for the lottery.

I hope Mar (chiromom) is doing well. She's probably super busy with her business and her baby.
#184 of 497 Old 04-11-2005, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Woohoo Happy Mail day!

Annie, wow, thanks! Dh is all confused again, he's going to stick to his prefolds. Those cutins are cute! And I think the fleecy puddle ones are going to be super too.

And I got a box from a coworker, some sleepers and rattles for Lauren.

AND big news, she rolled from her front to her back this morning on the bed. She can get from her back to her side except she doesn't get her hips over, I think the big bubble butt from cloth might be in the way.

Lisa

#185 of 497 Old 04-11-2005, 01:45 PM

Aloha Mamas
Az!!!! and to your ds. no words of wisdom here- just that ds is part of your package adn dh needs to realize that. if he says something negative abotu ds, it's also a negative on you.

so our trip was pretty fun. we stayed at this CRAZY obnoxious hotel. it's a hotel of major excess and in a gaudy way. it's gigantic- so much so that to get from one end to the other they have a tram and also a little boat thing. it's fun the 1st time, but after awhile it gets old. they also have all of these pools and waterslides.... nothing natural about it, but my bro really wanted to stay there adn I knew the kids would have a blast there. they did of course. i was sickened by much of it and I thought the food at the hotel sucked, but otherwise enjoyed spending time with my dad. He was great with Luka- walked him to sleep all the time- let me eat with 2 hands and all kinds of stuff. the kids watched waaaay too much TV and I got my own tv fix and remembered that I'm glad we don't have tv at home.

we all got too much sun, despite lots of sunscreen. oh well. the kids were just exhausted by the time we got home last night. I think yesterday they were in the pool from 10-4 with maybe a 15 minute break.

I am SOOOO happy to be back in my own house though with my own bed, with my own cloth diapers, kitchen, etc....
we took NO pictures, Kathy. dh has the digital camera and I bought film for the regular one, but when I tried to take a couple of pics something was wrong with it and I never got around to try and figure out what. so it is a trip that will stay in my mind.

so this am I have to unpack and change the sheets on the bed and do some other stuff before picking up dh!!! woo hoo! ds also broke his braces yesterday so we have to go and deal with that, grrr.

Laura- living here is not one big vacation for sure. though as a sahm, we do go to the beach a lot and other fun things. otherwise we have all the same issues that you on the mainland do! plus more bugs.
so sorry you had to do some supplementing. you are doing a great job mama and don't you forget it!!!

Andy- woo hoo, single motherhood is over for you!!! and dh is so industrious- i love the swing, lol. and it took me looking at your pics to figure out what the tramp was! I kept thinking, they bought her a TRAMP???? wtf!

baby is needing my attention- bye for now
#186 of 497 Old 04-11-2005, 03:28 PM

Hey Ladies,

Andy and Malama - Congrats on the return of your husbands. It's cool for them to get away for a couple of days, but sure nice when they return.

Malama - The vacation sounds wonderful. At the very least, you got to spend good quality time with your dad. The kids sound like they had a wonderful time.

Lisa - How wonderful that she rolled! Once they get mobile, they are so much happier. And watch out! Now it's time to start kid-proofing the house. Doesn't matter how much you do it though, they always find something to get into.

Jess - I agree on the work thing. Although, I get to take Will with me, so it is a bit different. I do like the whole talking to other adults thing. Makes the day go by faster.

As for us, I thought that we were doing well. Turns out that we have the sickies too. Emily has an ear infection to beat infections. She got tubes at 14 months, and the one in her right ear is still there. Turns out it is clogged and the whole ear is infected pretty bad. Might be a cause of her crabbiness and aggression. She is also being tested tomorrow for blood glucose. They suspect she might have Type 1 diabetes. Seems like it never ends around here. I would love to have a healthy house for once.

On top of that, I lost the keys to the car. We only have 1 master key left, and it costs something like $90 bucks to replace the darn thing. I have no choice but do it, just getting a new key cut at the local hardware store won't work. There is a computer chip in the key, so we have to have the dealer do it. Ugh. Sometimes, doesn't it feel like you are just bleeding money?

Well, Will is fussing. Better go.
#187 of 497 Old 04-11-2005, 03:42 PM

Happy Monday mamas!

It's weird to be happy to see Monday come around. Weekends just seem to suck anymore, and this weekend was really rotten. My mom didn't show on Friday, I was overwhelmed with stuff to catch up on, Mike's been in total jerkface mode. We did make it to the SCA event Saturday that I wanted to go to, and lots of people wanted to hold her and I got a break, but I still ended up crying in the bathroom at one point. Then we had to pick someone up from the airport Sat night, and there was a lot of getting lost involved in that, and there was nowhere to stop on the PA turnpike and Mike didn't want to get off an exit and I finally started screaming that he had to stop when she started purple-face silent screaming, and he pulled over on the shoulder. She was soaked, and poopy all the way up her shirt. It was just awful. And then him and the friend we picked up were both treating me like I was an hysterical pain in the ass for insisting that the baby needed to be changed. It was HOURS since we'd last stopped, and another hour after that before we got to a service plaza!

She was tired and cranky Sunday, but we had to go out to brunch and then to the IL's. She did not want to nurse all day, I was ready to explode, and she wasn't peeing anywhere near as often as usual, and everyone kept telling me "she'll eat when she's hungry, she's fine" Um, no. She IS hungry, and she's just not happy with trying to eat outside in a strange place with dogs barking and licking her feet and the wind blowing across her head. She nursed better in the living room, with the other dog annoying us but I still think she didn't eat enough yesterday. She's been going like a fiend today.

Mike and his father polished off 18 beers together. and acted like idiots. And of course both of them wanted to hold her when they could barely stand up. And my MIL insisted that FIL should hold her to keep him from horsing around with the BIL (15). Um, NO. He'll just horse around WITH the baby. I don't understand how all 4 of her kids survived infancy. But I took her back and fed her and she went to sleep on me, so she went in the sling.

At least I got to make Mike sleep on the couch because he was wasted. Yay cosleeping, I can be a nagging wife. I'd rather cuddle with my poor traumatised baby by myself anyway.
#188 of 497 Old 04-11-2005, 04:18 PM

Oh Paq, what an awful weekend! Horrible of DH and friend to complain about stopping for a diaper change. Stick poop down their backs and see if they want to ride in the car for an hour. How can he listen to her screaming and not want to stop? I can't imagine!
Is Bea better today? Sad that she was so distracted yesterday and couldn't eat. That sounds awful all around.

Nicole, I hear that the way to get around the keys is to make hardware-store copies, then take the one real key and tape it under the steering column. Then the computer chip is always close enough, and the hardware-store keys will work. Of course, that defeasts the security mechanism, but what good is a car that's difficult to steal if you can't drive it yourself? I'm just not as paranoid as some people.

Lisa, congrats on the rolling! It is pretty nice that right now the baby stays where we put her, but advancement is good too.

Miss Evelyn slept through the night last night, 10 pm - 7 am. Then she woke up happy, not even crying for food. Whoa. 'Course she went to town as soon as I offered the food. She never turns down a munch. Now, if only I could sleep through the night with her! Got up at 5 am after changing her diaper and pumped. Ooooh the engorgement hurt.

Karen, sounds like you had a blast! Happy reunion with DH for you.
#189 of 497 Old 04-11-2005, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Ugh Jeni and Nicole, rough times!

I just have to say I really like our pedi. I talked to her about delay/novax when Lauren was born, and she was a good doc and gave us the "why you should vax" speech and left us alone. Today she did all the well baby stuff and we talked about reflux some more, and then she said "you guys aren't vaxing, right?" and left it at that. She also asked Lauren if she was going to grow up to be a deadhead - she had on her tie-dye fitted dipe and the pedi told us that she'd never seen one before, not even on the deadheads who bring their kids in. :LOL

I'm waiting on the dog to finish her business in our yard (she actually prefers the lady upstairs flower garden) and then back to nursing babe, she's talking to herself and the sunbeams on the bed. Dh went to school tonight, so it's just us girls at home.

And yes, rolling is exciting, but I dread when she goes from back to front, because then I'll have to do something about the bed. We have a really tall bed, and I suspect we'll be putting the mattress on the floor sooner than we think. My friend safety pins her kid to the bed when she naps - the theory being that the pin isn't a big safety risk or restraint, and she gets to babe before babe gets fussy about being stuck in one spot. I suppose that works, but I'd likely forget to pin the sheet as well as the outfit, and end up with baby rolling all over.

Gotta go, dog barking at the door, baby fussing in the bed... and dinner getting cold on the stove.

Lisa

#190 of 497 Old 04-11-2005, 07:30 PM

Wow this thread moves fast! I don't think I'll ever be able to keep up!

Things are ok here. Dh got laid off, but he has a couple of companies that want to interview him. One in LA that sounds pretty serious. I don't want to move to LA. It's kind of hard to have him at home. The girls and I were in our routine and to be honest I was having a lot of fun. But for my poor dh who was go-go-go we must move at snail's pace.

Isabelle is awesome. She is very mild tempered, although it seems like she could eat for forever some days. She is all rolly-polly, smiley, big belly and cheeks. I just love it.

Ruby is still adjusting a bit. She loves her little sister but is definitely jealous. Isabelle takes the lumps and bumps like a pro (we have a rule about no touching faces, though to prevent head injuries ).

Jessi-tell me about going back to work...are you working fulltime? how often do you have to pump during the day? I think I'm going to have to go fulltime at this point since dh doesn't have a job, but I was working from home before so I plan on working from home atleast 1/3 of the time. That way I won't have to pump as much.

Karen your vacation sounds awesome...

SO are any of you vaxing at all? Does anyone have a good website to look at? We just saw our FP and I do really like her although she really would like us to start vaxing now instead of later...I just don't fell likeI'm informed enought ot make the decision one way or the other.
#191 of 497 Old 04-11-2005, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Jess, I don't have a website for you, but there are a few good books to read - try "vaccinations: a thoughtful parents guide" by aviva jill romm, "the vaccine guide" by randall neudsteder? and stephanie cave has a book too but I can't remember the title.

The first two set out what a vax is for, what the risks are, etc. and are both leaning toward nonvax or selective vax. The cave book comes off as a little more towards vax, like she's trying to please the pharma folks.

Ugh I thought Lauren was sleeping, guess I was wrong. I was looking foward to dinner on the porch in the cool sun. Maybe tomorrow.

Lisa

#192 of 497 Old 04-11-2005, 09:16 PM

Hi mamas. my man is back and I'm . He brought me back lotsa presents and best of all, himself. He's sleeping away now.

Nicole- sounds like you need some super healing vibes at your house!!! With Will recovering, the last thing you need is more illness, and Emily being sick too? ugh. Mama, you deserve some health!

Paq- sounds like the weekend from hell. good for you for sticking up for your babe. and I hope that you never have a repeat of that again!

Jessica- woo hoo on the sleep! that's a long time for a baby to sleep- but I guess Evy has some reserves to keep her good overnight, lol! let's hope this is her sleeping trend (and we can all feel jealous of you!)

Lisa- I can honestly say that I have NEVER heard of anyone pinning their babies to the bed. It's an "interesting" solution to rolling over.... most people just put the mattress on the floor... wow. nect thing you know they'll be making a set of baby pj's with velcro that attaches to sheets, lol!

Jess- re: vaxxing. If you're not sure right now, there should be no problem with delaying them- esp if you're home with babe (i.e. not in daycare). if/when you go back to work, if you're leaning toward vaxxing, then you could at least wait until then. and if you tell your fp that you're gonna delay them, it's not like a NO that she might have to argue with you over.

my baby is sleeping, my dh is sleeping and why on earth am I not taking a nap???? what is my problem????
#193 of 497 Old 04-11-2005, 10:21 PM

Hi mamas! Still here, still sick, but we had a good day nonetheless. Only one short crying spell in the car at the very tail end of errands (dropping off the tax forms - nothing was going to prevent me from doing THAT! That, there, is our tix to Hawaii (after investment), even crying baby). We nursed a lot last night and today, and my milk is back up. Now after only 1.5 hrs. I'm feeling full again, which is a big switch from a couple of days ago, when I just felt (but didn't look) flat all the time.

Nicole - HUUUUUGS mama! I can't believe you have more sickness! I hope her ears are ok soon, no surgery to fix tubes, etc. My little brother had em in twice, because I think they fell out or something, but anyway, he was a champ about it, and got to go to Barbados with my parents (while older brother and I went to YMCA camp - huh?). All things work out eventually. Healing vibes to you all!

Jeni - OMG! That's awful. I woulda slung that baby and gone for a LOOOONG walk right outta there. Give yourself a LOT of credit for sticking it out and not making enemies of your family. I'm SO mamatiger about my babies, it pisses off a lot of people (my parents, especially :LOL ). But my babies do NOT get handled by smoking people : , they do NOT get handled by drunks : , they do NOT get left in carseats in their own feces for hours . I am SO glad you guys are sticking up for your kiddies!!! YEA for the babywatchers of the world!!!

I think I take it kinda personally because my mother was a hard core smoker, I'm sure I can remember the smell of smoke from inside my playpen where I was stuck ad nauseum day after day. Our house keeper (if you can call her that) was a drunk, nice, but a drunk, and once she left me in the park (in my stroller, I was less than 1 yr. old). I finally potty trained on a car trip to the Cape because I couldn't STAND sitting in my wet dirty diapers any more and my Dad said he wasn't stopping the car for diaper changes. Bad memories, maybe, or maybe some of it was just passed on as memories from other people, I can't distinguish now, but these stories are def. touching some sensitive buttons for me (shiver smilie). You done GOOD mama, keeping your baby protected from the worst of the day. Whew!

Karen - Well, you survived the awful crazy hotel (with a splash of fun!), had a good time with your fam., it sounds like, and NOW you get dh too! Woo hoo!!! I got your beauuuutiful mei tai two days ago and we're using it like crazy! Dh doesn't like it to wear on himself, but he likes it on me, and I am LOOOVING it! I am still too scared to put him on my back, but soon. His head control is good these days, but he doesn't seem comfortable wrapping his legs around my waist yet. Too small, him, not me! It really is so SO beautiful, I can't thank you enough!!! Today we walked with him on front for about 40 min., and he was happy as a clam, wide awake, very comfy. YEA!!!

Jess, I don't know what I thought that thing was, like some kind of potion making something I think. I was quite intrigued! Figures Lisa just pluges the sucker into some magical translation source and figures it all out. It IS kinda cool, whatever it is that it does...hmmm.

Az honey, OUCH!!! That SUCKS about you and dh. I know it seems like a big major thing between you (and we haven't heard that you did work it out, so maybe it is still a problem), but really it's only one of the many parts of you as a couple. BIG, MAJOR, yes, but not the only reason you got together, or will stay together. I don't know why men have such a hard time with kids... their own or other people's, but I think it's a selfish thing. They are, not all, but a lot are just big kids, and don't want to have to be a grown up any more than they absolutely have to. When kids come along, they really make them be a grownup more than they might want to, or something. Anyway, I would NEVER excuse his behaviour, he was completely over the line. And ex-h is too, imo. Good luck hon. Just remember that you are doing what you are doing for your kids, not for you. You won't have to fight it out if you go in knowing you are RIGHT and just stick to the line. It won't happen at once, but eventually he'll see that you are not wavering on the needs of the children. Then DUH it'll just be fine again. I hope! And anyway, vent vent vent to us about it, but do NOT feel bad, hide, get depressed about doing right by your kids. Every one pp is so right that you are being a GREAT mama sticking up for them and helping your h's to see what the mature approach is to accepting responsibility at their respective levels. Whew. I can't say I envy you that role, but it's yours, so just do your best! That's all you can EVER do, and almost every time it is enough. Go put miss E in that amazing rainbow outfit and snuggle for a while. you DESERVE it!

Hi Jess! I'm really sorry to hear about dh's lay off. It's good that he's finding interest from other companies, but BAD BAD BAD that you may have to leave the golden Rockies!

Lisa - you are a ROCK of stability among us loonies! Thank GOODNESS you still chat with us and keep us sane. Gotta love your little sleep fighter! Ori has been doing this weird thing lately. I put him down around 6:30 - 7 (trying to get it a little later than 5pm, which is just SO uncivilized!). He's asleep when I leave him, then about 20 min. later he's up and crying. So I go back up and nurse nurse nurse and then he's asleep and I leave and then he's up and crying again. Tonight he only did it the once, actually, but a couple times he's done it 2-3 times. Quite annoying. I think it's a trust thing, he's building between him and me. A couple of times I think I've actually slept through a cry or two...or maybe a bit longer : . Once Jerry actually kicked me and I fell out of bed and THEN heard him crying. All because the little fella is just SO sensitive I can't figure out how to sleep with him and actually get any sleep! If I 'm in a bed w/him I can't move at ALL and if I'm not, I'm not hearing the wake up signals that preceed the actual crying. I so want to have him in with us, but he's this major revivalist ( ), so when I try to move him when he's asleep, it's just like he wasn't ever asleep in the first place : , WIDE awake. So I've actually taken the co-sleeper down . If anyone has any suggestions, I'm listening...

Oh yeah, vaxing - we don't vax. BUT I know that the ones that prevent the most serious illnesses (and most likely to be found in the population) are the Hib vaxes (tho I don't see why we need to do them in babies, myself, but once they start school, ok, I can see why then) and Pertussis (tho not likely to kill anybody it is a NASTY disease that causes a LOT of discomfort for the vic and their family). The others are not likely to be in the general population (tho polio is making a small come back in select populations) or the vaxes are not especially effective. Or both. We don't vax because my family has all these auto immune probs and I refuse to even consider initiating an auto immune response that the medical cmty can't control. I shall NOT consider ranting here about it. We go to a fp who does not argue with me, but she plays it by the book and says she told me the spiel when all she ever did is tell me she told me the spiel :LOL

Ok enough of my crap. Sounds like things are crazy all over! Time for me to sleep. Lots of hugs to all the hurting mamas, and healing vibes (minus a few for myself, my head is just POUNDING with sinus and ear infection and a really really super sore throat but def. better today than y-day) for Nicole and whomever else is in need! andy

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
#194 of 497 Old 04-11-2005, 11:30 PM

Good luck for Emily's doc appointment. Diabetes is so much harder for kids.

Pinning babies to the bed - it sounds good, but I'd be worried about them rolling and their clothes not rolling and twisting up on them, kwim? Also if you didn't pin through to the mattress, won't they just roll up in the sheet? Bea squirms until she scoots herself side to side or whereever she wants to go, but she's not big on the rolling. She can do front to back, though.

We're no vax. I think that half of the vaxable diseases aren't even serious and so don't outweigh the risks (like MMR, chicken pox), and the ones that are serious, the vaxes aren't effective for (like pertussis, tetanus). The vaccine forum on here is excellent. There are mostly no vax or delay vax folks there, even though it's not strictly anti-vax the way the circ board is strictly anti-circ. Gitti is an amazing resource in and of herself.

We're good today. It was a nice snuggle/sleep/nurse fest today. Not rashy at all, so it probably wasn't as long as it seemed like it was to me. And Mike's about as close to contrite as he gets. He had her while I was in the shower and when I came out he was distressed and tried to tell me how much it upsets him to hear her cry and how he can't stand it. :

Andy, is Ori in the same room? And you can't always hear him? Are YOU getting enough sleep? Sounds like you might be exhausted! The only thing I can think of is maybe a mattress ont he floor won't transfer motion as much, so you could sleep next to him and maybe he won't feel if you stir? Bea naps lightly, but she's very good at night. I usually wake up to her squirming once or twice and she nurses. She doesn't usually even pee - saves it all for morning.

Yeah, it's going to get hard to keep the peace with his family, I can see this already. I can tell my family everything from "I don't agree with you" to "f' off" without ruining my relationship with them, we're just blunt like that. But I know I'll be clashing with his family on religion, gender roles, food, manners, discipline... blah. The only thing I can be reasonably certain of backing on is homeschooling. And my MIL's kinda crunchy as far as organic/whole foods sometimes, so she might not be too put off if I'm firm about certain things. But I can see them pushing her toward being a girly girl and all that. I lived with them when SIL was 12 and I don't think they have very healthy girl-raising skills. She was telling me at Christmas time that she's just getting to the point where she can stand her father (she's almost 19 now).

Time to take my sleepy girl to bed, I think. She's slept off-and-on all day! Lots of catching up. With my luck she'll be wakey and wanting to play at 3 a.m. :LOL
#195 of 497 Old 04-12-2005, 04:03 AM

Andy- I'm so glad you like the mei tai and that it's working for you!!! I feel like I should make myself another one. The first one I made for myself is a far cry from what I made you (smaller baby thing and thinner, and unpadded straps). maybe I'll get to it one of these days....
I'm trying to figure out what your bed situation is now.... Ori in the other room? My suggestion would be to put another bed in your room (space permitting). If you can't share a bed with him, you can still be in the next bed over and respond quickly to his waking up signals, instead of waiting for a full-on cry. While dh was gone, Luka slept really well on the far side of the bed. we'll see how tonight goes with the 3 of us. I think back to when I had ds1- we had a full sized waterbed (I didn't know that you shouldn't really have babies in a waterbed). How on earth did we fit? we have a king now, and it's great for the 2 of us. add in kids and things get snug.

oh, BTW< if Heidi is reading. Having baby out in teh sun was hard. We tried to stay in the shade as much as possible, but Luka got some sun and pink cheeks and arms just from walking around to try and get him to sleep. After that happened I kept him in the long sleeved rash guard I bought him (which wasn't too hot at all) and a hat- but it was hard- esp the hat. If you could get some huge sun shade and hang out under that for your camping trip, you might be better off- but really, a small amout of time int eh mid-day sun can be brutal for a little one. I was saddedned to see how pink Luka got in such a short time.
#196 of 497 Old 04-12-2005, 09:18 AM

Hi Karen - I do HIGHLY recommend the KA Mei Teis. She does WONDERFUL work! There is a LOT of love in every one of her carriers! Very snug and cozy for babies, very comfy for mommys.

Ok, sleeping arrangements at our house are typically Ori is in the big bed in his room. Either I sleep on the floor there (on a sheepskin) or in the guest bed across the hall (which is ok, but a single bed, so no dh never no how no way), or in our bed, down and across the hall. If I co sleep, I really do not sleep. With dd I would wake up a lot, but SHE didn't wake up, so I would fall right back asleep. With Ori, I wake up a lot, but so does he, so we just keep waking each other up; either he doesn't want food and just wants to be UP (which sucks big time) or he wants to feed (again, meaning he could've just fed within the last 20 min. for as much as 45 min), which usually leads to more puking :Puke followed by wiping and trying to put a diaper over the wet spot (btdt?) and then he's MORE awake, so he feeds more (repeat cycle) or, worse, he doesn't want to feed . The first few weeks it was ok, I expected it, but now in month three, I need to start getting a little bit of consistent sleep. I can honestly say I don't think I've had more than three or maybe four hours of uninterrupted sleep in weeks. People reading my posts probably have a better sense of that, as I might actually brag about a four hour stretch... did I do that recently??? : I'm not sure if I expect dh to DO something to help (ie: take babe in the am so I can get 4-5 hrs. sleep) and this isn't happening (which it isn't) or if I don't expect him to help, and it's just par for the course for my babies to need a lot of nursing during the night and for me to resist and need sleep...

So, yeah, I'm exhausted, but I can't ignore the little fella . I like the idea of having a second bed in the room, but there isn't really any space for it. I'm thinking like a little futon that I could drop down onto, feed him, and then climb back onto my bed when he's back to sleep. That makes sense to me... I will think about how to make that kind of thing happen. Does anyone think it might trigger (or make worse) a dust allergy? Ori is already a pretty snuffly fella, I don't want to make it worse! We do need to get an air conditioner (or purifier) in that room, but they're expensive, and we haven't made it a priority yet.

Karen - how long are your Dad and brother in town for? How WONDERFUL to have someone who can come in and really REALLY help with the baby. Oh, I can dream... everyone in my family just shake rattley things in his face or watch him cry and say "my isn't he a strong little fella!" Jeeezus...

Lisa - I put Ori on the floor today to see what would happen. He just lay there like a little lump (cute, but lumpy ) and then started crying. Guess not! He's way slower at developing then dd was. By 3 mos she was rolling both ways (I mean left and right, not f-b and b-f) and grabbing her toys and stuff. He's just NOT that interested. On sunday, however, he sat with Dad for nearly 2 hrs. and QUIETLY watched the Golf Masters. Uh oh. :LOL

That's GREAT that Lauren is rolling! I used lots of pillows on the bed with dd (who was a big time roller!). The long body pillows worked the best. Those and towels rolled up with a tail left out and a pillow on that so the baby couldn't move them. Dh can't sleep on the floor (dust), so putting the bed on the floor wasn't an option. Ok, baby cries, Caio mamas!

#197 of 497 Old 04-12-2005, 09:50 AM

Good morning ladies. Thanks for all the healing vibes. THings are starting to get back to normal here, but I agree with you, I would love to have just plain old healthy for once. Em is taking her antibiotics like a trooper. This morning is going to be rough because she can't eat until after the blood test.

Who was it that was going to make nursing necklaces? I am going to pick up some beads and can sen you some if you would like. Andy, was it you?

I finally got another pouch sling from the same lady who sold me the shrinking one. It did shrink like 2 inches all over, when i compared them. So now, we are more comfy. I am truely jealous of those who can wear the mei tai's. I wish we could, but Will really seems to prefer the pouch.

We are doing okay on sleep. Will is probably going to transition to his crib this weekend. He does okay with me in our bed for a while, but then he starts kicking and he wakes us up as well as himself. He has been in the bassinett next to the bed, but it is getting way to small. He kicks one end and hits his head on the other. Last night we did 2 3 hour stretches. It would have been longer if we had gone to bed earlier.

Jess - I tried taping the master key to the steering column and using just a standard key. It didn't work. I am so bummed that I have to go and spend the money to get it done. Oh well. You know what is going to happen, right? I am going to get the new keys made and when I come home tonight, I am going to find my other keys. Always happens that way.

Well chat with you all later.
#198 of 497 Old 04-12-2005, 10:06 AM

Good luck at the doctors today Nicole!!! : I really hope she's ok! And then NO MORE DOCTORS for a few months for ya'll! Is Will's crib in his room or yours? If I didn't have to MOVE him, I'd put the crib in our room, but he's just such a light sleeper and such a revivalist (my own little Lazarus, this one!)...big sigh. Good luck Emily!!! Be a trooper for mama! xxx andy

#199 of 497 Old 04-12-2005, 10:09 AM

Rolling over, Miss E has gone from belly to front or front to belly, I can't remeber which : a couple of times on the bed and from front to side. We don't put her on her tummy too much, or down for that matter.

Karen and Andy Yeah!! on dh's being back

Nicole hopefully your medical problems will end soon.

paquerette, yuck about the car ride and in-laws. I think in-laws are the biggest problems of dh's. You just never know how to deal with them, or at least I don't

Jessi on Evelyn's good sleep.

I see a lot of talk about fp for baby docs instead of peds. Can anyone fill me in why this is? We're looking for a new dr for Miss E.

I talked to dh last night about ds. He doesn't know what I was talking about DH was talking about what a great kid he is, and how we have such a nice family, and that Christopher has been hanging out on the couch with him. Then I asked dh if he loved him. He kinda gave me this confused look like "haven't you been listening to me" and was like "yeah..." all confused sounding. I told him that he's never said so, he looked confused at that too. I aked him about the "if he wasn't on his meds" comments and he meant that the wildness would have frightened him off in the very begining. Which I can understand, there were times where I didn't even want to live with ds.
So things are good with dh. On ds's dad wanting to take him more, we've decided that we'll take it slow. DS's dad could be a really good father, but he just reminds me of those women who are always with the wrong guy. You know the type that let the guy come in and pretty much run their life and their kids and then the loser guy leaves and life is over until the next loser comes around. Yeah that's ds's dad.
Andy dh has never blamed any problem on ds. With his parents adopting all those problem babies (born drug addicted, parents too mentally unstable to care for the child, one brother with fetal alchol syndrom) dh understands about the illness making people "bad" He has a brother and sister with bi-polar so he understands a lot about it, more than most people would.

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#200 of 497 Old 04-12-2005, 10:13 AM

Oh I got an awesome smile picture yesterday take a look

#201 of 497 Old 04-12-2005, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Cute pic Az!

Andy, Lauren is a lot like Ori in the sleep movement thing - if I change her attitude/altitude/direction one bit her eyes come popping open. Right now she's sleeping - this is what I need a picture of - her head on my right arm, both my hands on the keyboard, her body across the front of the laptop. She's ok sleeping now but if I try to put her down, watch out!

Check out kozycarrier.com for the "baby back carry" in their instructions - she's got a 3 wk old on her back in the pic. I'm so excited, my mai tai that I ordered from the wahm craft show thingy we had here is in the mail now. Whee!

Andy, sleeping, what we do is keep her in bed, but she gets my spot and I have to slide over and share the other 1/2 of the bed with dh. She wakes me if we're touching, and I wake her if she's snuggled close. What about sidecarring the crib to your bed? Then you could slide over to the crib to nurse and slide away? Or put that twin mattress on the floor in his room so you at least have a decent place to sleep!!

Had this crazy dream last night about being preg again, and how I'd have to get a pump right away and pump like mad (get my supply up to twin level) so I could freeze enough milk to get Lauren through w/o formula. And then somehow we were driving along and my grandmother was driving but refused to ever come to a complete stop in the car... very strange.

I know I had more to respond to, but my mamabrain is just not retaining anything these days.

Rolling: well I rarely put Lauren down and she never goes on her belly, but it was just one of those things yesterday, she was being all cute and didn't want to nurse and I wasn't ready to get out of bed yet, so I rolled her over on her belly toward dh and she sat there for a minute and then rolled over herself. I think the bed might have helped, it's not exactly a flat surface.

FP vs Pedi. Well for us it might just be easier to go to a fp. That way I can just take everyone (ok me and babe) to one place when we're sick. The only advantage to a pedi is that they are specialists in kids, but they really don't have a clue about bf, nonvax, natural healing, etc. (imho). The fp folks seem to be a little more casual about those things, as well as willing to give you a prescription and then let you do your own thing first. Maybe because they deal with adults all the time who don't follow medical advice? And the thing I just don't like about the pedi is that her office is attached to a hospital so we have to pay to park! My grandfather was a fp, and he was generally good at all things medical but would always refer out to a specialist or a pedi if he didn't know the answers.

I washed 3 loads of dipes yesterday. I think we used up every dipe in the house before I got around to washing. Yuck.

I swear my dh is really a 12 yr old with adhd. He and the dog are running around the house like kids, and they ran through my sorted clothes and now my piles are all over the place. Just when I thought I was getting some control on the situation!! And I realized that we really have no clothes for Lauren. She's filling out 3-6 really well right now, and we have enough sleepers for her, and some cute hot weather stuff, but not a whole lot for right now, no shirts and pants. And not a lot of 6-9 either, I guess I need to stop at the resale shop or make some loud hints at my mom and mil. Ok so dh is actually a 30 yr old with adhd.

Tomorrow is going to be interesting, my best friend (the one I'm converting from mainstream to mdc) has a "meet the midwife" appt with my midwife. The catch is that the appt is at 1 and she babysits her niece all day, so I'm going to go to the appt and watch her kid, the niece, and my kid for an hour so she and her dh can talk to the midwife. Just imagine, me, Lauren in a sling, and a twin stroller with a big 9 month old and very petite 15 month old. The girls look like twins, they are almost the same size. I'm sure I'll get some stares walking around the hospital with what looks like 3 babies under 14 mos.

Back later, need to do something besides the computer.

Lisa

#202 of 497 Old 04-12-2005, 12:22 PM

Karen: I think we got a little too much sun Sunday, too. Pink peely cheeks now. I can't keep any of her hats on her head, but I think I might make a Little House on the Prairie type sunbonnet. Hopefully something that ties on will stay better. That was another thing about my ILs - early in the afternoon, FIL was holding her on his shoulder and totally ignoring the fact that the sun was right in her face, she was squinting and pulling her head back to try to get away from it, so I stood behind her to block the sun (so now I imagine I'm a hyper hovering mama). And then a few hours later I was inside trying to recover from a minor meltdown, and MIL took her outside and Dh was inside with me, but I made him go out and point out to his mother that the baby's head was right in the sun again. But overall we were outside a lot and she's only a little pink, so not too bad.

Andy: well, for the puking, can he sleep with a dipe under his head? I always have one of the really thick Gerber pf's under Bea's head and just change as necessary. Better than changing the sheets. I should have put one under the other end last night/this morning, too. :LOL She was up 4 times to nurse, and held all the pee for after Mike left. I couldn't keep up!

Az: Glad things are getting better for you guys, too. Maybe there was some crazy astrological thing going on this weekend? And the pic is ADORABLE!

Oh, speaking of astrology, there's a site where you can do a free profile, so I did Bea's. It's kinda worrisome - she's going to be a force to be reckoned with according to it!
http://www.alabe.com/freechart/

Lisa: Have fun with all those babies! :LOL

Maybe we could add the babies' birthdays to the list on the front page and organize them chronologically? I know almost everyone is older than her anyway. But sometimes I'm curious how everyone compares, kwim?
#203 of 497 Old 04-12-2005, 12:52 PM

Az, what a darling smile! Very cute baby. Cute soaker shorts, too. Very good that things with DH are happy again.

Andy, your bed solution: The tempur-pedic is good about not transferring movement if you're not right next to the other person. Plus yours is split into two, right? So, kick DH out to one of the other beds, and you and Ori each get half of the king. Then when he's asleep you just roll to your half. Have you tried that yet?
ETA: I just remembered that Ori doesn't like the new bed - so put his cosleeper mattress on top of it, on his side, maybe.

Lisa, crazy dream! It goes along with your 3-under-15 mo day today.
I had a dream that I had to pretend Evelyn had died, but really she had just gone into hiding. And for some reason Luka had to go live with Andy for a while, but that was a secret too, and it was all a big conspiracy that made sense in the dream.

Nicole, bummer about the key. If you do wind up with three keys, it is always good to have an extra.

Miss Evelyn slept seven hours today, and so did I, yay! Then she was up from 4:44 - 5:44, but that was okay. After seven hours of contiguous sleep, I was ready to play too.
#204 of 497 Old 04-12-2005, 01:49 PM

My baby is 12 weeks old today!!! woo hoo! no more 4th trimester- we have a real baby now!
He's changing so much too- giggling all the time, napping a little less and he's finally noticing some toys and things. They hang on the little chair he has and they're keeping his attention for a bit.
He's caught a little cold- probably what I had at the end of the week. He doesn't seem bothered by it but was making a lot of noise last night and had a little trouble nursing. But now he's in super happy spirits.

Andy- I agree you need 2 beds in one room, or something small in your room that you can put Ori in. I know you'll find a solution- smart mama!
to answer your question, dad and bro left yesterday. it was a short trip. truly if we lived near my parents they'd be a HUGE help. it's sorta sad to think of it that way. at the same time my kids would be uber spoiled and would watch way more tv than I'm comfy with, so i guess that's the trade-off. We will be seeing them in June, when we embark on a huge and complicated journey.

Az- I'm so glad you and dh talked it out. Sounds like he really likes ds! so you'll keep him, eh? Miss E looks gorgeous... what a smile!

Jeni- I already got Luka's chart from the same place. Our music teacher was here and insisted I get it- then proceeded to tell me that Luka would be athletic. Now she tells me everytime she sees him about his athleticism.... ftr, we are very NON athletic- well we swim and stuff and we're active, but not really athletic. but whatever! I'm sure we could put bdays- but it would have to be the person who started the thread, right?? Luka is only a few days older than Bea- born 1/25

Crazy dreams Lisa and Jessica! I don't think we should have any of them come true. OK?

OK, enough time in the chair. Toys are not all that exciting anymore!
#205 of 497 Old 04-12-2005, 02:27 PM

Oh my...seven hours... how big is Eve now? all the wives tales say bigger babies sleep longer at night. maybe that is true?! Az - are you getting any sleep???

I am considering buying a mattress topper (memory foam) from overstock.com, which sell them 2"for $80 or 3" for $129. Either way, I can get a twin and use it in the guest bedoom after he's done (which may be YEARS), or whatever. It's a softer foam than ours, which I admit is pretty dense foam. We love it, but I can see a kid not loving it. Dd just loves the fact that the beds can move, I think. Anyway, 2 or 3" is plenty to just put on the floor and sleep ok, esp. for him. It would probably be here next week, but hey - I've gone this long, right!? You'da thunk that having gone through this once before I'd have a CLUE what I am doing, but this baby is SO different from Beca, it's really amazing. There are, of course, a few similarities, but mostly they are very different.

Az - I LOVE the pic of E. She is so beautiful! Our fp is a DO and sort of clued in to the alt. med thing. one of the very few in this doctor rich thinking poor place. We grabbed on with both hands and will NOT let go. :-)

Lisa - there is a clothing swap among the babysitting coop people here, I'll keep my eyes open for your needs, but I don't know exactly when it'll be...soon I think.

Baby is crying, but it was me offering the nursing necklaces. The beads have to have BIG holes to fit on the silk thread. The thread needs to be big so little fingers don't tangle. Ok, gotta run! Andy

#206 of 497 Old 04-12-2005, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Jeni, I like the idea, next time we list mamas, babes, birthdates, on the opening page.

So Lauren took a nap and I went out and acted like a carefree adult for 2 hrs. Went to the grocery and spent more $$ than I should have, and then to evil babies-r-us and spent more $$ - except I was returning the extra car seat base we never used and spent that and just a little of my own $ instead. Got some cute summer stuff. I really need to not go there and just hit the resale shop instead.

And finished my baby free time with some fast food. Haven't had junk like that in a long time. It was sooooo good and yet icky. I really want some fruit. Ok what I REALLY want is a little house boy to make me a big bowl of fruit salad and bring it to me.

Dh took damp dipes out of the dryer. Grrr, why the man can't feel that they are wet and put them back in is beyond me. So now my overzealous laundry project is behind 1/2 a load, which is just annoying because I know I'll go to bed tonight with wet clothing in a basket waiting to be dried.

Ok I need some new food ideas. Anyone wanna throw something new to try my way? We have a ton of pork and chicken in the freezer to use, and the same boring recipes over and over again.

-L

#207 of 497 Old 04-12-2005, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa2976
Ok I need some new food ideas. Anyone wanna throw something new to try my way? We have a ton of pork and chicken in the freezer to use, and the same boring recipes over and over again.
For the pork: There was a medieval soup that I did for an event once (one of my SCA interests is food) with cubed pork, ginger, pepper, salt, pine nuts, and currants cooked in red wine and stock (I boiled the bones to make stock, but I've heard canned chicken or beef broth works well). Throw in a splash of apple cider vinegar before serving. I've also done a variation on that where I'll roast pork loin with the spices and wine and currants and pine nuts. It gets a little weird if you put the vinegar in too soon, has to be right as you're serving it, so I usually leave it out of the roast.

For chicken: for bone-in pieces, put them in a roaster and cover them with cinnamon and butter (are you guys totally no-dairy? Might be good without the butter, just keep it covered so it doesn't dry out). For boneless pieces, cut them up, bread them and bake them and make your own chicken tenders. I like to do a big batch of them and have them in the fridge to snack on.
#208 of 497 Old 04-12-2005, 05:04 PM

We made ground lamb curry last night, yummmmm. With chicken I like to use flat noodles, lots of veggies and tamari or tamari ginger sauce. Also yummmmm. Tonight it's leftovers, as dance doesn't end till 6. ugh. Um...Pork chops I use onion soup mix and saute with onion and garlic and right at the end add in frozen peas, corn, fresh cut up small carrots, etc. Lots of water at the end, let it simmer down, and VOILA! yummy food! That one takes a little longer, maybe 30 min.

Will you share your houseboy? I need someone to clean up after this dd of mine. What a slob! Oh, and I am too. A slob. Very messy... books everywhere, laundry in various stages of doneness, it's all a mess. Ugh. I did split the diaper laundry into twice as often half as much because it was so heavy for me to do by myself. Double ugh. Oop, baby's up and wailing. bye!

#209 of 497 Old 04-12-2005, 05:33 PM

Andy, my DH was reading through our posts the other day, and he was highly confused by your mooning picture representing your DH. He thought you were saying he was an a-hole, I think. Why did you choose that smilie? And what does the line at the end mean? And how long do you think it'll be before one of the moderators gets on your case about the three-line sig?

Quote:
how big is Eve now? all the wives tales say bigger babies sleep longer at night.
She is a whopper, about 16 lb. Probably it is true, as a general trend.
#210 of 497 Old 04-12-2005, 08:00 PM

WOW! I only get online every few days, and, well, what a chatty bunch.

Hey catnip, a while ago you offered to share with me your blessing ritual. I'm having trouble getting inspired for Geneva's so I'd like to take you up on the offer.

Things are pretty good here, though we tried again to get G to take a bottle of ebm and she refused. I think I might try the avent nipples, as the ones with these glass bottles are narrower and less like my breasts.

About vaxes: I recommend reading this:
http://www.mercola.com/2001/aug/18/vaccine_myths.htm

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page