Feb. '05 Mamas - The April Thread (a.k.a. months 2-3) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 346 Old 04-05-2005, 02:42 PM
tug

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
kitty - i've cried three times this morning already - once when i couldn't fit into one of my sz 16 pants, once when i discovered i'd really screwed something up at work, and once when dh told me he has to defrost another milk b/c mia's eaten up everything i left for today. maybe still hormones? maybe cumulative exhaustion? or maybe ppd like you said. i'm still a little sad about dh's surgery so we will never have more kids...silly me. i can barely handle these two!

so, i've been comforting myself by buying girly clothes used on ebay for mia. i love zutano stuff. and sweet potatoes.
#62 of 346 Old 04-05-2005, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon0218
And Now Shannon....You will be Voted OFF AP island!
:LOL

tug - I wish I had some pp - I think buying some yummy zutano clothes has got to help!

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#63 of 346 Old 04-05-2005, 04:51 PM

Hey everyone, can you send good thoughts my way? My 65 year-old dad is in the hospital after an allergic reaction to some medication he took. Looks like he'll be okay, but his hands, feet, and mouth are terribly swollen and may shed their skin. His mouth is super painful and he's having trouble eating.
#64 of 346 Old 04-05-2005, 05:07 PM

Louslie: I'll keep your dad in my prayers. Make sure you keep us up to date.

Take care! Gotta go
#65 of 346 Old 04-05-2005, 05:07 PM

Hello all. Man I'm WAY behind!!!! :LOL

Let's see. Autumn was at 95th percentile in both weight and height at 5 weeks old. Her next checkup is on the 18th and she'll be 2 months old then.

We have used both Tricia's sling and the Bjorn. Right now I'm using the Bjorn more because I can't figure out how to keep her feet from getting squashed when I'm slinging her chest to chest instead of laying sideways or even upright. She does love being slinged though

I'm absolutely addicted to cloth diapers! I've even become one of "those" hyenas on the diapering forum. I seriously can't get enough and if I don't stop soon my hubby is going to throw me out in the streets : Autumn is still wearing smalls of all diapers. I don't think it will be long before she goes to a medium though.

Ok gotta run...be back later
#66 of 346 Old 04-05-2005, 05:23 PM

Oh wow Leslie, I'll definitely keep your dad in my thoughts!! Is he at the hospital he practices at?? At least that should guarentee excellent care

So I have spent the day thinking about whether or not I'm depressed (does spending the day considering it all not count as a sign that you are depressed??) I've decided I am slightly depressed, I also realized I stopped taking my meds for my ADD (like 3 days after I started them) While I really don't need the stimulant unless I'm actually working at something that requires my concentration (perhaps motherhood should require my concentration--who knows??) but I really should be using the wellbutrin for it's anti-depressive effects (it also has a mild stimulant) So, I've decided I need to get back on that bandwagon and I also need to get back to the weight loss attempts. One thing I've notice this past week is I have no desire to eat an actual meal, I just want to snack--but constantly and of course, I ain't snacking on carrot sticks :LOL

So, I have decided to take things literally one small step at a time. For this week my goal is to take my meds as I'm supposed to and get enough water (as in 8 glasses a day--no diet pepsi doesn't count as water)

Anyone want to join me??
#67 of 346 Old 04-05-2005, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon0218
if I wake and dh is already stirring, I lay there and pretend to be asleep--this is bad and I feel really bad about it, but I almost feel angry when she wakes me at 4:00 am.
And Now Shannon....You will be Voted OFF AP island!
You are lucky my DH wears ear plugs at night so the baby won't wake him up!!!

As far as taking meds and drinking water...I'm right there with you I haven't been doing a good job with either...so yesterday I bought one of those weekly pill boxes(x-large) and filled it up for the rest of the week...so far so good.
#68 of 346 Old 04-05-2005, 05:28 PM

My DH sleeps right through even w/out the earplugs....

Lousli - sending good healing thoughts to your Dad

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#69 of 346 Old 04-05-2005, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My dh usually sleeps thru it, but if he wore earplugs I might sock him!! I know, I am mean.

Shannon~ One small step at a time. That's the best way to do it. I hope you get feeling better. I'm with ya... I HAVE to drink more water. I bet I was lucky to get 2 glasses yesterday... : But I can drink like a half gallon of milk a day. I crave milk soooo bad!

Also to all you feeling weepy or a little ppd

Leslie ~ I'll be thinking of your dad. I hope he is okay.

I've been in pretty good spirits thankfully. Even with massive stress and caos(how ever you spell that ) at my house. I am pretty lucky I guess. I just get annoyed at dh when he comes home from work and rattles off every second of his day without even asking how I am. Now that annoys me... alot!

Life is to be enjoyed...not just endured!
#70 of 346 Old 04-05-2005, 06:24 PM

On your sleeping dh's--keep in mind that my dh is off on parental leave since I'm not eligible to take it--so he doesn not have to get up to work--and the work he's doing for my business takes up roughly 3 hrs a day.
#71 of 346 Old 04-05-2005, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Lesley Thinking of your dad and your family.

Shannon I hope you get back on track soon.

Three4Me - I sling him chest to chest (a.k.a. "kangaroo carry") in my fleece pouch sling (KKAFP). I put him in semi-kneeling, with his legs spread open frog style, and his feet tucked one over the other under his bottom as opposed to flexed like they'd be if he were standing up. This doesn't cut off his circulation at all and is very comfortable for him, and he's 15 1/2 pounds and probably around 25 inches by now!
#72 of 346 Old 04-05-2005, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periwinkle
Three4Me - I sling William chest to chest (a.k.a. "kangaroo carry") in my fleece pouch sling (KKAFP). I put him in semi-kneeling, with his legs spread open frog style, and his feet tucked one over the other under his bottom as opposed to flexed like they'd be if he were standing up. This doesn't cut off his circulation at all and is very comfortable for him, and he's 15 1/2 pounds and probably around 25 inches by now!
Oh that's THAT'S what I've been doing wrong! :doh: Thank you, I shall try that with her feet

Lesley
#73 of 346 Old 04-05-2005, 08:48 PM

Hang in there, Lesley. Hope your dad is ok.

Peri - not sure I get what you mean. I tried putting Marcus in the tummy to tummy position - but the instructions say to feed him butt first...doesn't make sense to me, if his feet lie the way you describe...do you have any photos?

My dh has been sleeping in the guest room, or on a futon in the office, when my mom is here. When he was in our room, the cries wouldn't wake him up, but he would wake up eventually (Marcus is slow eater, and what with the burps and diaper changes...). It's actually less stressful, not having to worry about him. He needs to attend to his business during the day. But I do hope we can all be together again eventually.

Marcus is still on the shield, and bottle. Of course, today he went on the breast for 10 minutes for the mw. He likes to impress the ladies...He's gone on for significant stretches for my sister, for Jane, the LC, and for my mw... - the little stinker! He's 4 weeks today. He's gaining - he's at 8 lbs, 14 oz today, up from 8 lbs 3 1/2oz last week!

Shannon and I had a chat today about the ppd thing...hard to know what's ppd, and what's a reaction to circumstance...I have been feeling pretty discouraged and down, too. Mind you, I guess I haven't cried in a few days...oh brother - it's all relative...

gotta go pump...(big sigh....)
#74 of 346 Old 04-05-2005, 10:24 PM

I only have a minute but I wanted to comment on your post earlier today (or yesterday?) Hevea, about being an ap failure. I believe true ap is following the cues of your baby and providing what he needs -- and you certainly seem to be doing that! I wouldn't worry about the particular ap formula, I think you're doing great. Glad to hear Marcus is spending more time on the breast. ((hugs))

Who asked if anyone was planning on signing with their baby? Tricia?
I'm planning on it and just received a cute little book. Obviously Finn is too little to understand, but daddy and I started signing with him and it does make him smile. It's fun!

Love and hugs to you mamas who are feeling down. And I said it before, but I'll say it again: hats off to you mamas with toddlers. I honesty don't know how you do it.

Shannon mentioned getting serious about weight loss -- me too! I never weighed myself but I'm still 3 sizes away from my regular size. It's been coming off slowly and surely but I'm ready to get it off faster. How's everyone else doing in this department? I'd really like to fit into my clothes this summer.

Lousli -- my thoughts are with your family. Please keep us posted.

And P.S. Shannon -- I'm not exactly ecstatic waking up at 4am either!

computergeek2.gif  Spirit Baby Intuitive (and really cool chick)

#75 of 346 Old 04-05-2005, 10:32 PM

How often do you guys bath your babies?? I just realized it's been over a week since I showered little stinky one.
Should I bath her more often?? Sometimes I get in a bath with her, but mostly I just shower with her and then hand her off to dh when she's destinkified.
#76 of 346 Old 04-05-2005, 10:40 PM

Amelie gets washed up 2-3 times a week. About as often as I do
Basically, when she gets stinky or if I spill too much food on her while I'm eating dinner.
Sometimes it's in the bathroom sink, but usually in the shower with me. I bring her in the bathroom and google at her while I soap and rinse and then I bring her in and get her clean and we get out together.
#77 of 346 Old 04-05-2005, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
excuse the type... nak...
i agree with kate on the ap thing... i don't think you can really say you are only ap if.... i think she was right on by saying following your babies cues.just my 2 cents.
miah gets a bath (usually with me) every 2-3 days or more often if she needs. she loves to bathe with mama tho. mama kinda likes it too...
my sil signs with her baby (now 13 months) and she knows a ton. i was teaching my 6 year old to sign when he was homeschooled and my baby (now 2) caught on so fast. it's amazing how fast they learn. my sil used the videos from signingtimes.com and loved them... just a suggestion. better go put baby girl to bed...take care

Life is to be enjoyed...not just endured!
#78 of 346 Old 04-06-2005, 12:11 AM

Big hugs all around, sounds like lots of you are feeling the ppd. My mw recommends a tincture with motherwort in it....

I'm having a hard time balancing enjoying my time at home with Dominic with the knowledge that those days are numbered - I go back to full time, at the office, work May 3. I'm now pumping with the goal of freezing 2oz per day AND making enough for DH to give Dominic a 2-4oz bottle 3ish times a week. Kind of hard to stay focused on enjoying now when i know it ends soon.
#79 of 346 Old 04-06-2005, 12:34 AM

Hi all... I'm hoping I can join this thread. My dd, Adira, was born 01-13-05 a month early at 4lbs 13oz. She's at about 11lbs now, so she's thriving and doing well... except....

First, a few responses. Dd is way gassy too, and on the every-two-days poop schedule, so I hear you about it weirding you out. To the mama figuring out the ring sling - hang in there. I was really intimidated by my maya wrap, but it really is the most versatile of all the slings I have tried, so it's worth it.

Is anyone else experiencing crazy colic? From 8pm to 11pm, like clockwork, we have a serious fussy period EVERY NIGHT. This has been happening for 3 or more weeks. I haven't lost my patience yet, as dp is fantastic about taking turns so we don't go insane. I had an instructor of an early childhood class tell me to let her CIO, but i just can't do it. I've tried everything but gripe water. Has anyone tried it/had good luck with it?

All you mamas sound pretty amazing. It's great to read all supportive advice you give one another!

Okay, I'll stop rambling now!
#80 of 346 Old 04-06-2005, 01:44 AM

Hi everyone...quick update. FL is still wonderful. I'm a little sad to see how much has changed since the hurricanes. A lot of landmarks have been condemned and torn down, my first apartments were destroyed and huge houses are being built where they were, and there are so many enormous houses sprouting up everywhere. I've realized that my dream of living here when we retire will never come true. My parents bought this house for $125K back in 1999. It's rather large (2400 downstairs/800 upstairs MIL suite), but it needs a lot of updating...still they just had it appraised and it was suggested that they list it for $500K!!! I love my parent's neighborhood and wish I could buy the house down the road (much smaller) but it's $375. It's so sad to see everything change around here. I'm watching the old people die and the normal people move out while the rich people are moving in and taking over. There are too many non-Floridians moving here and they are totally destroying the natural environment here. Live oak, scrub oak, and scrubby palms are what grow here. Now I love me a beautiful live oak, but the rest of the native trees are not pretty. They're swamp survivors and they are ugly and ratty, but I love them because I grew up with that. These people are moving down here, tearing out all the native trees, building huge houses, laying sod, and planting royal palms. They're turning it into their idea of Florida...which is Miami. It just hurts to see this place that I love so much get destroyed. Even the fish are leaving...and that's a bad bad sign.

Anyways, I'm kind of nervous. I'll be going home on the 19th and then DH will be around for a few days until he goes to school. I'm going to be alone with the baby for the next five months with a visit from DH every two weekends or so. I'm so scared I won't be able to cope...I'm just so nervous that I'll totally lose it.

Well I have to run. I'm exhausted and I want to get to sleep...I've stayed up much later than I should have.

Monica - single mama to DS nono02.gifand DD blowkiss.gif

#81 of 346 Old 04-06-2005, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenner
Is anyone else experiencing crazy colic? From 8pm to 11pm, like clockwork, we have a serious fussy period EVERY NIGHT. This has been happening for 3 or more weeks. I haven't lost my patience yet, as dp is fantastic about taking turns so we don't go insane. I had an instructor of an early childhood class tell me to let her CIO, but i just can't do it. I've tried everything but gripe water. Has anyone tried it/had good luck with it?
Yes! It's been going on for about a week or so. I haven't really looked at the clock most evenings when it has started. Tonight lasted a couple hours of non stop crying. She didn't want to nurse, diaper was changed, etc. I remember this phase with Chloe when she was around this age. You just have to remind yourself that they won't cry forever. DH and I trade off holding her during her sadness. I usually sling her while walking around and sometimes that helps.

Today, Chloe fell down in the hallway and when to catch herself and sprained her right wrist. We took her to the clinic and the did x-rays but found no fracture. She has a splint that she will wear until Friday. Dr. said that if it is still hurting when we take it off, to come back. My poor baby

I've had 2 non-productive days and my house is a wreck! DH's best friend is coming in tomorrow night for a week. He's fling in from FL. I'm hoping that I can get it into shape before he arrives.

I better go for now. Take care!

Tricia
#82 of 346 Old 04-06-2005, 01:53 PM

Welcome Jenner! Nice to have new mamas joining.

Did I read before that some of you mamas cleared up a plugged tear duct with breastmilk??? I need to try that if so..

computergeek2.gif  Spirit Baby Intuitive (and really cool chick)

#83 of 346 Old 04-06-2005, 02:22 PM

Welcome, Jenner!

About the AP thing...thanks for the encouragement. I know, and I think the same...I guess it's a matter of resolving my expectations vs reality. I read that's a main cause of ppd. I knew, intellectually, that I would have to go with what works for all of us, but still...emotionally, I still get saddened over some of my hopes not being realized. It's all tied in with my birth experience, too.

The signing thing interests me. A work friend used it and found it helped a lot. Of course, I'm not quite there yet...the next big project to occupy my headspace is vax decisions...the standard ones start at two months of age...can't get stressed over it now...first things first - getting my little man on the breast! Breathe....!!

Monica - sending coping vibes your way! Not that I have any myself to spare... Is there anyone who can come help you out? I know, it's hard. My dh was getting on my case the other day about asking his family for help. But it's so hard to predict what kind of help, and when...By the time I could call anyone, and get them over...groan. My mom is the only person who I can have on call. She comes and stays with us, and if she's needed, she's SOOOO helpful, but otherwise, she just hangs out - goes for walks, watches tv, rests, etc. Like today. Little man seems to be on a growth spurt, awake a lot. There's no way I could have pumped and showered and eaten a thing (or come online!!) if she weren't here...!!

Btw...our family (ILS) is one of those non-Floridians... : But not with a mansion, and in a development that has a nature preserve, and intact mangrove and sea grasses...

gotta go...!
#84 of 346 Old 04-06-2005, 02:56 PM

Hey everyone, welcome Jenner! We have another premie, louslie with Hazel but she actually came in December! My Molly was 3 weeks early due to pre-e. Regarding gripe water, personally I love the stuff!!!! Molly gets one dose in her bottle between 4 and 6 and another in her last bottle before bed (usually around midnight) This has taken care of all nighttime meltdown issues. We weren't sure if perhaps she'd just outgrown that stage so we left it out one night to experiment and sure enough, we had screaming with pulling her little knees up to her chest and a rock hard belly.

So, here's a question for all of you who have babes about Molly's age (12 weeks on Monday) A client of mine told me that at that age her bottle fed babe was taking 6 oz a feed and only taking 5 bottles a day--Molly still takes between 3 & 4 oz and has roughly 8 bottles a day, I still feed her every 90 min- 2 hrs during the day, and in that period she has 2, 4hr naps. I really don't care what is "normal" for formula fed babies, I've tried to allow her to lead any bottle feeding in hopes of keeping the relationship as much like breast feeding as possible--but do your bf babies take larger meals yet and are they nursing fewer times through the day?? As far as I'm concerned, she shows no interest in taking any where near 6 oz at a feeding and I'm certainly not going to force her to eat more but I'm just wondering where she is in relation to what I feel is the ideal??

On personal fronts--I took my meds this morning, but slept until 11:30, was up in the middle of the night with a wicked bout of vomitting, today my ears are killing me, what I thought was the flu has either turned into or always was a sinus and ear infection! While I'm prone to sinus infections,I haven't had an ear infection since I was a kid! But wow, they hurt and I'm dizzy. Steve told me to spend the day resting (these offers are great, but of course he's outside playing with Bedlam and Molly is wide awake so-so much for resting!) However, I've taken my meds, I'm drinking my water, that will be my goal for a week and I'm not going to worry one bit about what I eat as long as I get my water in, then next week I will have the goal of also getting the appropriate numbers of fruit and veggies in. That's my plan!
#85 of 346 Old 04-06-2005, 03:27 PM

Hello! Extremely infrequent poster/lurker here.

Irina is 9 weeks and 1 day old now. I can't believe how big she is getting so quickly. And yet she's still so small! But in comparison to when she was first born. I just find it so amazing how much babies change in such a short period of time. I looked at a woman's birth story today and got all teary thinking of Irina's birth and how I'll never experience it again and it keeps moving further and further into the past. Kind of ridiculous. It was only 2 months ago.

We are working on some thrush issues. At least I'm pretty sure that's what's up with me and my nipples and I'm sure that's what's going on with the baby. I've got these wounds on my nipples and every time she nurses, it hurts like hell because she opens them up and stretches them out. I've been using gentian violet on us and it's extremely messy. The baby's mouth is all purple. This morning when I nursed her though, it seemed to hurt less. Or at least the pain faded away a lot quicker than it had been doing for the past couple of days. I'm really hoping this gentian violet stuff works for us because bf-ing is very not enjoyable right now and it shouldn't be that way.

Well, she's fussing now so I'll go and hopefully I'll be able to keep up with this post a bit and post some more myself.
#86 of 346 Old 04-06-2005, 04:01 PM

Aww Tricia, I'm sorry Chloe sprained her wrist I hope she heals up soon.

to all those that are feeling depressed. I felt pretty down after I had my first daughter and didn't get any help. I also didn't know what signs to look for either. It's hard to tell if it's PPD or circumstance like heve said. Thinking of you gals.

Anyone else's baby have acne? Have you tried anything to clear it up? I'm just leaving it alone. I tried rubbing some breastmilk on it but that didn't do anything at all. I gave her a little bath in the sink last night and it looks a little better today. Maybe the key is to dry it out with soap? Help?
#87 of 346 Old 04-06-2005, 04:41 PM

Traci-My son had horrible baby acne on his cheeks and chin...and it's much better now...I don't know if he grew out of it or if it went away because I started paying special attention to not letting him sleep with his face on my arm we would get all sweaty and his face would get all red...and now all I do different is wear a long sleeved shirt to sleep in or put a receiving blanket in between my arm and his face.

Stephanie- I tried that violet stuff once with my son and made a horrible mess...and my husband said he doesn't want his little boy to be all purple...so now I am using the prescription nystatin 100000U/ML susp...it's been 6 days and I see no improvement...and now he has a horrible diaper rash...so I'm going back to the doctor tomorrow...but on the bright side I used Zander's medicine on my nipples and they do feel better...and I also use the Lansinoh stuff...and Medela soft shells for sore nipples.
#88 of 346 Old 04-06-2005, 05:33 PM

Stephanie, if you have broken skin on your nipples, you might want to stop the gentian violet. It's rough on the skin and can worsen the "wounds". You can use lansinoh at this point to create a barrier and heal the nipples. You've probably already gotten rid of the yeast on your nipples and the lansinoh will help to protect them from getting it back.
You might also want to add white vinegar (about 1/8 c. ) to your rinse cycle in your laundry to make sure it's not on your bras or anything.

Elaina: Nystatin is in a sugar base. It feeds the yeast it's supposed to be killing. :LOL In Susun S. Weed's Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Year, she advises to mix 2 tsp baking soda in 4 oz of water and swab your baby's mouth with a q-tip after every nursing. You can also use a cotton ball to wipe your nipples with a vinegar solution (same ratio as baking soda) to keep the thrush from transferring back and forth. I leave my vinegar in the bathroom and swab whenever I'm in there.
The baking soda might help his rash too. You might just want to get some Lotrimin AF from the drug store to put on his bottom. My midwife/lactation consultant said it was fine to put on nipples too. It rubs off on your bra so you don't have to wipe it off anyway.
Also, get lots of air on your nipples. Using the soft shells might be trapping the thrush.

Me and my kids all have very sensitive skin so I'm also extermely familiar with baby acne. Breastmilk and water help my kids. I squirt breastmilk all over when they are nursing and then a little later, I gently wipe with a warm, wet washcloth. Soap might be drying and irritating in the long run. Or maybe your baby doesn't have super sensitive skin like mine do.
#89 of 346 Old 04-06-2005, 08:21 PM

Hey Mamas.
Well things are pretty nuts around here.
Kate, I don't know how I manage it either!! The day is much much better when Lilah takes her naps, but that hasn't happened for a couple of days now, amd I'm thinking about drinking a nice margarita for breakfast!! Anyone care to join me??

Went for my pp visit today, am nearly 7 weeks. It went ok, tried really hard not to cry when I was talking to my mw about life here.
She wants me to be admitted for evaluation to a day programme for ppd, so they can check me out, see what's going on and then go from there.
I told her that I mostly cry every day, from frustration, being overwhelmed, dh speaking to me in a negative tone of voice etc. She said that this was defiantely not normal, but from speaking to other Mums, they say opposite.
Anyone else feel like this?

Leslie, thinking of your Dad. That sounds extremely painful.
Tricia, hope Chole's arm is ok, can't imagine a 2 year old in a splint.
How is her potty learning going?

Ok, will check back in soon xxx Jasmine

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

#90 of 346 Old 04-06-2005, 08:27 PM

Jasmine, I'm glad your midwife is watching out for you even if it doesn't turn out to be PPD. I don't think crying everyday is normal baby blues though. It does sound like you might need help, whether it's help around the house to keep you from feeling overwhelmed or help with evaluating whether or not you have PPD

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page