Feb. '05 Mamas - The April Thread (a.k.a. months 2-3) - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 346 Old 04-09-2005, 01:58 AM
tug

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
welcome anja! i am glad that your little girl is fine, even if she had to spend a few hours in the nursery -- like others have said, the important part is that you are now with your healthy, beautiful girl.

on reusing and reheating ebm, i have to admit to being pretty lax. i will re-refrigerate and reheat sometimes. we've never had a problem. i have supply issues and so i don't throw out casually. usually, though we do what shannon does and just use a few ounces at a time. honestly, it almost makes me break out in a cold sweat when dh pulls out 4 ounces to heat at once. i generally do 2 ounces at a time. i'd rather heat more up than throw out three ounces (that practically makes me cry).

on heating - we're also awful. we nuke it for ten seconds. i've heard the stuff about it not warming evenly, etc., but we've never had a problem - just give it a shake. of course, i'm not suggesting that anybody use us as models -- i guess i'm just confessing... :

terenia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 346 Old 04-09-2005, 09:47 AM

I guess my main concern is that while breast milk has antibacterial properties--are they against the bacterias that reside in babies mouth??
Although, I guess keep in mind too, I've been dealing with reflux and a generally non-tollerant tummy, so I really don't take ANY chances! Tug, if you want a really fast bottle warmer, the one Avent makes is super quick, that's what we use beside the bed and a bottle is warmed nicely in roughly one minute! (downfall is they are an expensive warmer-but I got mine at a second hand store for $20.00)
Must go, baby is still snuggling with Daddy but I hear crying beginning so I'm assuming she's finished the poop she's working on :LOL
#123 of 346 Old 04-09-2005, 11:32 AM

Thanks for all the info on warming and using EBM. No one I asked knew anything about it and I was getting a little frantic. You're always a wealth of information when I have a question.

Joy, is the Avent system better than the playtex nurser system (besides the drop ins being frustrating and wasteful)?

Has anyone thought of using glass bottles? I'm really trying to get away from using plastic. I'm on the warpath and I'm trying to get rid of as much plastic in my household as possible.

Monica - single mama to DS nono02.gifand DD blowkiss.gif

#124 of 346 Old 04-09-2005, 11:37 AM
tug

i actually got some glass bottles with a pump loan and used them. i think they might have originally been premixed formula or juice bottles...and, wow, monica, you might be right about the plastic. i found this info (and you can buy glass bottles in larger sizes here):

Quote:
Polycarbonate baby bottles have been tested and found that bisphenol-A migrates from the bottles into the milk. Parents are advised to use glass baby bottles instead of polycarbonate (a clear, shiny, glassy-looking hard plastic). Babies are especially at risk as the amount of toxin ingested is large compared to their body weight. Also a baby's organs are still growing and will be affected more than those of a fully-grown person.
found that here:
http://store.yahoo.com/naturalbaby/realglasbabb.html

we use the soft cloudy plastic medela bottles.
#125 of 346 Old 04-09-2005, 11:57 AM

Monica, I use glass bottles some of the time,I have about 8 of them--and yes, they are from the premixed formula they gave us at the hospital--the only problem with them is that they are 3 oz and 4 oz size, so they are going to start being a pain in teh but soon when she's consistently taking more than 4 oz. For how often you're talking about giving a bottle, I don't know that I'd worry too too much about it---they are very hard to find.
On Avent vs Playtex, personally I prefer the avent, I find the venting system works really well on them. Another one you may want to try though is the playtex Advance wide mouth natural latch bottle. It has a vented bottom and I find it does work well as far as Molly swallowing too much air. The bulk of my bottles are Avent though and I don't like the playtex enough to switch over completely, but if I were only feeding a bottle here and there, I'd probably give it a try--it's not like you need a stockpile of 30 bottles or anything!
#127 of 346 Old 04-09-2005, 03:36 PM

awww your babies are so cute! And look at Autumn's woolies
#128 of 346 Old 04-09-2005, 07:52 PM

Okay so still dealing with the thrush...bought a bunch of store brand yogurt...boy do I hate yogurt...but I'll do anything for my son.
#129 of 346 Old 04-09-2005, 08:12 PM

You can put the yogurt on breast pads and put it on your nipples too. Less eating that way
#130 of 346 Old 04-10-2005, 02:52 PM

I guess I need to say goodbye for a little while...since we are moving on the 16th my husband wants to pack up the computer...I might not be able to find you gals again...but hopefully I will be back on-line by June 18th.
#131 of 346 Old 04-10-2005, 03:37 PM

I used glass bottles exclusively when I fed my daughter 11 years ago. We didn't have a dishwasher at the time, so I wanted to be sure the bottles were literally squeaky clean and the glass always felt very nice and sanitized to me. I dropped them many times and they are almost shatter proof. I say almost because if you drop them on hard tile they will smash But all in all I absolutely loved them and would use them again if I had to.

Joy I found some at Target the other day. Have you checked there?

Elaina! I'm sorry you won't have a computer for a while. Take care and hopefully we'll see you back here when you get back online.

We are having a lovely freakin blizzard here today. It's so bad they cancelled church this morning. So I'm making a nice roast chicken dinner tonight will the works. We have firewood stocked up and DH is going out to get some movies. It's family snuggle in front of the fire watching a movie night
#132 of 346 Old 04-10-2005, 03:40 PM

Wow Elaina. That's a long time away from the computer. How will you do it? hehe
Traci: your plans for today sound wonderful!
#133 of 346 Old 04-10-2005, 08:47 PM

Wow, Traci, no I had not checked Target, only BrU becaue I had gc's to BrU from returning piles of useless stuff. Mental note to check Target.

So we've had an interesting day today. I pumped like a mad fool Friday and yesterday and first thing this moring, and made 3 4 to 5 oz bottles for DH to feed Dominic today. He's working on the last one now. Between the early morning pumping (which had Dominic attached to the other boob) and the other 3 times I've pumped today without him (this was the first time ever to attempt pumping without him attached), I've made a whole 10oz. *sigh*. Anyway, this was kind of a dry run to see how DH did being the primary for a day, and to see how much Dominic ate, to get Dominic used to daddy's arms for comfort, etc.

It has been HARD for me to listen to him cry and want to just take him and cuddle him, but I know that for the transition to me back to work to be as smooth as possible, this had to be done.... I will go nurse him here shortly... as soon as DH runs out of the last bottle.

As Traci said, we're having a blizzard. i LOVE colorado in the spring.
#134 of 346 Old 04-12-2005, 12:15 AM

popping in quickly before my next hot compress session...groan...in fact, dh is calling that the water is ready...

I found glass bottles at TRUs - they're made by Evenflo.

grrrr...must go...

s to Joy during this tough transition.
#135 of 346 Old 04-12-2005, 03:34 AM

Baby is sleeping already!

Checked "Your Fussy Baby" out of the library today. The trick is getting a chance to read it while parenting a severely fussy baby.

Nigel had his 2 month check-up today. The little porker is 12 pounds 12 ounces and 23.5 inches long. With a massive 16 inch head!
Told the doc no shots unless DH does enough of his own research to warrent it. DD has no vax and is doing great, so we'll see. Doc seem fine with the decision so far. She's also way down with breastfeeding and cosleeping! Plus her kids are many years apart like mine, so she can totally relate. Hooray!

We are experimenting to see if Nigel might take a bottle of mama milk at some point. I got the quasi-disposable Avent ones they aren't that clear plastic. So far only Raven has tried to give him one (such a sweet girl ) in the car. He HATES the car! He mostly just chews on the nipple, but it gives him something to do beside scream.
I might have to look for a job as my childcare kids have no need for me and the student loan bills are piling up. So I'm hoping he'll figure it out. A friend loaned me a PIS, but I need a new valve thingy to use both sides. I get about 2 ounces while he nurses from the other side.

Mom to three 14 y.o. rock star grrl, 5 y.o. knight in spazzy armour and baby Juniper, born still @39 weeks 4 days 2-3-10 .
#136 of 346 Old 04-12-2005, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Good morning... I just got home from working out. It feels great. I thought it would be torture to get up an hour earlier, but it's nice. The little kids are still sleeping, my okder ds is at school and I am getting a lot accomplished. Miah is sleeping well at night. She doesn't go down for good until I get into bed with her...so about 10 or 11. I am working on getting to bed earlier. But she always sleeps til at least 2am and sometimes 4am and once she slept til 6am. It is wonderful to be getting some sleep. I have a friend who still wakes her 4 month old every 3-4 hours at night to eat. Is that crazy or am I?? I figure if my baby is sleeping she must be full and content.

Sadkitty ~ Sorry to have a fussy baby. Miah has a fussy stage for a little while at night right before she goes down. I can't imagine her doing that all day. That would be hard.

Heve ~ I must have missed it... why the hot compress sessions?

Joy ~ Oh I feel for you... It must be hard having to make this transition.

I better run and get some more done before the little ones wake. Take care everyone.

Life is to be enjoyed...not just endured!
#137 of 346 Old 04-12-2005, 12:23 PM
tug

Amber - glad that you've been able to work out and yay for mia for being so easy at night! my mia is also generally a pretty good sleeper but has been fussy the past couple of nights. i'm trying to figure out what i ate that might be bothering her. i've already mostly eliminated dairy although i did have ice cream last night...hmmm, that might be the culprit. i've also been eating lots of salad; i hope that's not the problem.

heve - hope you're feeling better.

kitty- let us know what you learn from the book. my aunt and uncle who are visiting have actually commented on how fussy mia is. kind of makes me feel like a bad mommy.

joy - the bm to ebm transition will be ok. we've been doing ebm by daddy for more than a month now, i think. i have to pump a lot to have enough each day but daddy does like the bonding time with mia.

happy day all!

terenia
#138 of 346 Old 04-12-2005, 12:27 PM

Hi everyone. I have started a workout program that my friend suggested. It's mostly a toning workout but it kicks my proverbial butt. Ten minutes of pure unadulterated hell. Then I do pushups, leg lifts, and transition to the bike. I'm going to buy a used stationary bike when I get home. It really works out my thighs and I am kind of : when I wear shorts. I'm hoping to be fit by my birthday.

I've also been basking in the sun. I know, I know...skin cancer and all that jazz, but I'm so sick of looking like a pallid banana. I have an olive skin tone and when I'm pale I look so yellow. So I'm already starting to look like a sun-kissed goddess.

Have any of you started having sex? I think I'm ready and everything feels okay down there. I do need to do my kegels, but besides that I think I'm ready...but I'm kind of scared. DH is actually showing some interest in sex (gasp) and I think I really should give it to him before he goes off to school. The whole "unloaded gun" mentality you know.

Joy. It is so hard to hear Scott crying and not be able to comfort him because my mom or sister is holding him. I want to be the one who comforts him and it takes all my willpower not to snatch him out of their hands and run away with him.

Well I'd better run. I'm getting pointed looks from DH because we're supposed to go visit a friend and I'm making us late. Our friend's dad is the curator of a military museum on the island and he's taking us to see the infamous warehouse where all the really neat stuff is being stored until they finish repairing hurricane damage. So I better go.

Monica - single mama to DS nono02.gifand DD blowkiss.gif

#139 of 346 Old 04-12-2005, 01:17 PM

Thanks guys for the hugs. Its weird to be making this transition. I *don't* want to leave this child and go to work all day. at all. But, mortgages, food, etc are rather necessary, and DH struck out in finding something full time. I'm still waiting to hear from the company that was courting me right before i went on mat leave - for a full time work from home funky hours set up. they emailed me 4-1 to tell me they were having organizational meetings last week and would have a better idea after those. WE'll see. I am at the point where, regardless of the fact that I adore my current manager and team, I would do anything to be able to continue the breastfeeding relationship (particularly since pumping is not super easy for me). We'll see if I hear from them. I am slated to started back at MCI on May 3.

re sex - my midwife had encouraged it at the 3 weeks and 6 week followup visits, and we dtd about a week ago. I was so pleased it didn't hurt. I was a bit worried. it was tricky - dominic was asleep on my side of the bed, and we just used DH's. We have to think about birth control now. I'm not going on hormones, so I think we'll be investing in condoms.

big hugs....
#140 of 346 Old 04-12-2005, 02:02 PM

gasp - I actually have another 30 seconds to get online...

Amber - my c/s insicion has a surface infection...very angry looking. OB's recommendation as the only thing to get it healed is to apply super hot compresses for 15 minutes, 4x/day. ugh. to add to the list of things keeping me busy...feeding a slow eater (yup, still on the shield) - we're talking 2 to 3 hour sessions when all is said and done, pumping, sleeping, eating...

I hear you on the self-restaint issues when someone else is consoling baby...I have to let them - there are simply not enough hours in the 24-hour day...

gotta go...!
#141 of 346 Old 04-12-2005, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenner
Hi all... I'm hoping I can join this thread. My dd, Adira, was born 01-13-05 a month early at 4lbs 13oz. She's at about 11lbs now, so she's thriving and doing well... except....
my dd was born on 1/13 at 35 weeks. thankfully she was quite healthy except for some jaundice but i held firm on the breastmilk. do you realize that our girls' first birthday will be a friday LOL!

hello everyone! i totally forgot about the new weekly thread. i swear i'd forget my head if it wasn't attached. sometimes i'm afraid i'll forget the baby cause when i have all 3 kids together i certain tend to forget about one of the older ones. yikes! does anyone else have problems remembering things?

i read through all the pages but it's too many to respond to! mia is doing well. she was 11/3 at her 2 month appt. an i swear she must be close to 15 pound by now LOL! everyone keeps saying how little she is but she sure feels heavy to me!

are many other babies showing interest in toys? mia doesn't yet but sometimes her skills are a bit delayed on account of "adjusted age." she does smile, coo and sometimes this teeny giggle which is so cute. she loves mirrors and we had fun talking to each other in the mirror yesterday. it's really cool.

i'm trying to enjoy each day but get stuff done too. i return to work on the 19th and just want to :cry: as well. i'm supposed to give notice after that but dh's job is rather unstable right now so we just have to wait and see. while i really like and trust mia's dcp (having used her for 5 years for my other two), i can't stand the thought of not being with her all day like i am now. i'm gonna miss some of her first fun stuff i think. plus i'm not looking forward to getting up before the sun again.

i don't think i shared pictures yet so here she is plus one of my other two as well.

Missy Moo
#142 of 346 Old 04-12-2005, 05:52 PM

Hey heveasoul, do you have a good salve to put on your c-sec incision? Like something with goldenseal and comfrey to keep infection out and help it knit together? I dont' know what's available where you live, but I'm sure a local healthfood store has something. I like Golden Healing Salve by Equinox Botanicals.
#143 of 346 Old 04-12-2005, 05:56 PM

Awww Denise. I wouldn't want to leave either. Mia is so cute. Amelie is starting to look interested in toys. I put them in her hands sometimes and she ends up bopping herself on the head and dropping them. She also loves the smiles and smiles really big when I hold her in front and talk to her. I love these first coos and gurgles. They are so sweet sounding

P.S. I was at WIC today and they weighed Amelie. She weighs 15 lbs 8 ounces!!! and she'll be 2 months old in 5 days. My biggest baby yet. Skanda was 14lbs 12 oz and Nadia 15 lbs 4 oz at 2 months. She doesn't look like a giant blob like Nadia did, though. She 24 1/4 in and Nadia was only 22 in at the same age.
#144 of 346 Old 04-12-2005, 06:09 PM

Hey everyone! I've been reading but not posting much the last few days--Molly is too big now for me to type while she's laying across my arms :LOL
Molly hasn't shown much interest in toys, but she does have a nice soft doll that has a little rattle thing in it and she tolds that and hits herself in the head with it. I can't believe it but she's cutting a tooth! she's only 12 weeks old! She's not too fussy with it, but she's drooling everywhere (yep, whiping dog hair out of the drool) and she's constantly got her fist in her mouth. It's affected her feeding a bit in that she wants small amounts often, it seems in the afternoon she eats 2 oz every hour until about 6:00 hits, then she goes back to normal. Mostly though she just wants to chew on her soother constantly.
Today I got a Kelty Kids Kangaroo carrier from Freecycle!! It's in new condition and OMG it's SO comfy!!! Best of all, Molly just loves it, she actually stayed awake in it and looked all around smiling at everything. Then I bought her a pair of baby bands sunglasses, no side thingies, just a neoprene band.
On Sat we went and had her first set of professional portraits done, they are so awesome! We get them back I think the end of next week so I'll add them to her site them. We had her naked (well, she had a diaper but you can't see it in the pics) with a black ground, one of both of our hands cradling her and another of her on her tummy. I was so pleased with how they turned out.

Just another reminder folks, deadline to sign up for the baby shower is this Friday (my birthday ) To the mamas who have recently joined us, you are welcome to participate, the info is on the Feb mamas due date board in I'm pregnant.
#145 of 346 Old 04-12-2005, 06:35 PM

wow kava she's a good size!!! those couple of inches sure makes a difference. both my girls were 19" at birth but my 35 week preemie had a good 1/2 pound over her full-term sister and it showed!

shannon, awesome on the carrier. i saw someone with a kozy karrier recently and thought that might be handy for doing houseork and such. but they were $ and a logn wait. so i'm making do with my maya which i actually like very much. i've seen various things on freecycle and craigs list but only after i already purchased and began using my items :

woah on the tooth! she's a great achiever eh? a baby at la leche born 3 days before mia had FOUR teeth already! heavens LOL.
#146 of 346 Old 04-12-2005, 10:18 PM

Wow! Hazel is still the tiny one here, just 10 pounds 5 ounces yesterday. Not much news to report, running ragged trying to take care of two, enjoy my time off, get some projects accomplished, visit with my dad (and mom who's b-day was yesterday), etc.

I went shopping at the carter's outlet and bought way too much stuff for both girls, but they're growing so fast. I updated Hazel's website (and made it Hazel and Mel's site) and got a good smiley picture up there. Check it out:
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/bigsister/
password: mycroft
make sure that you look in the gallery for Hazel's smiling pic.
#147 of 346 Old 04-12-2005, 10:52 PM

that's a great smile
she looked so tiny in that tub at first
#148 of 346 Old 04-12-2005, 11:34 PM

How's your dad doing Leslie??
#149 of 346 Old 04-13-2005, 12:46 AM

N(on sheild)AK...

omg Lesley - she's huge-looking!!! awesome cheeks!!!

Shannon - your birthday?! you coy thing! I'm honoured! ---Shannon, Molly, and Steve are coming over to my place on Friday.

i'm on my own this evening and little man is not letting me pump...our supply has reached a dangerously low level, and I get nervous about my production... have I mentioned it takes at least two adults to keep this show running?

kava - thanks. I think at this point, since I'm trying to draw out the nastiness, I don't want it sealing, but I'll look around for that, for later.
#150 of 346 Old 04-13-2005, 03:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi everyone!!!!

Im in a terrific mood because I FINALLY found a decent pediatrician!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YipEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I've been going from one ped to another for over a year now and the one we went to today for Carlee's 2 month visit was awesome. He was very bfing friendly and even gave me some good advice( even though I already knew it, it was cool to hear a doc say it!) on trying to keep down the spitting up ( he told me to try and nurse her one side at a time so that she got more hind milk but of course, if she wanted to nurse more to give her the other side). Most importantly he wasn't condescending and acted like he respected my decsion when I told him that I was selectively and delaying vaccinations. I just had to sign a waiver that said that I was declining the vaxes. So, I feel a sense of relief that I'm not the freaky parent that can't click with any doctors.

Oh, and Carlee is a perfect 12 pounds 5 oz. and 24 inches long. So, she had gained 2 pounds and 2 1/2 inches in one month!!! Yah for Mama milk!!

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page