Any comments on teaching baby to read? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 04-04-2005, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

I was wondering if any of you have tried this, and what you think about it. I've been reading "How to Teach Your Baby to Read" by Glenn and Janet Doman and find it really interesting and exciting. Then there is the video set "Your baby can Learn to Read." Have any of you tried either of these? I am slightly concerned about teaching sight reading vs. phonics.

By the way, if there is a more appropriate forum for this, please let me know.

Thanks!

Colleen
mom to Will, born Jan 04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 04-04-2005, 12:25 PM

I've got loads of thoughts on it. Take a look at this thread in "Learning at Home."

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#3 of 3 Old 04-04-2005, 12:41 PM

Personally, I don't think sight words versus phonics is an issue for very young children. Very briefly and overly simplistically, this focuses on the idea of "real literature" over books constructed from a carefully-controlled list of words that increase in phonetic difficulty. Some children do slightly better with a sight word approach (generally those who learn to read when very young), and some do better with a more phonics based approach (generally those who learn to read a bit older), but after both are reading, neither is really "better".

Most children and teachers use both approaches eventually anyway. For example, even if you start by sounding out a word phonetically, it should eventually become automatically recognizable, and even if you know a word by sight first, you eventually learn to decode the letters/phonemes in it and apply those phonemes to similar words.

For babies, I would think the sight word/whole language approach is generally more appropriate. Mostly because the books in a whole language approach are more content-rich and conceptually interesting. The main things a child is likely to learn as a baby about books (my 1 year old seems to enjoy reading and has learned these facts so far) are that books have pages, pictures, and words; the pages can be turned; and in the next year to two, probably that the words tell mommy what to say for each page.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page