How long did you wait to introduce solids to your babe? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: How long did you wait to introduce solids to your babe?
Introduced between 4-6 months 26 15.95%
introduced around 6 months 44 26.99%
Introduced 6-9 months 64 39.26%
introduced 9-12 months 19 11.66%
introduced after 1 year 10 6.13%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 05-10-2003, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think they (the moms on the other poll you are talking about) do it because of the old wives tale that feeding cereal will make babies sleep longer, which is totally ridiculous. Babies little systems are just not ready to digest cereal at two months old. Why rush the baby on solids, they grow up fast enough~
Just my .02
#32 of 48 Old 05-11-2003, 12:13 AM

I voted 6-9 months because we are still "introducing" foods but not so much "eating" foods!ild At 5 months, ds was staring intently as we ate, grabbing for our food and showing so much interest I was afraid we weren't going to be able to wait until 6 months to introduce solids. But, the actual experience hasn't lived up to his expectations. He makes the most awful faces! So, we wait a few days or a week or so and try again. Oh, and he's no longer grabbing for our food!
#33 of 48 Old 05-27-2003, 01:00 PM

DD is 6 months and has been reaching for our plates and really watching what we do for the past month, but the few times I tried giving her anything, she turned her nose up at it! Recently I have started making breastmilk popsicles for her and she REALLY seems to enjoy those and it also helps her gums!
My DH is so anxious for her to start solids because he would like to start being involved in her meals, so the popsicles have given him the opportunity to help her "eat."
~Tricia
#34 of 48 Old 05-27-2003, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Grace didnt care about food at all. She was not interested in being spoonfed one bit. She didnt even care about playing with a spoon! She ate about half of a very small (like stage one) jar of food per day (or one or two frozen cubes of homemade stuff). Loved that mommy milk!

Lily, however, has been a different story. She started grabbing my fork or spoon before she turned 5 months old. Irritated, mad, frantic sometimes if you didnt evne offer to share. So from 5 to 6 months I have been giving her tastes of stuff, even putting some on the high chair with a spoon and telling her to have at it! I just didnt want to start spoon feeding her once a day until she was 6 months. She just recently lost her tongue thrust and still cant sit unassisted for more than a few seconds.

But man, she sees that spoon coming and she just about goes ballistic. She is all about food! Her whole little body quivers in anticipation and she shrieks for more as fast as you can shovel it in. What a sight.

LOL!
#35 of 48 Old 05-29-2003, 04:03 PM

I wanted to wait 6 months, because I have a lot of food allergies myself. My doc wanted me to start of 4 months. I ignored him, but I didn't ignore my dd. She was sitting unsupported at 4 months, and started showing interest in our food at around 3 mos. By 5 months, I was wondering, "Why follow a calendar?" "How is her gut going to magically be different on March 17 than March 18, when she's 6 full months?" And she was getting more and more upset with us for not sharing. She was even making chewing motions, mimicking our eating. I started by spoonfeeding her water and breastmilk, which was a fun game, but by 5 months 1 week, I gave in. We went extra slow, starting with rice, then waiting till almost 6 months before introducing the next grain. We held off on wheat until 8 months, and started veggies and fruits around 7.
#36 of 48 Old 05-30-2003, 12:07 AM

We introduced solids between 6.5-7 months. My dd broke her first tooth at 6.5 months and it wasn't until then that she showed any interest in solids. Even then a bite or two was enough. She didn't eat more than a bite or two at a time until about 10 months. After ten months she started refusing the mushy foods and would only eat table foods. :

I didn't want to push solids at all, because my dh has a very sensitive gut. He gets the runs from eating out and stuff like that- you just never know what will set him off. My dd unfortunately shows signs of having the same kind of gut. At 28 months she still has nasty mushy poopies. :
#37 of 48 Old 05-31-2003, 12:35 AM

I planned on starting solids later than we did (between 6 and 9 months), but during the fifth month dh and I had to do "tag team eating"... one would occupy Mabel while the other ate. She screamed and cried and lunged for our food. We finally gave her some right before she turned six months. She hasn't had any problems and loves to eat! She still nurses as much as ever, though. I would say around six months should be the earliest to intorduce solids, but after that it depends on the baby.

Amanda, mom to dsd (16), dd (11), dd (8), and ds (born 11/12/11).

#38 of 48 Old 06-03-2003, 10:23 AM

well my ds is 6.5 months-we have slowly tired rice cerel and sweet potatoes etc....i have been making the baby food at home using organics....

i planned to wait as long as possible - ds has been showing interest so we fed cereal on 6month bday...it has been very low key - i ususally feed him a bit of food once a day or so...the problem is my MIL....she has been freaking out about ds not eating solids since he was about 3-4 months - she did not bf either - in fact she gave us a HUGE blanket for ds at xmas "so I could cover myself while bf" ha ha ha

i am wondering if this could be a cultural thing as my MIL is from mexico but i guess the pressure to feed solids comes from anywhere ...my parents are cool and if they ever piped up with their opinions i would tell them to back off...unfortunately dh ignores his mother and I am the one left to tell her to mind her own business...the last time i did this (when i became prego we did not talk for almost 6 months!) I try to stay neutral around her and let her spout her "wisdom" but I am worried that she will sneak ds something he should not have as ds stays with her on occasion when the work schedule gets fouled up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

any suggestions..... i don't want to start world war 3 over here but I am tired of hearing MIL's opinions.......

thanks
#39 of 48 Old 06-03-2003, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chigrrl
I try to stay neutral around her and let her spout her "wisdom" but I am worried that she will sneak ds something he should not have as ds stays with her on occasion when the work schedule gets fouled up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

any suggestions..... i don't want to start world war 3 over here but I am tired of hearing MIL's opinions.......

thanks
I would tell her that under no circumstances should he be fed anything but what you tell her is okay. Tell her the ped. has given you guidelines (well, you know they suggest waiting until six months and introducing foods slowly) and that you're following them.

Remind her that if she feeds ds something new and he has a reaction, how will you know what caused it unless you know what he's had!

Good luck, I know MIL's can be difficult.
#40 of 48 Old 07-13-2003, 03:45 AM

I fully intended to wait AT LEAST 6 months before starting solids, but I went to lunch with my dad in a tiny Israeli restaurant and Ben threw a fit! He wanted my shawarma so bad! I gave him a taste of hummus. Ben loves solids! He gets extra cranky if he doesn't get his 3 meals a day. I have to say, I wasn't expecting this.
#41 of 48 Old 07-14-2003, 10:49 PM

We're still not on solids yet at 7 months. I'm taking my cues from ds. No teeth yet and some interest in what we're eating but not grabbing yet and not putting things in his mouth either.
#42 of 48 Old 07-14-2003, 11:40 PM

With dd #1, I followed our ped's instructions and started at 4 mos. With this baby, I'm waiting till 6 mos. Well, I let her taste some rice cereal and she grabbed a popsicle and shoved it in her mouth before I could stop her , but we're not going to start for a couple more weeks when she turns 6 mos. If she isn't ready, we'll wait and try again

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#43 of 48 Old 07-15-2003, 02:32 AM

I read the Super Baby Foods book and followed Ruth's advice. I started ds at 6 mos exactly. For a month before that he was real interested when we ate and he would sit with us...in his bouncer on the table. I started him on sweet potatoes and bananas. He loves all kinds of foods and just today tried tuna fish and loved it. He will try anything especially if his dad and I are eating it. I still have not given him whole milk yet. I do not intend to for awhile. He nurses very well and eats yogurt and cheese daily. He especially loves nectarines and watermelon.
#44 of 48 Old 07-18-2003, 06:56 PM

We waited til after one year to introduce solids. Dd showed no interest for the longest time! She also didn't get her first tooth til about 10 months and the next one came in several weeks after that one.

She showed no interest at all. On her birthday, we made a carrot cake with all healthy stuff, no refined sugar etc....and cream cheese frosting. We gave her a piece mostly for the photo shoot. She ended up getting a piece of the cake into her mouth and the horrible faces she made were FUNNY!

At 13.5 months, she has gotten the hang of solids but still doesn't like much texture. I have Super Baby Food (Ruth Yaron) and I make all of her food from scratch with organic ingredients. She eats rice cereal, millet cereal, bananas (loves these), carrots (not fonod of them), zuchini squash and beets. She has totally turned down peaches and apple sauce!

She nurses like a newborn practically too. I'd say she nuses every 3 hours or so during the day and twice or more at night. (Co-sleeper). It doesn't seem that solids has reduced her nursings much at all.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#45 of 48 Old 07-19-2003, 08:24 AM

I had to share this story about my step-sister in this thread. She was told by her doctor that since her 7 week old girl was almost 14 lbs., she was as developed as a 4 month old, and should be put on cereal. This, of course, following the old reccommendation of starting solids at 4 months, not 6 months. Sadly, my sister followed these instructions, even though her daughter can barely hold her head up for a few seconds.
#46 of 48 Old 07-24-2003, 08:56 PM

Well, I've heard again and again to wait until 6 months, but ds just seems so ready. At 4 months, he actually seemed really interested so I mushed up some banana with breast milk...wasn't at all interested. So, I waited a while.
Just in the last few days, ds has been reaching for our food and yelling at us! If he knew how to say the words, he'd be saying, "I want some of that!". So 3 days ago, I got some organic avacado and mushed it up with breast milk so it was pretty liquidy. He really seemed to enjoy it. I fed him probably about a half a tablespoon of actual avacado. And later that same day, I fed him more avacado/breastmilk about 2 tablespoons. Yesterday when I tried it again, he didn't seem as interested, and spit most of it out. Last night his first tooth cut thru and another one is almost up thru the gums also! Today I haven't given him anything because he has been on the fussy side because of the teething. I've been giving him Hylands and he's been sleeping a lot today, so he probably wouldn't be interested in food today. So, I'm just playing it by ear, and taking cues from him. At 4 months he had almost tripled his birth weight -- was 7lbs 6oz at birth and at 4month check was 19lb 6oz. At 5 1/2 months now, I'm sure he has tripled his birth weight at this point. He doesn't totally sit unassisted yet, but almost.
We'll see how he is feeling tomorrow. I will nurse him before I make breakfast as usual, and since he usually is most interested while we are eating, I will have something ready for him standing by if he is interested.

#47 of 48 Old 07-24-2003, 09:05 PM

9 months and grains 12months It is said that the children donot develop the enzime to digest starch until they are 6 months so I did not want to force his digestion therefore i made all of his baby food at home with no starch.
#48 of 48 Old 07-25-2003, 12:55 PM

We started our babe on runny cereal at about 3 months. By 4 months she was Hungry hungry hungry!!! She's almost 7 months now and breastfeeding less and less. She eats HUGE bowls of anything I want to smush up and give her. She likes Tomato soup and cereal, applesauce, mashed potatoes, yams, pinto beans, anything!!! She's a little piglet!! I have started her on a cup now with water and finger foods like vienna sausages and banana. She loves to feed herself and make a mess!!! She still likes to nurse at bedtime and mornings though and once in the afternoon!! She can't stop looking around at her brother and sister long enough to finish nursing! GRRR!!!
Scottie
Mom to Jade(12), Mckenzy(4), and Amethyst(7 mo)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page