How long did you wait to introduce solids to your babe? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: How long did you wait to introduce solids to your babe?
Introduced between 4-6 months 26 15.95%
introduced around 6 months 44 26.99%
Introduced 6-9 months 64 39.26%
introduced 9-12 months 19 11.66%
introduced after 1 year 10 6.13%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 48 Old 10-21-2002, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How long did you wait to introduce solids to your babe?
#2 of 48 Old 10-22-2002, 03:22 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
We waited until 10 mos to introduce, but she was 12 mos before she showed any real interest. Even now at 14 mos she is still mostly bfed.
#3 of 48 Old 10-22-2002, 12:37 PM

Well, I can't vote b/c 3 month old DD is not on solids. But I plan to hold off as long as possible. I will wait until she is really asking for them, showing an obvious interest, etc. And even then I am not in any hurry to rush the transition. Basically, I'm going to let her decide when and how much.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#4 of 48 Old 10-22-2002, 01:16 PM

Tracy drove us nuts!!! for solids at 5 months!! So I reluctantly started them. He had more time with his hands in our plates than he did with them anywhere. He just gave us these looks of longing and watched every bite. As we would bring our fork to our mouth he would make hard nursing oises and chewing motions. So I started them. He is doing good but is only on his 3rd thing. So far he likes greenbeans the best. Which is weird because dh and I HATE them!!!

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#5 of 48 Old 10-22-2002, 05:29 PM

Hi! Ours usually start reaching for food around 8 months give or take... peas, green beans, beans, corn... they love to pick them out of a bowl and eat them, one-by-one...

It is a fun time to watch!

The Lord bless you!
Zoie
#6 of 48 Old 10-22-2002, 08:23 PM

With my first I naively started solids about 4 mos. Big mistake!!! He ended up with multiple food allergies! So I stopped and held off until about 7 mos. His allergies have only begun to diminish. With my daughter I used my experience and waited until about 10 mos. Now with our 5 mos. boy I am again going to wait as long as possible for his own timing.
#7 of 48 Old 10-23-2002, 11:50 AM

I waited till he was past a year. He never reached for anything, and was fine just on the breast. I also stayed home with him for the first year. Also every one was saying how not to give them honey, peanut butter, milk, orange juice, till after a year. So I just waited to give him anything.

Now I am due in April and I am also most possitive that because I will be going back to work, and dad will be homw he will feed it at the Book reconmended 4-6 months. We "talk" about this often but he is the one home, and not willing to drive it to my work (one mile away) if he runs out of pumped milk. (with my son I would pump for ever and noting would come out) so we'll see.
#8 of 48 Old 10-23-2002, 04:15 PM

I sterted around 8 months, but he got congested and I delayed it until he was 9 months. However, he was not really eating until he was one year old. Now, at 18 months, some days it amazes me how much he can eat.
#9 of 48 Old 10-24-2002, 12:22 PM

We just started solids at 5 months! I hadn't planned to even think about it yet, but Abigail was NOT KIDDING. She had been watching me eat for weeks, and got to the point of kicking, insistent vocalizing, and frantic reaching for my fork or cup. I decided that listening to what she was telling me was more important than watching the calendar. She is thrilled! I miss exclusively bf-ing, but it's a great pleasure to see her learning and enjoying herself so much!
#10 of 48 Old 10-25-2002, 09:22 PM

All of my girls started solids at 4 months-ish. With any more babies I have I'll probably start them a little later, probably 6-9 months-ish.
#11 of 48 Old 10-26-2002, 12:09 AM

I remember reading that you will know when your baby is ready to start solids, and it's true! At 5 months Jackson was watching us eat, following our forks with his hungry eyes, mimicking our chewing and smacking his chops. By 6 months he was trying to steal food off our plates and getting frustrated that we weren't getting the idea. So, we gave him bananas at 6 months and he ate 1/2 a banana right off the bat. He loves solids, eats like a piggie (still nurses like a piggie, too).
#12 of 48 Old 10-26-2002, 11:01 AM

I intended to wait past 6 months for dd too. But at 5 months she was diving for our plates and grabbing things off, so I went ahead. She started belly crawling at 5 1/3 months and now at just over 6 months is full on hands and knees crawling and getting FAST!! Like some of the other moms I let her take the lead rather than the calendar.

Now when DH & I sit for dinner she wants to have something too.

thistle
#13 of 48 Old 10-26-2002, 05:44 PM

We also started when the babies really showed interest, which with all of them has been 8-9 months.
#14 of 48 Old 10-27-2002, 01:08 PM

Our DS wanted to eat, so we introduced solids early. I don't regret it at all, in fact I'm really happy about it. DS is not a picky eater like other toddlers we know - he loves food, especially fruits and veggies. He tried a bite or two of banana around 3.5 mos, but didn't really eat more than a bite of fruit once every few days until he was 5 mos. At 5 mos on the dot he started really demanding to eat, although even then it was only about an ounce at a time, about once a day. It's not like it's an overnight thing, they don't suddenly start in on 3 meals a day. That surprised me a little, how gradual it is when you just follow their cues. To me, listening to what your baby wants and asks for is at the heart of AP, so that's what we did. There's no history of allergies in our family either, so that helped us out. By about a year, he was up to regular meals/snacks.
#15 of 48 Old 10-28-2002, 01:10 AM

Dd had no interest in solids until after her first 4 teeth simultaneously broke fully through the gums at 12.5 months. I'd been sitting her in the high chair and giving her food, but it was really face paint. When her teeth were through, she suddenly lunged for the hummous I was eating.

I didn't want to start her on solids early because Dh has a family history of allergies. The only reason I pushed at all is because I have low supply and I've been hoping that I could replace supplements via bottle with real food.

Over the past weeks Dd has really increased her intake. She went from 4 supplements per day to 2 over that time, and today I was on the way to the refrigerator to get her afternoon supplement, when she pointed to a cup of yogurt I'd left sitting out about an hour before. So she ate that and just played with her supplement.

I don't see how giving solids can be anything other than baby-led. Dd is very clear what she wants (usually what's on my plate), when she wants it (generally when I'm eating it), and when she is done.
#16 of 48 Old 10-28-2002, 06:40 PM

Can anyone figure out why this poll is in the Nightwaking forum? I guess I'm just being tidy, but I think this belongs in Life with a Babe.
#17 of 48 Old 10-29-2002, 12:51 AM

z-girl,

When I saw this thread I thought maybe it had something to do with the rumors that sleep can be disrupted when solids are started. Someone here proposed that this suggests allergies.

I noticed that when Dd started taking more foods, she did in fact seem to sleep a little more lightly. It was most noticable when she first really started increasing the amount of food she took, for about 3 nights.

But no one talked about this, so I figure at some point one of the moderators will move this. But it's an interesting topic.
#18 of 48 Old 10-29-2002, 09:49 AM

I think it's here because of the theory that starting solids helps a baby sleep without waking and needing to nurse as often.

From my experience, in some cases it does help. In other cases the baby gets gassy and wakes more. And most of the time it makes no difference at all in waking.
#19 of 48 Old 10-31-2002, 06:43 PM

I thought maybe it was the food/sleep connection, but I didn't really see it mentioned. No biggie!
#20 of 48 Old 10-31-2002, 07:39 PM

dd showed some interest at 4 months and by 5 months was grabbing for anything she could...but I held out until she was a bit over 6 months old. (Gave her sips of water to hold her over and let her play with a spoon) I decided to wait until she was sitting well unassisted, VERY interested, had doubled her birth weight AND was at least 6 months old.
#21 of 48 Old 11-04-2002, 10:18 PM

We started trying at around 6 months.

He has only recently (and I mean within the last week) really really started showing interest and is eating a modest portion of food. He will be 10 months in a week.

lisa--mama to solid food eatin' Aidan (1/11/02)

~lisa~mama to 3 boys (1/02, 5/04, 12/06)
#22 of 48 Old 11-07-2002, 06:03 PM

I didn't know what to vote. DD "showed interest" in food at around 5 months, so we tried giving her some then. Her interest was just in what we were eating/doing, though, not really in eating for herself. We kept trying every once in a while for the next several months. Finally at about 10 months, she became able to pick up finger food and eat it, and that was the first true interest she had in eating. Her eating was still only a few morsels per day until about 18 months. She has multiple food allergies, so she probably "knew" she should not eat solids. It was really hard, though, because all the books say that kids should be merrily chowing down on gobs of food so much earlier. I even read kids wouldn't develop the proper chewing and swallowing skills if they don't eat earlier than DD did, but guess what, she now likes food (as much as most toddlers) and it doesn't dribble down her chin for lack of jaw control. She can chew and swallow as well as any early eater.

Carol
#23 of 48 Old 05-07-2003, 01:40 PM

i voted on a similar poll at babycenter. on that one, more people voted less than 2 mos, than voted 8 or above:

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#24 of 48 Old 05-07-2003, 09:12 PM

When the baby is ready, which is different for all babies.
Out of my seven, solid food ranged from 4 months (earliest, my third) to 22 months (my second)
Each baby develops at a different pace. My 3rd was already 19 pounds and crawling at 4 months, was picking up food bits and feeding himself, and sitting up by himself. My second was not interested in anything but me (and turned out to be highly allergic to EVERYTHING) until he was nearly 2. He is now 18 and is not sensitive to anything at all, and his ped agreed it was because he was exclusively breastfed, in fact, he encouraged it. The others generally started between 6 and 10 months.
Whatever feels right to your baby!
Oh, and smearing your entire body with avacado sounds like great fun!
#25 of 48 Old 05-08-2003, 01:45 AM

That whenever the baby is ready, but he can be ready, but is his digestive system? My son wanted solids, but he had a hard time with some of them, like, banana's & apple's. If you introduce solids, do the orange colored foods first like, carrots, sweet potato's etc.etc. their easier to digest & pears.

~ OctoberAngel
#26 of 48 Old 05-08-2003, 06:24 AM

We introduced solids at 6 months but DD showed no interest until around 9-10 months. I'll wait until baby is really ready next time around!
#27 of 48 Old 05-09-2003, 02:17 PM

I see most people saying they gave solids when baby showed an interest. While this makes sense, and is sure more baby respectful than what my mom did (force solids at 3 weeks!), it is not the only indicator of readiness. sevenkids saw how it varied from child to child, because of allergies, teeth, and ability to sit unsupported. Sitting unsupported is a good indicator of gut maturity. You don't want to give solids if they just come out in the same form they were in going in. This is undigested food and is just a big waste, stresses the gut and actually uses calories to be passed thru.

When you do start table foods, only give 1/4 tsp (just a fingertip full) the first few days, then 1/2 tsp and so on. Too much too soon can cause problems. Take it easy!

(Even the vet will tell you, when you change your pet from one diet to another, mix in the new food in gradually increasing amts, over a week or so, or risk digestive upset. And that's just going from one kind of kibble to another, not from a liquid diet to solid.)

Studies have shown that babies who are fully breastfed until 7 mos have the best hemocrits (indicating absorbing enough iron) at one year, as compared to babies who get ABM supplements or earlier solids.
#28 of 48 Old 05-10-2003, 12:06 AM

I voted that we introduced at 6-9 months since we offered cereal at about 8 months, but she wasn't really interested till closer to a year.

Jennifer
#29 of 48 Old 05-10-2003, 03:41 AM

We introduced rice cereal with breastmilk at 6 months but our daugther wanted nothing to do with it, so we followed her lead. She's now 9 months and is eating small amounts of rice cereal and pureed veggies and fruits - we just introduce a little at a time and wait a few days before trying a new variety in case of allergy.
#30 of 48 Old 05-10-2003, 02:14 PM

I don't mean to be controversial here, but if so many people intro. solids before 2 mos. (that other poll) then why don't their babies have any troubles. KWIM? I'm being so careful and it was such a heart wrenching decision to let my son try yogurt at 5 mos. (pure bliss for him ). I worried about allergies, loss of nutrients, etc. But, I followed HIS lead. So, what's up w/feeding your baby at 2 mos? I doubt they demand it. So, do moms do this to make them sleep longer? It must work or they wouldn'd do it, right?

I mean, really, why do they do it? If it didn't work, wouldn't they stop?

And, if so many moms are doing it, it can't be wrong. I know that sounds moronic , but I don't get it. Is it just the #s and that % of kids who would have allergies are more prone if they're exposed earlier but can avoid them if intro. later?

I look fwd to reading Mothering this month-diet and ADhD.

Another issue, flip side, I let my kids play in the dirt at a young age. Lots of those other moms would be shocked! But, my kids are, and will be, just fine despite the grime and germs.

: :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page