~September Babies It's May!~ - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 491 Old 05-01-2005, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thought I'd start since I didn't see one already. Last night Bryn would fall over from sitting and just lay there. He would not roll over and would whine until I did it. He knows how and used to do it a ton, but now it's not good enough? Can babies forget how to do something?

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 491 Old 05-01-2005, 02:57 PM

I don't think they "forget", but DS went through periods of time where he didn't want to sit or be on his back, etc..

I'm thrilled that Jack's finally learned to put his hands out when going from standing to all fours - so we're not having so many face-plants into the furniture & floor For the past month, he's had permanent forehead bruises - my mom said it looked like he was growing horns :LOL
#3 of 491 Old 05-01-2005, 06:28 PM

Thanks for starting this thread, Becca!

ETA: Duh, forgot to subscribe, LOL
#4 of 491 Old 05-01-2005, 07:06 PM

Happy May!!!
Ds has done things like that too and I was thinking that maybe he somehow forgot. It's almost like his development is cyclical. For instance a month ago he was chatting up a storm - making all sorts of sounds, etc... then all of a sudden he stopped doing that and at the same time he started sitting better and trying to roll,etc...now he's beginning to get chatty again. Maybe they move onto another new thing and not necessarily forget, but temporarily stop. Does that make any sense?
His lastest thing now is smacking. He smacks his highchair tray, my hands, my face. He's also into pulling my hair and his own hair (he really grabs his hair hard and yanks - I would think it hurts him but he doesn't even flinch)

Christine - mama to my 4 boys
#5 of 491 Old 05-01-2005, 08:28 PM

Subscribing...be back soon!
#6 of 491 Old 05-01-2005, 10:15 PM

We are definately needing some gates around here. Does anyone have any favorites or good sources?
We have to cover a 72" space, a few stairways and a door.
They are so expensive!!!!!! I guess not having to run around after your baby is a luxury you have to pay for...

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#7 of 491 Old 05-01-2005, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi, mamas! Just subbing for now... So tired today! It's time for naps all around, I think!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#8 of 491 Old 05-01-2005, 11:03 PM

Hey mamas!

Have a good evening all - way tired tonight...

DD1 (8yrs) + DD2 (6yrs) + DS1 (4/25/11) = one crazy adventure!
#9 of 491 Old 05-01-2005, 11:39 PM

hi mamas,
we're back from the beach.
more tomorrow.

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#10 of 491 Old 05-01-2005, 11:51 PM

rabbit rabbit!

Tristan SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT! last night. Oh, the bliss I experienced when I looked at the clock, saw it said 5:30 and realized I had just slept 7 whole uninterrupted hours. Although I do remember waking up at one point and touching Tristan to make sure he was still ok.

And today after his lunch he was getting a little whiny and so I took him onto my lap and read him stories, and afterwards I was just cuddling him and he fell asleep. Just like that. He *never* does that. It was so sweet!!

We got back proofs of our portraits we had taken and I am *sorely* disappointed. At least she hasn't charged us for them yet; she wants to do some outdoor shots as well as possibly some shots at swim class. That ought to be hilarious... but for all of the rolls of film she shot - quite a few - there are maybe 10 good pictures. Argh!

Tomorrow we are going to see Anna Banana and family! Our first mini-road-trip with Tristan! :LOL

j

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#11 of 491 Old 05-01-2005, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Jen~ How fun to see another member! It was kinda wierd getting together with the mom behind me because I kept thinking, did she read all my posts, or have I written something where she was offended? (As I do that often, I think) But still cool. Sorry about the pics. I have never cared for how I end up looking in portraits, just not very photogenic I guess.

Catskills~ Are there any baby resale shops that you can look for gates at? That's where I get most of my big ticket items.

Baby crying gotta go

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
#12 of 491 Old 05-02-2005, 12:45 AM

Hi Mamas! Happy May!

Zeke has begun eating again, voraciously. He was loving avacado and banana and tolerating apples and sweet potatoe, but then he started to cry every time I tired to feed him. I stopped for awhile, and just this week started again. He is loving everything! I started off making ice cube trays of sweet potatoe, but have graduated to old babyfood jars! He was eating four cubes of sweet potatoe at a time! The problem is that now he is constipated again. Today, I steamed some spinach and mixed it in with the sweet potatoe, to add some fiber, and I also added a few drops of flax seed oil. Any one think this will work? Any other ideas?

Here are my latest pics. Jumbled together are Zeke and Owen and Zoey, our last trip to florida, Monkey Jungle.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/celia7.../ph//my_photos
#13 of 491 Old 05-02-2005, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen-ozz
The problem is that now he is constipated again. Today, I steamed some spinach and mixed it in with the sweet potatoe, to add some fiber, and I also added a few drops of flax seed oil. Any one think this will work? Any other ideas?

]

Robin went for a phase where she wouldn't eat - but it seemed like her reflux flaring up - after a few weeks, seems like she's outgrown it.

To stave off constipation, and b/c it seems healthy and delicious, I often add to Robin's food cubes whole-grain cereal (Grind up 1/4 c. rolled oats and/or brown rice and cook with 1 c. water until thickened - makes enough for several days - she gets this 2ce a day usually, mixed w/ fruits and veggies) or plain, whole milk yogurt. Also, She loves pears - I just cook up a big batch, puree half and mash the rest (she's got 4 teeth, so the lumps are okay) - and i've heard pears have a similar laxative-like chemical to that in prunes. WHen I need for a feeding to be easy (like we're not at home or have to leave soon), I just mix whatever she's having with pears (peas andpears, green beans and pears, squash and pears...she loves it)

Also, If your bebe likes sweet potato, butternut squash is similar, yet seems to me to be juicier. Ofcourse, Robin now prefers squash to sweet potato, and it's not nearly as easy to prepare.
#14 of 491 Old 05-02-2005, 01:35 AM

Happy May Everyone! Thor really started crawling today -- actually just about two hours ago. I was trying to put him down to sleep but he would have none of it, and kept squirming to keep awake. Finally I set him on the floor and he was off!! :LOL He's been on all fours for over a month but finally figuring out how to use all of them.

I just had an Usborne book party here... anyone heard of those books? They're SO great. Really good quality. I can give anyone a link to my "e-show" if you are interested. Cool touchy feely board books, "That's not my puppy" books and books for older kids as well. I didn't want to spam the whole group, though... felt weird about "Hey, buy these books!" If there is interest I can post it.

Mama Bear -- Thor did the same thing... chatting for a long time, then becoming very silent when he learned how to roll over and did more physical stuff. Interesting!

Jen -- Tristan slept through the night.... as Napoleon Dynamite would say, "LUCKY!!" Oh please oh please I hope thor does that soon! :

Zen-ozz -- GREAT pics! I've heard pears work great for constipation as well.

Let's see if the crawling fireball will sleep now...

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#15 of 491 Old 05-02-2005, 01:35 AM

and also....

Cute Pix! Looks like a fun time! I'm jealous of thepool shots.

And also, banana is constipating.

On another note, We went back to Atlanta whis weekend to visit friends, and stayed with a couple who have a 3-month old (we're not super-close to them, but they had a bed and crib and were willing hosts...)

I knew I had very different parenting sensibilities that these folks (She was induced at 39 weeks b/c she was "tired of being pregnant" - while I fought tooth and nail against induction with my 2-week "late" babe - Just as an example of different mindsets), but I was totally freaked out by so many of their parenting choices, and felt sorry for their poor baby. I really try to not be too judgemental of other people's parenting styles (unless it's neglectful or abusive, of course) - But I understand that we all come through life with different experiences, knowledge, and we all have different realitites to muddle through. I can keep Robin much more attached to me than someone who works full time, for example. Like, I would never be judgemental about a working mom supplementing with formula, b/c I've seen how incredibly hard pumping while working is ( this is totally rambling but generally I feel that people usually love their kids and do what they truly feel is best for them - we just don't all agree on what "best" is) - But these people were crazy. They put their 3-month old to bed every night on the SOFA in a living room they don't use. They have a bassinet in their room, and a crib in the nursery, but they just put her on the sofa. God forbid she learn to roll over one morning. When she's awake, as long as she's quiet, they put her in her car seat or a swing - even if they are watching TV right next to the car seat (Which is sitting on the couch facing the TV (not the sleeping couch, though)). And, weirdest of all, they leave a bigscreen TV on, muted, in the room with the sleeping baby until they go to bed. So, for several hours, this baby sleeps next to a giant TV nightlight in a room by herself. And they put her in there next to the TV alone when she's awake too, if it's her "bedtime" (they do attend to her if she cries, though, and don't leave her to CIO - I would have intervened at that point).

I guess lots of people do some of this, it just really freaked me out. I kept going to the glass door to the scary sleeping room to make sure the baby was asleep, b/c I couldn't stand the thought of her lying in there alone, awake, beside the TV. They kept saying, Robin is so active and fun! SHe's so alert! and I would tell them that she's always been completley included in our lives - she does what we do and goes where we go, so she's very communicative and active. But, jus tlike my warnings that babies should be born when ready, they didn't seem interested in hearing me (and their baby had serious jaundice, perhaps related to the induction?). Their OB said "I don't believe in late babies" When they told me their pediatrician said they NEEDED to formula feed (when the were BF'ing well) b/c of the jaundice, i lost all tact and said "Where are y'all finding all these crackpot doctors? They're giving you advice straight out of 1970?"

Argg...I just felt so sorry for the little girl. I tucked her into Robin's sling for a few minutes, just to make her feel cuddled...

I know they love her and want what's best....they just believe their shitty docs and either don't hear or don't have any natural instincts for parenting.

sorry for th elong rant.

hope y'all's weekends were better!
#16 of 491 Old 05-02-2005, 02:56 AM

Kristin, LOVE the pictures!!!! Every one of them! Your family is so beautiful. Did you make that Blue cake? You certainly make cute babies. I love the ones at the end of Zoey swinging.

Jen, wow!!!! : I'm so happy you got such a great night's sleep. I agree with AugustineM ... LUCKY!!! and I also hope it means the other Sept. babies will follow suit soon.
(Man, that Napoleon Dynamite movie was slow and weird but pretty funny)

Becca, that's not cool that you drove right past my town and didn't come visit me. =O) We're not too far off the trip from Columbus to Atlanta. Though my dh has an interview in Phoenix next week, so you may have missed your chance! LOL

Oh, our twin club met at a park recently and The Memory Cottage took portraits…

My favorite is this one:

http://thememorycottage.photosforali...2&eventid=3332

My favorite is #81, especially when you click the “black and white” button and see the picture without the reindeer noses. It was really windy and a bit chilly that day.

If you can’t get it to work, here’s the long way: Go to www.thememorycottage.com. Click the little link on the bottom left of the page that says “waiting for your images” or something like that. Then click 4-25, Mothers of Multiples. Our babies are on page 4, images 77-81.

Yay, Thor, for his crawling milestone!!

I was going to suggest either mixing the food with a fruit or juice, or with breastmilk. Will he nurse before and/or after a solids feeding?

Egads, I am so behind on my crafting... The babies decided to alternate their cycles this whole week. I have been in a baby care whirlwind!! But oh, the joy. They are really getting fun and interactive and MAN do they guffaw at Nicolas' antics! SOOOO cute.
#17 of 491 Old 05-02-2005, 03:25 AM

Yo Becca -- YIKES!! Your visit with the parents from outer space sounds yucky. I feel for the little baby. I find it very disturbing when I see or hear about parenting like that...

msrog -- CUTE picture 81! But I couldn't get it to go black and white. I am feeling somewhat sleep deprived, though... Oh, and Napoleon Dynamite -- I thought it was HILARIOUS.... I laughed and laughed, especially at the end & the dancing. Oh my Gosh : Whenever I'm in a bad mood DH reminds me of that and I always feel better. I'm dying for a "Vote for Pedro" T shirt.

Well, must sleep while Thor is...

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#18 of 491 Old 05-02-2005, 04:49 AM

Happy May, everyone! Do you beleive it SNOWED here on the last day of April! I promise, though, not all of Canada is like this. I really am quite far north.
Anyway, congrats, Jen, on the full night's sleep -- I envy you. zen-ozz, beautiful kidlets! becca -- that poor baby.
I am finished my play! Freedom at last! Andrew was so cuddly and happy today because both MOm and Dad were actually home with him all night long. He didn't want to go to sleep, he just wanted to be carried and cuddled all night. And during dinner he wanted to be in the highchair instead of the exersaucer so he could be at our level and "eat" with us. What a cute boy.

We stood today! 3 face plants and then about a 3 second stand. Then he got all flustered and just wanted to sit. But he is now regularly standing holding on with just one hand and will walk with us holding onto his hands behind him. IT's so cute because sometimes he forgets to move his feet, and just leans his body forward and wonders why nothing is happening. But oh, man, Andrew is already eyeing up our electrical sockets and stairs. We are going to be introuble when he gets moblie!

Andrew has also done things an then "forgets" only to remember a month or two down the road. He rolled over, then forgot, then remembered, then forgot . .. I don't know when to count it as an ACTUAL milestone -- the first time they do it, or the first time they do it repeatedly. Oh well. I guess they're just so obsessed with whatever they're working on at the moment that everything else slips into the background.

Well, time for bed. Goodnight, all

Jill , mom to Andrew (09/04), Aaron(01/07), and Emma (11/09)
#19 of 491 Old 05-02-2005, 10:47 AM

DH is in the midst of finals. He has one this morning and another on Friday, then graduation! The last couple of weeks have been hard though with him studying and not doing much of anything else. Oh, well, I take that back. In order to avoid studying, he decided to learn all about soccer and had to watch nearly every soccer game that came on the Fox Soccer channel. And then last week, he decided that he wanted to learn to knit, so he spent hours watching a teach-yourself-to-knit video and is knitting away at something pink. So soccer, knitting, and studying. Though I've been quite annoyed with dh for his lack of involvement with the boys and housework, he made me smile last night. I was teaching Bradley class and I turned around to see him behind me in the rocking chair with Jackson in the Maya wrap sound asleep knitting away.

Jackson is very interested in food now and isn't choking on it anymore! I tried introducing some cereal a month ago, but he would gag and choke himself with the runniest of things. So he wasn't ready for it, but the other day I gave him some peas, and he couldn't swallow them fast enough!

Alex seems to be getting more into his big brother role these days. I don't know if it's brotherly love so much as wanting to keep Jackson away from his stuff. But if Jackson is headed for something that he shouldn't, Alex is great at redirecting him or making sure that mama helps him. One of the hardest things for Alex is that Jackson loves paper and Alex loves to read and the two just don't mix.

Very cute pictures Kristen and Savannah!

Must start working now, I've put it off long enough.

Pam

Mama to ds 11, ds 7, dd 5, dd 2, and dd born on 6/17/12!

#20 of 491 Old 05-02-2005, 11:46 AM

Thanks Mamas, for the ideas for Zeke's constipation. I diced and steamed some pears for him to play with (he still has no teeth!!!), so I will mash those and make sure he gets more of those. Rolled oats sounds good too! He is still BF on demand . . . and he hasn't seemed to change when he nurses -- which is all the time -- before solids, after solids! He is such a great nurser, which is cool because I struggled so tremendously with Owen and Zoey.

I did make that Blue cake, for Zoey's third b-day . . . But look closely. . . I forgot to put her mouth on! : hehehehe

Msrog ~ really cute pics!

We are going back to Florida on thursday. DH works for an airline and we get free flying. Don't feel too sorry for me, but it is getting old-- travelling alone with three babes. But it is my parents 40th anny so we have to go. My brothers and their wives and children will be there too, so it should be fun. Anyone live near Davie?

Yo Becca ~ I totally hear you about the parenting thing. Before I left paid employment to stay home with the babes, I was a social worker working with Early Intervention. Many of my clients were great parents, but many did the same types of things you talked about. It was really hard not to be judgemental. It started to suck away at my soul, watching these babes stuck in car seats all day, or locked in their rooms, or stuck in front of a tv all day. One child hadn't been outside in three months! I really couldn't take it anymore, and that contributed greatly to why I had to leave.
#21 of 491 Old 05-02-2005, 12:54 PM

Becca, I feel for you. I don't agree with my really CLOSE friends' parenting styles, and it's so hard.

Ashley, I saw a Vote for Pedro shirt at Dillard's. The dancing is my favorite part, too! :LOL

Kate woke up all night last night screaming bloody murder (in my ear!!) with teething pain, I'm assuming. Poor baby. Nothing seems to help these days!
#22 of 491 Old 05-02-2005, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Ashley~ Oh my Gosh, we love that movie! Sometimes I will call Hans and ask him if his chickens have big tallons. And I'm so sorry for you having to stay in a house where they treat there baby like that. It has always been sad for us when people treat there babies not like human beings, but a puppy or interactive toy to put away when you are tired playing with it. We officialy dropped our closest friends because they would do very upsetting things like spank their 18 month old son for peeing in his diaper because they are getting him to potty train. Hello! I'ts a physical development, not something you can force! They also spank and I couldn't stand there with my son while they spank his friend and be able to say something to him about that being abuse,etc. Even though we get along and camp, surf etc we had to do what's right for the kids in the long run.

I am not sure Bryn is going to be crawling anytime soon. He doesn't have awhole lot of fat and he's pretty average size, so there's not alot to hold him up. Also because he was a month and a half early he is still behind developmentally, although he is eally smart. So just behind a bit physically. Well, gotta get the kid to school adn as Hans would say, pay attention to the children.

#23 of 491 Old 05-02-2005, 01:22 PM

Becca, that's awful! They spanked him because he peed in his dipe?? Oh, that poor baby!
#24 of 491 Old 05-02-2005, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Can you belive it?! We were standing in the garage and she brought him in to dad and said he just wet his diaper. He picked him up and spanked him and told him bad baby and you don't go potty in your diaper. Hello, why do you ave a diaper on then!!

#25 of 491 Old 05-02-2005, 02:58 PM

That just makes me sick!
#26 of 491 Old 05-02-2005, 06:10 PM

Happy May Everyone! We are in the midst of a growth spurt right now. David wants to eat, eat, and eat some more. He is waking up every 2 hours to nurse. I am one tired mama! Maybe he will fit into his 3-6 month clothing finally.

On the physical front, he has been crawling for a good month and a half now. In the last 2 weeks he is pulling up and starting to cruise just a little. He also knows how to lower himself to the ground so there are no face plants. He is also sitting up better but he doesn't slow down to sit up unless he is hungry.

Christoper is potty training! I am going to be sad to see my oldest not wearing his cute cloth diapers anymore. Christopher's latest saying is "I pee potty get monies!" Stickers and M&Ms didn't work. He loves his Bob the Builder Bank!

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
#27 of 491 Old 05-02-2005, 06:23 PM

I love Napoleon Dynamite also. Have you seen this: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/ndsound.php it's a bunch of soundbites from the movie, so funny. My sister, who is 12, wants Napoleon Dynamite as her boyfriend and knows the whole dance scene by heart.

Nothing much going on here, though LaRue got her first tooth and is very cranky because she also has a cold.

My pouches are a really good way to meet other moms, and I meet a really hip mom who I've been hanging out with about every other day for the past few weeks. It's great because I'm the only person she knows who is an alternative parent so she gets to have someone supporting her for following her instincts. She gets the spoiling comment a lot, but now she gets to see how ap babies turn out, since my 4 y.o. is great (if I do say so myself).
#28 of 491 Old 05-02-2005, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeministFatale
My sister, who is 12, wants Napoleon Dynamite as her boyfriend

:

#29 of 491 Old 05-02-2005, 09:05 PM

Okay Mamas . . . I know I am really out of the loop when it comes to movies, but I have never even heard a darn thing about Napoleon Dynamite! : What the heck are you mamas talking about?!?!?!?!

#30 of 491 Old 05-02-2005, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Was it here that you guys were talking about Baby Lulu fabrics? I was just looking at Baby Bloomrs hyena cart stocking today... Look at this set! WOW!!! If I had a girl, I'd be hard pressed not to scoop it up!

Okay, I'll post more in a little while... just in case anyone actually wants to get that before someone else finds it! :LOL

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page