Well Baby Visits???? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-01-2005, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, we're not vaxing Dominic, and didn't go to our 2 month checkup becuase I didn't want to deal with the fight w/the doc. My mom is quite concerned that if we don't go fairly frequently the first year that there might be developmental stuff the doc would catch that we didn't (like hip/joint issues).

When would you guys suggest me taking Dominic in for a well baby checkup? He's almost 12 wks old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2005, 09:57 PM

Well anytime is ok. We went for a sick visit at 6 weeks, skipped 2 mos, had a well baby at 3 mos and I said we weren't vaxing so when should we come back, she said 6 mos or so and then at a year.

Or you could just skip them

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:14 PM
Banned

As strongly as many AP families feel about WBV and Vax I've given it a lot of thought and I'm doing both. I could not live with myself if something went wrong that can be prevented. Not going to a well baby visit just to make a point is, in my opinion, my opinion alone putting no judgement on anyone else just plain irresponsible. Granted, I have a doc that will go either way on vax and be supportive if you want to use medication or not. He is a great dad and very supportive. For me and hubby, better safe then sorry. My chiropractor practically had a breakdown last week when we were talking about it and I totally understand his point of view against both but I can't in good conscience skip it.

There are a lot of people who are really good at natural parenting and are very knowledgeable and confident in their knowledge. I truly respect that. It just comes naturally to me do go to all the WBV just to make sure everything is OK.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:38 PM

Welllll.... our well baby visits caught something which is not really "obvious" or "visible" (unless you're really paying attention) and IMO prevented big time developmental problems. IMO, the weight, length, and head circ. checks are very easy to do and very important (and good to have a consistent record with plenty of data points). Checking through the developmental milestones and expectations at regular intervals is important, too.

I'm not saying that you couldn't do these things on your own, though.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:53 PM

I think it's important to visit the ped regularly if you aren't vaxing just because that way nobody can claim you aren't taking care of your baby *because* you aren't vaxing, kwim? This is the reason we take our kids to most of their check-ups. I also want to have a relationship with our ped so in the event of an emergency, he really knows us and will be more likely to advocate for us in a hospital setting. He will also understand that our informed choice not to vaccinate does not mean we are against all western medicine, etc. I do recommend, however, making the very first appointment of the day as there are the fewest germs at that time. One thing I can't stand about well-baby visits is the fact that our babies go in there *wel*l and often come out *sick*
Old 05-01-2005, 11:04 PM

I don't think you have to do the WBV at all, although you will probably rest easy with a visit or two in the first year... I went at 3 months and 6 months and don't plan on another visit in the future.

I went because I wanted a ped to be familiar with me and my baby and just get the thumbs up I had a few specific questions, got a feel for the doctor, etc.... We are not vaxing.

Nancy
Old 05-01-2005, 11:14 PM

We go. I like them. I get the acurate info on height, weight, head circ. They are just another source of info -- doc, here, LLL, books, local moms. Take what seems good from each and respectfully leave the rest. If your doc is high pressure, find another that can deal with your choices.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:20 PM

We did 1 at 2 days and haven't been back. I am changing my kids Ped. We will be seeing the new ped in 2 weeks. DD will be 3.5 months. I will not be vaxing at that visit, so we will then schedule for July (6 months) and I will have both my kids seen on the same day - DD for 6 months and DS for 3 years.

For us, well baby/kid checks are important, but I don't do them every 2 months. My DS was very ill, and we never saw his ped b/c we saw his surgeon every month for the first year. The surgeon asked all the same questions and such, so, we didn't feel it was necessary. Our old ped was so nonchalant about EVERYTHING that I just didn't trust them anyway.

Anyway, I hope that helps a bit. For us, we feel it's necessary. I couldn't forgive myself if there was something wrong, and we didn't catch it.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:26 PM

Dh and I were extremely firm with both our son's Peds about what we were comfortable with, bf and intro of solids, vax when sick, things like that. Peds are more likely to respect you if you are firm upfront and show that you are informed. After that, I think WBV are essential because there can be things that you wouldn't notice like ear infections, bone issues, all sorts of things. Our first ds Ped found and EI and we had no idea he had one because he never showed any signs.

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
Old 05-01-2005, 11:34 PM

I had hip dysplasia diagnosed when I was 2 and it involved 2 years of casts, traction and surgery to correct it. My daughter was diagnosed as a newborn, wore a splint for three months and currently receives no other treatment for it. A late diagnosis of hip dysplasia increases the length and severity of treatment. Even if you don't go to every well baby visit, I would suggest scheduling a few in the first year to watch for this.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtchyhlr
When would you guys suggest me taking Dominic in for a well baby checkup? He's almost 12 wks old.
Well, we don't vax here and we skip the well baby visits. I look at it this way: As my dd's mama I would know better than anyone if she were sick or having any problems. We have a doctor that has seen Kairi once or twice and he knows he won't be seeing us much :LOL

If you're worried about hip/joint issues I suggest taking your ds to see a chiropractor. Lots of mamas here on MDC see chiropractors instead of allopathic DRs, so it may be a good option to check out
Old 05-02-2005, 10:28 AM

We went at 2 months to meet the ped and get Miles checked out. Well, he was pretty much against our non-vax decision and we didn't feel he was a good fit for our family. So, we ended up skipping the four and six month wbvs. For some reason, the past few weeks I felt I wanted to take Miles in again to a different ped just to make sure everything was developing as it should. I didn't think anything was wrong with him-he's a picture of good health and joy.

Anyway, to make a long story short, he found a heart condition which requires surgery next week. There were no symptoms, nothing to warn us.

So, my two cents: it wouldn't be a bad idea. Plus, if your babe is in good condition, then your ped will be able to have something to compare him/her to if your baby is ever sick.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:43 AM

I am reading this very interesting book called
How to raise a healthy child in spite of your Dr..

it has some interesting views on wellvisits.....It is an older book.. but one I suggest reading none the less. I got my copy through our local library

Chantal
Old 05-02-2005, 12:13 PM

Well, Molly sees the chiro every 3 weeks (and I'm in weekly) but she still does her well baby checks even though we're delaying and selectively vaxing (which my doc believes in)
Honestly, her poor weight gain was diagnosed that way and twice I went in SURE she'd gained weight and she hadn't. Everything turned out fine, but I'd have totally missed it. When she was sick last week I was astonished she'd lost a full pound.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:17 PM

:

Interesting thread
Old 05-03-2005, 07:12 PM

Joy I think you should stick to the well baby schedule. Regardless of how you feel about value of well-baby check=-ups, it will provide a paper trail showing you're not a neglectful mother. When we choose not to vax, it's IMO very important for CPS not to be able to say "Look at this terrible mother who never takes her baby to the doctor!"

Older dd and ds haven't been vaxed since 9 months but they still go right on schedule, fight with ped or not.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone's input.... I made an appt for an early morning visit on May 13

User Tag List