Jan05 Babylicious Babes - May part 2 - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-23-2005, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lisa- miss resident allergist.... I have a question. Is a very mild face rash an allergy? Luka has had small bumps on his forehead forever- probably since birth. He also has one of those stork bites there, so it's generally a little red there. Now, I noticed that the little bumps are also a teeny bit under his eyes too. I'm worried it's an allergy to something.... and the eater in me does NOT want to hear/deal with that, but it's bothering me that this little rash is not going away, but kinda spreading. any thoughts?

Annie- woo hoo!!! you're done!!!! awesome! finishing a big project is sooooo great. feels SOOOO good! you rock mama!

Andy- glad to hear Orin's going through a cute phase. may it last a loooooong time!

I think babies our babies ages are my favorites. older than 3 months but pre-mobile. they are just fun and easy and oh so squishable. Of course when they get older I love them too- crawlers and toddlers and even 2 year olds are just awesome. I being a mom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2005, 05:15 PM

oh yeah, jessica, i'd love some more diaper recommendations. I need some more and just don't know where to start. BUT.... I can't deal with those out of stock people because hyenas are after them..... and those tykies are great, but I don't like any of the other fabrics she has now...
Old 05-23-2005, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Karen, Lauren has bumps too, they come and go, I think it's just contact dermatitis. If I'm vigilant about rinsing her face off with water a few times a day (washcloth) it gets better.. but when she's sweaty or drooly or sleeping face down, they get worse.

Never did make it to the grocery today.

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:21 PM

Ann, Snap-EZ aren't particularly hard to get. There's a waiting list for customs, but she usually has a decent selection in stock. The diapers are a bit like FB, because they're front snap with two rows of snaps. The fit is a bit different; Evelyn is still in Medium FB but large Snap-EZ. The large look huuuuge, but they fit her. The Snap-EZ inserts are the bomb. Get a medium size insert with your large diaper, if you order one. The large inserts are too big for our babens.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:43 PM

Karen - are you sure its not heat rash? Its probably just a mild eczema that he will grow out of with time. Kobe had stuff like that too when he was a babe. (He has allergies though, so knock on wood with Luka) I would try putting some rash cream on it and see if it goes away. Not butt cream, but something for eczema - cetaphil, yeah thats it. Rub some of that on it and see if it helps.

Jessi- I thought snap-ez were side snappers? Which ones have colored mf on the inside and side snap. I like those.

Karen -tykies are cute. I didn't like her fabric choices either. You might want to check Lucy's Hope chest. She has lots of batiks and is always open for customs, and gets them out very quickly. Maybe I should get some of those?
Old 05-23-2005, 05:44 PM

Old 05-23-2005, 05:56 PM

OMG, can you say QUIET??? the boys went for sleep-overs and my morning has been so NICE. Luka slept and dh and I had intellectual conversation. I mean, I actually used my brain, woo hoo!
i sure do love my boys and love having them around, but this is nice.... i think esp because I didn't run to try and get something done while Luka slept
Old 05-23-2005, 05:59 PM

Wow, you guys are quick. Lots of cross-posts today.

Ann, you're thinking of Cloth-Ease. They're cheaper than FB (Snap-EZ are more), come with inserts, are side-snap, and they're well made. Lately she has limited her custom order slots, and they've become much harder to get. I got some a little over a week ago and ordered two. She stocks sometime Thursday evening; it was wee hours of Friday when I grabbed mine. They're not NEARLY as hard to get as a hyena dipe; they're available for a few hours a week instead of ten seconds a month. And I highly recommend them! Here too, order a large. It's like a one-size dipe: large fits at 3 months, and large will fit when they're toddlers. Her inserts are good, too, both the free (hemp) ones and the optional microterry ones.

Lucy's Hope Chest - we have one AIO from them, and it's excellent. It is one of the few Medium-sized diapers that still fits Evelyn well. We have a small fitted too, but it's really small, so we didn't get to try it properly. Stop it - you're going to make me order more! I wonder if she'll sew in the soaker if I ask....

Karen, lots of people complain about the print selection at Tykies. I love their prints. What can I say? I have, er, different taste.

Evelyn gets tiny spots when we don't wipe her buk and drool off her face quickly enough.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:18 PM

Congratulations Annie!! Done, move on, don't EVER volunteer for THAT again (now that you know how hard it is!!!) and sista, stay sane! I don't know how you find time for this kind of stuff, honestly!!!

http://www.gbronline.com/entomatada/...uff/index.html

Jessi - you seen this? pretty cool price comparison!

Ok, been like three hours...sorry. :LOL Take care mamas! Andy

PS - Love the Batik 4 on Pg. 2 of Hope chest and the multi on page 4 (and the brown sun and dark purpple on 6, and the green dots on 3 ... YIKES NONONONONONONONONONONONONOOOOOOOOooooooooo........

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
Old 05-23-2005, 07:09 PM

My babies are so sweet. Violet is laying on the floor playing and Makai is "reading" a book about dinosaurs who recycle to her

Jessi - since you are the resident diaper stalker, could you grab me one of those Cloth Ease diapers. I'll pp you. I always miss everything because our time difference is so far behind.

Ok, let me pose this question to you all. I've been thinking about it for awhile, and I'm not sure if I should be concerned... Violet doesn't really laugh or babble yet. She's a very, very quiet baby. She has laughed maybe one or two times, but its very forced sounding and little sound comes out. So, I looked it up online to see if that is within normal range for her age. The little chart said its not, so to try and give her a home hearing test. Well, Makai and I just spent about the past 10 minutes clapping, yelling her name and making weird belly dancing calls behind her head to see if we could get a reaction. We got nothing. No flinching, no startling, no blinking, not even a still pose that would seem like she was listening. And she couldn't see us, so its not like she was distracted by that. She was just off in her own little world - chewing on her toy. I know it sounds totally paranoid, but its actually something dh and I have been thinking about for awhile now. I vaguely remember in my post partum hazr wondering if she could hear, but now I can't remember why I was thinking that? But then I forgot about it... I dunno, I suppose I'll retest her a few more times and if there is still no reaction I'll call the ped. Sorry, I don't know why I'm blabbing this to you all. I must sound like such a worry wort

Aloha!
Old 05-23-2005, 07:11 PM

Hey mamas Quiet afternoon over here ~ B's snoozing, T's gone to the office with Daddy for an hour or two. A million things I could be doing, but I'm enjoying my baby and some quiet time.

Andy, thanks bunches! I'll keep an eye out for a PM. Oh, I hear ya about the post office! Ugh... dread it. I haven't even been there since Brynn was a few weeks old. She didn't fuss, but it is SUCH a pro-fussy place to be! Geez, *I* almost want to start to fuss waiting in line! :LOL

Karen, sounds like a nice day over there too! I love the different ages also. I remember a friend asked me when Tess was about a year old what my favorite stage is, and I said "now". And that's true ~ it's always the "now" stage. With each girl, I love where they're at in the moment and how each day is a time for new discoveries. I so fondly remember Tessa's babyhood, but I love her as a little girl so much.

Oh, Happy Victoria Day to Pam (and any other Canadians or Canadian-friendly folk out there!) This was always the big camping weekend, especially in Ontario. I hope you are having a good long weekend! It feels Worlds away here, but I'm keeping in touch listening to CBC Radio and hearing about the Queen's visit to my hometown (Edmonton). Apparently it's raining cats and dogs there!

Jessi, the rank thing is covered in a training philosophy called "Nothing in Life is Free" It's basically a non-confrontational way of reducing and preventing dominance or dominance aggression in dogs. You can give your dog all the affection and play time you want, but the key is that it is on YOUR terms. The dog does not initiate play or attention. You call the dog over and have it sit, then heap on the love . Dogs are fed after people, they don't go on furniture/beds, etc. It probably sounds a lot harsher than it is, but we've had huge success with it and have a much happier dog (seriously, she'd POUT before when she was p'd off with us!) and incredibly well behaved. A lot more fun for all of us, really. We enjoy her and play with her, and she knows that we are alpha.

Jess, love the pics! I agree, it's not how I pictured you ~ I definitely had dark hair in mind. You are a lovely family

Annie, congrats on the yearbook being done!!!! I'd love to see it, if you'd like to send it my way

Az, holy moly your MIL is a piece of work! Sheesh! I agree, you've done all you can & I would just leave it. What a pain in the butt!

Ah, B awakens! Later Mamas
Old 05-23-2005, 07:46 PM

Rain? Is it raining?
Another big one something like 175 mm in some parts. Don't know how much we got here. And we already broke our May precip record a while back with another 100 mm storm.
Oh, and our wipers have been broken since the end of April, so we can't go anywhere.

3 opihi- does Violet ever startle with any kind of noise? You might want to get her checked out...

I know this is long past with the rest of you, but I'm wondering about making a mei tai style wrap from a bedsheet... I checked out mamatoto, but I know there are some other links as well... It came up the other day when I left my maya at my sis's. I'd like to have another carrier, esp some way to get her on my back.

We are getting some serious teeth here. Those white spots are probably calcium deposits on the gum. When teeth come in, they usually form a clear, straight line in the gum (I think we're getting a lower right centre tooth). We picked up hylands tabs last week, and they're working great for us, which is good cuz I wasn't as crunchy with dd1 and we went through several bottles of infant advil with her teething :

yuck on the biting dogs and rude (still) mil's. Somedays I *wish* mine would ignore me!

I'm getting excited about my upcoming Pampered Chef party - I'm saving up for a bunch of stoneware, and we're having a mexican theme. :-)

I just checked out some new books. "Punished by Rewards" by Alfie Kohn (good but long) and Elizabeth Crary's "Love and Limits", which is short and concise but relies on rewards, consequences, and praise, but otherwise has some good stuff in it. It was listed in "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" so I thought I'd check it out.

This week is our Anniversary, but we can't go out like planned. For about half a year I was saying we were going to go to the city (where we lived until last Fall) to a mexican restaurant I like. Well, dd2 won't take a bottle, and since it's an hour and a half one way, we'd be gone for a long time. My consolation prize was a nice restaurant in our town, but we can't even afford that!

You know, tonight dh kinda upset me. I'm not sure how to bring it up, but I don't like the way he acted with dd1. She pooped her pants, and he got way more upset with her than I think is ok. It reminds me of a time when I was a bit older than her and I had an accident and I had to wash my own pants in the sink. Remembering how I felt then made me cry. I couldn't take over right away bc I was nursing dd2, but as soon as I could I traded.

I know poop stinks and no one likes to clean it up, but she's not even 3! He was giving her a hard time about the fact that she should have gone to the potty, it was all over her, it stunk, I mean his tone of voice wasn't always as harsh as it has been sometimes, but I was just sitting on the sofa crying, I tried to implore him to be gentler, but I just couldn't get the words. We've decided to take a laid back approach to swearing, but I hate it when he tells her to screw off, as he does sometimes, though *this was at a different time and had nothing to do with the potty*

I know I'm not always nice to her either, and I'm working on that, but that makes it hard to talk to him about it, I don't even know where to begin. I want him to read a couple parenting books, but he's not really interested in them...

ok vent over.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:56 PM

Really fast--Carmen's sleeping and David's munching, getting ready for a nap, too (cross fingers, ha ha) . . .

Annie, I'd like to see your yearbook, too! To work on that with two little kiddos and a brand-new baby, wow, you are amazing! And I understand your question about Violet's hearing ability. You aren't a worry wart! And if you are, heck, you're in really good company. My kiddos had their hearing tested about a day or two after they were born. They both passed the test, but I still worried for the longest time if Carmen could hear me or not. The test didn't gauge a response, just really checked to see if the ear itself worked. She wasn't very responsive to sound, and often still isn't (like you know how you're supposed to shake a rattle and the baby would turn their head? nope). And she still hasn't laughed, but makes a big breathless grin when something is funny. I decided she could hear when I realized that every time the floor squeaks she wakes up. I think she just didn't respond (and still often doesn't) because she was kind of her in own little baby-mind. Do you have a similar test you can try? Do noises rouse her when she's sleeping? Way to go for being on the ball and paying attention to your baby. You know that so many parents don't ever even consider a hearing problem until their kiddos are toddlers and aren't talking.

And neither of my babies, until recently, gave me a lot of eye contact. Even now, sometimes they just won't look my way. I wonder if part of it has to do with the fact that they might find us a little overwhelming? Or maybe underwhelming is more like it. :LOL

Andy, Carmen isn't much into rolling over, nor is David. David did roll over a couple of times when he was small, but I guess he forgot how to or something, because we haven't been able to repeat it! He did somehow roll over from back to tummy the other day, but of course he hasn't done THAT again, either. And Carmen, little Carmen has done neither. DH and I call her "the blob." She's just really happy to just sit back and chill out, thinking about who-knows-what, and making all manner of the craziest baby noises. Kinda worrisome, sometimes, but she seems happy, anyhow, & pretty mellow.

I hear her, uh-oh
Old 05-23-2005, 07:57 PM

just a quickie here:
Annie- since Violet was born in the hospital, she surely had her hearing tested (it's a state law). if no one said anything then..... However, mama instincts should Always be listened to, even the paranoid ones. after all, you are spending 24/7 with her.

Pam- yk, parenting is HARD work! maybe you and dh can come up with some gentle ways of dealing with frustrating kid behavior. I know that we try hard, but also end up apologizing a lot to our kids. sometimes insanity takes over.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:04 PM

Hi guys - real quick... Pam: hugs mama! Stuff comes up over here that brings up those feelings in me, too. My dh would never read a parenting book, just goes w/his own style, which i think is sometimes really harsh. like you, I can lose my cool, too, so who am I to say... some stuff just tickles the sad bone more than other stuff. kwim? I think just tell him that it hurt you to hear her being scolded that way...leave it at that. If he brings up the "you do it too" thing just say yeah, working on that! That's where I've been lately. Good luck!

Annie - if she doesn't startle to noise, I would have her checked asap. All it means is learning sign language early, at this stage, which would be so good for the boys anyway! Also it means that she will communicate earlier, because babies can sign by about 8-10 months, whereas most can't use vocal cords until 18-24 mos. (w/the rare kid earlier or later, 'course). If she does startle, w/out vibrations - i.e. no stomping or anything, just noise - then she's just a quiet kid, most likely. There's plenty of them around, so not too unusual. She should be making SOME noise, and if she doesn't startle I think you've possibly caught a hearing deficiency nice and early. Since there's nothing you can do to 'fix' that kind of problem, try not to get too upset - be as positive as possible so the boys take it in good stride. Big big big big BIG hugs, tho. Never easy to confront these type of things. And we're ALWAYS always always here to listen to you. 'kay?!

ok, babe is done - gotta go. Andy

Old 05-23-2005, 08:06 PM

Oh Ann. I hope everything is ok with Violet. DS was a fairly quite baby, I do remmver him laughing though (he might have benn older, his babyhood is a jumble for me) I know that he didn't do much babling or bby talk. At 2 he may have had the vocabulary of a 1 year old. He had some pretty bad speech problems. At almost 7 (9 days) he's still very hard to understand, even for me. And he gets speech almost everyday at school. So maybe she's just speech deleyed? I'd try the at home hearing test again soon and if its the same thing I'd give a ped a call. If its something serious you'd want to catch it sooner than later. Then again it may be nothing. I hope everything is ok

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
Old 05-23-2005, 08:16 PM

OK, this is bad: join Lucy's Hope Chest yahoo group and she has fabrics that are EVEN BETTER! Aaaaah! And what is more, the clothing section on her site has tons of darling things she'll make from the same fabrics aaaaaaaaah and the prices are great! And it's 15% off for $100 - I'm going to be very bad.

On to really important things:
Annie, Evelyn doesn't respond to clapping or rattling or other sounds when she's awake. She does startle at really loud noises like a pan dropped on the floor. She doesn't usually wake for loud noises, either. I figure she's a visual learner. Have you dropped a pan around Violet?

Somebody asked whether I'm this happy IRL - yep! Almost always cheerful and bubbly.

Kathy, I'm with you on the favorite stage. So far, Evelyn gets better and better every day.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:17 PM

Ok well, they did test her hearing in the hospital and it was fine, but from what I've been reading that doesn't really mean much.

I just tried slamming our big heavy wooden door behind her back four times, very hard and loud (my ears are ringing) and I got a blink, but no startle. Then I laid her down, back to the door, because I thought she might not be startling because I was holding her, and got no reaction at all. She didn't even turn her head. Next, I'm going to slam it while she's napping and see if she wakes up. I guess that will be the tell tale sign, huh? I did make her a ped. appt. for tomorrow.

Tiger - Violet is a big blob like that too. I think sometimes the little chubber wubbers tend to be like that for longer. Enjoy it - my boys were both up and walking by nine months. Babyhood goes by so fat- I'm relishing this blob stage. She can do it for as long as she wants!
Old 05-23-2005, 08:25 PM

Oh ya you ladies are bad bad bad posting those diaper talk. I actually could use some more fitteds but I'm trying to use more prefolds and flats so I can buy lots of wool but some of those prints are pretty tempting at lucy's hope chest. I bought wipes from her awhile back and they're really nice

Pam dh's can sometimes be like that, but we mamas can too. Maybe he's feeling stressed? Is dd potty trained? Or just kinda? I would just tell him how you feel unpassionatly. Tell him that you know you've been doing it too but you're trying to stop and you could use his help. Also that you're not mad at him and that you know he's trying to do his best but next time why don't you try x y or z? We've had ALOT of those types of talks here. And I've found that when I approach it like that, even if I have to wait a few days the message gets across.
Have you tried leaving parenting books around? I leave books in the bathroom with pages marked dh will look at them on his own while hes "occupied". I tell him a little bit about them but thats about it. He'll look more into books now and pop out with things from them now and again surprising me. He never tells me thathe treads them though

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
Old 05-23-2005, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3_opihi
Tiger - Violet is a big blob like that too. I think sometimes the little chubber wubbers tend to be like that for longer. Enjoy it - my boys were both up and walking by nine months. Babyhood goes by so fat- I'm relishing this blob stage. She can do it for as long as she wants!
Not always true, ds was a chunky guy and he was walking by 10mths. He was 18lb 4oz and 25" when he was 4mths old

Old 05-23-2005, 08:42 PM

I know...I just thought about that. The boys were both 20 pounds at this age. Blame my logic on lack of sleep
Old 05-23-2005, 08:52 PM

dd was young to walk, full out tackle run at 10 mos., but I don't think Ori will. He's just as lean as a bean, even skinnier than dd was at this age (the aio's we have JUST fit him now, they fit her at 1 wk), but he's just floppy and doesn't have much desire... Those books, btw, also say that baby should be interested in toys and such by now, and Ori could honestly care less. He's spun the spinny thing on his swing like three or four times, and he's done w/that. The other ones we've tried hold no interest for him. He likes his mobile, and napkins! LOL!

On swaddling: we did for a looong time. Just recently we swapped him into a sleep sack that has sleeves (which I initially sewed shut so he was truly in a sack, but Jerry didn't like that so now his arms go in the arms, but they're way too big and he just flops them around and STILL can't get his fist in his mouth...what the point is I don't know...) and a zip and no legs, just a sack. Also have one that has no sleeves, but I like the one w/sleeves better.

I do know that OT's will swaddle w/both arms in first, then one arm in, and then just the body (under the pits), and then nothing, but I didn't think Ori needed it after about 3 1/2 mos. Anyway, don't worry if he likes it - HBOTB says that some kids like it until 6 mos+.

Old 05-23-2005, 08:59 PM

My other boys were blobs.... chubby blobs and both walked at 14 months. Luka is different so far. He seems much more compelled to GO. we'll see.

Annie- I think your best bet is to just take her to the ped. Whatever you find with door slamming, you'll probably still wonder. whatever the outcome, she's lucky to have a mama like you

I forgot what else I was gonna say.....
Old 05-23-2005, 09:09 PM

Yeah, I think the ped is our best bet. I tried dropping a pan by her head, and got a blink, but no look of concern or startle, and just now I slammed the door by her head while she was sleeping and got nothin. I think I'm just freaking myselft out, she's probably fine. I'm glad the appointment is tomorrow, though!

Ok, I'm definitely getting some of those lucy's hope chest! I have to get the pink surfer one, and the purple blossoms. Right? (and the dolphin's and the batiks.... : )
Old 05-23-2005, 09:10 PM

Karen - I've been meaning to ask! How did the boys like Spanish?

Old 05-23-2005, 09:14 PM

Quote:
I have to get the pink surfer one, and the purple blossoms. Right? (and the dolphin's and the batiks.... : )
:

me too!

Quote:
I think I'm just freaking myselft out
Yup. Don't worry - w/ two brothers she's probably just less sensitive then most babies!

Old 05-23-2005, 09:36 PM

how did the boys like spanish? like from the au pair? didn't really happen. She brought them some workbooks and was teaching them conjugation. lame. I was trying to explain to her that I just wanted her to talk to them in spanish, but it didn't happen. oh well. they're still smart.

Oh, annie- you're BAD! you and Jessica! but now I have to get some for sure actually, I was planning to, and even started a shopping cart, but got involved in the baby- what? baby? is this about a baby????
Old 05-23-2005, 10:26 PM

I've just been trying to read and catch up. My responses are going to be sooo far behind.
Lisa - sorry about your dog!
oh no.......... Torin just awoke from his nap. Took me a while to read!! hi to everyone!!
Old 05-23-2005, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Yep, Lucy's is one of *those* places that was recommended to me by a mama I know who makes her own fitteds and aios. They are her favorites beyond the ones she makes for her kids herself.

Went out for dinner, fish and chips, with friends of dh's from his last job. They are my parents age and they are some of my favorite friends. They just oooohed over Lauren, and she loved them too. Fun fun fun!

Annie, good to check it out, she's probably fine, and if she's not, I'll come teach you guys to sign!

Ok Lauren has been hanging out on the changing table for like 15 min all buckled in talking to the ceiling fan. Guess I should go put a diaper on her and go to bed.

G'nite mamas!

Lisa

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:04 AM

I;m hiding in my room because the boys are doing math and forgetting everything they've learned over the past month. : it's actually Ra'am whos having a hard time right now... probably didn't sleep enough at his sleep over. i can't deal though, so I left Luka on the floor with Noam and Ra'am at the table. I miss being able to hide like this whenever i want. usually I have to hide WITH luka.... just NOT the same!

User Tag List