help for screaming 7-month-old! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-24-2005, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
is it normal for a 7-month-old to just let out loud, blood-curdling screams at random? i'm not talking about the "i'm just testing my voice" shrieks or squeals. i'm talking the kind of scream where your own eardrums vibrate so hard they hurt and your eyes water! for HOURS. she's been doing this off and on for about 6 weeks. we've ruled out physical causes so far. there's no pattern to it other than it's louder and more frequent in the afternoon and early evening. she sleeps great, naps soundly, her eating is fine. her reflux is under control, not worsening.

i'm trying to pack up the house to move. i put her near me, she'll be playing contentedly and suddenly "SCREAMMMM!" i check her, she's smiling. so i go on packing. trying not to encourage the screaming by giving the sound too much attention, kwim? she keeps doing it. i pick her up, she keeps doing it. i try different things, she keeps doing it. she seems to stop when she's done, no pattern. she'll scream and look unhappy, but no tears in her eyes (when she cries out of need, she tears up immediately). the tears are in MY eyes!

i don't want to waste "no" so i've tried "please STOP yelling" in a firm voice, then when she's making softer noises i make them right back to her, for encouragement. i've tried sign language with "shhh" finger on lips ... "mommy shhhh, baby shhhhh," whispering (sort of a "use your inside voice" thing). i've tried massage, play on the exercise ball, leg bicycles in case it's gas, meditating or doing yoga with her ... if i have to put her down, it starts again i can wear her, but not when i'm packing. but like i said, she'll sometimes do it in arms, right next to my ear *wince*

any ideas? same experiences?

treehugger.gif Willow (6) says: "Mother Earth is the mother of all mothers"

angel1.gif Phoenix (6/2011) ♥      print-n-color mandalas >photosmile3.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2005, 02:44 PM

Yep, for us it was totally normal. DD is 9 months now and the novelty seems to have worn off ... she doesn't do it all day now, or even every day ....

Hang in there!

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

Old 05-24-2005, 03:42 PM

LOL! I wrote almost exactly the same post on another board about 3 weeks ago!

The good news is that, at least for my ds, it was temporary.

I did the same thing you described... I just tried not to make a big deal out of it. If I could catch him between screams, I would distract him with another activity. Eventually he moved on to other things. Now he likes to make raspberries with his lips, which is adorable and not loud at all.

Dawn - Mom to : Jack 11/04 and David 5/08
Old 05-24-2005, 03:44 PM

We went through about 5 days of that too -- hopefully for you it will lose it's novelty as it did with us.

But just in case it's not all fun and games -- check for teething, signs of ear infection, constipation, etc.

This too shall pass -- I feel for ya though. It was the longest week of my life when we had that stage!

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
Old 05-24-2005, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

whew, i wish it would pass! she's been doing it going on and off for 6 weeks now. just the last week it's every day, though. right now she's going off every minute or so, and smiling. well, at least i know her lungs and vocal chords are very healthy!

i do love the raspberries when she's not monkey-screeching, she blows out volleys of explosive-sounding razzes, it cracks me up!

treehugger.gif Willow (6) says: "Mother Earth is the mother of all mothers"

angel1.gif Phoenix (6/2011) ♥      print-n-color mandalas >photosmile3.gif

User Tag List