My little baby= 102.8 fever - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-27-2005, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My little man had a fever last night of 102.8 and I gave him some tylenol which took it down to 101.03 and this morning he is at 99.8.

This is his first fever and I feel really bad for him. He is drooling a lot and has a runny nose. I think he may be teething and have a cold on top of it. I feel so bad for him and kinda freaked out because he is my first baby. He is acting less energetic but he still manages to crack a smile and he seems content.

How high do I let his fever get before I really worry?

Trying to build up my house, not tear it down namaste.gif.   Got 3 wonderful kids jumpers.gif  ribboncesarean.gif autismribbon.gif, blessed with a wonderful husband luxlove.gif and have the privilege of staying home full time to enjoy it all! 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 05-27-2005, 09:27 AM
Banned

My little guy had the same thing a month ago. If the fever went down, I think you're OK. We did go to the ped because it was a regular scheduled appointment and ds had the runs for a week and a runny nose and then the fever hit. It was 103. He said it generally lasts for 3-5 days. If babe is OK you don't need to give motrin or tylenol. If they are miserable go ahead and do it. You may want to have babe checked for an ear infection. That's what it looks like for ds. Magically, on the third day the fever broke and so did the tooth. But, High fever's generally aren't teething. But, I think you could get a lot of differring opinions on that.

Hope this helped. Hope you are all feeling better soon!
#3 of 5 Old 05-27-2005, 09:34 AM

My doc told me once that the "magic number" for fevers is 104.2--anything below that is unlikely to be something serious. This does not mean higher fevers are necessarily something serious, just that as long as you are below that, it's probably just a normal ol' baby virus.

Dr. Sears has great info on his website about fever...I like the way he includes "worry more if...." and "worry less if..." Just do a search for fever, there's a whole section on it.
#4 of 5 Old 05-27-2005, 11:53 AM

I let dd go 5 days w/103.5 when she was about 6 mo. It was awful. I didn't give any meds., because I wanted the fever to cook up whatever was causing the problem (she didn't get teeth 'till 10 mos). On day 5 I finally caved and took her to the clinic. They took her temp, looked in her ears, and told me to give her tylenol. yah. That night the fever broke on it's own. She's only had tylenol about 4 or 5 times, and now she's 6yo. Unless the fever spikes above 104 I would use cold towles to keep him comfortable, and keep him hydrated. If you worry, they pick up on it, so play it cool mama. When you ARE worried, just bundle him up and take him to the doc. Keep the air moist, too. That'll help his nose and throat. If he's stuffy, put eucalyptus oil in the humidifier. Good luck!!

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
#5 of 5 Old 05-28-2005, 12:17 AM

According to our chiro, anything below 104 isn't technically a *fever*. It's merely considered an elevated temp. Knowing that helped us get thru the high measles fevers - befor ewe knew what it was. The fact your babe has a fever-er... higher temp shows that their body is doing exaclty what it is supposed to do. Yay for the developing immune system working the kinks out now. Since you think there's a cold ontop of teething- I'd hold off onthe tylenol and let the body cook it. For teething, we use Herbs For Kids teething stuff- Gumomile (chamomile/clove oil soution- works great- I've tried ) Also, we used a couple times when a child was sweating out a good fever Valerian Super Calm (Herbs For Kids too-love 'em!) to help ease 'em off to sleep while uncomfy. You can actually hurt the body's attempts to cook the ickies by suppressing the inflamatory response and lowering the temp. My humble adice- and what has worked for us is to hold your babe as often as they need, try to keep comfy minus lowering the temp, and sweat it out. There was a Mothering article awhile back called "Don't Worry, Mom. I'm Just Growing." or something like that on this- naybody know where/ how to find it? It says it way better than I.

We made this switch to not medicating temps over a year ago (tylenoled 6yr ds- resulted in many repeat illensses) WE've been super psyched with the results. My 3yr ds did have one febrile convulsion from high temp. It was ONLY 102!!!! OUr ped walked us through things on the phone assuring us all was indeed well. He then explained that febrile convulsions AREN'T CAUSED BY HIGH TEMPS- but merely the temp rising high AND fast. He did just feel icky, sit down, and suddenly was hot. I temped him just moments before the convulsion too. (Good think I was holding him.)
HTH and hang in there, Momma!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page