Sept 04 mamas can you believe it's already JUNE? - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-26-2005, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, it must have worked a little b/c Kate only woke up half as many times as usual! :LOL

Ok...I've asked this before but didn't get an answer. Atleast I think I asked it :LOL . How long does the "I want only Mama, and I want her to hold me all the time. I don't want Daddy or anyone else, and Mama you better not leave the room" phase last???? Kate is so clingy. I feel so bad for dh b/c if he tries to console her in the middle of the night, she screams bloody murder and when I pick her up she immediately lays her head on my shoulder and sleeps! Yesterday, we had to go get a dryer so we left her with my brother and she cried hysterically when she figured out we were leaving. (but she stopped immediately after we left b/c I listened at the door! ) That's the first time she's cried when I left her with someone else. So, seriously...how long does this phase last. And please don't tell me until puberty! :LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2005, 12:05 PM

It worked for me too! RObin only got up 2ce! AMazing!

leomom -
when robin is in anything other thn a terrific mood, she fusses every time she doesn't get what she wants - if I put her down, give her to someone else, close a door, close the fridge, take away a tissue she wants to eat, etc. Distraction has helped some, but I think it'll contnue until she reaches another developmental mlestone - like can play/entertain herself in new ways or better communicate. But I think this is a little different than only mama will do - this is more"but I want that....."
Old 06-26-2005, 01:24 PM

Leomom -- Thor is exactly the same way that Ybecca described Robin as. He fusses (read: screams) when he doesn't get exactly what he wants now. And that could be: to stare at our chickens, to eat beauty bark, to hold my glass, to crawl on on the driveway, to get picked up, to get put down, to have ME and not daddy or nana or anyone else. I think seperation anxiety, which seems to be what Kate has, lasts from between 9-18 months with different peaks for different babies ... for some it's worst at about 12 months, others 15, others 10, from what I've read and been told. Maybe Kate is going through the worst of it.

Oh, and the plead to the powers that be worked for us too. Thor only woke twice that I can remember...

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
Old 06-26-2005, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, we need to do that more often, Tristan only woke up twice, too. AND he's taking a morning nap. AND I got to sleep in! woo! *happy dance*

Tristan will have a tantrum when he can't have what he wants or he has something taken away from him - wads of cat fur, carpet fuzz, something he's not supposed to be playing with / eating... yesterday he was fussy when I came back from the restaurant I was at with my colleagues (Thai curry ) and Jo thought he was tired but I think he really just wanted me. But he's not entered that superclingy phase yet. I have read that when babies are clingy and/or fuss when you leave but then are ok once you've left that's actually a sign of strong, good attachment. (I don't know if that's much consolation, though.) I've also read that as much as possible during the clingy phase, let your child cling. Darn exhausting. My friend left her son with me during his clingy phase and that was a LONG couple of hours because I was simply not-the-mama. He cried the whole time. I felt so helpless!! And as soon as mama came home, all was well. Like a switch had been flipped.

OK, off to go do stuff. Oh, Jo's cousin sent us another box of clothing! She just randomly and spontaneously sends us boxes of clothing that her kids have outgrown. Full of great stuff! Yay!!

j

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
Old 06-26-2005, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustineM

BTW Ybecca, loved your post on the NCSS thread re: working mamas.
:

O.k. mamas. I think my girls are on the mend and dp is home. I have to say that I am so very exhausted! M really started acting/feeling better yesterday, but R still had a fever this a.m. of about 103. Better than 105, I guess.

We came home from my parents last night and the girls and I (dp didn't get home until this a.m.) got to sleep in our VERY own KING sized bed. Ahhhhhh.

Can't think....dp is sleeping - drove all-night home from Chicago. Wish I could join him....but that would mean the miracle of getting both girls to nap at the same time....

DD1 (8yrs) + DD2 (6yrs) + DS1 (4/25/11) = one crazy adventure!
Old 06-26-2005, 08:06 PM

hello! we are also very grouchy and tantrummy around here. Like as in, <scream> why are you taking my diaper off! followed by, <scream> why are you putting a diaper on me?. Dh has been working at home for the last few days (says he finds his office sterile and uninspiring) and he's been wearing hhis headphones most of the time because Andrew is SO loud and complainy. Especially when I, say, refuse to allow him to electrocute himself or swallow large quantities of toilet paper.

Okay, so I swore I would never be one of those moms that let my child walk around and eat at the same time . . .what is Andrew doing right now? Walking around the study while munching on a digestive cookie. oh, faceplant, gotta go

Jill , mom to Andrew (09/04), Aaron(01/07), and Emma (11/09)
Old 06-26-2005, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilly
Walking around the study while munching on a digestive cookie.
mmm, digestives

:LOL

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
Old 06-26-2005, 10:45 PM

What's a digestive cookie?
Old 06-26-2005, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leomom
What's a digestive cookie?
A wonderful buttery cookie. Has a high baking soda content which is known to help digestion.

Okay he's awake again... hopefully I'll be back. :
Old 06-27-2005, 12:20 AM

I too want to know when that "Mommy-only" stage ends.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:54 AM

So I guess all this talk about periods got my system going :
It's very light, but I can tell its for real. I also had some slight cramping the other day - haven't felt that type of sensation since I was in labor! Hey, if its always this light - fine by me!

Christine - mama to my 4 boys
Old 06-27-2005, 01:15 AM

OMG - I am SOOOOO upset!!! I just watched "The Butterfly Effect" not knowing that it includes: child rape/molestation, babies dying, prostitution, dogs being killed, and the list goes on and on. I just ran out of the room with my hands over my ears, not able to stand it any longer. It is horrible, just horrible! Now I have to figure out how to get this out of my mind before I go to sleep. I feel so yucky inside! I will be so much more careful to screen my own movies from now own.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:20 AM

Hugs Sarah! Yikes . . . I can't even imagine seeing that. I got freaked out watching Jurasic Park! and forget about that, "I see dead people" movie! I was so mad at DH for renting that one!

I am sending you peaceful thoughts of joyous children, loving mamas and plain old good people!
Old 06-27-2005, 01:20 AM

sistermama!!! I too have a very vivid mind so I totally know how difficult it is to sleep after viewing something disturbing! When that happens to me, I just pray that it will leave my mind and I actively focus on something positive.

Christine - mama to my 4 boys
Old 06-27-2005, 09:29 AM

Oh, Sarah, I know just how you feel! We rented that while I was pregnant- not having any idea what it was about. What a horrible, horrible movie! I couldn't watch the end of it. I got to the part where her goes to jail. I made dh watch the rest of it alone and tell me the resolution so I could try to think of something happier without having to sit through the rest of it. Yuck!
Old 06-27-2005, 12:42 PM

Hi, ladies, I just may be able to keep up better now. Dh just installed internet at the house this weekend. Whoopee, finally!

Sarah, the end of that movie haunted me for quite some time. But one of you mentioned not liking Sixth Sense; I must say, that movie was really cool, I thought!

Anyway, we commiserate with you all on the screaming-fit-throwing babies. And I'm still having to strap the boogers down at night for them to sleep well. (2 of the last 3 nights, McKenna slept all night long in her bouncy chair. Last night they only woke once.)

BTW, that banner ad along the side for suzy's scrapbook kits is SO CUTE! The wahm that does those logo graphics is quite talented...

OK, gotta run. God bless you, every one! =O)
Old 06-27-2005, 01:13 PM

Hi all -

Hope everyone had a good weekend. I too am in the land of "only Mommy will do." Poor dh - Alex was so clingy this weekend it was startingto bug me and I would need a break for a few minutes, and when I would pass him off to dh he would scream! And then if I took him back he would stop immediately. This is not fun and I am not flattered by it - har har.

And he also has been really weirdly hyper - like trying to climb all over me when I am on the floor and pulling up and slapping and bouncing. So, finally yesterday I decided this child was acting totally nutty and so I thought I'd better look in his mouth. Lo, and behold there are THREE new teeth! : How does that happen in one day?! They are all on top, and the one to the right of the 2 fronts is already WAY out, the one to the left of the 2 fronts is all swollen, soon to break out, and there's a molar coming on the right side! Holy cow!
Old 06-27-2005, 02:38 PM

A MOLAR! That's crazy, stacey! We're all going to Ireland in Aug. and I"m just praying his molars don't pop during our trip.

We are pretty "just mommy" around here, too. He will settle for Dad if he's in a happy mood, but if he's grouchy only mom will do. But considering he used to love to be passed around from person to person during social gatherings, even a just mommy and daddy boy is pretty strange for us. He did go to one woman at church yesterday, but only to try to steal her cookie :LOL .

We also went to a barbeque last night, and Andrew decided he was a herbavore. Unfortunately all the grass upset his tummy so we had an unhappy night last night (thank goodness for gripe water). HE was also sampling rocks, and it was like every time I would get one out of his hand he would stuff another rock in his mouth with the other hand. YOu would think I never fed the child! OH, and grapes! We had a minor grape disaster because I had two clumps of grapes on my plate and he managed to swipe one and shove TWO grapes in his mouth in about a millisecond! Fortunately I got into his mouth to get them out before he choked too badly. :

Well, have a good day, all. HOpe it is as sunny where you are as it is here! Jill

Jill , mom to Andrew (09/04), Aaron(01/07), and Emma (11/09)
Old 06-27-2005, 08:30 PM

Hey all!

nothing major to report here, all's well. Mielle has been very mama centered, but it seems to be improving. She has recently taken to standing alot. So, i have been able to set toys on the sofa, plunk her in front of it and bustle about more.
However, the heat has been oppressive and I miss air conditioning. We have been going swimming a lot and that's really helped keep us cool. I'm tanner than I've been in years!

Well, gotta run, hope everyone sleeps well!

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
Old 06-27-2005, 10:14 PM

Whew. I am 5000 degrees - been cooking all afternoon. We're having family over tomorrow for MIL's birthday, and I'm taking food to my friend who had her baby. BUt hopefully I'll finish after RObin goes to bed tonight, so I'll just have to clean tomorrow!

My younger BIL is a student at GA Tech, and he doesn't have class fri-mon. SOmehow, my DH talked him into coming over this morning and watching RObin for a while b/f going back to school, so I got loads of cleaning done!

Her only-mama-will do only applies when she is very tired, hungry or hurt. But there's lots of I-Must-be-held, and most of the time I'm the onlly one here.

gotta run!
Old 06-27-2005, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
HI, mamas! I have virtually no time to read through the pages of posts, but just wanted to say hi.

The boys and I got here on the 16th, and have been trying to get everything ready in the two houses. Still not quite there yet, but the movers and packers come tomorrow. Thankfully we HAVE made big strides in some critical areas - now, to see if I can get up enough steam to keep going tonight and finish up! I also have to get us ready to fly to Cincinnati on Friday. Thankfully on that trip I'll have 3 more adults to help out! Should be a BREEZE compared to taking two boys by myself!

Iain is crawling SO well now - it's amazing how his crawl has developed just since we've gotten here. And he's intent on learning to stand on his own! That's crazy to me, as Gabriel never stood alone until he walked - not unless there was something in his hands, so he thought he was holding on. :LOL He's always been my very methodical one. Iain is proving to be a bit more adventurous.

G is having a hard time because DH has gone back to CA. I feel so badly for him. But last night he injured his ankle running in our new house (not badly, AFAICT), and ended up spending a lot more time with me and slept with me and Iain rather than going to his own bed. It seemed to be very good for him, as he's back to his normal self today. Some days he only wants my mom and nearly ignores me. I can't wait until we can all relax again!!

Okay, I have about 20 tabs open with things I need to look at after FINALLY going through all my email... I hope everyone's doing well and I will TRY to read some more! When we get back to CA on July 9 I'll be able to catch up a bit.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 06-28-2005, 03:46 AM

So I had a neat experience today attending the Seattle breastfeeding awareness rally, organized by some MDC moms, largely in response to recent idiot comments by a local TV personality supporting Barbara Walters's statement that sitting next to a BFing woman on a plane made her uncomfortable. I went with Lucy, her babysitter, her son, and another friend & her daughter. I hoped to find our own Ashley & Thor, but no luck ... if you were there, Ashley, sorry I missed you! I kept discretely going around saying "Thor? Ashley?"

The Lu-bug hd a great time seeing mommy in the middle of the work day, & all the other kids. Lotsa nice folks. I do wish it had been on a weekend -- it was hard for me to leave work to go. Glad I did though.

Loving Lucy Amelia
"light makes it better"
Old 06-28-2005, 10:50 AM

Sounds like it was a blast! That pic of Lucy in your sig is adorable. Good luck with the moving, HeatherB!

Old 06-28-2005, 11:48 AM

Thanks Almamiel!!

Has anyone else dealt with a baby refusing to drink anything (except BM)? I am trying to get Lucy to drink water &/or apple juice because she seemed to be having a hard time taking a poop, but suddenly she just waves off all liquids. Well, for drinking anyway ... she does this funny thing with a cup of water where she gets all serious-looking and shoves first one fist, then the other, rhythmically, into the water cup ... but she doesn't want to drink it. She used to love to drink from a cup and was sort of interested in apple juice from a sippy cup, but she now seems to be on a liquids strike. Any suggestions? Per Dr. Sears I am mixing psyllium husks with fruit & yogurt & she is eating OK, & I bought a suppository, but would rather just try upping the liquids before using it.

Loving Lucy Amelia
"light makes it better"
Old 06-28-2005, 01:37 PM

Hi mamas,
We've moved. Oh my gosh, moving totally sucks by the way! Ick!

So anyway, just wanted to stop in to say hi.

Lilah too is among the "only mama will do" camp.

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
Old 06-28-2005, 03:50 PM

Lucysmom -- Oh, I SO wanted to go to the breastfeeding rally. Was it fun? I'm leaving for Alaska tomorrow and just had so much stuff left to do and pack.

We'll be gone for three weeks, staying in a two room cabin on the coast with no running water (it does have electricity, though). My dad is a commercial salmon fisherman and my DH will be deckhanding for him. My sister is there, too. It will be interesting, and I'm excited -- at least I have lots of family close by with regular, um, bathrooms and stuff. One of the best things about the cabin -- it's right on a bluff that overlooks Cook Inlet and what we call the "three volcano view." It's incredibly gorgeous. My dad is so looking forward to seeing Thor... he's only seen him for a couple days since he's been born.

Anyway, I don't know if I will be able to post when I'm gone... I'll probably be around a computer sometime. Thor will probably start walking while we are in AK -- he freestands for up to 20 seconds at a time, and has stumbled around a little. Have a good three weeks, mamas!

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
Old 06-28-2005, 04:46 PM

I am SO jealous, AugustineM!!! Have a wonderful time - sounds utterly beautiful

Old 06-28-2005, 04:47 PM

Congrats on the move, Chrissy. I HATE moving! The last two times I did it I was 8 mos. preggo and can't even imagine doing it with baby and toddler!

Old 06-28-2005, 11:58 PM

Chrissy I totally agree with you that moving sucks! We moved to Charlotte when Christopher was 6 weeks old. He would sleep all day in the car and then wouldn't sleep at night in the hotel.

David is also a part of the "Only Momma will do" camp as well. Thankfully Christopher is in the "Dad only" phase so it works out that we can have one parent for one kid when both of them are hurting.

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
Old 06-29-2005, 12:19 AM

Lucy is does really great with John. Too bad she couldn't have been the baby he took care of for 30 hrs/week like he did with Jack. Jack screamed for him for MONTHS.

Lucysmom - are you giving it to her in a sippy cup? My Lu loves to drink out of a cup, as long as SHE is holding it. Same for food already....

Chrissy - glad the move is done. Did you at least get out of moving heavy stuff since you "had" to have Lilah?

User Tag List