Sept 04 mamas can you believe it's already JUNE? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-13-2005, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
FF -- So sorry to hear about your friend. I know how difficult times like this can be. What a tremendous loss to the world of mothering.

about biting -- If it were me, I would firmly say, "No biting," with a very stern look on my face, and then put the baby down and remove myself from the baby's view. I would do this consistently, every time. You can go back to the baby in a very short period of time (less than a minute), but they will get the message rather quickly.

We are packing today for our move, and I am exhausted already. Zeke has slept a ton which is really helpful, but I need a nap!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2005, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkymonkeymom
How do I strip them again?
NAKing so bear with me.

Hot water. Lots of cycles with hot water. NO detergent of any kind. And maybe a cup of vinegar occasionally to help strip the detergent out. Keep checking to see if there are any suds.

Good luck.

Remember to only use about a Tablespoon of detergent when you wash.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:48 PM

FF - sorry for your loss. That essay was very powerful - an amazingly strong, clear voice. I'm trying to figure out how to bring it and other teen-mom work into my classroom when I go back to work....It would be so eye-opening. It truly is a loss.

thanks for the biting tips. I think the put-down and walk-away could work! I'm getting concerned b/c she's been doing thisfor over a week, and it increases everyday!

We had our 9 month checkup today. Robin had a growth spurt height-wise. Percentiles: head, 96%, height 68%, weight, 19%. That's the highest head and lowest weight yet, but I was only concerned about her height dropping again, so it's all good news!

Vitamins: My ped. recommended giving robin a multivitamin w/ iron. I've been trying to look into this - Dr. Sears says peds will recommend them at this age if their diet or blood is low in iron. But they didn't check her iron. Sears also says breastmilk has sufficient iron. But Robin is nursing less than she used to - about 5-6 times/day not including back-to-sleep nursing. Her food intake is 3 meals a day - 2 servings of grain/lentil porrige, 1 serving of black beans, 1-2 fruits, 2-3 veggies, plus finger foods. oh, and half an egg yolk every other day. Are vitamins really needed? I'll post this in the breastfeeding forum also. I am happy to give it if it's needed, but I need some indication that it's needed. TIA!
Old 06-13-2005, 07:37 PM

YoBecca -- That makes me feel so good. That even after death her work can continue on, her legacy. She actually started a group called, I think, EMPOWER. It is an outreach program for pregnant teens and teen mothers. She had a whole program to be used by teachers, and it's free. I can email the group and get more information for you,
Old 06-13-2005, 08:42 PM

I'd be interested in that info too, FF. I'm going back to teaching part-time in Sept. and will have juniors. It would be excellent for them to read her essay and anything else you have. TIA.

YBecca -- Robin is an eater! Thor eats *maybe* twice a day and then his intake might be (example): 5 cheerios, one complete spoonful of applesauce (because that's all he'd let in ), 4 tiny pieces of cheese. That would be it! I wouldn't think she'd need vitamins with all she's eating, but that's just imho.

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
Old 06-13-2005, 11:23 PM

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/index.html

Great site with info on nutrition and the breastfeed baby. HTH!!!

Christine - mama to my 4 boys
Old 06-13-2005, 11:56 PM

ybecca - try mixing a little (teaspoon or less) of blackstrap molasses into Robin's porridge if you are concerned about iron at all. Good iron source!
Old 06-14-2005, 01:09 AM

FF - I'd love more info. Students never get this perspective.

Thanks all for the iron advice - sistermama I had forgotten about blackstrap molassas - that's probably the easiest option!

And I should edit my PP - that's the food I OFFER Robin, she doesn't eat every bite, for sure. I'm such the mean mama though - what she doesn't finish at breakfast, she gets again at lunch, etc. And i chase her around the room feeding her now that we've given up on the hgh chair.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:12 PM

Ok, I know babies aren't "manipulative"....but I really feel like Kate has my number these days. As soon as we go back to the bedroom for naps, she screams bloody murder. And it's a new cry that she saves for this! As soon as we walk out, she smiles and laughs!!! So I know it's not pain or anything else.

Anyone else experiencing this, and what do you do? I've been just holding her and staying in there until she stops crying and going to sleep, but it's very trying. I hope she moves past this pahse soon!
Old 06-14-2005, 12:36 PM

Stacey, When Lilah does that kind of thing I assume she isn't ready for sleep yet and I take her out of the room and let her play a little more. Then try again a little later.

In moving craziness,
C

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
Old 06-14-2005, 12:44 PM

Stacy -- can you get her to go to sleep in another room and then carry her to her room? Thor does this sometimes -- when I'm in our bedroom or his bedroom lying down for a nap, he pops wide awake and wants to crawl all over me and play. If I take him out in the living room and rock him, he's out. I have to do this for bedtime a lot too. It's like he knows if we're near a bed he's going to sleep and he'd rather play. As far as sleep goes, though, he's been doing SO much better. I've started putting him to bed later, around 8:30 or 9, rather than 7:30. It makes SUCH a difference!! He now never wakes up at 3 or 4am wide awake and playing. He sleeps until 6 or 7. It does mean that he sometimes takes 3 naps a day still, but that's fine with me.

I'm flying to ALaska alone in two weeks (with Thor). Any suggestions about how to make the plane flight easier? Ha ha....

Old 06-14-2005, 01:51 PM

Kristin! Chrissy! More movers, eh? THIS TOTALLY STINKS!!! LOL. I love it here so far, and we found this perfect house to rent immediately, but there still is no hot water and there is a huge sea of unopened boxes and the babies are out of sorts and won't nap for more than 20 minutes... And they are cranky as ever and McKenna has discovered an incredibly irritating loud ugly cry/screech that makes my skin crawl. Ugh. Run away!!! CALGON!!! Oh, and for some reason the whole world here is on a new time schedule. We used to sleep in til about 8:30 and I would stay up until 1 or 2 a.m. (see my DDDDC). Now everyone's in bed by 10 p.m. (we're at the in laws' until we get hot water) and the sun is up and so are the babies by ... you won't believe this... 5:30 a.m.!!!! If not earlier. I think it was 4:45 today. I DO NOT APPROVE. Yawn.

I like the new smileys. :familybed : : :fambedsin OK, hopefully they will nurse and sleep and quit their whining now...
Old 06-14-2005, 01:51 PM

Last night was crazy, LaRue crawled off the bed 2 times and hit her head on the wall about 3 times. We have a rail on the side of the bed so she doesn't roll off the bed, but instead of doing that, she was crawling (I think, I was sleeping at the time) to the end of the bed, in between Glenn and myself, and then would fall off. I would wake up to crying and not know where it was coming from, very disorienting. Then she kept crawling to the top of the bed and hitting her head against the wall and then crying. Oh my gosh, it was a long night.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:53 PM

FF, you are living my nightmare! I forgot to mention that all that mid-night falling has been happening here, too. Once I found McKenna screaming after a nap, face down and upside down in a square wicker basket at the head of the futon (she fell off)
Old 06-14-2005, 02:07 PM

Harmony - I'm very sorry to hear about your friend, how terribly sad.

Savannah - congrats on the moving! How hot is it? The day we moved out of Mesa to IL (July 2003) it was 117 and very HUMID since it was monsoon season. It was awful.

We are moving around the 3rd of August to D.C. We found a nice townhouse in Maryland - very exciting.

We took Alex to the swimming pool at our gym yesterday. They have several outdoor pools, and the toddler pool is about 18" deep. He loved it but he was looking around at first like, "Why are all these other kids in the bathtub with me?? And Daddy too?" :LOL He loved it though.

P.S. Harmony - we will be in LA on July 10th & 11th. Maybe we could stop by for a quick hello!
Old 06-14-2005, 02:15 PM

StacyL -- I would love to meet up with you when you are in LA! I'm going to be out of town from the 8th to the 10th, but I'll be around on the 11th.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:43 PM

Stacy I am glad you found a place to live. I miss roaming Washtington D.C. at night. My friend Bill and I used to hang out in the pubs in Georgetown or at the Hard Rock Cafe.

Maybe we can meet up with you sometime. My parents live in Northern VA so I am up there every now and then.

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
Old 06-14-2005, 07:35 PM

Do you mamas remember the Blessing beads we exchanged during our 2nd trimester????? Well, I just finished stringing up my beads.... 9 months later!!! I wanted to share the photos with you and thank you again for blessing my birth in such a meaningful way. I absolutely LOVE it!!!
hey check it out!
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/s...&x=1&sm=1&sl=1

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
Old 06-14-2005, 11:48 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Chrissy, that's what I usually do, too. I usually wait 15 minutes or so and try again and it works like a charm. But this fuss is different...and she continues to fight sleep until she absolutely collapses in my arms after crying hysterically. It's awful I think it my have something to do with my trip....I left while she was asleep... : do you think she is old enough to remember/process that??? Could she be worried that I won't be there when she wakes up?? That breaks my heart

Banana...I love that monkey tshirt! Where'd you get it??? Those beads are so cool. I wish I'd been in the group then!!! Can we do something else like that, maybe to mark our first year? :
Old 06-15-2005, 01:05 AM

: HEllo, all. What a cute smiley!

That must be crazy to have babies crawling off the bed! I would be freaked out. Andrew sleeps with his feet on me or his face in my armpit, so I always know where he is at night .

FF sorry to hear about your friend. That is a tragedy.
Wow, a lot of you are moving. HOpe all the moves go well and that babies adjust quickly.

Plane rides: I took Andrew on a plane when he was younger (4 mos), which was a less squirmy age. But I can say: bring a sling to make the airport easier to navigate. Also I found playing "peek-a-boo" with the passenger behind you is a good distraction (but hard on the arms). does thor like books? Reading was a lifesaver on the train with Andrew because he will sit quietly while he is being read to for 20 min. or so.

Also : we had first steps today! Andrew was leaning on a chair and I was sitting a little ways away, and he kept sort of lunging / throwing himself at me and expecting me to catch him (which I did). Then finally he got his balance and took 3 steps by himself into my arms! It was so exciting! He was so hyper and sparkly eyed all day I should have guessed he had something exciting planned for me today.

Jill , mom to Andrew (09/04), Aaron(01/07), and Emma (11/09)
Old 06-15-2005, 01:22 AM

Anna -- the necklace is beautiful! And so are you and Mielle (BTW -- how to you pronounce Mielle? I say it in my head like MY-ELLE, but then I thought it could be ME-ELLE. Either way, it's a cool name.)

Thanks for the airplane advice, Jill. I will bring my sling, and Thor would love playing peek a boo with someone behind our seat, I'm sure. He will sit still for, oh, maybe 5 seconds at a time. So that will be hard. But he loves snacks and I plan on bringing those, and I'm going to do a toy swap with a friend and not show him the toys until we're on the plane, so that will help too I hope. And maybe it will be a calm flight so I can walk him around the plane. He's soooo big now, wears 12-18 mo perfectly, so nursing in the seat is going to be a challenge with nobody there with me.

Crawling off the bed and banging on the wall and things like that are sooo tiring after a while. Thor tries to pull up on the wall while we're asleep. Though he hasn't done that for a couple weeks now, but for a while there it was like every night I'd look over and he'd be pulling up on DH while he was snoring away. Then he'd do this little dance thing. At 3am it is only slightly cute...

Old 06-15-2005, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustineM
I'm flying to ALaska alone in two weeks (with Thor). Any suggestions about how to make the plane flight easier? Ha ha....
I *just* replied to a post on the main forum about flying. There was some good advice in there, and I think I got all of my major safety points addressed. :LOL I'm flying alone with both boys on Thursday - praying for helpful flight attendants just to get ON the plane! It'll be and adventure. Babywearing is *definitely* made for this!

So is it me or is everything around here slower lately?

I better go join the crew... (Though G is still in his bed!)

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 06-15-2005, 12:50 PM

OMG! I just had a major heart attack! I strapped David into his high chair so he could have a snack. Then I ran to the bathroom. I got sidetracked by one of the cats hacking a hair ball. I could hear David fussing just a bit and mostly babbling. When I came back, HE WAS CRAWLING ON THE FLOOR!!!!!!! I don't want to know how he did it without hurting himself. I asked Chris and Chris told me that he didn't help him and didn't see it happen. The seat belt is still hooked together. I am going to have gray hair before I am 31.

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
Old 06-15-2005, 03:09 PM

babies taking their first steps and other babies playing Houdini in the high chair, huh???
Ds isn't even crawling yet! I guess I should be grateful b/c the apartment isn't 'baby-proofed' yet. He rolls and gets on all fours and rocks, but no forward movement...yet...
I have not tried baby-proofing yet b/c we're moving in a few weeks. Though I should probably do something...

Old 06-15-2005, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Ashley - Mielle is pronounced me-ELLE. We were lucky enough to visit them once and Mielle is even more cute in person than she is in pictures she and tristan really dug each other, too (both being reaching and babbly babies)

just waiting for this nap to be done so we can go bring mummy jo lunch!! (at 2 pm : )

Harmony, I'm very sad to hear about your friend. Strength to you...

Heather J - what else to say besides whoa!!

crazy all these babies getting around. And getting subsequently hurt! Tristan discovered today that both the edges of the end table and the undersides and cross braces of the dining room chairs are sharp. Ow.

We finally have another tooth - top front right. sorta came in during all the hand-foot-mouth hubbub and we didn't even notice. But last night he was grinding his teeth to sleep, I *hate* that noise!! *cringe*

xo, j

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
Old 06-15-2005, 06:48 PM

I have been lurking for a while but finally decided that I just have to post... It feels so good finding a like-minded group of mommies... I have been on a Mainstream board for a while now and I can't stand it anymore... there are just too many differences that I can't get past...
Anyways...
My name is Melissa and I am a SAHM, Babywearing, cloth diapering, ECing, Co-sleeping, Tandem nursing Mom to two beautiful boys named Xavier (July 16th 02) and Colin (Sept 2nd 04)
Xavier is in the throws of Potty Training and is a typical 2-3 year old... Curious, mischeivous and full of love and affection..
Colin is my curious 9 1/2 month old that is just starting to take his first steps... hates naps and love to snuggle in his mom's arms... we have been practicing ECwith him since he was 4 months old and at the moment he is on a potty strike... (well accept for first thing in the morning)

Anyways... hope to get to know you all...

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
Old 06-15-2005, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustineM

Hi Ashley -- just back from Lucy's fourth cross-country plane trip in her 9 months -- and here's what I've learned:

nurse to sleep for lift-off and ascent (if Thor will nurse to sleep; I use a boppy with the armrests on the seat down; make sure you check in at the gate to see if they can give you an adjacent empty seat, less pressure to keep the little feet and lovely head within your allotted area)

nap again at least once in mid-flight, so you can ...

keep child awake during nursing on descent -- seems to be very important to preventing pressure on the ears

you new toy plan sounds good. we also drank water from the airline water bottles/cups, played with the foil on the Oreo snack cookie package, had a first taste of Oreo (she liked), waved around the passenger safety information card, ripped a page out of the in-flight magazine, etc., etc.

Loving Lucy Amelia
"light makes it better"
Old 06-15-2005, 08:38 PM

Fun things Lucy is doing now:

she has learned to clap

she has learned to wave (kind of how you are supposed to wave if you are riding a float in a parade -- very regal)

she belly-laughs if you tickle her legs

she entertains herself by twirling her hands around in complicated patterns

she calls the dogs "'gies" (as in dog-GIES) and everyone else, including me, but especially her dad, "dad"

she kicks in swim class

Loving Lucy Amelia
"light makes it better"
Old 06-15-2005, 09:26 PM

: Hi, Paxye. Welcome! I look forward to hearing about you and your boys.

Thanks, Lucy's Mom. Good advice! I can see Thor doing all of those things. Especially waving around the safety card, for some reason. He will nurse to sleep, thankfully, and I was thinking about bringing the boppy. I did that when he was 4 mo and we flew all the way to Hawaii! BTW, Lucy sounds like she is really smart! (as all the babies are... )

Gosh, I swear he has bonked his head like 5 times in the past two hours. Ugh!! I feel so bad for all those red marks. But he just MUST stand up on EVERYTHING in sight, whether it's sturdy or not... like chairs that slide across the floor (bam), the vacuum, the laundry basket, the slippery wall, etc. etc.

Old 06-15-2005, 11:24 PM

Welcome paxye!!!

User Tag List