Forum Jump: 

Old 06-20-2005, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamiel
he'll be heading to MN tomorrow.
where's he playing? pm me if you don't want to post it publicly.

j

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2005, 12:05 PM

Sarah -

What kind of music does your DP play/sing(?) WHy can't you move to cincinatti for the month of July? We'd love to see you!

The problem w/ this family wedding is we're with the groom, but the location is the hometown of the bride's family. We're so distant that nobody's main concern is taking care of our special needs - which I get. If the groom was coming to my wedding, he wouldn't be at the top of my list of concerns. The smart solution is to not go - nobody would be mad. But there's other drama - the brde's family is very well-to-do country club folks, and the grooms mom (Who is our connection and a very good friend of my in-laws) has a poor, terribly country redneck family. So we;re mostly going to support her, as she feels very intimidated by the bride's family. Drama, drama. We'll show up dressed appropriately, make polite chit-chat, toast the groom at the rehearsal dinner, give the gift of silver, and the groom's side will seem that much more up-to-snuff. I just don't think robin should suffer for appearances sake. WHo am I kidding, she'll LOVE chldcare, esp. if there are other kids.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Becca
WHo am I kidding, she'll LOVE chldcare, esp. if there are other kids.
:LOL Mieke is one of those kids, too. We could put her in preschool in a heartbeat and she'd be the happiest kid on earth. We went to a graduation party this weekend and she immediately spied a girl her age, went over and grabbed her by the hand and announced to everyone that this was her new friend and that they were going to play. Little social butterfly.

Dp sings/plays acoustic guitar in a rockabilly band. On this little tour, there's also a lead guitar, stand-up bass and fiddle. They have great fun. In MN they're playing:
Tues. June 21- Turf Club, St. Paul, MN
Wed. June 22- Lee's Liquor Lounge, Minneapolis, MN
Thurs. June 23- The Rox Tavern, St. Cloud, MN

God only knows what those clubs are like :LOL

DD1 (8yrs) + DD2 (6yrs) + DS1 (4/25/11) = one crazy adventure!
Old 06-20-2005, 12:21 PM

Leomom -- That supernanny article was REALLY interesting. I've always felt that way when I've watched the show (like, twice). I love what he says on it being a lesson on how "not" to raise your kids!

I'm sorry that Kate (and Andrew) are back to waking a lot. Thor is too. He did about 3 weeks of really good sleep and last night he was, literally, bouncing off the walls. I tried and tried to nurse him to sleep and I could tell he was just beat, but not giving up. Finally DH tried for a while, and layed down with him on his mattress in his room. About 10 min later I heard DH go, "Ashley, he's bouncing off the walls!" And I went in and in the dark I could see Thor pulling up on the wall, free standing, then plopping back down, then crawling around in circles really fast, then pulling up on the wall again, etc. etc. DH said, "If he had a tail, he'd chase it." Perfect way to describe him! Needless to say, last night he was very restless. Poor guy. He just can't turn himself off. He woke at 6am and went back to sleep 20 min. later!

Thanks for the info about toothbrushing, Jilly! :

BTW, welcome Ecrocks! Our babies have the same birthday!

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
Old 06-20-2005, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustineM
"If he had a tail, he'd chase it."
What is it about these Sept babes?!! I don't know much about astrology, but is this a virgo thing? I don't remember M being this maniacal!

Old 06-20-2005, 12:37 PM

Maniacal is a good way to describe it! T also makes this sort of fake-laugh that sometimes lately sounds almost hysterical. I'm like.... OoooKkkkk....

Old 06-20-2005, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

I thought Virgos (Virgoes?) were supposed to be mellow and well-balanced. hm...

I don't know about Rox Tavern but The Turf Club and Lee's are well known as spots to hear decent music in the Twin Cities!!

Went to playgroup this morning. I dunno about this playgroup. Maybe it was just today. They all commiserated about birth stories. i wasn't in much of a mood to tell mine. (About the only place I was in a mood to tell my birth story was at an ICAN meeting.) That and there was nowhere for Tristan to crawl around. All of their babies are 6-7 months old, Tristan seems like a giant compared to them. But I just felt so not in their league somehow - maybe all I really have to do is remind myself that I am not as neurotic as they are!!! :LOL They obsess about everything. food, sleep, babywearing (can you believe that this mother of twins in my group has never, ever put her babies in a stroller? Ever!), etc. I'm sure I obsess about different things. Ah, well. Enough kvetching...

off to do stuff while T is napping. xo, j

Old 06-20-2005, 03:43 PM

We are having poor sleep and maniac behavior here too. DH has been worried RObin;s going to be ADD or crazy for life. BUt she has her moments of focus and quiet - few and far between.

Her new fun habit is climbing. Like, she'll climb up onto the coffee table, look around proudly and do her victory dance, then climb down. Rinse, repeat. Then she cLmbs up onto her rocking chair, then up onto the lazy boy from there - but hasn't figured out how to get down from there now. She is a nut.

I'm a virgo too. We're supposed to be very detail oriented, kinda anal - fits me to a T. I don't know about all this crazy stuff though. I'm perfectly normal
Old 06-20-2005, 04:23 PM

Hi guys! Sorry
I disappered there for a while. We moved and it took a while to settle in. Desi is cutting 2 teeth right now. She is crusing and pushing her toys along. She is finally tipping the scales at 12 lbs!
Old 06-20-2005, 04:39 PM

Hi, Cynthia! So happy to have you back !

Ybecca, I LOVE hearing Robin stories! R, too, is a climber, so adventurous and always with a smile on her face!

Jen - sorry the play date was less than wonderful. What is it about mom's groups that is so.....off? I mean, it's not like I'm much of a social creature anyway, but when I've been to various mom's group things it just doesn't seem very...real. I mean, jeez, I'm not a saint and my kids aren't made out of glass. I have my issues, I've yelled at my kids (gasp!), I don't always feel like the world's best mom but it seems like coming out and admitting to anything less than the 'ideal' is just frowned on. I think there's a lot of cultural healing/ackowledgement that needs to go on for parents... It's like we seem to think that every single fraction of a step we take is going to have dramatic impact on our childs life - almost as if we are taking the responsibility of their life away from them. Like thinking that if your kid has spent time in a stroller they will never be able to form attachments to people. Funnily enough, after I typed that I felt the need to add a disclaimor that I am a big-time babywearer...see what I mean :LOL

Anyway, enough blah, blah, blah. Again, welcome back veganbaby!!!

Old 06-20-2005, 06:53 PM

Welcome ecrocks!!!

And welcome back Cynthia! I was wondering where you were

Christine - mama to my 4 boys
Old 06-20-2005, 07:19 PM

Jen - Your group sounds very intense! Does tristan have any interest in younger babies? RObin doesn't care about them if they aren't mobile. we've been going to the library's baby classes in lieu of actually having a play group, and there's a mom there of triplets who NIPs. i have so much admiration for her for nursing 3 for 10 months. she also comes at 10:30w/ all 3 dressed cute, herslf showered and dressed, so she MUST have a nanny. Or else I Really can';t get it together.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Becca
she also comes at 10:30w/ all 3 dressed cute, herslf showered and dressed, so she MUST have a nanny. Or else I Really can't get it together.
Ha ha!!! I hear you sister!!! I can't seem to leave my house without at least an hour to get all ready!!! And the diaper bag seems to be getting heavier and fuller by the day!!!!

It has been reassuring to read about other moms dealing with some of the same issues I am... crying at night, teething and WAY too active squirmy, mountain climbing bundles of energy. I wonder if it's growth spurt time or something????

Hey, I was wondering.... has anyone in our Sept Moms group gotten pregnant again???..... just curious.

I hope you all had happy father's days, anyone else think they showed up their husbands (re mother's day)I know I put him to shame :LOL

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
Old 06-20-2005, 08:21 PM

Welcome back, Cynthia! I was wondering where you were. I asked about you a couple of months ago it seems. Where'd you move? Still in Denton?

Kate is pinching my face REALLY HARD! : How do I handle that????

I have 2 playgroups and I think they are both pretty honest. We comiserate A LOT! :LOL But I did go t a couple at first that were not for me.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:14 PM

Leomom -- you just hit your 1000th post!

Thor pinches a lot too. I have to keep his nails really short. I just take his hand away really quick and say "Owwwww! That hurts mommy!" In my most non-funny voice possible. He does it lots when I'm nursing so I have to crane my head away so he can't reach me. Usually he quits trying and fidgets with something else.

Old 06-20-2005, 10:34 PM

Hello! We were up for 2 hrs in the middle of the night last night : ! The one cool thing about it is that I got to watch the beginning of the sun rise at 2:30. I've never been this far north at this time of year before. It's pretty cool. But anyway, we are having serious night wakings here. I don't know if it's teething or milestone stuff or what, but I'm pretty tired (literally) of it.

Jen, do you live in Duluth? I grew up in Thunder Bay, right across the line. Small world..

Andrew is also a monkey-baby right now. He spent about 30 min. this morning just walking back and forth between dh and I, grinning and giggling the whole time. And he is into everything. This really feels like pre-toddlerhood to me rather than still "baby".

The playgroup I've been going to was a bit better this last week. I just decided that I would start being a bit more honest and talking about my failings and hopefully others would open up a bit too. People talked a bit more openly anyway.

Andrew also LOVES other kids! At above playgroup there is another baby his age and there was a toddler somewhere between 18 mos and 2 yrs and he just wanted to touch them and they all stood on the exersaucer eating cheerios together, it was really cute. At least until Andrew decided to use the little 10 month old as a prop to cruise along :LOL . And then later decided to corner him and grab at his face . He did much better with the 18 mos old because he wasn't scared of Andrew. I realized that I have an aggressively gregarious baby on my hands! I WILL be your friend NOW!

Oh, oh, he's getting into the garbage! Must run!

Jill , mom to Andrew (09/04), Aaron(01/07), and Emma (11/09)
Old 06-20-2005, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana girl
Hey, I was wondering.... has anyone in our Sept Moms group gotten pregnant again???..... just curious.

I hope you all had happy father's days, anyone else think they showed up their husbands (re mother's day)I know I put him to shame :LOL

We want to and are ready to get knocked up again....but no period hree
We had planned to start trying again by now, but I had totally underestimated the fertility-repressing effects of nursing. Alas....I'm sad that it's going to be hard this time around. We were very lucky that we conceived so easily w/ Robin.

And I totally showed up my hubby - better gift, a card, and the dinner he wanted (he's cheap, so he wouldn't be happy w/ me atking him out. Shrimp quesadillas were my plan, and he asked me to make *boxed* macaroni also :LOL )

SOunds like all our babies are turning into monkeys. We have pinching a little over here - so sick of fingers in my mouth and nose. The biting is the big problem. It;s been going on for weeks with no improvement. ANd it really hurts!!! But I'm trying to be consistent and firm - putting her down and saying no - that hurts! Hopefully it'll pay off soon. It's worse when she's most wound up or close to eating time.

I'm jealous of ya'll's play groups. I think there are some like-minded moms in my library group - I'm hjoping if I can get to know them well enough I can propose a playgroup. But I have a hard time getting there regularly - seeing as how I don't have a nanny . I just can't drag myself into the shower b/f robin wakes up...
Old 06-21-2005, 12:58 AM

I can't believe I hit my 1000th post and didn't even notice!

Did anyone's period get much, much heavier when it came back??? Does that last??
Old 06-21-2005, 01:20 AM

No period here yet...thank goodness

I love my playgroup. Desi has been going since she was a month old. Its an AP group that my friend started. Very cool people.

Stacey~ I now moved to Ponder, which is 10 minutes from Denton. We should try to get together sometime. I know we tried, but was unsucesful last time. What playgroups do you go to?

I totally showed Fred up for Father's day. Fred didn't get me an ything until the day after Mother's Day and we just went to his parents' that day. For Father's day I made him a shirt that said, "number one dad" with desi's hand's then it said "down" and then i put her feet on it and said "and feet" I took him to dinner and to a ball game.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:19 PM

Anna - No more pregnanices for me. DH got his "snip" a few weeks ago. We would like to try and adopt when David is 2 though.

leomom - No period yet! <Knock on wood>

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
Old 06-21-2005, 08:36 PM

No period here yet, which is nice, but we do want to get pregnant again soon, so I would kind of like to get it. Although I don't know if I would like to be in my first trimester when we're on vacation in August, so maybe it's for the best. I think it the huge amount of night nursing that's stopping it. I did a sleep log last night and we had 7 night nursing sessions in 9 1/2 hrs! I've heard (can anyone confirm) that your babe needs to be sleeping at least 5 - 6 hrs with no nursing for your fetility to come back. Is this true?

I do have a friend with an Aug. baby who is about 2 mos pregnant.

Father's day was sad around here because dh had the flu, so I couldn't cook the magnificent dinner and cheesecake that I had planned. I did give him a framed picture of Andrew to bring to his office. And we had the kebabs last night. The cheesecake will come later this week, I think. So I guess he's getting a gradual father's day.

Well, better go be productive while Andrew's sleeping.

Jill , mom to Andrew (09/04), Aaron(01/07), and Emma (11/09)
Old 06-21-2005, 10:59 PM

I had my period once exactly a month ago (May 20). That's probably TMI. But anyway, it was heavier, leomom, but it didn't last that long. This is probably going to be TMI, too, but I had REALLY sore nipples for like 2 weeks before it started, and then about a week ago they got really sore again. So I started wondering, hmmm, could it be because of hormonal changes? I read on Kellymom last night that sure enough, many women get very sore nips during ovulation and right before menses. I've also been feeling totally PMS-like yesterday and today... SUCH short temper. I feel impatient with Thor, and feel bad for it. So I keep expecting AF to show up any day, but how weird that I would be so regular this early! Kellymom says that the average time for return of it for breastfeeding on demand moms is 14 months. Woah. And then it's irregular.

Oh, and Jilly, you should check out kellymom.com about the fertility thing. She says your baby doesn't *necessarily* have to be sleeping long stretches for it to return, but it does help, and also 95% of women aren't fertile until their periods return. I'm all worried because I really should not get pregnant right now, seeing as how I'm returning to teaching and would like to teach for 2 years before having another babe. Well, I would *like* to have another right now I guess, but $$ is an issue.

Anyway, book group coming over soon, must go!

Old 06-21-2005, 11:33 PM

Hi Moms!

I've been quiet but reading most every day. Lulu's been SO active and we've had a lot going on in the family, so I haven't written.

Plus, I was SUPER crank-er a couple of weeks ago. Low and behold, I got my first period. I had forgotten how terrible PMS is. Whew. And my period was very heavy and painful, just like you leomom. Man, it sure was grand to not have all that for a year and a half. I guess I shouldn't be surprised it came back, what with Lulu sleeping through the night 50% of the time.

As I said, we've had a lot going on. You know, for me having a baby really put my body out of whack. I have had a lot of medical issues! First I had an emergency c-section (recovery: NOT FUN!). Then when Lulu was about two months old, I had lumps in my breast related to breastfeeding and had to have a double needle aspiration in the hospital (with NO numbing/pain killers, because of nursing) -- (was negative). Then I had two marathon gall bladder attacks that apparently are related to pregnancy/hormonal changes. I am now making plans (after speaking formally and informally to FIVE drs) to have it removed -- boohoo! Then (Please skip if TMI): right after I get my period, I wake up covered in blood, except I have a tampon in. It turns out, I have a massive bleeding hemmeroid!!!!! When will it ever end!! Haaaaa!

I can't believe I am considering having another one....

OK, that was so boring. Otherwise, we're doing great. Lulu is a little love. I can finally leave her playing in the crib (we use it as a playpen, we co-sleep) for half an hour while I work. OTOH, I'm also finding she's more of a handful these days. Sometimes so demanding -- must have the meal NOW. Must explore the kitchen cabinet NOW. Must climb onto the piano NOW. I struggle to keep up!

Fortunately, my DH, who is a teacher, is off in a few days for the summer. He works like a dog during the year, but summertime's the best. And he's great with the baby. His patience is infinate!

Love,

Liz

Kids. I got two of 'em.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:54 AM

Boy, do I feel bad.

My girl has a welt across her right cheek where the retractible dog leash gave her sort of a rope burn when I was walking the two dogs with her in the Ergo on my back, and the dogs got crossed up behind me like they often do, so like I always did when I was sans bebe, I flicked the leashes up & over my head to get the right leash on the right side -- and caught her poor little face in the operation. She is such a trooper -- she cried for a minute but then seemed to forget about it. But it looks terrible and I inflicted it. And now that I see this one, I think I have my answer to how two other mysterious little owies appeared, one near her mouth and one on her ankle.

Bad, BAD mommy.

Other than making her vulnerable to ill-advised leash maneuvers, though, I sure do love the Ergo, and so does Lucy. She feels practically weightless on me. She gets a big grin when I am about to put it on, and pats my arm while we're walking to express approval ...

Loving Lucy Amelia
"light makes it better"
Old 06-22-2005, 10:50 AM

lucysmom!

Have you recently gotten the Ergo? I am curious b/c I've had my eye on them. What other slings have you tried/can you compare it to a mei tai?

Periods: none here yet - I have has light spotting here and there, but nothing obvious

Christine - mama to my 4 boys
Old 06-22-2005, 11:48 AM

No periods here. Didn't have my first after M until 14 mos pp.

Poor Liz - you've really been through the wringer! What doesn't kill you makes you stronger......right?

Old 06-22-2005, 12:09 PM

Liz - Hugs! I had a tough recovery also, but I feel over it mostly now. Sounds like you have had a very tough time! It will be so nice for you when you DH can be home with you too. I hope you and your Dr/s find some solutions! My mom had her gallbladder removed years ago also.

Lucys mom - Hugs too! Robin has her horns back - twin welts on either side of her forhead. One from falling from standing and hitting a 1x4, the other a bathtub fall - she's decided walking in the water is big fun. SHe has gotten so good at falling i've been giving her more independence.

We went to see star wars ep. 3 last night - went to the 9 pm showing, nursed Robin to sleep during the previews. It was so loud, I was worried for her, but she slept until the final credits! I know, it;s so bad to take her to the movies, but Clint's parents took him to see the first star wars as a baby (at the drive-in), and he wanted to carry on the tradition. Plus, he's a huge star wars geek - it's a wonder he waited this long to take us with him!

One of my best friends is in labor right now - I called to get a recipe and got her DH! SHe's trying for a HBAC - keep her in your htoughts. SHe had a truly traumatic cesarian with her first, and if she doesn't VBAC, she'll be beyond devastated. She's an MDC-er also (NFPmom)
Old 06-22-2005, 02:08 PM

Now I'm afraid this rope burn thing on Lucy's cheek may leave a scar -- how bad would I feel then! Today it has an angry-looking scab. Doesn't seem to have been bothering her though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Bear
lucysmom!

Have you recently gotten the Ergo? I am curious b/c I've had my eye on them. What other slings have you tried/can you compare it to a mei tai?
Got it about 6 weeks ago after sounding out folks here & elsewhere about recommendations. I was considering a meitai but honestly, the Ergo appealed because it would not be difficult to learn to put it on, and I didn't want any "entry barriers" to discourage me from using it. The mei tais are much more lovely, I must say; the Ergo is plain, but I really really like it. I have also used a Maya (whence my desire for something without a learning curve -- I never liked it & neither did Lucy, probably just not enough practice) and the New Native pouch. Also have a KeltyKids frame backpack which I like for hiking.

If you decide to get the Ergo, you can order one "used" (meaning returned within 90 days for a refund, so not used much if at all) for $20 less than the usual price from myfavoritebabycarrier.com.

Loving Lucy Amelia
"light makes it better"
Old 06-22-2005, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

just wanted to post quickly, lucy's mom, some calendula baby cream (weleda makes a nice one) will heal that welt up quick as a wink.

YBecca I am holding your friend tight-tight-tight in my thoughts! She is in the same situation I hope to be in some day.

Liz: it's amazing how our kids make us forget about the nightmares we go through to have them, isn't it. is right!

No period here although I have been having fertility signs (changes in cervical mucus) and I had wickedly sore nipples for about a week around a month and a half ago, and I fully expected to bleed, but nothing happened. Perhaps my body's **** trying to get everything in synch.

I cannot believe I am sniping an auction on eBay : but there are these pants... capris... trendy... cute... and I know they will fit right because this size in this brand *always* fits. And if I don't win them, I will probably cry, because I have not had any new cute clothing in so long. Even for the outfit I wore to my friend's wedding - I went to Goodwill, which I love doing, but you know what i mean...

will we manage to bring Jo lunch today? T went down for a nap at 10 til 11. Jo has a meeting at 2. Keep your fingers crossed!!

xo, j

Old 06-22-2005, 04:28 PM

Speaking of periods... : : Lovely to wake up to this morning. I've had a period almost like clockwork since 3 months postpartum (on the day!) with Aidan and on the 26th except twice now. Today (4 days early) and I skipped the 4 months postpartum period. I've *never* been this regular in my entire life. : Aidan is a nurse on demand, exclusively breastfed (no solids to speak of yet) and has only slept longer than 2 hours at a time a handful of times. I've always gotten my period back within 6+ month with each pregnancy but it usually isn't regular. And the first few are usually pretty heavy and crampy. I've gotten pregnant with both boys when the nursing child "night weaned" or at least started sleeping through the night for at least 8+ hours straight. So nursing isn't a total birth control for me but night weaning is the fertility boost apparently.

I definitely outdid David with Father's Day. Let's see... after letting him sleep in... breakfast in bed blueberry pancakes (with fresh picked blueberries) and rudy red grapefruit juice (his favorite ). His present was a picture I painted, I did the Texas state flag using each of the kids handprints and framed it for him to hang in his office on post at the Texas National Guard Headquarters. I used Aidan's hands to do the blue field, Jack's to do the red and Tori's big old handprint for the white star. THEN I also cooked his favorite dinner. Ribeye steak, steamed artichokes, cucumber/avocado/tomato/onion salad drenched in Italian dressing, sauteed mustard garlic mushrooms and fresh garlic & rosemary bread. if I do say so myself.

Here's a picture of the painting.

Aidan was starting to sleep better and now... not so much. : Between his teeth coming in (I think we are done for a while finally) and him discovering how to pull up... he's decided to stop sleeping this past week or so. He use to go down for an almost 2 hour nap about 2 hours after he woke up in the mornings... not anymore. He hasn't taken a good nap (more than 45 minutes tops) in a week and he's back to waking up every hour over the weekend. He's keeps trying to take a late nap at 6:30pm and he'll sleep for an hour... then he doesn't want to go to sleep until almost MIDNIGHT!! We were up at 6am yesterday and no one wanted to take a nap... except me. And of course we were out late last night too so the kids sleep schedules are all off. I'm going to try to get them back on track this week.

Monday Aidan officially moved into the PackNPlay and out of the bassinet. I went to get him from his nap and was greeted with this... Hey Mom check me out! : : So he slept his last time in the bassinet. That bassinet has "housed" my brother, me, Tori (her plethora of stuffed animals for a while), Jack and Aidan. The skirt my mom made when Tori was born and used antique lace that my Great Grandmother made for around the bottom. I'm kind of sad to see it without a baby in it.

I've added a couple of new pictures to Aidan's GALLERY
The ones in the bassinet were taken Monday and the rest were taken yesterday. The newest ones are in the 5 month+ album.

Jen-
The only way I bid on stuff is to snipe... why pay more than you need to for something. I hate when I get outsniped but its the nature of the beast.

Ergos-
Check around to the different online retailers, many of them are clearancing the "old style" (which is what I have) to make way for the new ones. Which I think are mainly "new colors". Just a thought to check around for.

Okay Mr. "I dont really need a nap" is back up after a whooping 25 minutes nap. : Got to go.

User Tag List