Born in the caul - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-12-2005, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,
Anyone know any cool facts about being born in the caul (water still intact) ? Our baby was born in the caul, our midwife says it's very special & a sign of good luck. Any more info. would be great!
Thanks!
Avena
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 06-13-2005, 01:05 AM

I haven't heard much more than that. My first daughter, Chloe was born in the caul and the midwife just said that it was good luck. I did read somewhere that there is a country that only babies that are born in the caul can become midwives. Can't remember the details of that one though. I have a great pic of Chloe crowning with a bubble. Pretty cool looking....not that I go around sharing it though :LOL You don't hear much about babies being born in the caul, so consider yourself "lucky". Take care!

Tricia
#3 of 13 Old 06-13-2005, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks !
#4 of 13 Old 06-13-2005, 02:13 AM

There is the old wive's tale that babies born in the caul had the "sight". I've also heard that about the midwives, can't remember what country it was though. Mainly I've always heard it is considered very good luck.
#5 of 13 Old 06-13-2005, 02:57 AM

You're very lucky that your midwife let you go w/o breaking you water. This time around I was really wishing for my baby to be born in the caul but the midwife insisted on breaking my water because she said complications can arise from that....(something about amniotic fluid getting into the blood stream??? she said it was bad... I have no idea) but I was pretty disapointed about that because I was about to push him out and my water still hadn't broken oh well, maybe next life time

Let's see, I read a passage in A Mediterranian Feast , which is a book about the history of mediterranian food and cooking over the last 500 years, that the 'white witches' (I guess the good ones) were the ones born in the caul. They battled with the black witches in the mountains of northern Italy (i'm guessing like a long long time ago, like in the 1500s- will have to look that passage up again- sorry it's late and I just got back from a trip)...

In Asia they say that if a baby is born in the caul that it is a sign of greatness and that his/her mother must have been very flexiable of body, mind and spirit.

I, too, would like to know what other people have heard or read about babies being born in the caul.
#6 of 13 Old 06-13-2005, 03:02 AM

Two things...

1. Babies born in the caul were said to have the second sight.
2. They also were supposed to be secure from drowning, and in one Dickens novel -- I think it was either Great Expectations or David Copperfield -- the narrator's caul is sold to sailors or offered for sale to sailors to prevent them from drowning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2Chloe
I haven't heard much more than that. My first daughter, Chloe was born in the caul and the midwife just said that it was good luck. I did read somewhere that there is a country that only babies that are born in the caul can become midwives. Can't remember the details of that one though. I have a great pic of Chloe crowning with a bubble. Pretty cool looking....not that I go around sharing it though :LOL You don't hear much about babies being born in the caul, so consider yourself "lucky". Take care!

Tricia
#7 of 13 Old 06-13-2005, 04:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
WAyyyyyy off topic:
Wasn't it David Copperfield? And the caul got sold at auction many years later-- ol' David was freaked out to have it sold out from under him...

It would freak me out, too. Wouldn't it dry up? Could you even tell what it WAS several years later?
#8 of 13 Old 06-13-2005, 01:22 PM

sometimes it's called being born under the veil.i wanted my daughter to be born under the veil so much but no luck.other than special sight and good luck it's also very healthy for the baby.no bacteria can get in there until the bags break.so your baby was totally protected the whole labor long.what a special story you have.

#9 of 13 Old 06-14-2005, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for the great info!!!
Her birth was amazing, at home!
My Midwife was awesome!!! This was my 1st, my labor was 3 hours & 20 mins. of pushing (I was standing) and there she was!
She was born by candlelight & music,she was born during Bob Marley's "Could you be love" And she is pure love.

Thanks!
Avena
#10 of 13 Old 06-14-2005, 04:24 PM

My nephew was born in the caul and, although he's only 5 now, I do think tha t he's "special." He's very intense, high needs, and, I think he has second sight. Certainly when he was about 2-3 he would recall his "other mama" and "his other family" and a big car accident that they were in. It freaked my sister out, but she knew of no way he would have seen such an incident on tv or any other place.
#11 of 13 Old 06-14-2005, 04:28 PM

: I have never heard of this before...

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#12 of 13 Old 06-15-2005, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avena
Thanks to everyone for the great info!!!
Her birth was amazing, at home!
My Midwife was awesome!!! This was my 1st, my labor was 3 hours & 20 mins. of pushing (I was standing) and there she was!
She was born by candlelight & music,she was born during Bob Marley's "Could you be love" And she is pure love.

Thanks!
Avena
wow, Ellery was born after that amount of time, at home with candlelight, while I was standing up and she was born in the caul too! :

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#13 of 13 Old 06-15-2005, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaeInBC
My nephew was born in the caul and, although he's only 5 now, I do think tha t he's "special." He's very intense, high needs, and, I think he has second sight.

wow! so caul=high needs....now I get it! :LOL

I was told by a clairvoyant during my pregnancy that Ellery was an Indigo Baby! Pretty cool huh!

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page