red ring around the anus - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-28-2005, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help, my 3 month old has a red ring around his anus. He's had it since he was around 6 weeks old. I put diaper rash ointment on it and it went away off and on at first. But for the last 3 weeks, the ointment is not helping anymore. DS doesn't seem bothered by it. He's usually very gassy but happy. What can I do to get rid of the red ring? What type of ointment would you recommend?

Thanks for your input!

Btw, the diaper rash ointment I'm currently using is called "ABC Herbal Diaper Rash Ointment." My OB gave this to me when I was pregnant.
#2 of 10 Old 06-28-2005, 04:25 PM

it could be sensitivity to a food you may be eatingor the begining of teething-
either way i have always found calendula cream to work well for diaper rash. lansinohl works pretty good as well.

RN, Tree-huggin, chicken-raisin'chicken3.gif, mountain climbing, yoga attempting namaste.gif Mama to Miss Areading.gif (10) and Miss K joy.gif(8). Newly re-married wife to DHpartners.gif We're pregnant!!belly.gifExpecting our new little addition this November!

#3 of 10 Old 06-28-2005, 04:32 PM

Weleda Diaper Creme with calendula (not the Baby Cream which is a lotion). Or Burts Bees Diaper Cream. Those are the only two we ever use anymore. Awesome stuff.

You can get both at most HFS or WholeFoods.
#4 of 10 Old 06-29-2005, 02:42 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
DD always had a red ring around her anus it turned out to be a food allergy. Check out the allergy board under health and healing, lots of info there.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#5 of 10 Old 06-29-2005, 02:57 AM
Banned

There are a variety of red diaper rings. Dr Sears Baby Book describes them so you can determine if your dc has an allergy, a yeast infection, a wetness issue, etc. If you don't already have the book, I would get it or borrow it from the library. We've dealt with allergy rings and wetness rings for all of our dd's 27 mos and found the best cream is good ole balmex. Not the new lotion but the old tube. I get it at target. It has the highest concentration of zinc and less of the other stuff. It works miracles. We've tried Desitin, Weleda, Burt Bees and Butt Creme and they don't work near as well. For the allergies, of course you need to figure out what to eliminate, but otherwise sometimes they just have a sensitive butt. Ever looked at your own butt? Not white anymore. :LOL It just happens over time.
#6 of 10 Old 06-29-2005, 11:24 AM

California Babies cream w/calendula in it. Not the diaper rash cream in a tube, this is a little tub. Smells yummy too.

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#7 of 10 Old 06-29-2005, 12:16 PM

I'd make an appointment with your ped, as it could be yeast or something else that is easily treatable with a product you've not already tried.
#8 of 10 Old 06-30-2005, 12:03 AM

A red ring around the anus is a classic sign of food allergy. You may want to look into this further.
#9 of 10 Old 06-30-2005, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

We took DS to the ped 3 weeks ago. He said it's just a normal diaper rash and advised us to put ointment after every diaper change. I called back and spoke to the nurse yesterday and asked if it could be food allergy and she said most likely not and recommended Dr. Smith's diaper ointment. We'll try some of your cream suggestions, and if it doesn't go away in a week or so, we'll look into food allergy.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Kattie
#10 of 10 Old 06-30-2005, 11:04 PM

dd had that, and it was strep.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page