Janulicious July #1 - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 466 Old 07-09-2005, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ANdy, my sleep troubles are mild next to Lisa's and some other of us. Evelyn just wakes up a lot. Usually it is not because she's hungry, but because she needs to pee. During the day lately she hardly eats from bottle or boob. She'll eat solids but is too busy to nurse. THen in the evening and night she nurses a lot. Then she pees all night. Each pee is kick (thud), kick (thud), kick (thud), both legs at the same time hitting the bed. This progresses to fussy murmuring. Sometimes if I ignore her long enough she'll pee in her diaper and go back to sleep. More often I'm awake by then, and potty her and change her and then nurse her back to sleep.
DH just sent me upstairs to go to bed He says he'll bring the baby to me if she needs to nurse. but of course I had to log in here first!
Yes, we have the svan chair. It is quite sturdy, and the tray is not wobbly at all. It is easy to clean. It turns into a toddler chair and then an adult stool. It blends so well into our dining room that people don't realize it's in the room, when it's against the wall. Really, there are no negatives except the price. Ya gotta order the cushion separately, but that means you get to choose your color of cushion.

Annie, poor Kobe! That kid, and you, have it rough! I hope he gets better quickly.
and your dh is ticking me off again I'd kick his if he were in range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#362 of 466 Old 07-10-2005, 12:13 AM

Ugh. My friends officially suck. I think I need to learn to live without RL friends.

WWII was nifty, Bea had a good time, but not too much on the sleepy, so she went right to sleep when we got home this evening. Then friend calls and wants to know if I want to go get something to eat with him and his girl friend (not girlfriend). She's a detachment parent and a weekend lush and she annoys the heck out of me and I've only met her a few times, but I agree anyway. I figure by the time they come over and we figure out what we're doing, Bea will wake up, and then we can go out and I can get her to fall back to sleep in the sling. Wow I must've been smoking some good stuff. Well, Bea woke up screaming after they got here. Not sure why, but it took a good 5 minutes to calm her down. Then she got pretty happy and friendly, so we went out. Well, Girl Friend wants to go to the local steak/seafood place, which is packed, and we've got a 30-35 min wait. So she wants to go out on the deck and drink at the outside bar and listen to music, and I put up with about 5 minutes of that before I decided to go inside, sit in the hallway, and try to nurse the baby to sleep. Only that wasn't working. She peed, I changed her, tried again. Then they came in and decided to try to be helpful by crowding around her and calling her name and talking to her. Uh, thanks, but get out of my baby's face so she can not be overstimulated for five freaking minutes and go to sleep. That's what I should have said, because it wasn't getting through to them that they were not helping. I said she was just too tired and went home. : Of course, she was very playful and happy when we got home, but did go to sleep after about an hour, with almost no fussing.

Healing vibes to Kobe.

Alright, gonna try to get some sleep myself.
#363 of 466 Old 07-10-2005, 05:23 AM

Done with my 12-hour workday in the ER. Not so bad actually for a Saturday! Just nursed Torin to bed...... its now 1220am....time for me to go to bed. Read all posts but can't respond now. But, I'm sending good vibes Kobe's way. I hope you have a good night, Annie..... I'm so sorry he is sick again. Hang in there!! Give him a big glass of expressed breastmilk if nothing else works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Would he ever go for that??
#364 of 466 Old 07-10-2005, 08:23 AM

Annie- sorry Kobe is sick again

Jeni- bummer about your rl frineds

Hey guess what peeps!!

can you guess who nursed this morning?

can ya?

and who nursed 2x!

yup 2x completely!

can ya believe it?

no crying involved, she actually looked like she loved it

will it continue? I hope so :
#365 of 466 Old 07-10-2005, 08:41 AM

Laura, that is wonderful news!
#366 of 466 Old 07-10-2005, 08:42 AM

Oh Laura! That's SO WONDERFUL!!!!!!! I'm SO impressed with her, and with YOU for continuing to offer the breast!!! YEA!!!!! I sure hope it DOES continue for you both. BIG HUGS of CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! xox andy

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
#367 of 466 Old 07-10-2005, 09:12 AM

Morning Mamas! Wooooo-weeeeeeeee, I feel like a whole person this morning after 9 hrs of sleep (only one wake-up!!)

Annie, I'm so sorry to hear that Kobe is sick again. Poor fella, this is just awful! I hope that this is over for you guys SOON! Do they have any idea what *might* be causing this, or is it all a mystery still? to you and Kobe.

Laura - : this is such awesome news!!! What a fantastic way to start the morning!

Paq, sorry to hear about your friends.. sounds like they're SUPER out of touch with the whole baby thing. Isn't it amazing how babies are so in tune with their environment and how their Mamas are feeling, too? She was so happy to just be home with you again. I found that my "friends" list got a little shook up with Tessa's birth. I still remember the stunned silence on the other end of the phone when one of my close friends from my pre-baby job heard that I was "STILL????" nursing Tessa at a year. She then said something like "oh....well, whatever works for yooouuu..." with a bit of a snotty tone. Never heard from her again; guess I scared her away by feeding my child!?!? :LOL

Oh, Tess is awake. Be back later!
#368 of 466 Old 07-10-2005, 09:21 AM

Megan, the nursling goddess! :
: Laura, that's awesome!

Lauren was back to every 2 hrs to nurse last night. And it's not like Jessi with the THUNK to pee, it's nursing she wants for her throat to feel better. She'll nurse and not pee from 8pm - 2am, but pees at 4 and 6 and is usually wet when dh gets up with her.

And grrrrr to dh. I got up at 7:30 to have my quiet time. Left a totally sleeping babe w/in 6" of him, and all he had to do was cuddle her when she woke and she would have gone back to sleep. but NOOOOOOOOOOOOO he has to raspberry back at her and make noises and she's WIDE AWAKE and now my responsibility. He just doesn't get it that my ONLY time to myself is the hour in the morning when I sneak out of bed.

So sleepy! I'm soooooooooooo sleepy!

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#369 of 466 Old 07-10-2005, 10:11 AM

Sorry Lisa - I've long ago left the expectation that dh knows diddlysquat about
1. my needs
2. baby's needs
3. how to help unless specifically asked.

I'm sure he thought he was doing 'good'. Dh messes up like that here, too. A lot.

Jessi's "your line is..." might work for me I'm actually going to try that.

I do hope you get a good nap in today...3 hrs. would be good, eh!?

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
#370 of 466 Old 07-10-2005, 10:57 AM

well third time wasn't a charm but not a totally bust. (did I just make a pun? :LOL )
she nursed for a min or two before she got agitated so I ended up giving her a bottle. I think she was too distracted w/K around, she kept of looking at her and got irritated that my boob wouldn't follow her. So i kept moving to another room but K would follow, aaah oh well. Keep on trying this has been the most successful day to date so thats a plus.
#371 of 466 Old 07-10-2005, 11:00 AM

Hey Andy, do you have a regular MT? Can you get Ori on your back that way? I haven't done the BMT alone yet, but I can get Lauren on my back in my MT. I'm going to try the BMT today just for you

Laura, aaah yah distractable! What if you were to bottle nurse her and not let the bottle follow? Teach her to not wander all over while eating? Maybe she'd be more apt to hang w/your boob? Either way, thats still so awesome!

#372 of 466 Old 07-10-2005, 11:02 AM

whats bottle nurse?
#373 of 466 Old 07-10-2005, 11:05 AM

Lisa - So sorry about DH. Mine has done that a couple of times. I just put Will back in bed with him and walk out. Seems to get the message across.

Laura (and Megan) - Woo Hoo! Good Job! Way to go! I am so happy for you. Perhaps you are on the path to not having to pump all the time!

Will had another rought night, but we were at my folks for my dad's 50th birthday. Lots of people, lots of noise = overstimulated fussy and crabby baby. So he woke up at 12:30 and 2:30. Then again at 4:00 but he wanted to nurse then, so DH brough him into me and we slept for about another hour.

Lisa - We have water! Actually, there are some lakes due to dams and things. There is one built on the salt river in downtown Phoenix, that DH will likely use the boat on the most. It is a 12 foot sailboat. Not a big one, doesn't even have a motor.

Okay, DH and I are having a debate. We are going to Nebraska on Thursday and are going to take something with us that has a DVD player in it for Em. We have a long flight and a long drive, so it will be helpful. DH wants to take his laptop (pros - already own it; cons - heavy and if it gets lost, really expensive to replace) or to take a portable dvd player (pros - light, easy to transport, fairly inexpensive to replace; cons - we still have to buy it.) So, what do you think?

Better go make breakfast. We are taking Will to get his six month pictures done today. We were going to do the family pictures, but Em fell into an oleander bush and now she has a giant scratch on her face so those will have to wait.
#374 of 466 Old 07-10-2005, 11:07 AM

I think what Lisa means is that when Megan moves her head while you have a bottle, don't let the bottle follow her. That way, when she is nursing at your boob, she understands that it doesn't follow either. Right Lisa?
#375 of 466 Old 07-10-2005, 11:17 AM

Nicole, I'd go with the portable DVD. For the reasons you listed, plus I think it would be much easier to secure the portable one so that it won't fly around in a crash (MAJOR risk with a laptop there)

We're thinking of buying one before our next big road trip (: never in a million years did I think I'd ever write this line!)
#376 of 466 Old 07-10-2005, 11:22 AM

Oh, Lisa, I saw something that made me think of you this morning. Someone on the veg. thread posted a link to a great book dealing with food allergies, and I have books by one of the authors (Joanne Stepaniak) ~ she's fantastic.

Anyway, just thought I'd link you to the book. I think what they say about being able to survive & eat out in society got my attention the most

http://www.foodallergysurvivalguide.com/
#377 of 466 Old 07-10-2005, 12:03 PM

Kathy, thanks, I'm going to read it now.

Nicole, lol I was teasing, I've at least seen the "damn dam" and the lake there too

Laura, yes, I consider what you do "bottle nursing" not feeding because you give Megan all the love and fun that breast moms do too. So pretend the bottle is a boob and don't let it follow her, see if she can get the idea. She's a smart cookie, after all!

Bah, southwest has some KICKASS fares right now, http://www.southwest.com/hotfares/special_edition.html which means we might be going to DC with the ILs for BIL/SIL and nephews bday party July 30. Phooey. At least I like BIL/SIL, but that means MIL will be there too.

#378 of 466 Old 07-10-2005, 12:07 PM

Lisa - I knew you were teasing!

Kathy - I know what you mean about the DVD player. We always make comments about those who have the DVD player built into the car. Now it seems like we are going to be "one of those people" At least we are only going to use it for long trips, not just a trip up to the grocery store.
#379 of 466 Old 07-10-2005, 02:48 PM

Oh I see what you mean. funny thing is i've always moved the bottle with Megan shes always turning. I'll start keeping it stillthen! thxs for the tip! We didn't try w/last feeding because we were at the fair and no way was I gonna attempt it there.

I've also contemplated getting a dvd player for our van for long trips. But we haven't gone on any long trips so we haven't gotten one yet. We should do ok for our trip to 6 flags, as long as we bring some books she should be fine. I'm so excited to go! only 2 more weeks Larry isn't too thrilled but he'll get over it
#380 of 466 Old 07-10-2005, 03:03 PM

Hey Kathy
how r things done there? gettin a lot of rain yet?
#381 of 466 Old 07-10-2005, 03:34 PM

as usual, i'm a little behind but yay for Megan!! That's so cool...
Poor Em with her scratches! Portable sounds good if you don't mind spending the money. the laptop shouldn't get lost if you carry it on.... I wouldn't worry too much about a crash because they are totally rare
Anyone ever travel a long distance in a car with a 10 month old?? If we go back East for a while, I was going to fly with Torin and dh was going to drive..... Yesterday, we came up with this great idea about driving the Alaska/Canadian highway..... its supposed to be beautiful... but Torin would be 10-11 months by the time we left...... could be unfair........could be a nightmare...... He is just about grown out of his infant car seat. We've just been too lazy to install his next seat, we have it sitting in the living room - got it out of storage the other day.....
wonderoos users - what kind of inserts do you like???????? I have some hemp and also, the fleece ones you get free with the fbs...... any other suggestions.......
Torin slept really well last night after going to bed at midnight when I arrived home from work. He is now napping. He is so sweet. I miss him so much when I work.
where is everyone??
#382 of 466 Old 07-10-2005, 04:08 PM

Mary, I think that drive would rock... BUT you'd need to be prepared to take many stops if needed, and possibly many days

Dh wanted me to drive w/Lauren to Colorado this summer. I laughed at him.

#383 of 466 Old 07-10-2005, 04:17 PM

whoa Mary that would be a long trip, sounds exciting but could make for a cranky baby. Most definitely lots of stops would be necessary

I've used prefolds in my wonderoos

Everyone is napping now. Larry and Megan both fell asleep on the floor :LOL
I'm waiting for someone to pick up some stuff that I freecycled so no nappies for me :
#384 of 466 Old 07-10-2005, 04:21 PM

oh yeah ?
with Pam's postcard do we need to add more postage to it or would a reg postcard stamp be ok?

I noticed our PO had postcards but I thought they were lame, still haven't picked them up yet but I will dont you all worry! :LOL
#385 of 466 Old 07-10-2005, 04:27 PM

We know we would be stopping A LOT!! It was just some talk we had.... we love driving places together and taking ferries..... but, Torin is our priority!! I was thinking it would be pretty funny because with the baby and the dog, we would only be able to pack 1 outfit each!!!
Postcards to Canada cost 50 cents.....
I keep forgetting about my prefolds! I have at least 2 dozen.... need to utilize them more!!
Torin LOVES to stare at himself in the mirror!!!
#386 of 466 Old 07-10-2005, 04:33 PM

thxs Mary!

got some pics of them napping
http://photos22.flickr.com/24963938_b8afa030ae.jpg?v=0

from this morning
http://photos23.flickr.com/24963937_9a956ba427.jpg?v=0

a beautiful rainbow from yesterday, was able to see the beginning and end. Too bad we had stinking wires in the way
http://photos21.flickr.com/24963939_e2b1c08e46.jpg?v=0
#387 of 466 Old 07-10-2005, 04:57 PM

love the photos!! i love napping pictures......
#388 of 466 Old 07-10-2005, 05:30 PM

Yeah, postage will be extra to me.

And congrats Laura on the bf!!!

You know, having to stop might make that drive even better than just rushing through!
#389 of 466 Old 07-10-2005, 06:16 PM

Hey Mamas

Laura, thanks for thinking of us. It's like a monsoon here right now ~ crazy rain, and the hurricane isn't supposed to even hit our area until tomorrow night. We're not tv watchers, so we haven't been "up" on what's happening. I still think it won't hit us like Ivan did last year, but we're going to stock up on a bit of food just in case. That, and store some water in containers in case we lose our supply. I am loving the rain though, I have to say! Our backyard is like a lake right now. The red clay dirt in Alabama makes it so that everything pools. Crazy! I love seeing your pictures ~ ~ that napping one is precious

Mary, you know what? Babies will often surprise you with how easy they are to travel with. Often easier than toddlers, IMO. I'd definitely go for it!! I think you'll have lots of awesome memories. We travelled with Tessa a LOT when she was a baby. When she was 4 1/2 months old, we drove from Toronto to Edmonton on the Trans Can (2000+ miles) . She did great! Slept a lot, and was pretty easily entertained by her lights & sounds ball and lots of Mama time. I sat beside her in the backseat, of course, and could nurse her with ease. We did take breaks, but not really any more than we would anyway. Get out to grab a coffee here and there, stop to use the washroom... we just do diaper changes now! We had a blast. I love road trips
#390 of 466 Old 07-10-2005, 06:19 PM

Oh, wanted to add that we did other trips when she was older, too. That was just our biggest. We drove to Quebec a lot, throughout Ontario, into NY State quite a bit and to NYC. I remember before we did the biggie to Edmonton we did a practice run or two, and it gave us a good idea of what to expect. Maybe take a couple of day trips?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page