Janulicious July #1 - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 466 Old 07-07-2005, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
JUst wanted to say that I would *love* to get away for a little while, and have been trying, but I just can't seem to get dh to make that jump.

Oh, and my kitty is getting put down in the next hour or so. Well, my parents; kitty. They had to make this very hard decision. He's barely conscious right now, he went blind a couple weeks ago and his arthritis is so bad he couldn't walk anymore. He's 19 1/2, we've had him since I was six.
#242 of 466 Old 07-07-2005, 12:14 PM

Pam, I'm sorry about Velvet. May she pass peacefully.
#243 of 466 Old 07-07-2005, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Pam, sorry for Velvet. It sounds like she had a good, long life.

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up on the London mess. I had just come over here first today without glancing at the headlines.
so now we're depending on Babylicious for all our news.

It is sad about the bombings. They talked about them on NPR this morning. It is sad that so much hate and anger exists in the world. Those people need to kiss more babies.
#244 of 466 Old 07-07-2005, 12:59 PM

Yikes...I'm only on page 2.

We're back from SF. Lots of fun. Very hard to travel with 2. Both girls got sick. Ruby saw fireworks for the first time. She was way impressed.

And I wish I could live in SF. Such a beautiful city.

Hope everyone had a good weekend. Back later!

Jess
#245 of 466 Old 07-07-2005, 01:00 PM

OH NO Pam

#246 of 466 Old 07-07-2005, 01:11 PM

Pam its always so hard to let go of our furry family

I hadn't heard abouthe London bombings butthe news is on in 5 minutes so I'm sure I'll find out when I putthe tv on

Going out without the baby. I've done it a few times and it hasn't been too bad. I'm sure it helps that dh and I were having lunch at the restaurant a 2 minure walk from the house, with a cell phone :LOL

I've been having a really down few days. I seem to be on a downward slope having more bad days than good days Annie, I hope I'm not being too personal but you said you have an anxiety drug that was ok to take while nursing. Could you tell me the name of it? I'd like to ask my dr about it

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#247 of 466 Old 07-07-2005, 02:00 PM

Scarlet fever is the same as strep throat, just with the additional symptom of a rash. My brother had it a couple of times when we were kids, but he had strep at least once a year. I seem to be immune, as I never caught it, even when we shared a room.

I've been away from Kaia 6 times. Twice to run to the corner to buy strawberries (daddy), twice to go pick up my aunt from 4 blocks away (grandma), and twice I had to leave her with my brother in the hospital lobby to visit my aunt in the 7th floor ICU. I do occaisionally pay a neighbor kid (12yo) to come over and play with her while I do chores, but I am always nearby. Kaia is very much an in arms baby, never wants to be down for more than 10 min or so.

Pam, I am so sorry about your cat! It's so hard when that time comes. We lost our 16 year old german shepherd last year. We had her creamated and then her ashes got stolen when my mom's house was burglarized. (they were in a pretty cedar box with a little lock. My mom was so bitter... the dogs ashes came back in this pretty box, and my dad's came in cardboard)

Annie, I'm holding up ok most of the time. I enjoy the travel, actually. I get lonely with dh working 12-14 hour days 6 days a week, and so I like being down at mom's. I had a strong gut feeling that my aunt would be ok the whole time, so I managed through most of it. With Grandma, I really was worried, but then I kind of felt this... shift. And a couplehours later her own dr came down to see her and said she was going to be ok (ok, she's 91 with cardiac problems, so not ok, ok, but she's not in imminent danger.) after the yayhoo resident who was talking pallative care and DNR orders said there was nothing he could do, and that she clearly did not have pneumonia because her WBC count was too low. Her white count tripled in the last week. That says infection to me and I'm not a medical professional of any sort. Aunt Jan's illness hit her very hard. It was like "ok she's home safe, now I can collapse." But she's holding on.

Jess, I love SF too. I grew up out that way. I miss it. Rainbow grocery is like heaven for me. :LOL And I love the beach, and the Artemis statue at Sutro Heights and twin peaks and and and. OK, yeah.
#248 of 466 Old 07-07-2005, 02:13 PM

Pam - sorry about your kitty.......
Andy - wow..... your blog was so moving, it knocked me out of the denial I am in this morning about the violence in our world. We don't have a tv so I don't have to see it in my face all of the time. I knew 3 people who died in the WTC and they all had little children (under5). One was an ex-boyfriend I lived with for a short time. I just was devastated for their children and wives. I think I am going to light a candle today and reflect a little........I have always been against violence and used to belong to a peace group which I haven't been involved in for a while. Sometimes, I feel guilty when I think of what I have not been doing. But, other times, I feel as if our country is headed in a direction that I don't like and I have lost hope about doing anything to stop it. But, then again, I think of Margaret Mead's quote, "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, its the only thing that ever has".
Nicole - all of the docs I work with in the ER say infancy is the BEST time to be exposed to and to GET chicken pox. They agree the immunity from exposure is much better than the vax. They also don't really get it too badly. Your dh is another story - as an adult, it can be a little more severe. But, often times, adults have been exposed and have immunities they are unaware of.
Ezzo!!!!!!!!!!! Someone actually passed that book on to me when I was pregnant along with a bunch of other useful items. I didn't know anything about Ezzo so I started reading it and I freaked out! I had a sick feeling and threw the book in the garbage (I NEVER throw books out) because I didn't want someone else to read it - EVER!!!
Blog - I have a written journal I keep for Torin. I love looking back on it already!!! I should blog but you guys already know how bad I am about getting on MDC!!
Az - sorry you are feeling down. I hope you can find something that works for you...... glad you come here though!!
#249 of 466 Old 07-07-2005, 02:53 PM

Sheri! I know how those low days can feel like they draaaaaaag on, drag you down, they're just a drag. I think it's great that you're looking for ways to get through it.

and to Pam, too. I am not a cat lover, but I am a big pet lover. When my doggie died of cancer (about 5 yrs ago) I was so sad for a week or more. It's sad...

I did write a nice poem in my blog about the bombing.

And Yah, I get my news here too! I have Beca around all the time now, so I can't watch the news. I switched onto the Yahoo front page for a moment and got the gist of it... it's enough to make me seriously sick at heart.

for all those poor families...

'kay, caio mamas. I've got k i d s here out the wazoo!

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
#250 of 466 Old 07-07-2005, 03:00 PM

you know i was really looking forward to A spending the day with my dad and stepmom... but it didn't work out (dad has a builtin car seat but forgot that car is getting fixed...) now all the hopes and plans for today are gone.
#251 of 466 Old 07-07-2005, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Pam! Bummer. I'm sorry your nice easy day is ruined. Can your dad come play with Abby?

Bunches, I love the picture a few pages back. You're strong to hold Torin in the Baby Bjorn - that thing kills my back now that Evelyn is so big.
If you like Fuzzi Bunz, go with them. They're good diapers, with excellent resale value.
#252 of 466 Old 07-07-2005, 03:21 PM

Thanks for the diaper advice. fb's are easy for us.....I'm just proud I've switched over to cd completely now - thanks to the inspiration of all of you Mamas!
On the Bjorn, I hardly use it as it is dh's but actually, its fine for my back.... better than my Ergo carrier.
Andy - I read your poem and it should be published - its so good......
#253 of 466 Old 07-07-2005, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Famous people poll: my 2nd cousin Melana was Miss Missouri a few years ago, and then she was the chick on "Average Joe." I don't know her well, but we were at her house for my 16th bday and I remember that she and her brother were arguing over who had the better six-pack abs.
#254 of 466 Old 07-07-2005, 03:54 PM

Famous people poll ~ well, not too many! I met Henry Winkler (the Fonz!) when I was in LA. I was 16, and it was at a taping for some show. Lame

Only a true-blue Canuck would know these two, but DH and I met Dakota House (North of 60 and alleged girlfriend beater... ugh) when we lived in Edmonton. He was across the street from the Court House (go figure!) When we lived in Toronto, we met Graham Greene and David Suzuki. Woo hoooooooo!

My parents' best friends are cousins to Mark Messier, and they met him once at a bbq. I ran into Paul Coffey buying M&M's at a convenience store, too! Yes, coming from Edmonton, we were rather keen hockey fans :LOL
#255 of 466 Old 07-07-2005, 04:03 PM

Oh Annie, I've done that too - looked in the carseat and gone "OHMYGOD I FORGOT THE BABY AT THE STORE!" and then I take a deep breath. Kind of like when I stopped wearing my wedding rings and I'd go to play with them and they weren't there.. heart skips a beat and then it dawns on me what is really happening.

Nicole, stayin healthy vibes to you guys!

Pam, poor kitty! But best for him, I'm sure.

Mary, oooh I wanna know more about that job - I want to show dh it! Got any info? He can't apply for it, he's not far enough in his training, so he won't be competition for your dh

Yes, I depend on Janulicious for my news. I haven't turned on the tv in a while (although I got some movies at the library yesterday) and I listen to XM in the car, so I had no clue. I asked dh "what was up with London" and he was all freaked that I didn't know. I must admit, I really like living in my protected world now.

Jessi - lol, my dh's boss's wife is a former Mrs. Illinois. Never even thought of her as "fameous"

Went swimming this morning with Lauren, she's crashed hard now, and the bed is still up. I think when she wakes I will feed her and then let her roll on the floor while I dismantle the bed. It MUST get moved to the floor. I can't have her falling again.

We had a rough night again, I think she MUST be snuggled now to sleep, which is ok until she wiggles and wakes me up. Maybe I can get used to the wiggles if I keep snuggling her?

Had lunch (turkey sandwich and cake) and a friend from college stopped over for a while, he was in town for a deposition and had time to spare. Nice guy. Nice family. They are very crunchy too - his parents are somatic studies profs at Ohio State, his wife is a homebirthing crunchy mama, and his MIL is a midwife from Canada. I like them a lot.

Going to go potty and relax for a few, I'm sure Lauren will be up soon, she's slept for 3 hrs now.

Lisa

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#256 of 466 Old 07-07-2005, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa
Jessi - lol, my dh's boss's wife is a former Mrs. Illinois. Never even thought of her as "fameous"
Miss Missouri was neat, but in "Average Joe" she was on national TV for however-many episodes there were. Her name is Melana - does that make our nurses say "ew?"
#257 of 466 Old 07-07-2005, 07:44 PM

Hey where is everyone today? Very quiet!

Dh and I just had a fit pitching session that probably scared the neighbors. Lauren didn't go down for her nap so I figured I'd take advantage of the awake time to get him to help me take the bed off the frame to the floor. Well as soon as I started he got all witchy about it and then Lauren got fussy and he got pissed about that too, and he's just being a dumbass today.

So the bed is to the floor, it's a foot or more lower now, and I'm feeling better about her not falling as far. Next up I have to lower the crib because I think it will go low enough to be the same height as the bed is now, which would be cool to have the extra space still.

I'm hungry. Maybe I'll eat cake.

Lisa

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#258 of 466 Old 07-07-2005, 07:50 PM

Was kinda wondering that myself. I just had a couple of graham crackers with pbj on them. Yum.
#259 of 466 Old 07-07-2005, 08:19 PM

Pam sorry about kitty

Az- sorry you've been feeling that way

I went over to my mom's today and left the girls with her for a few minutes. Well Megan cried the whole time soon as I got back she stopped. She's done this before with her. I don't know what I'm gonna do I have a dentist appt next week and I can't leave her if she's gonna cry for an hour
#260 of 466 Old 07-07-2005, 08:35 PM

Aloha From LA!
I was just gonna read one page of posts and then I saw someone mention Lauren's GI appt and so I HAD to go back and read all.
Lisa- I didn't say Happy Birthday to you yet (I know it was yesterday). HB anyways. I'm glad your appt went well and that the dr is pretty cool.

oh geesh. my family has all crowded into this room to discuss dinnner plans with me. it's not a mellow situation, though I love it here
I'm sure I had more to say....
a hug to Pam.... a hug to Sheri (for having too many bad days ) and a hug to everyone. I'm being made fun of now. gotta run
#261 of 466 Old 07-07-2005, 08:36 PM

Well we had our first veggie meal bomb I spent forever cooking dishes dh picked out and he didn't eat them. I didn't eat them either but I don't really feel like eating.

The highchair came today. I got out screw drivers and sat down ready to get to work and all I had to do was pop the legs on no tools needed. Miss E was pretty happy hanging out in it while I adjusted the strap to fit her. She doesn't like the tray though. She had a bit of avacado to break it in. She thought it was very yummy and was "chewing" it and trying to jam the spoon in her mouth to get more. She was making the happiest noises eating.

I made a couple of knitted balls today. I wanted to start a pair of felted mocs for my nephew but I don't have the right size needles and I don't feel like going anywhere

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#262 of 466 Old 07-07-2005, 08:55 PM

Lisa - it sounds like you really want to move!!! www.capeair.com The minimums aren't that high actually. There is a lot of turnover there because I think its a place to build hours.
you mamas are making me hungry with your talk of cake and also pbjs on grahams! yum!
I'm tired and Torin just fell alseep........ I am going to go join my little love-bug!!
Bad food is bad food whether its vege or not!! I'm trying to make more vege meals lately. Last night, we had yummy stir-fry veges with kidney beans...... fresh ginger, garlic, tamari, etc.....over brown rice........ I need some new ideas. anyone have any favorite vege meals they are willing to share.
back to famous people - one of dh's best friends is in the band Wean..... I also know other guys from bands but I grew up with them and I can't even remember the names of their bands...pathetic, I know.... I'll try to think about it....
going to nap now!
#263 of 466 Old 07-07-2005, 09:32 PM

1 md potato peeled and corsely chopped
1/2-1 carrot thickly sliced
1/2 onion corsely chopped
1C water
1t salt

combine in small saucepan bring to boil cover and simmer until tato and carrot are tender about 10 min; drain

1lb package frozen chopped broccili
thaw under running water

4oz firm tofu crumbled
1/2 C nutritional yeast
1T lemon juice
2 cloves crushed garlic
throw in food processor with potato mixture; blend until smooth and creamy. Pour into greased 1 1/2-2qt cassarole dish

1C uncooked instant brown rice
add this, thawed broccile and 3/4C water to the cassarole mixture, stir and smooth top. Bake at 350 about 40min until bubbling

modified from the vegetarian times cookbook

#264 of 466 Old 07-07-2005, 09:44 PM

well, I finally got away! I had a whole hour. of course where we live, driving time really cuts in to that, so 20 minutes there, 20 minutes back, leaving 20 mins to browse at the new fabric store. Of course it was closed when I got there, but I managed to pick up some fresh strawberries and a chocolate bar on my way home so all is not lost.

Kitty is put to rest.

I think I can make it through tomorrow now!
#265 of 466 Old 07-07-2005, 10:03 PM

Pam- I hope that tomorrow goes well. It gets so frustrating, with the babe and toddler.

Andy - Love the poem. You are really talented. So much feeling and emotion.

Karen - Don't let them tease you, girl! I know that I feel withdrawls when I don't get to keep up.

Speaking of which, I am so bummed. We are going to Nebraska next weekend and I will have absolutely no web access the entire time that I am there. I know that I am going to feel total withdrawl.

Okay, so I talked to my mother and it turns out that my brother had chicken pox when he was like 9 months old. I got it and she basically rubbed him against me. I figure that it is going to go through the school like wildfire. I am more worried about DH. If the kids get it, he is going to my parents because he is an adult and it is so much worse for him to have it than the kids.

Okay, dinner time here. More later!
#266 of 466 Old 07-07-2005, 10:56 PM

Here's some pictures of Miss E having her avacado
yummmm

hey what ya doing mum?

#267 of 466 Old 07-07-2005, 10:58 PM

I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo tired. I desperately need a nap. I was going to go take one with Torin but he woke up after only a few minutes. I'm ready to fall asleep without him........Right now, I just want a little sleep. 20 minutes, perhaps??? It doesn't look like its going to happen.
#268 of 466 Old 07-07-2005, 11:01 PM

Az - love the photos!! yum....... and the soaker shorts are adorable! i also like the high chair - what kind is it?? Torin is having a fit now.......... gotta run.... maybe he'll nap! wishful thinking.........
#269 of 466 Old 07-07-2005, 11:41 PM

Hola - drumming was SO awesome! I was just in heaven, really! The women in the group are great, the drumming is SO fun, and there is one woman there who is married to an African drummer (as in he plays professionally in a band and gives lessons at schools and stuff) and she's awesome knowledgable (sp?) and helped us a ton... it felt great. we talked about the bombings and drummed a special drum vibe for the families involved. And did some great echo stuff... so cool.

BUT

when I got home Orin had cried for like 2 1/2 hrs. (I took my cell phone for explicitly this reason, why oh WHY didn't he call!?!?!?) He was totally wired, and wouldn't go to sleep even after nursing for over an hour. So we got up for a while, and tried again and he really chomped into my sore nipple (that same nipple is STILL sore ladies...are we on month 3 now?) and I just about hit the ceiling... I've been taking aspirin to deal w/the pain but hadn't taken any since this morning, so it was BAAAAAAAAAAAD. So I just left him on the bed (safe, but sad) and bailed. Less than 5 min. later, when I'd cooled off, I went back and the little stinker was asleep. So he was up for over 7 hrs. straight. THIS is why I don't go away from him!!! It's just TOTALLY not worth it. I'm going to continue to pay for this evening tomorow too...and I don't even want to think about tonight. It's going to be a loooong night.

BUT

I'm totally inspired to get a new drum so Jerry and I can do some drumming together..or beca and I since mr. poopiehead don't call mama couldn't get EITHER kid to bed leave it all for mommy isn't, perhaps, inclined to be fun right now... and he's out of town a LOT for the next month+. Supposedly he's taking a bunch of time off in August, but YAH, we'll see 'bout that when it happens. I'm a total disbeliever right now, since he won't commit to any dates. I don't know why, but I feel like crying...

I need to remember how strong and in tune I was drumming... it was truly wonderful. I'm going again in 2 weeks, bringing the baby since I can't trust even dh. He should've called, is all I have to say. (and when he gave him to me he had poop kinda dried onto his legs and hips like it'd been there a while. Dumbass )

Um - were there other people who had 'days'? I am so braindead. I should really go get some sleep. Lisa - does your computer keep you logged in to MDC even when you're not online? 'Cause your name was listed as 'on line' last night when I pm'd you ha ha!

?Have a good day/night mamas. xoxo andy

PS - nicole - what kind of school runs in the summer time?

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
#270 of 466 Old 07-08-2005, 12:41 AM

Andy - sorry about dh being a poopiehead. sounds frustrating as heck...... you want to go out and enjoy without worrying about your little ones.....
glad you enjoyed drumming so much..... therapeutic, eh????
Torin fell asleep and i slept for 20 minutes or so.... I needed it so bad.... I also felt like crying...... Calgon take me away!!!!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page