How do I weigh the baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-07-2005, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It seems like in regard to breastfeeding, people talk about weighing their babies to make sure they are gaining weight adequately.

I was considering buying some scales anyway, with which to weigh myself, and I wondered if I will be able weigh myself holding babe/not holding babe and know how much she weighs? Or do I have to buy special baby scales?

Is this a really stupid question? I've searched for the answer a couple of times and found nothing, and thought maybe that's because it's a ridiculous idea... :

Thanks in advance for the answer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2005, 07:56 PM

We weigh our baby that way. Our scale is digital and measures to the half pound, but she often seems to weigh more here than at the doctor's office.

Another great way to make sure your baby is getting enough milk is by counting her wet/poopy diapers. In the early days, she will have about 8 wet and 1 or 2 poopy ones. We used cloth diapers, which made it really easy to feel if it was wet.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:50 PM

you don't really need to weigh the baby.

-Angela
Old 07-08-2005, 05:09 AM

I don't think it's a stupid question...I've been wondering the same thing myself. I don't want to weigh her to confirm adequate milk intake or anything, but just because I'm curious. I think that if I popped into the clinic and asked to use their scale they would insist on examining her and charge me for the visit. I also don't want to spend any money on a baby scale. Sigh. Can't have it both ways. I like your idea of using an adult scale and subtracting your weight to get hers.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna
you don't really need to weigh the baby.

-Angela
Absolutely correct. My 10 month old has only been weighed about 3-4 times.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:24 AM

Some ways to find scales - the key being find A SCALE and use the same one all the time because scales are different... my pedi's scale is 1/2 lbs off from the scale I like to use.

If you want pounds and ounces instead of 1/2 lbs on the home scale...

Got a market? The produce guys at the fish market, farmers market, hfs usually think it's fun to weigh babes.

Nearby hospital or community center? Anywhere there is a breastfeeding support group, the LC who runs it almost always has a scale there. Free, and a social opportunity if you want to see other bfing moms.

Ask the pedi/fp. My pedi is ok with me stopping in to use the scale "regularly" - which I interpreted to be once a month if I wanted, since we skip most well baby checks.

What's in your community? MY vet's scale is calibrated to 1/10th of a pound. She's cool with us going there too, it's one of those hold the baby and weigh yourself and subtract the difference things. But a lot more exact. We tried this at the last doggie checkup, she said we could use it anytime.

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for these replies!
Old 07-08-2005, 09:47 PM

Well, we needed to weigh DD when she was not getting enough BM (lactation consultant said she was a "lazy sucker"). We rented a Medela scale that was extremely accurate with small numbers (grams) and could tell how much BM DD took after nursing. You can only imagine how crazy that drove me after awhile. At any rate, for those purposes, weighing her with us didn't work at all. But for babies without some serious nursing issues, I imagine that a scale of that type would be superfluous.
Old 07-09-2005, 05:27 PM

Well you don't NEED to weigh the baby unless of coarse you WANT to... it is of great reasurance to some new mothers. I weighed my baby every week for the first 3 months, then every other week for another 6 months. It just provided me with numbers so I was reasured (in the early weeks) and after that it was just for me to watch her pattern of growth.

I went to a nursing support group to weigh the baby on an accurate scale and got to meet other new moms and ask nursing questions. The hospital also provided a scale right inside the maternity ward doors (so you didn't have to park you could just pull up and run in). Also the produce section of our market worked great...

Nancy

User Tag List