Can you nurse in a moby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-15-2005, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just ordered a moby and I'm really excited to try it out. I'm wondering if I'll be able to nurse the little guy in it. I've seen pics of moms nursing in a moby in babywearing sites, but I wonder if its as easy as it looks. Anyone able to nurse in it?
#2 of 5 Old 07-15-2005, 08:23 PM

Yes, but it's not easy

If your babe is tiny, look for the instructions on mamatoto.org on how to nurse hands free with an infant.

If you are going to put babe in the cross chest carry, you have to kind of wiggle and move around some. For me, I think I always put all the fabric up on my shoulder on one side and spread out on the other, it made it possible to tip babe one way, and then I always had to wiggle her bum over a little too.

Not hands free, but possible. I think a bigger babe who could grab the breast and hold himself up might be able to nurse well in there.

My babe is big (9#, 21.5" at birth, 18# now) so the moby wasn't the best choice for me, but it was REALLY nice the early months when I needed to do something and she needed held. Especially grocery shopping!

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#3 of 5 Old 07-15-2005, 09:12 PM

Yes, but....

- not as easily as with a ring sling (for me, anyway)
- I had previous experience with our eldest DD, so I learned some tricks along the way. NOT really hands free yet, but that is definitely possible with an older infant/young toddler.

I find it helpful to tie my DD in so that her head is at chest level, not higher (as I would if not planning to nurse). Then she can really snug in and I can use the edges of the wrap to hold her head in securely. She is *almost* nursing hands-free now, as she is able to move her head around to get at the breast. She will be 6 months next week.

If we weren't in such a hot climate, I think the moby would still be my preferred carrier. It is just *so* comfortable, and I find it very fast to get the baby in and out, after the initial learning phase (which was very quick, in my experience)

Hope you love your Moby as much as we do!
#4 of 5 Old 07-16-2005, 10:43 PM

Yes, no problem! My dd is bigger and we use a hip carry position I got from mamatoto.org to nurse in the moby. There's also a great wrap for nursing new borns on mamatoto and you can do it in the traditional moby cradle hold, but my dd never liked that much.

slingboy.gifTaking care of 2 girls:energy.gifblahblah.gifb& a babyboy.gif born on his mama's birthday and a few chicken3.gif
#5 of 5 Old 07-17-2005, 04:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies. My babe is still little (3 months next week) but he's big (he was 13.5 lbs at his 2 month check up). So I hope we'll manage with it. If not, thats ok. I just want to be able to wear him more, thats why I ordered a moby. I have a different carrier now, but its not comfortable after about 5 minutes. If I'm able to nurse in it, it will be a definite perk!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page