Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wherw IS everybody today?
#422 of 535 Old 07-28-2005, 02:12 PM

We're not giving up quite yet. Her wets are lower than usual, normal for her is 12-14 and we're doing 8-12. That's kind of where we were when this whole low supply thing started, I thought she was fine with all the wet diapers but when she is gaining well, it is alot more. If she's lost weight on Friday, we will go back to formula. If she has gained anything, then we keep going. Yesterday was only 8 wets. I wish I could catch a pee to see what the color looks like,but I have had no luck trying so far. They smell a bit stronger than they used to, but I wonder if that is residual effects from the solids experiment of a few weeks back. It's so hard to know. I just don't want my sweet baby to be hungry! She was acting all weird last night too. Most nights, she wakes up a once or twice, nurses and then goes back to sleep. Last night she was nursing, then fussing, and scooting around the bed then cooing, then snuggling, then nursing again, then stopping and snuggling closer and then went back to sleep. She did this a couple of times. Not a restful night.

Annie, I've tried to read the other Avalon books but I couldn't get into them. Let you in on a not so secret secret though... MZB didn't write the other ones. SHe was too sick. Her assistant Elisabeth Waters wrote them. (this from MZB's goddaughter, who I used to be friends with). I still haven't sent you your chocolate : but it seems to have bred... We're up to 12 ounces. If this box stays on my desk through another TJ's run you may get a full pound.
#423 of 535 Old 07-28-2005, 02:27 PM

I'M HERE.... JUST (sorry) trying to be a good mama. to my fussy babe

and I read a couple of other mists books. I agree- they are NOT anywhere near as good as mists. interesting that SHe wasn't the writer. anyone read the most newest one?
#424 of 535 Old 07-28-2005, 04:03 PM

Interesting that she didn't write the other mists. I was reading that in the prologue...I dunno, I still sorta want to read them, but I don't want to ruin the goodness of Mists...

Pam, Makai has a speech delay too. He didn't even start talking until after two, and he's sorta unitelligible most of the time. We decided not to put him into EI, after talking to the preschool teachers that will be working with him this coming year - they said they would work with him. He seems to be not talking much at all lately, for some reason. He's getting his molars, and I think he has regressed a bit....I think all kids just develop at their own pace, yk? I do sorta wonder about his hearing now, after everything that has happened with Violet, so maybe I should do that. I know that Kobe was like Kaitlyn - by two and a half he knew all the names of the dinosaurs, could count spell, ect...:LOL He was our little professor.

So, speaking of Makai - he seems to be in a big tantruming phase. Its really awful. He'll just scream and scream and keep getting himself more and more worked up until he gets what he wants - I mean he could go on for hours, people. I usually try to ignore it and give him some space to work out his anger, but it also hurts me to see my baby so upset, so then I run to nurse him...And I know part of this is happening because he doesn't soeak well, and he's frusterated that we can't understand him, or he can't tell us what he wants. Poor little guy. Kobe never did this, so I'm kinda at a loss for what to do.
#425 of 535 Old 07-28-2005, 04:10 PM

Annie, I just wanted to say that we got your card today, and the part about taking care of mama made me cry! I really needed that (cuz as I was walking down the drive to get the mail I was ready to leave for good...).
We also got one from Sheri! This is so exciting!
I also got a chinaberry catalogue this week, but still no longies...
#426 of 535 Old 07-28-2005, 04:12 PM

good morning mamas.... haven't posted in a day or 2... just caught up reading but Torin is awake so I may not have much time....
Annie - sorry about Makai..... poor little guy.... he probably wants to hold on to you as much as he can and nurse.... are you signing at all??
i was thinking of buying the bumbo for Torin since he can't sit up without support yet but they want 34 bucks for shipping!!
as for the bottle, T didn't really want it before i went back to work but then he adjusted fine after a little while..... I felt so guilty at first...... But, now, he just seems so happy and drinks all of the breastmilk I leave for him......
Still don't know if we are going to move in Sept/Oct back to the East..... dh's seasonal job could potentially end at the end of Sept/ he has sent applications to a few places so we are waiting to hear....... "the waiting is the hardest part"
Financially, we'd probably be better off staying put because moving is so expensive.... but in the long run, it might be a better career move for dh..... I hate being in limbo and not knowing what we are going to do.....
Torin is calling........
#427 of 535 Old 07-28-2005, 04:13 PM

Karen, I'm glad your dad is doing better.

Andy - I would get the tough traveller. Sorry about the bad night. Do you think he might have eaten too much? Maybe had a tummy ache? Ugh, those are the worst nights....

About the jumping in thing - yeah, I kinda watch and let them do their thing. If somebody gets hurt, I just say, "well, if that's how you are playing then that could happen. Its nobody's fault." Of course, I don't let the baby jump off the couch I do let the boys hold her and stuff, though. I dunno what I'm trying to say here - I have this list hanging on my fridge - it has all the alternative sayings to the common "don'ts". For isntance, instead of saying "don't hit your brother" you would say "when you hit your brother, it hurts him and makes him feel sad", or "don't run in front of the swings" you'd say "walk carefully around the swings" I think when kids think they are going to be reprimanded, they kind of internally wince, and their minds and ears just clamp down, yk - and then they don't really hear anything we were going to say. I try to put a positive spin on things. It really works - I just wish I could do it ALL the time : I suppose it does make those little flip out moments a little easier to handle.
#428 of 535 Old 07-28-2005, 04:37 PM

Annie, could you post/pm/email me that list?

And as for the slow language - I'm doing this now (preparing, not actually implementing) - it's called PECS and it's the picture communication system they use with kids with autism who are nonverbal. Anyhow... you make pics 2" square (photos of real objects/people and symbols/signs for things like "want" and laminate and either velcro or magnet them to a cookie sheet, notebook, etc and then when there is something to say w/o words they can give you the right picture. Gonna do that w/signs too.

Mary - I've been dx'd and referred to a cardiologist - premature ventricular beats and supraventricular tachycardia.

Nada else here, had a great time and saw a lot of GD in practice w/ a 1 and 2 yr old and their 4 yr old sisters. Very cool to see.

I'd like to reply to all the stuff I missed but there is just no way, so I'm starting back in now, right here.

Lisa

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#429 of 535 Old 07-28-2005, 04:38 PM

Annie - that list sounds really great and positive!
Karen- still sending healing vibes to your Dad......
#430 of 535 Old 07-28-2005, 04:41 PM

Lisa - wow! a diagnosis.... the good thing is..... with PSVT you can get yourself out of it sometimes... When you start feeling "weird" if you cough really hard you can stimulate the vagal nerve and cause your heart rate to go down......
Annie - could you email me the list too?????
#431 of 535 Old 07-28-2005, 04:47 PM

Pam - sorry about how you are feeling!
#432 of 535 Old 07-28-2005, 04:59 PM

I'll just post the list up here Its actually meant for daycare workers, so some of the stuff might seem irrelavant to you all..Also, think about the intonation of your voice when saying stuff!

Say- Sit down when you slide
Don't Say - Don't stand up when you slide

Say- Dig in the sand (emphasis on dig)
DS- Don't throw sand

Say- Sit in the swing
DS- Don't stand in the swing

Say -Use both hands when you climb
DS- You'll fall if you don't watch out!

Say- Keep the puzzle on the table
DS- DOn't dump the puzzle on the floor!
Say- Climb down the ladder
DS- Don't jump off that!

Say- Talk in a quiet/inside voice
DS - Stop shouting!

Say- Turn the pages carefully
DS- Don't tear the book

Say- Be sure the ladder is safe
DS- Carefull! You might fall

Say- Walk safely around the swing
DS- Carefule! The swing might hit you!

Say- Wipe your brush on the jar
DS- Don't drip paint on the floor

Say-Drink your water
DS- Don't drink out of other people's cups

A good excercise that I like to do, is to think up other situations in my head, and then how would I say things. Now that I have a guide, I'm constantly catching myself.
#433 of 535 Old 07-28-2005, 05:00 PM

Annie- sorry to hear about Makai's phase. I hate tantrums. they can be so challenging for parents..... so you said that he does it until he gets what he wants. so is he getting what he wants? i.e. is the tantrum leading him to get it? I guess that's obvious. but I do know a lot of kids who will scream and scream until they get what they want, and it just never ends. they just become unreasonable for everything.

Lisa- glad to hear you've got dx.... and it sounds like Mary has a good solution. cool

so now I'm not sure when I'm gonna go to LA> my mom said hold off on making reservations- she has so call me back with some info.... ugh. I feel on hold and I'm tired of sitting here worrying. the phone calls just aren't enough. sigh.... MY choice for living so far away.
#434 of 535 Old 07-28-2005, 05:06 PM

Lisa, glad you got a dx. I wonder, can they do anything about it, or is it just something you have to live with?

Karen - yeah, when MAk screams, we usually don't know what he wants, hence the frusteration and screaming. It just goes on without end. I suppose what I mean when I say "give in" is that I just succumb and nurse him. I don't think that's bad though? Is that bad? I think he's just needing lots of love and reassurance lately.

I feel your frusteration about your dad . This is the same thing I went through with my grams last month. She is really more like my mom, than my actual mom - it was horrible not being able to be with her while she was so sick. She's in rehap too now, although its a very long road for her.
#435 of 535 Old 07-28-2005, 05:09 PM

My house is driving me buggy. Ants. everywhere. We've tried boric acid, no tox spray, keeping clean, and bait poison. No luck. They were WALKING ACROSS THE WATER MOAT around the cat food. In the diaper pail. I'm going to screAM. I just threw out 2 pounds of premium cat food. And we have paper wasps. No clue how they get in, but there were 7 yesterday.

Then Kaia knocks over the bottle of EBM and the lid breaks. Only lost 1/4 ounce, but still... so then while I am picking lid-shrapnel out of the remaining pumpd milk, she pulls a glass off the counter. She's just thinking this is SOOO funny. So I went and grabbed the twelve year old next door to play with Kaia while I take a shower and find my lost sanity. All cleaned up now!
#436 of 535 Old 07-28-2005, 05:23 PM

Annie- I wouldn't consider nursing giving in. In fact, I think one of the hugest benefits of nursing into toddlerhoood is being able to nurse them when they get so frustrated like that. I was more wondering if like he was crying cuz he couldn't have somethiung and then he stopped once he got it. that's different, IMO.
nurse away mama. mother's milk does wonders.

We have ants too. aren't they FUN?!?!?! We have cat food bowls that ants can't get into - http://www.dogcatsupply.com/store.php?scat=24&pid=272 they're called fool-a-bug. they work really well for us. some of our friends haven't had luck with them, but we've had them for years and they're great. of course cats DO like to pull the food out of the bowl and eat it on the floor- and the ants go all over those little pieces. now that I'm thinking of it we'll have to move the cat food soon. otherwise Luka will be ALL over it and it'll become a battle. I know. I've been there before.
#437 of 535 Old 07-28-2005, 05:35 PM

Annie-R has tantrums too. Usually when she's not feeling well (teething, sick) ro she's learning something momentus (ie potty training). We went through this last weekend. And then it stopped. Since she's not nursing I usually sit by her and wait it out. Or the new thing is to go outside or sit in the clothes closet with her (not a time-out without us, timeout with us). Kind of gives her the chance to settle down and regroup with all the distractions of toys and shoes and whatever caused the tantrum in the first place. Ruby speaks very well but she still gets frustrated when she can't get her point across. Must be terribly hard for Makai.

Kathy I had to laugh in the BTDT kind of way of your desciption of your morning with Miss T. Life is hard when you want to do it yourself but you need to know your mom will still do it for you

I'm looking forward to my friday off. I have half my postcards ready to go. I might make the deadline!
#438 of 535 Old 07-28-2005, 05:42 PM

We do the outside thing too, Jess. Usually, if he freaks out while I'm nursing Violet down, my mom will take him outside to look at the moon, or look for frogs. I swear, this kids must have been a pagan in his past life. Kid is obsessed with the moon...moon t-shirts, moon books, loves to look at the moon.

Michelle, you can try putting cayenne pepper in the spot wher ethe ants are coming in. That will head them off for a while.

Ok, must get OFF computer. I have been on it for WAy to long. Dh took boys to gym, and I've been sitting here goofing off. He's going to freak if he comes home and see's me sitting the the same spot, lol!
#439 of 535 Old 07-28-2005, 06:00 PM

Mary, hehe, yah, my GP said "try coughing really hard OR just dunk your face in a big bowl of ice water" to see if it helps Actually, I don't notice that much. I mean, I know when my pulse is way up (it was way up all during labor too) but it doesn't bother me. The PVB bothers me, and that's gotta be a meds thing.

Annie, just move over a bit from where you were before, put V on your lap, and say "honey, she nursed the entire time" and go :P at him. :LOL

So the cardio my GP wants me to see isn't on my insurance. Gah, gotta find another one.

Lauren and I took a walk a bit ago, and she totally crashed out in the MT on the way home. I untied it and put her down on the bed still wrapped up, she looks like the giant MT monster with her arms and legs sprawled out on top of the straps. Took a pic, can't find the cable to post it.

Going back to mom's for the night, but coming home in the morning. Dad came over today and pulled down part of the wall behind the sink. We needed to do that because the tile adhesive was just too hard to get off the wall. So now dh has a big gaping hole to put his plumbing and elec in place, and maybe we'll have kitchen soon! I'm seriously hoping to schedule Lauren's baptism for Sept. and have a party here after.. we'll see if we make it.

Oh Jeni, I had something *so important* to tell you yesterday and for the life of me I can't remember what. GAH! So I'm going to go back and read your posts from the last 3 days and see if that triggers anything.

Lisa

#440 of 535 Old 07-28-2005, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubysmomjess
Life is hard when you want to do it yourself but you need to know your mom will still do it for you
Yes!! Jess, you've hit the nail on the head ~ that's EXACTLY what they're doing at this age. Marvelous, the way you describe it. I know, it's simple, but sometimes the simplest things can escape you, kwim?

Lisa, good to hear you have a dx. Is it something to treat or something that just *is*?

Annie, with the toddler fury. Oh boy, talk about a lot of energy in tiny little bodies, huh?

Ah, DH is home! More later
#441 of 535 Old 07-28-2005, 06:12 PM

Jeni, oh yah, NCSS didn't really give me any new ideas that I was willing to try.. specifically it focused on setting a schedule and sticking to it with only the smallest of deviations, and I just can't do that right now. So we're just trying to get in as many naps when she seems even the tiniest bit tired and sucking it up on the nights that suck. And the occasional chamomilla and tylenol depending on how she's acting. I think some nights the teeth really hurt.

My dx and the future, well uhh.. if we can find the cause (stress, vitamin or mineral or something, etc) then eliminating the cause will help. If not, there are meds or a pacemaker if it gets bad. Going to meet w/the cardio and find out.

Going back to mom's for the night.

Lisa

#442 of 535 Old 07-28-2005, 09:12 PM

Catnip we are having an ant problem too. Ugh I hate ants. Nothing we do is getting rid of them and I think I've just about given up and decided that they don't really eat very much and I'm gonna try to ignore them Y'all might not want to come eat at my house any time soon!

Karen, I didn't mention this before but almost two years ago my dad fell off a ladder and had a pretty severe head injury. He had to do a lot of rehab because he was in bed for about a month before he could get up again and he really couldn't walk at first or anything. Anyway it took about 6 months from the accident to be basically normal again and it was really frustrating for him, but he did get there. I know its not quite the same thing, but actually I think there are a lot of similarities..he had to build new pathways to do some things. Hang in there, both you and your dad, it will get better sooner than it feels right now.

Annie, if he's not tantruming because he wants to nurse than nursing isn't giving in, its just comforting him. One thing that I found helped when I was a teacher for a group of two year olds was to give the kids the words they needed. Like "wow, you are mad she took your toy, you wanted that toy!" If I didn't know why they were having a tantrum I'd just say "Wow, you are mad, really really mad" It kind of helped to do this in a sort of emphatic voice. If they calmed down a little I would try saying, "boy I would sure like to help you solve this" or something like that. I know the prevailing wisdom is not to give the tantrum any attention at all, and sometimes I think you do have to go that route with some kids, but I also think there are ways to model appropriate responses to frustration without it meaning that you've "given in". I'd say about half the time saying "I'd like to help you" got me a kid that was back in control of him/herself. You sound like you have really good perspective on it at least, I know it would drive me NUTS sometimes when the kids would throw multiple tantrums in a day. It usually helped to remind myself that as lousy as it was to be the teacher watching the tantrum, it must feel even worse to be the kid having it. I hope I can remember that when its Japhet throwing the tantrums!

Michelle, crossing my fingers that she gains weight.

I know there were other things I wanted to respond to! Its so hard to remember it all.

Today we went to the family center and I was talking with the woman that runs the parent group about having been an educator and the person who hands OUT the pamphlets to parents and how it feels to now be on the receiving end. Its funny because I really do need the pamphlets still, its so easy to forget things when its your own kid. I was thinking that again when I read the "things to say instead of no" list above, I am so good at saying these kinds of things in a classroom situation where I'm "on" but I've already noticed me saying "don't" and "no" to Japhet much more than I want to. Right now I'm mostly doing it jokingly but I realized he's still going to learn what it means, and I really still should use my better language skills. It never occurred to me how much harder it was going to be to do when it was my own child and I was just more likely to be not thinking before I say something. So much is "don't" at the moment, he just wants to play with everything and most of the world isn't safe for a six month old it seems.

Things that Japhet wanted today that he couldn't have:

Cherries, shopping receipt, plastic bags at the grocery store, my hair owww, my shoes to chew on, the cap to my water bottle, the trays from our sushi lunch, fuzz that was on the floor, the newspaper, napkins, the cat.

He's so undistractible, he knows the difference between toys and real things and he wants the real things. I've had to get really creative figuring out what real things are more or less baby safe to distract him with especially now that he's starting to creep around.

Aviva
#443 of 535 Old 07-28-2005, 10:06 PM

thanks for sharing your dad's story Aviva. I know that my dad will make a full recovery- though I wouldn't be surprised if he has some residual weakness on the affected side. It's just hard to think of my DAD being unable to do things. And he's surely a typical male in that it's very difficult for him to be sitting around.
but the good news is that I bought a ticket there for next thursday and I feel imensly better because I know I need to SEE him and that him seeing us will be some excellent medicine. the tickets were $$$ at the end of the summer. oh well.

re: tantrums and "giving in". We used to live with a little boy who was 5. he was a screamer. everytime he screamed, his mom jumped and he got what he wanted. so what did he always do? scream. ack. and the 5 year old girl next door is the same. she's the youngest and only girl in her family and she HAS to get her way. she screamed and cried for about 15 minutes today- no kidding. top of the lungs screaming. turns out her brothers weren't letting her win a game. sigh.... I have a very hard time with both of these children.... and interestingly, both AP. so I guess what I'm saying is that kids need to learn how to deal with disappointment. I always tell my kids- It's ok to be angry/dissapointed/hurt... how you manifest those feelings is the real test.

we just got back from a nice swim at the river. Luka loves the water. it's so cold there but he didn;t care.
#444 of 535 Old 07-28-2005, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Aviva - I give Ori cheerios. One at a time, he can feed them to himself or just 'open wide'. He hasn't choked yet (knock wood). I think beca was about this old, too. Of course I'm not saying you SHOULD give J. them, just that if you think he's ready, it's not inappropriate (I think). Did you see us waving??? Well, I forgot until the very end and then Beca and I waved from the flat part of the stairs that cross the big street. We turned north (thanks to Jerry's sense of direction) and waved HELLO!!! Ori also gets the waterbottle with the lid screwed on, my hair when I'm not switched on (owwwww!), his own little robeez, and occasionally a little fuzz... You are a super mom!!!

Karen - thanks for the pic. I'll send him some in about 15 min (9:30 pm est). and I'll try for that time for the next week or so

for the toddler craziness. It's tough. I used to have to do it in breaks - like 15 minutes and then find a 10 minute distraction and that was almost half an hour! Like Noam, beca had some toys that would last for a while - then it was clsoer to an hour before the next bout...kwim?

So today was my first kinda lose it day with beca in a while. I'm totally pms'ing and I really needed a break when ori went down for his a.m. nap. I asked. 4 times. She just wouldn't leave me alone. Wouldn't find anything that she could do on her own. Yk, kids of ALL ages really need to know that mama will still be there to help them get stuff done. It's frustrating because I KNOW she can do some of this stuff, but she's just NEEDING me...but I need breaks too...sigh. So I kinda lost it and cried a bit and she cried a bit and I told her how awesome she's been lately and how much fun I've had, but that I REEEEEEEEALLY need a break for 15 minutes, could she PLEEEEEEEASE find something to do that doesn't need me. She did, but it was WORK to get there. whew.7 is much easier than 3 for that kind of stuff, but having a baby bring a lot of that old stuff up for her, I guess.

Ok, lots to do here. Best get going. I think there was more I wanted to say, but... Oh yeah - thanks for the opines on the pack. I actually took another look at the Kelty expedition and it's got great ratings in eopinion. So maybe... It's not that much cheaper but it does come with the hood and has WAY more storage (500 for the TT and 2700 for the Kelty w/a zip off pack) And it comes in purple

G'nite mamas!!! Andy

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
#445 of 535 Old 07-28-2005, 10:42 PM

I'm so far behind here.

Lisa: glad you at least know what's wrong, even if you don't know why. Hope it turns out to be easy to treat!

No, I definately don't want a schedule thing. I had heard that NCSS was gentle and not "sleep training." Boo. Maybe Happiest Baby On The Block? Anyone read that?

LLL today was fun. There was a new baby, a 7 week old named Jade. I gave Jade's mom my old pouch sling. She's been holding her all the time and getting pretty worn out, didn't know about babywearing. I hope it works for her. The new baby from last time wasn't there. They're afraid they gave up. Mom sounded kinda unsure about stuff last time the Leader talked to her on the phone. Sad.

I do feel kind of out of place with this group. They're almost all Catholic homeschoolers, so they talk about that a lot. I can get into the hs discussions a little bit, but even though I'm interested in doing it, it's not relevant right now. And I'm not Catholic, so the religious discussion just doesn't interest me at all. Oh well. It's not so overt that I'm not going to go back or anything.

Wow, I was rather amazed at how fast a crawling 1-year-old goes. I don't really grok toddler development. It's going to hit me like a brick wall, I can tell already.

I can't get rid of my ants, either. My bathroom wall has these tiny ones crawling all over it. I stuck one of the max strength traps to the tile wall with double-sided tape. They're still running around it weeks later. I hate bugs!

Was it Makai with the moon thing? Maybe it has to do with astrology, born under a strong moon sign or something. I don't really know too much about it.

Uh oh, snoozing girl on the floor startin got wake. See ya later.
#446 of 535 Old 07-28-2005, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paquerette

Was it Makai with the moon thing? Maybe it has to do with astrology, born under a strong moon sign or something. I don't really know too much about it.
He was born on a full moon, now that I'm thinking about it...
#447 of 535 Old 07-28-2005, 11:45 PM

Hi, Mamas!

Andy--purple? That thing for DH or YOU? :LOL I think the reason there are so many Kelties on eBay is that they're pretty ubiquitous; I'd never heard of that TT brand before. We have a Back Country and Summit (Summit is more vertically adjustable at the torso, but same hip belt and sacrum pad poofy thing) . If you're accustomed to wearing a backpack (as in, for backpacking, not for books), then it feels pretty alright, although I wish Kelty would get off their butts and make a women's specific design frame carrier. (But then they'd charge $100 more, just like everything else that's WSD. I hate that.)

Jeni--NCSS is not a "this is how you have to do it" kind of book. It's more like, IF you are having some problems with your babe's sleep, and IF you would like to fix those problems, then here are some ideas to try WITHOUT letting your baby CIO. Give them 10 days, she says, and then see if those ideas are helping you, then keep doing them. You can take some of her advice, and leave some of it, too. Even she admits that she doesn't necessarily do those things that people are "supposed to do" (like letting her baby nurse to sleep, or sleep in her lap while she works). It's a very nice read. It's like talking with the perfect MIL or something. She also explains some things (like, why does David wake up after 40 minutes EVERY nap?) to help parents understand what's going on in their babies' sleepy little brains. I recommend it.

Happiest Baby is more for parents of little babies (like, up to 3 mos.). So I think NCSS would help you a little more. She has a website (her name is Elizabeth Pantley), and she's written little articles here and there that you can find with Google, and that oughtta give you a taste of what her philosophies are.

You know, Karen, before you, I would have never thought to use the laptop in the bathroom. I love this. :LOL

Lisa, I wanted to KISS our GI on Monday. I love him, love him, love him. Nice to have a relationship now with somebody who GETS IT and doesn't think I'm crazy to be studying my babies' poo!

I had so much more to say, but I think I need to brush my teeth and get a move on. Whew. Sleep tight.
#448 of 535 Old 07-29-2005, 12:01 AM

Hey Mamas

I read NCSS over the summer and found it had lots of good ideas. I haven't implemented any of it as we've got a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of thing going on here, but I likd it quite a bit. She does seem to try to be rather fair minded about those who choose not to co-sleep, but clearly states that SHE did co-sleep and prefers it, even if it may lead to increased wakefulness at times.

I don't think of it at all as a sleep training book, and I don't remember coming away with a feeling that I'd have to alter our lifestyle all that much. (in as far as keeping a strict routine)
I did implement some of the ideas to ease our bedtime rituals with Tess, and it really did help more than I could have imagined.

I remember there was a whole section of the book dedicated to younger babies (4 months+), but I read it less intensively ... maybe I missed something.

I'm watching "Iron Chef" for the first time, and finding it HYSTERICAL!!
First, the whole introduction just cracked me up! It's *crazy* long and involved, going through each Chef's history like they're running for Public Office (only with greater detail and flourish!).... and the *very* serious, even STERN, voiceover ~ it's killing me! I'm trying so hard not to laugh (NEVER wake a teething-sleeping baby on your lap), and wondering if they're even serious... they sure look serious!

The super-master-chef-guy just rose out of the floor on some kind of elevator pedestal, complete with smoke and flashing lights....
Um, did they really just say "Bang the Gong, Get it On"??????? tee hee.

mmmmmmmmm the theme is chocolate.......

(*edited to add* they are now showing apple-peeling in slow motion.... oh. my. word.)

:LOL
#449 of 535 Old 07-29-2005, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpurring
Andy--purple? That thing for DH or YOU? :LOL
: but I guess I was wrong. It's blue. There's one on ebay that's kind of more denim'ey coloured, it looks purple in one pic. Anyway, it's blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpurring
Nice to have a relationship now with somebody who GETS IT and doesn't think I'm crazy to be studying my babies' poo!
Oh, but he DOES think you're crazy!!! Just as crazy as HE is :LOL Hope your bathroom time was productive, you crazy mama!!! You cracking me up (HA!!!)...I need sleep...

Um, why DOES David wake after 40 min? Ori does that too.

Annie - did Mak ever get his hearing tested at the ped? I don't like your ped (where's the kick ass smilie??). I don't think congenetive hearing probs are genetic, but it's possible there's something going on there. So what kinds of stuff have you made from the new cookbook - or not - for Kobe? how is he doing? Good luck tomorrow mama!!!

Lisa - I'm glad you've got something to work with now. Doesn't sound good...how did it get missed for 30 yrs?? Mine is nowhere near that consistent, but when it happens next time, I'm going to COUGH!!

I liked NCSS. I thought she had some good ideas. And her approach was non-invasive, which I appreciated. Not CHANGE EVERYTHING YOU ARE DOING kind of thing. HBOTB was good for the first little while, but doesn't offer much for these bigger babies.

I read all the Avalon books. Clearly Mists was the best, but they all were kind of fun. Her other books are fun too - I loved the Theseus book, and some of the others were great reads...and some were kinda duds. Hard to know, yk?!

Karen - thanks for sharing about the schooling/unschooling that you do. I think you are a great mama, and your boys are very blessed to have such great parents

Ok, off to read and bed. Hope you all have a good afternoon and evening! Lots of hugs, andy

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
#450 of 535 Old 07-29-2005, 12:37 AM

Kathy, Iron Chef is our most absolute favorite show! It's hilarious. We watch it almost every night. :LOL

Andy- Ooh, I've made lots of stuff from the book -thanks for asking! Made some yummy coconut/millet tapioca, granola bars, donuts, veggie loaf and some barley bread that wasn't in the book, but tasted like beer! We've been using the book on a daily basis, thanks so much for it. I it, you super sweet mama, you! Sounds like a rough day for you, especially after getting no sleep! Of course you need a moment (or 15) to recoup. here's to more sleep tonight.

Aviva, Japhet sounds like a little character! If you have time, we'd love to see pics of you guys Oh -totally understand if you aren't comfortable posting on the net, though.

So did you get any answers at the GI, Joyce? I would hope he is interested in poop -otherwise he's in the wrong line of work!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page