Janulicious July #3 - Page 18 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#511 of 535 Old 07-31-2005, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Enjoy the donuts mama! And the drive

We're off to buy non-acetone nail polish remover so we can have some 'girl' time. Caio!

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
#512 of 535 Old 07-31-2005, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

morning lisa - the pancakes y'day were ok, nothing to rave about (though we did have strawberry ones that were yumm, and the syrup was good!). dh's eggs this a.m. were better. HA! Since we have no other bling anymore, I figure we're due for a little creature comfort. Now we've got the killer jog stroller (3 miles this morning, walk), and the pack. YAHOO!

#513 of 535 Old 07-31-2005, 01:51 PM

According to Hale, St John's Wort is safe while breastfeeding, HOWEVER it is not very effective for moderate to severe depression. It works better with a mild case of the blues.

Lemon Balm and lavender are safe remedies but can impact milk supply.

For acute symptoms, a dose of motherwort every so often can be very soothing, but used to often, it can form a dependancy. Dosage is 5-10 drops of tincture.

Karen, I leave for So. Cal tomorrow and will be there until Saturday. I will be online and reading even if I can't post much.

These postcards are SO fun! Kaia's big sisters are here this weekend, and we've had tons of fun looking at them.

Spilled an OUNCE of EBM this am.
#514 of 535 Old 07-31-2005, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

sorry Michelle - about the ebm... that IS sad. it's hot and humid again today, and my little girl is really nutty. arg. caio.

#515 of 535 Old 07-31-2005, 02:29 PM

Pam suicidal thoughts are scary and eventhough it's situational, it would be good to be proactive and treat your ppd.
I agree with Sheri, that meds are not SOOO bad. But there are some alternatives. LIke Michelle said, St John's Wort is OK while bf- for mild depression (info from THe Nursing Mother's Herbal). It also says in this book that the safest treatment is cognitive therapy, which is quick and effective. hmmmm.

Now that I think about it, I hope we didn't scare of Jeni. I don't know that she liked all that focus on her. Jeni, if you're reading... we miss you

Michelle. i know i might have asked... but where exactly on SoCal? my parents live near w. hollywood and my dad is in the rehab place in Inglewood (who knows how long). Are you anywhere near that? or do they live in Carlsbad- or maybe you were just on vacation at C? could we meet? I'll be there on Thurs eve. sorry about the spilled milk. that sucks

Andy- the backpack looks cool! I especially like the thing over the kids head- the sun shade, seems like it would be worth buying a new one JUST for that purpose. Luka is already starting to pull his hat off :

woke up with a scratchy throat. it's not a good time for me to have something. I have some throat coat brewing and I'll try and kick it quick.
#516 of 535 Old 07-31-2005, 03:49 PM

I called the parents helpline once, but wasn't able to fully open up to them. My councellor and I have a written pact that I am to call her when I have thoughts of hurting myself or others, but it's really hard to make the call when I'm actually feeling it. Thursday was a bad day.
I have a book on cog. therapy, but it's hard to implement, I find.
Anyway dh decided to go help his dad build their cottage today, and abby just p*ssed all over me intentionally (guess m&m's weren't enough incentive afterall) but when he gets home, i might take off.
sjw has always worked so well for me in the past, and rather than become dependent, I've always come to need it less and less, till i can stop it altogether.
#517 of 535 Old 07-31-2005, 03:52 PM

Pam, I'm glad that you and your councellor have a pact- but make sure you use it!!!! Lots of s to you mama. I hope you get some time away from the girls when dh gets back.
#518 of 535 Old 07-31-2005, 04:41 PM

OMG we can NOT afford any houses near Chicago. Nowhere. Not even in the ghetto.

Aaaaah!

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#519 of 535 Old 07-31-2005, 04:44 PM

Still here but busy. I might be back to reading/psoting by Tuesday.
#520 of 535 Old 07-31-2005, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

I guess we've decided... dh and I want to get a hot tub instead of going anywhere w/our tax rebate this year. It's substantial (and mostly from his paycheck overpay, so I do feel like we should spend spend spend and be happy happy happy!), but not enough for retail. Ebay here we come! Yikes

Beca and I have beautiful toes!

Pam - I hope you get a break this afternoon too. The pressure on dh's time must be big to check ou t for a weekend day. Sorry 'bout that, mama.

Karen - I actually swapped away our other carrier, which was well used but had a lot of life left in it, just to get one with a sun shade. Orin is TERRIBLE with hats, instantly pulling it off, and if I am going to have him on my back and can't see, I need to know he's covered. He has that hemangioma on the top of his head, and it makes me nervous, all those changing cells,kwim? Bummer about the scratchy throat...maybe allergies (I can hope for ya, huh?).

#521 of 535 Old 07-31-2005, 05:37 PM

Well, there's not that much pressure, but he gave me the idea he'd be home a couple hours ago. Of course, he went to help his aging, hearing-impaired Dad put down the plywood on the roof of their cottage that he's mostly building himself. But, the paint-your-own pottery studio I was gonna head to is closing in 20 minutes. Bummer.
#522 of 535 Old 07-31-2005, 07:14 PM

Pam

Andy wheres the kitchen sink on that pack :LOL

Guess what I did today? NIP
I also finally got some postcards! and big dope on me, Larry was like "I could have picked some up for you, since he's in Boston everyday" doh doh doh doh doh doh on me
#523 of 535 Old 07-31-2005, 07:15 PM

Pam, St John's Wort isn't habit forming, and if it has worked for you in the past, then try it again in combination with the other things that work for you. Sounds like you have a good therapist, and are doing a good job of coping.
Motherwort is what is habit forming. I use motherwort for my occasional bouts of anxiety and despair and it works well to settle me down. I had some really dark periods of despair after my Dad died, but didn't feel I was "depressed" because I had a fine reason to feel that way. It wasn't wonky brain chemistry it was a crappy situation. In my more cynical times I sometimes feel like antidepressants are the "bread and circuses" of our society. I mean, life just sucks unless you are very lucky. MDC and this thread in particular often are some of the only things that give me hope for society. It is nice to know that I am not alone.

I remember I used to go to sweatlodges at a retreat center in the mountains. I had a rock from the land up there on my desk that I charged with the energy of the community of the women's circle. Then when I was at work and felt alone and isolated I'd grab that rock and just remember that feeling of connection. I want a Janulicious rock! :LOL Maybe a piece of silicon?
#524 of 535 Old 07-31-2005, 08:17 PM

Dh is gone, so what do I do? Turn on the a/c :LOL

L is sleeping (I hope) and my dinner is cooking. Zoe and I think it's too hot here today to be sweaty.

Not really anything else exciting to report. I've had this annoying headache and I think I might have ovulated so we'll see what happens.

I have a cardio appt. on the 15th, and the insulation guy is finally coming to do work on the 11th. Yaay!

And of course dh didn't get done any of the things that I needed him to do, so I won't be drywalling this week, and I won't be putting cabinets or floor in. Next weekend I'm going to be evil drill seargent or something, because I just can't take it anymore!

Going to mom's maybe tomorrow or Tues. for the night, but I think we'll stay here tonight, I'm not in the mood to pack things up to go anywhere right now.

Lisa

#525 of 535 Old 07-31-2005, 08:31 PM

Hey All,

I am back on page 23. But I wanted to pop in and say Hi. We were at Roosevelt lake all weekend. Got some good pics. I will upload them to snapfish and post the link here, or in the August thread. Don't think I can keep up though, with all the replies to post.

Talk to ya'll later.
#526 of 535 Old 07-31-2005, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Nicole! Sounds like a yummy weekend...let me be the first to ask, though. In that heat, how do you spend a weekend outdoors???

Lisa - mama! That chaos is uncivilized. Dh should be taught a lesson...can you call an electrician and have dh's future ice cream docked or something? LOL, I DO feel for you mama. What is just about killing me here is that by the time you get the darned thing up and running, you'll be getting ready to LEAVE!!! Ouch.

Pam - I'm so sorry. I used to do the paint thing too, when we lived in Vancouver. There was a really nice one near our house - I could walk to it. It had a nice little nook area where you could drink tea and read a mag. while waiting for a table or whatever. It was great. I have several mugs etc. from there :LOL

Michelle - I was thinking the other day that if we only had time, it would be so nice to make/ receive a mixed tape for/from someone in the group - I think it would be interesting because we are all so different, yet we all do agree on so many things. At least in principle LOL! Yk, I have some motherwort around and was wondering ... sometimes I get to feeling pretty lo down and wonder whether it isn't better if I take something, but it isn't persistent or chronic, like it was first time round with dd. Hrmmm. well, thanks for the info, anyway!

Laura - that is AWESOME mama!!! You guys have made such amazing progress!!! I'm very proud and impressed : : : :bf : and on the postcards oh well, at least you got some!

Our hot tub auction is up in about an hour now...very exciting!!! Course if this one doesn't work out, there's another one and another and another...

'kay, gotta go clean up before the ants make the plates their home. Caio mamas! andy

#527 of 535 Old 07-31-2005, 10:37 PM

Posting here but I bet tomorrow there is a new thread. Today is Japhet's six month "half birthday" DH has been being silly all day singing him half of the birthday song. Since he's not up to cake he got mashed avocado and liked it pretty much...better than the rice cereal and applesauce. I don't think its a big deal if he doesn't eat rice cereal but I bet his pediatrician asks about it. Maybe he'd like oatmeal better, I sure do.

I'm just sending out hugs to Jeni and Pam, I don't have any advice except that be careful taking st. johnswort in summer...it can cause severe sunburns. I found this out when a friend's horses ate some that was in their field and had to have extensive care for severe blistering due to it.

I don't remember who said they were tie dying, but if I can ask, what did you use? I'd like to tie dye a few things but I'm not excited about using just rit dyes.

Karen, be prepared for the first time you see him being a bit of a shock, I know I was just blown away every time I saw my dad in bed. I'm so used to thinking of him as strong and capable seeing him weak was really a shock. It was so wonderful though when he started being back to himself again, really made me appreciate him so much more.

Weight issues, I actually LOST 40 pounds while I was pregnant and then gained back about 10 once I gave birth. Instead of it helping my body image issues though I just feel soooo fat and unattractive which shows none of it really has anything to do with the weight or size you are since I'm two dress sizes smaller than I was before I got pregnant. My body shape has changed and I just feel weak and puffy and after having to eat so carefully for nine months I'm on a non-stop ice cream and cookie binge lately plus I'm getting very little excercise in this heat. My new MT should ship out on Monday and I'm hoping it lets me feel secure enough with Japhet on my back to do a little more physical stuff. It kind of is weird to have lost the weight this way, while its nice to be able to buy more stuff in "regular" stores because they have my size, I really hate everyone telling me "oh you look so good" because I don't feel like I do look good and I feel like I lost the weight in such a weird and unhealthy way it seems very strange to be getting praise for it, ya know?

I'm really tired and cranky, could be that my period is on its way or just that Japhet woke up at 2am last night because he pooped (he never poops in the middle of the night) and then was up partying til 3:45 then he crashed but I didn't, I hate insomnia when you are sooo tired to start with. I'm really beat now so I totally understand how hard it is to deal when you are worn down and you don't have any help.

Pictures of Japhet and me and Dh can be seen at: http://www.people.umass.edu/wise/japhet/ I'd love to see other folks pix too!

Oh and congrats on NIP Laura!

Good luck with the Solid's Michelle, I kind of think that no loss is at least a mandate to try it for one more week, but of course you have to decide what is best! I'm rooting for you though.

Aviva
#528 of 535 Old 07-31-2005, 10:44 PM

Aviva, Japhet is ADORABLE!!!
#529 of 535 Old 07-31-2005, 11:10 PM

Aviva- Japhet is a coootie!!! I dunno why I guess I was expecting you to look like the Aviva I know I guess all the Avivas have to look alike?? lame me!
and yeah, I'm expecting to be sorta shocked at my dad's appearance. a few years ago my mom was hospitalized with pneumonia and wow... when I walked in.... she was pale and her face was thin and kinda ghostly. I think though that by the time Iget there, it will have been almost 2 weeks since the stroke, so he's more on the mend. It is still hard to imagine that like he's got to wait for the guy to come tomorrow to be able to shower.... poor papa.

Laura : NIP- awesome mama!

Nicole- don't even bother trying to read back pages.... too much work. just jkump in!

gasp... I'll be away a week and then fall behind again too!!! my mom has a puter but just booting up takes a year. i have no patience. well maybe Michelle and Kaia and us can meet up and I;ll get my MDC fix IRL! woo hoo!

the boys are entertaining Luka while I eat. he gets soooo excited when they walk in the room. I'm, um, yk boring after awhile. :LOL
#530 of 535 Old 08-01-2005, 12:13 AM

Okay, caught up. Whew.

Andy - We didn't really spend the entire day outside. We went out in the boat and jetskis in the am until around 11:30, came in had lunch, did the nap thing and went back out in the late afternoon. We were there for Fri, Sat and came home today. DH's company (who built the dam) have house out there that the people who were building the dam lived in long time ago. Now the compnay keeps them up for employees to rent so they can go and play on the lake. Much fun!

Karen - Good luck with your dad. I am sure that it would help to see you and Luka. Hoping that you have a safe flight.

Pam and Jeni - No advice. Just support and hugs. I hope you are feeling better.

If I have forgotten anyone, I apologize.

Will PULLED UP into a standing position this weekend and has almost gotten the crawling thing down. On the sad side, he did a face plant on Thursday night and cut the inside of his lip and got a fat lip to boot. He was so sad about that, and he kept reopening the wound all weekend. .

Okay, so tomorrow is the big day. He is going to daycare for the first time. I was totally okay with it last week, but tonight I am beginning to get a bit sad and sentimental. Ugh. But I have my pump handy, and I will go and see him at lunch, so no big deal.

Gonna go and catch up with the laundry.
#531 of 535 Old 08-01-2005, 12:13 AM

Hey Mamas

Wow, tomorrow is already August!?!?!? I only realize this since I've been so obsessed with getting my 1000 minutes in for the month.... it's been a struggle ~ between DH's work schedule, B's teething & the gawd-awful hot weather, I'm soooo happy to be at 1035 minutes tonight! Woo hoo!! Heather, I notice you royally booted my butt... good going, Mama!!

Aviva - so nice to put a face to the posts! Japhet is adorable Such a smiley little guy! I hear you on getting tired of "oh, but you look good!!" I know that I sound awful to not appreciate that DH actually prefers how I look now with an extra 10, but I don't feel "me" ~ not that I have to be a certain shape or size, but I want to be fit. Toned and fit. I hope your MT comes soon! It's always exciting to get new slings/carriers. Geez, I haven't done that in a while!! *thoughts beginning to form in my mind.....* :LOL

Karen, when are you heading out to see your Dad? My thoughts are with you, and him. I can imagine how you will be a fresh breath of air for him when you arrive ~ just take care of yourself, ok? And check in with us if you can!

Andy, ooooh you have so many great ideas!! I'd LOVE to share music, burn tapes or CD's! I probably couldn't be organized enough to send one to everyone, but I could send to a few! (as long as no one minds.... um..... "borrowed" music.... )
I have something for you (and for Karen!), and they are sitting on my kitchen table... I'm AWFUL about hitting the post office... :

Laura, GO NIP'ing Mama!!! Wooo hooooooo!!! Gosh, this is almost bringing tears to my eyes! What a lot you have been through, and all you have committed to bf'ing. What a proud moment for you.

Nicole, welcome back! Good luck trying to catch up.... tried that a couple of times and boy is it hard! I hope you had a fun vacation

Going to post this, since I've been doing some photo editing at the same time and don't want to close it by accident....
#532 of 535 Old 08-01-2005, 12:35 AM

Ooooh! Brynn got up on her hands and knees this afternoon ~ first time I've noticed her being able to push up all the way to her knees. Uh, I guess this means that crawling's not that far off???? eeeeek!
#533 of 535 Old 08-01-2005, 02:31 AM

Oh Kathy, Luka is right there with Brynn. the rocking back and forth. poor baby is cutting a tooth and is soooo unhappy. when we sat down to eat dinner he just screamed and screamed so he and i went into the bath instead. that made him feel better. now he's giggling with the brothers. ya never know what'll work!
#534 of 535 Old 08-01-2005, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Aviva- Japhet is a coootie!!! I dunno why I guess I was expecting you to look like the Aviva I know I guess all the Avivas have to look alike?? lame me!
Well remember, Aviva is my Hebrew name so I've mostly been an Erica all my life. Do I look more like an Erica? I may just go back to using Erica its getting confusing to remember who knows me as what...but I just have so loved being able to use Aviva more that I'd be sad to give it up.

Thanks for the compliments I think Japhy is pretty cute too even though he woke up at 4:45 this am and now he's finally gone back to sleep and I can't. I'm repeating my mantra a lot this am... "it's just a phase, it's just a phase, it's just a phase"

Aviva/Erica/someone
#535 of 535 Old 08-01-2005, 09:10 AM

New thread! New thread!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...53#post3547553

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page